Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Episode Five

maraleia

The scene where Eileen said she was on a plane.. Pitch perfect.

I love love love the running gag about Mornins ve. "You look younger now!" And her reminders of all the 70s stars, Angie Dickinson, Herve villa chaise...

The scene in the agency was the BEST.

• Love 3

Matt's face at the end was priceless.

I knew that revelation was coming, but it was a great note on which to end the episode.  My husband just watched this with me.  He's only seen a few episodes and doesn't really know the characters, but he was laughing almost as hard as I was.  It just keeps getting better!

• Love 2

oh holy hell that was funny.  First off, major kudos to the show for keeping the Schwimmer appearance under wraps - surprised they didn't hype the living crap out of it, as Pucks did when they were expecting a "Friend" guest spot.  I was stunned, and on top of that, that was funny as hell - "they shot my driver!"

Matt's reactions to watching video of his younger self are always poignant.  I feel for ya, buddy.  I have the same reaction to seeing pictures of me when I was young: what the hell happened! (As Morning snarked 'I wonder')

Sean fragging Tim the way he did was beautiful.

More than any single thing I am so so so loving Carol + Helen.  I keep expecting the writers to have one of them do something really stupid or mean, and instead they keep being smart, witty and awesome!  Love it!

• Love 4

Also good for Sean for standing up for himself and Beverly.  Oh no. LOL

And judging by the look of that slimy ex-partner, I'd say Sean is 90% right about him just typing up his ideas, instead of contributing something significant. Otherwise, if he's confident that he was a huge part of the original idea, he'd take on Sean on his "him or us" threat. 

• Love 1

I howled with glee at the cameo. Was not expecting it, and Schwimmer was such a good sport. It's amazing how he's really not aged at all, though. He's still Ross. Of course, Matt has aged, as he was so miserably reminded of in this episode. And I like that Matt did go to that party, because it's really something he would do.

Loved the attention Morning got in this one, with her compilation of sex tapes and her indignation that Matt didn't remember sleeping with her. Mircea Monroe doesn't get a whole lot of credit, I find, but she's always right on the money with her scenes. The old jokes do not get old. Idi Amin's Christmas party? I bet that was an absolute riot.

I find Tim worse to deal with than Andrew Leslie, so I hope that Sean's amazing smackdown of him spells the end of his presence on the show. I'm having too much fun with this to want to deal with antagonistic jerks like him. Same goes for Merc, who I wish they'd just write out. I do think that this episode confirmed that Sean and Beverly are the real owners of the idea, though. Tim looked petrified by the prospect of writing the show on his own. He just wanted to hang onto their coattails and get whatever he could out of the deal, he never wanted the actual responsibility of writing and producing a show. I also appreciated that both Helen and Carol looked pleased by Sean's stance.

I'm really enjoying Carol/Helen. They're a lot of fun together, and actually very sweet. It is so nice to see Carol actually be desired and appreciated by the person she's sleeping with. I was worried that they were going to use Merc to ruin it, but looks like that was avoided. I particularly enjoyed how Helen knew when to stop digging, and just copped to having no explanation or defence for indirectly slamming Carol.

• Love 6

I'm really enjoying Carol/Helen. They're a lot of fun together, and actually very sweet. It is so nice to see Carol actually be desired and appreciated by the person she's sleeping with. I was worried that they were going to use Merc to ruin it, but looks like that was avoided. I particularly enjoyed how Helen knew when to stop digging, and just copped to having no explanation or defence for indirectly slamming Carol.

I loved Helen's "I got nothing" line.

• Love 2

God I love this show! I try to come up with something intelligent to say, but it's mostly--God I love this show!!

On Sean's smackdown (which I loved!), what I got was that he was saying either Tim gives in and takes a creator credit and a cut of money there but has no input in the show, or he and Bev give the whole thing to him to do alone. He can't force them to be in it, so they could 100% walk away and leave him holding the bag. And after his speech about how he's barely hanging on in the industry, I think he knows he can't write a hit show, and that without someone else's ideas and talent to hide behind, he can't make it. That's what Sean really challenged. If Tim thought he could do it, he could just let Sean and Bev leave, but since he knows he can't, he can take the credit and try to make something else of it, or he can be on his own. And I would be surprised if this isn't the end of Tim, or very nearly.

• Love 4

And Schwimmer got another free trip to the U.K. out of it all!  The memories.  "I, David, take thee, Butcher  -- I mean, General...General; I meant General -- for all the swag in Kazakhstan..."  

Or, "They said they'd make it two million, if I'd agreed to wear the monkey..." 

Schwimmer has been to the UK plenty since FRIENDS ended: he's done a West End show. My impression is that he's doing a lot of theater generally - which are his origins. He's actually a very good actor, as you'll see if you catch him in IT'S THE RAGE or some of the other things.

• Love 2

I'd be pretty pissed if someone said I had a swastika tattoo as well. That could get you in some serious hot water, especially as a studio head. 

Idi Amin's Christmas party?

That wasn't as good as "I was at the Three Mile Island telethon", "You at the Hindenburg too?". 

I liked how the actors just looked at it as a gig though. 

And after his speech about how he's barely hanging on in the industry, I think he knows he can't write a hit show, and that without someone else's ideas and talent to hide behind, he can't make it.

The ironic thing is that you don't really have to write that great of a show as it is. If he was even marginally talented, he should be able to find work. Tv is a writer's medium for the most part. 

I was actually surprised Sean threw down the gauntlet. I don't think he went into the meeting ready to do that, but Bev and Tim were going to be at each other's throats the whole time. Bev wouldn't have been able to hold back, and the show would have suffered as a result. It's too many cooks. 

However, in hindsight, like Sean said, it was a compromise. Sean wasn't arguing about intellectual property; he was agreeable to letting Tim have a shared creator credit. 

Matt taunting Bev with the gift bags was a great callback. 

• Love 2

I loved Helen's rant about how awful it would be to have people know she was with Merc. Then tried to say something to Carol, but just couldn't. "I got nothing". At least she's honest, Carol. She's a keeper. 

Sean's ultimatum was great and unexpected. But the best part was the reaction shots of Helen, Carol and Eileen watching them take shots at each other. All these actors are brilliant with their reactions. In the media thread an article was posted talking about a Face Emmy. If those were real the actors on this show would win all the awards!

I also loved the Morning age joke when Matt said he looked good when he was younger and Morning asked how she looked. Matt turned around, looked her up and down and told her she looked younger now. 

The Schwimmer cameo was amazing. The first thing he said sounded exactly like Ross. And he got paid a million to show up. Poor Matt. ETA; Schwimmer has aged well. 

Edited by Sakura12

The running gag about morning pushing 60 amuses me no end.

I'm just old enough to get the references to 70s TV etc but she would have to be at least 10 years older than me.

Bev and Tims needling was hysterical too.

I love this show.

I'd take free expensive stuff any day. The stuff the celebrities get in their gift bags is outrageous, so I completely understand Bev's obsession with getting them. The Oscar gift bag is worth about $60,000. That thing she went to with Matt last episode was like going to a mall and getting everything for free. 

We also have to remember they make under 1 million, in Hollywood Celebrity terms they are poor. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Must not be on BBC.

Why would it be?  It's on SHOWTIME.  :-)

...Beverly's continued obsession with free shit. She's said before that she doesn't really care about money,

We all have those nagging irrational desires that go against our professed values.  This is Bev's, and it's a hoot!

We also have to remember they make under 1 million, in Hollywood Celebrity terms they are poor.

How do we know this?  I didn't think their salary was ever discussed, but I'm sure head writers do well in Hollywood.  Not as well as star actors...but better than less than a million a year. 

Thought this was interesting about the gift bags for the Oscars last year

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oscars-gift-bag-has-80000-worth-of-swag/

Edited by cardigirl

We found out when Matt was upset about losing half his money. He was trying to find out how much Bev and Sean had, he kept guessing and was becoming more and more despondent, he stopped at 1 million and asked if they needed to borrow money from him. That's why he convinced Sean to sell "The Opposite of Us" to Eileen. 

• Love 2

This is hands down my favorite show on TV today (with Silicon Valley running a close second). I am guaranteed at least 2-3 laughs a week and Kathleen Rose Perkins is my new TV girlfriend ... until she started playing for the other team. I just wish it would get more acclaim!

I think the seeds were set for the demise of Helen and Carol.  Helen can't stand it if one person knows she slept with Merc - "What does that SAY about me as a person?" and Carol had to remind her "Hello.... 5 years...". Helen's response..."Oh, but that's you..."  There's a part of Helen that really despises Carol and views her as disposable.  And why shouldn't she? Carol sleeps her bosses. That's what she does. It's not necessarily out of a desire to climb the ladder, but I think rather an inability to say no (especially to her superiors).  Helen is using Carol and this won't end well. 

• Love 1

And the language too, with talk of bazooka dick and so on.  Must not be on BBC.

It's on BBC2. We're pretty relaxed about language, as long as it's after the watershed. No need for cable TV to allow naughty words, here.

I think the seeds were set for the demise of Helen and Carol.  Helen can't stand it if one person knows she slept with Merc - "What does that SAY about me as a person?" and Carol had to remind her "Hello.... 5 years...". Helen's response..."Oh, but that's you..."  There's a part of Helen that really despises Carol and views her as disposable.  And why shouldn't she? Carol sleeps her bosses. That's what she does. It's not necessarily out of a desire to climb the ladder, but I think rather an inability to say no (especially to her superiors).  Helen is using Carol and this won't end well.

While I have no doubt that Helen/Carol will fail, I really did not get the read you're getting from that scene. To me it looked like Helen getting lost in her own shit for a minute, and just venting about something humiliating she did, not realising that it would hurt the feelings of the other person. And then when she realised it did... she had nothing. Not sure I'd read any sinister motives into Helen's behaviour at all.

• Love 1

I really don't think Helen is using Carol in the way that Merc was obviously using her, or her first boss (Helen's husband) appears to have been using her. They really were just using her for convenient office sex, and to pump their egos. I do think Helen really likes Carol, but that doesn't make the relationship a healthy one. Of course, we don't always want 100% healthy relationships on TV. I think they are both filling needs for the other one; Carol is filling her need to please authority figures and Helen is getting someone to "mentor" and to feel loved by (I don't think her last relationship ended well, though that's really more a feeling I have from her expression when she mentioned it than anything specific. But every relationship should have something in it for both people--I think the real question is can they offer each other something positive. And it's too early in their honeymoon phase to answer that. Although Helen is moving hella fast. Which some of my friends would say proves she's a real lesbian.

• Love 1

I see Helen as having seduced Carol in a very predatory way.  Carol had never even given any indication that she was interested in women. Helen did it to see if she could. And because she's the boss, and Carol is Carol, she could. 

• Love 1

I don't think that spelled the doom of Helen/Carol. Everyone on this show is self-absorbed, Helen had her moment where she forgot about Carol's relationship with Merc and just started venting. I just love that she tried to say something to make up for it, but just couldn't because Merc is just a disgusting man and even Carol wouldn't change her mind about it. 

I love the term that the AfterEllen came up with for Carol. Boss-sexual. lol 

• Love 1

This was so great, and shows that Schwimmer has more of a sense of humor about himself than I previously would have thought.

He had a reoccurring role on Curb Your Enthusiasm as himself that was similar to Matt's role here. David Schwimmer certainly showed there as well that was up for poking fun at himself, where he played a snarky, nasty version of himself - and he sang! Both he and Matt have aged well, despite Matt's lamenting about his appearance in the VCR sex tape. But not nearly as well as Morning, who, as Matt noted, seems to be aging backwards.

Aren't there rules forbidding agents from taking on new clients with interests directly adverse to their existing clients? "Oh no" indeed.

Poor Matt. ETA; Schwimmer has aged well. 

I've never seen Friends, but I immediately thought that they all would presumably have peers, and how much older Matt looked than David Schwimmer.

Carol had never even given any indication that she was interested in women. Helen did it to see if she could. And because she's the boss, and Carol is Carol, she could. 

I like the relationship, but I don't like the fact that Carol seems to have a need to sleep with her boss, be it male or female.  It's almost cost her career before, and it may yet bite her.  I am interested to see how Helen crafts her revenge against Merc, who is always the man you love to hate.

Matt looks older because he's grey haired but he was prematurely grey even during his friends days. His hair was colored.

I LOVE the joke about Schwimmer making a million for the party vs LeBlanc making 500K. That was incredible.

• Love 2