Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

On 12/5/2016 at 4:32 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

And why is Sofia Boutella perpetually cast as alien/foreign/abnormal?

Maybe her dance background? She can do choreography/movements that really sell a character as superhuman or inhuman, in contrast to most Hollywood actresses. (Well, except for Taylor Swift, but I don't think she intends to make me think her characters are robot human suits piloted by tiny aliens from the Men in Black franchise...)

• Love 1

Eh...I don't recall her Star Trek character doing any movements that an actor without a dance background couldn't do.  Maybe her mummy character will be doing acrobatics in her quest for world domination.  

ETA:

Taylor Swift does have an odd way of carrying herself. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
On 12/5/2016 at 6:32 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

And why is Sofia Boutella perpetually cast as alien/foreign/abnormal? 

In this particular instance, I assume she was cast because she's of North African heritage and thus vaguely the right ethnicity for the role.  Most of the time when Hollywood needs an Egyptian they grab a Latino or Indian actor.

6 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Eh...I don't recall her Star Trek character doing any movements that an actor without a dance background couldn't do.  Maybe her mummy character will be doing acrobatics in her quest for world domination.

I'm going to presume you haven't seen Kingsmen, then. Boutella played Samuel L. Jackson's henchwoman Gazelle, a double amputee with metal prosthetics instead of feet. And did a damn good job with her fight scenes.

War on Everyone looks dumb but I can see where it would have worked (or at least been more appealing to me) with different casting and a different director. It's not necessary Pena and Skarsgard but I'm not feeling Theo James or some of the people in minor roles. Am I under the illusion that movies used to be better cast or is it just that the leads used to be so much more of the focus and more compelling that you didn't notice?

A Cure for Wellness. LOL. First I thought it was going to be one of those deep, dark pretentious musings that quasi-film nerds love to bring up to feel superior or edgy. Like Fight Club or The Matrix but more pseudointellectual... like The Zero Theorem. Like a lesser 1984 or Slaughterhouse Five kind of vibe. Then it became a thriller like Shutter Island. Typical haunted house/asylum stuff. 

The Emoji Movie trailer got a laugh (just one) out of me in spite of myself. The delivery was just so dry.

Rock Dog looks so bad. Eddie Izzard is tempting me to like it but... no. It's Eddie Izzard so I'm waiting for the joke... but it never comes. I'd rather just watch Cats Don't Dance again.

15 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'm going to presume you haven't seen Kingsmen, then. Boutella played Samuel L. Jackson's henchwoman Gazelle, a double amputee with metal prosthetics instead of feet. And did a damn good job with her fight scenes.

Yep, I've seen it, and I agree she did a great job.  That's one role where her dance background made sense.  The Mummy isn't out yet, so we'll see. 

16 hours ago, SeanC said:

In this particular instance, I assume she was cast because she's of North African heritage and thus vaguely the right ethnicity for the role.  Most of the time when Hollywood needs an Egyptian they grab a Latino or Indian actor.

You're giving Hollywood more credit than I am. 

17 hours ago, SeanC said:

Ha.  Arnold Vosloo is an Afrikaaner.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:12 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Maybe her dance background? She can do choreography/movements that really sell a character as superhuman or inhuman, in contrast to most Hollywood actresses. (Well, except for Taylor Swift, but I don't think she intends to make me think her characters are robot human suits piloted by tiny aliens from the Men in Black franchise...)

That's the mistake they made in Suicide Squad! It should have been Boutella doing the weird witchy dancy thing!

I like Boutella and hope she does well. She was my favorite part of the last Star Trek despite having to act through all of that distracting makeup. She's a natural for an action movie lead. Given the franchise emphasis on diversity, I'm surprised they didn't snatch her up for Fast and Furious 8. (Although getting Furiousa was a pretty good move.)

• Love 1

It would have been interesting to see how June Moon/Enchantress would have worked out in the hands of someone with charisma and acting talent. Then again, with Cara Delevingne in the role we don't have to be sad that a promising career was derailed by a horrible script and visual choices.

• Love 2

I saw the trailer for the new XXX movie today.  At one point, someone asks the Vin Diesel character, "Who are you", and I yelled out what seemed to be the only logical response, "I am Groot".  Needless to say, I won't be going to see XXX.  Oh well.

• Love 8

Usually I have the mute on by the time "A Dog's Purpose" starts showing, and what with the back-to-back shots of young dog and old dog of the same breed, I thought OK, it's another Dying Dog Movie. But I heard the voiceover this time and noticed the next puppy shot was a different breed - the dog is getting reincarnated? So that means we have lots of dying dog scenes? What sort of emotional masochist would go to that?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Usually I have the mute on by the time "A Dog's Purpose" starts showing, and what with the back-to-back shots of young dog and old dog of the same breed, I thought OK, it's another Dying Dog Movie. But I heard the voiceover this time and noticed the next puppy shot was a different breed - the dog is getting reincarnated? So that means we have lots of dying dog scenes? What sort of emotional masochist would go to that?

I know, right?! My mom might wind up dragging me to this anyway. God help me...

11 hours ago, Jamoche said:

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It's like they made a movie based on that meme of "How Dogs See Humans" http://imgur.com/gallery/yipcVo9

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Jamoche said:

11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was actually all ready to see it (what can I say; I'm a masochist I guess), but then I just saw this video of them forcing a clearly terrified dog into rushing water.  Fuck this movie.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I was actually all ready to see it (what can I say; I'm a masochist I guess), but then I just saw this video of them forcing a clearly terrified dog into rushing water.  Fuck this movie.

I do not understand how they get away with that!  My husband worked on one of the Leprechaun movies and they were required to have someone from the Humane Society on the set to make sure that the green paint they were using on the cockroaches was non-toxic and that they were unharmed. 

CHIPs, or let's see how many dick and homophobic jokes we can cram into a two and a half minute trailer.

Let's not forget the "yoga pants are so desirable that I can't control myself" scene.  *sigh*

Edited by Shannon L.
On 1/24/2017 at 6:47 PM, BetterButter said:

The Assignment

Oh my God!!  This was originally called (Re)Assignment and played at the Toronto International Film Festival where several sites named it the "worst of the festival" and people objected to the "transphobic" plot.  I saw it* and it is mesmerizingly terrible -- how how how did Sigourney Weaver and Tony Shaloub and Anthony LaPaglia end up in this??? -- but I challenge the "transphobic" allegation.  If anything, I'd call it straight up misogyny rather than transphobia -- a man is "punished" by being turned into a woman against his will.

*I chose my films before the reviews were in.

ETA: Looking at IMDb, it seems they are still uncertain about the title -- the official title is "The Assignment" but the poster shown says "TOMBOY". Honestly, it's almost in the 'so bad it's good" range. I don't want to say "don't see this film" because it's just too bananas, I feel like people need to experience it to fully appreciate the sheer insanity and poor decision making that went into its creation.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

I don't know if the Dean trailer really sold me on that movie but it did show me that a lot of actors I like are in it so now I want to watch it. Success?

The House looks like nonsense but fun nonsense. It made me laugh. Plus like Dean, a bunch of actors I like.

Sandy Wexler... I know Jennifer Hudson isn't much of an actress but an Adam Sandler movie?

Colossal seems... interesting. Maybe. I don't know. I'm not so sure about Anne Hathaway controlling a monster in South Korea. Are we going to check in with any Korean characters? If not, why not just have it be a monster in Maine or wherever it is that they live? 

Oh my God!!  This was originally called (Re)Assignment and played at the Toronto International Film Festival where several sites named it the "worst of the festival" and people objected to the "transphobic" plot.  I saw it* and it is mesmerizingly terrible -- how how how did Sigourney Weaver and Tony Shaloub and Anthony LaPaglia end up in this??? -- but I challenge the "transphobic" allegation.  If anything, I'd call it straight up misogyny rather than transphobia -- a man is "punished" by being turned into a woman against his will.

*I chose my films before the reviews were in.

ETA: Looking at IMDb, it seems they are still uncertain about the title -- the official title is "The Assignment" but the poster shown says "TOMBOY". Honestly, it's almost in the 'so bad it's good" range. I don't want to say "don't see this film" because it's just too bananas, I feel like people need to experience it to fully appreciate the sheer insanity and poor decision making that went into its creation.

Yeah, it sounds like misogyny with the added bonus of also being offensive to the trans community. Is it like Showgirls bad or The Room bad? Like, is it watchable? I know Michelle Rodriguez has a naturally rough voice but she's putting that on, right? It reminds me of the way the actress lowered her voice in Just One of the Guys. I hope there's an explanation for some of those outfits if she already resents being a woman. I can kind of get where someone thought it would be a good idea for a man to experience life as a woman. They brought up redemption in that trailer which makes it sound like all of those body swapping/transformation walk a mile in someone else's shoes movies. But Sigourney Weaver's character also very clearly stated that it was a punishment which kind of throws that out the window.

Apparently it was written by Denis Hamill writer of... nothing you've ever heard of and Walter Hill who has writing credits on The Warriors, 48 Hours, Streets of Fire, Aliens, and Alien 3... which at least partially explains Sigourney Weaver's involvement.

For the first minute I kept expecting some comedic twist... but none came. Do they really expect people to take this seriously?

(edited)

The screencap from the Dean trailer tells me all I need to know, that seeing it would put money in the pocket of that miserable piece of shit Dimitri Martin. I've never forgiven him for agreeing to play Elliot Tiber in his autobiographical story and then turning  talk show appearances promoting it into opportunities to complain about how grossed out he was by "having" to play a gay man.

Edited by Bruinsfan

I saw Kong today. Good, but not unmissable. There's a stinger too. I enjoyed it, but I don't feel an urge to see it again or start a thread about it.

Those three alone would be enough to see it, and I see that it also has both Toby Jones and Sofia Boutella (who gets it on with Charlize Theron?!) in it, so yeah, I'm watching it.

Even though she is playing an agent instead of a hitman, I am getting John Wick vibes though, with the camera work and how they are clearly showing that Charlize Theron is going to do a bunch of the fight scenes and stunts herself.  Again, there are worst ways to spend time at theaters.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Those three alone would be enough to see it, and I see that it also has both Toby Jones and Sofia Boutella (who gets it on with Charlize Theron?!) in it, so yeah, I'm watching it.

Even though she is playing an agent instead of a hitman, I am getting John Wick vibes though, with the camera work and how they are clearly showing that Charlize Theron is going to do a bunch of the fight scenes and stunts herself.  Again, there are worst ways to spend time at theaters.

Killer Queen, indeed.

9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Even though she is playing an agent instead of a hitman, I am getting John Wick vibes though, with the camera work and how they are clearly showing that Charlize Theron is going to do a bunch of the fig

I wonder if they used the fight choreographer from Daredevil. The styles really seem similar.

On 3/9/2017 at 9:09 AM, dusang said:

Whoa Netflix!!! I know they're big but Brad Pitt and Will Smith seem ... big.

De Niro and Scorsese as well.

12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Atomic Blonde was directed by David Leitch who also co-directed John Wick and is currently directing Deadpool 2. Leitch left John Wick 2 to his directing partner Chad Stahelski. Both Leitch and Staheski are former stunt coordinators and stunt men that had been suggested by Keanu Reeves (they all worked together on the Matrix) for John Wick. When John Wick did well, Focus offered Atomic Blonde to them.

I didn't go to film school so I don't have the language for it but War Machine looks like a smaller movie to me. Not exactly a TV movie. But like a Burn After Reading kind of a movie but with less interesting camera angles. I was going to compare it to one of the Clooney movies... Men Who Stare At Goats or Monuments Men but looking at those trailers they look more expensive. But kudos to Netflix for paying for those actors.

The Bright trailer 100% didn't go the way I thought it was going to go.

I don't think Naked will be a good movie but "Groundhog Day... but he's naked" is a pretty solid elevator pitch... and it actually involved an elevator. 

Rough Night seems like it might be trying a little hard but this is one of the few times I can remember Scarlett Johanssen in a commercial (non-superhero) movie where she looks like she's at least pretending to have fun. It was almost a little jarring. Speaking of jarring, that trailer also took a real turn. I don't know if I was more into it when it was a women-centric party movie or when it became a bonkers crisis high concept movie. They're both popular in comedy right now but neither one is really my favorite thing. 

The international trailer for Baby Driver is a lot better than the domestic one, but Edgar Wright alone would be enough to sell it to me. He's one of the few comedy directors out there these days with a really distinct voice and visual style, and his action skills have gotten better and better with each film, so this should be great. The reactions from the first screening seem to be really positive too, so I can't wait.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2017 at 1:21 AM, BetterButter said:

ROUGH NIGHT

Isn't this just a gender-flipped Very Bad Things? Give a take a bit of Weekend At Bernie's thrown in...

Anyway, Very Bad Things was not an overwhelming success at the time but I guess there's more creative upside in remaking a so-so/bad movie than a classic? Still I imagine the premise running into even more resistance in 2017, than it already did in 1998.

Edited by Dejana

Re: Baby Driver

It's such a tropetastic plot as it's laid out that I have to imagine there's more to it than that. Also, the young characters seem like the least interesting people in the movie so I hope it's more of an ensemble movie than the trailer lets on.