Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

Here's  a link to the recipe I use:  https://www.notenoughcinnamon.com/healthy-avocado-chocolate-mousse/

I've also made avocado chocolate chip cookies and baked chocolate avocado donuts that are really tasty.  As others have mentioned, the avocado provides the fat in the recipe making it nice and rich but you really can't taste any avocado flavor. 

Speaking of using avocados, I bet mashed avo would make a good sub for bananas in chocolate banana bread!  It can't be THAT weird, can it?

22 minutes ago, PRgal said:

BNL songs are "oldies" now?  Goodness, I'm OLD!  So going on 43 this year is old?  

Even worse today they played a Spice Girls song and my daughter, who is younger than you are used to go to their concerts and loved their music.  BTW it was also a shock to read about Posh Spice's son getting married.  What the hell?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oy, I still remember the first time I heard a Madonna song come on the "oldies" station.

I play the oldie and disco station.  I love the disco music, like in Saturday Night Fever.  Does anyone dance anymore?  I think not.  Loved John Travolta and the way he danced.  Wow.

• Love 4
On 4/23/2022 at 3:29 PM, GaT said:
said:

I have somehow "lost" my little blue rimmed Chinese  bowl for sauces...it just "disappeared" a couple of months ago, No idea where it went, wish I could find it...

Look in the back of the refrigerator.  Small things get lost back there.  Or, on the door where all the little bottles of sauces are.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Look in the back of the refrigerator.  Small things get lost back there.

Huh, how strange, this is my name, but I never said this:

15 MINUTES AGO

ON 4/23/2022 AT 12:29 PM, GAT SAID:

SAID:

I have somehow "lost" my little blue rimmed Chinese  bowl for sauces...it just "disappeared" a couple of months ago, No idea where it went, wish I could find it...

This is the person who said it:

On 4/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, Gramto6 said:

I wonder how it picked my name up instead of GRAMTO6?

Does anyone dance anymore?  I think not.  

Not that I have been to many in the last couple of years, but some bars around here are conducive to dancing. If my favorite goth bar hadn't finally closed a while back (and if not for COVID), I'd still go often -- even at my age, haha!

Speaking of using avocados, I bet mashed avo would make a good sub for bananas in chocolate banana bread!  It can't be THAT weird, can it?

People (better cooks than I am, most likely) also use black beans in chocolate stuff, brownies, etc. Hungry Root actually had a black bean brownie batter that was so good -- you could bake the brownies or, because it was eggless, just eat it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

You quoted Gramto6's post in a reply, and then kristen111 pulled Gram's post from the quote of it in your reply rather than the original post.  That's how the misattribution happens -- Poster A posts, Poster B quotes that post and replies to it, and Poster C replies to A's post by pulling the quote from B's reply rather than A's original.  It's frequent enough I wish the software developers came up with a way to avoid it rather than users having to crack the code.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

You quoted Gramto6's post in a reply, and then kristen111 pulled Gram's post from the quote of it in your reply rather than the original post.  That's how the misattribution happens -- Poster A posts, Poster B quotes that post and replies to it, and Poster C replies to A's post by pulling the quote from B's reply rather than A's original.  It's frequent enough I wish the software developers came up with a way to avoid it rather than users having to crack the code.

Um, yikes! Thankfully, it was an innocuous comment, I would hate for that to happen with a comment that was a view that I was totally against. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Gross ads! I do not need to see pictures of toe fungus. Ever. 

They try to make it cute by having animated toe fungus. Nothing will ever make toe fungus cute and lovable. And also mucus, for that matter. Cartoon snot isn't in any way more appealing than actual snot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

They try to make it cute by having animated toe fungus. Nothing will ever make toe fungus cute and lovable. And also mucus, for that matter. Cartoon snot isn't in any way more appealing than actual snot.

I use the surprise emoji when I need a horrified emoji. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

Even worse today they played a Spice Girls song and my daughter, who is younger than you are used to go to their concerts and loved their music.  BTW it was also a shock to read about Posh Spice's son getting married.  What the hell?

*Blinks* 

*Goes to grab a rocking chair and cane*

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

*Blinks* 

*Goes to grab a rocking chair and cane*

That's how I felt when a song from my childhood, came on the radio, and then I heard that it was an oldies station. Clothing from my teen years, is now considered "vintage".

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Anela said:

That's how I felt when a song from my childhood, came on the radio, and then I heard that it was an oldies station. Clothing from my teen years, is now considered "vintage".

You mean like how 15 year olds are dressing like I did when *I* was 15?  Because the t-shirt, spaghetti strap dress and combat boots look is a thing.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, PRgal said:

You mean like how 15 year olds are dressing like I did when *I* was 15?  Because the t-shirt, spaghetti strap dress and combat boots look is a thing.

Ooh, can they bring back the jeans, white tank top, open flannel shirt, and Doc Martens combo being appropriate attire at almost all but a formal event?  Because it was pretty damn great to be that comfortable and in fashion at the same time.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Come again?   Not really.  Things happen.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Come again?   Not really.  Things happen.

That's just how the system wound up attributing Gramto6's words to GaT in your post; Gramto6 was Poster A, GaT was poster B, and you were Poster C.

(As I said, it happens a fair bit, and always makes me think there must be something the software developers could do to avoid that, but I also know absolutely nothing about how to develop software!  I just figured out how this misattribution happens years ago when I noticed people posting "Weird, that wasn't me" posts, so I always fill people in now when I see them ask about it.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's how the system wound up attributing Gramto6's words to GaT in your reply.

(As I said, it happens a fair bit, and always makes me think there must be something the software developers could do to avoid that, but I also know absolutely nothing about how to develop software!  I just figured out how this misattribution happens years ago when I noticed people posting "Weird, that wasn't me" posts, so I always fill people in now when I see them ask about it.)

Thank goodness it was only about a lost dish.  I just went back where that happened, and there was one name up there ..Gat.  Maybe it’s an omen the dish will appear.  Hopefully.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ooh, can they bring back the jeans, white tank top, open flannel shirt, and Doc Martens combo being appropriate attire at almost all but a formal event?  Because it was pretty damn great to be that comfortable and in fashion at the same time.

I liked the short, fluffy chiffon skirt with opaque tights and a tight cardigan and Doc Martens look myself.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Um. That's my fall/spring/winter uniform to this day. But I have to say, I have no idea how I ran around Disneyland in my Docs back in the day. I can barely make it through Costco without the weight of them killing my back. 

I get excited about the repeat trends from trends that I love, so I can buy updated things to wear. But it is super annoying when I find a super cute top to wear, only to find out it's a crop top. Give me all of the shirt, please. Obviously, I'll be skipping the overalls and crop-top phase on the 90s revisit.

• Love 3

Geez, people, if you’re young to quit Twitter because Elon is buying it, then quit Twitter.  Don’t complain about it over and over on it!  Do it in TikTok or something. That’s my current peeve. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, GaT said:

Huh, how strange, this is my name, but I never said this:

15 MINUTES AGO

ON 4/23/2022 AT 12:29 PM, GAT SAID:

SAID:

This is the person who said it:

Sorry about that.  There was one name there on the top, so I pressed it.  @Bastet  explained it much better.😀

• Love 1

Today's peeve: people who expect instant solutions to world crises - and I mean "just us folks" as well as the media pundits.  How would these people have coped during the Great Depression or WWII just to name two biggies from the 20th century?  I am going to assume there were people who also were expecting someone to magically snap their fingers and fix things then too but somehow I think people as a whole were a little more realistic back then.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I liked the short, fluffy chiffon skirt with opaque tights and a tight cardigan and Doc Martens look myself.

I still love a short skirt/dark tights combo. I don't care how old I am -- though I work at home now, so this get-up is few and far between these days. 

• Love 1

I am normally really good about refilling the Brita water pitcher I keep in my refrigerator (my fridge doesn't have an ice/water dispenser, and I like to have cold, filtered water at the ready), but this morning I was rushing to get ready for a call and put it back practically empty.  I forgot all about it until I came home from walking in the sun a lot longer and farther than I'd intended this afternoon, opened the refrigerator, and dammit!  I was so mad at myself.  Oh, well.  I gulped down a big glass of room temperature tap water, poured another one and added ice, and then refilled the pitcher, so it was hardly the end of the world, but of all times for me to leave that empty.

And of all days for me not to take my water bottle with me while walking on a sunny afternoon, but I was just going to do something a few blocks away, and then wound up adding on two more errands; fast forward two hours, and I was parched!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I am normally really good about refilling the Brita water pitcher I keep in my refrigerator (my fridge doesn't have an ice/water dispenser, and I like to have cold, filtered water at the ready), but this morning I was rushing to get ready for a call and put it back practically empty.  I forgot all about it until I came home from walking in the sun a lot longer and farther than I'd intended this afternoon, opened the refrigerator, and dammit!  I was so mad at myself.  Oh, well.  I gulped down a big glass of room temperature tap water, poured another one and added ice, and then refilled the pitcher, so it was hardly the end of the world, but of all times for me to leave that empty.

And of all days for me not to take my water bottle with me while walking on a sunny afternoon, but I was just going to do something a few blocks away, and then wound up adding on two more errands; fast forward two hours, and I was parched!

My BF never refills ours -- and he's not generally an inconsiderate person. But this (and wiping up tiny drips on the counter) seems to go right over his head. I bet he thinks the pitcher somehow refills itself!

• LOL 4

My peeve is people complaining about some made up censure, when what they really mean is either rules about hate speech/serious misinformation, or that someone complained about something insensitive they said/wrote without anyone suggesting that they can't say it, just that people are also allowed to be offended by it. There are places around the world with some real censure, where people are afraid to even voice their opinions in front of their families, or even to think at all. We in the free western society often don't appreciate enough what we have, what our ancestors had to fight for. Noody is taking our freedom of speech just because we are asked to behave politely, not use certain words, or to just try and not be insensitive jerks.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

My peeve is people complaining about some made up censure, when what they really mean is either rules about hate speech/serious misinformation, or that someone complained about something insensitive they said/wrote without anyone suggesting that they can't say it, just that people are also allowed to be offended by it. There are places around the world with some real censure, where people are afraid to even voice their opinions in front of their families, or even to think at all. We in the free western society often don't appreciate enough what we have, what our ancestors had to fight for. Nobody is taking our freedom of speech just because we are asked to behave politely, not use certain words, or to just try and not be insensitive jerks.

Thank you. 

• Love 4

People who make a big deal of minor wardrobe malfunctions. I always appreciate someone kindly helping me out, but I get annoyed when someone else tells me my slip is showing as if my boob popped. It’s a little embarrassing if part of my dress went up, but if zero skin showed, please don’t tell me about it in a freaked out, serious tone. You’re making me feel worse and as if I exposed myself or something.

• Love 4
On 4/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, JustHereForFood said:

My peeve is people complaining about some made up censure, when what they really mean is either rules about hate speech/serious misinformation, or that someone complained about something insensitive they said/wrote without anyone suggesting that they can't say it, just that people are also allowed to be offended by it. There are places around the world with some real censure, where people are afraid to even voice their opinions in front of their families, or even to think at all. We in the free western society often don't appreciate enough what we have, what our ancestors had to fight for. Noody is taking our freedom of speech just because we are asked to behave politely, not use certain words, or to just try and not be insensitive jerks.

This.  And there are people who take their beliefs with them when they move to the west.  I come from a culture where you are supposed to respect your elders.  There are older people who still say “sai lo jai, doh see gon!” (Rough translation:  mind your own business, kid!), so it can be tough, even for an adult, to correct someone.  I once brought that up in a diversity seminar only to be met with nasty comments.  And here I thought they wanted diversity, to increase inclusion, etc…

• Love 4
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

You’re making me feel worse and as if I exposed myself or something.

And if you did, and it was an accident who TF cares. I had my two piece top come up on me at the bottom of a slide at Disney. I've never seen my group of friends circle anyone so fast. And of course there were some requisite "haha, we saw your boobs". Yea, yea, you're in your 40s, I sure hope mine aren't the first boobs you've seen. 😅

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 4/28/2022 at 7:18 PM, RealHousewife said:

People who make a big deal of minor wardrobe malfunctions. I always appreciate someone kindly helping me out, but I get annoyed when someone else tells me my slip is showing as if my boob popped. It’s a little embarrassing if part of my dress went up, but if zero skin showed, please don’t tell me about it in a freaked out, serious tone. You’re making me feel worse and as if I exposed myself or something.

I'm a teacher and one day this girl (bless her heart) approached me in a quavering, serious tone and asked to speak to me outside. I said sure. I thought someone was really wrong.

"Miss! Your BRA STRAP IS SHOWING!" (I was wearing a boatneck shirt.)

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I tried to color my hair yesterday for the first time. I resisted for 2 years of pandemic, because I was too afraid that I will botch it somehow, get the color in my eye, get an allergic reaction, that sort of thing. But I have been getting increasingly frustrated with my hair. I never like to have it for too long in the same way. The last time I had it colored was September 2019, I was going to do it again in January or February 2020 but was too busy and then you know what happened. And because I try to be super careful not to get covid, I haven't been to a hairdresser since then, which wouldn't be a problem regarding the length, because I had it short for 3 years and was going to let it grow long again anyway, so I just kept cutting the ends when they got too split and cutting my fringe short when I needed a change. But I got too frustrated with the same color for too long, so I finally ended up trying to color it.

Casualties: 2 towels, 1 old T-shirt, 1 plastic container for food because I forgot to buy a bowl to prepare the color in. About 5 hours total when I count the clean up. And instead of the bright red color I was supposed to have (think Rose Leslie for example), I have my natural brown color with just a tiny hint of red. Sigh. And it's not like I tried to have color impossible for my hair, I've had plenty of shades of red in the past, it always works well for my natural color. And I'm pretty sure I even had this exact brand at least twice, so the only problem seems to be me.

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm a teacher and one day this girl (bless her heart) approached me in a quavering, serious tone and asked to speak to me outside. I said sure. I thought someone was really wrong.

"Miss! Your BRA STRAP IS SHOWING!" (I was wearing a boatneck shirt.)

lol! Oh no, not your bra strap! How will you ever face your students again? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

lol! Oh no, not your bra strap! How will you ever face your students again? 

It's like letting everyone see you're wearing a bra means you are admitting to the world that you actually have boobs, OH NO!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I tried to color my hair yesterday for the first time. I resisted for 2 years of pandemic, because I was too afraid that I will botch it somehow, get the color in my eye, get an allergic reaction, that sort of thing. But I have been getting increasingly frustrated with my hair. I never like to have it for too long in the same way. The last time I had it colored was September 2019, I was going to do it again in January or February 2020 but was too busy and then you know what happened. And because I try to be super careful not to get covid, I haven't been to a hairdresser since then, which wouldn't be a problem regarding the length, because I had it short for 3 years and was going to let it grow long again anyway, so I just kept cutting the ends when they got too split and cutting my fringe short when I needed a change. But I got too frustrated with the same color for too long, so I finally ended up trying to color it.

Casualties: 2 towels, 1 old T-shirt, 1 plastic container for food because I forgot to buy a bowl to prepare the color in. About 5 hours total when I count the clean up. And instead of the bright red color I was supposed to have (think Rose Leslie for example), I have my natural brown color with just a tiny hint of red. Sigh. And it's not like I tried to have color impossible for my hair, I've had plenty of shades of red in the past, it always works well for my natural color. And I'm pretty sure I even had this exact brand at least twice, so the only problem seems to be me.

I've been coloring my hair since I was thirteen. For the last several years I've just used Loreal Preference and sometimes Feria. Great results every time.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2022 at 1:43 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Gross ads! I do not need to see pictures of toe fungus. Ever. 

Geez...these toe fungus ads that pop up make me sick. They're so offensive. How can anyone want to be a podiatrist? 😖

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been coloring my hair since I was thirteen. For the last several years I've just used Loreal Preference and sometimes Feria. Great results every time.

I've tried coloring my hair a few times in my late 20's. I'll be 73 next month, have some gray in the front hairline but at this point I don't give a rip. Body & hair changes are part of aging and I am OK with that. Most of my hair is still auburn, but when it all goes gray, that's who I am and I am fine with that. 

My mom passed at 67 and most of her hair was still her natural dark color, my dad was a redhead (passed at 66) and same with him.  Guess I may have some good hair genes there.  My thought is as long as I am basically healthy, aging is a natural part of life and I am OK with it. (Well, the sore knee can go away anytime! LOL)

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too at 13 also.  Been using Nice n Easy #100 for years.  Very light blonde.  Never had it done in a beauty parlor.  I hate sitting in there.  It’s enough getting my toe nails done.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 1

Today's peeve:  when you make a meal you've made dozens of times before and it just does not taste good.  I made meatloaf, a family favourite and an old standby and I have no idea why but it's just not good.  I guess today I just didn't have the love.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, SusanM said:

Today's peeve:  when you make a meal you've made dozens of times before and it just does not taste good.  I made meatloaf, a family favourite and an old standby and I have no idea why but it's just not good.  I guess today I just didn't have the love.

I recently made my famous onion dip as a treat for my DH. I don't know, I think since I was making a smaller batch than usual and I added the onions as if I were making a large bowlful it had too many onions. Never happened before.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

I have made dozens of meatloaves (meatloafs? lol) in my cooking history, and I'm fairly sure that I never got the same result twice, lol.  I tend to wing it with the ingredients, which is probably why, lol.

• Love 4

Well, I've been debating on whether or not to express my pet peeve, b/c it may seem trivial to some, but I really, really dislike having to bag my own groceries at the supermarket. I should preface that by saying that I don't mind HELPING to bag my groceries, b/c I do tend to like to bag similar items together, but the cashier rings them up and just stands there.

Back in early 2020, right before March and the COVID pandemic, NYS was set to ban all plastic bags from stores, pharmacies, etc. It was to go into effect, I believe on March 15 of that year. Many of us ran out and bought reusable canvas totes and I bought about a half-dozen reusable plastic-coated bags from my local supermarket.

So, the ban wasn't enforced for probably a good 6 months or maybe longer after the pandemic began but now it's been in effect for quite a while. If you don't bring your own bags, they charge you a quarter for a brown paper bag. Most bring their own bags. A few times I've forgotten to bring the bags from the car when I'm popping in for just a few items. They ask if I want a bag and I decline, just throw the items back into the cart and bag them with my own bags after returning to the car.

But here' s the rub. I tend to grocery shop every 2 or 3 weeks or so and have a rather large order. As I said, I don't mind helping, but with such a large order it takes me awhile and the cashier just stands there and waits for me to finish. Back during Summer breaks during my college years, I worked as a cashier and it would never occur to me to let PAYING customers, those same customers who were paying my salary, bag their own groceries.

For what it's worth, this may be a downstate NY/Long Island thing. I love Long Island, it's my home, but the work ethic of people in the service industry, stinks. Don't even get me started on Dept of Motor Vehicles. Useless!

And why I say it MAY be a Long Island thing is b/c we have a vacation home in the Pocono Mountains and the supermarket employees there are delightful. They even chat you up and ask you how things are going.  /end rant

• Love 2

@ECM1231 You aren’t alone. Last time I shopped I had to do all my bagging while two “baggers or cashiers”  had a lovely chat about their plans for the coming weekend. I don’t mind doing it, but stores are so desperate to have workers that they are letting them get away with things. Would it have hurt the cashier just to say thank you for bagging or helping? No, I get a sneer because I dared to come in to shop and actually made someone do their job. FYI in live in the SE, so it’s not just a NY thing (I’ve lived up there too). 

• Love 1