Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Them

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

It depends. Relaxed Rick is handsome. Exhausted, sweaty, noxious levels of man-stank, critterbeard Rick? Not so much. Take charge, break a man's back with a police car, they're messing with the wrong people, Ricktatorship Rick? I'd throw him down on the ground and have my way with him in a second.

On a completely unrelated note, I read through that photo recap and fully intend to greet my husband with "Mornin' sugar tits. Fuck naptime." when he gets home from work in the morning.

Oh we agree.  Critterbeard has got to go.  I know Andy is enjoying making feral Rick look worse than the feral dogs (I guess that is what pretty boys dream of, looking rough and rugged), but enough is e-damn-nough now.  That right there is always my cue for whether or not he and Michonne are platonic.  If Rick wants any action at all...well let's just say that between looking for the Governor, food for Judith and comics for Carl, Michonne made a point of picking up a razor for Rick.  She already let him know what he needs to do.  Same goes for Chewbaca, er, Daryl.

• Love 3

I found it interesting that Abraham smacked the possibly poisoned water out of Eugene's hand. Why is he still so protective of Eugene? Force of habit?

You would think he would force Eugene to test water and food, after all he put them all through with his lies.

Also, why did Eugene volunteer to do "quality assurance"? Was it because he was the weakest and couldn't deal with the thirst any longer or because he wanted to find some way to contribute to the group after all he had done?

• Love 2

I found it interesting that Abraham smacked the possibly poisoned water out of Eugene's hand. Why is he still so protective of Eugene? Force of habit?

You would think he would force Eugene to test water and food, after all he put them all through with his lies.

Also, why did Eugene volunteer to do "quality assurance"? Was it because he was the weakest and couldn't deal with the thirst any longer or because he wanted to find some way to contribute to the group after all he had done?

My impression is that he wants to be a part of the group, and he knows he has little to offer. So he volunteered to drink the water.  I, too, thought it odd that Abraham reacted as strongly as he did.  But then I thought about it. Maybe Abraham thinks (rightly so) that they need every man, woman and child, no matter how weak. I was fully expecting Judith to get up and help bolster the barn door.  The fact that she didn't . . . well, it may be too early to call her lazy.  But I've got my eyes on her!

• Love 9

That worm? I swear when I saw Daryl holding it, I was grossed out enough. When I saw where it was headed, I couldn't slam my eyelids shut fast enough and I nearly gagged.

I love worms. They're essential for our survival and they make my garden nice,  but they have a very thick coating of SLIME. Like, really slimy slime. That was seriously one of the most stomach-turning sights on this show so far, for me at least.

• Love 2

I couldn't handle the worm eating, either.  If he had made a smacking noise I would have heaved.

A little nitpick.  The dogs they were eating looking juicy and super tender.  I would imagine that feral dog meat would be pretty tough, especially when cooked quickly over an open fire.  I can't believe I just typed that.

• Love 6

I didn't understand why Rick suddenly changed their plan of attack re: the walkers on the ridge. So Sasha stabbed one of them...so what? It's not like the other walkers would have been all "you killed Doug! You bitch! Attack all at once, guys!" Why couldn't our group have continued with their plan of 'lure and evade'?

My perception of that scene was that they knew Sasha wasn't going to stop at just that one zombie, and Rick was afraid that she would get overrun and bitten.  Didn't he say something like, "they're going to flank her" or something like that just before the group jumped to help her?  Maybe that was my imagination but my feeling was that Sasha wasn't going to let it go with that one zombie, and despite what she told Michonne about being able to take them all by herself, she really couldn't, and so they needed to join her. 

• Love 3

-  The dead frogs.  Something to keep an eye on for later, or just another visual clue that they can't find food for nothing?  (like with Daryl coming across the decayed deer carcass)

I wondered aloud whether they should gather the frogs for food but the hubby said that they could be poisonous, depending on how long they've been left out. I thought it was biblical foreshadowing. Which wasn't helped by the epic storm and torrential rain...then the miraculous passing over of the barn and the lovely sunrise afterward. All that was missing was a dove with an olive branch (of whatever) in its mouth. ;)

No one but the audience knows that Tyrese was ambushed while looking at photos, so her stupid comment was out of place.

Hm. I'd forgotten that he was alone. But I can fanwank that he told them what happened and how during all the gaps in time before he died. :)

My vote is "all of the above".

Didn't he say something like, "they're going to flank her" or something like that just before the group jumped to help her? 

Ah, thanks. I knew that he yelled something, but I couldn't make it out. That makes sense.

• Love 2

I haven't seen any outrage over the dogs, to be honest.

And that's what I said a ways up. It came off as a mistake on Michonne's part due to exhaustion and all they'd been through. I was more questioning why so many people didn't see it as a mistake but were all " you tell her!" I do like when the characters aren't perfect. I think they'd all be snapping and saying cruel things to each other.

I was all "you tell her!" and was praying for Michonne to kick Sasha's ass because I can't stand that character :)  I've never been able to warm up to her or even see why she is on the show to begin with. 

The most depressing hour of television I've seen since Buffy found her mom dead on the sofa.

Pretty much every forum I read mentions something that happened on Buffy. I may be years behind on pop culture, but surely I'm not the only one who hasn't seen Buffy yet. Are we really allowed to spoil other shows in these forums?

• Love 6

That worm? I swear when I saw Daryl holding it, I was grossed out enough. When I saw where it was headed, I couldn't slam my eyelids shut fast enough and I nearly gagged.

I love worms. They're essential for our survival and they make my garden nice,  but they have a very thick coating of SLIME. Like, really slimy slime. That was seriously one of the most stomach-turning sights on this show so far, for me at least.

But they keep his hair from drying out!

• Love 3

Pretty much every forum I read mentions something that happened on Buffy. I may be years behind on pop culture, but surely I'm not the only one who hasn't seen Buffy yet. Are we really allowed to spoil other shows in these forums?

Ok! Penny!!
  • Love 2

Joe said it was New Year's Eve (how he would know that, I'm not sure)

I don't think Joe was saying it was literally New Year's Eve there, because I just can't imagine him (or ANYone, for that matter) keeping count of the days or months since the fecal matter hit that fan.  I think he was using as an analogy, meaning that if he and his gang had decided to call it a day and settle down for the night instead of pushing on, they would have missed their chance to catch Rick as HE was settled down, kinda like going to bed early on New Year's Eve and missing all the fun and excitement.

It's only been maybe a bit more than a  month since the fall of the prison, I believe.  A couple of weeks between the fall of the prison and Terminus.  A couple of days (maybe a week at most) between Terminus and Grady.  And Nicotero said it was 17 days between Beth's death and Ty's.

Honestly I think, coming down a bit off of his anger and, no doubt, humiliation from Eugene's ruse, Abraham is probably experiencing three separate truths: 1.  Eugene lied because he is not too far from utterly helpless and he did what he did out of fear ; 2. Eugene giving him a mission saved his life and he seems to have decided that he does indeed want to live; and 3.  Over the year plus that he bulldozed his way across the country protecting Eugene some part of him began to care about Eugene the person, not the mission.  I'm sure that he is still angry almost to the point of hatred but I don't think he wants Eugene to die, and if Eugene DOES die its because he killed him.

I wondered aloud whether they should gather the frogs for food but the hubby said that they could be poisonous, depending on how long they've been left out. I thought it was biblical foreshadowing.

My thought was that the dead frogs represented a tainted water source.  Like from runoff from a now abandoned factory or from all the decaying dead or really anything.  At any rate, if it is killing the indigenous wildlife, it's probably smart to steer clear.

I really wish people wouldn't and that particular spoiler is a big one.  That said, Buffy, Angel, and Firefly are on Netflix.  Please go watch.  I've been a Whedonite from the beginning and you can see that they really were something special.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1

As someone who just watched Buffy for the first time last year, having been spoiled on that particular plot point by a podcast, that episode still really, really worked. Buffy is generally a show that it's going to be hard to avoid getting spoiled on in pop culture discussion circles, at least the ones I travel in.

Site policy is to spoiler-tag any major spoilers (like that one) from recent shows. Older shows, it's polite not to just throw them around, but not a hard-and-fast rule.

• Love 3
IGUESSNOT, ON 18 FEB 2015 - 02:22 AM, SAID:

No one but the audience knows that Tyrese was ambushed while looking at photos, so her stupid comment was out of place.

Hm. I'd forgotten that he was alone. But I can fanwank that he told them what happened and how during all the gaps in time before he died. :)

I assumed Michonne was referring to how Tyreese acted after his beloved Karen was killed, such as when he refused to let go of that walker stuck in the ivy at the gas station (on that supply run to the vet school). To us, the whole Karen thing seems like a million years ago but to them, as said before, it's probably only been a month - month and a half. That's really the only way that comment can make any sense based on what Michonne has experienced of Tyreese firsthand unless I'm missing something else.

• Love 7

For a show that ended a decade or so ago? Hellz yeah.

As someone who just watched Buffy for the first time last year, having been spoiled on that particular plot point by a podcast, that episode still really, really worked. Buffy is generally a show that it's going to be hard to avoid getting spoiled on in pop culture discussion circles, at least the ones I travel in.

Buffy is Buffy, and it is on TV more than Leave it to Beaver reruns. If you fully get the preceding and you are a woman, PM me. We need to hang, for March madness is almost upon us.

So I guess we can't mention who Luke Skywalker's real dad is, right (it ain't Chewbacca, that's for sure)? Or what is really in Soylent Green (it certainly isn't dog meat)?

Not really comparable. The first is one of the most iconic movies of all time, that the vast majority of people here have watched, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone here who didn't know that. People who've watched Buffy may well be the majority here, but it's definitely not nearly as overwhelming a majority as people who've watched Star Wars.

The second is a not-that-great movie far more famous for that line than anything else: not only do most people here probably already know what Soylent Green is, but those who don't aren't missing out on much, and it's also far less culturally pervasive than any given Buffy spoiler.

Would the original post really have been any worse if it had been "The most depressing hour of television I've seen since Buffy

found her mom dead on the sofa

."?

Anyway, here's the official word from TPTB.

• Love 1

My thought was that the dead frogs represented a tainted water source.  Like from runoff from a now abandoned factory or from all the decaying dead or really anything.  At any rate, if it is killing the indigenous wildlife, it's probably smart to steer clear.

But a tainted water source can still have water flowing; it was all gone in this case. When Sasha was digging her toe in the dirt (before she found the frogs), I wondered what she was doing. Then I realized that she appeared to following the path of an old stream or little river that had dried up.

I think she was toeing at the ground and realized that was silt(?); it had once been underwater but no longer (as an extra big anvil that it is super hot and has been for a while...maybe even drought conditions). Then she saw the frogs and it just drilled it home that there used to be water here but it was long gone now.

Still doesn't explain why these dipshits walked in the full sun on hot tarmac during the day rather than the shade and/or at night when it's cooler. Less sweat, less need for water.

I felt that the actors did a great job showing their zombie-fied selves, listless from the heat and thirst, but it didn't stop me from screaming at the screen that they were all a bunch of fucking dumbasses. :)

Is it wrong to want Judith to reach up and just rip a hunk out of the dead animal that's on her father's face? It's the only way I can see Rick trimming that fucker...

• Love 3

The second is a not-that-great movie far more famous for that line than anything else: not only do most people here probably already know what Soylent Green is, but those who don't aren't missing out on much

First: I agree about erring on the side of caution (and forum standards) with spoilers.

Second: I don't think that anyone's opinion of a film, TV show, book, etc. has anything to do with whether or not a spoiler is in order. I do think that chronological time is much more a relative factor--there must be some sort of spoiler statute of limitations. I won't spoil the end of Shyamalan's The Village for anyone (even though I think it's crap), but I will sure as hell tell you what happened at the end of Citizen Kane (even though I think it's brilliant).

And just to beat a thoroughly dead horse: Ahem! With respect, speaking as one who was a teenager when Soylent Green hit theaters, broad-brushing the film (and anyone's relative interest in it) is a little much--we are talking personal taste here, after all. The fact is, Soylent Green was extremely popular when it came out, and the reason that particular line is still in the lexicon is because of the real shock value it had at the time. In 2015, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a book or film about a dystopian future, but back then, that particular genre was sparsely populated. The film seems campy now, but I'd wager that in 42 more years, sci-fi lovers will still know what soylent green is made of. We'll see if Buffy and her ilk have the same longevity. Well, some of YOU will see...I'll either be dead or too old to give a shit. ;)

• Love 8

My perception of that scene was that they knew Sasha wasn't going to stop at just that one zombie, and Rick was afraid that she would get overrun and bitten.  Didn't he say something like, "they're going to flank her" or something like that just before the group jumped to help her?  Maybe that was my imagination but my feeling was that Sasha wasn't going to let it go with that one zombie, and despite what she told Michonne about being able to take them all by herself, she really couldn't, and so they needed to join her. 

Rick instructed the others:  "Stay in line.  Flank her.  Keep it controlled."

Followed by Abraham's glorious:  "Plan just got dicked."

So Rick was telling the others to flank Sasha, and I imagine it's because she was acting in an unpredictable manner, and temporarily dangerous.

• Love 7
Poor Maggie couldn't even sit and have a decent cry without one of them interrupting her. I imagined her thinking something like, "Oh, FFS! Now I have get up and kill that silly thing. What a bore."

That reminded me of the flashback in the first half of this season, when they showed Carol after Rick had banished her. She's trying to have a moment and just cry it out, when some braindead moron has to come pounding on the car window. In a way, it's comical. But it's also really sad, that in this world you really have no time to just let your guard down and process. 

• Love 7

Is it wrong to want Judith to reach up and just rip a hunk out of the dead animal that's on her father's face? It's the only way I can see Rick trimming that fucker...

My uncle only shaved his annual winter beard because his toddler daughter hated it.

Site policy is to spoiler-tag any major spoilers (like that one) from recent shows. Older shows, it's polite not to just throw them around, but not a hard-and-fast rule.

Good to know. Because I saw something just the other day that possible spoiled Downton Abbey. I immediately scrolled down, so I'm not sure if they actually did, but it seemed like it was heading that way. (And not in the DA forum.)

• Love 3

I haven't watched Buffy, either, but I'll forget most spoilers before I get around to watching the whole thing. 

I was pissed years ago, when someone posted a big spoiler for the newest Harry Potter book, because they were in a bad mood. That was on the Project Greenlight forums.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Yes! Now these zombies just elicit eyerolls and sighs of exasperation instead of terror.

Why can't one of them yell, before killing a walker, "I'm trying to have a decent emotional breakdown here, do you fricking mind!!!??"

I wonder how they plan on dealing with the real realities of Carl growing up... I can see him constantly getting interrupted while trying to rub one out - or instead of just being able to sit back a minute and enjoy the release & maybe have a cig, he'll have to shank a walker or two.  "Whew, that was close.  'Dirty' hand slipped on the blade handle!".

• Love 1

I was fully expecting Judith to get up and help bolster the barn door.  The fact that she didn't . . . well, it may be too early to call her lazy.  But I've got my eyes on her!

Her new name is Li'l Freeloader. The whole episode, that kid did nothing! And she made the rest of them carry her around! I'm so over her. ;)

I really wish people wouldn't and that particular spoiler is a big one.  That said, Buffy, Angel, and Firefly are on Netflix.  Please go watch.  I've been a Whedonite from the beginning and you can see that they really were something special.

No one said when the spoiler is from, so that's something, anyway. Although maybe that's even worse, because the spoiled new watcher will just be sitting and waiting for a particular thing to happen! I'd say, try to forget anything you've ever heard about any of those shows, and I agree -- start your binge watching! Angel started its 1st season when Buffy was starting its 4th season, so keep that in mind and make sure to start Buffy first; they're related. Firefly is a separate entity and a very quick binge-watch (1 season and a movie, called Serenity, also on Netflix last time I checked).

Sorry for the off-topic-ness.

• Love 2

I love Sasha and Maggie's relationship. I hope it get develop more and have some decent screen time.

As for the Michonne/Sasha scene, I think Michonne tried to show Sasha some compassion ( Michonne way) when Sasha first express her desire to go fight the walkers behind,  by just telling Sasha that they were too weak physically to fight battles that weren't necessary. But Sasha like an angry idiot responded that she can take them herself.  Like the group wouldn't rush to her aid when she go after the walker. Like that wouldn't be putting the group in danger. 

That's when Michonne realized that compassion wasn't working, so she went the hard/brutal truth, which was that one of the things that got Tyrese killed was that he was angry and that anger made him stupid.  Michonne WANTED to make Sasha angry because she wanted that anger to redirect that anger at her. Because if Sasha is angry at the world, she will be trying to fight the walker to get that anger out, since that will the only way she can express that anger. But if she is angry at Michonne, she will be directing that anger at Michonne, which will make her less likely to act stupid in her anger. 

Unfortunately, that didn't seems to work, and that only thing that worked was when Michonne decided to challenge her head on.  So I had no problem with what Michonne said and did in regard to Sasha. 

I was pissed years ago, when someone posted a big spoiler for the newest Harry Potter book, because they were in a bad mood. That was on the Project Greenlight forums.

Dating myself here:  when I was in college this guy was answering some question in class and he decided to talk about the (at the time in theaters) movie Thelma and Louise.  He said, and I quote, "I don't want to give away the end but at the end they......."  Except in the dot dot part he actually told the end.  I, being me,  shouted "God dammit! Are you f---ing serious?!". The classroom erupted in laughter, he blushed and swore he was sorry.  I however vowed to hate him, as I do, until the end of time.

Edited one more time to add:  As posted above, don't start Angel until Season 4 of Buffy, however when you DO start Angel, watch them concurrently because there are a few crossovers where the story starts in Buffy and continues into Angel.  Also, the big spoiler posted above happens in the later years so you don't need to watch the first few seasons holding your breath waiting for it. 

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 6

Slimy... yet satisfying.

• Love 6

Slimy... yet satisfying.

I figured that's why Daryl wouldn't drink the water - he felt guilty that he didn't share his worms...I too cringed almost as bad as I did when they ate Bob.  I have neatly put the fact that they ate a dog in a little box and tucked it away in my mind.

So why do you all suppose Daryl didn't say anything about the barn before they needed shelter?  Why didn't he check it out when there could be nourishment in there?  Did he not have enough time?  Was he planning on pulling a Carol and slipping away from the group later and needed somewhere to go?

• Love 2

You just described a sizable chunk of my family tree.

At the age of 86, my grampa couldn't stand without using both hands to hold on to something so when he needed to pee he'd sit on the toilet seat in reverse. facing the tank, and one night I had to help him because he was doing this and the lid suddenly came down and smashed him and the pain made him fall over backwards on the floor and he yelled If you ever want to rip your balls off in a hurry that's the way to do it!

Off topic yes; but still, good times.

• Love 8

At the age of 86, my grampa couldn't stand without using both hands to hold on to something so when he needed to pee he'd sit on the toilet seat in reverse. facing the tank, and one night I had to help him because he was doing this and the lid suddenly came down and smashed him and the pain made him fall over backwards on the floor and he yelled If you ever want to rip your balls off in a hurry that's the way to do it!

OK, you're getting gross now. Can we get back to discussing zombie guts, grimy hair and beards and eating worms and dogs? :-)

• Love 5

I love old people/grandparents.  They can be the most unintentionally hilarious people ever.

What a hilarious story for an ER person to (possibly) endure.  [ER nurse/dr.]:  "How did you end up here?"  *done in crotchety old man voice*:  "I was reverse-cowboying the toilet seat when the lid decided to play whack-a-mole with my bait & tackle!"

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 6

I love Sasha and Maggie's relationship. I hope it get develop more and have some decent screen time.

As for the Michonne/Sasha scene, I think Michonne tried to show Sasha some compassion ( Michonne way) when Sasha first express her desire to go fight the walkers behind,  by just telling Sasha that they were too weak physically to fight battles that weren't necessary. But Sasha like an angry idiot responded that she can take them herself.  Like the group wouldn't rush to her aid when she go after the walker. Like that wouldn't be putting the group in danger. 

That's when Michonne realized that compassion wasn't working, so she went the hard/brutal truth, which was that one of the things that got Tyrese killed was that he was angry and that anger made him stupid.  Michonne WANTED to make Sasha angry because she wanted that anger to redirect that anger at her. Because if Sasha is angry at the world, she will be trying to fight the walker to get that anger out, since that will the only way she can express that anger. But if she is angry at Michonne, she will be directing that anger at Michonne, which will make her less likely to act stupid in her anger. 

Unfortunately, that didn't seems to work, and that only thing that worked was when Michonne decided to challenge her head on.  So I had no problem with what Michonne said and did in regard to Sasha. 

You see Michonne watched this episode of NCIS where Paula Cassidy's team was.......... Then Ziva made Paula redirect her anger towards her. Then at the end of the episode..............................

• Love 1

This is a random thought, but I really think it's time for a time jump.  It's increasingly difficult to remember that all these things have happened in such a short period of time.  It's starting to feel like 24, when I complain - God, why is he still talking about that six episodes later??  And realize that it's only been six hours show time.  I feel we need to get past the newness of grief, because there are some that are going to say - why is so and so still crying about that character dying.  Plus we can move beyond all the complaints that character x didn't appreciate character y, therefore doesn't have the right to cry now.  It's tedious. 

I want a home base so I can stop worrying about Judith's sunburn.  I want at least the top layer of grime scrubbed off.  I want to stop worrying that Eugene and/or FPP are going to get somebody killed with their ineptitude.  I want to see some of the sense of accomplishment and contentedness they felt when they were securing the prison.  And I don't want to see them eating worms, feral dog, or human.  And it's increasingly hard to believe that Carl hasn't even hit puberty yet.

I think we need to see them at these low points, for even a basic sense of a post-apocalyptic world, but I don't know how they're going to continue the SL with such a large group on foot, going nowhere fast, while slowly starving.  I can't handle another The Road.

• Love 6

I'm curious as to how we're going to find out how Aaron knows Rick's name, and he's the leader of the group.  It has to be from someone they've encountered before, or someone that's heard of them from someone we've met in the previous 4.6 seasons.

If not, can we just drop all pretense and just name Rick Grimes the "Superman of the ZA"?  Because that's what he'll be, if someone never met before - nor informed by past characters - knows of him.  Hell, even if it was a 'name dropper' that gave away his presence of awesomeness, he's still rapidly approaching "SotZA" status already.

• Love 1

I want a home base so I can stop worrying about Judith's sunburn.  I want at least the top layer of grime scrubbed off. 

I was amazed that, when it finally started raining, people either laid down in the street or just stood there, with their faces tilted up and mouths open. I think I would have been trying to get a drink while scrubbing at my face, hair and clothes, trying to get the worst of the dirt and grime off me. I mean, can you imagine the fucking amazing 'water pressure' of that downpour?

And the tornado's winds would have been a nice way to cool off and dry out afterward. ;)

I just had to laugh that, for the entire episode, they wanted water. They finally get water and they're all "yikes, let's get out of the rain!" (I appreciate that it was a big storm, but still...)

• Love 7

I'm curious as to how we're going to find out how Aaron knows Rick's name, and he's the leader of the group.  It has to be from someone they've encountered before, or someone that's heard of them from someone we've met in the previous 4.6 seasons.

If not, can we just drop all pretense and just name Rick Grimes the "Superman of the ZA"?  Because that's what he'll be, if someone never met before - nor informed by past characters - knows of him.  Hell, even if it was a 'name dropper' that gave away his presence of awesomeness, he's still rapidly approaching "SotZA" status already.

I'm just assuming that he, or one of his group, has been following them for a little while at least, because they left water.  The mystery for me is how did this man follow them and leave all that water without breaking a sweat?  Did he run home real quick, shower and change clothes for the special occasion of meeting them face to face?  I did notice that his shirt was wrinkled and hadn't been ironed so shame on him.

• Love 4

So why do you all suppose Daryl didn't say anything about the barn before they needed shelter? Why didn't he check it out when there could be nourishment in there?

Bad writing. Like how that walker behind Maggie made such a ruckus, while the one that got Tyreese was super stealthy.

• Love 4

Bad writing. Like how that walker behind Maggie made such a ruckus, while the one that got Tyreese was super stealthy.

Not to mention how Mags' walker just conveniently walked into a tangled mess that allowed itself to be trapped and she could leisurely & casually just reach out and give it a lobotomy.

• Love 5