Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

OK, then I'm doing widdershins hanky-pankies to unhex your hex.

But I do love your avatar.

I will undo that. Since I am half Pennsylvania Dutch from my mom’s side I have gone to each entrance of my house and touched the hex signs above them. And looked up widdershins to see if it was in her dutch book of sayings.  Ha, maybe that’s the reason, half each PA Dutch/happy southern. 
eta to keep it peeves, I am bummed that I can’t use the IPS default setting anymore and have to see ads in general, gross ones specifically. And the ads interfere at the bottom with quoting/notifications on iphone.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Aren't they usually about 1/3 empty due to packaging and sold by weight? Regardless, TJs return policy is fantastic. Bring them back the next time you go over there and get a refund.

I’m not traveling 90 minutes each way to return $4. 

I bought the chips before the containers had more chips.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m not traveling 90 minutes each way to return $4. 

I bought the chips before the containers had more chips.

Asking out of curiosity - did you weigh the chips to see if the weight of the actual chips matches what is on the package? If it doesn't, TJs should know about this issue - a quick email to their support will be useful so they can correct it. Who knows, maybe they'll send you a gift card for your trouble.

I get not wanting to return just that, especially due to the drive, but you can always return the package at your next visit. I return empty packages on occasion, when something is bad and I can't really store it until my next visit. They take it back without any questions or issues.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So bottom line, if you only have a few shows and you can see them without scrolling, it might not matter to you.

I use my customized home page to see all my forums, and the old, logical, way of displaying an alphabetized listing of those forums, made visual sense.  This counter-intuitive mess does not.  It's not a hardship (so long as you're browsing through, but if you're looking for a specific one of your forums, it causes a tiny delay); very much a first world problem, it just doesn't make sense, and I don't understand changing from logical to illogical and from visually streamlined to cluttered.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

Peeved at myself at the moment. I absentmindedly put a box of delicious raspberries in the fruit drawer, instead of their normal pace on my shelf and forgot about them.

Thankfully, about half the container is still fine. Raspberries and brie cheese w/ some truffle salami is the best snack over a long weekend.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm also not a fan of the disappearance of the number of pages a thread has. Can this be brought back?  It should be an admin setting, no?

I hadn't realized that was gone, but now I miss it too.  I mean, it's just one extra click to open the thread so it takes you to your last unread (or whatever your setting is) then pick a page there, but still...

You should mention that in the official thread. I've already complained enough there; I think they have me on mute :-)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I hadn't realized that was gone, but now I miss it too.  I mean, it's just one extra click to open the thread so it takes you to your last unread (or whatever your setting is) then pick a page there, but still...

You should mention that in the official thread. I've already complained enough there; I think they have me on mute :-)

I posed the page number question in the official thread earlier today. It's still pending approval.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I posed the page number question in the official thread earlier today. It's still pending approval.

All of my questions and comments are still pending approval because they’re considered “not that important” BUT they have been read!

Changing the subject but….

I’m peeved about rolling blackouts. It’s 19F in the am and they give you no warning. They shut your electricity off for 3 hours. What I fail to understand is why. On Christmas, for instance, most stores and businesses are closed. Their heat is probably turned down and their lights are off so where is all the demand coming from? I know we are all using more heat. Please just tell us when so we can at least get a cup of hot coffee or tea made before. 

• Sad 3
  • Applause 2

God damn it.  I left my water running a bit over the weekend, and a pipe still broke/burst/came unglued in my crawl space!  It's been spewing water for who knows how long (I've been away from home since Friday morning), and there's not only water in the crawl space, but the basement is a little bit flooded as well.  To top it all off, my plumber is so swamped with more urgent things that he won't be able to get to me until Friday morning.  I suppose the silver lining is that it is only in the basement, which is used mostly for storage (although the washer/dryer are there, along with the furnace, but they're all on blocks/planks above the floor), and there's a sump hole/sump pump so the water will only get so deep.  But ugh!  Another thing I have to deal with, and it sucks.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 13
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeved at myself at the moment. I absentmindedly put a box of delicious raspberries in the fruit drawer, instead of their normal pace on my shelf and forgot about them.

Just a hint:  Rinse the fruit in the sink using cold filtered water and hydrogen peroxide. (make sure the HP has no stabilizers in it! This is a great brand)  Fill the sink (or a large bowl) with the water and add about 1/2 cup of HP and gently wash and rinse.  The oxygen helps keep the fruit (or veggies) fresher longer and helps kill anything that might be on it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, supposebly said:

I guess it didn't make much of an impact on me.😉

This recent winter storm across North America reminded me of my Pet Peeve, well, it's quite a peeve ever since I moved to Canada from Germany. Powerlines above ground.

Isn't it time to seriously consider putting them under in cities?

Wouldn't that significantly reduce the number of people being out of power every time a storm of some kind hits?

And make it so much faster to get the power back if you only need to take care of downed big power lines leading into cities insted of every small one that gets downed within city borders?

I raised this point when we had a power loss this summer due to a storm with downed trees etc., and was swiftly lambasted by people who informed me of how expensive underground lines were to repair blah blah. I honestly haven't done any research on the subject, so I'm just spouting through my blow hole, but it would seem like the maintenance might not be all that frequent if underground, no? Our neighborhood is newer, so the power supply directly to the homes is undrground, but of course the supporting infrastructure is still ovrhead, weaving among old, untrimmed trees. In the 26 yrs since we built this home, we have only lost power for more than a few hours a handful of times, so it hasn't been a chronic problem for us, but how many freezers full of expensive protein does one have to lose before it becomes a burden? How many family members relying on oxygen does it take? One can only "prep" just so much. Like it or not, we are slaves to the grid. I can't even think about plugging in an automobile. 

• Like 5

We're out in the 'burbs and close to a hospital. We've been told by some neighbors that we're "on the grid with the hospital" which is why we've only lost power two times in over 20 years, & only for a few hours. The other side of our "community" isn't on this grid and they lose power occasionally. All our power lines are underground. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I raised this point when we had a power loss this summer due to a storm with downed trees etc., and was swiftly lambasted by people who informed me of how expensive underground lines were to repair blah blah.

The "it's prohibitively costly" hesitation has little to do with higher repair costs, and much to do with the up-front cost of installing lines underground; it's higher than installing them overhead, and it's even more expensive (up to three times more) to transition an existing overhead system to an underground one, which is what would be necessary in many places.  Costs which, of course, would need to be absorbed by consumers over time, with an initial increase that could be devastating to some.

And in those areas where it would largely be transitioning, not installing new, there's also the time factor; in my state (CA), where about 2/3 of lines are overhead, transitioning them underground at the current rate would take more than 1,000 years, so even if they seriously accelerated that rate, it's still a hell of a long time. 

Weighing that against how many households actually lose power for any significant period of time and how often where they wouldn't if the lines were underground instead, it's not going to become a widespread practice here, ever.  Just some key areas, maybe.

• Useful 5
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I use my customized home page to see all my forums, and the old, logical, way of displaying an alphabetized listing of those forums, made visual sense.  This counter-intuitive mess does not.  It's not a hardship (so long as you're browsing through, but if you're looking for a specific one of your forums, it causes a tiny delay); very much a first world problem, it just doesn't make sense, and I don't understand changing from logical to illogical and from visually streamlined to cluttered.

I don’t understand why they can’t have a choice of styles. Like dark or light.  For those few who like the new alphabetical style, they could choose that style. For the rest of us we can go to the old way. This can’t be a difficult coding problem. I believe it must be possible. For me there is a bit of motion sickness with the scrolling, as someone else described. 
As for the page numbers, I do see them. I had not noticed something amiss before.  Have they been restored just now?  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

, and much to do with the up-front cost of installing lines underground; it's higher than installing them overhead, and it's even more expensive (up to three times more) to transition an existing overhead system to an underground one, which is what would be necessary ...

I wonder if the costs of power outages are calculated into those upfront costs. And considering the increasing number and severity of storms and weather events, those might be getting higher in the next decade. 

I know nothing but I also wonder if putting them underground could be part of an annual maintenance budget in cities. Small increments every year. 

Anyway, it's a topic of conversation every time I have visitors from Germany for the first time and they exclaim about the ugliness of those power lines hanging everywhere.

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Anyway, it's a topic of conversation every time I have visitors from Germany for the first time and they exclaim about the ugliness of those power lines hanging everywhere.

The aesthetics are the least of it for me, but still a factor, yes.  We're asking more and more from The Grid, while not having the intestinal fortitude to prepare for it in a meaningful way.  Solar?  Hah!  We've had about 15 minutes of sunshine since November.

• Like 3

People who think me being out of work means it’s a leisurely time for me. I can think about what kind of job I’d like to do next! I can contact my landlord to extend my notice so I don’t feel pressured to find a job or move back home! It’s like they don’t listen when I explain I was trying to rebuild my savings when I got laid off and I only got a month’s severance. That may pay my current rent for January and February and that is it if I don’t find a job. Yet everyone acts like being laid off means I can spend my days doing self-reflection and not worrying at all, much less realize that unemployment requires you to look for work and go on interviews. And also my state is so backlogged on claims that people have months and weeks-long waits for benefits. It’s not what it used to be pre-pandemic when benefits were paid out in a timely manner. 

But yes, let me just take my time journaling about my life’s purpose and acting like my rent money is growing on trees and I can just go pick it off to keep living in my apartment (which I hate anyway) indefinitely.

BTW, I have nothing against people who get laid off with generous severances or were able to build up healthy emergency funds beforehand and so they can relax and be choosy. But this isn’t the case for everyone. Like, please try to understand a month’s severance in a shaky economy isn’t meant for me to mosey around navel gazing forever. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The aesthetics are the least of it for me, but still a factor, yes.

Definitely not about the aestehtics but if you grow up in a place where they don't hang around between buildings, you tend to notice them more. And their aesthetics lack thereof. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Definitely not about the aestehtics but if you grow up in a place where they don't hang around between buildings, you tend to notice them more. And their aesthetics lack thereof. 

And when you grow up where they are overhead, and you travel to someplace where they aren't, it takes a while to notice the absence and then it's "Oh, wow - no power lines.  It looks so much neater".  Underground is definitely preferable if starting from scratch, and you can get municipalities, energy providers, and consumers to go along with distributing the increased cost among parties over time.  It's just that converting existing overhead to underground is so cost prohibitive it's not going to happen other than in select locations where widespread and prolonged outages that would not have happened had the wiring been underground are frequent enough to get everyone on board for the transition.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm old enough to remember when Southwest was the shining example to which all others were compared. Things do change don't they?

Same and for real. My trip has been stressful. Not sure if y’all have heard, but thousands of their flights were canceled.

• Sad 3
8 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Yet everyone acts like being laid off means I can spend my days doing self-reflection and not worrying at all, much less realize that unemployment requires you to look for work and go on interviews.

Who is this "everyone"??? And why are you still listening to them??? (Remember your holiday resolution about self-care! Turn off the howling mob and enjoy the peace and quiet.) Really.

Pet peeve: People who want to see me before my surgery to wish me well, which is very sweet, but also eating into my limited time before said surgery to just chill out now that my myriad holiday associated obligations are done. Sometimes the gift of distance is the best gift (cards and emails are much appreciated though).

• Like 3
  • Hugs 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, PRgal said:

These flight cancellations and packed airports is one reason (price is another) I don't like travelling this time of year.  

I’m normally home for the holidays. Definitely learned my lesson! 

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

@RealHousewifeif you're stranded somewhere I wouldn't keep waiting on SWA. Book yourself on the first flight you can get on any other airline with a reciprocity agreement or alliance (like Delta, American, United, etc...)

Thank you. I booked Delta for the first cancellation and American Airlines for the flights back. It’s been bananas.

I hope everyone here had a safe and Merry Christmas. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Granddaughter's family was flying from Chicago to FL yesterday, to meet up with her parents, sister's family and brother's family, along with her other grandparents at an AirBB they rented near Ft. Lauderdale.  Flight cancelled, couldn't rebook for anything under $1200/tickt (x4).  I don't know the details beyond that, other than she's devastated (read pouting). I mean, it's been a whole 60 days since they were there and saw all of these people. I feel badly for her naturally, but still. 😏

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Wink 3
On 12/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

People who think me being out of work means it’s a leisurely time for me. I can think about what kind of job I’d like to do next! I can contact my landlord to extend my notice so I don’t feel pressured to find a job or move back home! It’s like they don’t listen when I explain I was trying to rebuild my savings when I got laid off and I only got a month’s severance. That may pay my current rent for January and February and that is it if I don’t find a job. Yet everyone acts like being laid off means I can spend my days doing self-reflection and not worrying at all, much less realize that unemployment requires you to look for work and go on interviews. And also my state is so backlogged on claims that people have months and weeks-long waits for benefits. It’s not what it used to be pre-pandemic when benefits were paid out in a timely manner. 

But yes, let me just take my time journaling about my life’s purpose and acting like my rent money is growing on trees and I can just go pick it off to keep living in my apartment (which I hate anyway) indefinitely.

BTW, I have nothing against people who get laid off with generous severances or were able to build up healthy emergency funds beforehand and so they can relax and be choosy. But this isn’t the case for everyone. Like, please try to understand a month’s severance in a shaky economy isn’t meant for me to mosey around navel gazing forever. 

Same here. And I still have a busted foot so the downtime is just fucking boring. 

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1

Even in years without widespread cancellations due to nightmare weather, whenever I read/hear about the airport chaos at Thanksgiving and Christmas, I think if I had to travel by air to see family, I would just invent our own family-specific holiday (like Festivus, but with food and drink rather than the feats of strength and the airing of grievances [I can do "I got a lot of problems with you people ..." any time]) in the summer and get together for that annually.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
20 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

It certainly doesn't help that SWA doesn't have reciprocity agreements or any partnership with other airlines. I hope you make it home soon, @RealHousewife

Some more news on this topic. From NPR today at 1:27 PM Eastern:

Hundreds of thousands of travelers hoping to fly on Southwest Airlines this week are likely to be left in limbo a few days longer.

After canceling roughly 13,000 flights in the last few days, the airline is planning to remain on a reduced flying schedule for a few more days, its CEO said in a statement late Tuesday.

All domestic airlines have returned to pre-storm delay and cancellation levels after being knocked off-kilter late last week by a severe winter storm. Yet Southwest Airlines, plagued by staffing shortages and an outdated scheduling system, is still paralyzed.

• Sad 2

I remember going down to visit my parents in Sanibel, Florida many years ago when they had a vacation house there, and there was an unexpected 8 inches of snow that morning.  I remember being switched to a flight to Naples in upper class, and having to call them from a pay phone there.  After all that confusion, I would never want to fly on an early morning - or any really - winter flight anywhere.  My sympathies to all the stranded passengers out there.  This last storm really came at a horrible time.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Local headline peeve - we had a police office shot to death in a routine traffic stop the other day, they've caught the suspects and the headline reads "Investigation continues into alleged murder of OPP officer after two people charged".  There is no doubt the man was murdered.  The alleged part is in regard to the two people charged with the murder.  They do this kind of thing all the time and I find it infuriating.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Similarly, I get pissed about the frequent misuse of "suspect." Like, if you see a masked man in a video in the process of actually committing a crime, he is the perpetrator, not the suspect, even if you do not yet know his name. And as for something like "The police are looking for a suspect in a string of blah-de-blah...." OK, yes, they are looking for suspects, but they ultimately want the perpetrator.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Local headline peeve - we had a police office shot to death in a routine traffic stop the other day, they've caught the suspects and the headline reads "Investigation continues into alleged murder of OPP officer after two people charged".  There is no doubt the man was murdered.  The alleged part is in regard to the two people charged with the murder.  They do this kind of thing all the time and I find it infuriating.

They have not been convicted in court. I guess it's for liability reasons?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Similarly, I get pissed about the frequent misuse of "suspect." Like, if you see a masked man in a video in the process of actually committing a crime, he is the perpetrator, not the suspect, even if you do not yet know his name. And as for something like "The police are looking for a suspect in a string of blah-de-blah...." OK, yes, they are looking for suspects, but they ultimately want the perpetrator.

Except now it's all been dumbed down to "person of interest".  Heaven forbid we would harm the delicate sensibilities of a felon.

4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

"Person of interest" and "suspect" don't necessarily mean the same thing, though -- it's sort of silly, but a suspect is a PoI, but a PoI is not necessarily a suspect. If that makes sense. 

Right. My PHD in watching the various Law & Orders tells me that a person of interest may be a witness or even a.. DUN DUN.. material witness!

• LOL 8

Omg. Major rant incoming related to a pet peeve. I run a FB group that discusses dance. It's a decent sized group and has good content (or I think it does). However, many of the members of that group are now also FB friends with me, and although I love dance, it's not my entire life. So when I post on my main page about sports or politics or whatever else, I have a few members from that FB group lecturing me about how "this isn't the content we wanted." I'm like dipshit of course it's not because this isn't me posting to the group. This is me posting on my own page. They then tell me that they're "disappointed" that I could have a FB group about dance and then post about something as "crass" as sports. Wtf? I'm sick of it. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They have not been convicted in court. I guess it's for liability reasons?

I don't have a problem with them saying alleged in reference to the people who've been arrested and charged it's saying "alleged murder" especially since they've been charged with first degree murder.  The charge isn't alleged.  Maybe I am wrong but saying alleged murder, to me, makes it sound like maybe he's dead, maybe he isn't.  

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Omg. Major rant incoming related to a pet peeve. I run a FB group that discusses dance. It's a decent sized group and has good content (or I think it does). However, many of the members of that group are now also FB friends with me, and although I love dance, it's not my entire life. So when I post on my main page about sports or politics or whatever else, I have a few members from that FB group lecturing me about how "this isn't the content we wanted." I'm like dipshit of course it's not because this isn't me posting to the group. This is me posting on my own page. They then tell me that they're "disappointed" that I could have a FB group about dance and then post about something as "crass" as sports. Wtf? I'm sick of it. 

Can you filter them so they don't see posts on your personal page? "I'm not sure why you don't see all my posts. You know how FB can be".

It's an annoyance to set-up a restrictions group but once it's done, it's easy to add someone.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

Can you filter them so they don't see posts on your personal page? "I'm not sure why you don't see all my posts. You know how FB can be".

It's an annoyance to set-up a restrictions group but once it's done, it's easy to add someone.

Ooh that is a good idea, t hanks. I'll do that. I'm annoyed at the levels of entitlement in their comments. Like just because I set up a dance discussion group doesn't mean I have to forego my other interests.

• Like 3