Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Woot! I never win. Excellent!

I had to bail on Outlander when the same character faced the third rape (attempt) in one season. It was just too much for me. Had some sizzling chemistry though, and I was sorry to let it go. Otoh, the flogging was also extremely hard to take. Mixed bag. Gather the books wouldn't have made me happier either. I do not enjoy watching television peering out from between my fingers. And you certainly can't read and cover your eyes at the same time, so that's a problem.

If shows could just combine the emotional equivalent of looking at pictures of fluffy puppies and kittens with a mystery, I'd probably be all over it. Actually, come to think of it, a recent episode of Limitless did just that, and was a couple orders of magnitude more pleasant to watch than your average episode of Law &Order SVU, which generally leaves me devoid of hope in its wake. They basically replaced all mentions of "rape" with the word "hug." I spent two minutes mortally offended on principle that they did that, and then enjoyed it so much more than I would have otherwise. Also, I think they actually showed kittens instead of the usual gnarliness. Finally, somebody gets me! Of course, that should guarantee them cancellation. *sigh*

• Love 1

I had to bail on Outlander when the same character faced the third rape (attempt) in one season. It was just too much for me. Had some sizzling chemistry though, and I was sorry to let it go. Otoh, the flogging was also extremely hard to take. Mixed bag. Gather the books wouldn't have made me happier either. I do not enjoy watching television peering out from between my fingers. And you certainly can't read and cover your eyes at the same time, so that's a problem.

I find books easier because I don't have to actually see the bad things in all their goriness. I might imagine it, but to me it's still better than someone actually showing me blood and guts. I generally find the people doing the showing put a lot more in than was in my imagination.

• Love 3

Hmmm, my apologies then! It sounded just like the GoT schtick! Haha, I was really fooled! But maybe I sensed something GoT because your last sentence shows that you are an Unsullied...

And serious question: Are there really more series, besides GoT, that pit book readers vs non readers in the discussions? I just find that way to much work to put up with when watching a show. If I was going to be that unspoiled, I would just watch the show and never discuss it anywhere.

Oh, you have nooo idea!  I wasn't really a true Unsullied; I'd read the first couple of books 20 years ago, before the series premiered last year, and only remembered snippets.  So I wasn't tearing my hair out because Jamie (yes, the main hero's name is Jamie and Sam Heughan is just scrumptious) isn't six and a half feet tall like the books, among other things.  I liked the series actually, though I have my own issues with it.  After the season ended, this past summer, I went back and read all the books to date and raved, ranted, bitched, and complained about them in the book threads. Most of my ranting/complaining has to do with the Author and how she sucks at writing, though the world she's created is a good one. If that makes any sense, heh.

• Love 1

And serious question: Are there really more series, besides GoT, that pit book readers vs non readers in the discussions? I just find that way to much work to put up with when watching a show. If I was going to be that unspoiled, I would just watch the show and never discuss it anywhere.

I'm not sure if people are pitted against each other, but I'm watching three current shows: 11.22.63, The Magicians, and The Shannara Chronicles. I just saw a short post in one of those non-book threads that twice used the phrase "in the book." I haven't read any of the books and being repeatedly spoiled or led astray, depending on how closely the TV show will adhere to the book, is bringing out my petulant side. But the mods are good about removing the "in the book" posts fairly quickly.

In the end, all book talk is off topic in TV show threads.

Why do people take perfectly good furniture -- or even not-quite-so-good furniture that just needs refinishing -- and paint it so that it looks like it's been stored in a barn for 50 years? I'm in one of those beg, barter, buy, sell Facebook groups, and there are one or two people in there who buy furniture and then resell it as refinished rustic whatever. It looks like it was once painted white and then left out in the weather for several years until half of the paint came off in the sun, wind and rain. It looks awful. These people must also have gotten a great deal on turquoise paint because they keep doing these rustic furniture refinishing jobs in turquoise. Some of the furniture started out looking like quite nice antiques, which I know because I saw them for sale in the group in their original condition. If I'd had enough money (and enough room), I would have bought some of the pieces -- partly because I really like them and partly to save them from these refinishers.

I'm getting old. I feel about this furniture the way my mother felt about new ripped jeans in the 80s. I'm not spending money to buy something that looks like it's been used badly for years.

And of course, the sellers market the furniture as antique, which some of the pieces technically are, but they're not worth anything as antiques any more because these people have ruined them.

• Love 5

My joke in making my post was that I was certain you were all talking about Game of Thrones  ( I forgot about Outlander) and deliberately trying to come up with  other  series I was pretty sure were not the one you all meant. BTW it doesn't come up that much here but on most other sites ANY show based on a comic book will have fighting  about book vs. adaptation that dwarfs anything here including Game of Thrones.  Comic book people will get angrier about deviations from The Comics Canon than literary people do about deviations from Shakespeare or any other big name you can think of.

I feel about this furniture the way my mother felt about new ripped jeans in the 80s.

Ha!  Yes!  I heard plenty of, “You want me to spend how much for clothes that look like rags?” as an ‘80s teen.  And, oh my stars, when I took scissors and razors to my jeans or cut the necks out of my sweatshirts (Flashdance, baby, but I still do this -- it's just more comfortable) …

My peeve with “distressing” things is hardwood floors – dragging chains and bricks across them to make them look “weathered” and “rustic” makes me cringe.

Edited by Bastet

I find books easier because I don't have to actually see the bad things in all their goriness. I might imagine it, but to me it's still better than someone actually showing me blood and guts. I generally find the people doing the showing put a lot more in than was in my imagination.

That's why, when I tried the BBC series called All Creatures Great and Small with Christopher Timothy and Robert Hardy (that series being based on James Herriot's books), I found it very hard to get into. The books are far easier to enjoy because I don't have to see everything in such graphic detail. 

BTW it doesn't come up that much here but on most other sites ANY show based on a comic book will have fighting  about book vs. adaptation that dwarfs anything here including Game of Thrones.  Comic book people will get angrier about deviations from The Comics Canon than literary people do about deviations from Shakespeare or any other big name you can think of.

The fact that there are comic cons says all you need to know.  I admit finding it highly amusing when the diehards get into a snit when a show deviates from the comic bible.

My peeve with “distressing” things is hardwood floors – dragging chains and bricks across them to make them look “weathered” and “rustic” makes me cringe.

I can't decide if these folks would get mad if the kids or dogs tracked in mud and dirt on their precious floors - wouldn't that make it appear more authentic?  Why not just serve peanuts and throw the shells on the floor?

I can see painting/re-staining/distressing low end bland stuff to give it more character.  I can't see doing that to more expensive pieces (regardless of what you paid for them).

Peeve - I hate when someone makes a typo and another poster "corrects" them without some effort at humor.  It just comes a cross as snotty and superior.

• Love 4

Peeve - I hate when someone makes a typo and another poster "corrects" them without some effort at humor.  It just comes a cross as snotty and superior.

That reminds me of my peeve.  When people quote a post, change one word, then say, "Fixed that for you."  Sometimes it's intended to be humorous, sometimes serious.  But it always seems obnoxious to me.

• Love 2

When Passion othe Christ and Pirates othe Caribbean were out around the same time, reading threads with acronyms was rather entertaining!  I guess I can understand using abbreviations if you're texting on a phone or other small device but if you actually have a keyboard, use your words.

That reminds me of my peeve.  When people quote a post, change one word, then say, "Fixed that for you."  Sometimes it's intended to be humorous, sometimes serious.  But it always seems obnoxious to me.

I don't do that, and I agree that it's obnoxious, but as a grammar nerd (snob? Nazi? -- you pick), I can understand. Seeing a grammar or factual error in a post bothers me a little. But some of them irritate me like nails on a chalkboard. (e.g. 'I literally lose my lunch whenever I hear something about a Kardashian.' or 'As for me, myself, I just don't understand why so many people like Game of Thrones.')

I could kind of understand if it was to fix a typo or something like that, but sometimes, it's more like shorthand for "I disagree with you, but instead of actually explaining why, I'm going to change what I think is wrong about your post".  Those are the truly obnoxious ones to me.

• Love 2

I can pretty much roll with minor typos and grammatical errors, but it always annoys me when people misspell the names of characters/contestants. Look it up if you're not sure! Or, you know, pay attention to the thread title that has the name spelled correctly.

There's probably also a research study in there about why so many people type "Jamie" as "Jaime".

• Love 1

I can pretty much roll with minor typos and grammatical errors, but it always annoys me when people misspell the names of characters/contestants. Look it up if you're not sure! Or, you know, pay attention to the thread title that has the name spelled correctly.

There's probably also a research study in there about why so many people type "Jamie" as "Jaime".

I don't know what show you're talking about, but aren't both valid spellings?

• Love 1

forumfish,

Your pet peeve re your sister and mother brought to mind one I discovered  having to deal with handicapped friends and relatives: wheelchair ramps. Why do so many of them go up at too steep inclines for anyone to safely push the wheelchair up (or keep it from breaking away when exiting down) AND have too sharp angles to be able to effectively turn a heavy wheelchair? I know that things have improved from the days when few buildings outside hospitals had them at all but they don't seem to consider how cumbersome pushing a wheelchair of someone outweighing a helper can be!

• Love 2

I hate that all the televised awards shows use the term "and the award goes to..."  I miss "and the winner is".  If the name they announce isn't yours, you lost.  Deal.

I also miss when the presenters actually had to read the nominees rather than cutting away to some anonymous announcer.

Finally, if you can perform Shakespeare in the Park, you should be able to deliver a two line introduction without relying on a teleprompter and make me believe you're speaking extemporaneiously. 

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 5

I wish sick people who CAN stay home from work WOULD stay home from work, so they don't bring their germs in and give me the cold I now have. I'm looking at YOU, boss.

I agree, and it's a shame that staff often get punished, subtly or overtly, for taking sick leave. My company has an "acceptable" level of sick time and just prior to annual evaluations, I get a report of anyone who exceeded it (along with excessive time taken for professional appointments). It's one of the factors used to justify lower review scores and thus raises and bonuses.

• Love 1

My boss can make his own schedule. He can work from home when he or his family members are sick. He CHOOSES to come to work and contaminate everyone. However, I've been oddly told I'm "not working" if I'm sick at home and working from home. (That's just my dumb boss being dumb.) I don't have a choice. I either take an actual sick day and get the blowback from it, or come to work sick. ::sighing::

• Love 1

The boss man is just setting an example to show the rest of the slackers and crybabies, you know who you are, how a committed employee toughs it out and pushes through!

Cause you know his cold or flu is sooooooo much worse than everyone else's.

• Love 1

I wish sick people who CAN stay home from work WOULD stay home from work, so they don't bring their germs in and give me the cold I now have. I'm looking at YOU, boss.

In my experience, people who come to work sick fall into one of two categories: (1) they are not in a position to take time off (no sick pay, asshat manager, etc.) or (2) they have a serious case of inflated ego (the entire universe will crumble if I am not in the office). I suspect your boss falls into category 2. One of the many reasons I am thrilled to be telecommuting full-time is that I no longer have to be exposed to the germs of those people who come to work when sick.

My company has a fairly reasonable policy on sick days. All of our paid time off (PTO) is lumped together with no differentiation between sick days or vacation days, etc. They do have certain guidelines in place about the amount of unplanned PTO versus planned PTO, but it's reasonable. They understandably want to discourage people from calling in sick on an ongoing basis, especially if there is a pattern to the sick days, such as mostly Mondays or right before/after holidays, when other people have already planned to be out of the office and things might be short-staffed. However, the manager has some discretion. I don't get sick often, but about once or twice a  year I will have an upper respiratory infection that knocks me out for two or three days at a time. When that happens, the first day of being out is classified as unplanned PTO, but I can go into the system and put in a request for the next day or two, and so that is counted as planned PTO. In addition, they strongly discourage people from coming to work sick with anything that might be contagious. So, I have seen a manager tell someone who is visibly ill (lots of coughing/sneezing, looking feverish, etc.) to go home so the illness doesn't spread.

• Love 1

I have about the same arrangement, BookWoman56 - thirty days a year to use as vacation, sick and holidays.  It's weird, because I can work minor holidays (like Presidents' Day) and take an additional day somewhere else, but I like it.  I am quite lucky in the sick policy department.  My boss has a compromised immune system, so if I'm sick, I get zero crap about staying out.  My first week at work, I had a head cold but went to work, because who calls out the first week of work?  It was a little testy because the boss and I stayed away from each other; but thankfully s/he didn't get sick. So I still have a job.  

I haven't been able to say much here because of work and school, but I still read here when I can and send vibes where it looks like they might be useful, for what that's worth.  Everyone here is smart, kind, and a great support system, and I treasure whatever kind of virtual quasi-relationship we all have. Just saying.

• Love 3

Here's another controversial sick leave issue. I change my own damned mind depending on the person and situation.

My company allows everyone to take sick time to care for relatives. Most of the time this naturally is people's children. I've never had a male who reports to me ask for it, but the women do all the time.

I don't have kids, so there's that. Now, I absolutely understand when a child gets sick or is sent home from school or day care, then one of the parents must go home and care for the child. As a supervisor who has to maintain a specified level of call center staffing, it can make me sigh, but again, I get it.

But then ... there are people whose kids sure seem to get sick a lot. I'd expect it to happen consistently across the board, but it doesn't. My biggest gripe is That One Person who has a full-time nanny and still asks for leave. In fact, she uses 3 times as much sick leave and personal appointment time as the next highest person in my department. Frankly, I do get annoyed at her.

• Love 2

My doctor gave a hard side eye to my latest urinalysis results and told me I need to drink more water. Fine. Seems like the least I can do for my kidneys since they (uncomplainingly, so far) do so much for me. Also, I ignore a lot of her other advice so feel like this evens me up a little on the "non-compliant patient" scale.

But dang! I'm on day three now and there's a lot of peeing. I'd also prefer to sleep through the night.

• Love 1

We get ten days of PTO (aside from 13(?) holidays). We can carry over into successive calendar years up to five additional days. The time allowed increases with years of employment, but the increases are at five-year intervals. I have a lot of PTO accrued because I have taken only a week off in 21 months. God bless America.

Because I'm hourly and always have overtime, I rarely have to use PTO when I am out, like if I have an appointment during the week. I have monthly med checks with my psychiatrist for my anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds (don't act surprised), and go to the GP every six months-ish for my thyroid check. I've had to go to several docs because of spraining my foot last July, but that was on the company (worker's comp) because I was on an outing to lunch with my team.

My boss said one day that I "go to the doctor a lot", as if that's okay to say to anyone, ever, particularly someone you supervise. I rarely tell him why I have an appointment; it's nobody's goddamned business why I'm out. I schedule appointments at non-critical times, give notice ahead of time, and make up the time and then some. That's all anyone at work needs to worry about--the work is getting done.

On that note, I'm bothered by people leaving reasons for their absence in their out-of-office auto-reply emails. "I am out of the office, attending my great aunt Edna's funeral in Poughkeepsie. The restored barn in which we are holding the wake doesn't have WiFi, so I will reply to your email upon my return." The people reading work email are (should be) work contacts, not friends. Post your reason for leaving town on Facebook to your 1,000 closest friends. Your out-of-office auto-reply email should say you are out of the office, when you are returning, and who to contact in the meantime. Cripes.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

My boss can make his own schedule. He can work from home when he or his family members are sick. He CHOOSES to come to work and contaminate everyone. However, I've been oddly told I'm "not working" if I'm sick at home and working from home. (That's just my dumb boss being dumb.) I don't have a choice. I either take an actual sick day and get the blowback from it, or come to work sick. ::sighing::

I would suggest that the next time you have a cold or the flu, you go to work, and find plenty of reasons to work as closely as possible with your boss (files you both need to go through, if possible over sandwiches at a desk, or in the smallest meeting room available, anything goes as long as you stay in close proximity of boss). Bonus points if you can use his/her phone or computer mouse. There is a chance that you might get a bit more slack for sick days afterwards.

• Love 2

I'm very fortunate to have 15 sick days and 22 vacation days a year that accumulate, and 3 personal leave days that don't. At the moment, I think I have about 12 weeks' worth of vacation time and will use up maybe a total of 2 weeks over the year. But when I can finally retire from this over-priced hellhole, I'll be a no-show for the final few months. I like to plan ahead.

• Love 5

Absolutely! There are ADA guidelines related to ramp length and incline degrees, but I suspect many businesses were grandfathered in. My former dentist didn't have a ramp at his office, since he had few patients who used wheelchairs. His staff would say, "it's just one little step up," not realizing that while a strong person could manage that with a patient in a manual wheelchair, it's impossible to "jump the curb" in a motorized chair that weighs a couple hundred pounds. We would carry a fold-out aluminum ramp for my sisters' appointments. I think that all building designers should try entering buildings while in a wheelchair, on a walker, with a service animal, etc. in order to understand what obstacles are faced by some disabled people.

Belated response to this - I have balance and stability issues.  About 80% of the time I can negotiate things without a walker or cane now, but I live where it is essential flat (so that helps a lot).  A lot of the times I choose to use a ramp to enter a building instead of the steps because of the stability issues and the presence of a handy dandy rail.  But leaving?  A lot of the ramps are too steep so the stairs are the safer alternative. 

My Dad has to use a wheelchair sometimes now - even with a lighter weight one, the ramps can be tough to negotiate for my Mom who is pushing him as his hand strength and coordination have deteriorated to the point where he can't help.  Going up the ramp, she struggles with the weight of pushing him and the usual rather tight turns on the platform; going down, she has to fight gravity which wants to accelerate him faster than would be a controlled descent.

My doctor gave a hard side eye to my latest urinalysis results and told me I need to drink more water. Fine. Seems like the least I can do for my kidneys since they (uncomplainingly, so far) do so much for me. Also, I ignore a lot of her other advice so feel like this evens me up a little on the "non-compliant patient" scale.

But dang! I'm on day three now and there's a lot of peeing. I'd also prefer to sleep through the night.

Timing your water consumption might help a lot.  My beverage intake is basically coffee and water, with a glass of juice or hot tea thrown in once or twice a week.  I taper off my water consumption after 7 PM because otherwise I am up all night with trips to the bathroom.

And if any of the medications you take have a diuretic in them, ask your doctor if they can prescribe you a version without.  Blood pressure meds usually include a diuretic so I get mine without it.  My doctors were fine with that as I don't have a weight problem, but they have to be asked since the default prescription seems to include it.

• Love 1

going down, she has to fight gravity which wants to accelerate him faster than would be a controlled descent.

Pushing a wheelchair down a ramp is dangerous, as the occupant can tip out or the pusher can lose control, as you suggest with your mother.  She should be backing down the ramp, with your father facing up the ramp.

• Love 2

Belated response to this - I have balance and stability issues.  About 80% of the time I can negotiate things without a walker or cane now, but I live where it is essential flat (so that helps a lot).  A lot of the times I choose to use a ramp to enter a building instead of the steps because of the stability issues and the presence of a handy dandy rail.  But leaving?  A lot of the ramps are too steep so the stairs are the safer alternative. 

My Dad has to use a wheelchair sometimes now - even with a lighter weight one, the ramps can be tough to negotiate for my Mom who is pushing him as his hand strength and coordination have deteriorated to the point where he can't help.  Going up the ramp, she struggles with the weight of pushing him and the usual rather tight turns on the platform; going down, she has to fight gravity which wants to accelerate him faster than would be a controlled descent.

This is me as well.  Last year, I was even getting panic attacks over some ramps that were too steep to go down. I've worked through it, I think, but still. Many ramps, even newer, obviously non-grandfathered ones are too steep. 

I go through the same thing with my mom when she needs her wheelchair instead of the walker. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the wheelchair going down and out goes mom into traffic, so we go backward, but then my balance is an issue. We're like the blind leading the blind.

Edited by janestclair
  • Love 1

I'm full of it today.

I really hate when a family member I otherwise love and who I think is generally a thoughtful and considerate person posts really ignorant shit on Facebook. She posts completely false memes that take two seconds to look up to see they are false. I get that our politics are different, but this is an educated and compassionate woman posting complete lies. I just don't get it, and it takes a lot not to react--with facts, of course.

• Love 4

I'm full of it today.

I really hate when a family member I otherwise love and who I think is generally a thoughtful and considerate person posts really ignorant shit on Facebook. She posts completely false memes that take two seconds to look up to see they are false. I get that our politics are different, but this is an educated and compassionate woman posting complete lies. I just don't get it, and it takes a lot not to react--with facts, of course.

I generally just post a link to the page on the debunking site.

• Love 4

An ex boss actually said he was concerned that I was getting sick so much, had I consulted with my doctor?  Ok, I had my doctor type up an excuse letter every damned time I went to see him, even if I came back to work.  The doctor had told me on multiple occasions not even to work remotely that I needed time off to recuperate.  I had given copies of every damned letter to that boss.  He was (and is still) a boss who thinks that everyone in his department is "family".  No we are not; we are co-workers and all that is required is that everyone does their job, helps out, and is polite and courteous to each other.  We do not have to be lifelong pals.  He was the type of person where he has to feel that everyone likes him.  I have since stopped caring about that - not everyone will like you and vice versa.  Be pleasant (don't be a dick) and move along.   I had also explained to this boss that I had a type of auto immune condition, so yeah I tend to catch every damned bug around.    Then a year or so later (after he'd been through multiple ex girlfriends and depressed), he was barely coming into the office himself and didn't give a shit who was or wasn't there.  Still pretty much the same from what I've been told ironically.  He's away more than there.

It was fine with this boss that almost everyone left early on Halloween, because they had to take the kids around to get candy.  I got the well you don't have kids.  So basically my personal time isn't as valuable as others because I haven't popped out a couple of kids? It got even better with every school function, lunch with mom/dad, day at the zoo, the harvest festival, the winter festival, the valentines crap, whatever.  The crew I'm with now do not have any school aged kids (one with grandkids and if she leaves it's a max of 15 minutes earlier or actually leaving on time - she always works over).

Another pet peeve is the massive hype around any major event - awards shows, sporting events, etc.  It's gotten so bad that I don't watch as part of my way of protesting (yeah I know it means squat). I mean awards shows went on before but it's hyped as such a big deal; it seemed classier in the past.  Now they have to throw in all sorts of tv personalities or singers (the new hot flavor of the month) to try and draw in viewers. Just do the damned awards and be done with it.  Bring back classic stars and leave the wannabes out until they earn the right to be there.  I also hate the watercooler talk the next day in the office, from people who have no clue about movies, music, theatre........but then act like they're an expert.  

• Love 1

Hoosier, I so agree about awards shows these days.

Now we have the pre pre shows which start about 5 hours before the awards, then the pre shows, then we have all of the red carpet arrival shows, then the "who are you wearing" shows. Then we get to the actual award show and have 4 hours of that, then after its over we have the post shows.

It's ridiculous. They do all of this extra crap but they only end up showing maybe 5 or 6 awards actually being won. At the 3 hour Grammy show I think I read that they only showed something like 6 awards.

• Love 3

Now we have the pre pre shows which start about 5 hours before the awards, then the pre shows, then we have all of the red carpet arrival shows, then the "who are you wearing" shows. Then we get to the actual award show and have 4 hours of that, then after its over we have the post shows.

It's ridiculous. They do all of this extra crap but they only end up showing maybe 5 or 6 awards actually being won. 

The only thing that's worse is horse racing, especially the Kentucky Derby and similar races-- all that buildup for what is only a 5-minute race. 

The only thing that's worse is horse racing, especially the Kentucky Derby and similar races-- all that buildup for what is only a 5-minute race. 

Actually, a two-minute race, give or take - so roughly double the outrage.

• Love 3

I was just looking at the TV listings for this weekend (under 40 degrees out?  I'm staying in.) and it appears that my local PBS station will be having pledge week.  How can I tell?  One 90 minutes special after another about how to combat aging and weight gain and arthritis and debt.  I used to roll my eyes when they'd slap on all the music specials as if they ever ran that kind of thing when they weren't begging for money.  Now I'm a little weirded out that infomercials have invaded Downton Abbey!  Here's everything that's wrong with you-- stay tuned for advice on how to fix it without doing any actual work!  And donate now and we'll send you a book and a DVD of all the stuff we didn't tell you on the show!

• Love 2

Same here, plus the cryptic Members Choice plugged into several slots on the onscreen guide. I loathe the PBS station I'm sutck with (CPTV). I can only get the one station, none of their 3 or 4 additional flavors, and they repeatedly fuck up their own schedule--they say something is going to be on at a certain time overnight, I set the DVR, and inevitably something entirely different runs at that time. So fuck you, CPTV. I donate to NPR.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hate people who lick their fingers before turning a page or handling papers.  No, I don't want to touch a piece of paper you effectively spat on!

Edited by Mulva
  • Love 4

Which is why we do it!  We don't want people handling "our" stuff.

Ewww. You must be one of those people who licks your cookies so you don't have to share. 

I hate it when there's a discussion about a celebrity, and when someone doesn't know who that celebrity is, instead of asking the other people in the discussion (or Goggling the celebrity's name), the person is all, "Who the hell is THAT????" As if to say. 'If I don't know that celebrity, the person must be irrelevant.' 

--I witnessed it most recently with Stacey Dash (from Clueless).

• Love 2

Ewww. You must be one of those people who licks your cookies so you don't have to share. 

Nope.  Sadly I found out a very young age that it is generally impossible for a younger sister to win at grossing out her older brothers. 

• Love 3

Why do stores never have more than one bra in my size in any style? They'll have one in my size in each style, but that's it. So I always end up buying at least two different styles because there's a sale but you have to buy more than one and because I always need more than one because I buy out of desperation.