Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Guest Stars: Treat 'em and street 'em

Recommended Posts

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling. I loved Sally Fields as Abby's mom and wished she'd made another appearance after the birth of Joe. She finally seemed to be taking better care of herself, and it was wonderful to see her help Abby through that whole messy ordeal. But then - poof! - she was gone.

 

I was rather annoyed when Abby and Luca didn't have a real wedding either but had a pretend TV wedding with coworkers in a magical loft (really? Who DOES that?) because it was cheaper than actually hiring new actors to portray Luca's family or bring back Sally Fields and the guy who played Abby's brother.

 

Oh! And Dubenko - he had a special needs sister that appeared only once, during a Christmas montage where he gave her a present. My heart kind of broke for him and I assumed we'd see more of this subplot. Nope! The sister was never mentioned again, even when he briefly ran off with Skye to do some adventuring.

 

OH OH! And Abby's father! They totally DROPPED that one. There he was, and then poof. Never to be seen again.

Edited by DisneyBoy

Share this post


Link to post

Before Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Mariska Hargitay (with super long hair!) was Cynthia, the wreck of a weepy desk clerk whom Mark had a fling with in Season 4.

Well, Anthony Edwards is about to appear in a guest role this upcoming season on SVU, so Mark and Cynthia will reunite!

(Yeah, as exciting as a toothache!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my god, Cynthia was quite possibly the most annoying character in the show's history.  I very nearly did not watch SVU when it premiered because that's all I knew Mariska Hargitay from.  (I quit SVU a long, long time ago - season five or six, maybe? - so I won't see this reunion.)

For some reason, I have very few clear memories of this show even though I watched it regularly for quite a few years; it sucks that one of the things I do still have in my mind is Cynthia!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2016 at 6:39 PM, Bastet said:

Oh my god, Cynthia was quite possibly the most annoying character in the show's history.  I very nearly did not watch SVU when it premiered because that's all I knew Mariska Hargitay from.  (I quit SVU a long, long time ago - season five or six, maybe? - so I won't see this reunion.)

For some reason, I have very few clear memories of this show even though I watched it regularly for quite a few years; it sucks that one of the things I do still have in my mind is Cynthia!

I couldn't stand Cynthia either! ugh she totally ruined season 4 for me and that's one of my favorite seasons of the show, I always fast forward her scenes when I watch my DVD's and of course she & Mark never had any chemistry at all, but that's not the point. Thank god she wasn't a long term character though.

Edited by ESS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I saw an episode yesterday where Sara Rue showed up as a teenager who had slept with a boy at school who gave her gonorrhea and promptly dumped her after their one date.  She was upset about the situation and about being a little overweight and unpopular.  Ross was good with her, giving her advice about how the right guy would come along eventually.  I recognized her immediately, even with her being a little chubbier and having long hair (and being a teenager at the time!)--she has changed a lot since then, though.

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't realize that Corday's mother was played by Judy Parfitt.  I know her as Sister Monica Joan on PBS's 'Call the Midwife'.  She's great!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I didn't realize that Corday's mother was played by Judy Parfitt.  I know her as Sister Monica Joan on PBS's 'Call the Midwife'.  She's great!

They had some heavy hitters (prestige and/or longevity in the industry) as characters' moms on this show -- Parfitt as Corday's, but also Mary McDonnell as Carter's, Sally Field as Abby's, Beah Richards as Peter's, Piper Laurie as Doug's, Bonnie Bartlett as Mark's ... undoubtedly more I'm forgetting.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Shia leboeuf played Darnell, a kid with Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy.  

643A8533-941B-448A-AC54-EF1655F12BDE-5506-0000061CDAD98A15.jpeg

Emile Hirsch played a child alcoholic.

Edited by Mrs Shibbles · Reason: Photo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/1/2017 at 3:12 AM, Bastet said:

They had some heavy hitters (prestige and/or longevity in the industry) as characters' moms on this show -- Parfitt as Corday's, but also Mary McDonnell as Carter's, Sally Field as Abby's, Beah Richards as Peter's, Piper Laurie as Doug's, Bonnie Bartlett as Mark's ... undoubtedly more I'm forgetting.

Paul Dooley of Sixteen Candles fame as Susan's dad. Funny how Gedde Watanabe, another actor in that movie (Long Duk Dong!) joined the show later as Yosh, one of the nurses.  :-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Don't forget Valerie Perrine as Cookie Lewis, Susan's mom.  A straight line to Kathleen Wilhoite's Chloe, if there ever was one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2017 at 2:50 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Paul Dooley of Sixteen Candles fame as Susan's dad. Funny how Gedde Watanabe, another actor in that movie (Long Duk Dong!) joined the show later as Yosh, one of the nurses.  :-)

I mentioned this is the other thread, but Justin Henry, who played Molly Ringwald's brother, also appeared as Anna's med student. 

So, I discovered something fun!  I was watching a show and left to go to the store. When I came back The Cleveland Show was on, which I've never watched. But one of the voices was unmistakably that of Patrick, the sweet special needs character from ER season one. I looked it up to verify, and that dude has done an AMAZING amount of voice work. His imdb credits are endless. His name is Kevin Michael Richardson if you want to see for yourself. Go, Patrick!  :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

A couple familiar faces in "A Match Made In Heaven"....  the dad from the Wonder Years as a man with leukemia, and Kerri Green (from 80s movies The Goonies and Lucas) as the woman with 5 kids who is pregnant again. 

Share this post


Link to post

George's Aunt Rosemary was a guest on an episode yesterday and in true Rosemary Clooney style she sang most of the episode when she wasn't crying that is

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, starri said:

Glenne Headly has passed away rather unexpectedly. 

Oh, wow.  :-(  And she was still fairly young! It's really none of our business, but I do wonder what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BBHN said:

Apparently, it was from a pulmonary embolism...

Oh, God. Those are awful. And many times, come without warning.  :-(  Prayers to her loved ones. As an aside, I never realized she was once married to John Malkovich, per the obituary write up on Variety's site.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Caught the name of Rebecca De Mornay's character in the UO thread..."Elaine Nichols".

Not the first time the series had fun with names.  This one is a combo of the great 60s comic duo, Elaine May & Mike Nichols (pre-career change to director).

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, God. Those are awful. And many times, come without warning.  :-(  Prayers to her loved ones. As an aside, I never realized she was once married to John Malkovich, per the obituary write up on Variety's site.

Yeah, my mom passed from a pulmonary embolism. She had other illnesses but the PE seemed to come out of nowhere. 

I was surprised about the Malkovich thing too. He seems like an intense dude to be married to. But I'm probably just thinking of some of his roles. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Lucy Alexis Liu has been on as the mom of the little boy with AIDS.  She now simply goes by Lucy Liu.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, LizDC said:

Tatiana ( Milana Vayntrub), the little Russian girl with AIDS from Season 1, is now Lily the AT&T salesperson and Kevin's co-star Sloane in This is Us.

I had no idea that was her! Love This is Us

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:
16 hours ago, LizDC said:

Tatiana ( Milana Vayntrub), the little Russian girl with AIDS from Season 1, is now Lily the AT&T salesperson and Kevin's co-star Sloane in This is Us.

Wow! Mind blown! I had no idea. She was so cute; it was sad when Carol couldn't adopt her. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everybody for all this information.  I find it really interesting because I don't know anybody.  Well, I recognized Sally Field and maybe one or two more, but then again, as I'm trying to remember, maybe not. Keep the info coming, my "ER" peeps!

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw an episode today with Jake Lloyd, the young Anakin from SW episode 1, he plays the son of the woman with cancer who keeps coming back in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

And in what I think was one of her first professional role, the late Kathryn Joosten as Mark's patient with hysterical psychosomatic blindness.

I loved that old broad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, starri said:

And in what I think was one of her first professional role, the late Kathryn Joosten as Mark's patient with hysterical psychosomatic blindness.

I loved that old broad.

Spotted her today and was wondering why Mrs. Landimgham was in Chicago lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Caught an episode with Ewan McGregor the other day as the robber of a convenience store who holds Carol and others hostage. Man, they really had everyone on this show at one point.

I've heard that Katee Sackhoff and Chris Pine both appeared on the show but in later seasons. I don't remember either of them on the show so I hope POP reairs more than the first six seasons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Erin Walton (Mary Elizabeth McDonough) is getting a kidney transplant, donated by her brother.  No, not John-Boy.  Some other guy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

Erin Walton (Mary Elizabeth McDonough) is getting a kidney transplant, donated by her brother.  No, not John-Boy.  Some other guy.  

Well, she did have four brothers...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Is that Bruno from "The West Wing" in "Think Warm Thoughts"?  Can't remember his real name.  Don't know his character's name either.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Automne said:

I see Jessica Chastain in the guest star credits in the beginning of the episode (S10E16 "Forgive and Forget").

Yes, major guest star sighting!  She plays the daughter of a guy with a chronic brain injury brought in with sepsis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...