Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Time for my annual summer rant.  I've been seeing babies and toddlers out there in the hot sun without any hats on, once again.  Have hats for little ones gone out of fashion? Do parents not realize the damage the sun can do to their skin?  I notice, per usual, parents pushing strollers with no hats on the kids but the parents sure do have their baseball caps and sunglasses on.  Now I'm trying to remember the last time I saw little kids with sun hats on. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Now I'm trying to remember the last time I saw little kids with sun hats on. 

My niece had a baby last summer and came to a family barbecue with a 5 day old baby and sat outside in the hot July sun with that baby.  No sun hat, no sun screen.  Nada.  I wanted to say something but I knew it would not be appreciated.  This was her 3rd child BTW so no excuse.  

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 3

Work pet peeve here--emailing a coworker to ask a question that could be answered by Googling the result (or in this case search Amazon's website) faster than the email you chose to send. Now I have to take time to craft a response that would pass muster if my boss were to see it. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Now I have to take time to craft a response that would pass muster if my boss were to see it. 

I hear you.  I once got called on the carpet because my boss decided my reply to yet another inane email from HR was too terse.  Which it was, but I had been called on the carpet earlier because he felt an email I sent to that same person was "too wordy".  This was when I was young and in my first professional level job and was still trying to please the boss.  It was a good learning experience to find that sometimes this is never going to happen.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I hear you.  I once got called on the carpet because my boss decided my reply to yet another inane email from HR was too terse.  Which it was, but I had been called on the carpet earlier because he felt an email I sent to that same person was "too wordy".  This was when I was young and in my first professional level job and was still trying to please the boss.  It was a good learning experience to find that sometimes this is never going to happen.

My problem is my boss and his opinions on the various staff members myself included. The employees who were already on staff when he became our boss are held to a different standard than those like me who were hired after him. The employees like the manager of the person who emailed me can get away with just about anything while I have to always be the better person. The manager in question would not hesitate to go to him and complain if I had answered that email the way I wanted to respond, and I don't know if my boss would intervene. He's officially retiring at the end of the year, but he's been checked out since March. I'm also probably make a mountain out of a molehill here. It really is just me feeling like my time is not being respected by yet another co-worker. And, the email the person sent showed they are capable of doing the research. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 2

Has anyone else just about had it with Facebook?  Between suggested "friends" who I have no idea how we are connected to the constant barrage of suggested groups or pages they want me to start following I am seeing almost nothing that friends may actually post that I would actually want on my wall or feed or whatever it's called.

Do they want people to start leaving?  Because that's about to happen with me 😠

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
36 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Has anyone else just about had it with Facebook?  Between suggested "friends" who I have no idea how we are connected to the constant barrage of suggested groups or pages they want me to start following I am seeing almost nothing that friends may actually post that I would actually want on my wall or feed or whatever it's called.

I really only go on to go on a group for a parenting podcast I listen to (to get parenting tips)!  

(edited)

I am usually really careful with things like my ID, but I didn’t put it right in my purse, when I got my new one in April. I left it in the envelope, or with it, on the table next to my computer, and left it there. dad started to clean up that table, a couple of months ago, I asked him not to, because I had important things there, but he knew better, and he threw it away.  I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.  

So, I’ve been going through the verification process online, over and over.  Found an old ID to scan a bar code.  Took a photo of the print of my ID that was given to me to use temporarily. Took a selfie, sent that.  All apparently successful, BUT they still can’t confirm that it’s me, for some reason. I’ve done everything except magically produce a first-born for them, or give blood.  I go to try once more, wondering if it’s because there’s no place to put my middle initial, that’s included on my ID, and I’m told I can’t try more than three times in twenty-four hours. They’re also closed now. I’ve also lost my purse, in this house. Hopefully, that wasn’t thrown away.

where’s that screaming gif?

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 5
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I really only go on to go on a group for a parenting podcast I listen to (to get parenting tips)!  

You remind me of what I do like about Facebook and that is the groups that I belong to there.  I've got 3 that I participate in and I would really miss them if I left FB.  One is pretty quiet and I suspect it's on life support right now but the other two are quite active.  I guess the solution for me, for now, is to ignore my wall and just go straight to messenger and my groups and stop wasting my time blocking crap,  it's like the Hydra, you cut off one head and two more grow back!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 7/14/2024 at 1:10 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I hate it when I can't think of a comeback at the moment I need it.

I was reading a profile of RuPaul in The New Yorker the other day, and he said that when someone asks him how he's doing, his standard response is, "I don't see how that's any of your business."  Snort.

And being the due diligencer that I am, I was verifying that the quote was correct.  It is, but checking it led me to something I'd actually seen on TV when it aired and I'd forgotten about it--RuPaul on The Graham Norton Show talking about his stable of comebacks.  Your dressing room situation?  Any of them would have been perfect.

(Ignore the two popups that show up (whyyyyyyyyyyy?); they'll disappear pretty quickly.)  (ETA: I watched the clip again and there were no popups.  Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?)

And Graham's comment at the end of the segment had me laughing so hard Mr. Outlier came out of the other room to see if I was laughing or crying.  I'm definitely using that one. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • LOL 5
15 hours ago, Dimity said:

I go through these suggested "friends" & click "block" whenever a bunch of them show up. I also "x" the people you may know. Such an intrusive PITA. Why is FB doing this? How do we complain...is there a way to contact TPTB???

• Applause 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I go through these suggested "friends" & click "block" whenever a bunch of them show up. I also "x" the people you may know. Such an intrusive PITA. Why is FB doing this? How do we complain...is there a way to contact TPTB???

Facebook has always had the "people you may know" feature. It's probably one of the only things that was found on the original FB from back in 2006 that is still there today. I think you can opt out of it if you access FB from a desktop and not the app. It does have value for a limited number of users, so they've kept it. 

Edited by Ohiopirate02
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Facebook has always had the "people you may know" feature. It's probably one of the only things that was found on the original FB from back in 2006 that is still there today. I think you can opt out of it if you access FB from a desktop and not the app. It does have value for a limited number of users, so they've kept it. 

Back in 2013 I met a man on a dating site. We hadn't met in person yet and he didn't know my last name.  He texted me and referred to a pic I had on my FB.  I asked him how he found me on FB and he said I popped up as a person you may know.  At some point I figured out FB gets some of the people you know from your phone contact list because I have seen people in my contact list pop up.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Facebook has always had the "people you may know" feature

What I've been noticing lately is that some of those "people you may know" are the trolls that infest FB.  Those bots (?) that pop up under a friend's post and say crap like "I really like the way you express yourself and would like to friend you but don't want to be rude, if you would like to friend me I'd appreciate it...blah blah blah".  Ugh.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Pet peeve: Summer weather in parts of New England, especially Connecticut. It's much hotter and more humid here than people from other areas might think in the inland areas. Why our highs are as hot as Dallas in the Summer really burns me in more ways than one! And I'm not the only person that thinks the humidity is worse here than it seems like it should be. Ever since I moved here decades ago this has always mystified me despite learning about jet streams, etc., and thanks to the internet I know I'm far from the only person to feel this way.

Of course people down South think their Summers are far worse than ours, but I've been all over the country and down South in the Summer many times and I beg to differ. Our Summers up near me are as bad, maybe not as long, but as bad, especially during July and August.

I just feel like we get the worst of everything weather-wise and not enough of the best. At least Florida makes up for its oppressive Summers with beautiful weather at other times. OK we're not in tornado alley in CT but we have had our share of tornadoes and destructive storms recently so that may be changing with climate change. And it's getting so that there are only a few weeks a year with anything like comfortable weather.

Anyway, just my peeve-du-jour!

• Sad 3
12 minutes ago, Dimity said:

What I've been noticing lately is that some of those "people you may know" are the trolls that infest FB.  Those bots (?) that pop up under a friend's post and say crap like "I really like the way you express yourself and would like to friend you but don't want to be rude, if you would like to friend me I'd appreciate it...blah blah blah".  Ugh.

There is a new set of trolls that tag people and say they have video of some accident. They will usually comment under an actual news story about an accident. 

Speaking of tagging people I have a cousin I don't like and rarely speak to.  A few years ago her father was in the hospital and she tagged me in a DM with a bunch of other people to give updates on her dad.  Everyone was commenting and I wasn't because like I said I don't like her.  She called my mother and complained.  So my pet peeve is being brought into a conversation I didn't ask to be part of then criticized for not being part of the conversation. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 5
27 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I've gotten a bunch of those, usually from "men". I once did a "search image with Google" on one of them and found out that it was a photo of a deceased Army officer. So yeah, I'm thinking they're bots. A male friend got taken in by one of those. He's in local government so a lot of residents of his town try to friend him. I somehow got a message that he recently became friends with a certain person and when I checked out her Facebook page it looked suspicious, so I told him about it and he agreed and removed her.

8 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

There is a new set of trolls that tag people and say they have video of some accident. They will usually comment under an actual news story about an accident. 

I was looking at an old HS classmate's FB page that never posts and saw that some random person had posted on their wall that they died in a car accident and provided a link, which I was suspicious of and didn't lead anywhere. I tried finding out if there was any truth to it but never did. I wrote to the classmate privately but got no response. That doesn't mean anything because a lot of people I know have abandoned their FB pages over the years. I never found anything online to indicate whether the person was alive or dead, which is also strange. I am still skeptical about that post. It just looked off. I posted on our HS class's Facebook page about it but no one seems to know anything about what became of this person. It's still a mystery.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Is anyone else infested with bugs? We just had our pest service guy here, on a call- back, to spray our upstairs for silverfish. They're mostly falling out of a vent in my bathroom. Three times they were on me while I was in bed (they bite, not hard but enough to get your attention 🤬). And for the first time, living in this house since 2000, we haven't had any ants (knock on wood) in the kitchen. Odd but I'll take it. Our poor pest service guy is working almost 12 hours days. I told him to be sure to each lunch (after he said he didn't have time). It's 100° here, yesterday & today, with high humidity.  The company has been inundated with calls for help. So...why were silverfish created? What is their purpose on this planet (other than to drive me crazy)? Years ago, when I lived in Raleigh, they ruined an expensive winter coat (that I was so pleased to have found on a big sale). They'd munched their way around the shoulders & left tracks (like tiny ski trails) 😫

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

At some point I figured out FB gets some of the people you know from your phone contact list because I have seen people in my contact list pop up.  

I discovered this as well and it proved useful on more than one occasion. After finding the FB of one guy who was supposedly divorced, I could see recent posts with his wife. I blocked him immediately. Another guy had a bunch of misogynistic and racist memes on his FB, blocked him as well. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I attract strange people in my neighborhood. I can’t avoid them either. They are basically energy vampires!

Even in public people approach me and start yakking. Do I look friendly or something???

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Even in public people approach me and start yakking. Do I look friendly or something???

This happens to us a lot, I assumed it was part of small town living.   

Yesterday took the biscuit though, some guy commented on an item my husband was looking at in the produce section of the grocery store and my poor husband got yakked at for what seemed like hours (but was probably about 5 minutes) all about how this guy has owned a food truck for the last 20 years and yada yada yada - I took the cowards way out and wandered off. 

Anyway as we're in the check out line we can hear the guy, who has cornered some other poor schnook, and he's talking about all his years in the entertainment industry.  Liars really need to either keep their voices down in public or keep their lies straight for at least an hour or two!  

• LOL 8
31 minutes ago, Dimity said:

This happens to us a lot, I assumed it was part of small town living.   

Yesterday took the biscuit though, some guy commented on an item my husband was looking at in the produce section of the grocery store and my poor husband got yakked at for what seemed like hours (but was probably about 5 minutes) all about how this guy has owned a food truck for the last 20 years and yada yada yada - I took the cowards way out and wandered off. 

Anyway as we're in the check out line we can hear the guy, who has cornered some other poor schnook, and he's talking about all his years in the entertainment industry.  Liars really need to either keep their voices down in public or keep their lies straight for at least an hour or two!  

That’s another issue I attract such liars! Lol. 

@Yeah No I was just saying (maybe whining 😁) last night about how nice it is in the summer in NYS & CT, remembering my growing up years. My husband said the weather there has changed (he only knows this from our visits to friends in CT in the summer). True. It was very humid, something we didn't endure back in the day. I never experienced mega humidity until I moved south. Haven't been to CT since Oct '21, so how's the foliage? I hope that hasn't been harmed by climate change. There's nothing like a crisp fall day in NY & New England and all those spectacular colors.

• Like 2

I'm getting notifications all over the place "It's Amazon Prime day, item XYZ is now 99% off".  So I click the links for any product that interests me, and it turns out that, if it is even available in Canada, it is nowhere near that price.    I understand the price in Canadian dollars must be different, but the item isn't even marked down on the Canadian site.  Many times is exponentially more expensive than the US site.  

Maybe it's a sign I need to stop shopping? 

• Wink 1
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

@Yeah No I was just saying (maybe whining 😁) last night about how nice it is in the summer in NYS & CT, remembering my growing up years. My husband said the weather there has changed (he only knows this from our visits to friends in CT in the summer). True. It was very humid, something we didn't endure back in the day. I never experienced mega humidity until I moved south. Haven't been to CT since Oct '21, so how's the foliage? I hope that hasn't been harmed by climate change. There's nothing like a crisp fall day in NY & New England and all those spectacular colors.

You're right, our weather used to be better. It's getting so that there are only a few weeks in the Spring and Fall that have anything like nice weather anymore. The weather is actually significantly nicer at the shoreline now. In the past several years they started doing 2 weather reports on local TV news for the shoreline and the "inland areas". It's like we have two climates now. There was always a little bit of a temperature difference but it's getting more pronounced, and not in the right direction for those of us living in the "inland areas".

We also have the "hills" area in the Northwest part of the state which is often a few degrees cooler than where I live. It seems to be the most blazing hot right in the Hartford area for some reason. It sucks.

What really bugs me is that the weather people are always promising us that the heat's going to break in a few days but it never does or if it does it only lasts one day!

The foliage hasn't been as nice as it used to be either. We did have one really spectacular year a few years ago but other than that it's been just a little more disappointing in the past several years or so.  Most people probably wouldn't notice it, though, but last season was so disappointing everyone was talking about it.

Although I do think other areas in the Northeast have their issues too. I notice there have been very strong, damaging storms in New York State to our West that we haven't experienced. They seem to get weaker as they get here or go to our North into Massachusetts.

• Sad 1

I notice a lot of articles and comments about how use before dates are guidelines at best and not to worry about them but, a word of caution, they aren't talking about meat!  I had bought some chicken the other day and when I took it out of the fridge earlier I noted that the use before date was the 16th.  I wasn't worried although I did think the colour was a bit off. Then I opened the package.  Ewww.  $17 worth of meat just went into the garbage.  Great start to the day.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 2
23 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I attract strange people in my neighborhood. I can’t avoid them either. They are basically energy vampires!

I know exactly what you mean.

I have the same phrase written on my forehead 😂

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 7/16/2024 at 8:55 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Is anyone else infested with bugs? We just had our pest service guy here, on a call- back, to spray our upstairs for silverfish. They're mostly falling out of a vent in my bathroom. Three times they were on me while I was in bed (they bite, not hard but enough to get your attention 🤬). 

Silverfish don't bite, unless you have some kind of mutant where you live?

11 hours ago, Dimity said:

I notice a lot of articles and comments about how use before dates are guidelines at best and not to worry about them but, a word of caution, they aren't talking about meat!  I had bought some chicken the other day and when I took it out of the fridge earlier I noted that the use before date was the 16th.  I wasn't worried although I did think the colour was a bit off. Then I opened the package.  Ewww.  $17 worth of meat just went into the garbage.  Great start to the day.

"Use before" and "best before" are not the same thing.  I rarely eat meat, but if I do, I'm definitely cooking it before the "use by" date.  A piece of candy, that I'll eat well after the "best by" date.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I rarely eat meat, but if I do, I'm definitely cooking it before the "use by" date. 

I usually put it in the freezer if I'm not going to cook it that week, but if I do leave meat in the refrigerator past the "use by" date, I'll still cook it so long as it looks, smells, and feels normal, and eat it so long as it tastes right.  Most things have been good to go past the date, but I've had to toss a few, which is why I became pretty diligent about not losing track of meat in the refrigerator, letting it get hidden by other things and then forgetting about it so that it doesn't get frozen or cooked in time.  It is incredibly annoying to throw away food (and money) like that.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Silverfish don't bite, unless you have some kind of mutant where you live?

That's what my husband said. So I told the pest service guy and he agreed with me. They *do* bite. But it doesn't leave a welt or draw blood. It's enough to make you look around ("What the hey?") & that's when you see one of these disgusting insects on your skin. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Speaking of insects - tonight, in the course of the last half hour, I found an earwig that had somehow managed to get into a plastic container of croissants and was tromping all over them  Eww.  Then I go to sit down and feel something on my arm, look and it's a giant ant crawling along looking like an escapee from Chernobyl.  Eww.  God, I hate summer.

• Like 7
On 7/17/2024 at 2:32 PM, Ancaster said:

"Use before" and "best before" are not the same thing.  I rarely eat meat, but if I do, I'm definitely cooking it before the "use by" date.  A piece of candy, that I'll eat well after the "best by" date.

I find the Still Tasty website useful for checking on things like this  I never buy meat anymore - when I first came to the city to go to art school I realized in a hurry that it was one of those things I didn't want to bother cooking and now I almost never eat it - however for dairy items and such I find that site useful with their recommendations for how long things will keep in the fridge, etc.

• Useful 4

Why to restaurants insist on taking takeout orders if they're too swamped to do so?  We ordered from a nearby place today and wanted it delivered.  I ordered shortly after 12 and by 1:15, still wasn't assigned a delivery person.  I called the place and they told me the order was nearly ready and we switched to pickup.  At least we saved some money?  Still, they should have closed to further delivery orders if they knew they couldn't take any.

• Like 5
  • Angry 2
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Still, they should have closed to further delivery orders if they knew they couldn't take any.

A few years ago we ordered from a local place that was usually reliable, they had told us "oh maybe half hour" for the delivery, anyway  two hours go by and still no sign of anyone and we can't get through to them by phone so we drove over. 

The person behind the counter was very apologetic, to us and the others who were in there waiting for their food and kept saying "just a few more minutes" to anyone who came up.  So the phone rings, she answers, takes the order and tells the person at the other end "oh maybe half hour" for delivery!  At that point we walked out.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

A few years ago we ordered from a local place that was usually reliable, they had told us "oh maybe half hour" for the delivery, anyway  two hours go by and still no sign of anyone and we can't get through to them by phone so we drove over. 

The person behind the counter was very apologetic, to us and the others who were in there waiting for their food and kept saying "just a few more minutes" to anyone who came up.  So the phone rings, she answers, takes the order and tells the person at the other end "oh maybe half hour" for delivery!  At that point we walked out.

They probably just wanted the money.  They were really apologetic and we got free pastries out of it.  However, eating at 1:45 pm was not fun when one ordered at 12:05.  And really, who would order from them again if it's going to take that long?  I'm wondering if I should send them an angry email or not.

Edited by PRgal
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

They probably just wanted the money.  They were really apologetic and we got free pastries out of it.  However, eating at 1:45 pm was not fun when one ordered at 12:05.  And really, who would order from them again if it's going to take that long?  I'm wondering if I should send them an angry email or not.

I would simply never patronize them again, and post a review on Yelp saying exactly why, thus sparing other people your unfortunate experience.

• Like 7

Pet Peeve?  The increasing prevalence of "mare" for "nightmare" on chat boards.  It strikes me as lazy and every time I see it I think of female horses so have to rearrange my brain.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 1
On 7/16/2024 at 7:12 PM, SoMuchTV said:

It kind of seems like people who don’t live there are telling people who live there that they’re saying it wrong. But I’m just trying to stay out of the window washing debate so maybe I’m overthinking this. 

hey, Nevada Nevada, right?

Montana Montana

(edited)

People who are rude about things that were donated or rude to volunteer workers.

I’m working at my church picnic this weekend and have been helping at the bake sale. The baked goods are made by church members and donated by local businesses. Unfortunately it’s also 80-85 degrees this weekend and we have cupcakes so the icing on them doesn’t exactly look like Magnolia Bakery or something out of the Cake Boss show. Anyway tonight I was struggling to close a container for someone who wanted a cupcake and some icing came off. She got snooty and said she didn’t want it and made me get her another one. Then it happened with a different girl (who was also yelling at me while my back was turned putting money in our lock box) and when the icing fell off the cupcake she said “that’s gross I don’t want that.” I was so hurt that someone would be so ignorant as to tell someone who is volunteering for their church and hustling in warm weather that the food is disgusting. I already put up with enough abuse at work from customers; I don’t need it from snobs at a church picnic.

My mom and stepdad run a food stand too and they see some of the same behavior. People come to her stand and nitpick and make all these demands and complain like they’re at a Michelin star restaurant instead of an outdoor event with wimpies, pizza, hot dogs, pierogies, etc. on the menu. 

Look. You don’t like the food? You want it your way? Go to a grocery store bakery or a specialty bakery with $6 cupcakes that are perfectly chilled indoors. And also, we have Subway, Burger King, McDonald’s and KFC right down the road. We are not it if you want a gourmet dining experience and a menu especially catered to your fussiness.  I really don’t understand why someone would come to a volunteer-run event only to complain about everything and act uppity. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Angry 6
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

How is Montana pronounced two different ways? Actually, now that my attention has been drawn to the spelling, it really should have two "n"s ☺️

That's a new one on me too. I found this video on YouTube which has both a US and UK pronunciation but I've listened to both several times and don't find much if any difference between them.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

That's a new one on me too. I found this video on YouTube which has both a US and UK pronunciation but I've listened to both several times and don't find much if any difference between them.

The UK one sounds like "mawntanna". Not so different. I say "Nevahda" as there's only one "d" (never thought about Montana having only one "n", for some reason). We looked at the Reno/Lake Tahoe/Sparks area as a potential retirement place. Good thing we stayed put in the east.  I'd have probably gotten into some fisticuffs with the natives over my pronunciations 😆.

• Like 1
(edited)

My dad found my ID card. He’d moved it, not thrown it away, and I don’t know what it was with, but we found it when my cat pooped on it. 🥴

I thanked him, and apologized for thinking he’d chucked it. we’ve both been “off” for a while. Feeling brain-broken.

I have so much to do today, and I’ve barely slept, for days.  

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 9
37 minutes ago, Anela said:

but we found it when my cat pooped on it.

You made me choke on my water, I need the whole story on this! 😂

• LOL 6
6 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

You made me choke on my water, I need the whole story on this! 😂

One of my cats has been pooping everywhere. But mainly on my books. If they're on the floor, or the coffee table in the living room, they're in danger. I thought he'd stopped, when we moved a litter tray next to the table, but he's still targeting some things. 

My dad must have put the letter with my ID on it, inside a book. He's the one who found it, after seeing my cat had messed on something again. 

• Hugs 3
  • Useful 2

Family who want to chat while you’re busy working.

I was at my grocery store job on Saturday and my dad and grandmother came through my line. It’s an across the board rule at grocery stores that you can’t ring out your family, so I explained this to them and they left briefly. Then my grandmother decides to come back to my line and wants to chat it up about how’s it going, do I like the tablecloth she bought me, why don’t I have it on my table right now…like Grandma, I love you, but do we really need to discuss this now? When I’m at work at a grocery store on a Saturday? I actually felt a little embarrassed lol even though no one I work with really noticed.

My mom shops at the grocery store I work at but thankfully if she notices I’m busy ringing other people out, she stays away and doesn’t bother me. My mom may be annoying in some ways but I appreciate that she has enough awareness to not chat me up while I’m working. 

• Like 7
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The UK one sounds like "mawntanna". Not so different. I say "Nevahda" as there's only one "d" (never thought about Montana having only one "n", for some reason). We looked at the Reno/Lake Tahoe/Sparks area as a potential retirement place. Good thing we stayed put in the east.  I'd have probably gotten into some fisticuffs with the natives over my pronunciations 😆.

I live in Montana and the American pronunciation is definitely how we say the name. The UK version is  just slightly different ,exactly as you say @annzeepark914,   "mawn" instead of "mon".  I don't hear the extra "n" at the end. I'll have to listen again.  Regardless it is a very small difference in sound.

• Like 2

I bought a new refrigerator to replace my old one which was still working great, but I bought it 40 years ago and it was costing me $200+ a month in electrical charges.  So, I trot off to the store, pick out a nice Energy * model in stainless steel with french doors and freezer on the bottom.  It gets installed no problem.

Peeve?  My refrigerator magnets don't work!  They work on the sides but not on the front.  I have so many refrigerator magnets!  Why didn't somebody warn me?

In addition, because of the french doors, there are giant hinges on the top that take up half the storage space.  It's like a great leap backwards.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Crazy question: Can you return it? I'd be bereft if I couldn't stick things all over my fridge, which is why I brought a little magnet with me when we went shopping for the last one. I'd read that some stainless steel is made with a higher percentage of nickel, which screws with its magnetic power.

Another option is to attach a magnetic whiteboard or something similar to the fridge with Velcro or Command strips and put all the magnets on that.

You have my sympathies.

• Like 7