Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

Yeah I agree the YouTube/Vine guys were not so good (although both have very nice bodies - I googled them).

I was just catching up on this week's shows -- I would also contribute a vote for Brittany Furlan, because, damn, she looked good in that tight red shirt.  And she was really rocking the moves after she won.  

• Love 1

Whenever they have non-comedians on the show, I am slightly worried, but I thought Chris Kluwe and Tom Ellis did a pretty good job, especially Chris. And I liked that host-Chris was so encouraging to the female comedian (who's name escapes me).

• Love 1

Those people in Texas who were saying they had dirt from 'the flood' *had* to be trolling. I just can't even.

What's up with trashing people who have their own cloth grocery bags? 

So-called Mr. Nerd Chris needs to also brush up on how to pronounce Motoko Kusanagi correctly too. 

Edited by ganesh

The elimination was hilarious.  I also didn't know TWD actress was their sister.  I disagree about it being surprisingly fun, though.  I thought a lot of the jokes fell flat.  :/

I hope the show will be doing more theme/cast guests. It gives viewers a break from the parade of returning comics, plus having panelists with existing friendships usually results in a greater ease among them.

However, the producers need to do a better job of explaining to first-timers that the ejected third panelist should not just wander off the stage.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, lordonia said:

However, the producers need to do a better job of explaining to first-timers that the ejected third panelist should not just wander off the stage.

I would normally agree, but I laughed just as hard at Tony's "bullying" when Chris dragged him back to the red light, as I did anything else.

I love Veep, and this episode showed me why. I've seen Tony a bit so I knew I enjoyed his humour but Reid and Tim also killed me too.

• Love 1

Has anyone ever, and I mean ever, looked sexy doing the Running Man?

A good thing about having actors on the panel is that they tend to give pretty good line readings. Not that comedians don't, necessarily, but it's a demonstrably different vibe which I like.

• Love 1

I liked the Mastersons and the cast of Veep. Tony Hale's crack about emasculating characters stole the show. I agree with Chris though that it was too hard to tell who won. It looked like he didn't know what to do and the producers just told him to call it a draw.

The 5 word sibling jokes were really good. 

That's a clever joke, and likely now that you mention it, but the cheering seemed even to me. Maybe they set it up beforehand. The guys didn't seem to be in on it.

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I didn't think it was that difficult to tell then other times in the past. I think the tie was clearly a nod to VEEP.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

That's a clever joke, and likely now that you mention it, but the cheering seemed even to me. Maybe they set it up beforehand. The guys didn't seem to be in on it.

Oh, it was definitely a nod to VEEP, since Chris mentioned the Electoral College right before he declared the tie.

(edited)

I like Marcella a lot. I'd actually go see her if she ever had a gig here.

I don't think she was even wearing a crop top; she's just that tall.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

OK - why in the hell was Rory Scovel naked?!? Nobody even acknowledged it. And - was he really naked? They were so consistent with the blurring that they were blurring him even when nothing "naughty" would have been exposed - like just the very edge of his hips if he leaned too far from the podium. Which made me think he was actually wearing some sort of shorts or swimsuit. 

That was the most random WTF thing I can ever remember happening on this show.

(Oh good Lord, not the Sklar brothers again.)

Watched the extended version of the Thursday show with the Sklars and Jon Dore -- and the mocking Canadians bit went on for quite a while.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Is he known for nudity? Or was it a dare or something?

Not really sure, and it's odd that nothing was said about it during the entire show.  Though Rory did a scene as a male stripper on Undateable.

On 5/12/2016 at 3:28 PM, iMonrey said:

OK - why in the hell was Rory Scovel naked?!? Nobody even acknowledged it. And - was he really naked? They were so consistent with the blurring that they were blurring him even when nothing "naughty" would have been exposed - like just the very edge of his hips if he leaned too far from the podium. Which made me think he was actually wearing some sort of shorts or swimsuit. 

That was the most random WTF thing I can ever remember happening on this show.

I can't speak to why he was naked, but Jen Kirkman posted a picture on her Instagram of the three of them backstage, and he was wearing flesh colored underwear, so he wasn't actually naked the entire time.  I feel like this falls under the category of either "inside joke between the comedians" or "something they all thought was really funny".

On 5/14/2016 at 4:07 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Watched the extended version of the Thursday show with the Sklars and Jon Dore -- and the mocking Canadians bit went on for quite a while.

The three of them have known each other for years, and Jon was the one who started the Canadian mocking. But he has said he can't believe how long the Sklars have kept the bit going.

(Oh good Lord, not the Sklar brothers again.)

I know--they are on the show a lot, but I like them, so I don't mind. The modern movie title #Hashtag Wars were hilarious. I think it was Jason who said, "Reporting Minorities." Too Funny.

On 4/16/2016 at 11:40 AM, attica said:

I liked Rich's delivery overall. Very dry.

Hah. For a moment until I looked up at the earlier post and saw this had to be about Rich Eisen, I was all "Rich Hall came back to the US and appeared on @midnight?  Really?"

That about exhausts me on Riches though, except Rich Little, and I think the idea of him showing up and doing the same shit he has for 60 years would make most people throw up a little in their mouths. 

On 5/14/2016 at 2:30 PM, ganesh said:

Is he known for nudity? Or was it a dare or something?

Scovel? He's more known for weird over the top conceptual jokes than nudity per se. The whole idea of being naked and nobody acknowledging it seems perfectly in line with his sense of humor.

30 minutes ago, Monty said:

Oh, man. Rich Hall would be perfect on this show, wouldn't he? Maybe Hardwick can take it overseas for a week and load up on England-based talent.

Hmm. Not that it will happen, but lets go game it over in the Panel Wish List topic.

Hah. Been awhile since I looked there. It looks like UK comedians was already a subject there and I forgot. So weird that Rich Hall is a UK comedian these days, but that in fact is what he's been for decades now.

That was a pretty funny ep after the initial unpleasantness of Sindbad being a bad sport about the buzzer. If I were Chris, I wouldn't have eliminated him, either.

Gradient skin tone scale, heh.

The live challenge bit where Greg Behrendt held up the sign that said, "People think I manage Smashmouth" had me laughing so hard I had to pause the DVR. He should have won the whole show for that alone. It's rare to see someone with that level of self-awareness (or, if one of the show's writers came up with it, enough of a good sport to roll with it).

• Love 3
On 5/17/2016 at 3:30 AM, lordonia said:

That was a pretty funny ep after the initial unpleasantness of Sindbad being a bad sport about the buzzer. If I were Chris, I wouldn't have eliminated him, either.

I don't particularly like the phrase "misreading the room" anymore, since the Larry Wilmore White House Correspondents Dinner thing, but I have to fall back on it to describe what that felt like from Sinbad. It seemed like he was perceiving the buzzer thing as a bit, but nobody in the audience really agreed it was one. Then he doubled down a bit later with his reaction to Chris keeping all three panelists--albeit in part because Chris himself totally mismanaged his reaction (he almost made it seem like he was scared of how Sinbad would react to being the one who got eliminated). It just gave this weird dysfunctional aura to the whole episode. I mean doing "angry black man" as a comedy beat is pretty accepted, and in the right circumstances can be damn funny, but it felt totally out of synch with so much else in the episode.

(edited)

My dream set of guests is now Fozzie and Funches! 

I waiver on the third, but Tom Lennon comes to mind.

ETA:  I've rewatched this already today.  It is even funnier. 

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

Fozzie is not my favorite muppet by a longshot, but his coffee cup with "Seth Rogan dressed up like an old timey hobo" was hilarious. I did like this episode that was relatively PG (except for KS's fingerbanging thing, which Fozzie chastised her for).

• Love 2

The Wednesday show (Jonah Ray, Robert Kirkland, Wil Wheaton) is the funniest I can remember in a loooong time. I laughed so hard I started to cough uncontrolably.

Fozzie et al were not that funny to me, and I love Hodgman.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, ABay said:

The Wednesday show (Jonah Ray, Robert Kirkland, Wil Wheaton) is the funniest I can remember in a loooong time. I laughed so hard I started to cough uncontrolably.

It was really fun to have a panel with Chris' good friends because they were comfortable being themselves. Guests I feel are too try hard (see: Rhys Darby) make me itchy.

18 minutes ago, attica said:

"Jig-abytes" made me laugh, but ruefully. Because that's just wrong.

I enjoyed Chris' riff using a soft J for every G word. I also agree with him on the "correct" pronunciation of gif. But then, I verbalize FAQ as "fak," which people always pretend isn't right, either.  ;)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, lordonia said:

It was really fun to have a panel with Chris' good friends because they were comfortable being themselves. Guests I feel are too try hard (see: Rhys Darby) make me itchy.

I enjoyed Chris' riff using a soft J for every G word. I also agree with him on the "correct" pronunciation of gif. But then, I verbalize FAQ as "fak," which people always pretend isn't right, either.  ;)

Wait, 'fak' isn't right?  How, then, is one to pronounce "FAQ" pray tell?  But "gif" is pronounced like the peanut butter, right?

51 minutes ago, ABay said:

Fozzie et al were not that funny to me, and I love Hodgman.

I really think Fozzie wanted to drop some Non-PG jokes, but held back.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Wait, 'fak' isn't right?  How, then, is one to pronounce "FAQ" pray tell?

Welcome to my world, then! Everyone I know spells it out: "eff a queue."

• Love 1

Yeah I say the letters, not a word for FAQ.  Maybe I'll make a change. And I don't care what the creator of it said, I will always say gif with a hard "g".

I did enjoy this episode. Is Wil Wheaton that short or are Jonah and Robert just tall?

1 hour ago, xander874 said:

Is Wil Wheaton that short or are Jonah and Robert just tall?

Yes. :)

You're not alone! I 'fak' with the best of them. But sometimes I 'Eff Ay Cue' when in mixed company.

1 hour ago, fastiller said:

But "gif" is pronounced like the peanut butter, right?

Gif creator says, yes, like the peanut butter, which is (one reason) Wil says it that way. But since the 'g' stands for 'graphic', many people (like Chris and me) scoff at peanut butter and say it with a hard g.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

Welcome to my world, then! Everyone I know spells it out: "eff a queue."

1 hour ago, xander874 said:

Yeah I say the letters, not a word for FAQ.  Maybe I'll make a change. And I don't care what the creator of it said, I will always say gif with a hard "g".

I did enjoy this episode. Is Wil Wheaton that short or are Jonah and Robert just tall?

30 minutes ago, attica said:

Yes. :)

You're not alone! I 'fak' with the best of them. But sometimes I 'Eff Ay Cue' when in mixed company.

Gif creator says, yes, like the peanut butter, which is (one reason) Wil says it that way. But since the 'g' stands for 'graphic', many people (like Chris and me) scoff at peanut butter and say it with a hard g.

Okay - I vary from "eff aay queue" to "fak" and back...  

And attica - you stole my answer with your "Yes". TeeHee - I make my own fun.

• Love 1

Jim Norton seemed to genuinely enjoy the other people's jokes, which is something I always like to see. There seems to be a tendency to stand there, wiating for your next chance to talk, so I approve of people who remain in the moment and acknowledge good work.

• Love 1

I am catching up and just saw the episode with the Sklars.  How do we get them blocked from this show forever?  Chris was laughing at their jokes but the audience seemed lukewarm.  I felt sorry for the other comic, not just for the seemingly never-ending Canada jokes.  Shut up, Sklars! 

Maria Bamford is a treasure.  I'll be watching her Netflix show this weekend.  Bamford!!!