Type keyword(s) to search

Hindsight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Man, this show is not going to last I see. Too bad because I love it. I wish there was more of a discussion going on.

They're not doing any advertising, unless it's all on VH1 -- I happened across this series when I went to rottentomatoes.com to check on new movies this weekend and noticed it had a *100%* rating!  I'd never heard of it!  I watched the pilot On Demand and was hooked.

Sean as Axl cracked me up.

Lolly and Jamie was kind of sad. Yep, that's dating in one's twenties! Gotta say, I miss my youth but I don't miss that!

So far, Becca has coped pretty well with going back to 90s technology. I don't think I'd be able to go back and remember how to work Windows 97!

What happened at the very end? My DVR cut off right when Becca got the call about the magazine job.

• Love 1

Lots of stuff on Facebook, today, but they really need to get more out there.  Not sure if the time change will help.

Loved this episode!  I was actually afraid that Paige would be with Xavier, but totally did not expect Sean.  

What happened at the very end? My DVR cut off right when Becca got the call about the magazine job.

They told Becca that what they needed was someone who was good at figuring out what will be popular. I think her being able to predict what bands and clothing trends will take off is a much better way for her to capitalize on future knowledge.

The time change makes me optimistic. Means the network has faith in it enough to bump it up to an hour earlier where more people might see it.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 1

Someone at IMDB bitched that no Rebecca's were given the nickname "Becca" back in the 90's. Like, seriously? There have been multiple iterations of Catherine for centuries, yet all Rebeccas (a name that has been around for a very long time) were only nicknamed Becky? What a trip.

• Love 1

I mentioned this in the episode thread, but the Enron joke was a couple years early.  In 1995, Enron was still mostly a sleepy gas pipeline company and hadn't really started trading energy yet(that guy acted like he was a trader), the stock price hadn't skyrocketed yet, and Fastow had just started looking at those crazy special purpose entities.  It's not until 1997-98 that the hijinks really start.  I worked there from 1998-2000.  It's still a good joke though, I enjoyed it.

Edited by SpectreH

I really liked the Beavis and Butthead references, the Nancy and Tonya thing, and Becca's interviews.  The interviews really showed the skills and experience that she brings to the table.  I wonder if that basement magazine startup is something that became big, like Wired Magazine or something(Wired started in 1993).  I like that Becca is obviously intelligent, competent, and with her future knowledge, will seem like a techno visionary.

Edited by SpectreH
  • Love 1

They got the music very wrong in the latest episode with the Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun (circa about 1980).

There must have been a resurgence because I remember that song being sung on many a field bus trip in high school in the '90s.

Yikes! Becca is a horrible friend, or rather, frenemy. I know she doesn't like Meerkat Melanie but she copped her costume, slutted it up and straight out snaked Andy out from under the poor girl. I don't care if they're destined; that is Not Cool.

• Love 2

Someone at IMDB bitched that no Rebecca's were given the nickname "Becca" back in the 90's. Like, seriously? There have been multiple iterations of Catherine for centuries, yet all Rebeccas (a name that has been around for a very long time) were only nicknamed Becky? What a trip.

My best friend back in '98 was a Becca. 

Lolly and Jamie was kind of sad. Yep, that's dating in one's twenties! Gotta say, I miss my youth but I don't miss that!

Yeah, when my mom told me guys were only after one thing...she neglected to mention that one thing was "getting wasted with their friends".

• Love 6

I'm doing my bit; I've been posting about it on my FB page, and recommending it specifically to friends of mine who tend to love the same shows I do.

I really do love this show--more every week.  And I was expecting Paige and either Todd or Xavier--the Sean thing was totally unexpected even though I knew he was coming back (based on last week's previews).

And I'm weirded out about next week's previews.

Yikes! Becca is a horrible friend, or rather, frenemy. I know she doesn't like Meerkat Melanie but she copped her costume, slutted it up and straight out snaked Andy out from under the poor girl. I don't care if they're destined; that is Not Cool.

It bothered me last week and even more this time. Becca has got to stop macking on someone else's boyfriend. She wasn't even sure she wanted to marry Andy in her own timeline, for crying out loud. It also bugged me that Andy didn't immediately go after Melanie when she stormed out.

• Love 3

I feel like I've seen the "fortune teller" waitress in other things...

The twist of Phoebe missing her date with her future husband - very well done, because I actually went "oh shit!" even though I hadn't cared about Phoebe before. But now it looks like her relationship with Becca might change for the better.

Because I watch every ep at least three times, I finally picked up on Paige reading Phoebe's palm and telling her she was on a path but she's about to deviate from that path...

Nice.

• Love 1

I'm doing my bit; I've been posting about it on my FB page, and recommending it specifically to friends of mine who tend to love the same shows I do.

I really do love this show--more every week. And I was expecting Paige and either Todd or Xavier--the Sean thing was totally unexpected even though I knew he was coming back (based on last week's previews).

And I'm weirded out about next week's previews.

The only one I assumed it would be was Sean. Unless we get some actual Neilson families on board, it won't affect the ratings. Edited by DangerousMinds

I loved hearing The World I know last week.  And the week before, they played Found Out About You by the Gin Blossoms.  I'm still a fan of theirs, and tweeted them that it was on the show, and they RT me.  Which is kind of cool, and very 2015. 

When I started watching this, and didn't recognize but a few songs, I thought well, I wasn't listening to music much in the ''90s, I guess that fits. But gosh, I thought I'd recognize more than I do.

I remember the final scene in the first ep in the bar where Lolly picks a song in the jukebox and starts dancing, and thinking, "geez, I figured she'd pick something really good and fitting -- what's this worldess tune she's not really dancing to?"

But I KNOW I'd recognize Groove Is in the Heart and I Found Out About You.

I've come to the conclusion the Amazon version episodes I buy have generic music in most places! Ace of Base, Collective Soul, those were included. Whatever Lolly was dancing to in that scene had to be something good, and it was nothing.

What episodes/scenes were Groove and Found in?

One of my best friends in high school (in the 90s) was a Becca. So that complaint is just silly.

The only thing I have wondered about is if some of the tight tops and dresses were more late 90s, early 00s. But I could be wrong. 1995 may have been the point when more loose-fitting, grunge rocker clothes began to switch to more form fitting.

I think she passes for a young-looking 42-year-old. The actress looks young, but doesn't have a baby face, so it works for me.

My only tiny gripe, because so far I love the show, is that Becca has reverted back to 20-something thinking in a lot of ways. I would think that in some instances, she'd get fed up with the immature drama, because she has 20 years of maturity on everyone around her. Like, not letting passive aggressive Melanie's comments get to her.

• Love 2

I graduated high school in 1989 and tight Lycra "bodycon" dresses and tops were definitely a thing even back then, so I think the show's doing OK in that regard. I don't think tight, inexpensive Lycra ever really went away.

Here's what I wonder though: what style are these girls? Not that I'm the authority but in college, I was an "alternative" grungy-gothy art kid, so I and my friends kind of kept to a certain aesthetic. The sorority girls were another (until they discovered Docs, bought them in every color, and kept them pristine--thus totally missing the point of having a pair). Same with guys; the grungy boys had been that way for years and years already before the frats decided they were too cool for school and tied a flannel around their waists (while already wearing another!) I realize this is all before the show's timeline but I feel like Lolly and Becca are all over the style map--not that it's not allowed; just something I noticed.

(Haha, I am laughing at myself remembering college {and being That Guy about the others appropriating the grunge!], which for all the world still seems like it was only a few years ago! Oh, I am old and sad now! But that was the best time to be in college--I miss it almost as much as I miss wearing cut-off jeans with tights and combat boots.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Groove is in the Heart is actually 1989/1990-ish, so it struck me as a bit off.

Yeah, but I think it still got played a lot for at least the first half of the '90s.  

I love that Spacehog song, so I'm pleased it's the theme song!

Edited by SlovakPrincess

I don't mind if they play something a few years old. That Spacehog song, for instance, was a big hit on progressive rock stations and was in rotation for quite some time. I'll accept as realistic any reasonably big hit from the early 90s. What wouldn't be acceptable, now that they've established it's the fall of 1995, is if they played something from '96. I doubt they'd make that mistake, though, they're paying pretty good attention to time-period detail.

I'm really enjoying this show. Hope it sticks around. 

I kind of wonder if that's intentional, though- like mentally she knows what it's like to be 42 and not get het up over stupid stuff, but at the same time her brain and general hormones are that of a 23-year old.

I do think we get glimpses of Becca's 40-something thought process and the like, like the patronizing way she treats Lolly at times.

• Love 1

God, they are doing so much to develop both Becca and Lolly, and it's gripping stuff, and god it pisses me off all over again that this show doesn't have a chance. I liked the parallels here- Lolly is put in the position of being the mature one while trying to keep Jamie from his horrible fate, and Becca has decided to revert into the behavior of a bitchy sorority college girl in order to "win" Andy.

I like that they're not afraid of making Becca unlikeable- she was pretty cold to her one-night stand.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Might as well just invest in Apple and bide time.

The stock for her to buy would be Yahoo when it has an IPO in early 1996. It went up hugely by 2000, only 4 years.

I like that they had her attempt to alter her future and it back-fired. That's why she won't be running around using her "future knowledge" to try to get rich every episode.

• Love 1

Money doesn't seem like a priority to Becca, as much as finding love or furthering her career.

Good point. She knows she can earn, and it's not crazy expensive to live in Manhattan in 1995. Her priority is still just trying to figure out what's going on in her "past" and why she may have returned to it. 

Becca drives a car like my mother. Ramrod straight, not even leaning back into the seat all the way.

This was the first episode where I wasn't really buying the characterization. Becca is a bitch to Paige for most of the episode (for no reason, really, I might add) and then suddenly they're the greatest of friends after Paige stands up to a cop, then tells a sob story about how her crooked parents stole all her showbiz money? Whatever.

I enjoyed the rest of it, though. And I always love Becca's slip ups about future events.

• Love 3

If it wasn't clear that Andy is supposed to be Becca's great love, this episode pretty much cleared any doubt. Becca is totally realizing that she really does love Andy and he's not just the safe choice.

I wanted to go on more road trips in my 20's, but since the bulk of gas prices were in the mid-2's to high 3's, that kind of inhibited that. LOL. It made me wish I could've had my 20's in the 90's, when gas really was a dollar a gallon and it wasn't considered some short-lived fluke that would quickly correct itself.

I'm loving that the more Becca changes things (like making a play for Andy, taking Lolly on a road trip that they didn't go on in the original timeline), the more we're seeing how things quickly spin out of control, like Andy's car accident. And the side changes, like Jamie deciding to fix things between Andy and Sean.

• Love 1

Was this a half-season finale or some such before a break, hence the melodrama at the end?

I like the show but this was a weaker episode. For me the problem is that Becca comes across as pretty unlikable and self-absorbed a lot of the time. Also I find her willingness to be stuck in the past kind of weird. If it was me I'd want to catch an elevator to see if it DID take me back to my present, there's only so long I'd want to hang out in the past. I assumed by now Becca would have had more interaction with her Dr Tom (Being Erica reference) so we could understand why she's gone back at all. I like Andy but the past version of him is a little whiny and dorky, I'm not sure how a relationship that starts this early in the past will really pan out in terms of the future. 

• Love 3

The death knell is tolling when I start FF'ing so much. Be nice if the focus would expand so it's not all relationships all the time. There's a lot of time-traveling tsuris to be had! Even Becca's job is fizzling out for me. I may resort to just coming here to find out what happens.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
I wanted to go on more road trips in my 20's, but since the bulk of gas prices were in the mid-2's to high 3's, that kind of inhibited that. LOL. It made me wish I could've had my 20's in the 90's, when gas really was a dollar a gallon and it wasn't considered some short-lived fluke that would quickly correct itself.

I am that age and did do that, and this episode had me so nostalgic. And Lolly's coat, man--I want it (and now, in 2015, it's probably only a mouse click away!). Though I do not want Becca's jeans (again), oy.

By 1995, I was 24ish, and far and away done with REM, but I loved some of the really early-'90s songs that showed up in the episode. And, oh my goodness, last night's soundtrack embodied my mid-'90s night job waiting tables; those songs--Breakfast at Tiffany's, that Toadies one, etc.--were on an endless loop as I slung sizzling fajitas just to pay the rent! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

I think the show might be losing me.

Yep.

Something was even more off than usual.  I felt bad for the actors as they fought with their own tepid dialogue.  I still don't know what the fuck Paige is doing in this story.  I don't buy that any of the guys would hang out together.  

And lolly's dad stuff? Hit the ground like a wet sock.

I was relieved that they killed off Andy.  It was the only interesting plot maneuver.  Characters sure can't hold this sucker up.

What a waste. Boo!

And lolly's dad stuff? Hit the ground like a wet sock.

I did find it interesting that they had Alan Ruck playing Lolly's dad on the heels of the Ferris Bueller mention in last week's episode, especially since it specifically referenced the Detroit Red Wings jersey worn by Cameron in the movie.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 6

I did find it interesting that they had Alan Ruck playing Lolly's dad on the heels of the Ferris Bueller mention in last week's episode, especially since it specifically referenced the Detroit Red Wings jersey worn by Cameron in the movie.

Well, the best thing about this show, thus far, seems to be its reference webs.  Nice catch ;)

• Love 1