Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Nope, my store employees don't understand the insulated bags.  And don't get me started how they don't understand that the flat board in the bag is the bottom of the bag and needs to placed flat, on the bottom of the bag once you stand the bag up and before you put the items in it. Next time, I'm going to ask "What do you think that thing is?"  

I buy an assortment of apples every week.  I purposely choose ones that each have a tag, and I might buy 2 of one kind, three of another.  I refuse to use those stupid flimsy plastic bags (I'm going to wash them anyway, and why in the hell do people use those bags for one item or a bunch of bananas?), but always group them together on the belt. Every time, the cashier grabs them all, puts them on the scale, and uses the code for the most expensive variety.

These are the reasons I use self checkout. Even with all the produce to key in, it's faster to do it myself and I get them bagged the way I want.

• Love 2

So I read an article today about a job fair for an outlet mall in this area. The article stated the retail employers were specifically looking for  MULTI-lingual employees. It specifically stated "Preferred candidates should fluently speak English, Spanish, French, and German".

WTF. I know South FL is considered a transient area, and I've long since seen the "BI-Lingual" preferred. But 4 languages?  And this is an expectation for a minimum wage job in an area where homes are overpriced and the median rental cost for a 1-bedroom is $1200/month.

I am far from  an "This is America, speak English only" person, but expecting low-wage employee to have a multilingual skill set is a little over the top in my opinion.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I've always thought the term 'grass fed' butter is funny inasmuch as I've yet to see butter attempt to eat grass and I think I'd call an exterminator or animal control if I ever saw that happen! LOL

Glad I'm not the only one.  We put out a newsletter on work that includes a recipe.  Last month it called for grass-fed butter.  I asked my boss how the butter was going to eat the grass.  He was not amused.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's really weird.  To the best of my knowledge, you can't accidentally not know something is not vegetarian.  Meat is pretty obviously meat.   But, that sounds really passive-aggressive, but also really weird.  What was their end game?  What was their motivation?  Just weird.

Vegan is another story, and it is possible to make an honest mistake on that.  Until I was told by a vegan friend, I hadn't thought about honey not being vegan, just for example.   And, I also learned that some vegans don't consider veggies that were fertilized with you-know-what as being vegan, either.

I agree. I've been thinking about this off and on all day. What horrible women! I cannot comprehend being this type of person. Even if I was cooking for one of the organic proselytizers I find so annoying I'd still try to accommodate their choices, and I'd certainly not intentionally sabotage their food. I don't get that type of immaturity. 

• Love 3
(edited)
45 minutes ago, bubbls said:

To the best of my knowledge, you can't accidentally not know something is not vegetarian. 

You never met the many members of my family who (back when I was a vegetarian) would tell me that they had made a special CHICKEN dish for me, since they knew I was vegetarian and didn't eat meat.  Every veg person I have ever known has stories like this, unless they grew up in veg families.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Quof said:

flimsy plastic bags (I'm going to wash them anyway, and why in the hell do people use those bags for one item or a bunch of bananas?)

Bananas ripen faster in a plastic bag. And if the bunch's stem is,wrapped tightly in plastic, they don't brown.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

You never met the many members of my family who (back when I was a vegetarian) would tell me that they had made a special CHICKEN dish for me, since they knew I was vegetarian and didn't eat meat.  Every veg person I have ever known has stories like this, unless they grew up in veg families.

I'm sorry to hear this. I respect other people's dietary choices and I don't understand why others cannot. To me, it's so easy that it'd be a really simple flowchart:

Are you eating it?

If yes, then your opinion and choices matter.
If no, Shut. Up.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have to remind my mom all the time--and it often doesn't work and, hooray, iceberg lettuce salad for me...again! I swear, every time

"I'll just make you some fish then. ...You don't eat fish? Why not? Since when?"

It'd kind of similar to that thing parents/older relatives do regarding stuff you liked when you were seven or into some kind of trend that etched something onto their brains:

"I saw this Scooby-Doo ceramic bathroom accessories set thought of you--here!"  

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

If it helps, it's not just vegetarians or vegans that get this kind of response.  I don't like coffee, and people always insist I'm wrong.  "Have you tried latte?"  "Have you tried espresso?"  "You'll like my coffee" "You must like kahlua!" and so on.  My dislike of coffee is so strong I don't like coffee ice cream or coffee liqueur or tira misu, etc.  I once had this conversation at a restaurant.

We were given 4 chcolate truffles at the end of a wine tasting.  

I bite into one, make a face and say "there's coffee in this."  
All my friends say some form of this "No, there isn't.  Maybe you don't like dark chocolate"
Me, supressing an eyeroll.  "You know I love dark chocolate."  
Them "Well, there's no coffee in this."
I tentatively take another bite.  "I know there's coffee in this.  I'll ask the waitress."
Them "Don't bother her with that."
I ask, she asks the chef and confims that yes there is coffee in the truffles.
What do my friends say? "Well. coffee goes well with dark chocolate!  It makes it taste better."  Not that they were wrong, but that I'm stupid for not liking it.

These friends have known me for over 10 years.  They never offer me coffee anywhere, since they know I don't like it.  But when it's cooked in things, somehow that's different.

• Love 8

Wow, @aquarian1! Are you still friends with these people? I only ask because I had a friend like that and after the third time of him acting like that, I dropped him as a friend. Haven't spoken to him in over 20 years and haven't missed him for even one day of that time.

• Love 1
(edited)

If it helps, it's not just vegetarians or vegans that get this kind of response.  I don't like coffee, and people always insist I'm wrong.  "Have you tried latte?"  "Have you tried espresso?"  "You'll like my coffee" "You must like kahlua!" and so on.  My dislike of coffee is so strong I don't like coffee ice cream or coffee liqueur or tira misu, etc. 

Ahahahhahhahhahhaaa! Replace all the coffee-related references with various onion formats and you get my life. No, I have not and will not "just try" a Bloomin' Onion, as its main component is exactly what I just said I do not like even in small doses. No, I would not  love your grandma's onion-festooned green-bean casserole. No, one cannot just pick them off and carry on. And, here's a two-parter: (a) You have no way of knowing whether I will "not even be able to taste them!" (b) Then why the fuck are they even in there?! 

I don't like them. Who gives a shit?!

Unrelated: why did I even venture into the Twin Peaks thread? Because not everything everyone hoped for was presented in the damn premier, clearly that must mean that it never, ever will be and it all sucks already!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

In my house Laughing Cow Cheese is just cow cheese.

A friend and I used to call it Ha-Ha-Moo.  Because we clearly deserved a spot at the Algonquin Round Table.

• Love 5

My 5th grader decided she is a vegetarian since early in the school year. It's often a good opportunity for me to point out that vegetarians eat VEGETABLES and not just mac and cheese. I think she's a cheesatarian to be honest. I did tell her that if she decides to go vegan, she's on her own, but I feel comfortable that the cheese thing will prevent that from happening.

Driving peeve: Two lane road, some areas 55 mph, some 45 mph and then back to 55 mph.  Driving conditions clear and dry. Car in front of me for no particular obvious reason sometimes is going 55, sometimes is going 35. The 55 was actually in the 45 section of the road, which was fun for the purposes of this peeve. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

So I read an article today about a job fair for an outlet mall in this area. The article stated the retail employers were specifically looking for  MULTI-lingual employees. It specifically stated "Preferred candidates should fluently speak English, Spanish, French, and German".

WTF. I know South FL is considered a transient area, and I've long since seen the "BI-Lingual" preferred. But 4 languages?  And this is an expectation for a minimum wage job in an area where homes are overpriced and the median rental cost for a 1-bedroom is $1200/month.

I am far from  an "This is America, speak English only" person, but expecting low-wage employee to have a multilingual skill set is a little over the top in my opinion.

Yeah that's asking a bit much for a mall job, especially for French and Spanish. I speak German, Russian and Hebrew and rarely run into other people who speak those languages unless they happen to be German, Russian or Israeli. 

• Love 4
(edited)

My 5th grader decided she is a vegetarian since early in the school year. It's often a good opportunity for me to point out that vegetarians eat VEGETABLES and not just mac and cheese. I think she's a cheesatarian to be honest. I did tell her that if she decides to go vegan, she's on her own, but I feel comfortable that the cheese thing will prevent that from happening.

Unless it was sushi, every single meal I ate had to contain some kind of cheese or another; my refrigerator and cabinets were filled with a range of high-end fancy ones all the way down to anything and everything covered with that bright-orange powder (including that super-sized plastic barrel of balls!). Cheese was the last vestige keeping me technically vegetarian after I'd scrapped everything else (meat was easy, to be honest). I hunted and scoured and researched and sampled replacements with varying results. And now, I feel like I've got the cheese cravings completely covered. So, if you ever want some easy suggestions (store-bought or homemade) for your daughter, PM me--I am no kind of kitchen wizard so all the stuff I do is very easy; if you are someone who already knows how to cook, I'm sure you'd have these things down faster than I do even now.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Introduce her to tofu and inform her that if she is really going to be a vegetarian, then she's going to be eating a lot of tofu in order to get the protein her body requires for her to grow. Even with lots of tofu, she'd probably be challenged to get her required protein. So, you could introduce her to whey powder and tell her she'll need to drink protein shakes. (I did bodybuilding and even I don't like whey protein.) And finally you can introduce her to soy protein shakes, the most palatable part of all of this. LOL. Here: http://bit.ly/2qcsfg4 It actually tastes pretty good and is enriched with vitamins and minerals. Turns out that Naturade also has a product intended to help you get the protein you need each day, too: http://bit.ly/2rtD4ij

Even with lots of tofu, she'd probably be challenged to get her required protein. So, you could introduce her to whey powder and tell her she'll need to drink protein shakes.

If she eats lots of dark green things, she'll get the protein she needs...though I assume those dark-greens are often the more difficult things to get little kids to eat?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

If she eats lots of dark green things, she'll get the protein she needs...though I assume those dark-greens are often the more difficult things to get little kids to eat?

Correct. 

She does like the full range of fake meat soy products. Fake chicken nuggets and patties, fake meatballs, fake burgers are all regular items in her diet. I try to work in beans, but she's not so into the beans.

• Love 2
(edited)

Those Gardein Ultimate Beefless Burgers are lifesavers, I tell you! While I love a good veggie burger, many times I want a copycat*--one that imitates a real-deal meat burger! Wow-whee, these are it! 

* Back to peeves: I know a few obnoxious people who deem it wrong to eat something designed to closely imitate the real thing. No, I don't get it either.

OK, non-food peeve: why does it seem like the more ways there are to communicate, the more slowly people are to get back to you? Ugh, Friday afternoon a client asked if I could take on a freelance project with a turnaround time of less than a week. I took a look at it on Friday, decided that if I start it today (Monday), I should have no problems getting it done quickly. I e-mailed her to say OK and awaited the info/details I need from her. No reply yet. Yes, it's still morning but my availability could change based on what fresh hell my real job introduces this week.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

why does it seem like the more ways there are to communicate, the more slowly people are to get back to you?

Could be either or both of a couple of things that come to my mind. The first is that with more ways to communicate, our attention is divided and each thing demanding our attention receives less of it. The second thing that comes to mind is simply that with so many ways to communicate, people feel overwhelmed and decide to ignore some or all of it periodically. After all, sometimes we just need to be alone in the world.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Introduce her to tofu and inform her that if she is really going to be a vegetarian, then she's going to be eating a lot of tofu in order to get the protein her body requires for her to grow. Even with lots of tofu, she'd probably be challenged to get her required protein. So, you could introduce her to whey powder and tell her she'll need to drink protein shakes. (I did bodybuilding and even I don't like whey protein.) And finally you can introduce her to soy protein shakes, the most palatable part of all of this. LOL. Here: http://bit.ly/2qcsfg4 It actually tastes pretty good and is enriched with vitamins and minerals. Turns out that Naturade also has a product intended to help you get the protein you need each day, too: http://bit.ly/2rtD4ij

This takes me back as I was a vegetarian as a child--and my parents were beside themselves. But I loved tofu and vegetables so it wasn't too hard for me. Tofu can be tough for some kids to swallow unless they like the texture; it's good sautéed and then mixed with whatever vegetables/seasoning but some people will never, ever come to like it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I made the best batch of baked tofu cubes last night -- just tossed in olive oil, tamari, and a little cornstarch. That damn cornstarch is a godsend!

Heard back from the client. Instead of replying with the details I need, she tells me that if I can do it (which I already said in the previous message) she will send the info. Oy vey, why not just send it with the reply?! Waiting again...

And again: my "real" job needs a pretty extensive proof done by Thursday. They know I need a printout of the document (a big old 11" x 17" set of 40 spreads); this is routine yet they forget to print me one all the time. Had to e-mail that person reminding her to please do that so I can do this...and crickets. At least my coworkers' collective inefficient nature gives me time to work on the freelance stuff--I'm being paid twice!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

@TurtlePower I'm not vegetarian, but I do like tofu. I'm trying to get my wife to start cooking with it, but we don't have any decent recipes to even use as a base. The only recipe we have is from my mother who used to make a "tofu casserole", which was really just:

• rice on the bottom
  • tofu
  • broccoli, cauliflower, and whatever other vegetables she decided to throw in
  • cheese

Bake @ 350 or 400 degrees until "done". No, I have no idea how she knew it was done. It tasted good, inasmuch as a 10-year-old is a food critic. Have I ever mentioned my mother's a terrible cook? Well, you probably already knew that by this point in the post and now you know for sure. So, if anyone has good recipes that use tofu, I'm accepting PMs. :D

• Love 1

A week or so ago someone posted (somewhere) about the start of the annual ant invasion into our homes.  I have good luck with diatomaceous earth - it is a powder, so can be a bit hard to apply neatly but it is food grade so no worries if the pets or kidlings get into it

I originally bought it because during the drought we started having some weird kind of millipede show up in the house - they were looking for water.  When I went to my local hardware store trying to figure out what to do, they said to rake away any built up leaves or mulch next to the foundation of the house and put down some of the DE powder.  Reapply if it stopped working or we got some rain and it gets washed away.  If you know where in the house they are coming in, put some in those areas too,

I got mine at ACE Hardware - probably a 16 oz canister, but it did not have an applicator tip (which some that I see on line do).  I ended up buying a rose duster but that sometimes ends up dispensing much more product than I want (probably user error there).  A small brush can be dipped in and used to spread it nicely if you aren't doing a large area.  I use this method to do in the seams of my kitchen counter - normally I quite like my black countertops (some kind of corian or similar), but not when trying to apply a very thin line of white powder.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

A week or so ago someone posted (somewhere) about the start of the annual ant invasion into our homes.  I have good luck with diatomaceous earth - it is a powder, so can be a bit hard to apply neatly but it is food grade so no worries if the pets or kidlings get into it

I originally bought it because during the drought we started having some weird kind of millipede show up in the house - they were looking for water.  When I went to my local hardware store trying to figure out what to do, they said to rake away any built up leaves or mulch next to the foundation of the house and put down some of the DE powder.  Reapply if it stopped working or we got some rain and it gets washed away.  If you know where in the house they are coming in, put some in those areas too,

I got mine at ACE Hardware - probably a 16 oz canister, but it did not have an applicator tip (which some that I see on line do).  I ended up buying a rose duster but that sometimes ends up dispensing much more product than I want (probably user error there).  A small brush can be dipped in and used to spread it nicely if you aren't doing a large area.  I use this method to do in the seams of my kitchen counter - normally I quite like my black countertops (some kind of corian or similar), but not when trying to apply a very thin line of white powder.

I also read (somewhere on PTV, my addled old brain escapes me), that cinnamon is ant deterrent.  I'm going to try it this year, if the pesky little creatures should make their comeback.

I've tried cinnamon before with varied results.  The biggest problem I had was if it was near any water or steam, it kind of became hard to clean up.  Since I had used it on white trimmed window sills and white tile floor (seams), it was kind of a beacon.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

If it helps, it's not just vegetarians or vegans that get this kind of response.  I don't like coffee, and people always insist I'm wrong.  "Have you tried latte?"  "Have you tried espresso?"  "You'll like my coffee" "You must like kahlua!" and so on.  My dislike of coffee is so strong I don't like coffee ice cream or coffee liqueur or tira misu, etc.  I once had this conversation at a restaurant.

I don't like coffee, tea or sweet tea. I've gotten the craziest looks from some people down here especially when it comes to sweet tea.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I strongly disagree with this approach. There are so many ways to get protein that don't involve those sources and frankly, they aren't required at all. Telling a young lady these are the only ways to get protein can lead to unhealthy habits and food control issues in the blink of an eye. It's much better to encourage diverse options from the start instead of relying heavily on tofu and powders.

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

She does like the full range of fake meat soy products. Fake chicken nuggets and patties, fake meatballs, fake burgers are all regular items in her diet. I try to work in beans, but she's not so into the beans.

I recommend picking up some vegetarian cookbooks and involving your daughter in the meal planning. The Linda McCartney's World of Cooking is one of my favorites with simple yet delicious (and some cheesy) recipes.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Re: food you have always disliked -- Mom's been diabetic for a decade or more, yet Dad repeatedly offers sweets to her. She does occasionally sample desserts, but she chooses to save her carbs for non-sweet items like potatoes, pasta, etc. I have had food allergies since I was a child, yet Dad will offer items to me that I cannot eat, then when I say "I'm allergic," he says, "that's what I thought." I guess he thinks he's being polite by offering to share, but I think it's better manners to not tempt people with food you know they shouldn't eat.

My mom does this to me all the time. Offers me food that will literally kill me, or tells people "Lisin doesn't like shrimp" NO! Lisin can't eat them or her throat will swell up and she'll have to use her EpiPen and hope to not die. She LIKES them just fine MOM. 

• Love 11
(edited)

I am pulling my &^%&%$%$#$@ hair out. I am losing an entire day of proofing this ^%$^%&^^%%$## simply because no one here can be arsed to check their e-mail. Still waiting for this *&%&%$^%^##@# printout. 

EDITED TO ADD: Finally found out that my e-mails regarding this printout were indeed received, and further, that I don't need this printout yet after all (because of other people's stupid errors). Only instead of--oh, I don't know!--replying as such, my ever-responsible coworker simply ignored the messages instead. Sorry, but this situation calls for a hearty fuck you. I have never in my life had to struggle so hard not to get out of doing work, but to do it. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
Assholes. The reason is ASSHOLES.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

but some people will never, ever come to like [tofu]. 

That's me.  And, believe me, tofu is one of those food items people will insist you would like if you just had it X way.  I particularly love the "It doesn't really taste like anything on its own, just what you cook it with" protest.  Um, no.  Of course it takes on the flavors it is prepared with.  So does everything.  For example, chicken.  But, chicken also has a taste all its own.  So does tofu. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's me.  And, believe me, tofu is one of those food items people will insist you would like if you just had it X way.  I particularly love the "It doesn't really taste like anything on its own, just what you cook it with" protest.  Um, no.  Of course it takes on the flavors it is prepared with.  So does everything.  For example, chicken.  But, chicken also has a taste all its own.  So does tofu. 

I suppose my peeve is people who will insist you like food if you only tried it X way. I will only eat tofu if it's in miso soup or is of the extra firm variety in certain dishes because I don't like the texture. By the time we're adults we like what we like. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I suppose my peeve is people who will insist you like food if you only tried it X way. I will only eat tofu if it's in miso soup or is of the extra firm variety in certain dishes because I don't like the texture. By the time we're adults we like what we like. 

I'm a picky eater, but I'll try anything once.  So, if a person insists that I will like food X way, that's fine as long as they actually give me X way to try.  I'm not going to make it on my own if I don't already like it, or at least think there is a good chance I'm going to like it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lisin said:

My mom does this to me all the time. Offers me food that will literally kill me, or tells people "Lisin doesn't like shrimp" NO! Lisin can't eat them or her throat will swell up and she'll have to use her EpiPen and hope to not die. She LIKES them just fine MOM. 

OK, now you're in real trouble with some true crime addicts, who will remember your deathly weakness, hide your epi-pen, & murder you with shellfish.  :-D

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Korean Tofu Hot Pot,  Burns your mouth so damned bad (or good) you can't even tell the texture of tofu after the first sip.  Yummmm.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

now you're in real trouble with some true crime addicts, who will remember your deathly weakness, hide your epi-pen, & murder you with shellfish. 

Death by Scampi

• Love 4
(edited)

I apologize for the off-topicness, but I want to say that I feel better now because I am home and, on the way in, I got to check on our condo duck, who made a nest in the front landscaping and is now sitting on her eggs in there. And, right outside our front door, we have a bird's nest in a tree--like seriously two feet from the door. The other day, her pretty blue eggs hatched and now we have teeny-tiny bird babies to also check in on. They're so delicate and cute when they put up their heads and open their little beaks that I want to cry. I have a video but I don't know how to post it! Oh, and my neighbors hung a sign to warn people to be quiet and respectful when approaching the door, and posted others in the shrubs to keep the landscapers from bothering our duck!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am pulling my &^%&%$%$#$@ hair out. I am losing an entire day of proofing this ^%$^%&^^%%$## simply because no one here can be arsed to check their e-mail. Still waiting for this *&%&%$^%^##@# printout. 

EDITED TO ADD: Finally found out that my e-mails regarding this printout were indeed received, and further, that I don't need this printout yet after all (because of other people's stupid errors). Only instead of--oh, I don't know!--replying as such, my ever-responsible coworker simply ignored the messages instead. Sorry, but this situation calls for a hearty fuck you. I have never in my life had to struggle so hard not to get out of doing work, but to do it. 

I'd say you're handling things well under the circumstances. Question: is your co-worker in the same office? Sometimes, as much as I loathe it, I have to follow up an email with a phone call (hate it) or in person (hate it even more), even if it's just to say, WTF? Or something slightly more professional. 

• Love 3

Oh, I did--that's actually how I found out that there was no need to take action. In my office, it's policy to assume coworkers will somehow absorb information simply because one has thought it and called it a day. For instance, we have a long list of products to be featured in a monthly catalog. Well, that list changes on the whims of the buying department (jerks). Instead of telling the production team (where I am unfortunate enough to work, haha!), they make the changes to the list without highlighting them in some way (because they are lazy and also use Excel not unlike a toddler might). The only way to see what's different is to double-check over 200 rows of info...which is extra fun if you do  the entire thing to find that only two updates were made, and could have easily been typed into a three-second e-mail. Call me crazy but that is not efficient use of anyone's time (but theirs, I guess). 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I apologize for the off-topicness, but I want to say that I feel better now because I am home and on the way in, I got to check on our condo duck, who made a nest in the front landscaping and is now sitting on her eggs in there. And, right outside our front door, we have a bird's nest in a tree--like seriously two feet from the door. The other day, her pretty blue eggs hatched and now we have teeny-tiny bird babies to also check in on. They're so delicate and cute when they put up their heads and open their little beaks that I want to cry. I have a video but I don't know how to post it! Oh, and my neighbors hung a sign to warn people to be quiet and respectful when approaching the door, and posted others in the shrubs to keep the landscapers from bothering our duck!

No video needed here - I fed baby birds for years with a wild bird rescue place, and remember well their HUUUUGE open beaks popping up from their nests on their sticklike transparent fragile little necks.  Totally adorable.

• Love 5