Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/16/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Today's show was worth watching if only to see the adorable Miss P again!  Our beagle, Bailey, was mesmerized during her segment and he's appropriately in puppy love!

I love beagles! I love Westminster! Rocket the shih tzu was robbed! (As an aside, I remember when Bill Cosby and his Kerry blue terriers were regulars at Westminster. I can forgive dog lovers just about anything, but dozens of rapes and/or sexual assaults? Not so much).

Regarding Whoopi's fashion sense, I guess she belongs to that celebrity subset for whom fashion rules don't apply: Helena Bonham Carter, Lady Gaga and Johnny Depp spring to mind. I suppose as long as she's clean the rest doesn't matter. It's her shtick. But after some posters here called her a toad in that bizarre black concoction from a few weeks back, all I see now is toad. A demented, petulant, uninformed toad with no manners and a mind sealed shut.

• Love 7

I wonder if Wendy Williams is gaining some viewers in numbers that will make someone wake up. A lady I take care of always had The View on in the morning. Not any more. Now it's either Wendy or Gilmore Girls.

From clips I've seen of her show, I'd love to watch Wendy Williams, but, unfortunately she's on a channel that isn't part of my "package".

• Love 1

I can forgive dog lovers just about anything, but dozens of rapes and/or sexual assaults? Not so much).

Come on now, as Whoopi would say, you weren't there.  And even if you were there, like Beverly Johnson, we'll interrogate you and not really believe you anyway.  Also, when you say "rape" do you mean "rape rape"??  I think I might have to pitch this show.  I've been with it since the beginning but Whoopi is just too much for me, even with the PVR.

• Love 10

I'm gone too. My season pass is deleted from the DVR. I truly enjoyed watching some years, and enjoyed hate-watching during snarkable years, but now it's just freaking boring. I'm out. I'll still check in here occasionally though -- you all are terrific!

• Love 11

Come on now, as Whoopi would say, you weren't there.  And even if you were there, like Beverly Johnson, we'll interrogate you and not really believe you anyway.  Also, when you say "rape" do you mean "rape rape"??  I think I might have to pitch this show.  I've been with it since the beginning but Whoopi is just too much for me, even with the PVR.

Wow, you nailed her! I'm a little scared. :)

I think the show has become Live With Kelly and Michael Light + Three and that's quite an achievement because If Live were any lighter it would float away. I was sooo looking forward to The View's take on the upcoming presidential election and listening to Rosie and Nicole spar like the two intelligent and curious women they are. Well, that dream died a quick death and it seems likely this show will be dead by then, too. :(

• Love 11
I guess she belongs to that celebrity subset for whom fashion rules don't apply: Helena Bonham Carter, Lady Gaga and Johnny Depp spring to mind.

All three celebrities at least put some thought and effort into what they wear.  Sometimes they look great; other times bizarre--it's almost always fun to see.  I don't think they ever look like they just fell off the rag man's truck...like some EGOT who shall remain nameless.

Also, Nicolle can quit the wide-eyed wonder ignorance any time.  It's really pissing me off!!

Yeah, Medicine Crow!  Maybe that worked in the Bush White House...but a California girl who does NOT know where/what Malibu is?  C'mon...that innocent game might work with the suck-up and ig-nernt celebrities you work with, but give us a break.  We're more savvy than that.

• Love 13

Maybe that worked in the Bush White House...but a California girl who does NOT know where/what Malibu is?  C'mon...that innocent game might work with the suck-up and ig-nernt celebrities you work with, but give us a break.  We're more savvy than that.

I think Nicolle dissed the viewers by making that stupid statement about Malibu...she really didn't think the rest of the US would know so she asked it for them??!!  Now that is stupid and rude!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 5

All three celebrities at least put some thought and effort into what they wear.  Sometimes they look great; other times bizarre--it's almost always fun to see.  I don't think they ever look like they just fell off the rag man's truck...like some EGOT who shall remain nameless

I would agree with this.  I don't think Whoopi puts any thought into how she looks.  Maybe the shoes. But that is it.  I truly believe she wakes up, grabs whatever clothes she sees first and that is her outfit for the day.  Because if a stylist at the View is dressing her then clearly that person is blind and a career in fashion is ill-advised.

I think Nicolle dissed the viewers by making that stupid statement about Malibu...she really didn't think the rest of the US would know so she asked it for them??!!  Now that is stupid and rude!

I would agree with this also.  It seems Nicolle has taken Barbara's spot at the resident host who thinks the View audience is a bunch of uneducated Neanderthals who need everything explained to us.

• Love 4

Stacey London did not bother me as much as usual, but she's still annoying.  Nicole's voice is so shrill and grating, and getting worse. 

Whoopi is an arrogant mess.

Rosie P is so irritating to me. I can't stand her most of the time.  As Nicole has to remind us that she is a  Republican on a daily basis, we also have Rosie P reminding us she is Latina!  We know!!  

I also can not stand Rosie P's nasally, annoying voice.  She also has the most annoying combinatioh of a very heavy NYC and latino accent.  Was she born in the US?  My mom and dad were born to imigrants who barely spoke english, and they had to translate for them, but they somehow do not have any accent at all of their parents' natrive tongue.  I honestly think that Rosie P puts both accents more heavily,  because she wants her identity to be totally wrapped around her nationality. 

• Love 2

Holy shit, I'm really starting to dislike Nicole. She's shrill, bossy and is starting to point her finger at the guest hosts with her opinion. She pointed it at Naya Rivera the other day over Naya liking the seasons and she is jumping down Padma's throat for having similar opinions to her own. Nicole's not listening, she's just being argumentative. Totally getting the mean girl, shrill harpy vibe from her. Add in the cackling, which is coming out full force and just yuk. Tone it down, ffs.

• Love 9

Holy shit, I'm really starting to dislike Nicole. She's shrill, bossy and is starting to point her finger at the guest hosts with her opinion. She pointed it at Naya Rivera the other day over Naya liking the seasons and she is jumping down Padma's throat for having similar opinions to her own. Nicole's not listening, she's just being argumentative. Totally getting the mean girl, shrill harpy vibe from her. Add in the cackling, which is coming out full force and just yuk. Tone it down, ffs.

Agreed, and I nearly choked on my coffee when she tried to make us believe that she was techno-challenged.  Give.me.a.break!!!

• Love 9

Agreed, and I nearly choked on my coffee when she tried to make us believe that she was techno-challenged.  Give.me.a.break!!!

And in the next breath "she wrote speeches in the WH?!"  Did I hear that correctly?!  Play it one way please and right now she is stupid if she thinks the viewers are!

• Love 6

Nicolle was unnecessarily aggressive today. Plus, I read Rosie's book and if I remember correctly, she didn't know who her father was in her early years and basically grew up in the system with occasional weekends at her grandmother or aunt's house. But today her father was so influential in her formative years. Guess I need to go back and read some of it again. Although it was hell to get thru the first time.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 3

Can someone remind Nicole that ISIS would not be a factor if her boss - Dubya - had not started an illegal war in Iraq?  This mess is his doing. Also, can we remind Gulianni- who btw is NOT my mayor, and is obnoxiou IMO - that 9/11 happened under Dubya , although the republican types love to Blame Clinton, even though Bush as in office for 9 months when it happened!    Also, who killed the Bin Laden?  Bush didn't want to go after him, since his family was buddies with Bin Laden's big oil family.  If Obama was somehow sympathizing with extremists, why would he be going to congress to get permission to fight against them?  

Honestly, it's almost hillarious how the party that Nicole needs to remind us about everyday, acts like they are the patriotic Americans, when they are the ones who made soldiers fight multiple tours for a useless war based on lies, and also had a leader in Bush who said that he didn't think it was important to get the guy who killed thousands of Americans on 9/11.

• Love 22

I tuned in today (SIGH) because I heard they would be talking about The Book of Negroes. It was an outstanding mini-series and I highly recommend to anyone interested. 

The panelists seemed to be shutting out Padma? 

I'm over Nicolle......Guiliani is America's Mayor??? She was the Communications Director for Bush and is tech-challenged???  And now learning "the google?"

And I wish she wouldn't answer her question to a guest within the question......it doesn't leave the guest with anything to say except WTH? And stop yelling.

Of course we got WG saying "the truth of the matter...."

• Love 11

Maggiemay, they had Louis Gossett on earlier this week to discuss The Book of Negroes. I don't know if they had planned on another guest to talk about it further today.

I'm over Nicole. Her jumping on the Giuliani bandwagon and repeating the despicable Republican talking point about Obama not being tough enough because he refuses to use a particular label has lost me.

• Love 8

President Obama's refusal to implicate the religion of Islam for the rise of ISIS is driving conservatives right out of their gourds and I love it! The rending of garments and gnashing of teeth is even funnier knowing that he's saying the exact same thing George W. Bush said and Whoopi has the video to prove it, lol. What isn't funny is the absolute failure of Republican politicians to stand with Obama on ANYTHING, including the War on Terror, a stance that is not only shameful but dangerous. A fractured country is easy pickings for outside forces and we have no one to blame but ourselves. And by that I mean the hard right.

Rudy Giuliani, you sound like a 13-year old girl drawing broken hearts in her spiral notebook during homeroom. Please.Stop.

• Love 23

Milk-Eyed Mender, thank you for hitting the nail on the head with your well written observation. I agree with you totally. If only the Republicans would work on presenting a unified message to the terrorists instead of attacking Obama on EVERYTHING he says, our country would be much stronger. Instead they pick apart literally every word he says. Nicole did a terrible job in defending Republicans, but I guess she has to utter something, because that's why she was hired, as the token Republican. In this case, I agreed with Whoopi on her remarks against Giuliani, that self serving ignoramus, and I appreciated her defense of our president.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 9

Whoopi is able to push back against Nicole in a way that Rosie couldn't. Rosiecseemed to be so emotionally charged, while fragile at the same time. I always had the feeling that she could pop her cork at any time. Whoopi isn't all that fragile, and doesn't seem like she needs to be calmed down.

Nicole is showing her true colors - finally - so I'm glad that other members of the panel are also not holding back.

• Love 2

Actually I think WG is fragile ...and a bully. I think the clique at the table is awful. But then I don't like people that ignore a guest host and shut them down. Not because I think PL is was good.l. But it is a clique now never the less. Trying to protect their own jobs.......with a little help from WG?

• Love 5

Nicole seems like she hates Padma. Padma is beautiful, worldly and intelligent so maybe it's jealousy. Nicole is practically disagreeing with every point Padma makes. Padma was married to Salman Rushdie so I think she knows a little about being attracted to people different from her but Nicole disagrees. Nicole is starting to act like a bitchy know-it-all and I am so tired of hearing about her White House BS.

• Love 10

I watched today since Barbara was on. It’s only too bad she’s aged so much, I’d prefer she just came back and moderated herself. This Padma whoever is actually pretty good. The only time I remember seeing her before this was the episode when Rosie O flirted with her. And she was better than that time she was on. Still, like Rosie P, not enough to make me put up with Nicolle and Whoopi. Speaking of, I don’t know what happened since Rosie O left, but Nicolle cannot shut up to save her life. During the interview with the movie person, she just kept speaking over him. Whoopi still doing the “yeah, right, hmm-hmm” while everyone else is speaking and getting the last word of every topic to same some wise sage platitudes that don't mean anything. STFU already, jeez.

• Love 4

Check out Padma's body language.  Seems to me she's turned more to BaWa with her back to Nicolle.

Speaking of Nicolle, she's wearing out her welcome with me.  Sick of hearing that she's a Republican & what a babe-in-the-woods she is.  Blech!!

Also, a small point of etiquette.  When Stacy was introducing Nicolle to the hair stylist & make-up artist (men), she introduced the men to Nicolle instead of the other way around.  Just curious, but it seemed to me that she should have introduced Nicolle to the men???

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 3

Wow. Way to completely degrade another human being on national TV, Nicolle. I'm sure your high school boyfriend thinks you're no prize either, but he doesn't have access to a talk show to trash you.

• Love 5

Wow. Way to completely degrade another human being on national TV, Nicolle. I'm sure your high school boyfriend thinks you're no prize either, but he doesn't have access to a talk show to trash you.

Gee Kenz, that must've gone right over my head.  What did she say?

Medicine Crow, I don't remember her exact words, but they were talking about people reconnecting with their first loves, and she indicated how awful and yucky her high school boyfriend was and how her taste in men had improved, then she said a sweet, "I love you, honey" meant for her husband. I hate myself for watching this show so that I can watch for all the many things that I dislike about Nicolle, but I truly can't tolerate her, and it's not just because she's a Republican.

• Love 5

After reading the comments here for the last couple of weeks, I decided to tune in today. Nicolle is getting worse than ever. That cackle drives me up the wall. I have always liked Padma, she has led a very interesting life. I wonder if Nicolle is smart enough to pick up on body language. Padma was none too subtle in showing what she thinks of her. Babs was Babs. I liked the look on her face when Whoopi said she wanted ABC news to send Babs to Cuba!

• Love 2

Padma is beautiful and elegant and I just love her soothing voice.  She is calm and can listen to a different point of view in an intellectual manner, pay attention Nicolle!  You have a master beside you!  Padma speaks and then wham your ears get shattered when Nicolle screams an outburst about how she doesn't agree because she "is a Republican and used to work in the WH"...gmab. 

My isn't Whoopi calm with BW in de house!  And Whoopi threw BW a bone about wanting to see her go back to Cuba and see it through her eyes.  

BW's face appears puffy and bloated in spots especially around her lips.  And does BW do her own makeup!? Too severe and caked on. Raccoon eyes.  Senior eyes become yellow and are not enhanced with black rimmed eyeliner!  It is hard watching her walk onto stage even with help because I am afraid she will fall even though she slides in her slippers.  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 5

Nicole seems like she hates Padma. Padma is beautiful, worldly and intelligent so maybe it's jealousy. Nicole is practically disagreeing with every point Padma makes. Padma was married to Salman Rushdie so I think she knows a little about being attracted to people different from her but Nicole disagrees. Nicole is starting to act like a bitchy know-it-all and I am so tired of hearing about her White House BS.

I agree completely.  Padma was married to Rushdie while he was in hiding.  That takes a lot of strength of character and she will not be intimidated and silenced by Nicole.  I hate Sarah Palin, but I am starting to have a little sympathy for her having to deal with Nicole.  When she first started on the View, some smart posters here were making negative comments about Nicole and I disagreed.  I now apologize to you all.  I am sending an e-mail to the network today to put my vote in for Padma.  I know they don't usually listen to the viewers but it will make me feel better.

• Love 6
BW's face appears puffy and bloated in spots especially around her lips.  And does BW do her own makeup!? Too severe and caked on.

There's also a lot of dark discoloration being almost covered.  I hope it's just aged skin and not bruising.

1.  Padma Lakshi is TOO GOOD for this show, but I sure would like to see her on a regular basis.  She's one smart/tough cookie.  I read that she speaks five languages...but I've never heard her mention it (or...Nicole, BRAG about it).

2.  Nicole needs some self-editing.  Wait...Nicole needs a lot of self-editing.  Can The View find some kind of coach for her?

So who is up for a seat on The View as co host and is this to replace Rosie O?

So far I don't care...probably won't be watching much longer.  They'd have to get someone really good--or really BAD! to keep me.

• Love 7

I was going to mention Padma's marriage to Salman Rushdie. Glad that it has been mentioned. Prior to his marriage to her, he was married to author Mary Ann Wiggins who went to high school with me. I know that Mary Ann was married to him went the fatwa was taken out against him. I couldn't even imagine what that would be like.

I noticed not much mentioned here about Hall and Oates performance yesterday. OK, I'll say it: I wish that they would lip sync to their old tracks. They were pretty much awful. Their voices are shot.

• Love 4

I noticed not much mentioned here about Hall and Oates performance yesterday. OK, I'll say it: I wish that they would lip sync to their old tracks. They were pretty much awful. Their voices are shot.

Hall and Oates were just terrible, I thought it was just me!  I could hardly hear Hall, I wondered if he forgot the words.  I just love their music but I actually FF'd because I didn't want to be reminded further of getting older...   

• Love 2

Does anyone think that Nicolle has been told to be more extreme?

I don't watch much anymore - glad I dodged the Babster bullet today - but it does sound like NW is out of control and on the way to Bitsy territory.  I mean pretending to be stupid herself, answering the very question she is asking and informing the country about where and what Malibu is?  Entitled reactionary repub to me.

Just sayin'

• Love 3

Does anyone think that Nicolle has been told to be more extreme?

This is what my thought is, too, based on the comments about how she's been all this week. Either she's finally showing her true colors now that a co-host like Rosie O isn't there to respond or she's been told to be crazier in order to make the show more "interesting" to combat ratings falling. "Make sparks," in other words.

• Love 4

So who is up for a seat on The View as co host and is this to replace Rosie O?  They have been using guest co hosts for a much longer time than that....is it more than one spot?

That's a good question.  I'm guessing it's whomever will work for the least amount of money - which would put London in the running. We know they don't really care about the quality of the show.  I'm with Former Nun: in order for me to watch again it needs to be someone either very good or very bad. 

After a quick Google search,  I can't see that London really has any credentials for this gig - she has a degree from Vassar in philosophy and German literature (whaaat?) and spent some time working at Vogue, and then a few years on What Not To Wear - which I watched for about a year about ten years ago.  Her personal life is either very private or very boring and neither one works on talk show where one is expected to share a certain amount about their life. [Did you know Nicolle has a three year old and used to work in the Bush White House?)    She is an official spokesperson (pimp) for several products.  But outside of that, sounds like she's desperately looking for a full time gig - even if it means sitting across from a fashion train wreck everyday.  My money's on her as the one willing to work for the least amount of money.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

They haven't been featuring Brooke Shields as a guest cohost this season. I liked her a lot, And she has done well, I think, appearing on the 3rd hour of Today occasionally.

If they insist on keeping WG and NW - Brooke and Padma could work for me. 

• Love 6

I rescind my objection to Padma.  I find her quite nice & well-rounded on the topics discussed.  Guess that's why Nicolle doesn't like her.

I have a friend who just retired & watched The View for the first time today (for five minutes).  She commented that BaWa being trotted out looks like "senior abuse", but that's just her take.

My take:  FFS show, BaWa is no longer relevant, even if Whoopi gets her wish & they send her to Cuba!!  LOL.

• Love 4

Padma has a pleasant voice and laugh, unlike Nicolle and Rosie P - and didn't seem to rely on blue cards. And so true - well rounded Medicine Crow.

I could get back to regular watching with most of the panel being adults and not being a buffoon, or know it all, or cackeling, or not getting their point across well.

Can we really be 8 months away from a whole new panel?

And a co-host working 3 days a week? Bad enough to have revolving co-hosts and BW dragging herself in let alone the show being taped days ago on Fri.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 3

I didn't know Padma was married to Rushdie.  Interesting. 

She is what I thought we were getting at the beginning of this season with Nicole and the Rosies-- intelligent women who could discuss relevant hot topics with some measure of understanding.  Instead we still have Whoopi yelling nonsense over everyone and doing fart jokes.  Sigh.

• Love 3