Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: We Don't Work Together Anymore

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Lindsay has her first case with the task force and realizes she needs to call on Voight and the Intelligence unit to assist. Meanwhile Burgess is back on the job, but relegated to desk duty which allows Desk Sgt. Platt the opportunity to partner up with Roman.

I'm very glad Burgess decided to stay on the beat. She would flounder in Intelligence.

I hope that when she tells her partner she turned down intelligence that she is honest about why she did, partly because she feels he needs her to stay his partner while they work though the aftermath of her getting shot together.  It would suck if he went up to Voight and said since there is an open spot that he would love to get in intelligence. That would kinda backfire for Burgess huh.

• Love 1

I didn't like the shot at Erin that Ruzek took. I thought Nadia was going to punch him. I still like Nadia and hope they continue to show her working there, and getting her shit together to become a cop.

• Love 1

Linstead are FIYAH! 

Glad that Burgess didn't take the job in Intelligence; she's, as I've said before, isn't ready. 

The team just doesn't feel right w/o Lindsay. It was good for her to take the chance w the task force but I think she belongs w. her team; her family. She knows her value now and she tried so get on back to the unit, Erin. 

"Nice cat". lmao at Jay's comment about that dog! Which, by the way, was an ad-lib by Jesse. 

I didn't like the shot at Erin that Ruzek took.

Neither did I! So Erin was offered a promotion with an elite task force, based on her skills, and that makes her a ladder climber or whatever he said? Glad that Alvin told him that there's nothing wrong w ambition. 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 3

What.An.Episode.

So they weren't teasing Lindsey/Halstead after all that hype. I'm going to enjoy next weeks episode because I've a feeling that once Lindsey goes back to Intelligence (bound to happen) they'll put their relationship on hold.

Her boss is a jerk. There's something so skeavy about him especially his attitude to CIs. He's all about getting his face on the paper which is exactly the opposite of Intelligence.

I get why Roman feels bad about Burgess but I wish he'd stop blaming himself. I liked Platt's pep talk to him and I'm glad that Burgess realised her heart was in uniform. Cute scene with her and Adam.

Is Bianca Lawson in everything? What show hasn't she appeared in at at least one stage

• Love 1

Neither did I! So Erin was offered a promotion with an elite task force, based on her skills, and that makes her a ladder climber or whatever he said? Glad that Alvin told him that there's nothing wrong w ambition. 

I didn't like the shot at Erin that Ruzek took. I thought Nadia was going to punch him.

I didn't take it like that. If anything, I saw it as a compliment. I mean, Erin herself didn't seem so thrilled with the way the Task Force handles things. She's obviously much more comfortable with the way the PD and Intelligence run, and I think all of the guys on Intelligence realise that. Based on what I've seen of her personality, it's not exactly the career move I would have guessed she'd make. I think that's all Ruzek was saying.

Edited by fivestone
I didn't take it like that. If anything, I saw it as a compliment. I mean, Erin herself didn't seem so thrilled with the way the Task Force handles things. She's obviously much more comfortable with the way the PD and Intelligence run, and I think all of the guys on Intelligence realise that. Based on what I've seen of her personality, it's not exactly the career move I would have guessed she'd make. I think that's all Ruzek was saying.

That is how I also interpreted. Not a knock on Erin but more along the lines that she is a better fit on intelligence, which so far seems to be true.

I do take issue with the idea that her boss or someone else did not review with Kylie what being federal CI would require and mean. AKA if or when she gets paid etc.

Edited by redsox7819
  • Love 1

Yeah Agent Lang is a dick.  In fact, he's a dick to almost a comical extent.  We get it, Dick Wolf, we're not supposed to like him.  Jeez, it's like you've never heard of the words "Light touch".  I'm sure the thought process in the writers room went like this: "Hey, we need the audience to really not like these guys so they'll root for Erin to throw away her career and crawl back under her surrogate dad's wing by the end of the season.  Let's take one of our tried and true Angry White Guy archetypes and crank up the asshole to 11, that should do it."

He's played by Bailey Chase, who played Branch Connally in Longmire most recently.

• Love 1

Let's take one of our tried and true Angry White Guy archetypes and crank up the asshole to 11, that should do it."

It is not even just the angry white guy stereotype, he is also the federal agent who is super strict, and does everything by the book which means he can't get things done and just gets in the way of the real street cops one as well. That is a pretty standard one for any cop show, especially a Dick Wolf one. 

I also had to laugh when he was making a big deal about the press conference. He kept talking about how he made a big difference. But shows like The Wire have made me super cynical. You didn't make that much of a difference. The demand for drugs is still there, you just shut down one operation, which will allow one of the other drug gangs in Chicago to grab more power.

One thing that really bugged me though  was Erin talking about how there CI couldn't have run off with her boyfriend because she wouldn't have left her kid. But Erin, your own mother basically abandoned you, what makes you think another mom wouldn't do the same thing.

Liked seeing the Sarge on the street though. I kind of wish that had been more of the reason that Burgess had decided to stay in uniform. Kind of wish she had more trouble running the desk.

Gotta say, I love Halstead and Lindsay.

IMO, Lindsay is making a bad career move here.

I agree with you 100% on both counts. I hope they dont go the opps that was a one time big mistake route with Lindsay and Halstead. Don't screw it up writers!

If you watch Criminal Minds, he's the guy who went on a date with Garcia and then shot her.

He's also the guy who played Beckett's ex-boyfriend the cop, Will, on Castle - before Beckett took Castle seriously as part of the team. That's the first time we saw hints of Castle jealous about a guy kissing/trying to get with Beckett.

One thing that really bugged me though  was Erin talking about how there CI couldn't have run off with her boyfriend because she wouldn't have left her kid. But Erin, your own mother basically abandoned you, what makes you think another mom wouldn't do the same thing.

Erin's mother, Bunny, was an alcohol and a drug addict. Lang believed that Kylie screwed them b/c she was for the money and would skip town, never looking back. Erin's point was, she has a child that she loves and cares about and, per her brother, they were all gonna leave town. Kylie wouldn't leave her kid. Think there's a difference between this CI and Bunny. 

Edited by Samantha84

While I expect Erin to return to Intelligence, my hope is that she stays with the task force.  This episode could be viewed as merely her having trouble letting go of Voigt and the team she'd been with for so long.  She was nervous about being in the new environment and, despite a few snags, I think she held her own well.  I'd much rather see her come in to her own on the task force than see her return to Intelligence and stall what could be a potentially amazing career.  If we were supposed to see her as being groomed to take over her own team or when Voigt retires, that'd be different but we haven't been given any indication of that.  I do expect her to return to the team by season's end despite my hopes.

As for her and Halstead, I think that this hook up will have some short term consequences but will also be setting up a potential endgame for the two characters.  I think that Erin's genuinely attracted to Halstead but went to his place due to the mixed feelings she was having about the new job.  Ultimately, I think she went to him to both give into their mutual attraction and because he's familiar.  Right now, I think Halstead's far more invested romantically than Erin is and, when he realizes this (maybe when Erin inevitably returns to Intelligence she doesn't think twice about breaking off their relationship while he wants to figure out a way to stay together without costing their jobs), that knowledge will put a strain on their friendship.  Down the road, I expect Erin and Halstead to end up on the same page but right now they aren't.  If done right, I think this could be a great story. 

I was also pleasantly surprised that Burgess turned Voigt down.  I honestly find the character way more interesting in uniform than as a potential member of the team.  I've been seeing her as the Gabby of the show since she first showed up (they even had the "I want to be with the engaged blond guy I work with and think it should happen just because I say so" thing going on) but I'm starting to think that the CPD people have read the complaints about Gabby and are consciously trying to avoid those same mistakes this season.  They may still fall back on those same character issues that made Burgess so similar to Gabby in the first season but I don't feel it's a guarantee just yet.

Great episode all around though I agree that more Olinsky would have been nice.

He's played by Bailey Chase, who played Branch Connally in Longmire most recently.

If you watch Criminal Minds, he's the guy who went on a date with Garcia and then shot her.

Or if you are a soap fan, he was also one of the many Chris Hughes' from As the Worlds Turns.

Edited by redsox7819
Hey at least Bianca Lawson was playing a wife and mother and not a teenager. That's a step up for her as an actor.

lol. Oh my word, I thought the same thing when I saw her. I said, "Hey, look it's Bianca Lawson ... and she's playing an adult!" Bianca's been playing teen roles since Buffy the Vampire Slayer and that was 18 years ago! Is she a vampire b/c she hasn't aged much at all! lol. 

I know I'm late to the game, but I just have to say that this might be my favorite episode of the series so far.  This and the one after it.  I like all of the police cases and the work that they do, but I also like the few minutes of the human sides of the characters that we see, and in my opinion, Halstead and Lindsay are pretty perfect for each other.

• Love 1