Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Years ago a friend of mine was dating a Broadway stagehand, and when she moved he and his friends did the moving for her.  They were the fastest, most efficient packers and movers I've ever seen in my life.  After all they change out whole rooms of furniture between acts, and have only a few minutes to do it in.  Amazing to watch - I say watch because although I had come over to help, my help was completely superfluous.  They had the whole thing down.

Were they wearing black? Seriously, I'll bet that was a sight to behold. 

Thank you, everyone. She was such a sweet, fun lady, and I don't know if I ever saw her in a bad mood in the 30+ years I've known her.

On a happier note, I also tend to overtip, I figure some jobs are usually underfunded for the physical work involved.

Sad news. I hope you feel better soon (or one day).  And I overtip, too. 

I don't know if this is a pet peeve, or if my relatives are just ratchet. Or both. Or maybe I'm just a snob. Anyway, when my in-laws give me gifts--which I think is very thoughtful and kind--they never include a gift receipt. And the gifts they give me are just not my style. Clothing with lots of lycra and animal prints. Fake leather purses with shiny, gaudy buckles and decorations. I know I sound terribly ungrateful, but these are things I simply wouldn't ever wear or use. I would love to be able to exchange the items for something I would indeed use, but there's no gift receipt, and I don't feel comfortable asking for one. Because doesn't asking for a receipt scream, "I don't like your present."? But is it worse that I don't have the guts to ask them, and I end up giving away the presents they spent time and money to buy me? 

• Love 1

I have a relative who always includes an actual receipt, not a gift receipt, so I can return the item and get cash. Yay. 

Which is good, because the gifts are absolutely never, ever anything I would use.  Asparagus cooker, anyone?   

So I return the item, and pocket the money.

In reality, she's giving me an errand. 

• Love 4

I love asparagus and would probably use that asparagus cooker! :)

I know what you guys mean about gifts like that. Sure I feel ungrateful thinking that, but it makes me think, "do you even know me?" My mom gives me the strangest stuff sometimes. Once for my birthday she sent me a six pack of beer because the cans had my favorite baseball team's logo on them, and I don't even drink beer. Thanks?

Edited by Sweets McGee
  • Love 1

Okay, I will take an asparagus cooker AND a case of beer with my team's logo on it! lol

I've never asked for a gift receipt unless the person is very clear that they would prefer me to let them know if the gift's not right. With family, it's often easier for me to smile, say thank you, and then put the gaudy purses and cheetah-print lycra pants in a box for Goodwill. Less drama.

• Love 8
I would love to be able to exchange the items for something I would indeed use, but there's no gift receipt, and I don't feel comfortable asking for one. Because doesn't asking for a receipt scream, "I don't like your present."? But is it worse that I don't have the guts to ask them, and I end up giving away the presents they spent time and money to buy me?

It depends on the person who gave you the gift.  Because, yes, asking for a gift receipt very clearly indicates you don't like it/don't need it/it doesn't fit and want to exchange it for something else.  So if they're the kind of person who would be offended or hurt by that, then you're better off just donating it (or, if you know where they got it, exchanging it without a receipt; you'll probably get less for it, because you get the lowest sale price, but you can still put that towards something you want).  But if they're the kind who isn't bothered by that, because they'd rather you have something you'll use/enjoy, then go ahead. 

• Love 1

My first Xmas with my husband's family shocked the shit out of me. They would open presents and say "I don't like this". That was new to me, we'd always been taught that even if you don't like a present somebody gives to you, you act like you do like it and appreciate it, his family wasn't like that. After that first Xmas I told my kids to not ever do that, they knew even as kids that it was rude. My grandkids have been taught the same thing. I think it's rude as hell to open a gift somebody gave you and tell the giver taht you don't like it.

My mother in law thought I loved that jogging suit.

• Love 4

I agree - I always express appreciation for a gift.  

Well, sometimes, I have said "I like it but it's a little snug/too short/doesn't fit quite right, would you mind if I exchanged it for the right size?"   

Then once I have the receipt, I can get anything else I like. 

• Love 4

It depends on the person who gave you the gift.  Because, yes, asking for a gift receipt very clearly indicates you don't like it/don't need it/it doesn't fit and want to exchange it for something else.  So if they're the kind of person who would be offended or hurt by that, then you're better off just donating it (or, if you know where they got it, exchanging it without a receipt; you'll probably get less for it, because you get the lowest sale price, but you can still put that towards something you want).  But if they're the kind who isn't bothered by that, because they'd rather you have something you'll use/enjoy, then go ahead.

That's the thing--I don't know where they get the stuff. Half the time, the tag gives the name of a (excuse my rudeness) cheap, ghetto, 'hood store that will not do an exchange/return without a receipt because it has too many customers who steal from the store then try to return the stolen goods to the same store. The other half of the time, there is no tag at all on the gift, making me wonder if they're actually giving me some shit they own but don't want themselves. 

So I end up doing this: 

With family, it's often easier for me to smile, say thank you, and then put the gaudy purses and cheetah-print lycra pants in a box for Goodwill. Less drama.

Regarding gift receipts:

It's been some time since I've worked retail--about 10 or so, but the last time I did, working part-time (in addition to my full-time job) at Barnes & Noble, plus when I would go shopping, I, as the sales clerk/cashier, would always ask if the customer would like a gift receipt around the holidays.  Same with when I was the customer: around the holidays, I would be asked if I would like a gift receipt, thinking it wouldn't hurt.  It's come in handy for me in the past, because some folks just get the sizes of blouses wrong for me.

I normally wear a medium, but due to my bust size, I have to get the next size up. So gift receipts are appreciated so I can get the right size; especially when I love the gift and I can't wear it comfortably!

For the record, the asparagus cooker was from the woman who claims to have given birth to me, but apparently has never met me.   She's never seen me eat asparagus, and in fact I can't eat it due to a medical condition. So yeah, way to waste your pension money, Smother. And it was ridiculously expensive, but at least she got it on sale.

• Love 3

When my future ex-husband and I started seriously dating as teenagers, his mother gave me a fluffy pengoire set (complete with maribou flounces) for Christmas. Since I was a 15-year old high school student and not Jayne Mansfield, I sent her a nice thank you note saying how much I loved it, how fun it was, etc. Then I went too Macy's and exchanged it for something reasonable. Which would have been fine except my boyfriend blithely told his mother I had done so. I suppose the "pet" in this peeve is people who don't play along with society's polite subterfuges!

As as adult, I finally got up the nerve to tell my family I wasn't going to exchange gifts any more. It had gotten to the point that we were all just giving each other gift cards and food baskets, anyway. Stop the insanity.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

Why would he tell her? What a jerk, sorry to call him that but that was a jerky move.

I don't think it's rude or being unappreciative to return or exchange a gift. It would only be rude if you told the giver that you hated it and were returning it. I returned the jogging suit my mother in law gave me and got the bread box I originally wanted and she never knew.

My kids know I don't like them to spend money on me so they always remove price tags and tell me they got a great deal. My son got me a really nice down jacket for Xmas and didn't know there was a price tag in the inside pocket. He paid well over 100 dollars for it, I wanted him to take it back and keep his money. He said it went along with my ATV to keep me warm on it and that he can afford it, which I know he can but I still don't want them to spend that kind of money on me.

It makes me feel uncomfortable when somebody spends so much on me.

• Love 1

And again, the grocery stores and Target were annihilated because supposedly, it's going to snow tonight! Forecasted accumulation? One inch. That's right, ONE. INCH. I went to the latter to get my thyroid medication around 2:00 o'clock, only to discover they had closed the pharmacy!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

The Bay Area goes crazy when we get rain, its never just rain in the forecast its "STORM WATCH". Yeah, we've gotten a lot of rain but its just rain people!

Speaking of rain, I usually love the rain and look forward to it but I've had enough! We've had constant rain almost every day so far this month. I need a damn break!

Living in the boonies so much rain makes everything such a mess. When the dogs go out they bring half the outside back in with them. I'm constantly washing towels because the dogs are always wet. They use the kitchen door to come in and out and my floors are always muddy. I bought a big indoor/outdoor mat to protect my new floors but it hasn't arrived yet. It's really pretty, I'll probably use it outside when the weather gets better. It looks like a rug but you clean it by hosing it off. I can't wait for it to get here.

I used to take my kids puddle jumping when they were little. We'd pop our pajamas in the dryer then bundle up and go take a walk and jump in every puddle we saw. We'd come home, put on our warm pajamas from the dryer and have hot chocolate.

They say it's one of their favorite childhood memories. I would seriously give just about anything to go back to those days and raise my kids all over again. It went way too fast.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

Snow warnings drive me nuts.   At any time, doesn't every family have a box of cereal, some cans of soup, a frozen pizza, box of pasta?   Do they really need to run to the store and buy up all the milk and eggs and bread, for fear of what? Are you going to starve?    Even if it snows 20 inches, the plows will be out, the streets will be cleared, if you're stuck in the house for two days, you will live. 

It's not like I live way out in the middle of nowhere, with only one store.   there are a ridiculous number of stores here.  There's no reason for the nonsense.   And the news channels with "STORM WATCH" alerts just add to the problem.    

My attitude is - it's January, it's Chicago, you don't have to get all excited about snow.  All I need to know is the facts -  temperature, how much snow is predicted. and say it calmly, with no hysteria.   

• Love 5

My kids know I don't like them to spend money on me so they always remove price tags and tell me they got a great deal. My son got me a really nice down jacket for Xmas and didn't know there was a price tag in the inside pocket. He paid well over 100 dollars for it, I wanted him to take it back and keep his money. He said it went along with my ATV to keep me warm on it and that he can afford it, which I know he can but I still don't want them to spend that kind of money on me.

It makes me feel uncomfortable when somebody spends so much on me.

What a nice son you've raised! I understand your graciousness, but it sounds like he got a great deal (even a little over 100 bucks for a down coat is a good price). 

When my future ex-husband and I started seriously dating in high school, his mother gave me a fluffy pengoire set (complete with maribou flounces) for Christmas. Since I was a 15-year old high student and not Jayne Mansfield, I sent her a nice thank you note saying how much I loved it, how fun it was, etc. Then I went too Macy's and exchanged it for something reasonable. Which would have been fine except my boyfriend blithely told his mother I had done so. I suppose the "pet" in this peeve is people who don't play along with society's polite subterfuges!

Was your future mother-in-law encouraging you to be sexually active????  Seriously, you and she were both very polite in this situation (the gift itself, the thank you note). But your then-boyfriend was not. I guess that's why he's your ex now. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

When my future ex-husband and I started seriously dating in high school, his mother gave me a fluffy pengoire set (complete with maribou flounces) for Christmas. Since I was a 15-year old high student and not Jayne Mansfield, I sent her a nice thank you note saying how much I loved it, how fun it was, etc. Then I went too Macy's and exchanged it for something reasonable. Which would have been fine except my boyfriend blithely told his mother I had done so. I suppose the "pet" in this peeve is people who don't play along with society's polite subterfuges!

My parents (and older brothers) would have all given her an earful about that gift!

Were you supposed to lounge around your house sipping scotch, smoking cigs and asking (in your huskiest voice) asking Mom and Dad what time dinner was?

• Love 3
Why would he tell her? What a jerk, sorry to call him that but that was a jerky move.

As I recall the sequence of events, I had sent my thank you card but she hadn't received it yet. She asked her son how I liked the gift and he told her I'd returned it. Which, still gah, but he wasn't trying to undermine me, just oblivious. My error was telling him in the first place, the big doof.

Why she gave it to me, who knows. I guess she thought it was what teenage girls wore to bed, after we kicked off our kitten-heeled slippers and finished our pillow fights.

My parents (and older brothers) would have all given her an earful about that gift!

What was funny to me is that one of the "joke" gifts I gave my boyfriend that year was a package of plaid boxers and his mother didn't like that one bit: "How does she know what kind of underwear you use?!!"

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

Ah.

There is nothing quite like the person who makes me feel bad for giving them a gift. It makes me wonder why I keep trying sometimes.

But that's just it. I don't want to make you feel bad for giving me a gift. I'm extremely grateful that you thought of me. But if the gift is something I definitely won't wear or use, then I wish I had the option of transforming your loving gesture into something that will actually be utilized and won't be given away. Sure, I can hold onto the purse/outfit/negligee/turnip cooker you gave me, but if it's not my size or my style, then I won't wear or use it, and your money and kindness will be for naught.

What was funny to me is that one of the "joke" gifts I gave my boyfriend that year was a package of plaid boxers and his mother didn't like that one bit: "How does she know what kind of underwear you use?!!"

Your mothers-in-law (or boyfriends' moms) are hilarious. One thinks you're Jayne Mansfield, and the other thinks you wear a purity ring. True Love Waits. 

I used to take my kids puddle jumping when they were little. We'd pop our pajamas in the dryer then bundle up and go take a walk and jump in every puddle we saw. We'd come home, put on our warm pajamas from the dryer and have hot chocolate. They say it's one of their favorite childhood memories. I would seriously give just about anything to go back to those days and raise my kids all over again. It went way too fast.

That sounds like so much fun. I wonder if my kids would still do it (they're 12 and 14). I think I'll try. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

And again, the grocery stores and Target were annihilated because supposedly, it's going to snow tonight! Forecasted accumulation? One inch. That's right, ONE. INCH. I went to the latter to get my thyroid medication around 2:00 o'clock, only to discover they had closed the pharmacy!

My takeaway from your post is that where you live, people empty the stores of basil when a storm is coming. lol

But I'm sorry you couldn't pick up what you needed at the drugstore. Californians lose their minds over 1/10 inch of rain, so it's crazy everywhere I suppose. Don't get me started on the drivers who don't put on their headlights duirng storms. They are ultimately the ones driving grey vehicles, too.

• Love 3
Don't get me started on the drivers who don't put on their headlights duirng storms. They are ultimately the ones driving grey vehicles, too.

I always have to remember to do that during rain.  I have mine set on Auto, so they come on automatically when it reaches a certain level of darkness, so when it's raining (which isn't all that often here) in daylight, I have to do it manually.  I'm good about remembering, though, because staring at everyone else's lights is a good reminder.

BUT. I forgot to buy the cream so will have to make my pesto pasta next week, assuming that the one foot of snow that is supposed to get dumped on Friday actually happens.

I've never made a pesto cream sauce.  I've had it, just never made it -- I always just make basic pesto (basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmigiano-reggiano, extra virgin olive oil) and use that as my sauce.

STORM WATCH coverage on local news is utterly ridiculous. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I've never made a pesto cream sauce.  I've had it, just never made it -- I always just make basic pesto (basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmigiano-reggiano, extra virgin olive oil) and use that as my sauce.

STORM WATCH coverage on local news is utterly ridiculous. 

And do you know how difficult it was to find pine nuts??!!! I was going crazy! You have your almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts, toasted peanuts, honey roasted peanuts, trail mix, salted cashews and almonds, but no frickin' Pine Nuts! Color me shocked that I managed to find some at Giant!

And durnit, I forgot to buy the cheese for the pesto sauce! Wonder if it makes a difference if I leave it out? The recipe I have calls for Pecorino cheese, which is similar to Parmesan, per the guy who was demonstrating in the video how to make it. I've never been a fan of Parmesan...too sharp for me, and I always leave it out when making my lasagne.

Ditto on the local weather reports. I mean, last night was just for a dusting, very small amount, but Good Gracious, just the news about the "IMPENDING STORM" caused a nightmare of accidents and traffic jams. And why did the local news feel it was necessary to give us up to date information at every commercial break? Just to tell us that snow was coming...that it would be ending soon...that despite the teensie bitsy amount light snowfall, there was freezing temperatures, so be careful of icy roads, as if this was the FIRST SNOW to ever have fallen in this area.  

Yeah, a friend was telling me she had to buy pine nuts in a jar at her supermarket and that was the one place she could find them.  I'm spoiled by my local market; they have bulk bins of the most common nuts and grains so you can scoop however much you want, and then they have an aisle where one whole side is packages (usually around a pound or half a pound, depending on the item) they've pre-measured of just about every nut and seed there is.  They offer everything raw, plus roasted versions, then roasted and salted versions, etc.  I can really go crazy in that aisle.

I've seen recipes that call for pecorino instead, so yours should be good.  But, no, I wouldn't leave it out.

• Love 2

Not only is storm coverage insane butnI can't keep up with these school closures and actually feel bad for the people that have to make the call. People on social media are straight up assholes when it comes to schools being closed. Yesterday everyone thought school should have been closed, it wasn't. They decided to send kids home at 9am instead with several reports of bus accidents in the area. Had they not closed school at all the roads got better throughout the day and there would have been no issues. This was only a dusting of snow by the way. Today school was closed all day. It's 45 degrees and while there might be a few secondary roads that are iffy there was no need to cancel school. Then of course on social media parents again are being assholes and complaining about the closure. I don't envy the superintendent during the winter that's for sure.

Now, I'm already assuming school will be closed tomorrow since we are supposed to get 18-24 inches. Gas stations and grocery stores are crazy right now. I did send hubby out to look for a generator. I could live without one but the last time we got this amount of snow we had no power for 6 days. For my sanity and the kids' well being it would be best if we could have a little bit of power.

• Love 1

Co sign re the winter hysteria. In my area we've had ONE day of school on Tuesday. Monday was understandable due to the MLK Observance but they cancelled it due to yesterday's dusting thru today and already cancelled tomorrow's due to this majorly hyped system. And what's with everyone wiping out milk and bread at the supermarkets? Are there French toast parties going on during winter storms I don't know about [and would they still be on if power outages offed the stoves]?  I just wish everyone would learn to accept if not like that these systems are part of life in temperate climates and calmly prepare ahead rather than react to them as though they're imminent tsunamis  or Godzillas.

• Love 3

Well now I'm being a hack comedian, but honestly, the weather reports aren't even right half the time! I'm in central Florida so the overreaction rule about cold always applies, but last night we kept getting breaking news alerts on TV for a freeze warning and then it never got below 40 degrees. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do for those, anyway. Cover my plants, I guess, but (1) I only have low-maintenance, hardy shrubs and (2) don't give a flip. I also imagine any serious gardener would be paying sufficient attention to the weather that breaking news alerts would be superfluous.

It's so minor it doesn't even rise to the level of a peeve, but the weather reports in temperate climates are laughable.

I always have to remember to do that during rain.  I have mine set on Auto, so they come on automatically when it reaches a certain level of darkness, so when it's raining (which isn't all that often here) in daylight, I have to do it manually.  I'm good about remembering, though, because staring at everyone else's lights is a good reminder.

I hate people who don't put their lights on in the rain, except now, I'm like Bastet, and my new car has the lights come on automatically, and I always forget.  When it was manual, I never forgot to put the lights on.  Of course, the wipers are auto too, so that's probably the problem.  I don't know why there isn't an auto setting where if the wipers are on the lights come on.  That would be lovely.

And do you know how difficult it was to find pine nuts??!!! I was going crazy! You have your almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts, toasted peanuts, honey roasted peanuts, trail mix, salted cashews and almonds, but no frickin' Pine Nuts! Color me shocked that I managed to find some at Giant!

And durnit, I forgot to buy the cheese for the pesto sauce! Wonder if it makes a difference if I leave it out? The recipe I have calls for Pecorino cheese, which is similar to Parmesan, per the guy who was demonstrating in the video how to make it. I've never been a fan of Parmesan...too sharp for me, and I always leave it out when making my lasagne.

You can leave out pine nuts when making pesto (I am very allergic so I always do) but I would definitely not leave out the cheese. 

Co sign re the winter hysteria. In my area we've had ONE day of school on Tuesday. Monday was understandable due to the MLK Observance but they cancelled it due to yesterday's dusting thru today and already cancelled tomorrow's due to this majorly hyped system. And what's with everyone wiping out milk and bread at the supermarkets? Are there French toast parties going on during winter storms I don't know about [and would they still be on if power outages offed the stoves]?  I just wish everyone would learn to accept if not like that these systems are part of life in temperate climates and calmly prepare ahead rather than react to them as though they're imminent tsunamis  or Godzillas.

My NJ friend refers to snow as "French toast" because of the shopping frenzy y'all are talking about. I'm sure I'll text her this weekend to ask how much French toast is on the ground.

I also call it French toast, or rather making French toast, and I'm also in NJ. I wonder if it's a NJ thing.   We are supposed to get around a foot on Saturday, so the news reports showing empty grocery shelves and people buying shovels are out in full force. What I want to know is, what happened to last year's shovel? 

Of course, the wipers are auto too, so that's probably the problem.

I recently borrowed my mom's car in the rain, and the wipers were on auto; until I figured out how to control them manually (we basically have the same car, but hers is much newer than mine and thus has features mine doesn't), I spent the drive arguing with the damn car -- "I don't want them on at regular speed; intermittent is enough."

• Love 1

Daytime running lights don't activate your tail lights. It is safest to drive with headlights and tail lights on, all the time. It quickly becomes habit to turn them on every time you start your engine.

• Love 2

I just leave my lights on all the time.  When I get service at the dealership, though, they turn the lights off; and I roundly curse them out when I realize that and turn them back on.  One time I almost turned back because something was wrong with my lights - until I realized that the lights were turned off and I just needed to flip the switch.  

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2

Well, if you live in the metro DC area, you already have been inundated with news about the approaching big storm and the amount of snow it will dump keeps increasing.  Now we're up to 30".  So, by Monday I think I'm going to be full of pet peeves!

• Love 2

Well, if you live in the metro DC area, you already have been inundated with news about the approaching big storm and the amount of snow it will dump keeps increasing. Now we're up to 30". So, by Monday I think I'm going to be full of pet peeves!

What?! Now it's over two feet?! I have to remember to raise my wiper blades in the morning before it starts snowing-if it does. Already the colleges are closed until Ninday, but Montgomery Count is still open. Well, at least that was the case as if this afternoon.

I just have to roll my eyes because my county wasn't such a wuss when I was in grade school and high school.

• Love 2

Wasn't it on this thread where some (brilliant person)  said that the worst thing about the first snow of the year was that it somehow always turned into the first day of driver's ed even in parts of the country where IT SNOWS EVERY YEAR.  

I'm still laughing about that.

• Love 1

All sarcasm aside, I do hope everyone remains safe on the roads during the various storms and/or minor weather disturbances.

And I agree that schools shut down way more now than they did when I walked a mile to school in a blizzard every day, uphill both ways. (It really was a mile, though. And there were a couple blizzards during which the school just sent us packing and assumed we'd get home. lol)

• Love 4

All sarcasm aside, I do hope everyone remains safe on the roads during the various storms and/or minor weather disturbances.

And I agree that schools shut down way more now than they did when I walked a mile to school in a blizzard every day, uphill both ways. (It really was a mile, though. And there were a couple blizzards during which the school just sent us packing and assumed we'd get home. lol)

Thanks!  My area is getting hit hard enough that I wound up having to walk two miles to work (and its an essential business)  and I'll almost certainly have to deal with a skeletal crew since buses and taxis are virtually non- existent today (and will likely walk BACK after a very long shift). Anyway, your good wishes are  a boon before I rev myself for walking into this in a little bit.  As soon as all the dust. .. er s- word settles, I'm going out and buy some waterproof high top winter boots- if they're any left in town!

• Love 2

Okay, this guy and video has been used for when long running shows have been cancelled, when shows with potential were prematurely cancelled, etc.  But a friend found one, where he learns that the OPM won't close down the government.

I thought a little levity might not hurt!

And the things he said about MD and DC AND Trader Joe's is SO TRUE!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

That clip has been used for everything, as you note, but Downfall is a freakin' great movie.  Just saying.  That being said - and in line with Hitler's rant - tonight I did the week's grocery shopping because tomorrow it will be snowing 6-12" during my regular shopping time - and I picked up a 12-pack of Yeungling's that we really don't need.  Basically, I shopped like we are spending the weekend stranded with 30 or so people.  I'm just like the people at whom I look down my nose.. but we will eat and drink well. 

• Love 1

As a teacher, I ADORE snowdays, but I'm sure many parents loathe them---I can't imagine what a bitch it must be to quickly reschedule your own work time and figure out how in the Hell to keep your kids fed and quiet and happy while you're all cooped up in the house together for a day or so. I happen to teach special education for severely developmentally-delayed/troubled((sometimes agressive)) students, so I have an extra twinge of sympathy for some of their parents.

Anyways, hate to state the obvious here on why we're way crazier with the school snowdays now, but I'm quite certain it's because we've become such a litigious society nowadays, especially with all the hoardes of helicopter parents out there---just one student injury/death from a bus accident could later bankrupt an entire county from medical/legal bills.

Better to be safe than sorry.

• Love 4

Thanks!  My area is getting hit hard enough that I wound up having to walk two miles to work (and its an essential business)  and I'll almost certainly have to deal with a skeletal crew since buses and taxis are virtually non- existent today (and will likely walk BACK after a very long shift). Anyway, your good wishes are  a boon before I rev myself for walking into this in a little bit.  As soon as all the dust. .. er s- word settles, I'm going out and buy some waterproof high top winter boots- if they're any left in town!

YIKES!!! I hope you got home okay? My favorite boots looked like riding boots but were made of shiny black waterproof fake leather on the outside and had a cozy fleece lining on the inside. They looked good enough to wear to work but kept me dry and pretty warm. Not as warm as my big honkin' Marge Gunderson boots, though.

That clip has been used for everything, as you note, but Downfall is a freakin' great movie.  Just saying.  That being said - and in line with Hitler's rant - tonight I did the week's grocery shopping because tomorrow it will be snowing 6-12" during my regular shopping time - and I picked up a 12-pack of Yeungling's that we really don't need.  Basically, I shopped like we are spending the weekend stranded with 30 or so people.  I'm just like the people at whom I look down my nose.. but we will eat and drink well. 

Good for you! When we lived where we'd have to prep for a few days without power or road access we would buy ourselves all sorts of goodies and eat/drink like royalty. When life hands you lemons, make limoncello and swing from the chandelier.

Anyways, hate to state the obvious here on why we're way crazier with the school snowdays now, but I'm quite certain it's because we've become such a litigious society nowadays, especially with all the hoardes of helicopter parents out there---just one student injury/death from a bus accident could later bankrupt an entire county from medical/legal bills.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I think there needs to be a happy medium between shutting down for every little snowflake, and some of the complete negligence my friends and I experienced. Sure, it was a time when no one wore bike helmets and seat belts weren't worn in the back seat, but telling some kids to go walk home in a blizzard because the school didn't want to have to stay open until our working parents could get there? Jesus. On the other hand, we all survived so all's well that ends well, I guess.

• Love 4
I think there needs to be a happy medium between shutting down for every little snowflake, and some of the complete negligence my friends and I experienced. Sure, it was a time when no one wore bike helmets and seat belts weren't worn in the back seat, but telling some kids to go walk home in a blizzard because the school didn't want to have to stay open until our working parents could get there? Jesus. On the other hand, we all survived so all's well that ends well, I guess.

Let's call this my peeve about helicopter parents. I was born in 1950 and today's extreme focus on child safety is just plain weird to me. (I forgot to have kids, so please take into consideration that I'm talking out of my ass.) The idea of scheduled play dates was unheard of and ludicrous -- we went the hell outside and skidded around on our bikes until it got dark. I took the city bus to school from grades 1-6. I'm not saying safety hasn't rightly progressed, but I definitely think some parents take it way too far.

• Love 4

YIKES!!! I hope you got home okay? My favorite boots looked like riding boots but were made of shiny black waterproof fake leather on the outside and had a cozy fleece lining on the inside. They looked good enough to wear to work but kept me dry and pretty warm.

I used to have a pair of boots like that. I loved them. My mom gave them to me when she retired (from teaching) because she no longer had to go out when it snowed, and I always did even if the whole town closed because I worked in the news department at a newspaper. There were two-three days one year when it snowed enough that almost everything closed, except maybe Walmart and the grocery stores and us. Fortunately, I had those boots, and I lived about a mile or so away from work, so I walked. We don't clear the roads much here because we don't get enough snow to have the equipment and there's always a layer of ice underneath the snow. The state clears the highways, the big cities clear roads and the small towns get farmers to clear roads, but we're an in-between town, so we don't do so well.

Sadly, my boots wore out, and they were so old that no one makes them like that any more.

Let's call this my peeve about helicopter parents. I was born in 1950 and today's extreme focus on child safety is just plain weird to me. (I forgot to have kids, so please take into consideration that I'm talking out of my ass.) The idea of scheduled play dates was unheard of and ludicrous -- we went the hell outside and skidded around on our bikes until it got dark. I took the city bus to school from grades 1-6. I'm not saying safety hasn't rightly progressed, but I definitely think some parents take it way too far.

As long as you're not saying, "I survived without a carseat. Who needs carseats?" I hear people saying that, and I always want to tell them, "Sure, we survived, but a lot of kids didn't."

If I knew other kids, I'd probably schedule play dates for my child because there aren't any neighborhood kids, and also we live near a busy road. I grew up in a cul de sac area, and we had a lot of freedom to ride bikes and play, but there was a lot less traffic in that neighborhood than in the one we live in now. Also, the boy is only 4.

When he starts school, I don't know if he'll take the bus or not. It's not a city bus, though, because we don't have city buses and generally, in our state, the schools all run their own buses. My work is very close to his probable school, though, so I expect to walk him to school. I rode the bus when I was in third and fourth grade from my school to my mom's, and I hated it. The in-town bus had the worst, meanest kids on it.

I'd rather they cancel school and have it not get bad than keep school open and then it gets bad. There is no really good choice, though. No matter what they do, people are going to complain.

• Love 1

How's this for an example of modern parenting.   One day last year, a storm was forecast to begin in the afternoon, so it was announced the day before that school would be a half day, giving parents lots of time to make arrangements and recognizing that half a day of learning was better than no learning.  A colleague came to work that morning and said she had arranged for her children to go the neighbour's house for the afternoon.   But she realized she had forgotten to leave the neighbour the booster seat.  And the neighbour wanted to take all the kids to the museum.  Since it was too dangerous for them to go to school.....

• Love 2