Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, backformore said:

Yeah, I have a Keurig.  My husband leaves for work early, and has coffee at work.  I have ONE cup of coffee in the morning before I go to work.  I'm not making a pot of coffee for one cup.  I bought the Keurig because I had been stopping at Dunkin Donuts for coffee on my way to work, and realized I was spending way too much money.  

I buy K-kups on sale all the time, and use coupons.  I found that the office supply stores, like STAPLES, have good deals on them. 

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

That is the big benefit of them. 

I started using a French press this spring replacing my four cup (or two standard coffee mugs) Mr Coffee. The French press could easily be scaled down to a single mug. It is an excellent choice for anyone who already has an electric kettle and likes coffee. 

There is no law that says you have to make a full pot of coffee. I make about a cup and a half (what my travel mug holds) in my traditional coffee maker.

I also have an Aeropress but am way too lazy to use it.  

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That gives me more insight but after being screamed to at the dinner table (his father got profuse apologies the next day but I got none except “I’m sorry I blew up at you”) I’m just going to have to pray for the child but keep my nose out of it. I will be continuing to offer her the food that she wants and somewhat catering to her food issues. I can’t approach testing because that would just put me back in the hot seat. A shame isn’t it. I will say that I think she’s a mixture of special needs combined with being spoiled and manipulative. Just my opinion but I will look up what y’all have told me and watch for further signs and the best clinical way to handle them. Thank you so much everyone for your continued support and ideas. 

I think you are right not to talk directly to the parents.  However, could you perhaps call her school/teacher?  If you explain the situation and they also have concerns, they can certainly approach the parents without bringing your name up.

I have been surprised more than once by parents who are resistant to testing because they don't want their child to be "labelled".  Personally, I would want my kids to get any help necessary to help them thrive.

Edited by Brookside
grammar
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've taken to avoiding this area because I just don't have the patience or sympathy to listen to that poster anymore

That's the beauty of the "ignore" feature.   When you have almost an entire page of "You have chosen to ignore posts by X", you realize you have chosen to ignore X precisely because they post repeatedly when no one else is saying anything.  My "ignore" list is 3 pages long, because I can't be arsed to skip over their posts, I would rather have it done for me.

• Love 6

I feel like this has come up before, but I hate those lists of things that women over 30, 40, 50 shouldn't own.  I just read the one for over 50 and even though I'm "only" 45 and only have one item on the list (a flip phone), I still found it to be ridiculously judgmental.  Why is it such a sin for a woman to have a sports team blanket?  Or a piggy bank? I mean, really, the reasoning on that was you're supposed to take your change to the bank. So, every time I go to the store and get 73 cents back in change, I need to rush right over to the bank instead of waiting until I have a bunch to roll?

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I feel like this has come up before, but I hate those lists of things that women over 30, 40, 50 shouldn't own.  I just read the one for over 50 and even though I'm "only" 45 and only have one item on the list (a flip phone), I still found it to be ridiculously judgmental.  Why is it such a sin for a woman to have a sports team blanket?  Or a piggy bank? I mean, really, the reasoning on that was you're supposed to take your change to the bank. So, every time I go to the store and get 73 cents back in change, I need to rush right over to the bank instead of waiting until I have a bunch to roll?

I have a Seattle Seahawks blanket and they can pry it from my cold dead hand.

While we're on the subject of beverage peeves, can anyone recommend a good electric kettle? My DH drives me crazy by drinking at least ten cups of tea a day and he leaves our tea kettle on low on a burner on the stove all fucking day! This cannot be good for the stove and we keep needing to replace elements.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

While we're on the subject of beverage peeves, can anyone recommend a good electric kettle? My DH drives me crazy by drinking at least ten cups of tea a day and he leaves our tea kettle on low on a burner on the stove all fucking day! This cannot be good for the stove and we keep needing to replace elements.

I have an Elite similar to this.  It's worked fine for years.  One of the best features of an electric kettle is the automatic turn-off feature when the water boils.  Also, if you're cooking a big meal, it doesn't take up space on the stove top.

image.png.9df0af9104ae93408a72ddb5635afdd6.png

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I have an Elite similar to this.  It's worked fine for years.  One of the best features of an electric kettle is the automatic turn-off feature when the water boils.  Also, if you're cooking a big meal, it doesn't take up space on the stove top.

image.png.9df0af9104ae93408a72ddb5635afdd6.png

That looks perfect and Amazon has this one for $23.32. I put it in my cart and will be purchasing for DH this Christmas. Thanks, Brookside!

• Love 5

I wonder what "they" would say about my Rob Zombie Devil's Rejects blanket. Probably that a woman of my age shouldn't have been at a horror convention in the first place?

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I hate those lists, too. Have you noticed it's never "things MEN over 30, 40, 50 shouldn't own"??

It's a free goddamned country, and I decide what I "should" own or not.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I wonder what "they" would say about my Rob Zombie Devil's Rejects blanket. Probably that a woman of my age shouldn't have been at a horror convention in the first place?

That's awesome! I have an Alice Cooper jack in the box and the same company makes a Rob Zombie one and an Ozzy Osbourne. The Alice plays Welcome to My Nightmare, Zombie plays Dragula and the Ozzy plays Bark at the Moon. That blanket sounds so cool.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have that Rob Zombie (aka my boyfriend, haha! Seriously, that is one handsome man) one--it's surprisingly loud! Has any of the rubber on any of yours started deteriorating? I've carefully glued his arms back together more than once, man. I would love, LOVE, LOVE an Alice Cooper one! Something tells me that you and I would have some fun dance parties.

The blanket is cool. BUT as is true for many fleece throws, it's not big enough to cover all of me and it gets quite staticky.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I hate those lists, too. Have you noticed it's never "things MEN over 30, 40, 50 shouldn't own"??

It's a free goddamned country, and I decide what I "should" own or not.

Actually, to be fair, this time there was also one for men over 50.  I just didn't look at that one.  Maybe I should.

I actually have a couple of things from the men's list (a frat sweatshirt, but of course mine's sorority, and an unmade bed, I'm just going to mess it up again, and stacks of unopened mail, maybe people could mail me less stuff).  But, by and large, I didn't find it so ridiculous.  Maxed out credit cards?  Yeah, not good for anybody to have.  Wearing pajama bottoms in public.  On the other hand my parents have a mini-fridge upstairs with some snacks and water in it, because their bedroom is upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs and if they get the flu, well, that's just good sense.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have that Rob Zombie (aka my boyfriend, haha! Seriously, that is one handsome man) one--it's surprisingly loud! Has any of the rubber on any of yours started deteriorating? I've carefully glued his arms back together more than once, man. I would love, LOVE, LOVE an Alice Cooper one! Something tells me that you and I would have some fun dance parties.

The blanket is cool. BUT as is true for many fleece throws, it's not big enough to cover all of me and it gets quite staticky.

Yes, we've had to glue poor Alice's hand back on at least twice now. You'd probably love my framed playbill from seeing Vincent Price on stage as Oscar Wilde. One man show he toured with called Diversions & Delights.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just found this one:

Stuffed animals

This is kind of just creepy after a certain point. If there are no kids around, there’s no need for there to be stuffed animals laying around—especially on your bed.

You mean to tell me that I should just unceremoniously trash the pink rabbit--my favorite thing as a child--that my dad gave me when I was one, making said rabbit (whose name is Paul!) at the very least 46 years old? Just envisioning doing that makes me so sad! So, yes, maybe I'm creepy...

but it's not for this!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Just found this one:

You mean to tell me that I should just unceremoniously trash the pink rabbit--my favorite thing as a child--that my dad gave me when I was one, making said rabbit (whose name is Paul!) at the very least 46 years old? Just envisioning doing that makes me so sad!

I had a ton of stuffed animals as a kid.  When my parents moved, I got rid of a lot of them, but I kept the ones with sentimental value.  Still too many, probably.  But, seriously, who am I hurting?

• Love 4
(edited)

@Katy M: No one! And even if they were on your bed, so what? Mine are not--the few special ones I saved are arranged on top of the wardrobe in the bedroom...

except Paul. He sits right on my nightstand regardless of stupid lists!

Another one. And, haha, good luck getting people to give up common hair-restraining devices! But I guess we aren't supposed to have hair long enough to clip anyway!

Claw Hair Clips

They look like you accidentally walked out of the salon in the middle of a single-process. To be fair, they’re handy if you need to section your hair while you’re styling it, but they otherwise should never see the light of day. And don’t even get us started on plastic banana clips.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

@Katy M: No one! And even if they were on your bed, so what? Mine are not--the few special ones I saved are arranged on top of the wardrobe in the bedroom...

except Paul. He sits right on my nightstand regardless of stupid lists!

Mine are on top of my dresser.  And it really helped to have one to sleep with after my cat died.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have two or three stuffed animals with sentimental value, but they're in a storage box in the garage (because I don't like the look of them as part of a room's decor, not because I don't think anyone should have them out past a certain age), so I should just donate them like I did with all the rest way back when so some kid can use them.  (I had a huge box of them in my closet as a kid, so there were a lot.  Ridiculous, really [but one of the cats loved it; she used to sleep on top of them].  But I just picked one to sleep with each night, or some to play with, and then put them back - I never really decorated with them, so it's just a Me thing, not an age thing.)

The last time one of these "Women Over X Age Shouldn't Do/Have" lists came up in discussion, the list was littered with stuff like dead plants, worn-out shoes, and expired sunscreen.  Huh?  Shouldn't everyone toss that stuff?  Why just women, and only of a certain age?  (I know, because we live in a sexist and ageist society.  These clickbait articles are just so blatant about it!)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Mr Bear has been with me longer than Mr. Gunderson and both Kitties Gunderson, and isn't going anywhere. He's the perfect squishiness to prop my neck up when I read in bed. I also have a new Mr Bear - well, I've had him for 20+ years, just not ever used - waiting in the wings in case the original Mr Bear has an accident. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

What would be the point? Most men in those age brackets have wives who already made those decisions for them.

But to be serious for a second, we'd probably actually welcome lists like that if we're trying to figure out what we should be wearing as we get older. At some point, especially if you're on your own, somebody writing down what I should and shouldn't be wearing once I turn 50 might actually be helpful. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

What would be the point? Most men in those age brackets have wives who already made those decisions for them.

But to be serious for a second, we'd probably actually welcome lists like that if we're trying to figure out what we should be wearing as we get older. At some point, especially if you're on your own, somebody writing down what I should and shouldn't be wearing once I turn 50 might actually be helpful. 

No fedoras.  That's on the list. And no frat sweatshirts.  No shoes with holes in them.

• Love 3

I'm really OK with a man-bun in its necessity for dudes with long hair. As for the not-even-long haircut that is seemingly deliberate just so one can have a man-bun, feh, but I guess whatever floats your boat.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I feel like this has come up before, but I hate those lists of things that women over 30, 40, 50 shouldn't own.  I

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I picked up a Hamilton Beach electric kettle at Costco for less than $20 and it's fantastic. It has an auto shut off

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I wonder what "they" would say about my Rob Zombie Devil's Rejects blanket. Probably that a woman of my age shouldn't have been at a horror convention in the first pla

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Just found this one:

You mean to tell me that I should just unceremoniously trash the pink rabbit--my favorite thing as a child--that my dad gave me when I was one, making said rabbit (whose name is Paul!) at the very least 46 years old? Just envisioning doing that makes me so sad! So, yes, maybe I'm creepy...

but it's not for this!

"They" can pry my Star Wars summer couch throw, my Star Wars quilt on my guest bed / couch in the winter, my table top Frogger game, my hand-held Donkey Kong game and my Women of NASA legos, Ian Malcolm FUNKOs and the piggy bank my mom made me from my cold, dead hands. But if they come for Cuddles (my long loved teddy bear) or Otter (the twin of Pop that my BFF has) I will rise from the dead and cut a bitch.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm really OK with a man-bun in its necessity for dudes with long hair. As for the not-even-long haircut that is seemingly deliberate just so one can have a man-bun, feh, but I guess whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, as goofy as they can usually be, some long-haired fellas can really pull a man-bun off well. Jason Momoa comes to mind, along with a few other similarly burly, beefy male-model types...usually Slavic or Nordic-looking fellas can rock em. Occasionally a few skinny hipster types. But that’s a small percentage...otherwise, put the struggle man-buns and/or clip-on buns away!

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm envious of men who can make man-buns. I fail at the lady card since I can't get my hair into anything bun related, even with a bun making tool

My tattoo guy could pull his hair back into the neatest bun (not that on-top kind, just the standard ponytail twisted into submission) in about 5 seconds flat! I also can make a fast bun but it is not what anyone would call neat.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

yes, that must be the same one I've been seeing linked on several pages lately.  Apparently, once you hit 50 you're required to be a "proper lady" and be very concerned with superficial appearances and worry about what the queen would think if she were to stop by for a visit.  

What a job someone has, to have to write those lists!  

I get it, after a certain age, maybe booty shorts and body glitter aren't the best choices.  But the rest of it?  Hey, do what you want! 

=============================================================

the clip-on man bun is ridiculous.  It would be a funny joke though. 

It reminds me of a gift I got my dad when he hit 70 - or maybe 75. A baseball cap, with "Aging Hippie" written on the front, and a grey ponytail sticking out the back.   He wore it to a barbecue, and everyone thought he really had grown a ponytail.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5
On 7/22/2018 at 8:07 PM, Mindthinkr said:

When she changes what she is inclined to eat in the middle of a meal that means someone has to stop eating their dinner and go to the stove to redo with her new choice.

That wouldn't happen a second time - probably not even the first.  You don't like what you have and want something else?  You can fix it yourself or wait until we're done.

15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There is no law that says you have to make a full pot of coffee. I make about a cup and a half (what my travel mug holds) in my traditional coffee maker.

I've tried that, and it never seemed to work out right.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That wouldn't happen a second time - probably not even the first.  You don't like what you have and want something else?  You can fix it yourself or wait until we're done.

Yep!!! Special needs/autism or not, she at least needs to be taught proper manners and the patience to either wait for everyone else to finish their meals or to learn how to prepare herself another good food choice. Being constantly babied and catered to like that isn’t going to remotely benefit her overall well-being.

• Love 6

I got my son to eat broccoli by putting cheese on it.

A friend of mine loved broccoli with cheese sauce on it.  She called it 'Cheese and Trees' (I think it was the only green veggie she would eat). 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

A friend of mine loved broccoli with cheese sauce on it.  She called it 'Cheese and Trees' (I think it was the only green veggie she would eat). 

I just put a little grated cheddar and some butter. After a while I stopped putting the cheese on it. He didn't notice and ate it anyway. Boys, amirite? ;-)

• Love 2

I got my son to eat almost anything because he saw me eat it too and enjoying it, so he was eager to try :)

I honestly thought kids not liking veggies was a myth, until I met my nieces and nephews. Ouch. They made me realize that picky eating is far from being an urban legend.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NutMeg said:

I got my son to eat almost anything because he saw me eat it too and enjoying it, so he was eager to try :)

I honestly thought kids not liking veggies was a myth, until I met my nieces and nephews. Ouch. They made me realize that picky eating is far from being an urban legend.

I was a picky eater as a child one time my parents made me sit at table until I finished my milk (yeah, warm milk, not gonna happen) but they gave up. Another time my dad was making me eat scrapple, I said I would puke and he made me eat it any way. Sure enough, it came right back up. That was the end of forcing me to eat. I loved veggies, my friends always liked to have me over for dinner because I would eat all their vegetables. I still won't eat mayonnaise, clams, veal or lamb.

• Love 4
(edited)

Sometimes I think the "you'll eat what you're served" mentality toward kids is crap. I mean, I get making your kids try things, maybe even more than just one time, but if someone doesn't like something, maybe there's a chance that they legitimately do not like it--even if the someone is a little kid. I was picky too and while I do like things now that I, for whatever reason, wouldn't eat when I was little, I still do hate certain things the same way I did then. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was a picky eater as a child one time my parents made me sit at table until I finished my milk (yeah, warm milk, not gonna happen) but they gave up. Another time my dad was making me eat scrapple, I said I would puke and he made me eat it any way. Sure enough, it came right back up. That was the end of forcing me to eat. I loved veggies, my friends always liked to have me over for dinner because I would eat all their vegetables. I still won't eat mayonnaise, clams, veal or lamb.

I'm sorry you had to go through that :( 

Just to be sure, I never forced my child to eat anything. Because, as a child, I was never forced to eat anything, just asked to take one bite, and if I really didn't like it, I was free to skip it. Which I was and am still grateful for :) Can't imagine having to eat all of something that I really didn't like until I puked, ewwww... Among the things I didn't like as a child are zucchini and eggplant, which I'm quite ok with now, btw. I think it was the slimy texture rather than the taste that I disliked back then.

I'm actually with you regarding warm milk - I've always only liked mine ice cold, can't even drink room temperature milk. 

• Love 6
(edited)

It's a little odd on the face of it that so many picky kids like cheese. Even mild cheddar has a bit of sharpness and bite to it. Maybe it's a carry over from pizza.

My mother never served vegetables this way, but I used to make "gourmet" broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce well into my twenties. Until at some point it dawned on me that it wasn't even that tasty.

Decades-long peeve: Hair removal. My Italian heritage gifted me with an abundance of dark body hair, which I've tried to remove or disguise over the years with chemical depilatories, bleach, waxing, plucking, electrolysis, lasers, shaving, sugaring, and even that horrible Epilady. Once I hit menopause, my body hair started decreasing until I currently have almost none left on my arms and legs. Great, right? Except that the hair on my head has also thinned to the point that my scalp is on full display and I've grown a plentiful new crop of gray chin whiskers. Human physiology, I swear.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 10
(edited)
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Sometimes I think the "you'll eat what you're served" mentality toward kids is crap. I mean, I get making your kids try things, maybe even more than just one time, but if someone doesn't like something, maybe there's a chance that they legitimately do not like it--even if the someone is a little kid.

Yeah, that must be one of the many ways in which it's hard to hit on the right balance as a parent.  Because "I hate broccoli" and "I hate vegetables" are two different things.  The latter?  Too damn bad; you need vegetables as part of your diet (and, seriously, in the large variety of tastes falling under the category vegetable, you hate them all?).  The former?  Okay, then when we're having broccoli, you can skip the vegetable for one night.  It's the in-between where I'm sure it gets "fun."

I wasn't a picky eater (or was I not a picky eater because I wasn't allowed to be - it's a chicken/egg thing, I think), so it wasn't much of an issue when I was a kid.  My mom definitely was not making me something different, but I didn't necessarily have to eat everything that was served.  The things I well and truly hated, I was allowed to skip, and the stuff that I was just "aw, man, this?" about, I had to eat a little bit of.  For example, if we had pot roast, I had to eat some of the meat, but could skip the potatoes and carrots that were cooked with it, and that's when I'd just eat extra salad and veggies to fill me up.  And when my mom was making a main dish I didn't like, she'd make sure to combine it with a veggie I loved, and vice versa.  For example:  "We're having pot roast" would be followed by "and artichokes" before I could get my face too scrunched up about having to eat pot roast.  (My mom's favorite meal, and something I have not consumed once in adulthood [and never will, unless I have the misfortune to wind up a guest in the home of someone serving it - but I'm still skipping the potatoes at least].  I suspect a mix-up at the hospital.) 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

My sister only likes most veggies with cheese on it.  I think veggies and cheese are two foods that are meant to be enjoyed separately.  My sister only likes creamy peanut butter, I think peanut butter needs the crunchy.  There's something else we're opposite on, but I can't remember what it is.  I feel bad for my mom. Well, not so much any more, because we're rarely in the same place for a meal, but growing up.   My poor mom.

• Love 3