Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, ABay said:

I got a debit card as a reward for participating i something and it clearly says you can use it like any Visa card but isn't redeemable for cash at an ATM. Well, Amazon wouldn't recognize it and I've had trouble using other temporary debit cards like this in the past. So it really isn't possible to use it like any other Visa card. Wankers.

That's bad when Amazon doesn't even recognize it. Usually that's where people can use those virtual reward cards especially when they're in smaller amounts for Amazon virtual gc's to add their accounts.

Amazon annoys with the putting food items on sale at a good price. They'll end up backordered due to popularity with a sizable estimated delivery date then when said items eventually arrive the best buy date is a week and a half away. Not that I specifically had that happen recently or anything...👀

• Sad 4
  • Useful 1

Our microwave is on the way out. I thought it was, months ago, when it started burning things that it hadn't had an issue with. Now it's starting itself off, when you close the door. If you don't realize, say, because you're wearing headphones that cancel noise, it flashes "door" when you've tried to start cooking something. 

This has been the year of things breaking down (again). myself included. 

• Hugs 5
1 minute ago, Anela said:

Our microwave is on the way out. I thought it was, months ago, when it started burning things that it hadn't had an issue with. Now it's starting itself off, when you close the door. If you don't realize, say, because you're wearing headphones that cancel noise, it flashes "door" when you've tried to start cooking something. 

This has been the year of things breaking down (again). myself included. 

Ughh, microwaves.  The good news is that new ones can be relatively inexpensive.  The bad news is that it's next to impossible to get rid of the old one! (at least where I live)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ughh, microwaves.  The good news is that new ones can be relatively inexpensive.  The bad news is that it's next to impossible to get rid of the old one! (at least where I live)

dad just said they aren't expensive, so that's good, but I was just trying to clean it (I don't know how it got so messy), and there's a hole in the bottom of it. wtf. Not all the way through, but I just don't know how I missed that. So, it's now outside. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

I logged into my email from my parent's computer (to see if my friend has managed to email me back about our Saturday plans yet [no, which is my first peeve]), and, OMG, I think nuclear missiles are launched with less authorization than AT&T required for checking email from a different device!

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
On 11/19/2023 at 5:48 PM, peacheslatour said:

I used to love it when my grandma would take me to lunch. The Rhododenron Room in Fredrick and Nelson. Real silver, linen tablecloths and the best Crab Louis in the world.

Children remember these special times. My sister & I loved going to B. Altman's restaurant, Charleston Gardens, with our grandmother and mother, in White Plains, NY. The parking lot had beautiful gardens and a pond. The store was light and airy and everything was beautifully displayed. Back in those years, my middle name was Hamburger! so that's what I always ordered. I do recall that it was delicious!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Thanksgiving dinner with the family was stressful enough.  Then driving home it seemed like there were many drunk drivers out.  I felt unsafe a few times.

Then I go out driving today and get pulled over by a cop for rolling or not stopping at a stop sign.  He saw my driving record was clean and just gave me a $55 ticket with no points.  My Dad remarked how I'm like the most safe driver he knows.  

I'm going through a weekend where it feels like life just sucks.  

• Hugs 8

Pet Peeve: When I go to the next page on this site it loads at halfway down the first post, so I have to scroll up to the top to see where I am and to be able to read the whole thing.  Anyone else have this?  It drives me mad.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
8 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Pet Peeve: When I go to the next page on this site it loads at halfway down the first post, so I have to scroll up to the top to see where I am and to be able to read the whole thing.  Anyone else have this?  It drives me mad.

Not me, and I don't see it reported yet in the Bugs forum, so you may want to make a report there so the tech folks can troubleshoot.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/22/2023 at 2:49 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Are you in PDX by any chance?  😄  I just moved and my new place has a built in microwave (that I don't like) so I have a spare one (that I do like).  Wait, that's a brand new peeve!

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

If it's not happening to everyone

Very few people report problems, but when someone does, it's not uncommon for others to chime in and collecting the data on OS/device/browser can identify a cause.  So it's worth a shot if you have a moment, and you'll almost always get a response from the ND rep, even if it's just saying they tested but can't replicate the problem.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Very few people report problems, but when someone does, it's not uncommon for others to chime in and collecting the data on OS/device/browser can identify a cause.  So it's worth a shot if you have a moment, and you'll almost always get a response from the ND rep, even if it's just saying they tested but can't replicate the problem.

Duly reported!  I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

• Like 2
On 11/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, SoMuchTV said:

5 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Are you in PDX by any chance?  😄  I just moved and my new place has a built in microwave (that I don't like) so I have a spare one (that I do like).  Wait, that's a brand new peeve!

No (not even sure what/where PDX is, but I'm sure I could Google it).  To be clear, I was trying to get rid of a non-working microwave.  I've seen used but working ones on Freecycle or the like, and I assume they get takers.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

No (not even sure what/where PDX is, but I'm sure I could Google it).  To be clear, I was trying to get rid of a non-working microwave.  I've seen used but working ones on Freecycle or the like, and I assume they get takers.

I'm sorry, I was just being silly.  PDX is the airport code for Portland, Oregon, where I am.  I probably shouldn't post at 4am!

I know that here there are a couple of places that will recycle dead electronics and machines like microwaves or fridges or laptops.  I just googled "recycle dead electronics" and the DEQ website was the first hit, so you might try that and see what they suggest near you.  I think Free Geek also takes broken stuff.

• Like 1

Online recipe reviews.  Looking to make a hearty vegetable soup because it's freezing here today, so I start searching. 

"Great", I think to myself, "this has dozens of 5 star reviews", so I start scrolling and realize a large proportion of those are actually "This looks so good, can't wait to make it" and another large proportion are "I substituted 8 out of the 10 ingredients and it was delicious".

If you didn't make the recipe, as written (maybe a very minor substitution), then shut your pie hole. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, Quof said:

If you didn't make the recipe, as written (maybe a very minor substitution), then shut your pie hole. 

Especially the folks who made the recipe with several substitutions & then gave it one star as "it just wasn't all that good".  Someone said (maybe Ina?) "Make the recipe as written the first time". Then you're in a better position to alter the recipe to your liking. That's what I do, although sometimes I might add a little seasoning (after tasting). If I make a number of changes, I then change the name of the recipe (or note it as "adapted from...").

• Like 4

UGGGGHHHHHHH, I hate, hate hate getting late notices/bills for things I know have been paid. But even more than that, I hate when get them outside of the hours that I can contact someone and straighten it out. It stresses me out so much. In fact, I feel like I would be less stressed if I hadn't paid; I'd simply log into my account and pay it that second.  

ETA: And now I have to add two stupid phone calls to my to-do list for Monday!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1

I just got another bill from Talbots. Called them after receiving the first one and the customer service rep couldn't see why I was being charged for anything.  I could've called yesterday but decided "I'm on vacation this weekend! No stress! No fuss!"  I'll call on Monday 🥵 I'll probably close my account as I no longer find stuff at Talbots that I like. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Who thought up this topic?  Genius.  Genius I tell you.

Latest peeve?  I have an adblocker, so how come every time I open a new screen a little ad for a rival adblocker pops up until I zap before it pisses me off by being there, in the way, annoying, like a pesky little brother.  And then sometimes, like just now   ZAP    it just randomly pops up in a different corner.  How do I get rid of this rival adblocker?

This is the first world problem that I have decided to  engage my brain in to distract it from some real world problems that are threatening to tear me apart.

• Hugs 2
2 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

When I go food shopping and I'm about to leave and I just KNOW somehow I'm forgetting something.  

I get home and forgot to buy Cheerios.  

And I know I know I need to start a grocery list 😀

Happens to the best of us. I am pretty strict about making a grocery list, and I will still forget at least one thing. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

When I go food shopping and I'm about to leave and I just KNOW somehow I'm forgetting something.  

I get home and forgot to buy Cheerios.  

And I know I know I need to start a grocery list 😀

I have several on the go at all times in several places in several forms - paper and pen, phone, knot in the hanky, brain (fat chance with that one, despite memory tricks) - it doesn't always (often) make a huge difference.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Happens to the best of us. I am pretty strict about making a grocery list, and I will still forget at least one thing.

Unless I'm just running in to pick up a couple of things, I always have a grocery list.  But there's still the distinct possibility I forgot to put something on it in the first place, or I overlooked it and left the store without buying.  Clearly I need to start crossing things off my list as I put them in the cart, to at least combat the latter scenario.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 11/25/2023 at 9:01 AM, Quof said:

Looking to make a hearty vegetable soup because it's freezing here today

I ended up making a roasted cauliflower and potato soup, because I had a lot of both, and it had a lot of 5 star reviews 😁.  It's delish.

Now my peeve is that I didn't bake bread to go with it. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I always make a grocery list and put it in my vest/coat pocket when I leave home. My peeve is somewhere along the line, either when I pull out my car keys or phone the list jumps out and runs away!! Then I get to the store secure in the fact I have my list and it is nowhere to be found. Maybe I should just write it on my arm/hand  before I leave home????

• LOL 4
34 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I always make a grocery list and put it in my vest/coat pocket when I leave home. My peeve is somewhere along the line, either when I pull out my car keys or phone the list jumps out and runs away!! Then I get to the store secure in the fact I have my list and it is nowhere to be found. Maybe I should just write it on my arm/hand  before I leave home????

I take a photo of the list!  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
Just now, EtheltoTillie said:

That is a great idea! I used to make my grocery lists in the Notes App, but I didn't like having my phone in my hand all the time, especially during the first wave of Covid. But a photo would be a good last minute check before getting in the checkout line. That way the phone isn't in my hand all the time or set somewhere while I shop.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

21 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My Grocery List Peeve: I have slowly trained (it's taken 2 years) Mr. KittyMom4 to write what he needs on a notepad we keep in the kitchen. I use my store's app to build my list so it's always with me, and I check the paper list daily. I will even ask him "Hey, anything else you need that's not on the list?" Sooooo, when he either doesn't put it on the list or doesn't tell me and I get home and he says "Oh we're out of this item." It takes a lot for me to not put the reuseable grocery bag over his head and tie it in a knot. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 9
23 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have used an app on my phone for my grocery list for years.  Go to the App Store and search for "Grocery List" and you'll get lots to choose from.  Mine was free.

Before I did that, while raising two children by myself who wouldn't tell me when we ran out of stuff, I had a pre-printed one page list that we kept on the refrigerator.  If you used something up, you circled it on the list.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I have used an app on my phone for my grocery list for years.  Go to the App Store and search for "Grocery List" and you'll get lots to choose from.  Mine was free.

Before I did that, while raising two children by myself who wouldn't tell me when we ran out of stuff, I had a pre-printed one page list that we kept on the refrigerator.  If you used something up, you circled it on the list.

My mom's kitchen business used to give out pads of those as a promotion. Only thing is, it was a "map" of the store she shopped at. There were several other large grocers in the area at that time. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Cost of tickets. I’d like to see some concerts/comics but can’t afford to. 

I hear you! Around me the minimum cost for all the music concerts (these are primarily classical music - either chorales or chamber orchestras etc.) is $30.00. I can't afford that plus the gas to get there and sometimes also a parking charge. I don't even go to the movies full price - I wait for a free Tuesday afternoon when my local movie theater has all seats at $5.00, and then only if it is a "must see on the biggest screen possible" kinda movie.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2

I can't remember the last time I went to the movies at night. I love to go to the first show and have most of the mini theater room to myself or ourselves. Even when we were both working, we'd go to the early shows on weekends. It's like having one's own home theater (except you can't wear your jammies and slippers 😁)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I hear you! Around me the minimum cost for all the music concerts (these are primarily classical music - either chorales or chamber orchestras etc.) is $30.00. I can't afford that plus the gas to get there and sometimes also a parking charge. I don't even go to the movies full price - I wait for a free Tuesday afternoon when my local movie theater has all seats at $5.00, and then only if it is a "must see on the biggest screen possible" kinda movie.

For me it’s $100-200 for cheap seats. If I find something for $50 I’m thrilled!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't remember the last time I went to the movies at night. I love to go to the first show and have most of the mini theater room to myself or ourselves. Even when we were both working, we'd go to the early shows on weekends. It's like having one's own home theater (except you can't wear your jammies and slippers 😁)

Tuesdays are $7 so if I go it’s then. Both Regal and AMC do the $7 Tuesdays.

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

we'd go to the early shows on weekends. It's like having one's own home theater (except you can't wear your jammies and slippers 😁)

Why not?  People wear their pajamas and slippers out in public all the time, and I've seen several bring blankets to movie theaters.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
47 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Why not?  People wear their pajamas and slippers out in public all the time, and I've seen several bring blankets to movie theaters.

My parents wouldn't even let me wear pajamas at the drive-in. They thought it was tacky.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

In the late 90s and early naughts when I was an undergrad, I'd see some kids wear PJ bottoms to class.  I'd just roll my eyes.  I'm wasn't and still am not a fan of casualization like this.  Catholic elementary schools around here got rid of uniforms in the 80s and 90s, but has since brought them back (unlike high school, they just need to wear certain colours and all elementary schools basically have the same "uniform) because kids were going too far (especially in middle grades)!  At my son's school, kindergarten kids can wear their gym uniform every day, not just days they have gym.  However, my son chooses to wear the elementary uniform (which is much more casual than the old days - polo shirt and khakis/dress pants) on days he's not in phys. ed.

• Like 5

Some people always take things too far. Give 'em an inch & they'll take a mile. I remember seeing some young men on a flight from Dulles to Flint (or was it Cleveland to Flint ??) wearing flannel plaid "pants"...back in maybe 2008. I knew they were wearing jammies. Gee... remember when people got dressed up to fly somewhere? 

P.S. But I wouldn't want to be dressed up and crammed into a miserable seat today!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Peeve: romanticizing misogyny, control, and abuse.

Lightheaded peeve: my favorite artist is touring next summer but not here. Traveling to a show or two is not a problem but I can't decide which ones to go to! So many choices! So little PTO!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Lightheaded peeve: my favorite artist is touring next summer but not here. Traveling to a show or two is not a problem but I can't decide which ones to go to! So many choices! So little PTO!

I would either go with a city you always wanted to visit and make it a whole trip or whichever city you can take a direct flight to from your home airport.  I say this as someone who has one option for an easy direct flight.  Anywhere else and I have to either connect in Charlotte or drive a little over an hour and pray that airport has a direct flight to my final destination at a reasonable time.  Most of the time I end up driving to my final destination because flying only saves an hour or two.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would either go with a city you always wanted to visit and make it a whole trip or whichever city you can take a direct flight to from your home airport.  I say this as someone who has one option for an easy direct flight.  Anywhere else and I have to either connect in Charlotte or drive a little over an hour and pray that airport has a direct flight to my final destination at a reasonable time.  Most of the time I end up driving to my final destination because flying only saves an hour or two.  

We'll make it a girl's trip weekend. Currently deciding between Nashville, Seattle, and Chicago. We're just indecisive.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

We'll make it a girl's trip weekend. Currently deciding between Nashville, Seattle, and Chicago. We're just indecisive.

I like all those cities.  Have you been to any of them before?  If so, I'd pick someplace new.  It can be hot and humid in Nashville during the summer, but that's the only potential weather issue I can think of in deciding between the three.

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: romanticizing misogyny, control, and abuse.

Annie Potts Work GIF by HULU

(I wanted Suzanne Sugarbaker saying "Amen and hallelujah to that" but had to settle for some of the other Designing Women clapping.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm in Seattle and it's been really cold and rainy here. Best time to come is from May to October.  I used to live in Chicago and I bet it's really cold there too. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm in Seattle and it's been really cold and rainy here. Best time to come is from May to October.  I used to live in Chicago and I bet it's really cold there too. 

The tour is next summer.

• Useful 1