Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Daylight saving time was not done because of farming, that is a misconception (someone posted that as a reason, I think here or chitchat). Initially it was done in the thought of saving energy. It hasn’t saved energy either. It is just a badly decided plan that needs to revert to one time year round.

Many regions have passed legislation to end, but they often also state that the change will only happen if neighbouring regions ALSO make the change (for example, Ontario is only going to do it if Quebec and New York ALSO pass legislation).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Saskatchewan has no daylight savings time. So, I'm sure it's a myth that it had anything to do with farming. My dad was a farmer when it was implemented in Germany and he hated it. My uncle who had cows also wasn't a fan. 

I'm very happy to live in a place where it's not done.

• Like 5

Reading quickly I transposed cows and who and read it as the cows weren’t bothered so I asked my cows Chip, Cowlvin, Lillie, and Jerrie if they were bothered by the time change today when I took them their bottles while ago. They are more annoyed with being out of their sweet kibbles and were flopping the hay looking for them.

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, PRgal said:

Many regions have passed legislation to end, but they often also state that the change will only happen if neighbouring regions ALSO make the change (for example, Ontario is only going to do it if Quebec and New York ALSO pass legislation).

It's my understanding that a bill passed unanimously in the US senate last year to make daylight savings time permanent, but it got stalled in the house pending "further study on the matter".  A new bill was just reintroduced to try to get it to pass this time.  Those states that have passed the legislation are either waiting on it being passed in the house or for a neighboring state to pass it to enact the change.  If the house passes it, it's my understanding that we'll all change over unless a particular state passes something against it.  Hawaii and parts of Arizona don't observe DST at all now and if the change becomes nationwide others might follow, but most of the country will move to permanent DST.  I personally can't wait for it to happen. 

A little remembered fact is that back in 1974 DST became permanent, supposedly in response to the oil crisis in 1973.  It received overwhelming support by the public but after the first year most people wanted to go back to changing the clocks.  I personally don't think that would happen this time.  Things and people were different 50 years ago.  Our lifestyles have changed since then as has our perspective on things like this.  

I remember loving the change 50 years ago and being upset when we went back to changing the clocks. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Hawaii and parts of Arizona don't observe DST at all now

I imagine it wouldn't be much of a big deal in Hawaii. It's far enough south to not make a difference.  The difference between sunrise and sunset in Hawaii is a little more than 3 hours from the shortest day to the longest day.  

However in Buffalo, NY it's almost 6 1/2 hours of daylight different. On the longest day of the year in Buffalo sunrise is at 5:00 AM and sunset is 9:30 PM. On the shortest day in Buffalo, sunrise is at 7:12 AM and sunset is 5:17 PM.  Those are the times WITH the time change.

If New York is forced to stick with Standard Time, that would make sunrise in Buffalo at 4:00 AM. Here near NYC, sunrise would be 3:53 AM and sunset at 8:00 PM. So that would be a tremendous waste of daylight to stick with standard time. 

On the other hand, if we stick with DST time all year, sunrise in Buffalo will  be after 8:00 AM for pretty much all of December and January. All of the middle school and high school kids will get to commute to school in darkness and watch the sunrise from their first period class.

I suppose if I were forced to be stuck with one here in NY, I'd go with DST. But I'm more than fine with changing the time twice a year. I don't want go to work in the dark during the winter and I don't want the sun to come up at 4:00 AM in the summer.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

suppose if I were forced to be stuck with one here in NY, I'd go with DST. But I'm more than fine with changing the time twice a year. I don't want go to work in the dark during the winter and I don't want the sun to come up at 4:00 AM in the summer.

I'm also fine with changing time, but I don't understand why they can't just split the difference if they don't want to change time any more.  We wouldn't be the only country with time zones on the half hour from GMT.

• Like 1
On 3/11/2023 at 5:33 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm 5'2" and take a 33" inseam.

I too am a "tall leg on not tall girl"! And I do always feel like I have no torso, even though my BF and friends assure me that it's fine. They don't know!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I too am a "tall leg on not tall girl"! And I do always feel like I have no torso, even though my BF and friends assure me that it's fine. They don't know!

I get this. It's been a constant struggle. Same with shoes. I take a 5, not a 5 1/2 which is the smallest I can usually find.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't really care much about the DST debate either. I'm fairly confident that if a permanent non-changing bill were passed, it would be followed shortly thereafter by a chorus of bitchers about that as well.

It's who we are now.

There were bitchers who complained about the change of date for time changes about 15 years ago or so when that was done.  

Good lord, I just saw my BF use what appeared to be a full sink's worth of dish soap on one glass before scrubbing it for all of two seconds -- literally, the amount of time he spent squirting the soap exceeded the amount of time he spent washing the glass. It's not worth "scolding" him for, but oh my goodness, really?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

There were bitchers who complained about the change of date for time changes about 15 years ago or so when that was done.  

Actually I was and remain one of them. The one week later in the fall doesn't bother me. But two weeks earlier in the Spring is unnecessary. It is now dark in the mornings with the later sunrise and too cold to make use of the extra daylight in the evenings (unless you need to walk the dog).

I agree with all of @JTMacc99's points about why those of us living in northern regions need the two time changes.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Good lord, I just saw my BF use what appeared to be a full sink's worth of dish soap on one glass before scrubbing it for all of two seconds -- literally, the amount of time he spent squirting the soap exceeded the amount of time he spent washing the glass. It's not worth "scolding" him for, but oh my goodness, really?

Arrghh!  You might want to give that glass another rinse before you use it ;)

• Like 2

Re: the time change?  I'm against anything that causes kids to be standing in the dark as they wait for their buses. We've already had one kid killed here as he was standing on the side of a secondary, winding road, on a dark morning. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
1 hour ago, luv2lurk said:

I agree with all of @JTMacc99's points about why those of us living in northern regions need the two time changes.

Yeah, I'd be thrilled with year-round DST, but I understand the issues that would cause elsewhere, so am fine with the current system (I'm just still going to grumble about how damn early it gets dark every time we have to fall back).

13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

On the longest day of the year in Buffalo sunrise is at 5:00 AM and sunset is 9:30 PM. On the shortest day in Buffalo, sunrise is at 7:12 AM and sunset is 5:17 PM.  Those are the times WITH the time change.

Wow, here in the Hartford area of CT sunrise is at 5:16 a.m. and sunset is at 8:29 p.m. with DST on the longest day of the year.  This is what I'm talking about with regard to where you are in the time zone.  Buffalo is 378 miles West of here but still in the Eastern time zone.   Now take Indianapolis, IN for example - their sunrise with DST on the longest day of the year is at 6:16 a.m. and their sunset is at 9:16 p.m. - Almost a full hour later than in CT and still in the Eastern time zone.

On the shortest day of the year here in CT the sunrise on standard time is at 7:15 a.m. and the sunset is at 4:23 p.m.

We really get screwed for daylight here in New England.  

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm also fine with changing time, but I don't understand why they can't just split the difference if they don't want to change time any more.  We wouldn't be the only country with time zones on the half hour from GMT.

I've read that some people have suggested changing or adding to the time zones in the U.S.  Not a bad idea in theory but it would be very hard to actually implement.  The logistics would be a nightmare. 

6 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

I'd be OK with it if they could shorten standard time again. I think that the most recent shortening of the standard time period was a move in the right direction.  From studying the sunrise/sunset charts I can see the reasoning behind shortening it as they have.  Looking at it further I think they could actually delay going back on standard time another week in the Fall and it wouldn't make much difference in the morning hours but would let us keep that extra hour of daylight another hour in the evening.

One thing I notice in my area is that there are psychological effects to the sun setting earlier.  In the cold weather people tend to want to go right home after work when it's dark out.  As soon as the clocks change the parking lots at the shopping plazas thin out a lot after the sunset when just a week before they were still crowded.  I think an argument could be made that more daylight in the evening is good for business, especially retail.  Plus, older people, especially women tend to avoid going out shopping or even taking an evening walk when it's dark out because it feels less safe.  So I think there are good reasons to want to find a way to extend the daylight hours in the evenings.

Also, for those of us that suffer from SADS (Seasonal Affective Disorder) having more daylight in the evening helps our condition because we're more likely to be out in the evening enjoying the daylight than in the very early morning.  For me most of my early morning time was spent commuting, not spending much time outdoors getting vitamin D.  Millions of people suffer from SADS.  I'm happy that DST starts earlier than it used to because it helps me to get over a dreary Winter sooner and gives me a glimmer of hope that Spring is around the corner.  And by March I'm grateful for that.

• Like 3

My SAD gets better when the sun rises when I get up, so switching to Daylight savings year round would make things much worse for me. Evening sunlight wouldn't make it better other than making my insomnia worse. November to January is still dreary and I use an SAD lamp in the morning but that would extend with DST. Shortest days end of December have sunrise after 9am.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, supposebly said:

My SAD gets better when the sun rises when I get up, so switching to Daylight savings year round would make things much worse for me. Evening sunlight wouldn't make it better other than making my insomnia worse. November to January is still dreary and I use an SAD lamp in the morning but that would extend with DST. Shortest days end of December have sunrise after 9am.

When I worked I always had to get up just before or after sunrise in the Winter and so the first hours of daylight were spent indoors getting ready for work and sitting in a car commuting.  So for me those first hours of daylight are the ones wasted, as were the hours spent in an office all day at work.  I'd go out at lunch as much as possible but come home after work in darkness, so I think a lot of office workers would like the extra evening daylight more.  Which is probably one reason why the majority is said to approve of keeping DST either longer or permanently.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've read that some people have suggested changing or adding to the time zones in the U.S.  Not a bad idea in theory but it would be very hard to actually implement.  The logistics would be a nightmare. 

Heh. If we couldn't pull off switching to a system of measurements that bases everything off of tens, I'm guessing that we couldn't figure that out either. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

Do you have a recommendation for a SAD lamp -- one that could be set up at my desk while I work? I have a Chromalux full spectrum bulb in a desk lamp now and I guess it's OK but I don't know much about this topic. 

• Love 1

How unhealthy my family and some friends eat. It’s honestly like I need to avoid some social gatherings due to meeting up at buffet places, pizza, Taco Bell, Chinese takeout, all the candy, Cheetos, doughnuts, etc. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I have this one at my desk at work.

Circadian Optics

I don't use it much at the moment, since by the time I get to the office, I've walked a half hour in mostly daylight now. But I use it until end of February.

I have this one in my bedroom. 

Carex Day-Light Classic Plus Bright Light Therapy Lamp

I like them both. The one in my bedroom helps me get up in the morning. I have programmed it, so it turns on automatically a bit after my alarm goes off.

By April, I won't need it anymore and I will start using it again come mid October.

They have made a huge difference in my life. 

Winters are long around here and if we switched to daylight savings permanently, we would have sunrise after 10am in December and around now, sunrise would be at about 8:30am.

So, I think I would have to move if I still had winter (I'm looking at a snow blast out of my window right now) AND dark mornings in March.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Has anyone ever tested their vintage Pyrex for lead? A somewhat Debbie Downer type I know said something about throwing out all her old Pyrex because anything made before 2005 is riddled with lead. Now I wonder…

This day blows. I broke a vintage Hazel Atlas bowl (I posted about it here a few years ago after finding it for $3 at a Goodwill!), then my cat broke a vintage ‘60s or ‘70s ashtray (I never used it for smoking; it’s kind of a little couchside catch-all). And now I’m wondering if I can’t have all the pretty, pretty Pyrex anymore either. 

• Sad 6
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Has anyone ever tested their vintage Pyrex for lead? A somewhat Debbie Downer type I know said something about throwing out all her old Pyrex because anything made before 2005 is riddled with lead. Now I wonder…

This day blows. I broke a vintage Hazel Atlas bowl (I posted about it here a few years ago after finding it for $3 at a Goodwill!), then my cat broke a vintage ‘60s or ‘70s ashtray (I never used it for smoking; it’s kind of a little couchside catch-all). And now I’m wondering if I can’t have all the pretty, pretty Pyrex anymore either. 

How do you test for lead? The only Pyrex I have is a mixing bowl I got for a wedding present in 1980. It would kill me to give that up. It's my chocolate candy making mixing bowl

• Hugs 3
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Per Snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vintage-pyrex-contains-unsafe-levels-of-lead/

• Thanks 1

I have a clear 8 x 8 Pyrex. Safe I assume. Hate that cookware that we have used for years might now be harmful.

2 minutes ago, rcc said:

Edited by rcc
  • Sad 1

There are swab tests you can buy but who knows how accurate they are? And, oh my goodness, I hope not to be the same Debbie Downer for you, @peacheslatour!

I can’t finish the article at this point because Snopes keeps freezing/bouncing on me as I scroll…but what I did read sounds bad?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1

From Snopes for those who have trouble with the page:

"The claims appeared to originate with a single individual (Rubin) testing vintage Pyrex for lead in a non-laboratory environment and using undisclosed methods. Other people attempted to test their own pieces; one owner of vintage Pyrex in the "Butterprint" pattern discovered different results:..."

"We were unable to locate any other information substantiating the claim that vintage Pyrex contained any worrisome levels of lead. All information we could find indicated that the method of production has stayed consistent for 60 years. The FDA began enforcing limits on leachable lead in 1971, and a vintage Pyrex pattern commonly targeted as purportedly high in lead content didn't even go into production until 1972, after all manufacturers were subject to the FDA's new leachable lead standards."

• Useful 5

Thank you—now I think maybe my phone and/or internet was behaving badly. I could not keep that page readable for more than 2 seconds!

Maybe I’ll test mine just for fun. Although that doesn’t seem that fun; maybe it’s just interesting (and terrifying, depending on the results, I guess).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Similar lead stories, with similar lack of hard evidence was swirling around about Corelle ware also. I had exactly one plate that was a bit sentimental (but not enough to keep) that I threw away rather than take a chance. (It was my husband's baked potato plate - don't ask, as he has an incredible baked potato ritual that he puts himself through in order to eat one). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Similar lead stories, with similar lack of hard evidence was swirling around about Corelle ware also. I had exactly one plate that was a bit sentimental (but not enough to keep) that I threw away rather than take a chance. (It was my husband's baked potato plate - don't ask, as he has an incredible baked potato ritual that he puts himself through in order to eat one). 

I get it. My husband has a "breakfast" fork he uses every Sunday when he makes a big breakfast. It is from the scant amount of wedding flatware we have.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I get it. My husband has a "breakfast" fork he uses every Sunday when he makes a big breakfast. It is from the scant amount of wedding flatware we have.

I have a special fork that my mom used to make Swedish meatballs, meatloaf, and to beat eggs for scrambled eggs. I think it once was part of a set from Sweden. I'll pass it on to my eldest niece someday.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My BF likes to eat his microwave soups and chili in the “pilgrim bowl.” He means that Pyrex Butter-whatever design; I think he used that same one when he was little, which would make sense, as his mom is who gave me a bunch of my favorite and possibly murderous bowls.

Damn it, damn it, damn it, I want to use them always! I love them. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, rcc said:

I have a clear 8 x 8 Pyrex. Safe I assume. Hate that cookware that we have used for years might now be harmful.

It was always harmful, we just now have the knowledge to know that. Thanks, science!

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

(It was my husband's baked potato plate

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband has a "breakfast" fork he uses every Sunday when he makes a big breakfast.

4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have a special fork that my mom used to make Swedish meatballs, meatloaf, and to beat eggs for scrambled eggs.

3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

My BF likes to eat his microwave soups and chili in the “pilgrim bowl.” He means that Pyrex Butter-whatever design

My dad's cereal bowl is an ancient Pyrex bowl. Their patterned Pyrex is the blue set. Google calls it Amish Butterprint

image.png.ffb54219f09634a27964a187ab98f9be.png

263955-1600x1030-how-tell-if-pyrex-is-vi

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I posted about the Pyrex a while back. Maybe it was in one of the other threads.  I got a test kit but I’m not sure I trust it. I decided not to use some of the oldest Pyrex dishes. Some of those were my mother’s. Some are from thrift stores. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

That orange is beautiful!

Now I’m trying to think of whether I have certain dishes I use for certain things always. I mean, yes, I have my regular coffee cup, which seems common for people, but hmmmm…

I have a big Lucy mug that I use for hot drinks other than normal everyday coffee. I liked to use my small blue vintage Pyrex bowl pretty regularly, but now I guess my soup/yogurt/oatmeal future is uncertain!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

I’m not seeing anything solid, but I’m also seeing enough other stuff that makes me wary. But even the Pyrex rep who was cited didn’t say there wasn’t lead. BUT…

I confess, I also kind of feel like who cares? 

• Like 4

My pet peeve today is paranormal investigators.   I think they're a bunch of self-deluded, self-important frauds playing to a lazy-minded audience.  I hate that they're in every ghost-themed show now.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Am I misunderstanding?  That article said that pyrex is safe but several of you are now posting that you don't trust it and it isn't safe.  Colour me confused.

From the Snopes Link (someone else posted first) this is scarelore gone amock and unproven. But the internet will always win when it comes to paranoia and scare. "I heard..." or "I wonder..." fuel those scarelores.

All information we could find indicated that the method of production has stayed consistent for 60 years. The FDA began enforcing limits on leachable lead in 1971, and a vintage Pyrex pattern commonly targeted as purportedly high in lead content didn't even go into production until 1972, after all manufacturers were subject to the FDA's new leachable lead standards.

• Like 5

The fact that it’s 2023 and I am crossing my fingers and praying that my first paycheck arrives in the mail in a timely manner even though I set up direct deposit on the first day. All the technological advances we’ve made and this is still a thing with some employers, and my company said it will be a 3-5 day wait for the mailed check.

(I’m not looking for any budgeting or other personal finance advice in relation to the above since it’s been three months now since I had any kind of real paycheck. I just desperately need money again and then we can talk the other stuff.) 

I am in the same state as my employer so hopefully I will have the check tomorrow or Friday. 

• Hugs 4
11 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Am I misunderstanding?  That article said that pyrex is safe but several of you are now posting that you don't trust it and it isn't safe.  Colour me confused.

In my case, I stopped using the singular item and disposed of it because A) I didn't want to take a chance (hubs has enough problems), and B) it didn't have real value, sentimental or monetary, to justify keeping it around.

Anyone that is unsure about items they are using should certainly do their own research to take it further.  I wonder if local health departments could help with the lead testing/credibility?

• Useful 1

I'm also peeved (ahem) when ceramics contain dangerous lead levels.  Some links for your perusal, germane to our convo:

consumerreports.org/lead/why-you-should-test-your-vintage-or-imported-dishes-for-lead

lead-in-corelle-dishes

corelle-responds-to-viral-post-about-its-vintage-dishware-lead-exposure

It seems like all of the lead in Corelle links circle back to one or very few sources,bloggr/s, so again, do your homework and decide for yourself. If I were actively using any of it, I would try to have it third-party tested for peace of mind.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

From the Snopes Link (someone else posted first) this is scarelore gone amock and unproven. But the internet will always win when it comes to paranoia and scare. "I heard..." or "I wonder..." fuel those scarelores.

Yep. The Snopes link makes it pretty clear that Corning started with something called Nonex in 1913 and removed the lead from that while developing Pyrex that it introduced in 1915. 

Per Snopes, they found no indication from Pyrex's well documented history that they ever changed the composition or manufacture of the product in any way.

The bowls are almost definitely fine. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There's certainly more than enough real issues to be concerned about in the world today, so it frustrates me when people like the pyrex blogger manufacture controversy to get their 15 minutes of fame instead of trying to do something that's actually useful.

• Like 12

I’ve always disliked fake news.  My late maternal grandmother was always spreading that stuff, even back in the early 90s.  She told me not to swim in public pools because you can get HIV (especially because I had bad eczema and would always have broken skin.  I didn’t go to pools often for another reason - chlorine made the eczema worse).  She lived with us so we constantly heard her weird comments.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1