Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Ooh, I thought I was on my own about that stupid concept that families would need a billion dollars in salaries to replace a full time homemaker.  As soon as you can find me a decorator who then gets to live in the rooms s/he creates or a cook who also eats the meal with the family, then we'll talk.  Cooking and cleaning and carpooling are all very important but it's not an either/or proposition.

• Love 1

Huge pet peeve of today is people that invite themselves over and then don't show up. Don't tell me that you're on your way when you live 10 minutes away and an hour later you still aren't here!

Why do people so stuff like that?! If I'm expected by somebody and I'm either going to be late or can't make it, I call them to let them know. I'd feel like an asshole otherwise.

Oh well. She's now over an hour late, I turned off all of the downstairs lights and came upstairs to watch a movie with my animals. If she shows up, I'm not answering the door.

• Love 4

Ooh, I thought I was on my own about that stupid concept that families would need a billion dollars in salaries to replace a full time homemaker.  As soon as you can find me a decorator who then gets to live in the rooms s/he creates or a cook who also eats the meal with the family, then we'll talk.  Cooking and cleaning and carpooling are all very important but it's not an either/or proposition.

Although I agree that the value of a full-time homemaker should not be calculated by taking all the various job roles that would be paid jobs in the workplace and adding them up as if it should be the sum of 5 or 6 full-time employees, if you had to replace a full-time homemaker with paid employees, it wouldn't be cheap either. Much of the push to set a value on a homemaker role comes from all the years when it was perceived as having no value. During my first marriage, after my husband and I had a baby, the life insurance agents began calling and one came over. He played a video showing how the father of a family dies and then the mother has to find a job to support them. And of course, because mom has a job now, the kids drop out of school and become juvenile delinquents. The agent then gave us the sales pitch of how my husband needed to take out a life insurance policy to prevent that horrible fate from happening to me and our child. Then the following conversation occurred:

Me: What level of life insurance should I have?

Agent: Oh, we don't usually insure wives. You don't contribute anything financially.

Me: What about the possible costs of child care and housecleaning, etc. if I died?

Agent: Oh, another family member like a grandmother or aunt could fulfill those responsibilities until your husband would remarry. Although I guess it wouldn't hurt to have you insured for $10,000 or so, in case it takes a while to find someone else.

Me: Seriously?

At the time, my husband was in his first real job out of college and not making any huge amount of money. It would have been damn near impossible for him to pay for full-time childcare. For the other things I did, such as housecleaning, laundry, paying bills, etc., yes, he could have assumed those responsibilities himself, but doing so in addition to his regular job would have left him no time to spend with our child.

So while I disagree that the value of a homemaker should be 6 full-time salaries combined, there is significant value to it.  Although I haven't been a homemaker in over 20 years, for a while I was a single parent who had to pay for full-time childcare while I was at work and then also had to take care of the other homemaker responsibilities after getting home from work. It was exhausting and expensive. I hate the stereotype of housewives having nothing to do except sit on the couch, watch TV, and eat candy.

• Love 1

I once took a Women's Studies course (KMN), and we read a study following a mother through the course of her day. The writer recorded that the mother spent 30 minutes making breakfast.  No, she didn't.  She spent perhaps 5 minutes total active work time - pouring the milk, putting the bread in the toaster, then cleaning up. The other 25 minutes was spent sitting next to her child, while they both ate.  "A load of laundry takes 1 hour".  No, it takes 5 minutes of active time to put things in the machines and take them out, perhaps another few minutes to put things away. The rest of the time, the machines are doing the work while you are relaxing, or doing other work.

Don't big up your part, mom.   

And the thing is (speaking from personal experience, which, I know, is anecdotal evidence) that although SAHM do a lot, moms who work at jobs outside the home don't have cooks and housecleaners and laundry workers and chauffeurs. I still have to cook dinner. Instill have to do all the laundry. I still drive my son places and expect to do more as he gets older and has more places to go. Yeah, my husband does stuff (not "helping" because it's his house and job, too). He washes all the dishes and dusts. He cooks breakfast for our son. He gives the boy his bath. But I think he would do a lot of that even if I stayed home because it is his house too. So it's not like I work outside the home and then come home and do nothing. All that stuff is still there to do.

The new house came with all stainless steel appliances which are very attractive; however, they show every single smudge!  I may have to knit handle cozies for my fridge & microwave because every little thing shows up!  I am wiping down finger prints, palm prints, etc...a zillion times a day!  And I am not even super neurotic over stuff like that (other stuff, yeah...).

• Love 1

The new house came with all stainless steel appliances which are very attractive; however, they show every single smudge!  I may have to knit handle cozies for my fridge & microwave because every little thing shows up!  I am wiping down finger prints, palm prints, etc...a zillion times a day!  And I am not even super neurotic over stuff like that (other stuff, yeah...).

You know what's worse?  the BLACK shiny appliances.  Ugh!  

Rats.  I've begun looking at kitchen finishes for a potential remodel a few years from now and I thought since I can't keep the white clean, stainless steel or black would be the answer.

I'm beginning to see that the only way to keep my kitchen clean would be to rope it off for display only.

Figure out what color your smudges usually are and go with that.

The new house came with all stainless steel appliances which are very attractive; however, they show every single smudge! I may have to knit handle cozies for my fridge & microwave because every little thing shows up! I am wiping down finger prints, palm prints, etc...a zillion times a day! And I am not even super neurotic over stuff like that (other stuff, yeah...).

But stainless steel is the best, isn't it? Have all the home buyers on HGTV shows been lying to me? Next you'll tell me granite countertops aren't best. Edited by auntlada
  • Love 2

Oh my - it never occurred to me that something could be worse than the stainless steel.  On the spectrum of world problems, appliance smudges are pretty low...I'll keep that in mind.  At least I don't have to blame myself for the finish choice - the house came with them, so it was just part of the package.

OK, as long as we're talking kitchens. Why is it getting so hard to find a kitchen that is SEPARATE from the breakfast/dining room? Has no kitchen designer under 60  ever cooked cabbage/boiled eggs? Sometimes, it's best that other folks in the house DO NOT have to smell what's cookin'. Also, sometimes it's more convenient to have a separate kitchen  where one may retreat from more obnoxious house guests while considering  how to make the best of things/ whether to throw them out ! Thankfully, my abode has a separate kitchen but if I ever need to find a new place, I dread not being able to find one without a separate kitchen.

• Love 2

Stainless steel is a trend right now. It'll go the way of avocado and harvest gold in a few years, mark my words.

Back when I had my condo and a small amount of expendable income, I started replacing the kitchen appliances with the long-term plan of remodeling the kitchen (that never happened). I got black appliances with a textured finish (we're talking low-end GE here, not Viking), which are great for hiding dirt and fingerprints. Black never goes out of style.

OK, as long as we're talking kitchens. Why is it getting so hard to find a kitchen that is SEPARATE from the breakfast/dining room? Has no kitchen designer under 60  ever cooked cabbage/boiled eggs? Sometimes, it's best that other folks in the house DO NOT have to smell what's cookin'. Also, sometimes it's more convenient to have a separate kitchen  where one may retreat from more obnoxious house guests while considering  how to make the best of things/ whether to throw them out ! Thankfully, my abode has a separate kitchen but if I ever need to find a new place, I dread not being able to find one without a separate kitchen.

It costs more to put up more walls and make separate rooms.

Figure out what color your smudges usually are and go with that.

But stainless steel is the best, isn't it? Have all the home buyers on HGTV shows been lying to me? Next you'll tell me granite countertops aren't best.

This place has black countertops - I think Corian.  Every little crumb shows up like it has its own floodlight!

I bought the house from my brother's mother-in-law.  It always looked quite nice when I saw it but she lived by herself, didn't cook (ate out most of the time), and probably only used the kitchen to make her morning coffee.  My little kitchen is beautiful when every thing is put away, all smudges and crumbs are cleaned up, etc...but we actually live here and use the kitchen, so I just need to get my head right and say "smudge happens" or "crumbs happen" or ...

It has been my experience that stainless finish shows dirt and smudges, but stainless steel does not. However, black (not matte) shows everything. My place came with stainless and black appliances.  My stainless steel fridge hides the dirt so well you often don't know it's there until you feel it (ick), but the stainless finish microwave shows dirt.  Again, nothing like the black surfaces do, but more than the real stainless steel.  With the black, you just need to be near it and it shows smudges.  I've decided that when the time comes I'll replace my stainless and black with either stainless and white or all white.  I had white growing up and it never showed the smudges like the black does. 

• Love 1

The smell of most vinegar makes me gag.  I use diluted white vinegar to clean my windows (I wish I could use ammonia, but Pella says use vinegar) and I have to wear a mask.  Making the Easter egg dye as a kid?  Not fun.

I'm glad baby kitty is ok

Although I agree that the value of a full-time homemaker should not be calculated by taking all the various job roles that would be paid jobs in the workplace and adding them up as if it should be the sum of 5 or 6 full-time employees, if you had to replace a full-time homemaker with paid employees, it wouldn't be cheap either. Much of the push to set a value on a homemaker role comes from all the years when it was perceived as having no value. During my first marriage, after my husband and I had a baby, the life insurance agents began calling and one came over. He played a video showing how the father of a family dies and then the mother has to find a job to support them. And of course, because mom has a job now, the kids drop out of school and become juvenile delinquents. The agent then gave us the sales pitch of how my husband needed to take out a life insurance policy to prevent that horrible fate from happening to me and our child. Then the following conversation occurred:

Me: What level of life insurance should I have?

Agent: Oh, we don't usually insure wives. You don't contribute anything financially.

Me: What about the possible costs of child care and housecleaning, etc. if I died?

Agent: Oh, another family member like a grandmother or aunt could fulfill those responsibilities until your husband would remarry. Although I guess it wouldn't hurt to have you insured for $10,000 or so, in case it takes a while to find someone else.

Me: Seriously?

At the time, my husband was in his first real job out of college and not making any huge amount of money. It would have been damn near impossible for him to pay for full-time childcare. For the other things I did, such as housecleaning, laundry, paying bills, etc., yes, he could have assumed those responsibilities himself, but doing so in addition to his regular job would have left him no time to spend with our child.

So while I disagree that the value of a homemaker should be 6 full-time salaries combined, there is significant value to it.  Although I haven't been a homemaker in over 20 years, for a while I was a single parent who had to pay for full-time childcare while I was at work and then also had to take care of the other homemaker responsibilities after getting home from work. It was exhausting and expensive. I hate the stereotype of housewives having nothing to do except sit on the couch, watch TV, and eat candy.

I can't stop laughing.

'Lurker try something called barkeeper's friend.  It's non abrasive creamy ajax basically.  Won't scratchless/odorless.  When little Wilder and the squad are home on break if it weren't for this stuff, I'd spend my weekends recovering from smudge seizures.

When she was little, most of the moms at school were SAHMs.  One of them was super kind, she'd help me out with before/after care sometimes.  I remember rushing to her house through hideous traffic one day and I got there and all the littles were playing happily.  I thanked her profusely and she hand waved and said I don't work, it's the least I can do.  I thought to myself, well if being up at 5am and making the rounds for/with 4 kids all day every day isn't work, I'd trade places with her in a heartbeat.  

If we have to deal with Christie, legislators need to do us a solid and leave the gas pumping "debate" alone.   Go bother Oregon, they don't get outta the car either.  lol.

Why is it getting so hard to find a kitchen that is SEPARATE from the breakfast/dining room? Has no kitchen designer under 60  ever cooked cabbage/boiled eggs? Sometimes, it's best that other folks in the house DO NOT have to smell what's cookin'. Also, sometimes it's more convenient to have a separate kitchen  where one may retreat from more obnoxious house guests while considering  how to make the best of things/ whether to throw them out.

We remodeled  our house a couple of years ago and made sure we could close the kitchen off from the living room.  Most architects wanted to push the idea of  an "open plan" kitchen.  I agree with the above reasons for a separate kitchen.  We also wanted a separate room due to the noise generated from the kitchen by blenders, mixers, microwaves, food processors and dishwashers.  My husband would often complain when he was trying to watch TV and I was in the kitchen using an appliance, and he couldn't hear the dialog without turning up the volume.  We recently visited my brother-in-law, who has an open kitchen, and had trouble hearing the TV for the entire time the dishwasher was running.   Also, I don't really like to have people watch me when I cook, I'm self conscious about it.  Our present kitchen is big enough for an audience, but I'd generally like to be alone unless I'm doing something simple like stirring a pot on the stove.

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 2

Agreed.  And sometimes cooking for larger gatherings or events has me using up every pot, pan, spatula, etc...in my kitchen.  I don't necessarily want people here for a party or holiday meal to see the sheer volume of things that get dirty nor do I want to look at the pile of used dishes while I am trying to eat.

• Love 2

That whole open concept idea is a scam so they can spend less money by putting up fewer walls.  My kitchen is a huge eat in kitchen, separate from the living and dining room. If I ever move, I suspect I'm going to have to spend money to put walls up unless I move into an older home. I like separate rooms for all the reasons mentioned above, but also because you can then paint all different colors and it doesn't really have to match if it's a separate room. 

I kind of hate stainless appliances too. When we redid the kitchen we got black, but that's because our oddly sized wall oven only came in black, so we basically had no choice in the matter. 

• Love 1

I think stay at home moms play up their role because let's be honest, a lot of people look down on them and think they do nothing and that they have it made. People also think they're lazy and don't want to work.

I was both a stay at home mom and a single working mom, I was looked down on because I preffered to stay home with my kids. I was lucky to be able to make that choice.

Working moms thought I was wrong and stay at home moms thought I was doing the right thing.

I was never looked down on as a working mom but when I would say I was a stay at home mom, 9 times out of 10 I would hear "you don't work?" said in a condescending tone. I kind of see that attitude right here.

After hearing that a million times, I built up a defense by saying that as a matter of fact, I do work and I would list the things I did in an average day.

When stay at home moms say things like that, I don't think they're saying that working moms don't do those things, they're just pointing out that they do work, just not outside the home.

Nobody is implying that working mothers don't do the things that stay at home moms do, I don't know where that comes from.

Having done both, I can say that both are tough. But being looked down on and being belittled for "not working" gets old and you build up a defense.

Stay at home moms don't get a lot of respect.

• Love 2

I think you're right, but I also think moms in general don't get a lot of respect.

I don't get outright comments like that, but I do feel, let's say judged, because I don't stay home with my child all day and put him in daycare where someone else takes care of him while I go to a job. I know a number of moms who quit their jobs when they had children and made it work financially. We would not have been able to do that -- especially and be able to move out of the moldy, mildewy dump we were living in when he was born.

Also, quite honestly, I just don't think I could do it. It's not a matter of talking to adults (which is the thing people always say). I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but I just don't think I'm cut out to spend all day every day with a small child. I'm glad that other people are (or I wouldn't have good childcare).

It's the same feeling I get when people ask me, "Is he going to go to public school?" as though homeschooling were the only right choice there.

Possibly motherhood comes with a general feeling of defensiveness, however, since as soon as you're pregnant, you start seeing all the articles that explain how whatever it is you are doing is wrong and will ruin your child forever. If anything goes wrong, it must be the mother's fault -- something she ate or drank or did or didn't eat or drink or do. I just wish everyone would get off mothers' backs once in a while and stop explaining how they are mothering wrong.

• Love 3

Yeah, I've been a stay at home mom, a working part time mom, a working full time mom.   All at different stages. I felt I always made the choice my kids needed at the time.   Or at least I TRIED to make the right choice.  At times I regretted not being around for certain events in my kids' lives.  at other times I regretted not moving forward more career-wise.  

One thing I do know, though.  I always stressed the child-rearing part of being home, not the house-keeping part. If I was home, I was there to take care of the kids, not to clean the house.  I  wasn't "at home"  much, either.  We went on adventures every day, always found places to explore, parks, libraries, nature centers, museums, off to friends' houses, visit relatives.  And then when I went back to work, I worked evenings/weekends  while my husband was home.  that made him step up and do a lot more of the parenting.

Mothers are the ones who have the GUILT for not being perfect mothers.   Fathers?  Not so much.   I worried I wasn't doing things right, not doing enough.  My husband always had the attitude that he was doing so much more parenting than HIS father did, so he was a great dad.  That's how a lot of fathers think about it.  They set the bar at "better than my father did", while women set the bar at "better then EVERY MOTHER EVER". 

• Love 3

Possibly motherhood comes with a general feeling of defensiveness,

I think you're on to something there.  As someone who has no children, I don't feel the going opinion is that moms are looked down upon.  In fact, give me a dollar for every time someone in the media starts her opinion with "As a mom..." and the world is supposed to defer to the producer of "our most precious resource"!  

• Love 1

"If you had children, you would understand....", even if the subject has nothing to do with children.  Because the act of reproducing immediately imparts wisdom on every subject.  Notwithstanding that 14 year-olds all over town are reproducing, and I'm not seeing any great wisdom on their part.

• Love 3

Mothers are the ones who have the GUILT for not being perfect mothers.   Fathers?  Not so much.   I worried I wasn't doing things right, not doing enough.  My husband always had the attitude that he was doing so much more parenting than HIS father did, so he was a great dad.  That's how a lot of fathers think about it.  They set the bar at "better than my father did", while women set the bar at "better then EVERY MOTHER EVER". 

While there is generally a pretty low bar set for Dads, I know several that are outstanding parents (which deletes the gender standard in my head).  In some cases, better parents than their kids' mom is.  In each case, they seem to be interacting with the child based on that individual child's needs and not so much concerned what culture or society says is proper parenting.

I'm with backformore - I'm not going to get too freaked out if my house does not look photo-ready every single day.  I'd rather have my kids feel safe and that home is somewhere that they can relax.  Even at my households most chaotic, I've had friends come over and say they like being at our house because they like how it is not stressful.

• Love 1

In "close to home" topics, I genuinely don't get the point of someone posting on a discussion board just to say "I hate this." Say it's a forum for knitting and GramsInKansas logs in to say she thinks knitting is a waste of time. Sure, all opinions are welcome, but isn't it basic online etiquette that one's post should add something to the discussion? If the forum's about -- I don't know, let's say television -- I can understand people watching the first few episodes of a show and saying it wasn't for them, and I also get hate posting, disappointment posting, and I'm done with this posting, but I have to believe that the random, "this show is stupid" posts* just come down to trolling. Which peeves me to begin with, but then the people who leap to knitting's defense only make it worse.

* And by implication, all the people watching are stupid.

• Love 4

In "close to home" topics, I genuinely don't get the point of someone posting on a discussion board just to say "I hate this." Say it's a forum for knitting and GramsInKansas logs in to say she thinks knitting is a waste of time. ...but I have to believe that the random, "this show is stupid" posts* just come down to trolling. Which peeves me to begin with, but then the people who leap to knitting's defense only make it worse.

I've got to believe that last sentence is one you never expected to write...and by leaping to knitting's defense, they are giving the troll satisfaction that they stirred some folks up.

All it makes me think is that Little GIK did not get enough attention as a child.

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't know that I understand hate-watching as a phenomenon.  I mean if I feel that strongly about how much I dislike a thing, isn't it weird to make it a point to see it?  It's not going to make me like it all of a sudden.  Will it?  There are some characters on some shows I just don't cotton to and never will but if I really dislike it as a whole making sure I have to see it would be sort of baffling.

Baffling.  Sorry, I just like that enough to say it again.

• Love 3

Television-related, and I know this should probably go in the Commercials forum, but I don't care.

For the love of all that is Holy, does Liberty Mutual have stock in ALL the local cable channels? I cannot get away from those annoying, smug, pretentious Liberty Mutual insurance commercials! Especially since out of all the insurance companies in my area, they are the most expensive! They drive me nuts. Especially the one with the two people talking to each other about how their premiums go up when, whatever. As if their audience are idiots. Actually, the dialogue for most of them treat the audience as morons.  I always fast forward them, since I dvr all shows I watch, but on the occasions where I don't, I have to suffer through them. And no, changing the channel doesn't help, becuase if I switch to another channel, waiting until the commercial is over, that other channel will have the same damned commercial-with the other "actors!"

They make me extremely stabby.  And I'm a fairly even-tempered person. Honest.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
I cannot get away from those annoying, smug, pretentious Liberty Mutual insurance commercials!

Testify!

Even though I don't watch live TV and FF through commercials on my recordings, it's not precise and I end up inadvertently seeing parts of some ads. I agree that 90% of the time it seems to be that damned Liberty Mutual series of people in front of the Statue of Liberty green screen, all "You loved your car. You named it Brad".  Hate! At least Flo has some humor.

Ya know, I'm occasionally forced to watch unskippable ads online, but even then I mute. Honest to dog, I have no idea how I'm familiar with so many commercials. There's a research study in there somewhere.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

LOL!!!!!    At our house, we talk back to the morons on the Liberty Mutual commercials.  

Like the one who says "you do the research, gas mileage, TORQUE RATIOS...then you drive your car into a tree.......... and then  ...Maybe you should have researched your insurance company!"   

Nope - maybe you should have learned to drive!  If you buy a new car and drive it into a tree, it's not the insurance company that's the issue.   

Oh, and the woman who loved her car and named it Brad -  she does her happy dance when she gets the insurance check.  So much for loving Brad, huh? 

Liberty Insurance, the insurance company for morons who don't understand how insurance is supposed to work! 

• Love 1

Pet Peeve: Getting a longterm illness that basically keeps you housebound, then finding out your most favorite singer is coming to your hometown on what's expected to be his last major concert tour (& you haven't missed any of his previous 5 shows in your hometown & don't wanna miss this 1 either). Sigh...

• Love 1
Yeah, I don't know that I understand hate-watching as a phenomenon.  I mean if I feel that strongly about how much I dislike a thing, isn't it weird to make it a point to see it?  It's not going to make me like it all of a sudden.  Will it?
Yeah, I don't get it either. The thread I went into right after this one has a couple of posters whose posts are always negative and complaining. Now, I happen to enjoy the show, which is why I'm reading and posting to a thread about it, but I don't like every single thing every single episode so sometimes my "loved that bit!" posts contain "that could've been better." But if all you ever post is negatives, and how you don't like anything, and you have been doing that since the first episode, I have to wonder why you're still watching the show 80+ episodes in and pissing in everyone else's cornflakes.

On a related note, dear Mods, is there a way to block quoted posts of someone you've set to Ignore?

• Love 1

There are a couple of shows that I watch that I hate and I honestly don't know why I watch them. One of them pisses me off and raises my blood pressure but still I watch.

I really don't know why.

Now I want to know who ABay has on ignore. I guess if they don't respond to this, I'll know that it's me. Ha-ha.

Hi ABay!

• Love 1

I hate watched "How I Met Your Mother" the last few years.

I considered hate watching with my follow posters as the only reason I could Kubler-Ross my way to acceptance that I might've wasted part of my life on it but that was okay.

• Love 1

My up-to-the-minute peeve: College students who can't STFU in the library. See also: no one has an inside voice anymore. I would love to have a slowly turning neon sign over the reference desk that says "Shut the fuck up!" Jesus. You need to scream your conversations, go to the fucking student center.

ABay, you made me laugh so hard. I would love to see that sign. In the public library, too. High schoolers don't know how to be quiet, either. . 

• Love 1
On a related note, dear Mods, is there a way to block quoted posts of someone you've set to Ignore?

There is not, which is a peeve and on topic, so there!

Now I want to know who ABay has on ignore. I guess if they don't respond to this, I'll know that it's me. Ha-ha!

I can see you, Maharincess! Although my blindfold bucket is pretty full at around 15.

• Love 1

Why would anyone come to my door, well after dark when the front porch light is off, to try to talk to me about their Lord and Savior?

I don't want to be antagonistic and I appreciate their polite manner of speaking, but I find myself thinking very uncharitable thoughts about the whole thing.  I am perfectly comfortable with my own set of beliefs and feel no need to discuss them with anyone other than my children (who are encouraged to make up their own mind about religion and politics).

The only people who generally come to my door after dark without calling first are my nephews.  One generally lets himself in with the key he was given, the other tends to knock (despite having a key).  They know they are welcome at anytime so let themselves in, even if we are not home (which I am totally ok with).

• Love 1

If the forum's about -- I don't know, let's say television -- I can understand people watching the first few episodes of a show and saying it wasn't for them, and I also get hate posting, disappointment posting, and I'm done with this posting, but I have to believe that the random, "this show is stupid" posts* just come down to trolling. 

That's what, as you've probably seen me saying before, gets me about shows that, over the years, have not been my cup of tea-- FriendsSeinfeldLittle House, etc. As I have said before, while those are not my cup of tea and never have been, I cannot judge those who enjoy them as being stupid by implication. After all, those shows do have fanbases, and if I offended a fan of one of those shows, what's to say that they wouldn't come back at me and call me stupid by implication for seeing something that they think is stupid?

• Love 1

I know it means a lot to a lot of people but I hate that this Super Bowl is basically in my backyard this year. The city is insane and has been for a week, I live about 20-25 minutes away and the fireworks are so loud that I can hear them inside my house.

Every local channel has nothing but Super Bowl stuff, and its the stupidest coverage. They are covering every teeny tiny detail and making news out of it.

Us locals can't wait for it to be over.

• Love 3

I really, really don't like nor pay attention to sports. I think most except for some Olympic sports are tediously boring.

I asked my coworker this week when the Super Bowl is. He said Sunday. I asked sheepishly, "Are we (Carolina Panthers) in it?" He said incredulously, "Uh, YEAH." I had an inkling, but honestly didn't know. I work all the time, don't watch the news and don't do much social media. *shrug*

• Love 3