Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Nellis

radishcake
  • Start Topic

Okay, who else noticed the Bluth stair car?! And that woman harassing Archer at the beginning was totally supposed to be that crack whore from Frisky Dingo.

So the plane ride was great.

Holy crap, Greys exist in this series! I was half-expecting Killface to make a cameo here.

"I want to ask them so many questions!"

"How to build a better anal probe?"

"I know, I bet their technology is light years ahead of mine!"

I wish we really did see the gang's adventure in Branson, but I'll take Krieger and Pam becoming blubbering wrecks over the Greys telling them the meaning of the universe.

• Love 1

This was a good episode. Not an epic episode, like the one where they all got stuck in an elevator, but still a good episode. Also, crap, the Greys do exist  in this universe, and they can communicate through telepathy. Plus Mallory bribed Lana to give AJ (which was named after her grandmother) her middle name. 

Doesn't Archer have "Malory" as a middle name? I think he does, but I could be wrong.

And that woman harassing Archer at the beginning was totally supposed to be that crack whore from Frisky Dingo.

Good catch. I knew she looked familiar. And yes, I'd be open to seeing Killface and/or Xander Crews down the line. I'm not expecting it, but it would be nice.

Good episode. Not the best, and I didn't really laugh out loud, but I am kinda/sorta sick, so I might not have been in the mood to chuckle.

• Love 1

I noticed the staircar.

Yes, Malory is Archer's middle name.

Didn't love this episode. It felt like too many disparate stories which made it overstuffed and yet curiously lacking. Pam and Krieger off on their own with the greys. Archer rescue rampaging. Ray, Cyril, and Cheryl hanging out and doing nothing. And Malory and Lana. Some of the scenes felt tacked on because the episode ran a little short or because someone in the writer's room asked "while the rest of this is happening, what is going on with...?"

I liked the episode a lot (love Competent!Archer, always), and I wonder if the Krieger Clone Saga is now resolved? The aliens called him by his first name, which I hope wasn't the same for the other clones.

This show needs to directly address Jessica Walters' vocal issues. She's clearly having a bad time of it, and I'd rather there be a silly explanation (she's been yelling non-stop at Ron, she tried some kind of snake-liquor that burned her vocal chords, whatever) than less Malory, which is what the show is doing.

I don't know: I would have figured the gang going to Area 51 would have been a big deal, but it kind of felt run-of-the-mill.  Even finding an excuse for Krieger, Pam, and Cheryl to be in their underwear for the majority of it, felt half-baked.  I guess I was just expecting more. There was a few laughs and I did like seeing Archer actually hold it together pretty well, but it was probably one of the weaker episodes this season for me.

I agree that there must be something going on with Jessica Walters, because there really hasn't been much Malory lately.

• Love 1

That woman wasn't a woman.

I laughed because I thought it was a shout out to the season premiere and Lana's line about Archer being up to his eyeballs in cobra whiskey and ladyboy hookers. Archer panics about being a good dad and immediately runs away and gets drunk with them.

Loved the all-knowing aliens with Pam and Krieger, and Archer masquerading as Slater.

One thing I love about Ray's character is how they frequently tie his personal interests in to the mission: "I'm only helping y'all out because: multi-engine license, ski medalist", etc. He's living his own life, despite the nut bags around him.

• Love 2

The total lack of vinegar in Malory's voice this season I suppose could be attributable to the fact that she has to answer to the CIA now, but that would be the sort of thing they'd have to state in the show, otherwise it does sound like something's off with Jessica Walter.

"Meh" on this episode.  Some funny bits with Ray's pig, the meth addict, the "extra $5K for a white church", but this really felt like pointless filler.  And oh, lookie - another episode where Lana's sole defining characteristic is "mother", although I suppose that's better than Cyril's, which so far this season has pretty much been "what are you doing here, anyway?"

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 1

I think the best part was Pam and Krieger. Has the show done that pairing before because it was full of win.

I love the idea of Malory trying (and partially Succeeding) to buy the rights to naming Lana's kid. That is classic her.

The episode wasn't bad just a little to chaotic.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

My biggest problem with this episode is that once they mentioned Branson I really wanted them to go to Branson. And for us to see it.

The bit about ray's teacup pig and it going to live on a farm with Pam's aside about not keeping them for milk cracked me up.

I agree Lana and Mallory seemed really tacked on.

• Love 2

Whatever's going on with Mallory's voice has to deliberate. There's no way a show with this level of detail and an actress like Jessica Walters are going to give us that kind of noticeable change for no reason. I shudder to think what the reason will finally be when we learn it. It's got to be something like Mallory's a clone or her office is bugged or maybe the stunt with the fake new office finally broke something in her.

Does anyone else think the cast been been in there underwear a lot more more this season than others seasons?

Definitely. The sad thing is I found myself thinking, "I guess this is their way of saving on the wardrobe budget." The sheer Cherylness of that reasoning made me hate myself.

Question: what is that thing on the floor next to the guy Pam nearly killed? It looks like a joint.

34pf2us.png

• Love 2

Whatever's going on with Mallory's voice has to deliberate. There's no way a show with this level of detail and an actress like Jessica Walters are going to give us that kind of noticeable change for no reason.

I'm fairly certain that the problem is with Jessica Walter -- it sounds like she's been the victim of laryngitis at the very least. She can't control that no matter how good an actress she is. But the character of Malory is a different story...

This episode, and really this season, was solid, but nothing great.

I agree. I enjoy the show. I was one of the few that didn't think last season was so bad, so I'm not seeing that much of a difference here. I liked the serialization of the last season and I like the missions. I do hope some of last season will affect what's going on now. 

Whatever's going on with Mallory's voice has to deliberate. There's no way a show with this level of detail and an actress like Jessica Walters are going to give us that kind of noticeable change for no reason. I shudder to think what the reason will finally be when we learn it. It's got to be something like Mallory's a clone or her office is bugged or maybe the stunt with the fake new office finally broke something in her.

Definitely. The sad thing is I found myself thinking, "I guess this is their way of saving on the wardrobe budget." The sheer Cherylness of that reasoning made me hate myself.

Question: what is that thing on the floor next to the guy Pam nearly killed? It looks like a joint.

34pf2us.png

Yeah, it does look like it, maybe Pam dropped it while kicking his ass. 

As with the issue with Mallory's voice being soft/week, I am not hearing it. Maybe Jessica Walter is just softening Mallory's voice because she is a grandmother now (the character not Walter in real life). 

I think I only laughed out loud a couple of times. First was when Archer was accosted by the guards and told to "drop it", upon which he dropped... his cocktail shaker. Then a couple of minutes later where he kicked all the air force guys' arses and said, "it's a good thing you guys have airplanes".

Oh, and the reveal that Cheryl remembers nothing about being Cherleen, and her reaction when Archer tried to remind her of it.

The Krieger/Pam/aliens bit was a complete waste of time, and felt wrong for this show. Cheryl, Cyril and Ray were just kind of there, not doing anything. Mallory and Lana weren't even there, but were in some afterthought subplot about the baby's name.

There does seem to be a lot less plot in this season's episodes. Is it because they feel obliged to give all the characters something to do? Not sure, but often I feel like it's just getting started, only to realise the episode is half over.

Since I can't speak Spanish, I thought I'd try German. It's going about as well as my Spanish did. I did pick up that Archer wanted something about pants and lunch from the Officer's club.

My mother still understands Yiddish (her grandparents spoke it), but she says whatever Archer was saying sounded more like it was meant to sound like Yiddish rather than actually being Yiddish. I suspect it was the real thing but his accent is beyond terrible.

I ran the closed-captions through Google so I could figure out what he was saying.  Google Translate didn't seem to like it, but a regular search of the text got me to translations of what must be relatively common phrases.  So yeah, the accent may have been hideous, but I think they were at least trying to make it real.

Of course, why Archer would know Yiddish, ver vaist?

I think archers terrible accents for all the languages he speaks is part of the joke. I love archers random knowledge on all sorts of topics and although it's not actually random, how many languages does archer speak? Spanish I think. Can't remember what else.

I liked this episode but I'm pretty sure they would be caught in a hot minute. They left a plane labeled 'sky tunt' at the scene.

I think archers terrible accents for all the languages he speaks is part of the joke. I love archers random knowledge on all sorts of topics and although it's not actually random, how many languages does archer speak? Spanish I think. Can't remember what else.

I liked this episode but I'm pretty sure they would be caught in a hot minute. They left a plane labeled 'sky tunt' at the scene.

Didn't he speak Italian (or tried to speak in Italian) in the Papal Chase, where he and Pam pretended to be a father and nun while protecting the Pope?

I liked this episode even though it was a little busy.  Seems like Cheryl/Carol could've pulled some strings to get Archer off the no-train list.  Mallory negotiating for naming rights was really funny.

Archer also speaks Portuguese.  His knowledge is so random. 

I liked this episode even though it was a little busy.  Seems like Cheryl/Carol could've pulled some strings to get Archer off the no-train list.  Mallory negotiating for naming rights was really funny.

Archer also speaks Portuguese.  His knowledge is so random. 

I don't know if Cheryl/Carol could do that. I would assume that Slater could do it, in a heart beat as a quid pro quo (and maybe that is why Archer never went to Slater), but not Cheryl/Carol. Cheryl/Carol is probably the most wealthy person on the planet, within the Archer-verse, but I don't think she could actually get someone off a No-Fly/No-Train list by just pulling strings. If she tried to "donate" money it would probably come back looking like  bribing a government official/office/department (which it would be, btw) and would also kind of tarnish her family's reputation (although, last season she mentioned that her great uncle or her great-great uncle was a KKK member, even though she might not have figure it out, right away), in the long run (which she does think about, from time to time). 

As with why Archer's knowledge is so random, well I guess that is just the way his character is (which is also part of a long running joke with him). 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

I just figured since she owns like half the railroads she might have some sway.  But, then again, she wasn't even aware of the no-train list!  Still haven't figured out why she works at Isis (or whatever that company is going by these days).

Can't wait for the episode next week!

Didn't he speak Italian (or tried to speak in Italian) in the Papal Chase, where he and Pam pretended to be a father and nun while protecting the Pope?

He thought he knew Italian, but it turned out it was Latin that he knew.  On the plane ride over, Pam learned Italian, and he (poorly) learned Romansh.  

I can't remember why I think this, but I'm pretty sure he knows Russian and French too.