Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, nokat said:

When my card got hacked, I was able to cancel it and got the new number to use for all online purchases before the physical card arrived. Can you do something like that?

Thanks @nokat I never thought of that.  The website is displaying the last four digits (as they always do) but not the complete new number.  I always thought they wouldn't update it until I received the card and verified it.  Interesting question though.

Edited by roseha
typo
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, roseha said:

Thanks @nokat I never thought of that.  The website is displaying the last four digits (as they always do) but not the complete new number.  I always thought they wouldn't update it until I received the card and verified it.  Interesting question though.

I hadn't realized that was an option until I was given the new number and told I could use it while I was talking with customer service. I was very happy for the option. It makes it easier if you have a lot of subscriptions.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My debit card was hacked a few months ago and I cancelled it and the person on the phone told me I could go to the drive thru and get a temporary debit card to use until the new one came. Fortunately it happened during the week and I was able to use it that weekend for planned purchases. When the new card came I updated all my accounts. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, nokat said:

Our local McDonalds has pretty good fries. I think it may vary by location.  I've noticed that with other franchises.

I thought I was imagining it but there is a McDonald's a couple miles from me that has the best French fries--nice and crispy w/o being jawbreaking.  The other McD's fries just aren't as good. I wonder why they vary? Do some managers just know how long to cook them?

• Like 4

@Leeds Interesting about your dislike of Terry Gross. She was mentioned in The Royals thread and I thought she was some kind of perfect person or something and thought about checking her out but I haven't yet. Not a dis on their discussion I am just wondering now if she is all that. I don't really listen to NPR, I mean I have listened some when changing stations (ha, I am so old school, changing channels) but I don't usually tune in. I find it to be a little on the condescending side and the humor is we think we are funny but we aren't. 

• Like 2

@annzeepark914 It's probably a hit or miss at every McD's, like it is everywhere. I have made the discovery though that air fryers are perfect for reheating them to get them almost as perfect as when they come out of the store. I hit reheat and do about a minute and they are ready to eat. McD's and Bojangles fries have a very short time frame to be eaten before they turn nasty. Like 30 seconds after leaving the grease, ha! 

I read that McD's new strategy is revolutionizing/overhauling their drive thru. Here are some articles to choose from, I can't remember all the details and don't want to select one over the other.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mcdonald's+layoffs+drive+thru+upgrades&ia=web

• Useful 4
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Journalists who ask disingenuous questions they obviously already know the answers to.  Terry Gross is an expert at it.  Question: "Have you ever met anyone who owns a De Havilland aeroplane?"  Answer: "Well, as it happens, I do actually own one myself."

Just say "I understand that you own a De Havilland."

(Terry Gross is also a pet peeve, but that's a whole other discussion.)

I dislike this as well, but I've never noticed it much about Terry Gross.  I'm dying to hear your Terry Gross rant.  I think she's okay, not as great as many think. Maybe she is getting tired of the gig as she gets older and phones it in?

I don't listen all the time.  I listen to an episode here and there if the guest interests me.  Lately, the same guests pop up all over, so I don't like to listen to repeats of the same info. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, roseha said:

My local branch can actually create the new card on the spot. That is an important convenience! Perhaps yours can also do that?

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My local branch can actually create the new card on the spot. That is an important convenience! Perhaps yours can also do that?

So can my CU.

My debit (ATM) card expired in Jan. and with the move, it's likely my replacement card was returned back to the bank since they don't forward them. I didn't realize it until I tried to get cash out in March (since I never use cash or that card). I called the bank and they overnighted me a new one. It has been my experience that if the bank can't print one on the spot, or if you can't get to a branch, they'll overnight one to you.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My peeve for this morning: I was reading about botox and people getting rid of their 11s on their forehead. It's not fair, I only have a 1.  My dream was to shave my head and convince people to call me "eleven." Sigh. Yes, I'm feeling silly this morning.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

So can my CU.

My debit (ATM) card expired in Jan. and with the move, it's likely my replacement card was returned back to the bank since they don't forward them. I didn't realize it until I tried to get cash out in March (since I never use cash or that card). I called the bank and they overnighted me a new one. It has been my experience that if the bank can't print one on the spot, or if you can't get to a branch, they'll overnight one to you.

You didn't inform your bank of your move?  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

You didn't inform your bank of your move?  

Of course I did. The card was most likely sent in the very small window of time before I updated my address on their website and after I enabled mail forwarding. Credit cards aren't forwarded so it was most likely returned to the bank and was being processed as a return to sender.

• Like 1

The other day I was listening to a podcast and I thought for a second the speaker was making a lot of mouth noise or had a cough drop of something. It was not the very professional and experienced host or a live guest, it was a recorded police interview that the podcast host was playing. Anyway, once I realized that it was the officer in the tape clicking around with a pen or something on the table, I wasn’t upset anymore. Same sound, but the confirmation that it was not a mouth making it made it no big deal.

I know it’s widespread and “normal,” but doctors need to stop booking patients so close together. It’s not fair for someone to have to wait and wait even though they arrived on time for the agreed-upon appointment. Of course, I do not mean this for when/if the person before me has an emergency or complications and needs a longer time with the doctor, but not booking them in 15-minute increments might help in that case as well.

ETA: Haha, autocorrect changed “host” to “Jose”! I fixed it!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

booking them in 15-minute increments might help in that case as well.

I worked for a Dr who worked in 10 increment slots!

It takes a minute for the patient to be comfortable and ready to chat with their provider and really give them a good idea of what’s going on. I have never thought either a 10 or 15 minute appointment was quite enough. They’d always corner me with questions on their way out. Drs are pressured in my area to keep them coming and going. The company that they work for makes more money that way. It probably isn’t the same everywhere. I’m just speaking to my experience. 

• Like 2

Part of the reason my doctor retired when he did was because he wasn't "allowed" to have longer appointments.  He said he missed spending time with his patients, but was required to book 15-minute appointments.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1

And while we're on the topic, foot doctors' demands are really unrealistic and unreasonable! OK, yes, I know that I am not a medical professional and I truly assume that they are telling me the ideal solution to heal my stupid again (still?)-busted foot. But the one today with his dire "under no circumstances can you put weight on it" nonsense -- I am a human who is alone at home for hours and hours. I eat. I go to the bathroom. I have two cats (and believe me, I am extra glad that, in this situation, I do not have two toddlers here). But he's acting like I am being crazy when I say that I have to move sometimes and cannot simply plop myself onto a couch and stay there. I work from home and I can't do it away from a desk, with my feet up. I really can't stand him.

And guess what, ass (meaning him, not any of you!)? My condo has stairs; I cannot change that. Further, yes, the foot is busted -- I know that; I saw the x-ray too. But no matter how bad it is, I apologize for it not hurting. Dude seems annoyed that he can twist it and press it and pull it and I don't feel pain.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 4
  • Love 3

Oh, and, why am I in a walking boot then? Why are we mentioning operations and not scheduling them?! Because if I get one later, it’s more time in this boot or off my feet! Come on! Either help or don’t, you jerk. 

I am very mad.

• Hugs 3
  • Fire 3
10 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

@Leeds It's a subheading under "Everything Else" (right beside the health subheading) - now has lots of sub-topics.  The original Royals forum has been closed.

Thanks, Elizabeth Anne!  I thought I had gone mad.

Issues of grammar generate enough posts here in Pet Peeves to get a separate topic in the Everything Else forum!

Please use the new topic for your grammar peeves going forward.

If you have grammar peeves related to TV shows, you will find a robust discussion of grammar on TV in the Everything Else TV forum.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

Knuckle cracking.

Guilty. I don't do it in public though, or that often by myself.  How about joint popping? I can't help sounding like Rice Crispies in the morning. 😉

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, Leeds said:

Thanks, Elizabeth Anne!  I thought I had gone mad.

The jury is still out on that one. 😄

Forums are getting added or renamed or put up in a subcategory. It's getting more confusing than going to Trader Joe's before a holiday.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Someone under 25 lol

When I was in high school I thought anyone over 30 was old and over the hill lol

That’s true.  I was 15 the year A Walk in the Clouds (am obscure movie starring Keanu Reeves as a WWII soldier who has returned home and is selling chocolate.  He meets a pregnant woman and poses as her husband.  I never thought I’d ever have a crush on Keanu - he kind of looked like an idiot to me before…but that uniform (*swoon*)…Keanu was 30, so he was my “older movie star crush” along with Brad Pitt.  Don’t laugh.  

These days, at 43, I think of early 30-something celebs as my “cub crush.”  Lol 

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

When I was in high school I thought anyone over 30 was old and over the hill lol

I still vividly remember being in grade 1 and being so impressed by the elderly grade 7s in my school 😃!

• LOL 10
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

That’s true.  I was 15 the year A Walk in the Clouds (am obscure movie starring Keanu Reeves as a WWII soldier who has returned home and is selling chocolate.  He meets a pregnant woman and poses as her husband.  I never thought I’d ever have a crush on Keanu - he kind of looked like an idiot to me before…but that uniform (*swoon*)…Keanu was 30, so he was my “older movie star crush” along with Brad Pitt.  Don’t laugh.  

These days, at 43, I think of early 30-something celebs as my “cub crush.”  Lol 

Keanu is still fineeee (drools)

• Like 5

Here's a peeve about my electric service. The power goes out during the day and my first thought is "did I pay the electricity bill?" At night I can check for streetlights and sigh in relief.

So anyway the power has been on and off several times so far. Fine, I use my phone to look up outages.

Then I get emails after the power is back on telling me the power was out, then one telling me it's back on. Really useful, thanks. I had figured that out on my own. 😐

Edit: To be fair, I would like to know how long the power was out if I were away from home.

Edited by nokat
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Here's a peeve about my electric service. The power goes out during the day and my first thought is "did I pay the electricity bill?" At night I can check for streetlights and sigh in relief.

So anyway the power has been on and off several times so far. Fine, I use my phone to look up outages.

Then I get emails after the power is back on telling me the power was out, then one telling me it's back on. Really useful, thanks. I had figured that out on my own. 😐

Edit: To be fair, I would like to know how long the power was out if I were away from home.

27 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe the alert is so people don't wonder why all their cold food went bad?

Also, if you got the "all's good" alert but your power wasn't back on, you'd know escalate the issue.

• Like 1

This is why you should always have fudgesicles; if they thaw then refreeze, you can tell from the shape whereas you can’t tell from other food whether you power was off long enough for your freezer to  completely thaw. Plus, you know, fudgesicles. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 8
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Also, if you got the "all's good" alert but your power wasn't back on, you'd know escalate the issue.

True. I was just more annoyed on the off, on, off, on. It messes with my electronics.

Just now, Quof said:

This is why you should always have fudgesicles; if they thaw then refreeze, you can tell from the shape whereas you can’t tell from other food whether you power was off long enough for your freezer to  completely thaw. Plus, you know, fudgesicles. 

They'd likely not last long enough until the next power outage.

• LOL 8
1 minute ago, Quof said:

The tip I've used is to fill a glass jar about halfway with water, then freeze on its side.  Then turn it upright to store - if the freezer stays cold enough, the water stays "upright".  Whether or not you've eaten all the Fudgesicles.

1 minute ago, nokat said:

True. I was just more annoyed on the off, on, off, on. It messes with my electronics.

That is indeed a pain.  Whenever I report an outage, they give me an option to be notified when power's restored.  Every time I have an internal debate (No, because I know they'll call me in the middle of the night vs. Yes, so if it should have been restored but mine's not, I want to know that).

I was so glad when we finally got the solar panels with a backup battery for the essential stuff.  Even if they never pay for themselves, the backup is totally worth it!  (I know a generator's an option, but that's a whole other set of issues.)

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

The tip I've used is to fill a glass jar about halfway with water, then freeze on its side.  Then turn it upright to store - if the freezer stays cold enough, the water stays "upright".  Whether or not you've eaten all the Fudgesicles.

This is a great tip, thanks.

• Like 3
On 4/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, SoMuchTV said:

There’s something going on that causes it to ice up so the fan can’t distribute the cold air, so I have to take a hot air gun to it once or twice a day to keep it from completely icing up.

I had to come back and find this post; I didn't have time to respond when I first read it, but filed away in my head that someone was having this problem.  I went through this with my refrigerator last year, so it sounds like the heating rod in your defrost system is not coming on.  That's usually either the rod itself, the timer switch, or the thermostat.  If you have a multimeter (and know how to use it/teach yourself how to use it), you can look up where those items are located on your particular model, and test to see where there's a continuity failure.  Or have an appliance repairperson come do it, of course.

If it's the switch, most models have a way to turn it on manually with a screwdriver, which would hold you over very simply until you replace it/have it replaced.  But whatever the cause, unless it's the control board, it's a pretty easy and cheap fix.  (And if it's the control board, that's still worth fixing rather than replacing; it's just the most-expensive component of the defrost system.)

Mine was the thermostat, and I was a little worried about finding parts for a refrigerator that's nearly 25 years old, but I was able to replace it.  I was glad it wasn't the switch, once I got a gander at how I'd have to contort myself into my refrigerator to remove the old one and put the new one in.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had to come back and find this post; I didn't have time to respond when I first read it, but filed away in my head that someone was having this problem.  I went through this with my refrigerator last year, so it sounds like the heating rod in your defrost system is not coming on.  That's usually either the rod itself, the timer switch, or the thermostat.  If you have a multimeter (and know how to use it/teach yourself how to use it), you can look up where those items are located on your particular model, and test to see where there's a continuity failure.  Or have an appliance repairperson come do it, of course.

If it's the switch, most models have a way to turn it on manually with a screwdriver, which would hold you over very simply until you replace it/have it replaced.  But whatever the cause, unless it's the control board, it's a pretty easy and cheap fix.  (And if it's the control board, that's still worth fixing rather than replacing; it's just the most-expensive component of the defrost system.)

Mine was the thermostat, and I was a little worried about finding parts for a refrigerator that's nearly 25 years old, but I was able to replace it.  I was glad it wasn't the switch, once I got a gander at how I'd have to contort myself into my refrigerator to remove the old one and put the new one in.

Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on all that detailed info, but in my case I think it was something else. I’ve had two different repair guys (first Sears, then a highly recommended local place) show me how there’s a part that’s supposed to drain the defrosted moisture, that broke off somehow. By the time it was apparent it failed,  the ice buildup was so bad that the fan had already broken. It’s apparently a known issue with a certain model of Samsung, and in my case GE sold their own brand of the model. Second guy gave me tips on which brands to avoid. So since it’s now 12+ years old, I’m resigned to knowing I need to shop for a new one. 

And that concludes this episode of refrigerator DIY. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Dyi is not the same as diy
  • Like 5
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don’t often do my own food shopping; this is a thing?

I do my own shopping and I never notice.  Though I DO glance at other people’s items at the checkout.  And yes, I sometimes judge.  

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Another trick is to freeze a glass of water, then put a penny on top. If the water melted then refroze, the penny will sink in.

This is what I do, but I recommend not using a glass glass.  Use a plastic cup instead so you're not finding glass shards throughout your freezer if the glass breaks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve had two different repair guys (first Sears, then a highly recommended local place) show me how there’s a part that’s supposed to drain the defrosted moisture, that broke off somehow. By the time it was apparent it failed,  the ice buildup was so bad that the fan had already broken.

Yikes; sorry to hear that.

The drain was my first problem, too, but thankfully mine just froze solid rather than breaking off!  The thermostat must have been malfunctioning then, but still turning the heating rod on often enough to keep ice off the coils.  But once that drain froze solid, the water had nowhere to go but under the freezer tray and would sometimes leak into my refrigerator -- that water was how I first knew I had a problem.  But I didn't have time to deal with it, and the defrost system was still working well enough to keep everything at the right temperature, so I put it off.

Then I realized no water had dripped in a while; obviously the problem didn't fix itself, so I knew I was going to take that back panel off and find frosted coils because the heating rod wasn't coming on at all anymore.  Sure enough, and the passage to the refrigerator was half clogged by ice.

Thankfully, it was easy to figure out which component had failed, and then it was just a matter of finding the part.  By letting the whole thing defrost, I started the clock over in terms of ice build-up, and by the time I replaced it, things were just starting to not be cold enough in the refrigerator.

It stinks yours isn't one of these typical scenarios and you'll have to get a new one.  It's good you're able to keep it going so you have time to find what you want and wait for delivery.  A refrigerator is the last appliance I'd want to have to replace in a hurry!

• Like 2