Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I hate when people with air conditioning in their homes, jobs and cars complain to me about how hot it is. These wimps wouldn't last an hour at my house.

It works the other way as well, when people who have heat in their homes, jobs and cars in the winter complain about how cold it is. 

• Love 3

We don't use much heat in the winter, being in California it doesn't get that cold, we'll just use the fireplace on occasion but if I get cold I just layer up and grab my furry throw.

We've always been super conservative with our utility use, we've worked to hard for our money to waste it by giving it to the electric/gas company. We have all energy saver appliances and we don't use electricity unless we really need it. When my husband is home and he watches TV, he'll sit in the dark. I don't go that far but I try to conserve too.

Our electric bill is less than 50 a month on average. My daughter's runs about $300.

I know, but I'm one who sets the thermostat and leaves it, even if I am "suffering". High as I can stand in the summer and low in the winter. Cats help keep me warm, and I'm usually warm.

I hate spending money on energy bills worse than I hate being uncomfortable!

I hate it too. My daughter and son in law have either the heat or the ac on all year. They are also terrible about leaving lights on when they aren't needed. I cringe when I go over there as I'm mentally counting how much they are uneccesarily spending.

People say we're fanatics about conserving energy like we do but our low bills show us that it's worth it.

Give me my AC in the summer...as long as it's warm outside, I've got it running + the ceiling fans.  I always have a sweater nearby in case I'm someplace where the AC is running too high (like Harris Teeter supermarket...I take a sweater, that I keep in the car, with me wrapped around my waist and once I'm chilled, I put that wonderful sweater on).  We keep the thermostat on 74 in the summer (unless Mr. P914 tries to sneak it up to 75 and I can tell almost immediately...I start feeling prickly and my face burns).  If they ever outlaw AC (due to climate change), I'll have to move to Hudson Bay, Canada!  Just call me Nanook of the North ;>)

• Love 3

Wow, 74!  I'd be chilled, especially with ceiling fans.  I have mine at 80 when it's really hot, but usually 82.  I knew our weather was improving today when I had to switch from 80 to 82 in the office because it was getting a little chilly (it's the smallest room that's air conditioned, so the ceiling fan really moves the cool air all around the room).  Before long, I changed the other units as well.  (I have a Mitsubishi electric ductless AC system, so I have a separate control for each room in which there is AC.)

I don't think I've ever had it below 78.

Oh, man. I could live with 78 as long as there were fans, and I didn't have to move around too much. I don't think I could sleep, though, especially since I really like to sleep with a heavy blanket on me. I just can't sleep with anything too light. I have to have that weight.

And if it gets too hot (above 70) at night, my husband has bad dreams that he has trouble waking up from. I have to yell and poke him hard, preferably from a distance since if he only wakes up partway, he thinks I'm what is attacking him in his dream. I think my son got both of our habits. He wakes up more if it's warmer at night, and he likes to sleep with a quilt and a blanket.

That's why I complain when it's hot (which it gets here on the Plains in the summer) even though I have air conditioning. I hate the electric bill, but if I turn the thermostat up, no one sleeps. I much prefer winter because I can turn the thermostat down and just put on warm clothes. The only good thing about summer is that the natural gas bill is low.

I use the "equal payment plan" or whatever it's called for my electricity and did for gas when I had it at my last place. I've done it for as long as the utilities have offered it. They predict what your monthly bill will be based upon past usage and you pay the same amount for 11 months. On the 12th month, you settle up. I like knowing for budgeting. I feel like the only person using this plan; no one else I know uses it. My sister will say, "I like having a low gas bill in summer." But then it's high in winter. I mean, what??

• Love 1

And if it gets too hot (above 70) at night, my husband has bad dreams that he has trouble waking up from. I have to yell and poke him hard, preferably from a distance since if he only wakes up partway, he thinks I'm what is attacking him in his dream. I think my son got both of our habits. He wakes up more if it's warmer at night, and he likes to sleep with a quilt and a blanket.

You just touched on my own personal pet-peeve that I deal with to the point of wanting to hire a hypnotist to stop myself from this ongoing sleep nightmare: night terrors!!!!

Sounds like your husband and your son both suffer from Night Terrors, or Pavor Nocturnus.

It's an actual sleep disorder that is temperature/circumstantial-based---I've suffered from it my entire life, as my mom also has. It's typically hereditary. It also is often the result of PTSD, as many war veterans or abused people suffer from it as well.

And you're smart to wake your husband from a distance, because waking sufferers up from these terrors can often be dangerous. I've hit my husband in the head and/or kicked him in the middle of my episodes, so he's learned to be careful as well.

I also can't sleep well in a warmer setting and sometimes have trouble adjusting to a new bed or bedroom on vacation---I shared a bed with a girlfriend last year and later learned that I grabbed her arm and gave her the death stare in my sleep, much to my amused embarrassment.

That's the thing: we typically don't remember these episodes and it can be embarrassing even stressful to us sufferers((which in turn can cause anxiety that will wake us up even more)), so just be sure to be sensitive to your boys when you deal with them during by an episode, and they'll be fine.

I've thought about medication concerning my own night terror issues, but apparently mine isn't severe or regular enough to warrant such medication.

Some sufferers have it so badly that they hurt themselves or others pretty badly and have some pretty horrific yelling/screaming episodes---there's a guy out there who nearly killed himself trying to throw himself out a window several times, for instance. I hate that I deal with it, but at least I don't wake up bloody or on stairwells or choking anyone!

Edited by Sun-Bun

The weather is cool, football is on today and I want to put up some fall decorations regardless of the fact that my house is mostly a construction zone. Naturally I can't find a single nail or a hammer despite the fact that I hid a hammer and nails for my own personal use should such an occasion arise. My husband must have found them and put them in his truck (along with the ten other hammers he must have already in the truck). So, I loaded the kids up to go to the dollar store (the closest store within 15 miles to my house) and of course they were completely out of both push pins and command hooks. What the hell? Completely frustrated I come back home and find a high powered staple gun and get to work. Well, I'm no good with the thing but I made it work. When my husband gets home from his job today he can keep his mouth to himself when he sees all the rouge staples in the wall. That will teach him to leave one friggin hammer at home!!

• Love 2

I use the "equal payment plan" or whatever it's called for my electricity and did for gas when I had it at my last place. I've done it for as long as the utilities have offered it. They predict what your monthly bill will be based upon past usage and you pay the same amount for 11 months. On the 12th month, you settle up. I like knowing for budgeting. I feel like the only person using this plan; no one else I know uses it. My sister will say, "I like having a low gas bill in summer." But then it's high in winter. I mean, what??

Me too. I prefer having a stable bill rather than a few months of a very large bill. I was so happy to be able to use the "budget plan" as our gas company calls it, after several years of unpredictable (and high) oil bills.

I feel so guilty after reading all these comments about the AC and those that have it and still complain about how hot it is.

Me: Guilty..

When I lived in an apartment, where I had to pay the electric bill, I kept the thermostat at close to 80 during the summer and utilized a fan if it wasn't cool enough. But where I live now? All utilities included in the rent, so I don't have to pay the utilities separately, and this summer, I've kept the damned thing at 68! I've never done that before. Maybe it's residual effects from chemo, I don't know. And I don't have a fan anymore (long story about where it is) and like auntlada, I need the heaviness of a quilt when sleeping.

I never have a problem in the Winter, because, quilt, so I keep the thermostat at 68 at night and during the day when I'm at work. If it gets really cold, like in the single digits, then I'll push it up to 70.

And I live on the East Coast, but I've spent three or four summers in India, and survived them, so I don't really complain about how hot it is here, because it's nothing compared to the heat in India. Hell, when I went to Texas three years ago for a business trip, we arrived at night and it was 103, and it felt GLORIOUS. Dry Heat.  It's the humidity that kills you.  

So I winced at almost each comment, thinking that's me they can't stand! Or rather, I fall into that group. I mean, even today, it's not that hot outside, but I've got my thermostat at 68 and I'm...comfortable.

And I'm a person that LOVES Summer.

• Love 1

I live in Los Angeles, so our cold days/nights are not all that cold.  In winter, I have the thermostat set to come on before I get up and heat the house up to 68, and then it's set at 66 for the day for the cat.  It heats back up to 68 right before the time I usually get home.  (And I just keep it as is when I'm working out of my home office; 66 is fine with me, since I'll just add socks and a cardigan to my typical loungewear.)  I keep it off overnight (well, since it has to be set at something for those hours, it's set at 50, but it never gets that cold so it's effectively off).  I have a down blanket, plus a comforter, plus a cat -- I stay plenty warm in bed.

One of my close friends lives in Chicago, so when I mention in our email conversations "it's cold today!" I always have to add the "yeah, I know, I know" disclaimer since I'm referring to a daytime temp in the 50s while she's shoveling snow in sub-zero temps.

We always need rain so badly, so I try not to complain when we get it, but it makes traffic terrible and - bringing this back to peeves - I hate umbrellas.  Obviously, I enjoy being protected from the rain while walking, but then I get inside and I have this nasty dripping thing to deal with.  If it's a light rain and I don't have to meet with anyone (and thus it doesn't matter if I'm a little damp and frizzy), I just get wet rather than deal with one.  My dad is the same way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

bringing this back to peeves - I hate umbrellas.  Obviously, I enjoy being protected from the rain while walking, but then I get inside and I have this nasty dripping thing to deal with.  

I hate them too.  The only ones that really keep you dry are the huge ones which are tall and heavy and a pain to carry dry and a dripping messy pain to carry wet.   Because of that I have ended up forgetting so many of them on the subway or the bus in recent years that I have switched over to carrying the smaller lightweight foldable ones that fit into my bag - but since they are smaller they basically just keep your head dry and the water runs directly down onto the back of your legs.   Unless it's really pouring I tend not to use one at all. But spring and summer in NYC are sudden downpour thunderstorm seasons so there's no escaping umbrellas.  I tried various ponchos but they're even worse for carrying around when they're wet.  Sigh.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Me three on the umbrellas.  It's true that to be really effective, at least in my case, a golf umbrella (very wide and heavy) is the way to go; but lots of time when we have serious rain, we have serious wind, too, which adds a whole new, sometimes fairly dangerous, dimension to walking the mutt.  Plus, he doesn't like stuff over his head so won't walk under it, and if it's a driving rain your legs (at least) are still going to get soaked.  Unless it's screaming, pouring rain, I shove my hair up under a baseball cap and wear a rain jacket.  (Hoods are kind of dangerous to wear in my neighborhood of fast, careless drivers, so not a great option for me).   Umbrellas mean so well, but fall so short of their promises.

• Love 1

I find with umbrellas, I get just as wet trying to get in the car/building as I would if I just ran without an umbrella. When it's raining, my husband always tries to walk with an umbrella over the both of us, which is nice of him, but I hate it. I'm a fast walker, and I find that walking with another person and an umbrella means walking very slowly. Also, even a big umbrella doesn't work well for two. He hates it when I just run ahead, though, because he's trying to be nice.

• Love 2

I can't find the post but I want to cyber tackle the poster who just recently said they can tell when their husband moves the temperature up one degree. I can also! After much back and forth we decided on 72 and he keeps trying to sneak it up to 73. I can take heat, but I can't take humidity or when it gets stuffy in the house. I start being not able to breath and have horrible coughing spells. I would rather have the windows up with air coming in than have it stuffy. I also have the opposite in the winter. I keep it on 70 or below. And I keep my kitchen window open about an inch and always have my bedroom window open. Sometimes it is opened half way even when it is really cold. I don't get hot flashes, I just can't stand it being stuffy.

That be moi ;>)  Wow...you're lucky to have it on 72 or 73 (when my husband is out of town, the thermostat goes down to 72 or 73).  I've found that the ceiling fans really help so that when the thermostat is on 74, I'm ok.  But let it be sneakily shoved up one degree?  Yikes.  I'm just burning up.  I have friends who keep their thermostats at 78 and I can't go to their homes in the summer (they bring sweaters when they come here).  We had some windows open today to air out the house since it's so beautiful and cool outside.  Yay - autumn is getting closer!

For me, a low 90s dry heat is perfectly bearable.  Once you start inching up towards 100, yeah, hot is hot whether wet or dry.  But until you hit about 93-95, I don't care unless there is serious humidity as well.

The hottest summer I remember was when I was a kid. We went to stay with my aunt and uncle up near Oklahoma, and we pulled into town at noon. It was 114° and even a dry heat doesn't help much at that temperature.

No, it doesn't. In the summer of 2011, we had a lot of days like that. I'll always remember it because my son was born in September that year, so I was pregnant and hot in July and August.

We usually have a get together at my brother's each weekend.  Their son-in-law typically sits at the kitchen table perusing his fancy cell throughout even when there is a table full of people.  SIL is substantially older than my neice - in fact, he's closer to my age than hers.  My brother works in computer and is tech junkie, all his kids are very tech savvy yet all of them manage to put down their devices once a week during the get together.

They have two kids - a 4 year old and a newborn.  Way to set an example.

Again, I feel like I'm the odd one out. I've been in places where it's 100+ and humidity is out of control (Mumbai) and even here in the MD/DC area; and I've been where it's 100+ and it's dry heat. Yes, hot is hot. But for some reason, I can bear the dry heat more than I can when humidity is thrown in. With humidity, I can't breathe.  It's difficult to explain, but I'm sticking to my preference of dry over humidity + heat.

That's not to say I go out dancing and prancing when it's hot--when in India, we wouldn't leave the house until after six p.m. And the only thing to get me out in the heat would be if I was at the beach or at the pool.

ETA: Because spelling is important!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Another chair at the table of umbrella hate, please. I work in a congested area and, let me tell you, it is NOT fun trying to walk when people open their umbrellas on the crowded sidewalk. I appreciate that you don't want to get your head wet, but I'd like to walk without fear of losing my eyes, OK? 

And I've had the experience of walking with coworkers and one of them insisting that he share his umbrella with me. That was seriously awkward. We walk at different paces, we're different heights, etc. etc. But, nooooo, wouldn't listen to me when I insisted that I didn't care whether I got wet. And I don't. Whenever it starts to rain, I see people start sprinting and I just laugh. It's just water; it's not acid rain (yet) and you're not the Wicked Witch of the West. Relax.

Wife is one of those who can freakin' tell if I bump the thermostat up or down or, worse, I turn on the gas fireplace when we're caught in the "polar vortex" and she insists that 65 is perfectly comfortable. She can also tell if I shut off the AC and open the windows - she likes everything all closed up (allergies) and I like open windows. Fall is about the only time we can really agree on house temp!

• Love 1

I'm late to the umbrella discussion...count me in as an umbrella user and one who has wondered for years why I'm the only one (it seems).  I see people scurrying into the stores from the parking lot, shoulders hunched (yeah, that'll protect ya).  Umbrellas are so small today once you fold them up that they're not really an inconvenience.  Of course,  I'm not walking in congested downtown areas with my bumbershoot so I don't worry about poking someone's eye out.  Maybe if I were there, I'd wear my hooded raincoat and leave my umbrella at home.

• Love 1

If it's raining, I'm using an umbrella.  Actually, if it's snowing, too.  I don't want my hair to get wet, my makeup to run down my face..... I'm superficial and I own it.

I'm with you, Quof.  However, I don't use one when it snows.  Ya see, here in Michigan, we have snow that blows sideways, which REALLY pisses me off!  It's days like that I get out the over-sized hood to my (almost) ankle-length down coat & zip it in.  Shit, I hate winter, and I hear it's comin' again this year.  Hey -- I got TWO Pet Peeves here:  snow that blows sideways & winter!

• Love 1

Again, I feel like I'm the odd one out. I've been in places where it's 100+ and humidity is out of control (Mumbai) and even here in the MD/DC area; and I've been where it's 100+ and it's dry heat. Yes, hot is hot. But for some reason, I can bear the dry heat more than I can when humidity is thrown in. With humidity, I can't breath.  It's difficult to explain, but I'm sticking to my preference of dry over humidity + heat.

I agree.   Humidity zaps your energy and makes it hard to breathe.  90 degrees feels hot, but 90 AND humid makes  me almost unable to walk. 

• Love 4

Grew up in South Florida and rarely used an umbrella.  I think the majority of people I know from there don't usually unless they are dressed for a business situation.

I always found that it took me more time to safely open and close it getting into and out of the car that I could dash faster to cover without one.  Then once you got inside, there was never a good place to stash your dripping umbrella.

Not a problem in Florida, but it was one when I lived in So Cal:  I hate cold rain.

I agree.   Humidity zaps your energy and makes it hard to breathe.  90 degrees feels hot, but 90 AND humid makes  me almost unable to walk. 

That's why it's hard for me to walk outside and get exercise as often as I should.

• Love 1

Two of my pet peeves have to do with grocery shopping, which I hate doing anyway so these situations just make it worse.

• Situation A: People who think that going to the grocery store should be a family excursion. I've been a single parent with an infant and unable to have someone babysit while I went to the store, so I have no issues when it is one parent with a kid. I also understand that as a child gets older and has more self-control, the parent and child need to practice going shopping so the kid knows how to behave in public. However, where I live, it apparently is quite the thing for both parents, plus all kids, plus possibly one or two members of the extended family to go to the store together. They don't just go there together; they stand as a group in the aisles, reading labels or discussing the pros and cons of cereal A versus cereal B and blocking the entire damn aisle. I occasionally read labels myself, but when I do, I make sure I am not blocking anyone from getting past me or from reaching whatever product they want. These families, however, stand there completely oblivious to the fact that other shoppers need to finish their shopping. On top of that, they will shoot you the glare of death if you politely ask them to move long enough for you to get your cart past them.

Partly because of my irritation with situation A above, I try to do my shopping at off-peak hours, such as late at night. Doing so, though, brings me to:

• Situation B: Parents who drag their small children to the grocery store, Walmart, etc., at 10 or 11 at night, when those kids should be at home asleep, and then when the sleep-deprived kid has a meltdown, begin screaming at the kid. I understand that people don't want their kids having public meltdowns, but in that situation, it's not the kid who is at fault. It's the parents' fault for keeping the kid up that late, dragging said kid into a store filled with strangers, parading the kid past rows of candy and/or toys, and being stupid enough to believe that the result of those actions will be a pleasant shopping experience. Newsflash, idiots: it won't.
  • Love 9

People who park in front of someone else's house the night before trash collection day, leaving no room to put the rubbish bins out.  I mean, first of all, I don't understand using the entirety of your garage as storage for $2500 worth of myriad stuff and parking $25,000 worth of car outside.  But if that's your bag, fine.  Park in your driveway or in front of your own damn house, though.  It's a public street, yes, but it's also common courtesy that my guests be able to park in front of my house and I not have to see your car when I look out the front windows.

When it comes to trash day, do not leave me without room to put the bins out if I need to.  And if you've left me just enough room for a bin, yes, indeed, I will put that bin right in front of your bumper, leaving you wedged between it and the car behind you.

• Love 4

Big peeve: neighbors who have garages but don't park their cars in them (cause they're over-loaded with stuff).  One car in driveway, the other parked at the curb across the street in front of someone else's house. We have barely any street parking in our cul de sac (due to restrictions) and our driveways are sort of short, so it makes it difficult for us garage users to provide available parking space on the street for our guests. 

• Love 1

Two of my pet peeves have to do with grocery shopping, which I hate doing anyway so these situations just make it worse.

• Situation A: People who think that going to the grocery store should be a family excursion. I've been a single parent with an infant and unable to have someone babysit while I went to the store, so I have no issues when it is one parent with a kid. I also understand that as a child gets older and has more self-control, the parent and child need to practice going shopping so the kid knows how to behave in public. However, where I live, it apparently is quite the thing for both parents, plus all kids, plus possibly one or two members of the extended family to go to the store together. They don't just go there together; they stand as a group in the aisles, reading labels or discussing the pros and cons of cereal A versus cereal B and blocking the entire damn aisle. I occasionally read labels myself, but when I do, I make sure I am not blocking anyone from getting past me or from reaching whatever product they want. These families, however, stand there completely oblivious to the fact that other shoppers need to finish their shopping. On top of that, they will shoot you the glare of death if you politely ask them to move long enough for you to get your cart past them.

Partly because of my irritation with situation A above, I try to do my shopping at off-peak hours, such as late at night. Doing so, though, brings me to:

• Situation B: Parents who drag their small children to the grocery store, Walmart, etc., at 10 or 11 at night, when those kids should be at home asleep, and then when the sleep-deprived kid has a meltdown, begin screaming at the kid. I understand that people don't want their kids having public meltdowns, but in that situation, it's not the kid who is at fault. It's the parents' fault for keeping the kid up that late, dragging said kid into a store filled with strangers, parading the kid past rows of candy and/or toys, and being stupid enough to believe that the result of those actions will be a pleasant shopping experience. Newsflash, idiots: it won't.

Both of those tie in with the second point I made above in my post about how I dislike shopping at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville-- that it is quite the madhouse when it comes to shopping for anything, even groceries. Subsequently, I agree that children should not be yelled at for acting up when they are in a store late at night and it's way past their bedtime. 

• Love 1

I go to the supermarket at 8am to avoid family hour and my peeve is that even though the store opens at 7:30, they're still stocking produce and wandering around half an hour later while I want to get in and get out.

• Love 2

People who think that going to the grocery store should be a family excursion.

This!! What.the.hell. I'll also add old retired wives who drag their bored retired husbands along. These husbands have no clue about grocery store etiquette. They stand around clogging up the aisles while the rest of us are trying to get in and out as quickly as possible because we, you know, have lives that aren't so empty we need to hang at the grocery store for fun.

• Love 2

I go to the supermarket at 7 a.m., sometimes a little earlier, on Saturday or Sunday precisely to avoid children and other annoying people. I do have to dodge the stockers and their boxes, and engage in evasive maneuvers to avoid the floor cleaner, but it's still better than children and other annoying shoppers.

My pet peeve is that 3 out of 4 weeks, I have to wrnagle my own shopping cart from the parking lot because all of the little ones are still out there. Plenty of big carts are available all the time but they don't have enough little ones and don't send people out to gather the abandoned little ones often enough.

• Love 2

old retired wives who drag their bored retired husbands along

Mom used to do this.  It's about getting the husband to at least get a walk in.  She stopped when she figured out that Dad was managing to slip in an excessive amount

of treats.