Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

We'll make it a girl's trip weekend. Currently deciding between Nashville, Seattle, and Chicago. We're just indecisive.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I like all those cities.  Have you been to any of them before?  If so, I'd pick someplace new.  It can be hot and humid in Nashville during the summer, but that's the only potential weather issue I can think of in deciding between the three.

I saw him in Nashville in 2019, when I was still in ATL. I was only in Nashville for 24 hours (and I had an ear infection) as I had gotten stuck in the ATL airport for 8 hours. I want to go back but I just can't convince my heart to fly to that part of the country, or have the required layover in ATL.

*In hindsight I should have just got my car from the parking lot and drove but at the time, the delays were just 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there. A plane was in the air, the plane had to turn around. It was absurd. I ended up flying out the next morning.

3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It is very hot and muggy in Chicago in the summer.

Gross. Didn't think of that.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh then come here, by all means. It's glorious here in the summer.

Leaning towards Seattle. It's closer, less humid, 2 of us have never been and the third is excited to play tour guide.

• Like 6

Kids and their ear splitting, shrill screams. I’m at a hockey game tonight (currently it’s intermission) and during the “make noise” graphic on the Jumbotron, most of the kids were screaming so over the top loud I’m pretty sure my ears are still irritated. Same when we played the “robot fight” which was “adults versus kids.” (It was two computer graphic robots having a boxing match on the big screen with the adults being one color and the kids being the other.)’Maybe I’m just getting too old to find sitting by screaming children or no longer find “robot fights” or “find the puck” games entertaining. Of course this is why I don’t have children. Is it necessary to scream like you’re getting murdered?

I am probably giving up my hockey tickets after this season for other reasons (I enjoyed it for a long time but the novelty has kind of worn off), so hopefully I won’t have to worry about this much longer!

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
On 11/26/2023 at 4:38 PM, Gramto6 said:

I always make a grocery list and put it in my vest/coat pocket when I leave home. My peeve is somewhere along the line, either when I pull out my car keys or phone the list jumps out and runs away!! Then I get to the store secure in the fact I have my list and it is nowhere to be found. Maybe I should just write it on my arm/hand  before I leave home????

It's joining mine, @Gramto6.  They're holding hands and running off to enjoy beaches and sunsets and and cocktails in Marbella, with nary a thought of errands to run or dinners to make.

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 10
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

All the ads are now making the screen on my phone jump around  🤬

I gave up posting here last night because the response/lag time was so dreadful.  I could type a complete sentence and wait five seconds before it would appear on screen.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
21 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Kids and their ear splitting, shrill screams.

Last weekend, my best friend and I talked about how, while we certainly don't want to hear children, it's sad we know there are kids on both of our blocks (including right next door, in my case, at least part time [joint custody]) yet we never hear or see them other than as they head from the car to the house, because they never do anything outside.

Cut to yesterday evening, as I went to check on a solar light out front that had not come on, and was greeted by the sound of a kid across the street throwing an epic tantrum on the sidewalk.  I was glad to get back inside, but also had to mentally applaud the performance -- and that of her mom, who waited until the little banshee had to take a big breath and asked "Are you through?"

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • LOL 8
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Duck Duck Go mobile browser (available in your app store) will block intrusive ads. 

I just clicked on their mobile browser and it was called Opera. What's that?  I'm taking my smartphone to Best Buy tomorrow (where I bought  it) to see if anything else is going on.  Even my beloved Classic-Solitaire seems to be dying and its site now says they have all new Solitaires. No way, please!  I gotta have my Classic-Solitaire 😬

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Last weekend, my best friend and I talked about how, while we certainly don't want to hear children, it's sad we know there are kids on both of our blocks (including right next door, in my case, at least part time [joint custody]) yet we never hear or see them other than as they head from the car to the house, because they never do anything outside.

I moved in over the summer and heard kids next door. The family has 2 and they always have people over. I can't hear them when I am inside unless they're out front riding bikes. I love it. 

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just clicked on their mobile browser and it was called Opera. What's that?  I'm taking my smartphone to Best Buy tomorrow (where I bought  it) to see if anything else is going on.  Even my beloved Classic-Solitaire seems to be dying and its site now says they have all new Solitaires. No way, please!  I gotta have my Classic-Solitaire 😬

Opera is browser. Their app and website icon looks like this image.png.9d4a92ddb194444da7f97c1ad78db90f.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Duck Duck Go mobile browser (available in your app store) will block intrusive ads. 

That’s what was happening quite awhile ago forgone this site only. Typing letters wouldn't show for seconds then the page would roll away. Since Duck Duck no issues. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 12/3/2023 at 8:42 AM, Ancaster said:

I gave up posting here last night because the response/lag time was so dreadful.  I could type a complete sentence and wait five seconds before it would appear on screen.

This keeps happening to me. If I hadn't known that other people had the same issue, I'd have thought it was my crappy internet. The page on my ipad, lagged, then refreshed itself, but it kept what I'd started to write.

On kids outside: I never hear them anymore, indoors, but when we've come home at night, we've had to be careful, because we'll suddenly see a group of them walking in the middle of the street, sometimes with a dog. Our nextdoor neighbours who moved in a few years ago, have three kids. One is probably in college now, but they also have family and friends visit a lot, so we see and hear little kids out there. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

That’s what was happening quite awhile ago forgone this site only. Typing letters wouldn't show for seconds then the page would roll away. Since Duck Duck no issues. 

Same here.  I was losing my whole posts, and had a million ads on my screen.  No more.  Not one.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

I'm actually unsure whether this should be in here, the family thread or mental health.  As some of you might know, my son is donor conceived on both sides.  My family knows and they're accepting of it, but my dad doesn't think I should tell him.  This isn't the general accepted practice in both the donor-conceived and adoption world.  Kids are supposed to be told as soon as they're able to understand.  We have (age-appropriate) books about donor embryos/IVF as well as surrogacy and recently, I showed him the ultrasound from the day he was transferred.  It's almost as if he's ashamed that my son is not connected to him genetically.  I've spoken about it in various donor-conceived parenting groups on social media, and have explained that it's not just generational, but cultural.  However, in those groups, I AM shamed for not standing up for myself.  What I was looking for was to get help to find the right language.  I want the world to know, but also realize that bloodlines are important in Confucian-influenced cultures.  These cultures typically have kinship books and some can trace back a few thousand years (I have a condensed copy going back maybe 200.  I know that my dad's line is pretty much made up of scholars who took the Imperial exams or merchants.  I don't know much about anyone on my mom's side except that my grandfather is from a farming family (not sure if there's a kinship book there.  He may have been the first generation to go to school, so the actual family keeping record, but a village scribe/record-keeper).  Obviously, it's near-impossible to trace the women.

What I'm trying to get at is the shaming in these groups come from not understanding/looking beyond a North American/Anglo context (I can't even say that it's "western" since this attitude may apply to various family-focused western cultures like Italy or Spain).  If we're supposed to be diverse and inclusive, we need to know what different cultures view as respect.  It's a peeve of mine that people don't.  Another woman in one of the groups was told that she shouldn't have any more donor conceived children if she thinks her family or in-laws will have that kind of attitude.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

What I was looking for was to get help to find the right language. 

This may be the thing for which there is no solution as bloodlines are clearly so important in your culture, and as you say, there is also a generational issue. The crucial thing, as with most parenting vs. grandparenting issues, is that this is *your son* and you must do what you think is the right thing (and that includes explaining to your father, maybe for the umpteenth time, that this is your child, as much as any child conceived anyhow, and you want him to know how loved and wanted he was, in every way possible). What other people outside your family think and do is extraordinarily non-consequential, n'est pas?

• Like 6

I'm just about pre-diabetic and getting older so I have to start watching it.  Which is apart of life I guess.

It's just that today I bought my lunch meat at the Italian store.  My weakness is sweets.  The Panettone's they were selling this time of year I could almost hear them begging me to devour it down.  Ditto Italian cookies they were selling.  They looked so good.  I was hungry and felt I could have eaten the whole box.

I restrained.  But I don't get a reward unfortunately 

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

I'm just about pre-diabetic and getting older so I have to start watching it.  Which is apart of life I guess.

It's just that today I bought my lunch meat at the Italian store.  My weakness is sweets.  The Panettone's they were selling this time of year I could almost hear them begging me to devour it down.  Ditto Italian cookies they were selling.  They looked so good.  I was hungry and felt I could have eaten the whole box.

I restrained.  But I don't get a reward unfortunately 

Yes, you do: you don't get diabetes! Peeve: Getting older is a bitch, and then you die 😸

• Like 6

I want to thank whomever recommended the DuckDuckGo browser. I have youtube premium free for a few weeks, but I've just started a video on youtube, and it recommended its own ad-free viewer! I don't know why it didn't offer me that on my ipad browser, though, and I've just realized that I'm logged into gmail and youtube on here. oops. But it did offer me the use of its own browser. 

I also had no problem loading in a recipe on someone's page, because it didn't show a lot of videos and pop-ups. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1

Oh, I forgot my peeve: I was watching something on an app, since I'm still recovering from a cold. It stopped playing when I got to episode seven, and when I finally managed to load in the episode list, four or five episodes were missing, and then it continued near the end of the season. I had that happen once before, and I think it was the same app. 

• Sad 3
On 12/3/2023 at 8:17 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I'm taking my smartphone to Best Buy tomorrow (where I bought  it) to see if anything else is going on.  Even my beloved Classic-Solitaire seems to be dying and its site now says they have all new Solitaires. No way, please!  I gotta have my Classic-Solitaire 😬

Well...I thought it had been fixed and my beloved Classic-Solitaire was back. But last night it started acting weird.  Then when I came to this site, the damn ads (like WaWa and alibaba) started jumping around so I disconnected this forum from my phone and will only be here via one of my laptops.  What a PITA. 

• Sad 2
29 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

@annzeepark914 what kind of phone do you have

A Moto G (Motorola).  Simple to use. I've had about 3 and until these weird ads appeared on this forum, I've had no problems with current and previous phones.  I've heard that ad blockers aren't available for android phones (and I'm not switching to another type of phone as I tried Apple for a week and had to return it as it drove me nuts). I've got a small Lenovo laptop that I can take to bed & use (if I wake up and can't get back to sleep for a while) but it's not as easy to use as a phone 😡 I think I'll get a tablet (for Xmas!!)...that would be easier to use.  

• Like 1

@annzeepark914 Are you able to use Norton for your phone to block ads? When the site added the new ad system I downloaded Norton to my IPhone and it has worked completely.

Also, I am curious about your Lenovo. Is it a Chromebook? There are several brands of Chromebooks. I have not had luck with ad blockers on my Chromebook. DuckDuckGo is a joke on it when I tried it. I don’t even like them as a search engine because it does not give very good results. Also not sure if it is just my computer not being compatible but the whole layout looks cartoonish and has to many distracting interactive things going on. Anyway, if you wish to share what adblocker you are using and if it is a Chromebook I am interested if it might be a possible fix for me.

6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well...I thought it had been fixed and my beloved Classic-Solitaire was back. But last night it started acting weird.  Then when I came to this site, the damn ads (like WaWa and alibaba) started jumping around so I disconnected this forum from my phone and will only be here via one of my laptops.  What a PITA. 

I can only use this site while using ad block. Otherwise it’s impossible, too many ads. 

• Like 3

Not sure how much it is used outside of fandom spaces (which is where I see it), but the phrase “screaming, crying, throwing up.” I don’t know why specifically it bothers me because I know no one is actually doing these things when they get excited over something they see on SVU Twitter or whatever. It just seems so…hysterical? Over the top? Like it has a different vibe of annoying that “OMG I can’t wait for this episode!” doesn’t have. It reads as if you are truly hysterical or can barely breathe over whatever Taylor Swift said or did now, and every time I see that phrase I think “OK Becky just relax; it isn’t that serious.”

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
37 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Not sure how much it is used outside of fandom spaces (which is where I see it), but the phrase “screaming, crying, throwing up.” I don’t know why specifically it bothers me because I know no one is actually doing these things when they get excited over something they see on SVU Twitter or whatever. It just seems so…hysterical? Over the top? Like it has a different vibe of annoying that “OMG I can’t wait for this episode!” doesn’t have. It reads as if you are truly hysterical or can barely breathe over whatever Taylor Swift said or did now, and every time I see that phrase I think “OK Becky just relax; it isn’t that serious.”

image.png.b8b240ba8de9e46c8321f37d4b1e8bdb.png

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@annzeepark914 Are you able to use Norton for your phone to block ads? When the site added the new ad system I downloaded Norton to my IPhone and it has worked completely.

Also, I am curious about your Lenovo. Is it a Chromebook? There are several brands of Chromebooks. I have not had luck with ad blockers on my Chromebook. DuckDuckGo is a joke on it when I tried it. I don’t even like them as a search engine because it does not give very good results. Also not sure if it is just my computer not being compatible but the whole layout looks cartoonish and has to many distracting interactive things going on. Anyway, if you wish to share what adblocker you are using and if it is a Chromebook I am interested if it might be a possible fix for me.

I don't have Norton on my phone but it's on my two laptops. My Lenovo is just a small laptop. I have ADblock on my laptops. 

• Like 2

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before (probably by me!), but oh my god, ageism about superficial things (I mean, also about nonsuperficial things, of course, but it's the superficial ones that get under my skin in an "immediate" way). Like you can't wear this or have that hair or talk in this way or be interested in that thing after whatever arbitrary age. OK, so, I am probably not going to have a unicorn-themed birthday party at a movie theater or collect Pokemon, but I am allowed to wear a two-piece to the beach or wear black nail polish or pull my hair into a -- or 2! -- ponytail(s) if I like. I am an adult.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before (probably by me!), but oh my god, ageism about superficial things (I mean, also about nonsuperficial things, of course, but it's the superficial ones that get under my skin in an "immediate" way). Like you can't wear this or have that hair or talk in this way or be interested in that thing after whatever arbitrary age. OK, so, I am probably not going to have a unicorn-themed birthday party at a movie theater or collect Pokemon, but I am allowed to wear a two-piece to the beach or wear black nail polish or pull my hair into a -- or 2! -- ponytail(s) if I like. I am an adult.

The person most guilty of using those arbitrary logics on me is my daughter. I just laugh it off and do what I choose. When she gets to be my age she can make her own choices. FYI My hair to too long for my age (it just hits my shoulders) and I should no longer have highlights (It’s a terrible mousy brown with a bit of gray if I don’t). I won’t even get started on my wardrobe. Well, just one. I am too old to wear jeans. I’m 75 lbs and still look good in them so why not. I’m active and they’re comfortable. 
For fun I’m going to try your two pony tail look around the holidays. 😂

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The person most guilty of using those arbitrary logics on me is my daughter. I just laugh it off and do what I choose. When she gets to be my age she can make her own choices. FYI My hair to too long for my age (it just hits my shoulders) and I should no longer have highlights (It’s a terrible mousy brown with a bit of gray if I don’t). I won’t even get started on my wardrobe. Well, just one. I am too old to wear jeans. I’m 75 lbs and still look good in them so why not. I’m active and they’re comfortable. 
For fun I’m going to try your two pony tail look around the holidays. 😂

I think the "too old for jeans" rule is absurd (I wonder if that pompous windbag George Will still has a problem with jeans?). And I've seen women of all ages highlight their hair, what's the problem? Shoulder length hair sounds fine for pretty much any age. Not everyone likes their hair super short (I like mine short, but that's just me).

I know I have accessories and stuff that are "too young" for me, but I don't care. I'm a hard-working, law-abiding citizen who isn't hurting anyone, and life is too short. Why should kids have all the fun?

• Like 11

Look, I'm not perfect, I have an inner catty fashion cop, I think lots of people do. How do I deal with this? I make a note in my mental Burn Book, and then go about my day, because I know for a fact that other people judge my fashion sense, too, and I ain't changin' for no one. 

• Like 4

Oh, sure -- we all do. But are you basing it on age? Or just on general appallingness, hahahha! Also, saying "I don't like..." or even  "That's hideous..." is way different than "She shouldn't..."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, sure -- we all do. But are you basing it on age? Or just on general appallingness, hahahha!

Mostly appallingness, but if it's based on age, I remind myself of the "age-inappropriate" stuff I have, and that keeps me in check. Either way, people have the ability to keep their yappers shut and keep their judgmental comments to themselves. I don't like being told how to dress, and I would never dictate how others should dress.

Now, I cheerfully confess that I judged the hell out of the late cult leader Gwen Shamblin Lara for wearing a poofy, strapless white wedding dress and body glitter when she married her parasitic new husband Joe Lara when she was 63. I realize that makes me a hypocrite, I own that much, but considering what an awful, awful person she was, I'm willing to wear that scarlet "H" (and it's hard finding colors that go with scarlet, believe you me!).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate the elf on the shelf meme. 

'You've heard of elf on the shelf now see ' two random things that rhyme. 

Stop!  Go away!

What annoys me is that I'm pretty sure Elf on the Shelf has its own expanded universe (or if it doesn't now, it will eventually).

Must everything have an expanded universe and lore?! It's Elf on the Shelf, just let it be Elf on the Shelf!!! I'm too old to keep up with this crap!

• Like 1

Even this one?

I'm sorry! I am almost always with you on this, but this one made me actually laugh. But I especially hate the ones that try to be funny in a racy way -- they're always so cringe-inducing! It's not "ooooh, aren't you so bad!" and it's not clever and it's not funny. It's always the most obvious joke.
image.png.39f7d48cbc9d4243fefdce489a697840.png

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Now, I cheerfully confess that I judged the hell out of the late cult leader Gwen Shamblin Lara for wearing a poofy, strapless white wedding dress and body glitter when she married her parasitic new husband Joe Lara when she was 63.

I would judge the hell out of someone for wearing that no matter what her age.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

FYI My hair to too long for my age

I think this one may be my biggest peeve of the "You're too old for X" sexist, ageist stereotypes, because it's so demonstrably untrue -- there are women rocking gloriously long grey (or dyed) tresses all over the screen these days, so one need not even crawl out of their parents' basement to know that "rule" has long since been debunked.

(I have curly hair that I absolutely hate cut short, so my hair length varies from just dusting my shoulders to halfway down my back [or, in 2021 when I finally had it cut for the first time since the pandemic started, almost touching my butt] and always will.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate the elf on the shelf meme. 

'You've heard of elf on the shelf now see ' two random things that rhyme. 

Stop!  Go away!

But The Lannister on the Bannister is funny

• LOL 8
On 12/7/2023 at 3:28 PM, peacheslatour said:

I never turn my ad block off. Why would you ever do that?

Recently got Ad block, but noticed some sites don’t want you to use it on their site.  They ask you to turn it off.  I won’t, as I’m afraid not knowing how to turn it back on.  Everything is working fine now,so I don’t want to mess things up.  I can’t understand why the Mod didn’t tell me to use an add blocker as it solved all my troubles on this site.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Recently got Ad block, but noticed some sites don’t want you to use it on their site.  They ask you to turn it off.  I won’t, as I’m afraid not knowing how to turn it back on.  Everything is working fine now,so I don’t want to mess things up.  I can’t understand why the Mod didn’t tell me to use an add blocker as it solved all my troubles on this site.

Because this site makes $ from ads 

• Like 7