Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

On 9/5/2022 at 9:57 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wish I could tell how many times this has happened to me.  I have no semi-professional insights beyond what you have mentioned.  It'll turn up, which doesn't help you now.  I did order a replacement TV/Roku remote from Amazon, which arrived a few hours after I found the lost one.  Maybe try that, lol.

I remember losing the Roku remote also one time after watching a long show or movie and remembered that I had a Roku remote app on my phone.  But the problem was that I had to program the Roku settings to accept it.  For which I needed the remote!

But I did program the setting for the app for the future.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Arrrrggghhhh, we somehow lost the Roku remote, which doesn’t ever even leave the living room—which I tore apart to look for it: in, on, under, around the couches; in the cats’ toy box, cabinets and bookshelves. Then onto other places that maybe it would have accidentally been brought to and left: fridge/freezer, recycling bin, garbage, kitchen cabinet with snacks, bag of chips, bedrooms, bathrooms, my bag…not to mention the exact place that it’s kept, just to make sure we’re both not selectively blind and/or crazy. That thing is completely and illogically GONE.

I once found a box of tissues in my freezer section.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:12 PM, TattleTeeny said:

That's basically my BF, if it's a "small" issue (e.g., being snappy and snippy for no apparent reason!). He definitely has trouble apologizing, but manages for the bigger shit.

My ex was incapable of apologizing to me for anything, big or small.  We discussed it in couples therapy and he acknowledged that it was a problem.  Didn't change anything.

• Sad 3

My ex was incapable of apologizing to me for anything, big or small.  We discussed it in couples therapy and he acknowledged that it was a problem.  Didn't change anything.

When I was selling my dad's house, I was going to all of the meetings with the realtor, the bank, the title company, etc. alone because, as power of attorney, my signature was the only one required. My DH kept wanting to come with me and asked why I had been excluding him. I finally told him. "Because you constantly interrupt me and talk over me."  He denied it and I let him come to the next one. As we were driving home he said "You know, you were right. I caught myself about to interrupt at least three times."  He's much better now.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 7

As someone with a degree in nutrition, seeing “influencers” (with no credentials) posting bad info on social media makes my blood boil. In the last week and a half, I’ve come across 4-5 posts about how people can get all the protein they need by eating sweet potatoes and avocado. Not only is this false,  it’s potentially dangerous, especially for the younger generation who gets everything from social media. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Bookworm13 said:

As someone with a degree in nutrition, seeing “influencers” (with no credentials) posting bad info on social media makes my blood boil. In the last week and a half, I’ve come across 4-5 posts about how people can get all the protein they need by eating sweet potatoes and avocado. Not only is this false,  it’s potentially dangerous, especially for the younger generation who gets everything from social media. 

Whoa!  I have zero background in nutrition (other than reading fitness magazines/websites and watching videos from actual RDs) and I would know not to eliminate food groups/categories unless there's a health or religious reason to do so!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Whoa!  I have zero background in nutrition (other than reading fitness magazines/websites and watching videos from actual RDs) and I would know not to eliminate food groups/categories unless there's a health or religious reason to do so!

These were mostly vegan/vegetarian pages, but it seemed like they were using those titles as a way to mask restriction rather than genuinely believing in those eating styles. I’ve been vegan for over a decade and come across so much BS over the years, but it’s just sad that nobody is calling these people out and if you say anything, you’re attacked by their followers for being a hater. 

Good God almighty! I received a package today from Amazon that I never ordered...a big ol' box of Tampax! And I can't seem to bypass their "my order" system. I even called tonight & the woman asked what was my order. We couldn't seem to get past that. Any idea on whom to call?

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
32 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good God almighty! I received a package today from Amazon that I never ordered...a big ol' box of Tampax! And I can't seem to bypass their "my order" system. I even called tonight & the woman asked what was my order. We couldn't seem to get past that. Any idea on whom to call?

DId they charge you for it?  If not, just ignore it and give the stuff to someone else if you can't use it.  If there's a credit card charge, you can call the credit card company and initiate a dispute and they will take it off your bill.  That ought to end it for you as it will probably be resolved in your favor. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

If you do the online chat and ask for someone in the states to call you (you have to call during US business hours) you can usually get someone who has more access to do a deeper dig. A year or so ago a couple books were randomly delivered to me but not in my history. I was concerned it was part of the brushing scam but after some research it didn't seem to be.

If it's not in your order history and you were never charged for it either use them or donate them. 

Here is some info on Amazon including a link to report unwanted packages.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G33XVXQPUV79Z2ZC

Information on brushing: https://clark.com/shopping-retail/amazon-scam-brushing-warning-deliveries-you-didnt-order/

Edited by theredhead77
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I had that happen once and it was several books by the same author. Amazon told me to just keep them and I gave them to a neighbor who liked the author. But no charge ever showed up on my credit card and it never appeared in my order list.

If Amazon doesn't want it back you might consider donating it to a women's shelter. They are always in need of tampons, pads, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bookworm13 said:

These were mostly vegan/vegetarian pages, but it seemed like they were using those titles as a way to mask restriction rather than genuinely believing in those eating styles. I’ve been vegan for over a decade and come across so much BS over the years, but it’s just sad that nobody is calling these people out and if you say anything, you’re attacked by their followers for being a hater. 

Maybe they were paid by food companies?  I stopped blogging because of that.  I tried plant based meat substitutes and most have been gross/over-processed.  The only plant based burgers I purchase are from indie companies which use "real" ingredients (usually millet, quinoa, beans, etc...).  

49 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did you check your account to see if anyone bought anything off of it?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good God almighty! I received a package today from Amazon that I never ordered...a big ol' box of Tampax! And I can't seem to bypass their "my order" system. I even called tonight & the woman asked what was my order. We couldn't seem to get past that.

Sounds like you got free tampons, then.  I wish that would happen to me; those suckers aren't cheap, even at Costco, and I go through a lot of them.

It also sounds like you can't use them, so I second the recommendation of donating them to a shelter.  Not a lot of people think to donate toiletries, but they are very much in demand.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
37 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

If you do the online chat and ask for someone in the states to call you (you have to call during US business hours) you can usually get someone who has more access to do a deeper dig. A year or so ago a couple books were randomly delivered to me but not in my history. I was concerned it was part of the brushing scam but after some research it didn't seem to be.

If it's not in your order history and you were never charged for it either use them or donate them. 

Here is some info on Amazon including a link to report unwanted packages.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G33XVXQPUV79Z2ZC

Information on brushing: https://clark.com/shopping-retail/amazon-scam-brushing-warning-deliveries-you-didnt-order/

Thanks! I found the call number somewhere in here. I spoke with a young man who told me to place it on my front porch with a note asking UPS to pick up, which I did, asking them to return to sender. I asked the guy if this was one of those brushing scams, but he ignored my question.  Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help. A friend, who lives in a different section of our development, received lots of unwanted stuff last year so I worried that this was the scam--but she got *good* stuff...not a big ol' box of tampons 🙄. I think this went to the wrong person cause he asked if I knew some woman. I didn't and I bet that's who ordered the tampons. Better you than me, toots...I'm so glad those days are over!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks! I found the call number somewhere in here. I spoke with a young man who told me to place it on my front porch with a note asking UPS to pick up, which I did, asking them to return to sender. I asked the guy if this was one of those brushing scams, but he ignored my question.  Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help. A friend, who lives in a different section of our development, received lots of unwanted stuff last year so I worried that this was the scam--but she got *good* stuff...not a big ol' box of tampons 🙄. I think this went to the wrong person cause he asked if I knew some woman. I didn't and I bet that's who ordered the tampons. Better you than me, toots...I'm so glad those days are over!

Not to be pessimistic, but I don’t think UPS will take it back without a return label back to Amazon-the person you spoke with should have emailed you a return label that you could print out.

But maybe your UPS person will take it back.

• Useful 1

Uh-oh ..got an email telling me to place a copy of their email with a barcode for the long sleeve shirt. Good grief. Then I got an email asking me to rate their service...which I certainly did, saying I didn't order, nor receive, a shirt. 

3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not to be pessimistic, but I don’t think UPS will take it back without a return label back to Amazon-the person you spoke with should have emailed you a return label that you could print out.

But maybe your UPS person will take it back.

Thanks. I was afraid to print the bar code, thinking amazon would expect that long sleeve shirt in the box being returned. Now I don't know what to do.

• LOL 3

This sounds like an error we had last week.  I got a package from Lululemon by FedEx.  I'd never order from Lululemon--too expensive for workout gear.

I live in an apartment building with a doorman, so the doorman holds the packages.  It had my exact address but someone else's name.  There was a phone number on it for the intended recipient.  We called her, and she lives across the street!  How they got my exact address on this package I'll never know.  She came and picked up the package.  If she hadn't done so, we would have given it back to the UPS driver, since the named individual didn't live in my building, and I think he would have taken it. 

• Useful 2

Uh-oh ..got an email telling me to place a copy of their email with a barcode for the long sleeve shirt. Good grief. Then I got an email asking me to rate their service...which I certainly did, saying I didn't order, nor receive, a shirt. 

Thanks. I was afraid to print the bar code, thinking amazon would expect that long sleeve shirt in the box being returned. Now I don't know what to do.

I'd donate them and not give it another thought.

And a random tip for those in the states, feminine hygiene products are covered by your FSA (if you have one). 

27 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'd donate them and not give it another thought.

And a random tip for those in the states, feminine hygiene products are covered by your FSA (if you have one). 

I'll put it on the porch for UPS to pick up tomorrow. If they don't, I'll donate to a shelter.

• Like 2

It’s more like a “me peeve” and not a “pet peeve” LOL but I hate trying to talk on the Internet at times. I’m a millennial so I remember when there was no social media, and on the flip side, I’ve obviously seen it explode in the last several years. And now with Discord…sometimes I feel like I missed a “how to communicate online” class haha. In some of my servers I see everyone else joking around, having lively conversations, and bouncing off each other, and I seem to get ignored altogether. It’s worse when I don’t fit the hive mind or the popular opinions of a server (more likely to happen in fandom than in non-fandom spaces honestly, so at least I have talked to good people more often than not). It kind of feels as if everyone else “gets it” and catches on while I struggle to be seen and heard. 

Same on Reddit. By the time I join or see conversations I’m interested in, a thread has filled up quickly and it feels too late to contribute. If I do weigh in, barely anyone sees it and I feel left out.

It’s so confusing. Boards like this don’t overwhelm me because they’re quieter and less chaotic, plus not as…fiery as some places. Sometimes social media has been a blessing and a curse on my life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This random “stuff” just showing up reminds me of YEARS ago when books from Readers Digest used to just “appear” in my mailbox with an “invoice” to pay for what I wanted to keep and return (at my cost) what I didn’t.

Didn’t fall for it and gave the unwanted/not ordered books to Goodwill.

Unfortunately for the grift I knew that you do not need to pay for anything you did not order, nor return it to the sender. (I previously work for a national CC company and was in the fraud dept. and was the law enforcement liaison , they picked the wrong mark.)

Also once got a “subscription” to the New York Times (I am in California!) Chargeback for unauthorized mail order/telephone order, bye bye crammers!

• Useful 3
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Definitely sounds like a "brushing" scam, the post by @theredhead77 has the Amazon link to report it. 

• Love 1

I got a big laugh from my neighborhood coffee group friends this morning when I told them about the box UPS delivered yesterday. Actually, one of the neighbors was a recipient of this brushing. But *she* got really good stuff--not a big box of Tampax 🙄.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 1
On 9/7/2022 at 12:48 PM, Leeds said:

I once found a box of tissues in my freezer section.

My mother, and my sister, hated to apologize. My sister actually told me that it was really painful to admit that she was wrong. I grew up with this, and reached a point where I now need to hear a real apology. She would buy me something instead, something she thought I would like, and then reverted to the hateful shit she was doing to me, before my mum died, when I still didn't want to be around her husband.

It still has me wanting to shoot off into space (anger-wise), when I think about how my BIL would admit to things, like his hitting on me, screwing up my relationship with my sister, etc, and then she would tell me that he was just placating me. The denial is unreal.

On 9/7/2022 at 2:31 PM, Bookworm13 said:

I've never been one to throw myself into a diet, but I've been unlearning things that have been pumped into my brain over the last decade or more. The need to be thin, green smoothies over one that I might actually enjoy (I don't mind certain green smoothies, but green juice is not for me). The hard sell on kombucha, when it upsets my stomach, and I can actually eat yogurt/drink kefir made from dairy. Being told to avoid dairy, if I want my skin to look its best, and to lose weight (same with bread, except I really shouldn't eat bread, because it upsets my stomach). 

I saw a tiktok from someone making a healthy coke they'd heard about: balsamic vinegar in fizzy water?? She spit it out, and said that was not comparable to coke. 

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, emma675 said:

If Amazon doesn't want it back you might consider donating it to a women's shelter. They are always in need of tampons, pads, etc.

This!! Or if you don't have a shelter nearby, donate it to a local food pantry (my local food pantry always keeps diapers and sanitary supplies in stock because they are SO expensive and we always get asked).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Anela said:

My mother, and my sister, hated to apologize. My sister actually told me that it was really painful to admit that she was wrong. I grew up with this, and reached a point where I now need to hear a real apology. She would buy me something instead, something she thought I would like, and then reverted to the hateful shit she was doing to me, before my mum died, when I still didn't want to be around her husband.

It still has me wanting to shoot off into space (anger-wise), when I think about how my BIL would admit to things, like his hitting on me, screwing up my relationship with my sister, etc, and then she would tell me that he was just placating me. The denial is unreal.

I've never been one to throw myself into a diet, but I've been unlearning things that have been pumped into my brain over the last decade or more. The need to be thin, green smoothies over one that I might actually enjoy (I don't mind certain green smoothies, but green juice is not for me). The hard sell on kombucha, when it upsets my stomach, and I can actually eat yogurt/drink kefir made from dairy. Being told to avoid dairy, if I want my skin to look its best, and to lose weight (same with bread, except I really shouldn't eat bread, because it upsets my stomach). 

I saw a tiktok from someone making a healthy coke they'd heard about: balsamic vinegar in fizzy water?? She spit it out, and said that was not comparable to coke. 

I don’t understand the smoothie thing.  I could eat the exact same ingredients in a salad.  I prefer to chew them, not swallow.  

• Love 2

Oddly enough, if I have salsa, I want it to be at least as thick as ketchup with only the occasional tiny bits of the original vegetables to taste NOT  runny as a V-8 with large chunks of tomatoes, onions and peppers to have to chew to death before I can swallow them!

2 hours ago, supposebly said:

I don't understand smoothies. They remind me of baby food. It's a bit gross to me.

We have teeth for a reason!

I hate the texture of blended drinks; I have no interest in a smoothie to begin with - I'll just eat my fruits and vegetables, thank you - and I want my margarita on the rocks.

40 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Oddly enough, if I have salsa, I want it to be at least as thick as ketchup with only the occasional tiny bits of the original vegetables to taste NOT  runny as a V-8 with large chunks of tomatoes, onions and peppers to have to chew to death before I can swallow them!

I'm of the opposite taste on this; I'm good with many other creamy dips, but salsa and guacamole must be chunky.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hate the texture of blended drinks; I have no interest in a smoothie to begin with - I'll just eat my fruits and vegetables, thank you - and I want my margarita on the rocks.

I'm of the opposite taste on this; I'm good with many other creamy dips, but salsa and guacamole must be chunky.

Too many smoothies have bananas in them. Yuck. I need a thinner version of a smoothie.

But, guacamole? No discernible lumps, chunks, please. It must be smoooooth & creamy. Salsa must be fresh tomatoes, etc., (none of that jarred stuff). 

I saw a Starbucks ad about an apple crisp drink. But I think it has coffee in it (😒). Guess I need to concoct my own apple crisp drink: maybe hot apple cider, with some cream (??) in it, a tiny bit of cinnamon & cardamom, pulsed in my little blender, then poured into a big cup and topped with fat-free ReddiWhip.  If I make it, I'll let ya know if it's a winner. 

Forgot to add the apple crisp-like topping: almond granola has a bit of cinnamon in it & is like apple crisp's topping. Just a bit on the whipped cream.

Edited by annzeepark914
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

But, guacamole? No discernible lumps, chunks, please. It must be smoooooth & creamy.

Creamy is a crime against guacamole. 🙂

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Creamy is a crime against guacamole. 🙂

My mother made the worlds worst guac. She put avocados in the blender with lemon juice and garlic and blended it to soup. No wonder I hated guac until I met a guy who knew how to make proper guacamole.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My mother made the worlds worst guac. She put avocados in the blender with lemon juice and garlic and blended it to soup. No wonder I hated guac until I met a guy who knew how to make proper guacamole.

Aww...you west coast guys are tough 😉

• LOL 3

Aww...you west coast guys are tough 😉

Have you ever tasted such a concoction? My boyfriend used to roughly mash the avocado and add jalapenos with lime juice and flat leaf parsley. We both hated cilantro.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

That blender concoction sounds awful!  My aunt once served some creamy monstrosity she bought pre-made at the grocery store, but it at least had the self-respect to call itself "avocado dip" rather than masquerade as guacamole.

All I add to mine is jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, salt, and a splash of lime juice, but I'll eat it with tomatoes and/or onions in it, too. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Have you ever tasted such a concoction? My boyfriend used to roughly mash the avocado and add jalapenos with lime juice and flat leaf parley. We both hated cilantro.

The very first time I (a NYS native) had guacamole was in the early '80's.  I'd heard all the jokes about sitting at a boring party, watching the guacamole turn brown (but didn't "get" it). Then, I had guacamole at a trendy cafe in Raleigh. Wow! It was delicious and for someone who loathed lumps, chunks, & other stuff...it was a eureka moment 😁.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

We both hated cilantro.

I'd never tasted cilantro until I was eating a Lean Cuisine one night & thought I'd tasted soap 😯. Can't recall how I finally learned what that soapy tasting ingredient was. A few years later, I ventured into a Vietnamese cafe where I ordered chicken pho. Everything was separated so I started putting it all together in the broth. The last item was (I guessed) cilantro. I avoided it for the first few sips, then added it along with a squirt of fresh lime. Geez...it didn't taste like soap. So, that's my experience w/ cilantro.When fresh + with fresh lime juice, it's good. When cooked in something? Meh. YMMV, of course! 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'd never tasted cilantro until I was eating a Lean Cuisine one night & thought I'd tasted soap 😯. Can't recall how I finally learned what that soapy tasting ingredient was. A few years later, I ventured into a Vietnamese cafe where I ordered chicken pho. Everything was separated so I started putting it all together in the broth. The last item was (I guessed) cilantro. I avoided it for the first few sips, then added it along with a squirt of fresh lime. Geez...it didn't taste like soap. So, that's my experience w/ cilantro.When fresh + with fresh lime juice, it's good. When cooked in something? Meh. YMMV, of course! 

I just don't like it, no matter what it's in.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I just don't like it, no matter what it's in.

Do you just not like the taste of cilantro, or does it taste like soap to you?  Because some people have a variant in a cluster of olfactory receptor genes that causes the aldehyde in cilantro to register as tasting like soap.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I've got the genetic variant that makes cilantro taste like soap. Cilantro will ruin any meal it's in for me.

I understand this as a person who cannot handle raisins in baked goods. On their own...in a salad? They're good. But something happens to raisins in the oven (& it ain't positive 😾).

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Amazon has their own trucks and drivers now, and they don’t know where they are going.  We live in an development, and they constantly leave packages in the wrong house.  That package was probably paid for already and is probably one of your neighbors.  That rarely happens with UPS, as they are the best drivers.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

Amazon has their own trucks and drivers now, and they don’t know where they are going.  We live in an development, and they constantly leave packages in the wrong house.  That package was probably paid for already and is probably one of your neighbors.  That rarely happens with UPS, as they are the best drivers.

I've never before had a problem with Prime. This carton was addressed to me, so the problem was back at the warehouse. But UPS picked it up today and left a receipt ☺️.

13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've never before had a problem with Prime. This carton was addressed to me, so the problem was back at the warehouse. But UPS picked it up today and left a receipt ☺️.

Ok, that’s different.  👍

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I've got the genetic variant that makes cilantro taste like soap. Cilantro will ruin any meal it's in for me.

6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. I have that too.

I'm sorry for your loss. I think my mom has it but neither my dad or I do. My brother from another does which makes sharing guac impossible. 

• Sad 1