Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

Ugh!  There are some extremely rude people on FB Marketplace!  My husband was selling some cars that were used in the local demolition derby in which he and his brother used to compete, and when one of the interested parties did not like the price that he was asking, they told him he looked like a "Chester" and to go take a ride in his van.  Mr. Bones did not understand, until I regrettably informed him that the immature asshole was telling him he looked like a sex offender ("Chester the molester").  So rude!  I cannot imagine saying that to a stranger on the internet, rather than just saying "No thanks, not for that price..."  Totally rude and uncalled for!  

This country has gotten so rude over the past 15 years. Is it all the fault of social media?

• Applause 4

There is a specific poster on another site I use that really gets on my last nerve.  He has more often than not snarky replies to most things I say and will treat me as an inferior piece of shit.  I’d rather he just shout me down and call me an asshole.  He has snarky replies to another friend on that site.  I certainly respect people with different views than me but I guess there are just some people you aren’t going to like.  

Just a vile person.  

This site is a baseball fan site and even though we root for the same team for sure there will be a silver lining tonight if this team loses for hopefully a certain amount of pain he feels

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

There is a specific poster on another site I use that really gets on my last nerve.  He has more often than not snarky replies to most things I say and will treat me as an inferior piece of shit.  I’d rather he just shout me down and call me an asshole.  He has snarky replies to another friend on that site.  I certainly respect people with different views than me but I guess there are just some people you aren’t going to like.  

Just a vile person.  

This site is a baseball fan site and even though we root for the same team for sure there will be a silver lining tonight if this team loses for hopefully a certain amount of pain he feels

image.png.91ecd55d85461dadc5986661e248e5c5.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

This country has gotten so rude over the past 15 years. Is it all the fault of social media?

12 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Just a vile person.  

SM sure doesn't help in regard to people being assholes.  That is why I love this site.  Every now and then you can get a reply that is a little more snarky than you'd hoped for, but--for the most part--posters here are nice!  It's fine to have an opinion, but people on Tiktok for instance are just looking for a fight half the time.  I had to block someone yesterday because they would not let up on me for a simple comment that I made in passing about an actor!  I told them I was not interested in arguing with a stranger on the internet (probably a child!), and to please move on, and they would not let it go.  

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

One site that finally got a hold of their out-of- control posters is Yahoo. I was glad that my username consisted of just initials & a few numbers so that the nasty characters didn't know I was female. They were vile to women. Now, they monitor the comments. I rarely go there now but am glad for the monitors when I do.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It's probably just as rude as its always been; we just see more of the rudeness now, due to an increase in outlets through which people can express it. Plus, it's generally the rude behavior and events that collect in one's memory, more so than nonrudeness -- for instance, the 6 or 7 other FB Marketplace people I contacted ranged from perfectly normal to super-nice, but they didn't inspire me to tell other people about them, if that makes sense. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
7 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Don't worry, it's an international problem (not that that makes it better, but you're not alone in it 😉).

I really started noticing it during the pandemic.  A time that should have united people instead made it all too clear which people you really wanted to avoid!

• Like 4

It took me a while to really notice it, but I think a lot of the internet polarisation started or at least got much worse around 2014-2015. There were quite a few things happening in politics at the time and nobody will convince me that it wasn't linked to that. And by now it seems to have taken a life on its own.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I do have a snapshot in time that lives in my head. I remember the exact TV show that brought me to TWoP, and that was 2004. Those forums had moderators in place because they wanted people to be able to express their thoughts without other people being jerks.

So yeah, it's been at least 20 years since people have been given free reign to insult other people with no consequences. It's been even longer since people started to believe that stuff should just be free, and it's totally okay to just go ahead and take stuff you didn't pay for. (That's another thing that came with the internet and the lack of any real consequences for essentially stealing music and entertainment.) 

It's not a big shock to me that people have started getting a little too confident about talking to people in person the way they talk to them on the internet. We've been getting accustomed to the death of civility for two decades.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Pet peeve of the day - commercials for insurance that are aimed at younger people encouraging them to get insurance to "provide for loved ones and for final expenses" and showing these happy smiling people giddy at the thought that their "loved ones" will cash in upon their demise.  It's particularly creepy with the young mother changing her baby and thinking with a big grin on her face "golly if I kick the bucket little missie here is on easy street".  I mean they do get that if someone is cashing in the insurance policy it will not be them don't they?

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
18 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Pet peeve of the day - commercials for insurance that are aimed at younger people encouraging them to get insurance to "provide for loved ones and for final expenses" and showing these happy smiling people giddy at the thought that their "loved ones" will cash in upon their demise.  It's particularly creepy with the young mother changing her baby and thinking with a big grin on her face "golly if I kick the bucket little missie here is on easy street".  I mean they do get that if someone is cashing in the insurance policy it will not be them don't they?

I've had a couple of ads for funeral planning, in the past, and recently had someone request to follow me, that was selling some sort of insurance to take care of loved ones. I want to know what they think they know, that I don't. I'm not even a senior citizen yet, and I have no children. I have a long-term health issue, and dental stuff, but am otherwise okay. 

On 9/28/2023 at 1:27 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I do have a snapshot in time that lives in my head. I remember the exact TV show that brought me to TWoP, and that was 2004. Those forums had moderators in place because they wanted people to be able to express their thoughts without other people being jerks.

So yeah, it's been at least 20 years since people have been given free reign to insult other people with no consequences. It's been even longer since people started to believe that stuff should just be free, and it's totally okay to just go ahead and take stuff you didn't pay for. (That's another thing that came with the internet and the lack of any real consequences for essentially stealing music and entertainment.) 

It's not a big shock to me that people have started getting a little too confident about talking to people in person the way they talk to them on the internet. We've been getting accustomed to the death of civility for two decades.

I can remember people being rude, long before the internet. I don't understand it when people blame social media. I might be more flip, or have more time to write something out, concerning anything that might be contentious, like politics, but I wouldn't say anything that I wouldn't say in person. If I'm upset enough to say something, it will come out in person, too. Otherwise, I'm extremely shy. 

• Like 2
On 9/28/2023 at 9:35 AM, annzeepark914 said:

One site that finally got a hold of their out-of- control posters is Yahoo. I was glad that my username consisted of just initials & a few numbers so that the nasty characters didn't know I was female. They were vile to women. Now, they monitor the comments. I rarely go there now but am glad for the monitors when I do.

This is one area in which I can see the internet making something worse. I don't know if I can talk about the people who immediately came to mind, though. Not politicians, but they're... not so nice people. Andrew Tate is one.

A week ago, some awful streamers did something that was all over twitter, and they would have been banned on the streaming sites that did ban one of them in the past. Except this newer one is paying millions of dollars to some really gross people, because they bring in the viewers. I don't know if someone like Howard Stern would be comparable. 

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, Anela said:

but I wouldn't say anything that I wouldn't say in person

I think that's what I'm seeing. It feels like a very large percentage of people discovered that they feel super comfortable saying things to people on the internet that they would have never said to somebody in person. 

And now that we're about thirty years into it, a lot of people are just used to saying whatever they're thinking without consequence.

George Carlin did a great bit about it a very long time ago. The key line was "The amount of an a-hole a person is, is directly proportional to the distance they are away from you at the time you discover this flaw."

Meaning, you're willing to loudly call somebody on TV that name, but if they're right next to you on line at the store, you say it very quietly.  These days, it feels like that's not as true as it used to be.

• Like 9
On 9/27/2023 at 7:56 PM, BlueSkies said:

Just a vile person.  

I've been dealing with a bit of that, from someone on facebook. We've never been best friends, but I thought we were okay. When I was in a really dark place this Spring, she just started in on me. Started kicking me when I was down, and being really passive-aggressive. So, I snoozed her, thinking maybe she'd get over it - I was thinking about shutting everything down, anyway - but she's still doing it. We have somewhat different politics, and I think she's shifted more into things I don't agree with. So, I just snooze and ignore, until she decides she's had enough. 

It doesn't happen much, but it's happened too often in the last few years. Just people suddenly being shitty, and acting totally different. 

Just now, JTMacc99 said:

I think that's what I'm seeing. It feels like a very large percentage of people discovered that they feel super comfortable saying things to people on the internet that they would have never said to somebody in person. 

And now that we're about thirty years into it, a lot of people are just used to saying whatever they're thinking without consequence.

George Carlin did a great bit about it a very long time ago. The key line was "The amount of an a-hole a person is, is directly proportional to the distance they are away from you at the time you discover this flaw."

Meaning, you're willing to loudly call somebody on TV that name, but if they're right next to you on line at the store, you say it very quietly.  These days, it feels like that's not as true as it used to be.

I try not to be an asshole. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Anela said:

I've been dealing with a bit of that, from someone on facebook. We've never been best friends, but I thought we were okay. When I was in a really dark place this Spring, she just started in on me. Started kicking me when I was down, and being really passive-aggressive. So, I snoozed her, thinking maybe she'd get over it - I was thinking about shutting everything down, anyway - but she's still doing it. We have somewhat different politics, and I think she's shifted more into things I don't agree with. So, I just snooze and ignore, until she decides she's had enough. 

It doesn't happen much, but it's happened too often in the last few years. Just people suddenly being shitty, and acting totally different. 

Around seven years ago, I went ahead and changed the settings in Facebook for a certain group of friends.  You can set it up so that you do not have to see their posts without unfriending them.  They can still like and comment on the posts I choose to allow them to see.  Makes using the service easier even if the FB algorithm has since made the app virtually unusable.  

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Around seven years ago, I went ahead and changed the settings in Facebook for a certain group of friends.  You can set it up so that you do not have to see their posts without unfriending them. 

The ignore for 30 days feature is all that keeps me on FB.  I would miss it as it's my conduit to Candy Crush (my not so secret addiction) and it's become my family's go to way to message each other- but that said if I couldn't put some of my cousins on ignore I'd eventually say something to one of them that I'd probably regret!

• Like 3
On 9/27/2023 at 4:51 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I think so.  But they don't often THINK they're rude.  We've come to a point that it's an "anything goes" culture, at least on this side of the Earth.  Texting in the middle of the sidewalk is not proper phone etiquette, but that person doesn't care.  Neither does the person who talks on the phone on speaker (both are peeves of mine.  I seriously don't know which one I hate more).  

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Neither does the person who talks on the phone on speaker (both are peeves of mine.  I seriously don't know which one I hate more).  

What I hate are the people watching a movie or playing a game on their phone/Ipad/whatever at full blast out in public.  What happened to earphones?

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

What I hate are the people watching a movie or playing a game on their phone/Ipad/whatever at full blast out in public.  What happened to earphones?

Right?!? Too many people at my job watch or listen to things on their phones without earphones, and it drives me up the wall. One guy was (I shit you not) listening to the song "Afternoon Delight" at a high volume without so much as a twinge of embarrassment! 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Right?!? Too many people at my job watch or listen to things on their phones without earphones, and it drives me up the wall. One guy was (I shit you not) listening to the song "Afternoon Delight" at a high volume without so much as a twinge of embarrassment! 

Well, that's one way to get a visit from HR.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
On 9/29/2023 at 2:19 PM, Anela said:

I'm probably not even going to go back to that website even to lurk.  That makes me want to blow a fuse even then.  

Yeah some people or places I guess you got to acknowledge are bad fits for certain times 

• Like 4
On 9/29/2023 at 2:18 PM, JTMacc99 said:

What I've noticed in the last few days is that on a FB group I belong to devoted to a certain writer a few of the participants have basically "taken off the gloves" and are bickering over things in  away that just wouldn't have happened a few months ago.  It's not at the mod must intervene point yet but today it came pretty close.  The weird part is this group doesn't have the anonymity that so many hide behind on the Internet -  I mean we know each others home addresses and exchange cards, books etc.  

It's as you say, things they might have said to themselves a few months ago, they now feel comfortable saying out loud, so to speak.  I don't know what's happened but it's making going there very uncomfortable.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1

I always loved Math and numbers because it was an exact science.  It’s not like other topics where there isn’t a right or wrong answer.

But today people just seem increasingly smug when it comes to analytics and what not.  Like yeah I know all about analytics so therefore you’re opinion is useless and I could use my analytics to respond to you and predict your behavior 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1

In regard to rudeness, I had job back in the 90s which involved for a long time answering the phone at a well known performing arts organization and I became convinced then that people were willing to be much more rude over the phone than in person.  I once told a caller if he didn't stop yelling I would hang up - he actually calmed down but of course you couldn't do that to a VIP!

In regard to Facebook, some of my family members go there but I almost never do anymore.  One thing I find creepy about it in addition to all the rudeness and conspiracy theories is that I got at least one "friend request" supposedly from a cousin which he says he never sent to me!  It included some comment to the effect of "I have something to share with you" which I knew didn't sound like him at all.

It makes you wonder....

• Like 1
12 hours ago, roseha said:

One thing I find creepy about it in addition to all the rudeness and conspiracy theories is that I got at least one "friend request" supposedly from a cousin which he says he never sent to me!  It included some comment to the effect of "I have something to share with you" which I knew didn't sound like him at all.

It makes you wonder....

Wonder if his account was impersonated? It sure sounds like it was. Best for you, and him (and anyone else who received the bogus request) to report the account.

• Like 4
On 9/29/2023 at 2:19 PM, Anela said:

Block that person 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, roseha said:

In regard to Facebook, some of my family members go there but I almost never do anymore.  One thing I find creepy about it in addition to all the rudeness and conspiracy theories is that I got at least one "friend request" supposedly from a cousin which he says he never sent to me!  It included some comment to the effect of "I have something to share with you" which I knew didn't sound like him at all.

It makes you wonder....

Your cousin’s account was hacked. They need to change their password.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

2 things bothering me today:

An increasing amount of cars with extremely noisy mufflers.  I admit I have very sensitive hearing but that should be illegal.

People who criticize you but dont actually offer you help or guidance on how to get better 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

1 minute ago, roseha said:

I agree @ginger90 it's possible and in fact alerted him to that possibility by email but I'm not sure he took it seriously.  It seems odd to me that his account would be hacked since I don't believe he's active there.

@EtheltoTillie thanks for the info on the Facebook "share" spam.  I hadn't seen it elsewhere.

Edited by roseha
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I have seen this happen, but the account wasn’t technically hacked. Someone set up an account with the same name and photo (which I suppose they could easily copy from the real account). I never have figured out what the actual scam was, though. There must be something they’re gaining from it, but for the life of me I don’t know what it is. 

• Useful 2
32 minutes ago, roseha said:

it's possible and in fact alerted him to that possibility by email but I'm not sure he took it seriously.  It seems odd to me that his account would be hacked since I don't believe he's active there.

He doesn't need to be active. His account was either hacked and had photos lifted to create an imposter account, or isn't locked down correctly and photos were lifted to create an imposter account, or they only took his profile picture to create he imposter account.

25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I never have figured out what the actual scam was, though. There must be something they’re gaining from it, but for the life of me I don’t know what it is. 

Obtaining personal information once they have access (via the acceptance of the friend request) for nefarious use.

• Like 2

A crossover with the family thread:

When my mom says “I wish you would meet someone. Not to marry them but just someone to have dinner with or travel with.” She means well but I don’t know what will get her to accept that I’m 95% happy being single, and I wish that when I was going through a rough patch, she’d stop thinking that finding a “companion” or another romantic connection will fix it at all.

(The 95% happy comes from the fact that I really do like being single mostly but just hate it at certain times when couplehood is emphasized, like having a plus-one to slow dance with at weddings or holidays when I’m home alone after family gatherings and nearly everyone else I know is cuddled up with an SO. But on a typical Monday night after work when I’m eating what I want for dinner? Yeah, don’t care then that I’m single.) 

Of course, my mom also thinks that because a single man talks to me or thinks I’m pretty without ever approaching me to say so, I need to talk to him or “just give him a chance” even if he seems weird or like he’s completely lacking in dating etiquette or social skills. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 5
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

When my mom says “I wish you would meet someone. Not to marry them but just someone to have dinner with or travel with.”

Is she unaware one doesn't need a companion for those things?  Or that it doesn't have to be a romantic partner even if one wants a companion for them?  The pressure on women to find a man, in some capacity, is still so ridiculously unrelenting.  It really sucks when your own mom is a specific, obviously very personal, part of that societal influence; I'm sorry to read you are subjected to that.

As for personal preferences, I mostly cook, so it's nice to treat myself to a break where other people do all the work; as something of an occasion, I prefer dining out with someone to doing so alone, since eating and drinking are a great backdrop for catching up.  But it's no problem for me to go alone if I get a craving and no one - whether or not they possess a penis - is available.  Travel, I generally prefer doing alone.  A long weekend with someone can be great, but for a proper trip I have more fun if I don't have to account for someone else's interests and schedule.

• Like 7

I’m going on a cruise by myself next year. It’s so worth it to me (I also went on a solo cruise before COVID) to have a week alone without the demands of work and getting to do what I want when I want. Not to mention solo cruising has gotten more popular in recent years and plenty of women (and some men, I’m sure) do it. There’s too much to do on a cruise anyway to dwell on how you’re by yourself.

I understand why finding a partner is a big deal for some people but I still feel like we make weddings out to be a way bigger event than the marriage itself. It’s all become a day to see how many social media trends you can fit in to show off on Facebook, and how much you can flaunt your ring and remind everyone that you’re married afterwards. I remember a friend of mine got married a few years ago and posted 200+ photos on Facebook, and I just remember thinking “in 10 years are you really going to look at the picture of the church organist’s back or the champagne glasses at the reception? Or the stairs at your venue?” 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 6
9 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I’m going on a cruise by myself next year. It’s so worth it to me (I also went on a solo cruise before COVID) to have a week alone without the demands of work and getting to do what I want when I want. Not to mention solo cruising has gotten more popular in recent years and plenty of women (and some men, I’m sure) do it. There’s too much to do on a cruise anyway to dwell on how you’re by yourself.

I understand why finding a partner is a big deal for some people but I still feel like we make weddings out to be a way bigger event than the marriage itself. It’s all become a day to see how many social media trends you can fit in to show off on Facebook, and how much you can flaunt your ring and remind everyone that you’re married afterwards. I remember a friend of mine got married a few years ago and posted 200+ photos on Facebook, and I just remember thinking “in 10 years are you really going to look at the picture of the church organist’s back or the champagne glasses at the reception? Or the stairs at your venue?” 

No haha I doubt she will look at the pics 5 years from the wedding.

Enjoy your cruise!

42 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I’m going on a cruise by myself next year.

What’s your destination?

The closest to a cruise for me has been the Staten Island ferry. It was .10, .25, and then .50. Now it’s free. 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

A solo cruise sounds like fun!  I've never been on one.  I'm debating whether to do a family (i.e. Disney) cruise some time before the little guy is too old.  But he's also not that into Disney stuff.  

ETA on parents setting their children up:  I feel like it's a cultural and generational thing.  Half the time the people they suggest, like @Cloud9Shopper said have zero dating etiquette.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

A solo cruise sounds like fun!  I've never been on one.  I'm debating whether to do a family (i.e. Disney) cruise some time before the little guy is too old.  But he's also not that into Disney stuff.  

ETA on parents setting their children up:  I feel like it's a cultural and generational thing.  Half the time the people they suggest, like @Cloud9Shopper said have zero dating etiquette.

Do you have dinner trains there? We used to take our son on the dinner train because he was crazy about trains when he was a little guy.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/29/2023 at 2:08 PM, Anela said:

I don't know if someone like Howard Stern would be comparable. 

For what it’s worth — probably nothing really, as it’s just an opinion, Howard is a an awesome person. People with a similar mindsets to that of Andrew Tate probably hate Howard. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I did a 17 day Princess cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back in June and it was absolutely wonderful in every respect. Took my son, splurged on balcony cabins for each of us, and as we both have the same general ideas of schedule and fun, we both enjoyed ourselves immensely. I've never been on a cruise before and now I have a peeve: Cruises seem to be popularly perceived as rowdy, eat-all-you-can, drink-all-you-can, pollute the ocean, -athons. And maybe some are, but Princess at least takes a lot of trouble to be as "green" as possible (and you avoid taking a jet so there is that "carbon offset") and although there were a number of children on board, there was total civility at all times. I had not gone before because of the bad stuff I had read, but now I'm thinking about another one, very soon!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

For what it’s worth — probably nothing really, as it’s just an opinion, Howard is a an awesome person. People with a similar mindsets to that of Andrew Tate probably hate Howard. 

Howard has grown up quite a bit in later years.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1