Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Feeling a bit peevish today. I do not care about football, the suburb owl or any of the rest of it. Preoccupation with it has taken over in a lot of places I feel it has no business being. All the cooking shows this week have had The Big Game themes. Ugh.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Feeling a bit peevish today. I do not care about football, the suburb owl or any of the rest of it. Preoccupation with it has taken over in a lot of places I feel it has no business being. All the cooking shows this week have had The Big Game themes. Ugh.

Ah, yes...the Stupor Bowl as I call it. Too bad there's not a really good old movie on TV. Has anyone seen that movie on Amazon Prime..."Georgetown"?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Some of my family are Eagles fans, but I honestly don’t even like football so I don’t care who wins the game. Since Tom Brady isn’t in it, that’s enough for me. 😂 I hope he’s for real retired this time.

My pet peeve of today is overly emotional, reactive people. I got a message on Discord today from someone in a non-fandom (clarifying that since that’s why I use Discord primarily) server I’m in calling me “rude as f***” for talking about her on Reddit. First of all, I did not call her out by name specifically on Reddit. I used a very general term (think “idiot on Primetimer”…not that any of you are idiots but it’s just an example). So I didn’t say “person’s name from XYZ server is on my nerves”. I actually was referring to someone else in my post and not to the nasty gram sender but decided I wasn’t going to try and explain this to her because she mouthed off to me to begin with and just assumed. And second, why did she go on Reddit and then start combing through my post history? I know Reddit has that function but what was she looking to gain? I’ve very rarely felt the need to do this to others on there but there are some people who seem obsessed about going through people’s comments. Like I’m sorry my posts offend you so much, Karen, but either you can nicely ask “hey is that comment about me?” or go touch grass once in a while and stop reading people’s Reddit comments for a hobby. 

The older I’m getting (and I’m only 37) the less desire I have for much social media. It’s way too easy for people to blow things out of proportion rather than slowing down and just having a normal conversation. It’s become a free for all to assume everyone is evil and has the worst intentions at all times. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

We are barely getting by, and my dad somehow owes $10,000 in taxes. We don't have that kind of money. He wasn't going to tell me, but I walked up to him at the computer, and saw the amount on the screen. 

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching someone doing a baking stream for a Dungeons and Dragons cookbook. I don't know what we're going to do this afternoon and evening, but we aren't into the super bowl either. 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 5
18 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The second part is that I hate when people try to make me feel bad for being an introvert and getting tired at social gatherings. I was with my grandparents and my dad for about four hours socializing and sitting around, then the party with bad music was about four hours. I’ve always been more introverted and I hate that it’s seen as something I should be ashamed of, like my mom asking “What happened to you?” “Come on, smile!” “Why didn’t you come up with us during this song?” and people asking me why I won’t do karaoke. Like OK maybe I don’t want to badly sing along to Don’t Stop Believing. So what? Or maybe parties with lousy DJs aren’t appealing anymore. Being an introvert, four hours is about my limit for socializing, so doubling that just wore me down. It’s actually part why I hate Christmas so much. Everyone expects you to be “on” and happy and smiling for multiple days and gatherings and can’t understand why you get tired and God forbid you say you’re skipping a party… 

Sigh. Next year if anyone asks I’ll just say I have plans the night of the party. I guess I expected to have more fun and now I feel worn out. 

I hear you. I'm a shy gal who deals with anxiety and insomnia. Even stuff that makes me happy makes me nervous, and I also get tired if I don't have routine and winding down quiet time. Some people just don't get this. I love to dance, but sometimes I don't want to get into the crowd. I appreciate human connection, but I like peace and quiet before bed. I like to have fun, but I do not want to drink and certainly not get trashed.  

I've learned not to give in to pressure to go to parties and whatnot. Also, I don't know if you're like me, but I could be perfectly happy, but sometimes if you're not super smily and enthusiastic, people think you must not be having a good time. Some of us are just reserved. Please let us introverts be. 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My Super Bowl peeve:

On a Facebook page local to me, someone posted that kids should have a delay tomorrow, or be closed because of the Super Bowl today. Replies went both ways.

• Mind Blown 4

Paywalls.  I totally support journalism and journalists, I really do.  But I just can't pay because occasionally an article pops up in google news that piques my interest.  I like places where they at least give you a few free articles before they lower the boom on you!

• Like 8

Smoke/carbon monoxide detector low battery warnings never start in the middle of the day, only when I am sleeping.  I have felt a little unwell for several days, finally was sleeping great last night, and have today off.  So what happens at 9-frakkin-30 this morning (half an hour before I'd be up even if I was working), but that damn chirp.

At least it wasn't the one in the bedroom, so it wasn't too loud (which meant the cat just curled up into my warm spot against the pillow and went back to sleep).  But the smoke detector in my office and the smoke/carbon monoxide detector in my hallway are close enough together I can't tell which one is making the noise (and there's no visual indication).  So I started with the office and, of course, it was the hallway.  And by then there was no way I was going to be able to go back to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1

Dear pizza places who forget that Super Bowl Sunday is one of (if not THE MOST) busiest days of the year.  We ordered from a joint about half a block away from us last night, and well ahead, so we can pick up rather than wait for a delivery.  Got there, and they said they never got the order.  Showed them my email confirmation and they logged in, claiming that their system crashed from all the orders (maybe they need to update their system).  Had to wait half an hour since there were three pies.  Might as well have ordered for delivery!  Oh, and the pizza was pure crap.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Dear pizza places who forget that Super Bowl Sunday is one of (if not THE MOST) busiest days of the year.  We ordered from a joint about half a block away from us last night, and well ahead, so we can pick up rather than wait for a delivery.  Got there, and they said they never got the order.  Showed them my email confirmation and they logged in, claiming that their system crashed from all the orders (maybe they need to update their system).  Had to wait half an hour since there were three pies.  Might as well have ordered for delivery!  Oh, and the pizza was pure crap.

I haven't had a really good, worth the price pizza in 5 yrs.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I haven't had a really good, worth the price pizza in 5 yrs.  

Let's put it this way:  When I said "pure crap," I meant that the crust tasted like it came from the frozen food aisle - the plain kind where you add toppings yourself.  I've had good frozen pizzas, but they were all from local gourmet pizzerias...with toppings.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Let's put it this way:  When I said "pure crap," I meant that the crust tasted like it came from the frozen food aisle - the plain kind where you add toppings yourself.  I've had good frozen pizzas, but they were all from local gourmet pizzerias...with toppings.

My husband and I used to get the best pizza at our local drive in movie place. We have been on a fruitless search for something close to it for decades. It had "mushy roomy room sauce".

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2

My parents and I live less than ten miles apart, and in my neighborhood I have nearly half a dozen options for Italian restaurants/pizza joints that deliver great pizza.  In my parents' -- one.  Granted, it's down the street, so that's convenient, but one?!  The only other places near them that deliver are the chains (the only chain pizza I find remotely decent is Round Table).

The best pizza place in our general area sits pretty much right between the two houses, and each house is just outside their delivery area, so from either place if you want pizza from there you have to go pick it up (or maybe use one of those third party services, but no thanks).  Thankfully, one of my best friends lives close to it, so we order from there a lot when I'm at her house.  (Their drawback is they close early even on Saturday nights, and we don't always want to eat by 9:00.)

• Like 1
On 2/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, KittyMom4 said:

Where I used to live was near a college campus and more frequently than not I'd be behind someone with their head bowed looking at their phone when the left turn arrow turned green. 

And that's the beauty of it.  If their head is bowed looking at their phone, they can't see the light, so it's no problem to honk as soon as it turns green because for all they know, you patiently waited for them to pay attention and see the light and eventually gave up and felt forced to honk.

I don't have a smart phone so I'm never fiddling with one while waiting at a light, but I've been known to kind of zone out and suddenly realize the cars in front of me have started moving, and nobody has honked at me.  And it's not like they can't see the traffic moving in front of me--I drive a really low car and god knows EVERYBODY is way above me and can see what's going on.  Hell, I've been known to be the 3rd or 4th car in line and I'M the only one who honks.  I'm like "Honk...pass it on."

Which reminds me--who thought it was a good idea to put blinkers way low, in the rear bumper?  Kias have it, and a couple of other manufacturers.  Pickups and SUVs (including cop cars) now have the high brake light that FLASHES when they first step on the brake, right in your eyes, and it is MISERY being behind one of them in stop-and-go traffic.  But then they let cars bury blinkers way down close to the ground, where you can't see them, especially if there's a car between you and the car with the blinker on, and guess what--there are SOME people who actually watch what cars other than the one directly in front of them are doing.

And while I'm at it--why do tow trucks get to drive with their flashing lights on?  Obviously they should use them when they're hooking up the car, but once they're towing it while in traffic, the tow truck is no different from the rest of us.  We need to be alerted that fire trucks and ambulances are in the mix because we need to react, like moving over to let them by.  But there's zero reason for anyone to know that a tow truck towing a vehicle happens to be among the other vehicles driving around. 

• Mind Blown 1
9 hours ago, ABay said:

One of the best things about living in New Haven is the fantastic pizza. Easily the best of anywhere I've lived.

Yes I occasionally drive there from NYC to get it. I meet my friend from Hartford for lunch at the Modern. Yum!  And I get great pizza in my own neighborhood but this is even better. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes I occasionally drive there from NYC to get it. I meet my friend from Hartford for lunch at the Modern. Yum!  And I get great pizza in my own neighborhood but this is even better. 

Speaking of Pizza, It's Valentine's Day so I'll be making my annual heart shaped pizza for dinner tonight! Happy V-Day, cats and gators! 🌹

• Like 9
  • Love 4

When did movie trailers become mini movies, complete with enough spoilers to kind of ruin the surprise effect when you do watch the movie? I just watched the trailer for FastX and man it was long and gave away what should be surprising moments when you watch the movie. 

All is forgiven though because Jason Momoa was heavily featured in the trailer, ha!

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Restaurants messing up on takeout orders. I normally just order for myself, and my orders aren't complex. I've had vegetarian items that end up with meat, and sampler plates where more than one item is missing. So frustrating when you get home all excited to eat and are disappointed. 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Restaurants messing up on takeout orders. I normally just order for myself, and my orders aren't complex. I've had vegetarian items that end up with meat, and sampler plates where more than one item is missing. So frustrating when you get home all excited to eat and are disappointed. 

EVERY time I order a Pazooki from BJs Brewhouse, it is wrong. I ordered a triple Chocolate Ghirardelli with chocolate ice cream. I got chocolate chip with vanilla ice cream. They NEVER screw up husband’s salted caramel with vanilla. 😡

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

When did movie trailers become mini movies, complete with enough spoilers to kind of ruin the surprise effect when you do watch the movie? I just watched the trailer for FastX and man it was long and gave away what should be surprising moments when you watch the movie. 

All is forgiven though because Jason Momoa was heavily featured in the trailer, ha!

I think this long movie trailer thing has been going on for at least 10 years, unfortunately.  A real disappointment. 

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

People thinking just because someone says things without caring if it’s respectful or PC that they must be honest. Some of the most blunt, abrasive people are still full of crap. 

There's a great line in Glass Onion, when one character pulls that I'm just keepin' it real type excuse for all the shit she says -- "I'm a truth-teller. Some people can't handle it." -- and another replies, "It's a dangerous thing to mistake speaking without thought for speaking the truth."

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Applause 10

Am I just remembering winter grocery shopping wrong or is anyone else finding that the fruit and veggies are going bad (as in moldy or damp & gross) way faster than they used to?  Even root vegetables like carrots that IME last forever.  Dammit.  Groceries cost enough as it is without throwing stuff out!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Am I just remembering winter grocery shopping wrong or is anyone else finding that the fruit and veggies are going bad (as in moldy or damp & gross) way faster than they used to?  Even root vegetables like carrots that IME last forever.  Dammit.  Groceries cost enough as it is without throwing stuff out!

Mine haven't but it could be regional weather. Are you shopping at Trader Joe's by chance? I find their produce goes bad super fast (as does the internet if you search). I mostly shop at Costco and their produce seems to last forever.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Mine haven't but it could be regional weather. Are you shopping at Trader Joe's by chance? I find their produce goes bad super fast (as does the internet if you search). I mostly shop at Costco and their produce seems to last forever.

There’s no TJ’s in Canada!  @Elizabeth Anne, I usually go to Loblaws and they tend to be fine.  But I also get groceries from a local delivery service (Fresh City Farms) and we more or less go through those things in a week, so I haven’t noticed.  

• Like 1

A petty peeve: It's a cold, dreary afternoon, so I decide to curl up on the sofa and read (or nap ... whatever). Just when I've got the pillows piled perfectly and the lamp tilted and my snuggy blanket tucked around my feet ... I have to pee!  I guess I should call it a peeeeve!

• Like 1
  • LOL 16

When someone insists on teasing but sucks at it. There are people where even if they’re poking fun at me I can indeed find it funny and get that they’re just joking around. But there is someone at work who’ll be like “watch out for the wall” (when I’m nowhere near it) or get dramatic about “all that noise” if I simply closed a cabinet of files. If you want to talk to me or get attention, please go about it another way. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

A petty peeve: It's a cold, dreary afternoon, so I decide to curl up on the sofa and read (or nap ... whatever). Just when I've got the pillows piled perfectly and the lamp tilted and my snuggy blanket tucked around my feet ... I have to pee!  I guess I should call it a peeeeve!

Oh, I know how you feel. It's like whenever I try to lay down for a nap... I'm suddenly famished, even though I already ate! What's up with that?!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

YT recipes claiming: Only x ingredients to make *insert delicious looking dish* and then you click on the link and it turns out we're talking X=(X+random list of ADDITIONAL ingredients). I have allergies and it annoys the hell out of me to click on what sounds like a safe dish only to realize - nope, nope it isn't.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Mind Blown 2
6 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

YT recipes claiming: Only x ingredients to make *insert delicious looking dish* and then you click on the link and it turns out we're talking X=(X+random list of ADDITIONAL ingredients). I have allergies and it annoys the hell out of me to click on what sounds like a safe dish only to realize - nope, nope it isn't.

Have you tried experimenting with a substitute anyway?  I often use flours that aren't in the OG (because all I own is whole grain/ancient grains or low carb subs) and they tend to work out okay anyway.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

It's more eggs and nuts I try to stay away from. Eggs can be substituted by bananas for cakes etc. I still find those clickbaits annoying - because there are also people clicking who then figure out that some of the 'secret' ingredients are not in their pantry. Just write 'Delicious *whatever* recipe' in the title and open the clip with a list of ingredients and/or put them in the description box.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

It's more eggs and nuts I try to stay away from. Eggs can be substituted by bananas for cakes etc. I still find those clickbaits annoying - because there are also people clicking who then figure out that some of the 'secret' ingredients are not in their pantry. Just write 'Delicious *whatever* recipe' in the title and open the clip with a list of ingredients and/or put them in the description box.

Can you have chia or flax?  They make great egg subs.  Most seeds are good as nut subs.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I am peeved that the Domino's Brownulated sugar is no longer being sold in large bags.  Now they're just selling it in small shaker dispensers, which I don't like, and they've renamed it Pourable Brown Sugar.  They have a poorly designed spout that lets too much sugar flow out at once.  Not good for sprinkling on my oatmeal.   I have glass dispensers like the ones you get at a diner, and I've always transferred from the bags to the dispensers.  Now I'm pouring the whole Domino dispsenser into my glass dispenser.  Phooey.  (I've always used it for baking too, as I've not wanted to deal with the hardened regular brown sugar.  I would have to buy a fresh bag for any baking project if I didn't use the Brownulated.)

They are selling bags of the Demarara or Turbinado sugar with the big crystals, but that's not what I want. 

I checked their web site and emailed a complaint.  Maybe they'll send me coupons for free sugar.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1

I have not posted yet on my biggest peeve.  It's making me so mad I could  . . . oh well.

As of March 1, the New York Times will stop running the Acrostic and other variety puzzles in digital form.  I do the Acrostic when they run it every two weeks, and I love it.  I just really look forward to it.  (I also do the regular crossowords, but that won't be affected.)

They also have a twenty-three year archive of Acrostics that I have been slowly making my way through.  Now they're even going to remove the archive.  And even worse, they are only going to publish the new puzzles in the printed newspaper, which I don't get anymore!  They say it's too much work to digitize them and maintain the files.  What BS, they have been doing it for years!  And why remove the already published digital versions?  They're not even going to offer PDF versions on the web site.  Just the printed newspaper!

This is peeveworthy because if you know anything about Acrostics, they are impossibly tedious to complete on paper.  I had stopped doing them for years.  You enter one letter in one place, and then you have to transfer the letter to a grid where you will be solving for a quote.  The digital version types the letters into the grid automatically and vice versa, removing at least 75 percent of the solving time.  If you make a mistake, it's easy to delete and redo.  Solving an acrostic involves trial and error sometimes. 

Does anyone else within the reach of this forum do the Acrostic?  If so, rise up!  The Times seems to care more about the odious Wordle than anything else. 

They sprung this on February 1, with little time for anyone to react.  It seems to be a done deal.  But who knows. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I am peeved that the Domino's Brownulated sugar is no longer being sold in large bags.

I don't think I've ever known about this stuff. Can you use it instead of regular brown sugar in any baking application?

I'm so frustrated with brown sugar. It gets hard as a rock in spite of the little terra-cotta disk that's supposed to keep it soft. My new strategy is to buy a fresh package and immediately repack it in a vacuum-sealed bag. We'll see if that actually works.

32 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Does anyone else within the reach of this forum do the Acrostic?

I'm learning so much from you today! Yeah, I do them, but I think I've already done them all. Now I have to go check. I never do any puzzle stuff on paper anymore. I reserve the right to get pissed about this in the future.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Like 2

I'm so frustrated with brown sugar. It gets hard as a rock in spite of the little terra-cotta disk that's supposed to keep it soft. My new strategy is to buy a fresh package and immediately repack it in a vacuum-sealed bag. We'll see if that actually works.

You can nuke it for a few seconds and it will soften right up. Same with honey that's gone too thick to pour.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I am peeved that the Domino's Brownulated sugar is no longer being sold in large bags.  Now they're just selling it in small shaker dispensers, which I don't like, and they've renamed it Pourable Brown Sugar.  They have a poorly designed spout that lets too much sugar flow out at once.  Not good for sprinkling on my oatmeal.   I have glass dispensers like the ones you get at a diner, and I've always transferred from the bags to the dispensers.  Now I'm pouring the whole Domino dispsenser into my glass dispenser.  Phooey.  (I've always used it for baking too, as I've not wanted to deal with the hardened regular brown sugar.  I would have to buy a fresh bag for any baking project if I didn't use the Brownulated.)

They are selling bags of the Demarara or Turbinado sugar with the big crystals, but that's not what I want. 

I checked their web site and emailed a complaint.  Maybe they'll send me coupons for free sugar.

Are you married to the brand? I was looking up Brownulated sugar (like @MondrianyoneI've never heard of it) and found another brand called Haddar that sells it in bags. Link is to Amazon but numerous sites returned with it for sale.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You can nuke it for a few seconds and it will soften right up.

I tried a version of this--put a damp paper towel over it and nuke it in bursts till it softens--but the problem is that I have to do the whole container of sugar to get whatever fraction of it I need. Then I put what I didn't use back in the pantry to cementify itself all over again. And I'd swear that the nuking changes the texture somehow.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Are you married to the brand? I was looking up Brownulated sugar (like @MondrianyoneI've never heard of it) and found another brand called Haddar that sells it in bags. Link is to Amazon but numerous sites returned with it for sale.

I am as best as I can tell.  I had also seen that Haddar brand, and from the photo, it's the large Demerara/Turbinado crystals.  I welcome any other finds. 

I expect clickbait type headlines in some places but not on the CBC fercryingoutloud.  Today this shows up: An outbreak of the deadly Marburg virus has been confirmed. Here's what you need to know.  So I think "oh great what NOW".   All to find that bad though this is the risk to Canadians is "very low".  I am totally on board with being aware of these kinds of things no matter where in the world they occur but that headline was more than a little misleading!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I tried a version of this--put a damp paper towel over it and nuke it in bursts till it softens--but the problem is that I have to do the whole container of sugar to get whatever fraction of it I need. Then I put what I didn't use back in the pantry to cementify itself all over again. And I'd swear that the nuking changes the texture somehow.  🤷‍♀️

That's why I don't like the nuking method.