Type keyword(s) to search

Battle Creek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I enjoy this show so much tonight and was surprised to see James Roday as the director. Maybe he's directed the show before but tonight was the first time I noticed...

It looks like this might be the only one.

Colin Bucksey, who won an Emmy for directing episodes of Fargo, directed the first episode of the night, "The Hand-Off." I really appreciated the hook-up scene in the evidence room because it was both hot and made me LOL instead of looking away in embarrassment, which so many of those do.

Edited because "one" and "won" are not the same.

Edited by shapeshifter

Unless there is some miracle (sob); SERIES FINALE;

Milt survives a car bombing and enlists Russ  to track down his would-be assassin, leading to startling revelations about why Milt is the way he is and what brought him to Battle Creek.
  • Love 3
(edited)

Aw! Finally some progress on Russ/Holly.

For the 2nd case, I was thinking it was the coach's wife going by "the most famous guest star did it" reasoning, so they fooled me -- in a good way.  :-)

Anyone else notice how extra scruffy Winters looked? Like they just let him grew out his beard/hair a little longer for each episode.

Edited by Trini

So, Russ and Holly finally get together, and then she's leaving for law school in another state?  What was the point of that?!  My guess is that she would have transferred to a closer school or something like that in season 2 so that she could see Russ more often, but we're never gonna find out since the show has been cancelled.

Michael Beach is a great actor -- he did a terrific job as the athlete's father. Heartbreaking storyline.

I got a bit sniffly when he was telling them about what happened when his son was playing football.  I really was not expecting the emotional impact he made in that scene.

I really appreciated the hook-up scene in the evidence room because it was both hot and made me LOL instead of looking away in embarrassment, which so many of those do.

The evidence room hook-up took me by surprise because it was pretty steamy without being graphic or stupid.

Charmer Russ was fun - knocking off a few of those rough edges certainly made his stock jump.  And while Josh D. is clearly a very attractive man, Dean W. is no slouch so it wasn't unbelieavable that women would be reacting to him.

• Love 3

Depending on where in Indiana the law school is located, it is just a couple hours drive to the Indiana border from Battle Creek. I lived in Kalamazoo and used to drive to Indiana a lot. Hopefully it's not in Indianapolis!!! Lol

The evidence room hook-up took me by surprise because it was pretty steamy without being graphic or stupid.

As was the coffee room dance they did a couple of episodes back!  (Steam didn't come from the coffee, either!)

Honestly, with Holly going out with some other dude, the ball is, IMO, definitely in her court. If she likes Russ, ask him out! Dude is hot! I can see why he wouldn't ask her now that she is seeing someone seriously enough to go on vacation with the guy. That said, the Russ/Holly thing is the only thing I don't like about this show. That, I will not miss. Everything else, I will miss dearly.

I definitely got a kick out how the first episode, the roles were kind of reversed, with Russ actually charming some of the ladies (the doctor and the waitress), while Milt was the annoyed one of the pairing.  Nice to see different sides to the characters, but it didn't feel like any of it was out of character either.

As for the second episode, that was probably my favorite of the "crime of the week" scenario, mainly due to Michael Beach giving a great performance when he confessed.  Plus, I do like whenever the dangers of football is addressed.  Don't get me wrong: I enjoy a good game like the best of them, but I really do wish they would find better ways to prevent these types of injuries.  Sadly though, I don't see it changing right now: it's still making too much money and I don't see the higher ups changing it.

Glad they moved forward with Russ/Holly, even though they sure went from 0 to 100, with them flat-out getting it on in the evidence room.  Might as well, since they only have a few episodes left!  Of course, they thrown in this whole "Holly is going to Indiana" plot now, but I'm guessing if the show has continued, they would have found ways to get her back in most of the episodes.

Possible series finale next week, where it looks like we're really going to see the dark side of Milt.  We got a glimpse of his temper when he destroyed that cell phone (and him opening a drawer full of broken ones), so I'm wondering what this is all about.

...Possible series finale next week, where it looks like we're really going to see the dark side of Milt.  We got a glimpse of his temper when he destroyed that cell phone (and him opening a drawer full of broken ones), so I'm wondering what this is all about.

I thought he might be protecting someone and his refusal to reveal the person's identity got him punished/transferred.

But, yeah, lot's of hints throughout that he's got some pent up rage.

(edited)

"Just connect the dots, dinkwhistle." I love the relationship between Russ and Guziewicz. (Actually, I always love Janet McTeer.)

That whole "Who knew there were so many pejoratives beginning with a D?" scene was great.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

The only moment better than the hug was the "Loosen your sphincter for twenty minutes!" thing. Russell, the perp can tell you're being a douche, man. I laughed and laughed at that.

• Love 1

In the police procedurals I've watched, the captain/lieutenant/watch commander role is often thankless, with no teeth. I give a lot of credit to both the writers and McTeer for making Guziewicz a fully-fledged person as well as an intelligent team leader.

• Love 4

Just caught up with these last two episodes. Terrible that this show is ending.

An age note. Dean Winters is 50. Amanda Detmer whose character supposedly was in high school with Russ, is 43. Aubrey Dollar is 34. Both are gorgeous per TV rules, but might have been nice if they could have found someone closer to Russ's age. A same-age relationship would be a nice change from the usual. Actually the late coach's wife and ex-English teacher played by Annette O'Toole is closer in age to Russ than Aubrey Dollar is.

Even that Dr who gave him her number last week looked much younger than 50.

A mere quibble though. This is/was a great show--good ensemble, complex characters, gritty, cool setting.

• Love 1
Both are gorgeous per TV rules, but might have been nice if they could have found someone closer to Russ's age.

In TV land, they are close to his age. Have you seen this? Maggie Gyllenhaal, at 37, was told she's "too old" to be the love interest of a 55-year-old.

(edited)

Pro:

- It didn't end on a cliffhanger.

- Milt backstory!

Con:

- Very little of Russ and the other supporting characters.

- Series finale.  :(

Questionable:

- Two law enforcement agents managed to get kidnapped by one guy; and couldn't figure out how to get out of a trunk?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

It sure looked like Milt got shot in the heart. Did they edit it after they knew it was canceled? Because the cheery smiles at the end didn't seem like what the final version (if there was more than one take) would look like.

Speaking of versions: That was the Stones' version of "Sympathy for the Devil" playing during the opening and closing scenes, right? That must've cost a pretty copyright penny.

I want to give the show a hug and tell it we thought you did good.

• Love 11
(edited)

This TV season is murder on me. First I lose Mad Men, then came the biggest blow: losing Danny Pino from SVU. And I feel almost as badly about losing Battle Creek. Damn you, CBS. You suck, suck, SUCK. You put this wonderful show into the Siberia of the schedule, and it never had a chance, even though this show had begun to really gel, all the parts working so well. It was quirky, and funny, and touching, and I don't want it to go.  

At least we learned Milt's story, and got to hear Russ call him his partner. That got an "aww" from me. And I loved the hug at the end. In my mind, Milt survives. Loved Guziewicz demanding the information from Milt's old boss. She owns the place. The entire squad worked together so well to solve the case.

And in case I forgot to say it, you SUCK, CBS.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 5

It sure looked like Milt got shot in the heart. Did they edit it after they knew it was canceled? Because the cheery smiles at the end didn't seem like what the final version (if there was more than one take) would look like.

Speaking of versions: That was the Stones' version of "Sympathy for the Devil" playing during the opening and closing scenes, right? That must've cost a pretty copyright penny.

I want to give the show a hug and tell it we thought you did good.

Dunno, but it did feel like closure in terms of the general wrap up, we did get answers to Milt's backstory which was built up from the beginning, Russ was softening up, etc.

Shame about it actually ending though.

• Love 1

Interesting "series" finale, I guess.  I'm guessing if this show had continued, Milton would have survived the shot and we might have even revisited the Robert Sean Leonard character from prison in a future episode.  But, I guess we'll never know.  It was hard to tell though: I thought the shot could have been around his heart, but it might have been closer to his shoulder instead.  It was hard to tell.

Glad that we did get his backstory, and I thought it did explain his current behavior well.  Being cocky in his younger days and the aftermath over the whole sting (even though he isn't to blame), would be a good reason to want to change, and I can see why other agents tired of his "by the books" persona, that they were happy to be rid of him.  It would have been interesting to see how his and Russ relationship would have been like, now that Russ knew the truth.  The hug and calling him "partner", was certainly a big step for Russ.

Not much of the supporting cast, but I liked seeing Font play a big part in putting the pieces together, and Guziewicz getting involved, including throwing down with Milt's former boss.  I think they really could have gone somewhere with this cast... if they had more time, sadly.

Too bad it didn't work out.  If nothing else, I felt like this show deserved another shot over fucking CSI:Cyber.

• Love 11

Too bad it didn't work out.  If nothing else, I felt like this show deserved another shot over fucking CSI:Cyber.

Good God, yes. Tell me that crapfest isn't getting renewed? Unbelievable!

• Love 3

Maybe they should have named this CSI:Battle Creek. Then CBS would have given it a chance even if it was the exact same show it was, and got the exact same ratings. For some reason, anything with CSI in the title is automatically gold in CBS's eyes.

I will miss this nice little show. It was one of those shows that felt like visiting good friends. Not too angsty, didn't have to keep a chart of all the convoluted storylines, just really enjoyed spending time with these characters no matter what case they were working on.

• Love 13

I was just thinking the same! These are characters I want to spend more time with. I liked that Font and rest of the BCPD handled the case competently -- and I liked that Font admitted he finds it refreshing not to work with Russ all the time.

In particular I wanted to see where Russ and Milt's partnership would take them, and I wanted to see more of Guz's relationship with Danny. And Russ's with Danny, come to that.

I should have guessed when I saw his name in the credits that RSL would be cast as the vengeance-minded dad. I'm glad that Milt's backstory was resolved in the first season; it made for a compelling lure for both Russ and us the audience, and it made sense for Milt's characterization. I'm really glad that Russell decided, after getting the full account, that Milt was his partner, after all. (I might have possibly gotten a little verklempt in that moment.)

I'm choosing to think that Milt was shot more in the shoulder than the lung or heart. Russ could have been just whistling in the dark, saying that Milt was going to be fine, but he wasn't. He wasn't, I say!

• Love 4

I don't know how far in advance the episodes are filmed, but I prefer to think that this was intended to be the season 1 finale so of course Milt survives. Although I also gotta say that if there had been a Season 2 I would have been slightly disappointed that Milt's secret was revealed, just because I enjoyed Russ gnawing at it on a constant loop in his head.

I loved Russ angrily telling Milt that yes, he and Holly were dating! Milt: "Uh, okay. Not important."

Meredith's zing about cameras in the evidence locker made me laugh. I'll miss her and Russ hating on each other.

There's talk online about a couple of other cancelled shows being shopped to Netflix or wherever, but no buzz about Battle Creek. Gah.

The last time I was this bummed was for Reckless.

• Love 2

Maybe they should have named this CSI:Battle Creek. Then CBS would have given it a chance even if it was the exact same show it was, and got the exact same ratings. For some reason, anything with CSI in the title is automatically gold in CBS's eyes...

IMO, the show shouldn't have been on CBS. I wonder how it wound up on CBS instead of a cable station or even FOX. I want someone to blame, dammit!

...I'm choosing to think that Milt was shot more in the shoulder than the lung or heart. Russ could have been just whistling in the dark, saying that Milt was going to be fine, but he wasn't. He wasn't, I say!

Yeah, all those ideas flashed before my eyes too, but I'd almost rather it be a cutting room floor version (because of the laughter) that they spliced back in when the ratings tanked below the point of bouncing back, because it would mean that the actors at least had fun making the show.
  • Love 2

Milt's secret wasn't the whole of the story between Russ and Milt, though, and one of the things I really enjoyed about the show was how earned their growing connection felt. I'm guessing that in a second season, they would have other things to be at odds over, without rehashing anything. The oil & water premise is so easy to handle badly, so prey to dependence on clichés. Drawing out Milt's secret longer would have lessened its payoff, I think.

• Love 2

Maybe they should have named this CSI:Battle Creek. Then CBS would have given it a chance even if it was the exact same show it was, and got the exact same ratings. For some reason, anything with CSI in the title is automatically gold in CBS's eyes.

Every version of CSI manages to be built around an actor I loathe - William Petersen, Marg Helgenberger, Caruso, Patricia Arquette ...so no CSI: Battle Creek for me.  How about NCIS: Battle Creek or Criminal Minds: Battle Creek (think they are starting a new one)?  I can tolerate them.

As I was watching last night I became increasingly bitter about the show's cancel.  Damn it!

• Love 1

I too, am sorry to see this show go. I've been a fan of Dean Winters since Oz, and it was great to see him in a lead role on this. I thought the show was coming together nicely, and it had the potential to be something pretty good. Too bad it was scheduled in such a bad time slot.

I'm glad at least that we got a semblance of closure on some of the story lines. We got an explanation of why Milt was in Battle Creek, and we knew that Russ and Holly were going to take a chance on a relationship. It's a shame we won't see how any of that works out in the long term.

Farewell Battle Creek. It was fun while it lasted!

• Love 7

"Battle Creek" reminded me of "The Good Guys" (Bradley Whitford & Colin Hanks) which was on FOX IIRC.  Maybe Fox would have been a better home for BC, but then GG lasted only one season.

"Battle Creek" reminded me of "The Good Guys" (Bradley Whitford & Colin Hanks) which was on FOX IIRC.  Maybe Fox would have been a better home for BC, but then GG lasted only one season.

These types of shows don't seem to last long or at all.

• Love 1

The hookup was steamy but I'm kind of shocked they didn't get reprimanded for it. Sex in the evidence room? 

All that disrupted evidence?  I get that they were in bags but still, poor decision.

I have a confession to make...I thought Robert Sean Leonard was Peter Scolari.  I feel so silly because of course it was Wilson.  I did think his whole origin story of how he changed his identity...etc. was a bit much.

I liked getting Milt's backstory so we wouldn't have to keep wondering, although I feel a little misled because Milt being in Battle Creek was built to be this great big mystery and it really wasn't.  It sounds like he chose to be there.  In reality, this episode would have worked as a stand alone because the mystery immediately became "who tried to kill Milt" and that question was answered with the backstory better than the "why Milt chose Battle Creek" question. 

Overall, though, it was a good episode.  It was very satisfying except it's not enough.  I do think this would be a good fit on Netflix because Netflix does like it's crime shows. I'm just not sure they love their crime procedurals.  And I don't think this show's ratings or even buzz would be enough to attract Netflix. 

And it bums me out because this is very good comfort food.  It's not going to be competing for any Emmy awards but I enjoyed watching every episode this season. They felt complete and well put together.

• Love 2
I keep remembering how many shows had slow first seasons... NCIS... Mash...lots more. Better shows especially take time. This show had a great pedigree.

As I was watching last night I became increasingly bitter about the show's cancel.  Damn it!

This!  And what really chaps my ass is that it will probably be replaced by something as equally likely to get cancelled.  Damn!  I loved this show. 

• Love 5

Why didn't any of the detectives recognize Milt's car? All I remember him driving is the black SUV, so was the sedan supposed to be his personal car that he never drove to work and nobody knew about?

Also, steel armored underplating or not, the inside of that car was hella torn up for its occupant to have walked away unharmed except for a bandage on his wrist.

The show had ten episodes to find an audience. I doubt this show is super cheap to produce, so I can't really blame CBS from a business standpoint for canceling it.

I don't really disagree, but the thing is, I doubt they are going to find a suitable replacement, and we will have to sit through another season of a cancelled TV show.  I don't know a lot of people who watched this, but of the people I did know who did, everyone seemed to like it.  Pity! 

• Love 1

I have a confession to make...I thought Robert Sean Leonard was Peter Scolari.  I feel so silly because of course it was Wilson.  I did think his whole origin story of how he changed his identity...etc. was a bit much.

Heh. Maybe he used to be Peter Scolari.

Also, steel armored underplating or not, the inside of that car was hella torn up for its occupant to have walked away unharmed except for a bandage on his wrist.

I actually thought we were going to hear from Russell about that -- Milt's charmed life, etc.

• Love 2

Good God, yes. Tell me that crapfest isn't getting renewed? Unbelievable!

Oh, yes, and I swear the only reason is because they put the magic initials CSI on it.  For me, there is nothing redeeming about that show, and to keep it over Battle Creek?  Just makes no sense of any kind to me.  

CBS doesn't care at all about quality. They care about numbers. CSI: Cyber had much stronger numbers. The problem is viewers. Why did viewers take better to Cyber than Battle Creek? Maybe because Cyber reinforces their stereotypes and makes them feel comfortable,

(edited)

CBS is a strange place. They have a stable of guaranteed moneymakers that aren't going away anytime soon and every year or so they manage to find yet another one, although they end up discarding quite a few in the process of discovering that one. They always have more shows people would watch than slots for those shows so they end up tossing some perfectly good shows fairly quickly. It's upsetting when they dump something I wish they'd keep but I can see how it happens.

You know what would be good? If CBS could work like HBO & Cinemax, where CBS could keep the golden-goose shows going while having a secondary channel for slightly less profitable but good little gems that people would also reliably watch. Maybe it would get less advertising dollars but tied to a big moneymaker like CBS there would be less pressure and shows like Battle Creek or CHAOS (sob!) would have breathing room to grow.

There's probably some broadcast network regulatory barrier to this but if it ever happens, I'd be glad to watch shows on both channels. Hear that, CBS?

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

I wonder if this show would have worked better as a summer series? It wouldn't have had the fierce competition from GoT, MM, etc. The tone of Battle Creek is light enough that I think it could have worked. 

• Love 6

wtf!  Battle Creek was one of my favorite new shows this year and they cancelled it?  I think I'll just ignore anything on Sunday that is in competitive slots next year.  Vince Gilligan + Dean Winters + great script=cancelled?  Sorry if I'm ranting, I just found out it was cancelled.

• Love 1