Type keyword(s) to search

Battle Creek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It has Dewey Crowe!  Or the scary assassin guy from Vegas, but I love Dewey Crowe, so I'll give it a go.

OMG, I didn't recognize him!  Definitely a reason to watch.  Plus I kinda liked the pilot; I'll give it more time to hook me.

• Love 1
Thank you to everyone who verified the pronunciation of eclaires for the locale of the show. When my family moved from the east coast to the Chicago area it was quite a linguistic culture shock for my mom, and she let everyone in the family know when something was prounounced "wrong."​

That's so interesting to me because I've never heard anyone other French people pronounce it any way other than ee-clairs.  And I'm born and bread east coast.

I liked it.  Like others, I'm a big Dean Winters fan, and I'm a mild Josh D. fan.  I think it may take another episode or two to really find its footing, but that's often true of pilots.  There's so much exposition that has to happen in first episodes, and the actors are usually working from just one script and so haven't really gotten to know their characters.  Pilots often seem clunky to me, but I thought this one showed some real potential, and I have confidence that most of the actors can really make it work.  

I think the "is it comedy or drama?" sense is intentional, and I'm on board.  It's a fine line to walk, but if they can pull it off I'll love it.  Not many shows have been able to make it work, but MASH, Buffy, and OITNB to name a few have done a good job with it.  

• Love 2

Thank you to everyone who verified the pronunciation of eclaires for the locale of the show. When my family moved from the east coast to the Chicago area it was quite a linguistic culture shock for my mom, and she let everyone in the family know when something was prounounced "wrong."

That's so interesting to me because I've never heard anyone other French people pronounce it any way other than ee-clairs.  And I'm born and bread east coast....
And I've actually never heard them pronounced any other way than the French way, in part because the people of the area of Chicagoland to which we moved many decades ago called them (and also jelly donuts) "Bismarcks." They also called Danish pastries "sweet rolls." My poor, uprooted mother. I don't know what they call them nowadays.

Anyway, hearing ee-claire this and ee-claire that throughout the episode made me finally understand how my mom must've felt hearing it "wrong." I can accept the variant pronunciation on the show, but it would have been nice if Milt had pronounced them "ay-claires," but the postings here seem to indicate most viewers would have found it odd, so it's probably better that he didn't.

Having now suffered through the pilot of CSI Cyber, this one looked pretty good in comparison. Not great, but I'm willing to watch the next episode.

• Love 1

Jersey girl here and it's ayclair. You just wouldn't pronounce them any other way, not a snooty thing, it's just now it's said. There's a good humor bar called an eclair and the guy who sells them at the park calls it an ayclair.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jersey girl here and it's ayclair. You just wouldn't pronounce them any other way, not a snooty thing, it's just now it's said. There's a good humor bar called an eclair and the guy who sells them at the park calls it an ayclair.

My mom's a Jersey girl too, so that explains it. :)

If you put head shots of young Dean Winters and Josh Duhamel side-by-side, DW would win the attractiveness contest hands down. IMO.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
If you put head shots of young Dean Winters and Josh Duhamel side-by-side, DW would win the attractiveness contest hands down. IMO.

Even putting current Dean Winters and Josh Duhamel side-by-side, DW still wins it for me. It's just the voice and the whole package.

I enjoyed the pilot and I thought the two main characters have good chemistry to carry the show.

• Love 4

I think this ep went much smoother than the pilot. The syrup cartel and trying to do a sting on Julio McFarland (I love that name) was wonderfully absurd.

And if that was Dean Winters scaling that fence, looking pretty spry.

• Love 1

I think this ep went much smoother than the pilot. The syrup cartel and trying to do a sting on Julio McFarland (I love that name) was wonderfully absurd.

And if that was Dean Winters scaling that fence, looking pretty spry.

Yes, yes, and yes!

I loved that they didn't feel the need to explain the name, and that instead of Henri McFarland or some other French first name (which would have been more likely for the geographic area), they went with a Mexican cartel-ish first name.

The producers of this show can thank CSI Cyber for sucking so badly, since I bet I'm not the only one who decided to give this one a second episode chance instead of that one. I realize they're not on the same time/night, but that really doesn't matter anymore, does it? It's more about total watching time allocations.

Holly sure adores Russ and he was very chivalrous with the water cooler jug. Just sayin'.

• Love 1

If you're going to do a story in which someone makes maple syrup, it would be a good idea to find out how maple syrup is made.

If the cops can run around in suit jackets, there is no snow on the ground and the trees are green-- there just ain't no frickin sap to boil down!

We'll over look that the 'Pure Vermont Maple Syrup' was actually made in Michigan and illegally mis-labelled.

• Love 1

In Canada, even bilingual anglophones say ee-clairs. I don't think I've ever heard a francophone order one. The lady in the pastry shop speaks better French than English, but she says ee-clair too. On the other hand she's an immigrant from Lebanon.

I was pretty bored by the same old /same old story. Straight by the book young cop versus Do whatever it takes older cop. Gotham. Some episodes of Castle. Due South. Training Day. Beverly Hills Cop.Murdoch Mysteries. It's a very tired trope.

I tuned in for Kal Penn who was the only actor I'd ever heard of, and I did enjoy his performance. It does perhaps lessen the drama when you notice that he has pointed out the killer before the second commercial break and everybody ignores him. I wonder if this will be a recurring theme.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hesitate to say I like this show because usually that causes shows to be cancelled but...I like it! (Also, agree with above re CSI: Cyber.)

"There's a maple syrup cartel?" Ha. It's good to see the other characters pitching in, such as with Holly noticing the makeup.

The B-plot with Kal Penn was clever, especially Teddy with the 1-in-20 comment. He's no dope. And in the van, "Hey, I have migraines--pause--BWAHAHA" was great.

Dean Winters is terrific, so far he's bringing a lot more to the show than Duhamel.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 2

There were definitely cringe-worthy moments in this episode, but the actors make it all worthwhile. They just get it. They work the script so well. They take the ridiculous and play it dramatically, but you just know they're in on the joke and I love every second of it. I think anyone else in these roles would make the show completely unwatchable.

• Love 4

I thought the pilot was okay, but I liked this episode so much better.  I've been binge watching OZ recently. I love Dean Winters there, and he is doing a great job in this role too.  I'm not big on procedural shows, but this one seems lighthearted and fun, and I'm glad they aren't taking themselves too seriously...maple syrup cartel, HA!  I'm all in! 

• Love 2

Diner guy reaching for a gun? No. "It's a crepe!" That one line sold me on the whole show. It's all so sly. Born and raised in Michigan so I know the tough economy does breed a certain inside humor. Real mystery is will this show last. Hope so.

• Love 1

Last week's ep was meh, but I always give a pilot a pass with a strong cast.  (Dean Winters has successfully portrayed characters that dated Carrie Bradshaw, Olivia Benson, and Liz Lemon;  if that isn't acting chops, I'm not sure what is. LOL!)  But this week's episode was great!  A bit of a crazy crime, Milt was a good straight guy but showed a sense of humor, and good use of the other characters.  I hope this gets a good shot.  Maybe it needs a better time slot or a different network.  It feels more FX to me.

• Love 1

You could tell the contrast between Detective Russ Agnew(Mayhem,L&O:SVU) and FBI Agent Milton Chamberlain. Russ used the old way, beat the bushes and a lot of foot work. Milt used machines and tests. I was surprised that Milton's boss looked releieved to get rid of him on his transfer.

Detectives wise I like Detective Fontanelle White. I think he is a good partner to Agnew, or a 3rd Detective. Detective Aaron Funkhauser is cool, but he reminds me of the cop shows of the 70's. Or a flashback show that tries to be the 70's stereo type. Commander Kim Guziewicz fits as a boss usually does. With Detectives Niblet, Erin Jacocks and Holly Dale I need more time to see if the team jells. But it isn't a bad start.

I do see some sparks between Russ and Holly. She seems to care for him a lot. I just hope she isn't drawn to Milt. She did say he looked good(distracting), and Niblet agreed. Also everyone likes Milt's donuts(eclairs) better then Russe's. Who knows if things will mesh.

The episode and case itself was a little bit all over the place. Between Teddy the Snitch and Omar we could have some good reacuring snitch/bad guys. It was funny how both guys(Agnew/Milt) think so different on interogation. Ricky shot the couple over drugs.

I will definately stick around. But I can't see dropping a show after only 1 or 2 episodes anyway.

I to really miss The Good Guys! But I miss CSI in that spot at 10 also.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 1

(Dean Winters has successfully portrayed characters that dated Carrie Bradshaw, Olivia Benson, and Liz Lemon;  if that isn't acting chops, I'm not sure what is. LOL!

And Sarah Connor!

• Love 1

Eddie's wife Neysa Floss could not drown him and then strip and carry him to the woods to look like he died a different way. So it had to be dad Phil. Since we see Eddie beat her.

I liked the snide remarks back and forth between Russ and ME Meredith Oberling. I like Meredith Eaton as an actress. Russ complained about her office being outiftted for little people instead of her standing on a box. I laughed at that. Yes Russe's snide remarks might be mean but she gave it right back to him. Then he complained about them not getting working tasers and other eguipment. She automatically liked Milt. He ofcourse sided with her.

I figured at the scene when Russ was giving his thoughts on the murder that Milt would show up. later to his ideas of going with actual syrup for the sting instead of water in the drums was good. I thought at first that when they talked to wife Neysa Floss and her father Phil, that maybe he had something to do with Eddie's death. Then as they do sometimes is let him disapear into the back ground. Then with Neysa coming to see Holly to get her hubbies ring back and then she seeing the make up mistakes pointed to abuse and Neysa doing it. Wasn't sure if she was trying to get it to hock it, or to hide how she got her bruises? But Eddie said no to the syrup cartel leader Julio McFarland. Liked him in Cagney and Lacey, but since he usually plays bad guys. He wasn't locked up this time, but he must have his fingers in other businesses.(Yes it was a pun). The shootout with the motorcycle shootist was good, he only made leaks in the 55 gal. drums. Would it have been better to have them full of water?

I thought after suspended Russ, came to Milt with his ideas on the killing that it was nice he paid him a buck to consult. Also the problem of Judge Walters not helping them is interesting. Wonder what will be done about that? Also liked when Russ went over McFarlands fence and his 2 "Daring Dobermens"(It was a movie),went after him. Then they got to the meat of the subject by biting him. I also liked where Russ talked to Larry Meade who took the fall for Julio, at the bar.

At the end Russ and Font went on a call and didn't ask Milt. We see him in his office, does he feel he is being left out? Or does he feel he is helping them have more confidence on calls? Or did I totally not get the scene?

Edited by webruce

I'm watching this Show now because of it's strong cast and good acting.  The writing, well, I'd like the stories to be better plotted.  I guess I'll stick to this Show as I like seeing how all the relationships will be developing with Milt Chamberlain now in the mix.

Did anyone feel kinda sorry for Milt when Milt wasn't asked if he wanted to join the investigation?  I'm still trying to figure out Milt's expression at the end of the episode.

• Love 1

Did anyone feel kinda sorry for Milt when Milt wasn't asked if he wanted to join the investigation?  I'm still trying to figure out Milt's expression at the end of the episode.

I took it as a look of resigned patience, like "Have we learned nothing from this, people? Here we go again."

• Love 2

Wasn't a fan of the pilot, but I thought this was better.  Still not a huge fan of Milt, but at least some of the shine was taken off of him, and he didn't always get his way.  But, I really liked seeing them finally do something with Kal Penn's character, and I'm warming up to Holly, the Commander, and Niblet.

Russ is still my favorite.  Dean Winters can deliver any line and just make it laugh out-loud funny.

Death by maple syrup and it being treated like a drug story was highly entertaining.

Hope we get more of the coroner; she was awesome.

Hey, the guy playing McFarland's bodyguard was totally Choo-Choo from Justified!

• Love 1

The little girl (Kyla-Drew Simmons) was adorable.

Who played the mom? She was good too.

I hope Holly continues to think that Milt is a lying adulterer so Russ doesn't have to watch Holly fall for Milt.

It would have been nice to hear Joe being led away in handcuffs yell to Russ: "The reason I didn't invite you to the barbecue was because I knew you were the only one who would notice something was off with me!"

The only problem I had procedurally was when Holly was stabbing all the heroin bags without much care for preserving the integrity of the evidence.

Edited by shapeshifter

The little girl (Kyla-Drew Simmons) was adorable.

<snip>

The only problem I had procedurally was when Holly was stabbing all the heroin bags without much care for preserving the integrity of the evidence.

Yes and yes!

What does Holly do that she just go into evidence plus the ultra secure evidence where the heroin was kept and take/test it without signing it out (at the very least)?

I got confused - does Milt know about his old boss' wife's diary somehow?

• Love 2

Same here! I thought, Way to wreck the chain of evidence, Holly. Though they said later the guy was already in jail, so maybe it didn't matter anymore?

I mean, I get it, knowing about it would suck...  a lot. But actual infidelity is worse, no?

I think because it's someone they both know. It probably felt more like a genuine betrayal. It's not like his wife was fantasizing about sleeping with Ryan Gosling.

I'm only mildly interested as to why Milt was transferred to Battle Creek, though. I'm also kind of surprised no one on the squad has Googled him or dug around the LEO websites for information. 

I think because it's someone they both know. It probably felt more like a genuine betrayal. It's not like his wife was fantasizing about sleeping with Ryan Gosling.
Right, I get that.  But wouldn't actually having an affair, actually sleeping with Milt be worse?  When Russ told the guy the rumor was that his wife cheated on him with Milt, the guy said what actually happened was worse.  So he's saying the fantasy is worse than an actual affair.  
  • Love 1

And what guy hasn't fantasized about sex with someone other that his SO? 

Pot meet Kettle.

And so that lead to his divorce?  Marriage must have been paper thin if that is the reason.

I think my head canon will be that both the boss and his wife had a Milt fantasy.

• Love 8

Yeah, I couldn't make much sense of the twist either.  I thought maybe part of it being "worst" for the guy was that Milt saved his life too, so it made him feel emasculated that his wife fantasized about the guy who saved him, but that still doesn't make much sense to me, if no actual affair take place.  I have to think that almost every couple has fantasized about someone else; it's just one of those things you don't talk about (unless it's a kink!), and as long as doesn't become unhealthy (I'm assuming the wife wasn't following Milt or always asking about him), it's fine.

Then again, I might have just been out of it this episode, because I didn't really see where they were going with a love triangle between Milt/Holly/Russ.  I really haven't got the sense yet that Holly cares about Milt that much.  She obviously acknowledges his looks, but so far, she seems way more into Russ.  Now, granted, I do wonder why Russ hasn't even asked her out yet (insecurity?), but Liz Laperia's conclusions, seem to come out of nowhere.  I could easily see Holly falling for someone else; at the moment, I just don't see her showing any interest to Milt outside of his looks.

The case was good, in that Milt started out right about almost everything, but in the end, that particular heroin was from another batch, and Russ ended up being a big part in solving the case.  I still wish they didn't always make Russ a screw-up, but it's only the third episode, so maybe they'll find a balance soon.

On a lighter note, there was an Allstate "Mayhem" commercial during one of the breaks and I giggled like a loon through the whole thing. It's got to be at least a year since I've seen one of those! He was a ringing cell phone under the driver's seat and caused a rear-end accident when the driver couldn't reach it. Yeah, it was weird seeing Dean Winters on the show and during the commercial break but I'm definitely not complaining.

I was just taking Milt's former boss's story at face value, but y'all have convinced me that there was more to it.

Plus, they keep showing in the previouslies that clip of the boss expressing how much he really hates Milt. So maybe it's something more.

I'm okay with it - it is lightweight enough but I guess I'm missing what is so FABULOUS about Milt.  Nice, competent, smart guy - like a lot of men.  I don't find him particularly attractive (never did) and really do find his personality to be dull - there's nothing charismatic about him - for  me, anyway, and I know it is subjective but for me, charisma makes up for his supposedly handsomeness anyway - as does a terrific sense of humor (along with smart, empathetic, kind) - 

But, fine enough when I need/want a distraction.  

The little girl was a terrific young actress.  I like DW from past shows but finding his perpetual growling here grating - hoping they figure out how to balance this out at some point soon.

• Love 1

I kind of think Milt was Hot Fuzzed. Or maybe sent in to root out some corruption in the PD, which is why he keeps nosing in on their cases.

I think the chemistry is developing well with the cast. Everyone has something to do and I really appreciate the diversity. There something about it that makes it feel a lot like Psyche, but without the fake psychic stuff.

So having a taste of the mystery white power is standard procedure? I cringed!

I predict that both of them will be wrong.

That little girl annoyed me With her "I can't"s

For a second I thought the brownies would have an extra special ingredient.

That scene at the end at the parking garage, pure mayhem! :)

So there wasn't even an affair?? wow, milt.

Why was the FBI guy reading his wife's diary?  Once you're violating trust issues like that the end is nigh.

Cookie doesn't look any police dog I've ever seen.  Which ties into next week I guess?

If Battle Creek doesn't take any more care to secure its evidence locker than we've seen so far, no wonder they have problems.

AIUI, police use German shepherds and similar dogs for crowd control etc., but (at least for some departments) dogs to be trained to detect drugs etc. are often selected from shelters and may be almost any breed.  I liked this dog because as a mixed breed (probably from a shelter) she symbolized the Battle Creek PD's lower budget, and she certainly took her work seriously.

• Love 3

I thought Milt's old partner/Chief made up the story to get Battle Creek people off his back. The story made him look bad, so no one would follow up. I think the real reason he is there is still a mystery/ (I'm guessing there is someone they are secretly investigating in the department.)

• Love 1
...For a second I thought the brownies would have an extra special ingredient....

Oh, I assumed they did, given Fontanelle's proclivity for pot.

Same here, and the look on his face when people took them also made me think they were pot brownies.

(I'm guessing there is someone they are secretly investigating in the department.)

Possibly, but Milt's old boss seemed gleeful to get rid of him; there's that shot in the recap where he's by himself and basically says good riddance to Milt. Of course he can feel that way anyway, but if Milt is supposed to be investigating someone in the BCPD, we've yet to see him make any sort of reports to a superior—no mystery e-mails or phone calls. I know it's only the second episode, but I'd think they'd have started to set that up.

Finally had a chance to watch the pilot. I was curious, as a transplanted Michi-goon with close ties to Battle Creek. Meh. I'll give it another episode or two to find its feet. My big question is: what the hell's up with the eeeeeclairs and coffee cake? Coffee cake?! Southwest lower michigan is donut territory. Sweetwater Donuts, specifically. Dunkers. Sinkers. Big fat cake donuts. Coffee cake is for Easter Sunday.

• Love 1