Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

The 90s episode bugged me because it was supposed to be from 98 but all the references and visuals were from like 93/94.

Not only that, but they seemed to be of the impression that ordinary graphics, like the scores on the front of their podiums, were unavailable in the 90's. I think they perfected those back in the 50s, actually.

I did enjoy last night's show though, so thank goodness the gimmicks seems to be over. Maybe they got enough negative feedback to knock it off. Great panel too. Nothing beats old 50s hygiene and health films for hilarity. The one about breasts had me rolling on the floor. Sadly, I remember those films all too well.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

The Heilbig-Hart-Hart show was seriously one of the funniest eps in months. So, so good. 

I love Bruce Campbell (and Ash v Evil Dead is big time fun), but his panel was a bit of a dudely downer after such a great girl ep. Or maybe it's just my deep and abiding aversion to Swardson that informs that view. Could be.

• Love 2

Agreed on all pints, @attica. It hurts me to say it, but Bruce was really disappointing. At times, it seemed like he genuinely didn't understand what the show was about.

Last night was better and I'm sure it's not just my undying love for my favorite Kid in the Hall talking. It's also the comparison to the night before. 

• Love 1

I'm behind because I was at a conference this week. 

I never really got 'making fun of the 90s' as a thing because it didn't seem as transformative to me as the 80s did. Because I grew up in the 80s, and I'm down for making fun of it all around. I'm not better than anyone else, I had a lot of fun in the 90s, but I started college and just working through that. 36 Chambers reminds me of thermodynamics homework. I get the jokes but they don't move my needle. 

I did like the panel though because Margaret Cho is always awesome in any decade. We used to do the Rico Suave song in spanish class too. 

Lisa Loeb is gorgeous. 

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

Lisa Loeb is gorgeous.

I refuse to believe she is 49 which is what wiki tells me.  I love her look, but she is not aging at all.  What witchery is going on?  And where can I get it?

There is no way Lisa Loeb is 49. Also, is she single? 

She voiced Mary Jane on the highly highly underrated Spiderman series on mtv. Which I thought was odd, but really cool. 

Did Chris say "original 12 amendments". Isn't it 10?

Edited by ganesh
On 10/1/2016 at 3:23 PM, ganesh said:

There is no way Lisa Loeb is 49. Also, is she single? 

Does you guys remember her reality shows Life With Lisa and Dweezil & Lisa? Those just zapped into my head.

Thursday's show would have been great if Heather Anne had come up with the Lt. Dangle line on FTW. Tom Lennon may have figured out the game now since his losing streak has been reversed to winning.

• Love 1

I was having childhood flashbacks during Wednesday's Child Protection Goods & Services segment. I was plopped down under one of those sunlamps a ton as a child. I remember it being hours each time, but that might be the faulty perception of a preschooler. Had to stay put, and wasn't allowed to play with my Barbies after I burned off poor Midge's hair on the bulb. Boooooring!

7 hours ago, attica said:

I'm not at all a collector of tchotchkes, but I wouldn't mind having those Golden Girls action figures.

Someone I know posted a photo of the Dorothy figure on Facebook and noted that it could also be Peter Capaldi's Doctor Who.  I never in my life thought there would be a venn diagram that combined Bea Arthur and Peter Capaldi.

Let's see if this works:

41fpIOVT5HL.jpg

14 hours ago, attica said:

I did not recognize Ron Funches with his new hairdo.

I was thinking he looks like he slimmed down a bit.

Chris mentioned he (Ron) would be performing at the Ice House in Pasadena soon.  I lived in Pasadena or surrounds for 15 years and never managed ti find the time to go to the Ice House.  I'd go now to see Ron but now live in Texas.  Dang it!

I got a kick out of the Ken Bone segment, but his 15 minutes of fame should be up right about now. I get sort of a sick feeling in my stomach to think of how these debates have come to be thought of like reality shows.

I'm having a tough time with the Monday show. I get why they had to do a segment on Ken Bone, but the guy is flat out ignorant. Also, the guy is 34. I thought he was 56.

I didn't like the show making fun of the NYC CON cos players either. Isn't that the point of the show? 

And you know what? Firsthand, BYU physics students are *brilliant*, excellent academic researchers, and very nice people. 

I found the segments to be unacceptably intolerant and condescending. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I'm having a tough time with the Monday show. I get why they had to do a segment on Ken Bone, but the guy is flat out ignorant. Also, the guy is 34. I thought he was 56.

Thank you! I don't know why we give 15 minutes of fame every election season to undecided-voter white middle aged men.  Oooh, he wore a red sweater.  Let's heap  praise on him about how AWESOME he is.  He dressed himself after ripping his suit.  *clap* *clap* *clap*

The best thing about those voting segments Chris does is that I know I can fast forward.  It's like his Trump week 2.0.

Edited by Irlandesa

Does Chris not know Ken Bone said the Treyvon Martin killing was justified? Why would you want to associate your show with someone so ignorant? This entire week is falling completely flat for me. 

58 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Does Chris not know Ken Bone said the Treyvon Martin killing was justified? Why would you want to associate your show with someone so ignorant? This entire week is falling completely flat for me. 

The show was filed before that was discovered Ken Bone did nor e high profile shows than this one. 

One would think there would be sufficient research on Bone regardless prior to having him on the show. Aside from the fact that an undecided voter at this point is a moron, so there's not really a reason to celebrate this bag in the first place imo. I mean, I get the segment they did early in the week, but having him skype in was ridiculous. 

9 hours ago, PatternRec said:

I'm not a fan of this new bit where they bring someone in. My guess is it gives the writers something else to write besides quiz show-style answers.

I like it! It gives the show a little more of a sketch-like feel, instead of just being a game show. I've liked all the characters so far, but James Adomian as the vaping guy was definitely the best.

9 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

I like it! It gives the show a little more of a sketch-like feel, instead of just being a game show. I've liked all the characters so far, but James Adomian as the vaping guy was definitely the best.

I don't know - the creepy clown bit was cringe and Yakov Smirnoff as a spy pretending to be a millenial from the US was even worse. 

I agree that it's an interesting format to add. I just wish they'd get better people or better jokes for them. 

I don't know - the creepy clown bit was cringe and Yakov Smirnoff as a spy pretending to be a millenial from the US was even worse.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the new "bit." At the very least it should be chopped in half if not eliminated altogether.

For once, the voters voice bit worked for me.  Well, maybe less the bit and more the next segment when Will as George reappeared. But I missed the FTW segment at the end because the DVR cut off since the guest took up extra time.

What's been going on with Comedy Central's scheduling lately? I set the DVR for the correct time and even add 3 minutes onto the end of it and I still keep getting the FTW segment cut off (almost entirely on last night's show). I understand during debate weeks sometimes The Daily Show ran long but why do I keep getting like 8-10 minutes of The Daily Show whenever I try to record @midnight?

• Love 1

I find Chris' attitude to sports to be condescending. He doesn't have to like sports, and he doesn't have to cover it on the show. When he does, he comes off like a jerk about it.  Why bother?

I think it's interesting because he is an only child raised mostly by his mother who is a super devoted sports fan and a father who he spent time with who was technically a successful professional athlete (bowling) but also into other sports when he was alive. So there us an interesting family dynamic there.

Sports-lovers are often incredibly condescending and even bullying towards people who aren't into sports, so I can easily imagine him having a chip on his shoulder about the whole issue, as a defense. That said, I don't really see his behavior that way. To me, he's kind of mocking himself for how little he knows or cares, and at the same time having a sense of humor about how big a deal sports are to others, so he's going to cover it anyway. Honestly, some sports fans take sports as seriously as some religious people take religion, and get upset if anything other than devotion and reverence are expressed at all times. I think the need for self-deprecation and humor exists on both sides of this issue. You can love something and not need everyone else to love it.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, lordonia said:

I think Chris is proud of how little he knows about sports. He can sometimes come off as a little too defiant in his "up with nerds!" attitude for me.

I think this expresses what I was trying to say more clearly. With all the data analytics involved with sports now, much of it is run by nerds. People code for their fantasy teams even. So, I find his attitude slightly ignorant as well. 

My main point being that there's room for everyone. You can play D&D, or be a gamer, or a broni, and still like to watch a basketball game too. 

He's not required to like sports. He doesn't like it, he doesn't care about it. nbd. I just must be missing his point then, because he's not obligated to cover anything on his show that he doesn't want. 

He brought a sports podcast to his nerdist empire.  I don't think he's rejecting sports or thinks nerds aren't sports people.  He just personally doesn't know or like sports. 

And sure he doesn't have to cover sports but why not for the joke?  It has made for some good hashtags.  Even in his unabashed ignorance of sports, I never got the sense that he thought people who liked them are misguided. 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

He brought a sports podcast to his nerdist empire.

I don't listen to his podcasts, and I was commenting on what I saw on the show. I don't understand the need to prove that my interpretation is somehow not as valid as anyone's else's. Ok, you don't see it. Ok, I do. 

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think Chris is proud of how little he knows about sports. He can sometimes come off as a little too defiant in his "up with nerds!" attitude for me.

As I said already, this basically sums it up. I don't think is particularly controversial. Sometimes it puts me off. He makes fun of how he's not knowledgeable of sports and the jokes stem from that. His ignorance of the topic misses a better opportunity to develop funnier material. That would be like me making a stupid wand joke about Harry Potter, but hey, I didn't read the books so whatever right! 

There's lots of segments on the show that others here don't like either. Some like the Bush segment. I thought it dragged. I don't see the need to yank every political impersonator out of the woodwork. 

On 10/29/2016 at 2:08 PM, ganesh said:

I don't listen to his podcasts, and I was commenting on what I saw on the show. I don't understand the need to prove that my interpretation is somehow not as valid as anyone's else's. Ok, you don't see it. Ok, I do.

I agree we can have differing opinions but since we are discussing our opinions of Chris's POV concerning sports, I do think the things he does outside of his show are germaine to the discussion.

• Love 1

Chris was the character Eleven from Stranger Things. She got nosebleeds when she used her telekinetic powers.

eleven.JPG

I loved Moshe's costume but didn't get the cat-bread thing, either, so appreciate the explanation.

The whole episode was pretty good. The cat bread guy wanting the red light to deliver him from the discomfort of the costume made me laugh.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2