Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Knockoffs

Alana's parents were perfectly cast! They nailed (heh) the end tag. Loved it! This was my favorite episode of the season so far possibly ever. Hilarious! Even the fight was funny with Abbi getting the dildo stuck in the door. Abbi standing in her underwear with the dildo strapped on was... an interesting look!

• Love 1

I feel like I learn something from every episode. For example, now I know the importance of artisan ass dildos. Last week it was smore weed shake awesome-ness.

Not only do I covet Ilana's gorgeous curly hair, I want ALL her dance moves. That girl is flexible beyond words.

Ilana and her mom's trip to Chinatown made me nostalgic for the days when you could just go to the Lower East Side or even a random sidewalk and openly buy any kind of fake you wanted. I still have a Louis Vuitton clutch and a Dooney & Burke briefcase bought on Delancy street - no blindfold or trip down the sewer required.

• Love 1

Ha and why am I not surprised that Ilana's initial reaction to Abbi's phone call was to be so excited that she put down the phone and started dancing?

That was some pretty awesome upside-down twerking going on right there.  And her mom was so nonchalant - "Ilana, control yourself!"

Ilana's on her way to becoming one of my favorite TV characters of all time.  She might already be the #1 female...

• Love 1

This is the best episode of television ever. 

As soon as he said, "let's switch it up", I said, 'oh hell no, he's going to say strap on.' I was *dying* that it actually happened. I couldn't believe the network actually let Abbi walk around with a strap on. 

I totally bought that Ilana would be through the roof about it. 

I was critical of the other episode where the girls weren't together in most of the scenes. But this one worked because the parents were *fantastic*. 

Honestly, I think they handled the whole pegging topic perfectly. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else think of My Little Pony/ Bronies when Aliana kept saying "Pegasisters"? Just me? Weirdly I had just seen a Storage Wars (ugh) where one of the "experts" said that female bronies (or fans of My Little Pony) were called "Pegasisters".

So was that a cameo by Lena Dunham in the sex toy shop, complaining about the nipple rings?

It was Nicole, Ilana's coworker.  We've seen her a few times before.

Great episode, although last week is still the season's best for me.  Although I'm sad that Jeremy/Abbi is off the table for now, they both had valid reasons to be angry, so it makes sense that they take a break, brief as their relationship was.  Loved Ilana and her crazy family.  

This was the funniest episode of the show to date. If it weren't only the 4th episode of season 2, I'd prepare that Canon submission immediately.

Right away it had me, from the seriousness of staph infections. I love how the show can make funny out of anything, and it's on full display in this episode. Ilana and her mom go on a journey for cheap bags, which quickly spirals toward insanity. I think what was particularly great wasn't just that these women were getting loaded into vans or climbing down manholes, but that they come prepared with their own blindfolds for the van ride and know that only the best product is kept underground. Where others would be scared by this situation, to them it's old hat.

I think Abbi's situation, while hilarious, was also honest and handled skillfully. As we've seen with Ilana over the series, the show is very sex positive, so even when it uses pegging for a laugh, we don't keep the focus on laughing at Jeremy for enjoying it. He's not the butt of the joke. (sorry) Things really come to a head (I can't stop) when Abbi tries to get away with using the replacement dildo, as it turns into a fight about Abbi's judgmental lack of judgment and Jeremy's mountain of high maintenance bullshit. It was refreshing to see a guy acting like a child and being criticized for it, it should happen more on TV. If he wants to explore in the bedroom, that should start with a conversation, not a baton pass.

Such a great episode. Just...wow.

• Love 6

Maybe (probably) this is just me, but does this show remind anybody else of a really twisted version of Kate & Allie? Every time Ilana and Abby are walking down the street shooting the breeze, it's all I can think about. Nobody else?

• Love 2

I feel like I've been to that exact small street/alley in NYC's Chinatown. Is there a Joe's Shanghai branch there?

Amazing episode, perfect perfect casting on Ilana's entire family.  That said, her brother didn't look that much like her even if that is her brother in real life. Go figure.

The Abbi/Jeremy thing was surprising on every level.  Even the way they broke it off/broke up was surprisingly mature -- like the AV Club review said, even as hipster fussy as Jeremy is about everything, he still had a fair point that the knockoff* dildo wasn't a fair replacement for his custom one.

* And by the way!!!  Even knowing the title of the episode was "Knockoffs", I was never expecting that the title tied in to Abbi's plot as much as it did to Ilana's.

It was Nicole, Ilana's coworker.  We've seen her a few times before.

Yeah.  But it makes a lot of sense that Abbi and Nicole have never met.

• Love 1

This episode was amazing. Abbi coming out of the bathroom with the strap on on and saying, "Bend over" was so amazing, I had to rewind it and make my Husband watch. And then Ilana screaming that it was the "BEST DAY OF MY LIIIIIIFFFEEE" at her Grandmother's Shiva. Too amazing for words. Oh and how much of a baby is Jeremy, fuck that dude. Only complaint about this episode, no Lincoln. You all know Lincoln would come to Ilana's grandma's Shiva. He's that type of friend, plus he's totally in love with Ilana. He would have probably even made a dish to share with the family.

• Love 4
(edited)

I kind of wish he had been with Ilana when Abbi called her from Jeremy's bathroom. Can't you just imagine Lincoln giving Abbi some advice about the situation? To peg or not to peg, that is the question.

Actually, imagine him going to Chinatown to buy fake purses with Ilana and her mom too! Of course, I'm biased because I'm convinced that Lincoln would be awesome in any situation.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

This show is like my favorite thing ever, and last week's episode was a high point for me.  This ep just didn't do it for me.  Way too much focus on Ilana's family... I don't know, I prefer the show when it's a little fantastical and just outside of the realm of reality, and focusing so much on Ilana's family pushed it too much into sitcom territory for me.  Obviously I'm alone since the other posters loved it.  

Funny enough, I watched the first season of Broad City as it aired, but it wasn't until I rewatched it all On Demand last weekend while battling the flu that a lot of the genius moments hit me.  Now I can't stop annoying everybody I know with "YOU HAVE TO WATCH BROAD CITTTYYYY!!!"

• Love 1

I loved the callback to the first episode in the opening when Abbi is talking about finding a hair from her head in her ass crack . 

Ilana's real-life brother played her brother in this episode, and i was dying when he started singing  "On Eagle's Wings" .

Just a funny, funny episode.  I find I have to re-watch because I miss a lot the first time.

• Love 1
the AV Club review said, even as hipster fussy as Jeremy is about everything, he still had a fair point that the knockoff* dildo wasn't a fair replacement for his custom one.

I mean, he probably paid a few hundred bucks for it. So I think he's got a right to complain.

I don't have any problem with pegging, but I don't think I'm just busting out the strap on like that and bending over. I've discovered a huge secret over my life: If you ask a little bit ahead of time, your partner is surprisingly game.

It was a hilarious scene because I think Abbi would have run in the bathroom to ask Ilana either way. 

As much as I like Lincoln, I think he would have gotten in the way. Ilana's scenes were more about her family. I wouldn't even be surprised if she didn't even tell Lincoln about the shiva. 

• Love 1

As much as I like Lincoln, I think he would have gotten in the way. Ilana's scenes were more about her family. I wouldn't even be surprised if she didn't even tell Lincoln about the shiva.

According to a poster on the A.V. Club, on the iTunes version there is an extra scene where Ilana says she didn't want to have to explain her relationship with Lincoln to her relatives, but he sent an Edible Arrangement. 

• Love 3

According to a poster on the A.V. Club, on the iTunes version there is an extra scene where Ilana says she didn't want to have to explain her relationship with Lincoln to her relatives, but he sent an Edible Arrangement. 

Edible Arrangement is such a Lincoln move. I want to marry him.

I kind of wish he had been with Ilana when Abbi called her from Jeremy's bathroom. Can't you just imagine Lincoln giving Abbi some advice about the situation? To peg or not to peg, that is the question.

Actually, imagine him going to Chinatown to buy fake purses with Ilana and her mom too! Of course, I'm biased because I'm convinced that Lincoln would be awesome in any situation.

I am so with you. Lincoln forever.

I mean, he probably paid a few hundred bucks for it. So I think he's got a right to complain.

It's one thing to be bummed out. But he was a real asshole about it.

Seriously, though: he could have told her what the difference was without being so insulting to her.

• Love 1

I loved the use of "On Eagle's Wings" at the shiva! I went to Catholic school for all of K-8 and they would sing that song at least once a month at mass. Hysterical choice to hear in the background when discussing pegging. 

• Love 2

Maybe (probably) this is just me, but does this show remind anybody else of a really twisted version of Kate & Allie? Every time Ilana and Abby are walking down the street shooting the breeze, it's all I can think about. Nobody else?

Did anyone else notice that that the guy in the wheelchair who Ilana was trying to pass parked and got up and walked away?  I love  these kind of random funnies about this show...

• Love 2

Huh. I just watched the episode on TV in Australia, and that scene was in it. Why would it be cut for American TV?

If this show doesn't win all the awards next year, I will be very annoyed. It is BRILLIANT.

Edited by purist

This was the first episode of the show I've seen, and if it's always this funny, it won't be the last.

It IS always that funny. In different ways. Watch it from the beginning. Keep an ear out for my favorite Broad City quote ever: "The vahaainya is nature's pocket." Although this episode's, "You're finally going to vagina swallow Jeremy" was another one I loved. Generally, Ilana is on point with the vagina quotes.

I totally bought that Ilana would be through the roof about it. 

I think Ilana is always super excited for Abbi's sexcapades for a couple reasons: one, she's generally happy that her friend is having sexy fun.  But two, I think she thinks that the more sexually adventurous Abbi gets, the more likely Abbi will finally have sex with HER. It is one of her more overt wishes.

• Love 2