Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk

Lisin

Here's your place for small talk and introductions!

If you (collectively) would like to change the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Well, this may or may not be the right place to say this, but Tara, that article/conversation you had with Dave about why Face/Off and the Jim Henson design show are so much fun was so funny and fun to read. That bit at the end about Glenn's um, love, let's say, for robots was brill. I wish that the comment system for the articles was the same as the comment system for the forums -- I have problems with Disqus for some reason. Anyway, just wanted to say that somewhere -- hope this reaches you. :) And if anyone out there hasn't read the article, go look through the Jim Henson Design Challenge Recaps and find it -- it's a hoot.

Stuntwoman sues over burns during shoot

Tamiko Brownlee claims she was “severely burned over multiple parts of her body” when “a propane ‘popper’ and/or ‘woofer’” exploded on the set and she was “surrounded and consumed by a fireball.” Defendants include Syfy Media Productions, Mission Control Media, T-Minus Productions and HollywoodStuntCoordinator.com. The suit says Brownlee “in her participation of said production of Face Off did not know, was not advised, did not consent, assume and/or agree to participate in any way, manner and/or capacity in said television production with any defendant named herein where here person and/or body would be and/or run the risk of being burned.”

I googled her and she is familiar but I don't remember the incident. Anyone know which makeup this might have happened under? 

As I recall, quite a few Face Off fans were looking for more skin painting. Apparently, someone was listening. Skin Wars debuts on GSN on Wednesday, August 6th at 9 (EDT). The promos look very interesting.

As I recall, quite a few Face Off fans were looking for more skin painting. Apparently, someone was listening. Skin Wars debuts on GSN on Wednesday, August 6th at 9 (EDT). The promos look very interesting.

Yes! And we have a forum for it. I have my fingers crossed on this one. The promos really do look promising.

*Runs to set the DVR!*

I'm new to this show (thanks EHG and Olivia!).  I know NOTHING about makeup and the work that they are doing on the show but I'm finding it totally fascinating.  Since I'm a complete newbie, I'm wondering if theres a place to read/learn more about the process that they use on the show.  I think I have the basics-they sculpt something, mold it and that becomes the prosthetic??  Is that right?  Anyway, thanks in advance!

• Love 1

I'm new to this show (thanks EHG and Olivia!).  I know NOTHING about makeup and the work that they are doing on the show but I'm finding it totally fascinating.  Since I'm a complete newbie, I'm wondering if theres a place to read/learn more about the process that they use on the show.  I think I have the basics-they sculpt something, mold it and that becomes the prosthetic??  Is that right?  Anyway, thanks in advance!

Hullo! Let me try and clear it up for you a little. On the show we take a stone positive of our actor's face (this is literally our actors face made in stone) and we sculpt on it. Then we mold the sculpt and clean out the clay from both sides of the mold. Once we finish cleaning we then run foam/silicone/gelatin in the molds. The space where the clay was becomes the prosthetic. Does that help? If you have more in depth questions, go check out The Effects Lab forums, a lot of people in the SFX industry use it, and are totally willing to answer questions.  http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/index.php  :) Hope that helps. 

• Love 4

I'm sure everyone noticed that Season 8 is going to have past winners become mentors.  I hope this doesn't mean Mr. Westmore is retiring.  Have to believe having Laura Tyler, Anthony Kosar or Rayce Bird mentoring would be very helpful, especially to those who haven't had as much training as others.  Of course that depends on how open they are to advice.  Consider the results Dina has been able to achieve, working with Anthony certainly hasn't hurt her.

• Love 1

A Teams season. Ugh, I didn't like it when they did it for Food Network Star, and I'm sure I'll like it less now. 

Overall it feels like producers stepping in and trying to set it up for more DRAH-MA!, which defeats the appeal of the show. We'll see how it rolls out, but I'm not looking forward to it. 

I'm just more upset about it starting in January. Slow down, guys! How can we miss you if you don't go away?! One thing I will say for this show is that no matter what producers do to try and creat Drah-ma!, the cast and the judges shut it down pretty quickly. Clowns like Joe and Autumn get sent packing, and whatever drama we get is from the likes of Sasha or Miranda, or self-inflicted situations. But we get Ve back, so that's good. If no more Mr. Westmore, that's not good. I'd like for Lois to stay on the panel with Ve, but that's probably not feasible.

• Love 1

I'm sure everyone noticed that Season 8 is going to have past winners become mentors.  I hope this doesn't mean Mr. Westmore is retiring.  Have to believe having Laura Tyler, Anthony Kosar or Rayce Bird mentoring would be very helpful, especially to those who haven't had as much training as others.  Of course that depends on how open they are to advice.  Consider the results Dina has been able to achieve, working with Anthony certainly hasn't hurt her.

More likely Mr. Westmore got a job somewhere.  Are there any shows or movies coming out that require heavy alien makeups or something?

I just want Ve back.

I don't mind if they keep Lois, because she's been great, but there have been times I've missed Ve's rather racy sense of humor a lot this season.

The horribly ironic thing is that this is a season that's allowed beauty makeups to succeed, if not outright focused on them, and Ve, who's known for her beauty makeup, is nowhere to be seen.

I think I mentioned it in that episode's thread, but I also really missed her for the high school/mythical creature challenge. That seems like the type of thing that she loves judging.

• Love 3

Said it before and I'll say it again, I miss the spotlight challenges, dammit! Where are the realistic makeup challenges? Where are the beauty makeups? Where are the things THAT WILL ACTUALLY APPEAR IN MOVIES?

• Love 3

A friend's son's h.s. best friend went to school in London for this, and I keep watching for her. I know from what the kids did in h.s. that she has some innate skills. But maybe she was hired somewhere and doesn't have time for a competition. Or maybe she did something else. I'm now inspired to ask, since I know the kids have kept in touch.

@David T. Cole, you know what would be awesome? If you could post a link to the little song that Tara's littlest niece wrote about Face Off. Every time my husband and I see that there's a new episode of FO on the DVR we try to sing it, but we can't remember it very well.  (Basically all we can come up with at this point is "Soon there will be / No more competitors.")  Anyway, it'd make my LIFE if you could share it.  Pleeeeeease.  :-D

Makeup Man, by Michael Westmore with Jake Page 
Foreword by Patrick Stewart

For a close up of the cover, this will do.

And a quote from Publishers Weekly

'Readers will want to take a giant step back in time with Academy Award–winner Westmore’s amiable and intimate look at his family, a Hollywood makeup dynasty for four generations, and the stars they’ve been making look good since 1917. His own career began in 1961 with a Universal Studios apprenticeship, all the time being “watched like a hawk” by family elders. Readers of a certain age will lap up stories about Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee’s budding romance, Desi Arnaz’s (emergency) horsehair mustache, and Ernest Borgnine’s doomed marriage to Ethel Merman. As the book progresses, younger readers will recognize more names and productions, including Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and Sylvester Stallone (whose fight scene injuries Westmore created) in Rocky. Westmore dishes occasionally but usually has a nice word to say about his clients. He even shares Elizabeth Taylor’s chili recipe. Later sections concentrate on Westmore’s decades-long association with the Star Trekseries. Tighter editing might have eliminated the book’s “Snippets,” a miscellaneous closing collection of reminiscences, but most of them are just as entertaining as the book proper.' (Publishers Weekly)

• Love 5

I know absolutely nothing about this industry or how they do what they do but I absolutely LOVE Face Off!  I just love seeing what they come up with.  But they do seem to have a problem with the word whimsical.  

Adult book report:

I read most of the book.  It's a lot like other Hollywood autobiographies and biographies in that the story is a whole lot of name dropping.  Unlike other autobiographies, Mr. Westmore has a lot to say beyond the name dropping.  He talks about how decisions are made, how colors are chosen, the charm of some stars. and lack of charm of others (some not named.)

The sections I enjoyed the most are tied to his creativity and to Star Trek.   Anyone entering the business should read this book with a highlighter in hand, just to get ideas for creativity.  This man read books, he went to the zoo, he kept growing as an artist.

Then he went from makeup for individual stars and work on a single movie to doing Star Trek.

I have loved the TV Star Treks since the first ones in Black and White.  I read the chapters on his Star Trek adventures and enjoyed them so much.  There are a couple of anecdotes that you'll find if you are a fan, and that will leave you smiling for a long, long time. 

I've read some of the Star Trek chapters twice.  That much fun.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just read Mr Westmore’s book and I highly recommend it.  Lots of great insights into creating makeups and the name dropping wasn’t gratuitous.   These were people he worked with and had to mention as a part of talking about the job.

Also loved his love for his wife.   He’d worked around her for months and when he finally worked up the nerve to speak to her, he said something like “would you like to get married”.   She agreed to dinner to start, lol.

I really liked his story about some work he did for David Bowie and one time had his wife help/finish and after that, until the project was done, David would call periodically and ask “can Marion come over?”

He was nominated for 4 or 5 Oscars and won one.  He was nominated for 41 Emmys and won 9.

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3

I've only got through the first chapter so far and just the history of the Westmores was fascinating.  I also get the impression that most of the make up techniques we see was probably invented by a Westmore at some point.

• Love 2