Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A Sociology professor told us that history couldn't be accurately taught until it was at least 20 years after the events. This could explain why young adults who are now out of school wouldn't necessarily be familiar with events that occurred about 20 years ago.

I went to school in the '80s.  Usually, the furthest we ever got up to in history was Reconstruction.  Maybe I should clarify this was the 1980s.  Not the 1880s.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I went to school in the '80s.  Usually, the furthest we ever got up to in history was Reconstruction.  Maybe I should clarify this was the 1980s.  Not the 1880s.

Not even the Depression? WWI1? WW2? Wow. We got as far as MLK and the Civil Rights movement.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Not even the Depression? WWI1? WW2? Wow. We got as far as MLK and the Civil Rights movement.

For all I learned from school WW2 could have been the second half of WW1.  But, now that you mention it, the teacher did skip ahead to the '60s.  He was a former hippie. But, the only thing we learned about the Vietnam War were the protests.  

But, don't worry, since school I have found a love of reading about history.  I'm much more sketchy on WW1 than WW2, but I do know they were two separate wars.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Katy M said:

For all I learned from school WW2 could have been the second half of WW1.  But, now that you mention it, the teacher did skip ahead to the '60s.  He was a former hippie. But, the only thing we learned about the Vietnam War were the protests.  

But, don't worry, since school I have found a love of reading about history.  I'm much more sketchy on WW1 than WW2, but I do know they were two separate wars.

Oh, I wasn't worried. I know you're smarter than that! We didn't hear much about Viet Nam because the war was still going on until I graduated from high school.

• Love 2
(edited)

I want to say that I recall learning about the Civil War (overview) when in elementary school. I DO know that I learned about Slavery in high school--and they didn't brush over it. Hell, in junior year, my teacher got Roots for us to see. But alas, it was only one episode. But we covered that subject.

I know when I got to college, I chose a multitude of history classes, which were electives, as I majored in Broadcast Journalism, with a Minor in Criminal Justice.

To go back, we talked about Iran--what with the hostages during the time I was in elementary and how it was affecting us all. 

All I remember about Vietnam, was the commercial with a Father and his son, and they're at the Wall, and it ends with the son asking his dad: "What's Vietnam?"

But again, to stay on topic, I knew a lot of history as a kid--and pop culture. Hell, I knew who the BEATLES were as a kid in the 70s.

Like @peacheslatour said, there is no intellectual curiosity. At least today, all the information is at one's fingertips! I had to go to the library if I wanted to learn more information.

My latest peeve that has me wailing and gnashing my teeth: that the crazy loon whose home I used to live in probably STOLE my Duran Duran albums and my Air Supply Greatest Hits. 🤬🤬Woman had no sense of boundaries when I lived there, and would "borrow" my dvds without asking to watch upstairs. When I left, it wasn't pretty. Back in 2013.

I was watching Cold Case and one of Air Supply's songs was playing, so I thought I'd pull out the LP to see which one it was, because iTunes didn't have that cover, and I discovered, while one Duran Duran album was there, along with my Bollywood ones and religious music ones, All the other Duran Duran albums are GONE!😭😭😭

I checked Amazon for the prices of the missing albums, and whoo boy!

Oh! And my Wham albums are gone!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
(edited)
21 hours ago, Calvada said:

When Paul Newman died, a young co-worker of mine (about 28 at the time) said, "Oh, the salad dressing guy died?"  Not one of only four actors to be nominated for an Academy Award in five different decades, which speaks to his longevity and the quality of his work, but the salad dressing guy!  She had no clue about his work as an actor.  I felt sooooo old.  

Another peeve about circumstances making me feel old:  recently my small Corningware casserole dish slipped out of my hand when I was taking it out of the cupboard and smashed into many, many pieces.  I tried to order a replacement only to discover that my pattern is now considered vintage.  Damn, I really am getting old.  

Try E-Bay.  My favorite Christmas Cookie Platter fell into a hundred pieces a few years ago.  I bought it in Cracker Barrel.  I tried the manufacturer, Cracker Barrel .. every place to no avail.  Then looked on E Bay.  It was there and I was thrilled. I originally paid $30, and it was $8 on e bay.  The seller was great and I got it in 3 days packed beautifully and was so happy.  Put it in search.  If I can find the name of the seller, I will let you know.

Edited by Hangin Out
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

image.thumb.jpeg.777e2de35094e3655a4f1cff95014511.jpeg

There was one time when I actually meant to say “ducking” and it changed it to the word I usually want. 

Edited by Anela
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2021 at 10:01 PM, Calvada said:

Another peeve about circumstances making me feel old:  recently my small Corningware casserole dish slipped out of my hand when I was taking it out of the cupboard and smashed into many, many pieces.  I tried to order a replacement only to discover that my pattern is now considered vintage.  Damn, I really am getting old.  

3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Try E-Bay.  My favorite Christmas Cookie Platter fell into a hundred pieces a few years ago.  I bought it in Cracker Barrel.  I tried the manufacturer, Cracker Barrel .. every place to no avail.  Then looked on E Bay.  It was there and I was thrilled. I originally paid $30, and it was $8 on e bay.  The seller was great and I got it in 3 days packed beautifully and was so happy.  Put it in search.  If I can find the name of the seller, I will let you know.

I was getting ready to say, was it the blue pattern or the multi-color pattern? Maybe I can set you up.  Then I remembered that I got a newer set (the "lightweight" stuff) a decade or so ago, and I've been served from my old stuff when I've visited my son & his family lately.  Except for the blue pattern 9x13.  I'm not parting with that one.  I may only use it every couple of months but I'm handling with care.

• Love 3

More first world problems. This is a multilayer peeve. Read it if you dare. 

I have two American Express accounts. I accidentally sent two payments this month to the same account. When I discovered this last week I contacted them by chat on their web site and was assured that the extra payment would be moved to the correct card.  Well, no surprise, this didn’t happen and my card was declined yesterday. Peeve one.

I had to waste another hour calling up to have it corrected again, including one instance of being on hold and being disconnected and having to reinitiate the call. Peeve two.

Then they said my card would still be shut down for two more days. Peeve three. This card is connected to my on line payments such as Amazon. Unacceptable. After trying to get a supervisor to fix it, the best they could do was to give me $500 open line of credit for the two days. How is it that they have had my money for three weeks but they can’t credit it to another account instantaneously?  Also I hate how they are trained to recite platitudes to explain their inexplicable “system” so you will go away. Finally I hate that I am so frustrated by this that I have to start acting like a Karen to get something to happen but how else do you get past the gatekeeper?  I know I made the original error, but come on. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

More first world problems. This is a multilayer peeve. Read it if you dare. 

I have two American Express accounts. I accidentally sent two payments this month to the same account. When I discovered this last week I contacted them by chat on their web site and was assured that the extra payment would be moved to the correct card.  Well, no surprise, this didn’t happen and my card was declined yesterday. Peeve one.

I had to waste another hour calling up to have it corrected again, including one instance of being on hold and being disconnected and having to reinitiate the call. Peeve two.

Then they said my card would still be shut down for two more days. Peeve three. This card is connected to my on line payments such as Amazon. Unacceptable. After trying to get a supervisor to fix it, the best they could do was to give me $500 open line of credit for the two days. How is it that they have had my money for three weeks but they can’t credit it to another account instantaneously?  Also I hate how they are trained to recite platitudes to explain their inexplicable “system” so you will go away. Finally I hate that I am so frustrated by this that I have to start acting like a Karen to get something to happen but how else do you get past the gatekeeper?  I know I made the original error, but come on. 

I had to deal with this sort of thing recently and know how exasperating it is. In my case it didn't get resolved until after I started pointing out specifically and repeatedly where they were at fault (even though my understandable mistake had triggered the whole mess).
Let us know how it goes!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was getting ready to say, was it the blue pattern or the multi-color pattern? Maybe I can set you up.  Then I remembered that I got a newer set (the "lightweight" stuff) a decade or so ago, and I've been served from my old stuff when I've visited my son & his family lately.  Except for the blue pattern 9x13.  I'm not parting with that one.  I may only use it every couple of months but I'm handling with care.

My mom "permanently loaned" me a bunch of her Corningware. She has so much you would never notice anything was missing from her stash. It was a sad sad day in the TRH household when a shallow square dish, perfect for asparagus, slipped out of the cupboard and broke. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My mom "permanently loaned" me a bunch of her Corningware. She has so much you would never notice anything was missing from her stash. It was a sad sad day in the TRH household when a shallow square dish, perfect for asparagus, slipped out of the cupboard and broke. 

I'm with you all on the "vintage" Corningware.  I have my mother's pieces, but I've also managed to snare some extras at yard sales and the Salvation Army.  Ebay is a godsend for finding stuff, however, as it's the equivalent of a giant thrift store.  Some of the colors are more expensive as they appeal to specialty collectors.  I don't mind sticking to the white with blue flowers or the white with 70s color decorations (avocado and harvest gold).

• Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

UTI's. The fucking worst. The symptoms hit you like a ton of bricks and the antibiotics they give you make you feel sick. Ugh. 

<--- just back from the doctor, have a UTI

And it seems to happen at the worst possible time, like while on vacation or the day before a holiday.  I’ve only had a few, but I learned to use Telehealth...can get meds in an hour and, I’ve started daily cranberry supplements with lots of water as a preventative. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
(edited)

I’m a Pyrex girl myself, specifically the vintage solid colors. I was lucky enough to get a bunch (solid and patterns) from my BF’s mom when she was packing to move. But, ohhhhh, the small brown bowl broke, man.

I have had moments of wondering if people are lacking intellectual curiosity as well. But then I just realize that, while they may not have it for Topic A, for all I know they have it for Topics B through Z — and they possibly wonder if I have  no curiosity based on the fact I know nothing about a specific thing that they might know all about. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I don't mind sticking to the white with blue flowers or the white with 70s color decorations (avocado and harvest gold).

Oh, this took me back! Mom and Dad took all of the vintage dishes when they moved to India! Those were the best.

• Love 1

I have a Pyrex and Corning Ware mix. I was lucky enough to inherit pieces from both of my grandmothers, who each favored different patterns, so I have a weird mix (I have the yellow and brown Pyrex bowls and the blue and white floral and blue and white "farm scene" <I don't know how else to describe it> Corning Ware). I also broke one of the bowls a few years ago and found an exact duplicate on eBay from a thrift store in Nebraska that sold on the site. eBay can be a goldmine for random stuff, it never hurts to look.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I have a Pyrex and Corning Ware mix. I was lucky enough to inherit pieces from both of my grandmothers, who each favored different patterns, so I have a weird mix (I have the yellow and brown Pyrex bowls and the blue and white floral and blue and white "farm scene" <I don't know how else to describe it> Corning Ware). I also broke one of the bowls a few years ago and found an exact duplicate on eBay from a thrift store in Nebraska that sold on the site. eBay can be a goldmine for random stuff, it never hurts to look.

This is a fact. I wanted a DVD of Wuthering Heights (Oberon/Olivier version) and Amazon wanted $700.00(!!!) for one. I got one for $15.00 in Ebay. Granted it's in Korean but it's easy enough to change it to English with the push of a button on the remote.

My dad eats his cereal and basically anything that needs a bowl out of this bowl. It didn't' even occur to me that it was a mixing bowl until my mom referred to it as such a few years ago. To keep it topical, my peeve is that he fills this bowl up with cereal, or chips. It holds like half a box of cereal. He has diabetes and is morbidly obese. I wish I could get him to see that this is not a cereal bowl. 

image.thumb.png.d5f4bbc7c54dd2805b3334aa1807b237.png

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

That's the one that I had that broke!

It's on eBay Etsy for $9.95. Not sure if I can post the link but I searched Google for "small brown pyrex bowl 1980s" and it came right up. PM me if you can't find it (want want to find it).

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1

Mom has that one in blue. We call it the "macaroni bowl" because my sisters used it to mix up Kraft macaroni and cheese after boiling the noodles. We also used it to cover a mouse our cat had killed and hid in the pile of jeans ready for the wash. When I picked up the pile, the dead mouse fell out. The cat came running for her kill. We didn't want her playing with it, but we were all too scared to pick up the mouse. We finally got a neighbor boy to pick it up and throw it outside. Corningware was so versatile for 1980s latchkey kids!

Mom also had the white dinnerware with green flowers. I think my youngest sister took those when Mom renovated the kitchen.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had to deal with this sort of thing recently and know how exasperating it is. In my case it didn't get resolved until after I started pointing out specifically and repeatedly where they were at fault (even though my understandable mistake had triggered the whole mess).
Let us know how it goes!

As you get older, everyday is something of a challenge and it’s enough to put one over the top.  Things are getting so complicated.  Nobody does anything right.  You buy a car and something goes wrong.  You buy an appliance and something goes wrong.  You get a package and something is broken.  You’re waiting for a check from the government and it takes forever.  When your payment for something is late no fault of yours, so they charge you a late payment.  And so it goes.  You’re never the winner.  I give up.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Mom has that one in blue. We call it the "macaroni bowl" because my sisters used it to mix up Kraft macaroni and cheese after boiling the noodles. We also used it to cover a mouse our cat had killed and hid in the pile of jeans ready for the wash. When I picked up the pile, the dead mouse fell out. The cat came running for her kill. We didn't want her playing with it, but we were all too scared to pick up the mouse. We finally got a neighbor boy to pick it up and throw it outside. Corningware was so versatile for 1980s latchkey kids!

Mom also had the white dinnerware with green flowers. I think my youngest sister took those when Mom renovated the kitchen.

I use my blue and white everyday while three sets of gorgeous China sits in the China cabinet.  My girls have their own and don’t want mine.  If and when I have company which is rare lately, I’ll put it out.  My favorite is the Franciscan pink rose pattern made in England.  Heavy, but pretty.  I don’t entertain much anymore .. too much trouble as you get older.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

As you get older, everyday is something of a challenge and it’s enough to put one over the top.  Things are getting so complicated.  Nobody does anything right.  You buy a car and something goes wrong.  You buy an appliance and something goes wrong.  You get a package and something is broken.  You’re waiting for a check from the government and it takes forever.  When your payment for something is late no fault of yours, so they charge you a late payment.  And so it goes.  You’re never the winner.  I give up.

You’re not wrong, @Hangin Out, but those of us who have a lifetime’s worth of “Can I speak to your supervisor?” phone calls experience cannot give up.  
Just last week I got my secondary health insurance company to send me an email admitting they were sorry for mistakenly not paying the remaining $28.29 of my bill, which I then “printed” as a PDF and sent to my health care provider’s billing office, who emailed that they had noted it in my file.  
A couple of months ago I got Amazon to reimburse me for $300 that a scam artist had tricked me into spending for an old friend they pretended to be (Amazon has a policy against putting through orders like that particular one *because* they are usually part of a scam, so, after numerous calls, I convinced them it was their fault).

But maybe those who don’t fight back spend that time living a better life. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

You’re not wrong, @Hangin Out, but those of us who have a lifetime’s worth of “Can I speak to your supervisor?” phone calls experience cannot give up.  
Just last week I got my secondary health insurance company to send me an email admitting they were sorry for mistakenly not paying the remaining $28.29 of my bill, which I then “printed” as a PDF and sent to my health care provider’s billing office, who emailed that they had noted it in my file.  
A couple of months ago I got Amazon to reimburse me for $300 that a scam artist had tricked me into spending for an old friend they pretended to be (Amazon has a policy against putting through orders like that particular one *because* they are usually part of a scam, so, after numerous calls, I convinced them it was their fault).

But maybe those who don’t fight back spend that time living a better life. 

Now, when it’s a fairly big problem, I write or e mail directly to the CEO of the Company.  I don’t give a shit.  Once I wrote to the CEO of Chevrolet for something.  It was taken care of ASAP.  I’ve learned to be aggressive. Lol.  The Salesmen are crooks.  They play nice until you sign .. then don’t want to know you anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And it seems to happen at the worst possible time, like while on vacation or the day before a holiday.  I’ve only had a few, but I learned to use Telehealth...can get meds in an hour and, I’ve started daily cranberry supplements with lots of water as a preventative. 

I started taking D-Mannose about 4 years ago (a friend recommended them). Have not had a UTI since. It's a cranberry supplement. My PCP & urologist know I take D-Mannose. It's pretty good stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

I have that bowl-except its red. I also have a larger one in yellow. Both came from my in-laws who have been gone for many years.

Oh God.  Hate to say but while cleaning out my Fathers house after he died, I threw those bowls of all colors out.  I was overwhelmed and out of my mind at the time of selling his house.  I have my own bowls and the ones I like best are from Martha Stewart of hard plastic each in a different color.  There’s about 5 of them different sizes and very strong in one set.  At Walmart.

19 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

Now, when it’s a fairly big problem, I write or e mail directly to the CEO of the Company.  I don’t give a shit.  Once I wrote to the CEO of Chevrolet for something.  It was taken care of ASAP.  I’ve learned to be aggressive. Lol.  The Salesmen are crooks.  They play nice until you sign .. then don’t want to know you anymore.

That’s the best way to get a response.  I’ve never had to do it but years ago I worked for the Vice President of Claims at a health insurer and every so often the Company President’s Secretary would show up with a complaint letter from a policyholder who was dissatisfied with how a claim was handled.  That had the attention of the President, my boss, and the Claims Manager until it was resolved.  The Company President’s Secretary kept a log of these letters and kept people accountable.  On one occasion my boss told me “we screwed up”.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I started taking D-Mannose about 4 years ago (a friend recommended them). Have not had a UTI since. It's a cranberry supplement. My PCP & urologist know I take D-Mannose. It's pretty good stuff.

I take those. But in the spring like clockwork I get them. Part of it is the end of the school year my body always just gives out. The other is I do a lot of running and for whatever reason that triggers UTI's/

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The other is I do a lot of running and for whatever reason that triggers UTI's/

More water?
Even if you think you're hydrating, it might not be enough, especially if you still have no problem drinking more. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

More water?
Even if you think you're hydrating, it might not be enough, especially if you still have no problem drinking more. 

I've been taking a break from running ever since coming back with the antibiotics yesterday. But I think I drink enough water when working out.  But I guess not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Once upon a time, I got fed up and just wanted to unload on someone who was not part of the regional office responsible for landscaping my yard.  I was sick of talking to them.  So I looked for an online customer service number that was corporate rather than local.  I kid you not, the CEO's secretary answered whatever number I found and was going to put me through.  I was so startled that I didn't do it because I didn't really intend to take the nuclear option when dialing that phone. 

Maybe I should have,  But I guess I worry too much about the consequences landing on the wrong person because I work for a corporation and see how these things go down and my landscaper had already been fired.  And they were trying to fix things but their ability to screw up one thing while fixing two others was remarkable.  And I also had a premonition of that call leading to having to deal with them more than that one time and I didn't want to.  I was burned out. My four day project went on (and off because I had to take breaks from it for my sanity) for a year.

And all of you probably shop at this place.  I rarely do any more, but when I do I inevitably get triggered by someone telling me how great their landscaping service is.  So if you ever see someone wandering through the plants, muttering about mulch island*, just wave hello to me as you back away from the crazy lady.

*Mulch island is what I dubbed the square of land in the middle of my yard where they realized they were one piece of sod and decided to mulch it instead.  It wasn't the worse thing they did.  But it was the thing that broke me.   It was also very effective leverage to get stuff fixed.  All I needed to do was send a picture with a rectangle of mulch surrounded by grass with "WTF?"

• Love 3
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This is a fact. I wanted a DVD of Wuthering Heights (Oberon/Olivier version) and Amazon wanted $700.00(!!!) for one. I got one for $15.00 in Ebay. Granted it's in Korean but it's easy enough to change it to English with the push of a button on the remote.

Damn. I checked Amazon after reading your post and was shocked to discover that yes, this famous film is out of print in region 1.  Incredible, and yet sadly not really surprising.  Yet another reason why I thank the gods every single day for Turner Classic Movies.

• Love 6
(edited)

I was *Really* peeved by the *Very* noisy birds fornicating on the ledge outside my bedroom window starting at 5:30a.m. and getting louder for hours —the ledge having become available when my son-in-law graciously installed an air conditioner recently.  
But apparently the birds were more peeved at my banging on the air conditioner a few times, as they left. 
(It’s been cool, so the air conditioner has been silent, but the heat returns today.)

ETA:   
Crap. One of the birds was just hovering and spying in my window, and when I banged again* the other 2 flew up and away with him/her.  So it’s a thruple?

————

*Don’t worry. I’m only banging lightly. The air conditioner isn’t going to fall out of the window. 
And, yes, it’s a second story window, so making the ledge less bird friendly would be difficult, and my son-in-law can’t do heights. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, GussieK said:

Attention, Peevers:  On the new episode of Family Karma someone is cooking with a Corningware casserole with the avocado/gold/rust designs!  

I think my parents still have a gigantic one they use for salads at family dinners!  This goes back to the 80s when my mom used it at family/friend barbecues (her recipe would include fruits AND greens, including avocado.  The dressing was a mix of lemon juice and honey, topped with (ewwww) Kraft’s Creamy Cucumber dressing.  It’s since been replaced with plain ol’ EVOO and balsamic).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I think my parents still have a gigantic one they use for salads at family dinners!  This goes back to the 80s when my mom used it at family/friend barbecues (her recipe would include fruits AND greens, including avocado.  The dressing was a mix of lemon juice and honey, topped with (ewwww) Kraft’s Creamy Cucumber dressing.  It’s since been replaced with plain ol’ EVOO and balsamic).

That sounded great until you mentioned Creamy Cucumber dressing.  I've never even heard of it, but it sounds awful.   I do remember Green Goddess dressing.  Remember there used to be a Campbell's Cream of Celery soup.  Yech.  Feel free to chime in with any other unappetizing green foods.

• Love 1

I just went to look at my Corningware I received for wedding gifts. It's the green/yellow/orange/brown color scheme and it has artichokes, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes on it. All my other Corningware is new and has no pattern at all. Plus with the newer models the lids slide around and are a frigging owie my toe hazard.

• Love 1

Oh, I have a “green” peeve about condiments! When a brand that was vegan suddenly says fuck that and starts to include eggs or whey or some shit! At least update the label’s design so I notice, you dumb jerks!

1 hour ago, GussieK said:

That sounded great until you mentioned Creamy Cucumber dressing.  I've never even heard of it, but it sounds awful.   I do remember Green Goddess dressing.  Remember there used to be a Campbell's Cream of Celery soup.  Yech.  Feel free to chime in with any other unappetizing green foods.

It IS awful, and it still exists (at least in Canada).  I guess some people still like this.  I personally don't buy bottled dressing.  Not even "house made" ones at gourmet grocery stores.  

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, I have a “green” peeve about condiments! When a brand that was vegan suddenly says fuck that and starts to include eggs or whey or some shit! At least update the label’s design so I notice, you dumb jerks!

Relatedly: When a product that previously consisted of very few ingredients (e.g., soy milk that was just water and soybeans) now has "natural flavors." Um. Could you please be more specific????

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, PRgal said:

It IS awful, and it still exists (at least in Canada).  I guess some people still like this.  I personally don't buy bottled dressing.  Not even "house made" ones at gourmet grocery stores.  

I occasionally buy Ranch.  But I also dislike and avoid bottled dressings.  They have that canned artificial spice taste. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

It's just too easy to make your own vinaigrette.

I had to read that three times before I understood it.  I thought it said perves, as in pervert.

Over in the Young and the Restless topics, we call ourselves Preverts because when we first started coming here it was called Previously TV.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I do remember Green Goddess dressing.

I make that every once in a while.  I mostly make a variety of vinaigrettes.  The only dressing I don't make from scratch is ranch; for that I use the Hidden Valley original ranch seasoning mixed into a mayo, sour cream, and milk combination, with some fresh dill added.

• Love 1

OH, another thing! I have been having a rotten time lately finding vegan plain -- NOT vanilla -- yogurt! I use that to make salad dressings, so I clearly do not want vanilla. Plus, vanilla-flavored things always taste like "subliminal mint" to me. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I make that every once in a while.  I mostly make a variety of vinaigrettes.  The only dressing I don't make from scratch is ranch; for that I use the Hidden Valley original ranch seasoning mixed into a mayo, sour cream, and milk combination, with some fresh dill added.

Some restaurants serve a nice type of lemony mustardy vinaigrette.  I’ve never been able to replicate it to my satisfaction. But just using a light application of EVOO and balsamic with some salt and pepper is good. 

• Love 2