Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My lawn mower is driving me insane.  A few weeks ago, I couldn't get it to start.  Turns out mice had gotten into it and gnawed on some wires, causing it to short out.  I got that fixed, but today, it wouldn't turn off!  When I finished with it, I released all the handles and levers as I usually do, and it just sat there and idled.  The blade was even still turning.  I could completely walk away from it!  I finally realized I could close a valve on the fuel line and block that, and the stupid thing stopped when it couldn't get gas anymore.  

I don't know whether to try to get it fixed now or just wait until I take it for its usual Fall service in November.

Separate, but related peeve -- the stupid mice getting into my shed and nesting in my lawnmower, plus the smelly stuff that's supposed to keep mice away, but apparently does not work!

I have a few cats that will take care of your mouse problem!!! LOL! 😁

Since my colonies developed my mouse problem is gone and so is my neighbor's! These guys are great mousers!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I have a few cats that will take care of your mouse problem!!! LOL! 😁

Since my colonies developed my mouse problem is gone and so is my neighbor's! These guys are great mousers!

I had a loooong talk with my stash of cats when I watched a mouse walk by in my kitchen several months ago. 

It is unreal how quickly cats multiply. A very demanding of attention fluffy cat showed up and six weeks later there were five kittens. Three months later there were five more from her. At the six month mark I took them to be fixed and she was pregnant again. One of the kittens had five. So in the space of less than a year I had almost twenty cats. It has pared down through nature to five tame cats now. But they are crazy. Every morning they are up high in the tall fifty year old crepe myrtle tree. When I first saw them doing that I thought mistletoe balls had sprouted up there. 

• Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

When everything in my house is falling apart at the same time. I’m still paying off an air conditioner (needed a second unit when I moved to the house, as I’d only lived in one-bedroom apartments before), and with two payments left, I am also in need of a new personal laptop, a dresser and now my microwave is starting to go. It stops heating in the middle of cooking time and only starts again when I open and close the door a few times. 

Can’t I just like double my salary to afford all of this now? Well, except at least microwaves aren’t super expensive these days. I’ve had it for three years. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 7

My no brand microwave is probably 15 years old. 

Can you ask online if anyone can give you a laptop for free? 

5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

When everything in my house is falling apart at the same time. I’m still paying off an air conditioner (needed a second unit when I moved to the house, as I’d only lived in one-bedroom apartments before), and with two payments left, I am also in need of a new personal laptop, a dresser and now my microwave is starting to go. It stops heating in the middle of cooking time and only starts again when I open and close the door a few times. 

Can’t I just like double my salary to afford all of this now? Well, except at least microwaves aren’t super expensive these days. I’ve had it for three years. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

When everything in my house is falling apart at the same time.

Ugh, yes.  My appliances love to make suicide pacts.  My record thus far is the weekend I spent fixing three of them.  Usually it's a scenario where okay, this needs to be fixed now and then this can wait a while and there's a workaround for that one ... but, nope, that time everything was time sensitive.

On Sunday I went out to the mini refrigerator/ice-maker in my game room to get ice for my Bloody Marys, as I had forgotten to fill ice cube trays the night before (the kitchen refrigerator has no ice-maker) -- opened the door to darkness and room temperature.  Thankfully, it's the breaker that died, not the fridge, so that's exponentially cheaper to deal with, I'm just not in the mood to deal with it this week.  I pulled it out, got an extension cord, and plugged it in to an outlet on another circuit.  (But the ice had melted, so no Bloody Marys, boo.  [Yes, I know - first world problem at its finest.]) 

Edited by Bastet
  • Sad 5
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, yes.  My appliances love to make suicide pacts.  My record thus far is the weekend I spent fixing three of them.  Usually it's a scenario where okay, this needs to be fixed now and then this can wait a while and there's a workaround for that one ... but, nope, that time everything was time sensitive.

On Sunday I went out to the mini refrigerator/ice-maker in my game room to get ice for my Bloody Marys, as I had forgotten to fill ice cube trays the night before (the kitchen refrigerator has no ice-maker) -- opened the door to darkness and room temperature.  Thankfully, it's the breaker that died, not the fridge, so that's exponentially cheaper to deal with, I'm just not in the mood to deal with it this week.  I pulled it out, got an extension cord, and plugged it in to an outlet on another circuit.  (But the ice had melted, so no Bloody Marys, boo.  [Yes, I know - first world problem at its finest.]) 

No Bloody Marys is a crisis, not a first world problem especially because you have no ice.  I need ice in my drinks including water.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

No Bloody Marys is a crisis,

And on a football Sunday, no less!

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I need ice in my drinks including water.

I can drink water at room temperature, no problem, although I prefer it chilled.  Liquor I like on the rocks, but I'll do a shot neat.  A Bloody Mary, though, or any mixed drink -- ice!  I'll roll with it in Europe, but to not have it in my own home, bah.   

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yes, but I also have bird feeders, and birds that nest in my yard, so no outside cats here, please!  I love seeing the young birds learning what is food and what isn’t.

I used to have bird feeders too, but. stopped feeding when the cats started multiplying.  I do still have quite a few that come for the seeds from the grasses, but they have learned to be fast about eating!

14 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

14 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

It is unreal how quickly cats multiply. A very demanding of attention fluffy cat showed up and six weeks later there were five kittens. Three months later there were five more from her. At the six month mark I took them to be fixed and she was pregnant again. One of the kittens had five. So in the space of less than a year I had almost twenty cats. It has pared down through nature to five tame cats now. But they are crazy. Every morning they are up high in the tall fifty year old crepe myrtle tree. When I first saw them doing that I thought mistletoe balls had sprouted up there. 

Yep they really do multiply quickly! When I was having them all fixed there were3-4 nursing moms so they did the spay but left them so they could still nurse.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I used to have bird feeders too, but. stopped feeding when the cats started multiplying.  I do still have quite a few that come for the seeds from the grasses, but they have learned to be fast about eating!

Yep they really do multiply quickly! When I was having them all fixed there were3-4 nursing moms so they did the spay but left them so they could still nurse.

I think what you're doing is a public and humanitarian service. It's admirable. Thank you for your kindness. 💖

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, yes.  My appliances love to make suicide pacts. 

Heh. Keep them away from my appliances as my dryer decided it was going to start making the same sound Star Wars TIE fighters make about three weeks ago. 

I decided to let Lowe's do the installation rather than doing it myself. They had a full rebate on the install (a Lowe's gift card, but whatever, I'll use it on garden stuff that I was going to buy anyway) AND when you have the work done here in NY, the state considers it a capital improvement so I save the 8.13% sales tax. 

First installation date was scheduled to be this past Monday, but the installer texted me that morning to say that he's got van issues and will need to reschedule. Lowe's then checked in with me yesterday and said next available appointment will be October 4th.

Sigh... I mean, I know it's a gas dryer, and I should probably let the expert do the installation. And I really don't want to be the one doing all the heavy lifting, and I can go either way with the rebate on the install. But I still could just tell them to deliver the damn thing tomorrow and I'll hook it up. However what's really making me put up with this LONG time between purchase and install is the sales tax. I have no interest in giving that money back.

• Hugs 2

I can't have a washer either, I live in a 1927 prewar building in Manhattan and my super - who is a really nice guy - told me that they just would worry too much about the plumbing.  I believe them, I have at least twice had bad kitchen floods which the handyman and I thought came from the dishwasher, but which actually came from a tiny hole in the ancient pipes.   I got coop insurance after having the kitchen flooded and having to compensate the person living below me.

During Covid I did buy a Laundry Alternative Spin Dryer which spins your clothes 90 percent dry, you would just have to find a way to hand wash first (I used a large bucket in the tub).  I prefer to use the laundry room generally but it works in a pinch.

But yes, my kingdom for a real washer dryer.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, roseha said:

I can't have a washer either, I live in a 1927 prewar building in Manhattan and my super - who is a really nice guy - told me that they just would worry too much about the plumbing.  I believe them, I have at least twice had bad kitchen floods which the handyman and I thought came from the dishwasher, but which actually came from a tiny hole in the ancient pipes.   I got coop insurance after having the kitchen flooded and having to compensate the person living below me.

During Covid I did buy a Laundry Alternative Spin Dryer which spins your clothes 90 percent dry, you would just have to find a way to hand wash first (I used a large bucket in the tub).  I prefer to use the laundry room generally but it works in a pinch.

But yes, my kingdom for a real washer dryer.

I’m in a 1925 prewar coop, and I do have a washer and a gas dryer, a “legal” setup. That was a deal breaker for me when we were looking to buy. Some buildings wouldn’t allow them because they’re worried about the plumbing same as yours. I passed on a couple of nice apartments because of that. 

• Like 3

A blood test revealed I am just about a pre-diabetic.  Ugh.  The condition runs in my family.

I feel like this is the start of having to make conscious efforts of what exactly I'm eating.  Breads, donuts, and soft pretzels were my prior weak spots 

• Hugs 8
On 9/23/2023 at 2:15 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I’m in a 1925 prewar coop, and I do have a washer and a gas dryer, a “legal” setup. That was a deal breaker for me when we were looking to buy. Some buildings wouldn’t allow them because they’re worried about the plumbing same as yours. I passed on a couple of nice apartments because of that. 

I've always wondered about the prewar apt bldgs.  Are they quiet (since they were built back in the days before modern, toss 'em up bldgs with thin walls)? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

By popular demand, the Health & Wellness section of Everything Else now has its very own Pet Peeves topic!!!

Please use that super-cool new topic to discuss all of your health and wellness peeves including, but not limited to:

• Doctors making us wait for hours
  • Insurance claim nightmares
  • Nasal cavity polyps making your aunt's neighbor's best friend's breathing sound funny
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

For me those days are in the rearview mirror (can't eat a big meal after 9pm anymore).  I would make sure you know of somewhere close to the facility with a drive thru for you to stop.  I was my mom's driver when she last got hers, and she was hilarious.  She housed her sandwich in less than 5 minutes.  After her meal, she proceeded to take a long nap as the drugs wore off.

They wouldn't let me wait at the place, so I went out and got him a giant Gatorade and some snacks in case he just wanted to go home. But we went to eat pasta instead! (And now I will need a second dinner because that was a really awkward time to eat.)

OH, OOPS! I just saw the mod post. I hope this is OK; I don't feel like my original post was specifically about health, more like vague instrux that should be worded more carefully! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

OH, OOPS! I just saw the mod post. I hope this is OK; I don't feel like my original post was specifically about health, more like vague instrux that should be worded more carefully! 

The conversation you started was moved to that new thread, so now there's no context for it here.  (I just read that new thread a short time ago, so it's fresh in my mind.)

• Like 2

Oh boy, I guess my reply crossed with the moving of stuff! That said, I doubt I will be hanging out in a health peeve thread though -- too specific, haha!

Also, though, my issue could easily apply to other, non-healthcare-related instructions. I guess I thought I was making a point about ineffective language when people need specifics!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't feel like my original post was specifically about health, more like vague instrux that should be worded more carefully! 

Your post that is now the opening post for the Health & Wellness Pet Peeves topic is the perfect way to start that new topic. I couldn't have written a better example of what the new topic should be and what we are asking people not to post in this topic going forward. 

Just for clarity for everybody:

• "The vagueness in doctors' handouts..." 
    • This belongs in Health & Wellness
  • The word "colonoscopy" anywhere
    • Health & Wellness
  • "no food after 10 am on the day before procedure..."
    • Health & Wellness

We're not going to go back and move any posts prior to the announcement of the new topic. Consider the announcement of the new topic as the K-T boundary of health pet peeves. Before the announcement, dinosaurs and colonoscopies roamed free in Pet Peeves. After the announcement, they will be obliterated by meteors.

• LOL 11

Oh my goodness, if you are going to put something up for sale on Facebook Marketplace (or Ebay or whatever else) without any details other than a photo, do not get all aggro if people ask! 

Someone had coffee table that looked like it would work for me -- my cheap yet fabulous Ikea table is finally on its way out after 22 years (!!!). Well, I asked for the dimensions and also if there were stains on the surfaces -- they were very faint in the photos and could have just been characteristics of the wood or spots that I could probably fix. Either way, I just wanted to know and wasn't super-concerned. Well, this lady said, "If you are looking for a showroom condition oak coffee table, expect to pay over $400." 

Haha, "showroom condition"! The table that I have voluntarily and happily kept for 20+ years was literally $25 even though I could buy something "better." Anyway, rude -- next!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 2
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Anyway, rude -- next!

Indeed. Does Facebook Marketplace have a "sellers rating" the way Ebay does?  Because that would be a good way to both keep people from doing that and keep us from having contacting people like that.

• Like 5

I don't know -- maybe I'll look. The thing is, her table is a great price, discoloration or not. Had she not acted so snottily, I most likely would have gone to get it. Maybe I am screwing myself, as now I will surely be paying more than what she's asking. Eh, whatever. Maybe I'll try once more to fix my old standby (or my old "trying its best to stand(by)."

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't know -- maybe I'll look. The thing is, her table is a great price, discoloration or not. Had she not acted so snottily, I most likely would have gone to get it. Maybe I am screwing myself, as now I will surely be paying more than what she's asking. Eh, whatever. Maybe I'll try once more to fix my old standby (or my old "trying its best to stand(by)."

You'll find a better one. This looks like it was just not meant to be.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Her snotty response may have been due to her knowing (& guilty feeling) that there are mega flaws on the table. So...wise move not to buy it!!

• Like 7

Personal pet peeve - I am reading a series set in Alabama and now I am thinking with a southern drawl and saying things like "I'm fixing to go out later".  I hate this -  I've done this when I visit family in Nova Scotia and sometimes they think I'm making fun of their accent.  Aarghh....

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Personal pet peeve - I am reading a series set in Alabama and now I am thinking with a southern drawl and saying things like "I'm fixing to go out later".  I hate this -  I've done this when I visit family in Nova Scotia and sometimes they think I'm making fun of their accent.  Aarghh....

I am notorious for subconsciously adopting an accent after a very short period of exposure, so have to check myself when traveling.  And, oh my, the expressions I come home repeating - to the utter bewilderment of my coworkers - when I visit family in Oklahoma.  "I'm fixin' to [do something]" drives me around the bend, so not that one, but I will, for example, describe something that proved difficult to accomplish by saying "I like to never [got X done]".

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And, oh my, the expressions I come home repeating - to the utter bewilderment of my coworkers - when I visit family in Oklahoma. 

Where my family is from they throw in the words some or right a lot.  So I'll come home and say something like "that traffic was some bad today" .  It does wear off eventually!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

As a Rust Belt broad living in the South, I will borrow some Southern phrases.  "Fixin to" is great and versatile.  I do draw the line at "the-ater" for theater/re.  That one is nails on chalkboard for me.  I also have to watch myself from not using the words and phrases of my youth down here.  I drink pop not soda, use a pen not an ink pen, and it's a crick not a creek.  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I am notorious for subconsciously adopting an accent after a very short period of exposure, so have to check myself when traveling.  And, oh my, the expressions I come home repeating - to the utter bewilderment of my coworkers - when I visit family in Oklahoma.  "I'm fixin' to [do something]" drives me around the bend, so not that one, but I will, for example, describe something that proved difficult to accomplish by saying "I like to never [got X done]".

I can do y'all (see what I did there? Hee!) one better. I don't know if I mentioned it when I returned from India, but when I was talking to my department manager, she was explaining something and I nodded my head, and said "Yes, I understand/that's fine" EXCEPT. I was saying it in HINDI!

• LOL 9

I know there's a thread for streaming-related stuff, but this falls more into peeve territory.  Do all the streaming services have a convention where they get together and make sure nobody does a single thing the same way?  Especially what to do when something ends - what button do I push to see the credits/skip the credits/go to the next episode/don't go to the next episode...  and when I search for something ("okay, you put all the letters in alphabetical order in a grid, and you make them sort of like a QWERTY keyboard and you string them out all across the screen....")

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Oh lord, I will subconsciously start mimicking accents when I'm traveling. It's so embarrassing and I don't realize I'm doing it until someone points it out. Imagine a Texas accent morphing into a British one complete with British slang. 🤦‍♀️

Another peeve right now, my pecan trees. I love them but the squirrels love them just as much and they are ripping the green pecans off the trees, taking one bite, then throwing them all over my backyard and driveway. And unripe pecans leave a brown stain on concrete when they get smashed by a foot or car. 

• Hugs 2

People who insist on cameras on for video meetings when it’s not necessary. Just went to a grad school info session (so not even an actual class or admissions interview where cameras on is necessary) and the presenter said “oh I hate to be that person who wants cameras on but you’ll need to do this in class!” Also, Janet, I am not 12 years old. 

I don’t have a problem being on video for a job interview or a meeting with my boss or something similar, but if I’m not even sure I am going to attend your school just let me come on Zoom in peace with my video off. And if I do decide to attend then yes I’ll use the camera as required. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

As a Rust Belt broad living in the South, I will borrow some Southern phrases.  "Fixin to" is great and versatile.  I do draw the line at "the-ater" for theater/re.  That one is nails on chalkboard for me.  I also have to watch myself from not using the words and phrases of my youth down here.  I drink pop not soda, use a pen not an ink pen, and it's a crick not a creek.  

My husband is from Michigan & I'm from NYS. We both grew up in towns where people say thee-ater, arthuritis, store-boughten, and gooms (gums 🙄). 

• LOL 4

I am from the south, and I use "bless your heart" all the time.  With multiple meanings.

I have a bad habit of picking up words and phrases rather than accents, particularly British English words and phrases.  I sometimes like them better than their American English equivalents.  

Peeve of the day?  It's been overcast for four days!  I need some sunshine!

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I have a bad habit of picking up words and phrases rather than accents, particularly British English words and phrases

We lived in England for a number of years and definitely have had a few expressions become part of our normal conversation. To make this peevy - being Canadian though we're used to not knowing for sure where half our expressions come from - local, American, British??  Who knows!

I do have a Texan one that I've picked up from Sheldon on BBT "Aren't you just made of sugar".  I love that one - so expressive.  Of course it sounds better in a real southern accent as opposed to my painfully fake one!

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just paid an extra $500 to have a water heater replaced by a plumber that gave my inner smarm detector the green light, vs. the guy who seemed just okay, and whose details were dull, and follow-up was lax. Don't really have $500 to throw around, but sometimes those characteristics matter. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Years ago, I worked in a Barnes & Noble and, on occasion, had to do the story time in the kids' department. Do you know how quickly one can accidentally adopt the cadence of Dr. Seuss after reading a few books in a row? I do!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9

When I first discovered that I pick up accents, I didn't realize how many others do it too.  It's the worst with southern accents.  I fall into their cadence and I think it may sound like I am mocking them.  I've watched lots of British made TV and movies and have inadvertently picked up words and expressions.  My favorite I find quite useful and it comes out very naturally - "Bloody Hell!". 

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
On 9/26/2023 at 11:38 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, if you are going to put something up for sale on Facebook Marketplace (or Ebay or whatever else) without any details other than a photo, do not get all aggro if people ask! 

Someone had coffee table that looked like it would work for me -- my cheap yet fabulous Ikea table is finally on its way out after 22 years (!!!). Well, I asked for the dimensions and also if there were stains on the surfaces -- they were very faint in the photos and could have just been characteristics of the wood or spots that I could probably fix. Either way, I just wanted to know and wasn't super-concerned. Well, this lady said, "If you are looking for a showroom condition oak coffee table, expect to pay over $400." 

Haha, "showroom condition"! The table that I have voluntarily and happily kept for 20+ years was literally $25 even though I could buy something "better." Anyway, rude -- next!

Ugh!  There are some extremely rude people on FB Marketplace!  My husband was selling some cars that were used in the local demolition derby in which he and his brother used to compete, and when one of the interested parties did not like the price that he was asking, they told him he looked like a "Chester" and to go take a ride in his van.  Mr. Bones did not understand, until I regrettably informed him that the immature asshole was telling him he looked like a sex offender ("Chester the molester").  So rude!  I cannot imagine saying that to a stranger on the internet, rather than just saying "No thanks, not for that price..."  Totally rude and uncalled for!  

• Mind Blown 5
  • Fire 1