Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Ongoing peeve -- the people who refuse to wear masks and refuse to get vaccinated, then whine and complain (loudly!) that schools are shutting down.  D'ya think there might be a correlation there?

Also, damn, those are some shiny tights!

My favorite are the people who are suing the schools for requiring masks and complaining that the schools are closing. I swear if I hear "you have to make the decision that is right for you and yours" one more time I'm going to fucking lose it. You need to make the decision that is best for the greater good. Wear a fucking mask, get vaccinated, and shut the fuck up.

My second favorite are the people who were protesting shut downs in a city that literally had nothing closed, no plans to close, no mask mandate and no plans to issue one. Still no idea what they thought they were protesting. They were literally "protesting" in front of a packed bar with nary a mask in sight.

• Love 20
40 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My favorite are the people who are suing the schools for requiring masks and complaining that the schools are closing. I swear if I hear "you have to make the decision that is right for you and yours" one more time I'm going to fucking lose it. You need to make the decision that is best for the greater good. Wear a fucking mask, get vaccinated, and shut the fuck up.

My second favorite are the people who were protesting shut downs in a city that literally had nothing closed, no plans to close, no mask mandate and no plans to issue one. Still no idea what they thought they were protesting. They were literally "protesting" in front of a packed bar with nary a mask in sight.

My pet peeve is the people with this cognitive dissonance where they say that there's no covid because no one is wearing masks. I see this all the time in states like Florida -- people saying "we don't wear masks down here, there's no covid." Actually there is, there just aren't the safety protocols.

And back to the shiny hose: I also hate the size charts on the back of the tights that are totally inaccurate. One company's "small" can be another company's "medium."

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

One company's "small" can be another company's "medium."

You know the expression "pants are hard"? It's not that they are hard to wear, they are so hard to shop for! I actually donated all my work pants. I lost weight (on purpose) and they are all too big. By the time I have to go back to an office it will either be casual and I can wear jeans, or I'll have to buy new pants. I hope it's the former!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, supposebly said:

I haven't clicked but I have to ask: at the same time?

Yes!

I remember wearing two pairs of L'Eggs at the same time when I was on the high school dance team and it was freezing cold one football game night, back when it was cold in North Carolina, 30 years ago. We had to wear one pair, but I tried two for "warmth". Not that there's really any such thing when you're wearing a tiny dance uniform.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

You know the expression "pants are hard"? It's not that they are hard to wear, they are so hard to shop for! I actually donated all my work pants. I lost weight (on purpose) and they are all too big. By the time I have to go back to an office it will either be casual and I can wear jeans, or I'll have to buy new pants. I hope it's the former!

Tunic and leggings!  That has been my uniform for the past two winters.  If your office is going to be "workleisure," that is.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Around 2013 or so (when I could still sit for hours and hours and didn't need a standing desk at work) I stopped buying and wearing jeans to work, even though the boss encouraged us to wear jeans to make us seem more approachable to the college students. Instead, I bought poly-cotton-stretch blend work pants in navy and black (and gray, tan, or print when I could find them--never found white) from the department stores.
So much more comfortable than denim!
I don't know if the large clothing department stores are even functioning now. Even before the pandemic several shut down.
But the stretch, dressy-casual pants were great because I could dress them up or down depending upon what I wore on top and type of shoes.
And they didn't wrinkle!
And pockets!
--Although now there are leggings with pockets too, but if you're wearing a tunic, that makes it awkward to get your phone or keys in and out of the pocket.
They're slim but not skinny cut. In the dead of a northern winter I can fit a pair of Cuddl Duds under them.
Comfortable on airplanes too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

YUP! There is a direct correlation between "comfort/the right amount of stretch" and "way too shiny"! I have this problem in finding the perfect black tights-- well, had, considering I have no real need for black tights anymore.

One brand that is a little more expensive but comfortable and not at all shiny: Wolford Velvet De Luxe.

Edited by isalicat
  • Useful 1
Just now, isalicat said:

One brand that is a little more expensive but comfortable and not at all shiny: Wolford.

LOL the Wolfords I bought (there's a picture on the previous page) ARE super shiny. I was assured they were the most "durable and comfortable."

They are the Neon 40's. I got them on sale.

I know some people swear by Sheertex but I just can't pull the trigger on $99 tights no matter what. Even with Wolfords you can get 2 tights for much less than $99.

2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

LOL the Wolfords I bought (there's a picture on the previous page) ARE super shiny. I was assured they were the most "durable and comfortable."

Yeah, sorry... I went back and edited my post to give you the specific Wolford's I got - they are super comfortable and not at all shiny. I get everything I wear on eBay so try there...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, isalicat said:

Yeah, sorry... I went back and edited my post to give you the specific Wolford's I got - they are super comfortable and not at all shiny. I get everything I wear on eBay so try there...

Thanks! Are they really thick? 66 denier is pretty thick right?

2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Thanks! Are they really thick? 66 denier is pretty thick right?

Yes...I also have good luck getting hose and tights from Talbots (also via eBay - I am too frugal to pay retail for anything!).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, GaT said:

She also wears multiple pairs of Spanx under her clothes

I can't figure out how anyone could breathe, let alone dance, in multiple pairs of Spanx, so I just did a quick internet search and can't find anything about that.  I find articles about her wearing (one pair of) Spanx when she attended an event a few months after giving birth to twins, about wearing four pairs of tights, about Kim Kardashian wearing two pairs of Spanx, and about how 15 female celebrities answered when asked the ridiculous "Are you wearing Spanx?" question at the Golden Globes several years ago, but nothing about Beyoncé wearing multiple pairs of Spanx.

• Love 3

To me it usually looks like she wears fishnets. But maybe she wears those over all the other tights.

Actually, I think many female performers wear fishnets. I would guess it's because they let your legs breathe but kind of hold them together so you don't have a lot of loose flesh wobbling around while you dance. You don't have to be fat for that to happen.

P.S. Isn't the name Neon a clue that those tights are going to be shiny?

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

To me it usually looks like she wears fishnets. But maybe she wears those over all the other tights.

Actually, I think many female performers wear fishnets. I would guess it's because they let your legs breathe but kind of hold them together so you don't have a lot of loose flesh wobbling around while you dance. You don't have to be fat for that to happen.

Yeah, many female performers wear fishnets. But Bey seems to wear a layer of shiny hose under her fishnets.

0IM5fI3kZ-Barg2LxslgwCaUYuqyniZci9yzB7Pg

28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can't figure out how anyone could breathe, let alone dance, in multiple pairs of Spanx, so I just did a quick internet search and can't find anything about that.  I find articles about her wearing (one pair of) Spanx when she attended an event a few months after giving birth to twins, about wearing four pairs of tights, about Kim Kardashian wearing two pairs of Spanx, and about how 15 female celebrities answered when asked the ridiculous "Are you wearing Spanx?" question at the Golden Globes several years ago, but nothing about Beyoncé wearing multiple pairs of Spanx.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/photos/celebrities-swear-spanx-17813719/image-17813833

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/11-23-10-beyonce-reveals-her-secret-undergarments/#slide=0

Matriarch Tina Knowles and her supernova daughter Beyoncé hit the View Monday and spent much of their interview lauding Spanx undergarments, with Bey even admitting that she wears multiple pairs during performances to "keep it supported."

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Matriarch Tina Knowles and her supernova daughter Beyoncé hit the View Monday and spent much of their interview lauding Spanx undergarments, with Bey even admitting that she wears multiple pairs during performances to "keep it supported."

That article misstates the interview.  Wearing multiple pairs to keep things supported was what she said when asked why she wears four pairs of tights on stage.  When they talked about Spanx, it was about pinning it to your bra in four places so it doesn't roll down (which, of course, made me think about Wanda Sykes joking about that happening to her in the middle of a Tonight Show appearance); there was nothing about her wearing multiple pairs while performing. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have never worn Spanx (so I’m not clear on the…format? Logistics?) but I cannot imaging any bra I own withstanding this pinning technique! Wouldn’t the Spanx just pull the bra down too?! 

Hah! I've never worn Spanx either. But when I do put on a bra to go out in public when it's not cold enough to be wearing a puffy jacket, the bra band does annoyingly ride up. So maybe that's a reason to wear Spanx, and --what is it?-- pin them to my bra to keep it down.

Now I'm flashing back to having to wear a girdle when I was 12 or 13 in the 1960s to hold up my stockings (before pantyhose and before girls were allowed to wear pants to school). Sort of like this (from Etsy):

image.thumb.png.1797cb68f4d3d5c171c62a5109c5007b.png

--but I'm imagining them hanging from my bra band to hook onto, I don't know, maybe the belt loops on my pants??
I mean, suspenders had to begin somewhere, right?

• Love 1

Oh my goodness, it’s all so mind-blowing! And to think, I find run-of-the-mill bra shopping to be a pain in the ass!

Also, if one of Beyoncé’s bra pins opens, does her entire show just go all to hell?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm surprised she doesn't wear like a merry widow type corset.

It seems to me that's how a lot of her costumes are designed.

11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Also, if one of Beyoncé’s bra pins opens, does her entire show just go all to hell?!

I don't know that her costumes even allow for wearing Spanx; certainly not the kind that cover the thighs (thus the four pairs of tights), and, like I said, I think shaping her stomach is accomplished via the corset style of the costumes.  They weren't discussing the bra pinning trick specifically in conjunction with her performing; it was general advice to women wanting to wear shapewear under their clothes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It all sounds like getting dressed back in Scarlett O’Hara times!

Indeed, and I'm very glad I've never worn any of that shit; it all sounds terribly uncomfortable, and I have a problem with women of all sizes being made to feel like they need to don shapewear (no problem if they freely choose it based on liking how they look in it, but a big problem when they do it out of fear of the judgment they'll get if they're not tucked in or a belief their body shape is inherently wrong and must be altered) while men are given exponentially more latitude to look as they naturally do.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Indeed, and I'm very glad I've never worn any of that shit; it all sounds terribly uncomfortable, and I have a problem with women of all sizes being made to feel like they need to don shapewear (no problem if they freely choose it based on liking how they look in it, but a big problem when they do it out of fear of the judgment they'll get if they're not tucked in or a belief their body shape is inherently wrong and must be altered) while men are given exponentially more latitude to look as they naturally do.

Spanx does not change anyone's body shape, it just smooths out the silhouette. Nobody *needs* to wear it, but certain types of cuts and/or fabrics look much better with shapewear underneath. This goes for women of all sizes. I'm a size 6 and if I'm wearing a form-fitting dress that isn't lined and/or has a shiny or clingy fabric, I prefer to wear Spanx underneath.

BvBH4JKCYAAt-uu.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

if I'm wearing a form-fitting dress that isn't lined and/or has a shiny or clingy fabric, I prefer to wear Spanx underneath.

In other words, "no problem if they freely choose it based on liking how they look in it".

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

In other words, "no problem if they freely choose it based on liking how they look in it".

Right, but the main point of my comment was that Spanx does *not* change a person's body shape; that's a common misconception that I want to clear up. It's just a minor aesthetic enhancement (no different from pantyhose IMO, since that was the original pet peeve).

And FWIW, Spanx also has a men's shapewear line, which is very popular.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Right, but the main point of my comment was that Spanx does *not* change a person's body shape; that's a common misconception that I want to clear up. It's just a minor aesthetic enhancement (no different from pantyhose IMO, since that was the original pet peeve).

The shape of the body in the picture with Spanx appears different than the shape of that same body in the picture without it; that's the whole point of wearing shapewear.

3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

And FWIW, Spanx also has a men's shapewear line, which is very popular.

Launched a full decade after the line for women had been on the market (to the tune of $350 million purchased in a year), targeted only at the stomach, and later reintroduced with boxers and socks as well.  From what I read, only in 2021 has sales of the men's line started to rise.

I didn't, in a quick search, come across comparative sales data for the two lines, but I'd imagine the women's line sells a good deal more.  And men certainly don't face the same pressure to wear it - no one asked the male attendees of the Golden Globes if they were wearing Spanx that year the women were quizzed on their undergarments as if that's a totally appropriate question to pose on camera.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The shape of the body in the picture with Spanx appears different than the shape of that same body in the picture without it; that's the whole point of wearing shapewear.

Still the same body shape, just smoothed out love handles and side thighs and slightly lifted butt. The body proportions are still the same. You'd need something much more heavy-duty, like a corset, to change body proportions.

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

no one asked the male attendees of the Golden Globes if they were wearing Spanx that year the women were quizzed on their undergarments as if that's a totally appropriate question to pose on camera.

It seems to have become the custom over the past several years for female celebrities to post their getting-ready routines on social media, and shapewear features heavily in them. The red carpet interviewers peruse the celebrities' social media to get interview material, they don't just make up questions out of thin air.

And I really don't think we should extrapolate from red carpet interviews about "the pressure put on women" in general. Real life is very different from Hollywood award shows.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I've never worn Spanx either. But when I do put on a bra to go out in public when it's not cold enough to be wearing a puffy jacket, the bra band does annoyingly ride up. So maybe that's a reason to wear Spanx, and --what is it?-- pin them to my bra to keep it down.

Now I'm flashing back to having to wear a girdle when I was 12 or 13 in the 1960s to hold up my stockings (before pantyhose and before girls were allowed to wear pants to school). Sort of like this (from Etsy):

image.thumb.png.1797cb68f4d3d5c171c62a5109c5007b.png

--but I'm imagining them hanging from my bra band to hook onto, I don't know, maybe the belt loops on my pants??
I mean, suspenders had to begin somewhere, right?

Oh god I’m of a similar age. I was going to mention this but I didn’t want to give any one nightmares. That’s a garter belt. I had a similar device that was an elasticized panty as you describe. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

And men certainly don't face the same pressure to wear it - no one asked the male attendees of the Golden Globes if they were wearing Spanx that year the women were quizzed on their undergarments as if that's a totally appropriate question to pose on camera.

Yes, but in recent years I've noticed men of my (older) age at the beach or running with boob issues similar to the boob/bra issues I've had for over 50 years, which makes me flash back to a Sociology lecture in which we heard about the theory that the reason older white men had the highest rates of suicide was because they had always been at the top of society's food chain, so when they lost their social status, they had no psychological coping mechanisms to deal with it.

Anyway, the male Spanx for the upper body do not look even a tiny bit as uncomfortable as gravity-fighting bras are. 

My sister doesn't have this problem (she's got her own problems), so if any women do not know what I'm talking about, count yourselves lucky and continue with your day.

Interestingly, family legend has it that I had a great aunt who started a brassiere manufacturing business in the first part of the 20th century. Thanks for trying, Auntie!

"issues" here = major, long-term "pet peeve"

• Love 4
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, it’s all so mind-blowing! And to think, I find run-of-the-mill bra shopping to be a pain in the ass!

Years ago I found one bra that fits and I like. I just keep reordering it from Amazon. It’s one of the big names. Fortunately they keep making it or else I’d be expressing one of my other peeves: companies that stop making stuff I like. 

• Love 5

I'll pile on the bra peeve.  I cannot for the life of me find bras I like.  Underwire doesn't bother me either way, but I despise molded cups, and I'm not a fan of padding or even a lot of lining.  I also prefer one with a clasp -- no pulling it over my head, thanks, so anything resembling a sports bra-type garment is right out.  I'm on the verge of needing new bras, and if anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them!

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'll pile on the bra peeve.  I cannot for the life of me find bras I like.  Underwire doesn't bother me either way, but I despise molded cups, and I'm not a fan of padding or even a lot of lining.  I also prefer one with a clasp -- no pulling it over my head, thanks, so anything resembling a sports bra-type garment is right out.  I'm on the verge of needing new bras, and if anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them!

If you have a Nordstrom near you they do bra fittings and can find ones you like by description alone. They are of course, pricey, because Nordstrom, but once you find one, you can try to find them cheaper online.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, theredhead77 said:

I swear if I hear "you have to make the decision that is right for you and yours" one more time I'm going to fucking lose it. You need to make the decision that is best for the greater good. Wear a fucking mask, get vaccinated, and shut the fuck up.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I swear, if I have to hear one more time how we have to be patient with these people, despite all the vitriol they spew at all the health officials who are trying to save their lives and protect their children, I’ll scream.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

If you have a Nordstrom near you they do bra fittings and can find ones you like by description alone. They are of course, pricey, because Nordstrom, but once you find one, you can try to find them cheaper online.

Sadly, no Nordstrom near me.  But I've been fitted by actual bra fitters.  I know what fits, and I know what I like.  I just can't find what I like. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I recommend Wacoal bras, which I usually by from Nordstrom Rack or during Nordstrom’s annual sales. Not cheap, but worth it. My related pet peeve - when I find the perfect bra and it is discontinued. I have one that is the most perfect bra ever, and of course I only got one. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

My related pet peeve - when I find the perfect bra and it is discontinued. I have one that is the most perfect bra ever, and of course I only got one. 

That also happens with shoes that don't hurt my feet.
And even when I once bought 3 pair of "slides" for work with the slight heel and the soft soft soles, after 10 years, the soles all dissolved just sitting in the closet. Weird.
They wouldn't work for me now anyway.

But with your favorite bra, maybe a tailor could make you another?

• Love 1