Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

I think we have the same ex-husband.  I wonder how many times he's been married.

@Brookside, lol! As they say, he's an ex for a reason, and there are many, many examples of why we were not compatible beyond this. 

Pet Peeve for today:  I love how restaurants present salads with the tomatoes in one spot, the avocado neatly sliced in another, bacon over there, green peppers up here, etc., all piled on a bed of lettuce, it's beautiful, however, when you go do eat it you have to mix it up on that tiny little plate! I end up with it all over my place setting like a 2 year old learning to eat! 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate it when people toss fast food bags from their moving car on to lawns, and also the absurd number of scratch lottery tickets that are just tossed on the ground.   Those individuals clearly weren't raised properly. 

And cigarette butts and paper cups.  Money I don't mind.  You can throw all the money on the ground you want to.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
36 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

My biggest pet is that I hate to see anyone cook or prepare food or working out with long hair just hanging in their face.

Same goes for any people cooking with super long nails...yuck that just gives me the chills thinking of that 🤮

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

My biggest pet is that I hate to see anyone cook or prepare food or working out with long hair just hanging in their face.

When shown on TV, seeing someone prepare food without gloves on has grossed me out for quite a few years. I'm so glad restaurants now require that cooks wear gloves. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When shown on TV, seeing someone prepare food without gloves on has grossed me out for quite a few years. I'm so glad restaurants now require that cooks wear gloves. 

Gloves aren't any cleaner than hands that have been washed.  Especially if you aren't changing them every time you touch something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Gloves aren't any cleaner than hands that have been washed.  Especially if you aren't changing them every time you touch something.

When I was a florist one of my assistants always wore gloves while designing. I had to grab every one of her vase arrangements before they went out the door because the gloves left a sticky residue on them. I would then have to wipe them down with Windex. Every damn time.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It must have something to do with the type of gloves being used.

When I go to the doctor, and he is done poking and prodding me, none of my body parts stick to my clothing.   I suppose I could dust myself for fingerprints just to see if there is any residue.

That said, way back in my middle school days a few decades ago, they brought in a doctor to do the old "turn your head and cough" with ever male student and he wasn't using gloves at all.  Granted he was having to do that to well over a hundred male students and he would have gone through a ton of rubber gloves.  I still think he should have used them.

It wasn't residue from the gloves it was flower goo sticking to the gloves and then transferring onto the vases.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate it when people toss fast food bags from their moving car on to lawns, and also the absurd number of scratch lottery tickets that are just tossed on the ground.   Those individuals clearly weren't raised properly. 

Their parents were probably the ones who took them to the movies & then told them to leave all their garbage at their seats for the cleaning people to clean up.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

Their parents were probably the ones who took them to the movies & then told them to leave all their garbage at their seats for the cleaning people to clean up.

I once actually saw a kid try to return a shopping cart to the grocery store and his mom grabbed his arm and said "Don't bother. They have people for that." Way to teach your kid to be a good citizen there, lady.

Just now, icemiser69 said:

I have seen high school age kids just driving around in a car do it.   How hard can it be for them to bring their trash home and throw it in the garbage?

Or throw it out the next time you get gas?

• Love 4

When I worked in a bookstore, people would come in with food and drinks from the food court and coffee place in the mall, and you'd be amazed at how many of them would just leave the wrappers and half full cups on the shelves. We had a trashcan right outside the store-it's been there for years. And we had a place to throw trash right up at the front desk, customers could've come up to us and asked us to dispose of their stuff for them that way, too. 

But nope. Much better to just leave the stuff right on the shelves. That makes sense :/. 

(I also remember once spending part of a Sunday shift scraping off some already chewed gum that somebody had apparently stuck underneath one of the shelves. That was fun.)

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

When I worked in a bookstore, people would come in with food and drinks from the food court and coffee place in the mall, and you'd be amazed at how many of them would just leave the wrappers and half full cups on the shelves. We had a trashcan right outside the store-it's been there for years. And we had a place to throw trash right up at the front desk, customers could've come up to us and asked us to dispose of their stuff for them that way, too. 

But nope. Much better to just leave the stuff right on the shelves. That makes sense :/. 

(I also remember once spending part of a Sunday shift scraping off some already chewed gum that somebody had apparently stuck underneath one of the shelves. That was fun.)

I worked in retail for many years. There are people who think retail workers are maids who are there to do whatever the customer wants. I believe everyone should have to work in retail for at least a month in order to be full citizens. Maybe if they could see it from the other side they'd be better informed. Nah, what am I thinking. It wouldn't change a thing. Entitled asshats are gonna asshat.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

That said, way back in my middle school days a few decades ago, they brought in a doctor to do the old "turn your head and cough" with ever male student and he wasn't using gloves at all. 

I'd love to see the schools try to do something like that today.  They'd be up to their ass in lawsuits and everybody would be in counseling.

When I worked in a bookstore, people would come in with food and drinks from the food court and coffee place in the mall, and you'd be amazed at how many of them would just leave the wrappers and half full cups on the shelves. 

I work for a huge souvenir store.  I choose to work in their warehouse down the street rather than the actual store because employees in the store have to be pleasant and kind to the customers and I'm at the "get off my lawn" stage of life.   I went to the store one day in my off hours to get some t-shirts.  I notice a giant cup of melting ice cream sitting on a ledge near the shirts.  We don't even sell ice cream.  Took it to the cashier to throw away and told her I was a fellow employee and where I'd found it.  We gave each other the "damned selfish slobs" face that is universally known in retail.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't care. It's better than having germs from under fingernails get into the food.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I worked in retail for many years. There are people who think retail workers are maids who are there to do whatever the customer wants. I believe everyone should have to work in retail for at least a month in order to be full citizens. Maybe if they could see it from the other side they'd be better informed. Nah, what am I thinking. It wouldn't change a thing. Entitled asshats are gonna asshat.

Yeah, my whole family's done the retail thing at some point, and you're not wrong about the whole "retail workers are maids" thing. I too have always believed that people should be required to work in retail at some point in their lives. Or any other kind of customer service job. Especially if it's one that is often low-paying. Let them see what it's actually like having to deal with crappy customers at a job that doesn't pay you near enough to put up with their shit. 

18 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I work for a huge souvenir store.  I choose to work in their warehouse down the street rather than the actual store because employees in the store have to be pleasant and kind to the customers and I'm at the "get off my lawn" stage of life.   I went to the store one day in my off hours to get some t-shirts.  I notice a giant cup of melting ice cream sitting on a ledge near the shirts.  We don't even sell ice cream.  Took it to the cashier to throw away and told her I was a fellow employee and where I'd found it.  We gave each other the "damned selfish slobs" face that is universally known in retail.

Oh, geez. I share in both your and the cashier's reaction. 

I'm also with you on the "get off my lawn" part of things. It is frustrating that customers can lash out at the employees all they want and the employees just have to take it. Especially if the manager decides to bend over backwards to please them rather than stick up for the employee. My mom had a couple managers that were like that and it drove her nuts. 

• Love 3

My mom dealt with that all the time when she worked at a Pier 1 store! Either the piece would be too big to fit in the car, or it was the sort that could fit...if the people would, y'know, clear out their skis and other junk they have crammed in the back/trunk area. 

• Love 4

I will now share the story of Saint Frank, the patron saint of retail workers. I used to work in a custom paint and designer wallpaper shop. We had two locations. One in the city and one in the suburbs. Frank worked at the one in the city. There was a painting contractor who was a notorious pain in the ass. He yelled, he screamed in peoples faces, he treated his crew like absolute shit. What I'm saying is that everybody hated him. One day he came into the shop and went into his usual abusive routine. Frank was not having it. He came over the counter and flew at this guy. He chased him out of the store and into the parking lot. He told the ass in no uncertain terms that he was banned, 86'd and to never darken our door again. And believe me, people were cheering. Saint Frank.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Then don't turn on Rachel Ray's tv show. She doesn't even brush her scraggly mop of hair that's hanging down, shedding into every bowl and pan she uses. I can't even look. (So I don't. Just happened to flip it on one day, then immediately off again.)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't care. It's better than having germs from under fingernails get into the food.

In most cases it is not. There was a food-prep glove mandate here for a while, but health officials determined too many people were improperly using gloves and cross-contaminating more frequently because the gloves gave them a false sense of security. People were not factoring in that the gloves themselves could and would be dirty and need to be changed as frequently as one would need to handwash doing the same task gloveless. So the glove mandate was revoked in favor of handwashing rules (there are glove rules too, but gloves themselves are no longer mandatory). I realize it may sound silly because why would people who disregard one rule follow the other, but for some reason by and large they do. If someone has a cut or wound of some kind with a bandage, there should be a glove over that, but otherwise, people's hands are cleaner when you make them wash their hands constantly than when you tell them to wear gloves.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Then don't turn on Rachel Ray's tv show. She doesn't even brush her scraggly mop of hair that's hanging down, shedding into every bowl and pan she uses. I can't even look. (So I don't. Just happened to flip it on one day, then immediately off again.)

Ditto The Pioneer Woman, along with her soup sweeper sleeves and jangly bracelets.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

People were not factoring in that the gloves themselves could and would be dirty and need to be changed as frequently as one would need to handwash doing the same task gloveless

I imagine those glove-wearing food-prep people to be picking their noses, coughing into their hands and scratching their butts with gloves on because, hey! gloves! Even filthy gloves keep hands clean. Don't do much to protect the food though.

I respect Subway's rule of new sandwich, new gloves.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I still can't figure out on grilled cheese sandwich day, how those sandwiches ended up being as hard as a paving stone.  Not just the edges of the sandwich, the whole sandwich.🥪   You could drive nails with them.

Made on the first of the month for grilled-cheese day on the 15th? Then chucked under a heat lamp to warm them up a few hours before lunch bell rings?

• LOL 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, Brookside said:

I was once walking by a car that was stopped at a red light, and the driver threw an empty soda can out of his window.  Totally by instinct I picked it up and threw it back in.

I love this! I will try to remember it whenever I am feeling frustrated by scofflaw behaviors.

Editing to clarify that I wouldn't actually do something like this, but that when I have the urge, instead, I will think about @Brookside throwing the can back in the car and that will be enough of a vicarious thrill so I won't feel so frustrated.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have a dog that looks like your picture.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

But wait, there's more.

I would never in a million years do it.  I would be afraid someone would pull over and clean my clock.

My clock isn't even dirty.

Believe me, I would never do it today, living in the US.  It happened decades ago in a country where you'd probably be sworn at, but weren't at risk of being shot.

• Useful 4
On 7/15/2020 at 10:20 AM, icemiser69 said:

omg, the scratch off's, last fall on my walk I must have picked up 30 of them, and found more the next day, wth is with that???

20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ditto The Pioneer Woman, along with her soup sweeper sleeves and jangly bracelets.

19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Rings, bracelets...no thanks. So it comes down to whichever looks/feels safe & appealing to the viewer and/or diner.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets grossed out by all of the above. I watch Chopped, love it, but so many times I've seen chefs (male & female) with hair dangling over cutting boards and pots, earrings, noserings, and bracelets either dipping into sauces or having the potential to fall into them, and then the long beards and sweaty bald heads dripping on to the plates. Yuck. And don't get me started about the wiping off of the plates to neaten them with the same towel/rag I just saw them wipe their hands on.....

• Love 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets grossed out by all of the above. I watch Chopped, love it, but so many times I've seen chefs (male & female) with hair dangling over cutting boards and pots, earrings, noserings, and bracelets either dipping into sauces or having the potential to fall into them, and then the long beards and sweaty bald heads dripping on to the plates. Yuck. And don't get me started about the wiping off of the plates to neaten them with the same towel/rag I just saw them wipe their hands on.....

It took me years to get my DH to stop wiping the counter with the same dish towel we dry our hands on. The worst though, was him wiping up spills on the floor with our sponge! Every time he did it I would demote the sponge and put it in a bucket under the sink. When the bucket got full he finally got the idea.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:
16 hours ago, Brookside said:

I was once walking by a car that was stopped at a red light, and the driver threw an empty soda can out of his window.  Totally by instinct I picked it up and threw it back in.

But wait, there's more.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I love this! I will try to remember it whenever I am feeling frustrated by scofflaw behaviors.

I would never in a million years do it.  I would be afraid someone would pull over and clean my clock.

Sorry. I will edit it now to clarify that I wouldn't actually do it
--in part because my NYC daughter recently lectured me about avoiding confrontations, but also because I was a bit of a germophobe before the pandemic. 
I meant that thinking about @Brookside throwing the can back in the car will be enough of a vicarious thrill so I won't feel so frustrated
--like, for instance, with the guy who brings his dog to the "No Pets" beach (instead of the nearby Dog Beach) and has him fetch stuff in the water while I'm swimming at 6:30 a.m. to avoid humans and get home and out of the shower in time for the call from my mother's hospice caregiver.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

like, for instance, with the guy who brings his dog to the "No Pets" beach (instead of the nearby Dog Beach)

Nothing like stepping into something warm with your bare feet. 

14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I can barely tolerate eating cake that has had candles blown out on it.  Even then, yuck.🤢

I never gave that a thought when I was a kid, but now, even seeing it on tv, I'm so totally grossed. Funniest Videos seems to think that a little kid spitting on his birthday cake to put out candles is hee-larious.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Funniest Videos

There is nothing funny about "Funniest Videos," IMO. It is mostly people getting injured, likely who will have permanent damage that will cause a lifetime of pain. How is this funny? Just because someone is able to get up after a serious accident does not mean they are not hurt. Injuries that hurt are usually less serious. It's when you can't feel the pain and only see the puddle of blood that you know you've damaged yourself. These shows that glorify foolish stunts are a definite Pet Peeve of mine (in case you didn't notice).

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There is nothing funny about "Funniest Videos," IMO. It is mostly people getting injured, likely who will have permanent damage that will cause a lifetime of pain. How is this funny? Just because someone is able to get up after a serious accident does not mean they are not hurt. Injuries that hurt are usually less serious. It's when you can't feel the pain and only see the puddle of blood that you know you've damaged yourself. These shows that glorify foolish stunts are a definite Pet Peeve of mine (in case you didn't notice).

I haven't watched since maybe college.  Even back then I only watched if I had nothing better to do and only liked the cute animal ones.  But, none of them, or at least hardly any, were actually funny.

• Love 5

I used to watch that show when I was a kid, but yeah, the constant injuries never really appealed to me, either. Videos of pets doing funny things, or babies/toddlers doing something goofy, those I liked. 

I also remember often thinking that the videos that usually won the big prize were never the ones my family would've picked. And then there were some that just looked so clearly staged by the people to try and get them on the show, which takes all the fun out of the whole concept. 

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wish they'd take that stupid show off the air.  Several years ago, I happened to stop scrolling and see what was going on re: kids in a snow yard. All of a sudden a young child, maybe 5, got walloped with a huge amount of snow, probably from a snow shovel.  I heard an audience laughing and it went back to the studio where the host (maybe Bob Saget?) who was also laughing. I was dumbfounded. They didn't show the reaction of the child nor who tossed the huge amount of snow.  I remember reading shortly afterward that staff on the show often had to notify police and or social workers re: what they'd see in these videos.  I bet the scenes are all set up. Nasty people.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

was never a fan of that series.  More often than not, most of the videos in the later years IMO looked staged.

As was bound to happen.  I remember being at some youth group activiity and someone had a camcorder, and someone else kept saying, "we have to send this into AFV."  I said "something funny has to happen first."  We were literally pretty much doing nothing.  So someone pulled someone's chair out from under him when he was going to sit down and he spilled spaghetti on the floor.  We were at the leaders' house and the wife was not happy at all.  And, I'm pretty sure that didn't get sent in, because that's still not funny.

• Love 5
(edited)
37 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There is nothing funny about "Funniest Videos," IMO.

Every once in a while a clip will make me laugh, but on the whole, I agree. The clips chosen for every episode's winner is always a little kid saying something stupid. Even if there is only one clip of a kid saying something stupid, that's the one that is chosen winner. The best part is, while the (little kid) winner is being voted for, they show some clips that really are funny.

Videos of people being injured don't phase me (or make me laugh), I figure if they want to be Johnny Knoxville or Steve-O Jackasses, that's fine with me. The clips that really REALLY bother me are the ones of growling, teeth-baring dogs snapping at their owners. Like that's funny? I would never accept any of those videos if I worked on the show or let one be shown. That's a dog headed for the euthanasia room because of crappy owners who don't know how to socialize a dog and shouldn't be allowed to own one.

Agree that most if not (almost) all clips are staged. See Jackass reference above.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Not a fan of people using their hands to dig a pickle out of the pickle jar.

I won't eat cake if someone licks the frosting off of their fingers after cutting each piece.

I can barely tolerate eating cake that has had candles blown out on it.  Even then, yuck.🤢

People who eat over the kitchen sink.  No, just no.

People who don't wash their hands frequently when preparing food.

All this. Also, I love animals, but I'm not sharing plates with them. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

All this. Also, I love animals, but I'm not sharing plates with them. 

Ewwwww. I cannot handle seeing a dog or cat eating from a plate that everyone else uses.  Sure, it's gone through a dishwasher with very hot heat but still ~shudder~Many years ago while working for a nonprofit foundation I was at a volunteer mtg at someone's house. She was getting out the food for our supper and her cats were walking across/sitting on the counters.  I must've had a look of horror on my face because someone said, "Are you ok" with some concern.  Thank God my brain was working fast that night.  I said I was allergic to cats (I'm not). So the hostess put the cats in a bedroom and shut the door. Whew!  We have a wonderful cat but I keep our counters clean and there's no way she'd be walking around any food, plates, etc. Blech!  Oh...at another party, I was in the kitchen and saw the hostess's cat up on the sink getting drips of water from the tap.

• Love 3
On 7/15/2020 at 8:26 PM, icemiser69 said:

Back in the cave painting days when I was in school, the cafeteria workers all wore gloves and hairnets.

I still can't figure out on grilled cheese sandwich day, how those sandwiches ended up being as hard as a paving stone.  Not just the edges of the sandwich, the whole sandwich.🥪   You could drive nails with them.

OH MY GOD, you just made me have such a sense memory of the school grilled cheese! WTF was with that and why was it ubiquitous?! (Also, weird: just as I started typing this, a commercial for Taco Bell's grilled cheese burrito came on.)

I am having a peeve, but it's bigger than that -- and one of those "duh, of COURSE it's a peeve because no one normal would be OK with it" ones. But I just want to get it OUT. So, OK, I am always signing online petitions regarding animal cruelty cases. I am not sure if it helps or doesn't, but I do it anyway. I've become really good at looking only at the section for signing, and not the details (sometimes even using my hand to cover the screen like a crazy). But sometimes I do see and then it's all over. Why the fuck are people so unnecessarily cruel? What makes someone do this shit? How can they?! It kills me. These are all rhetorical questions, of course. But, again, I had to get it out. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am having a peeve, but it's bigger than that -- and one of those "duh, of COURSE it's a peeve because no one normal would be OK with it" ones. But I just want to get it OUT. So, OK, I am always signing online petitions regarding animal cruelty cases. I am not sure if it helps or doesn't, but I do it anyway. I've become really good at looking only at the section for signing, and not the details (sometimes even using my hand to cover the screen like a crazy). But sometimes I do see and then it's all over. Why the fuck are people so unnecessarily cruel? What makes someone do this shit? How can they?! It kills me. These are all rhetorical questions, of course. But, again, I had to get it out. 

I just saw a TV spot featuring gorgeous tigers in their natural habitat. And then it switched to showing them in a taxidermy shop. I think it was a Peta ad but I was no longer watching (but was  cursing the subhumans who kill or abuse animals).  I'd donate to Peta but I can't handle the info' materials I know they'd be sending me. And those ads for the SPCA, showing the emaciated dogs shivering, chained, in a yard? I hit the mute & grab a magazine. These ads have been running during Deadline: White House a lot. Can one donate & stipulate that no materials be sent in response to the donation?  And does that work?

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just saw a TV spot featuring gorgeous tigers in their natural habitat. And then it switched to showing them in a taxidermy shop. I think it was a Peta ad but I was no longer watching (but was  cursing the subhumans who kill or abuse animals).  I'd donate to Peta but I can't handle the info' materials I know they'd be sending me. And those ads for the SPCA, showing the emaciated dogs shivering, chained, in a yard? I hit the mute & grab a magazine. These ads have been running during Deadline: White House a lot. Can one donate & stipulate that no materials be sent in response to the donation?  And does that work?

We donate to the World Wildlife Fund. They work for endangered species like tigers. They never send particularly disturbing materials.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

GAH! The latest site glitch/bug* is driving me NUTS!!!!🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Oh, So it’s not just me! I got a new iPad yesterday and thought it had something to do with me having to log in again. I agree, it’s pretty annoying!

• Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What's it doing?

Whenever I click on a notification (liked/quoted) or to a thread, it doesn’t take me to the first unread post or the post that was liked or quoted. Instead, it takes me to the top of that page, so I have scroooooollllll all the way down until I find the newest. I’ve reported it so hopefully it will get resolved.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Whenever I click on a notification (liked/quoted) or to a thread, it doesn’t take me to the first unread post or the post that was liked or quoted. Instead, it takes me to the top of that page, so I have scroooooollllll all the way until I find the newest. I’ve reported it so hopefully it will get resolved.

Oh wow!I thought it was just me -- maybe something with my system/internet!  It's kinda pissing me off, too.

• Love 1