Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I wonder how much the older sisters, who have benefited so much from Addie & Ellie's unpaid assistance, will help Addie & Ellie when they start pumping out babies?

Hopefully they will think twice and plan the number of children before pumping them out every year.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, zenme said:

Hopefully they will think twice and plan the number of children before pumping them out every year.

Maybe Allie will be considered old enough. She is getting cleaning and childcare Experience daily. And then the next one. And so it goes 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
17 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Maybe Allie will be considered old enough. She is getting cleaning and childcare Experience daily. And then the next one. And so it goes 

That's what I was thinking. Allie, Kaci and Brooklyn will be making the rounds.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5
5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I wonder how much the older sisters, who have benefited so much from Addie & Ellie's unpaid assistance, will help Addie & Ellie when they start pumping out babies?

That's funny. The youngest girls will be SOL. Their idiot mother probably won't even notice, and their sisters will be either completely checked out or too busy with their own spawn. Their only hope is Michael(a) or the Bates males, which is even more ludicrous a concept than them getting help from Kelly or Alyssa or Carlin. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Heathen said:

That's funny. The youngest girls will be SOL. Their idiot mother probably won't even notice, and their sisters will be either completely checked out or too busy with their own spawn. Their only hope is Michael(a) or the Bates males, which is even more ludicrous a concept than them getting help from Kelly or Alyssa or Carlin. 

See above - @GeeGolly and I have speculated the next crop of sister moms will be old enough.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
51 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

See above - @GeeGolly and I have speculated the next crop of sister moms will be old enough.

You're assuming they won't still be sister-momming their own siblings in five or seven years, when the original younger sisters start reproducing. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, Heathen said:

You're assuming they won't still be sister-momming their own siblings in five or seven years, when the original younger sisters start reproducing. 

Well, yes, possible. Also possible there is a never ending crop of girls to the rescue!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have noticed that Rhett is not as photogenic as his sisters were at that age. Also noticed Alyssa does not post nearly as much as she did when the girls were little. I am wondering if the excitement over finally having a boy has been short lived and the reality of having five kids has sunk in.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I have noticed that Rhett is not as photogenic as his sisters were at that age. Also noticed Alyssa does not post nearly as much as she did when the girls were little. I am wondering if the excitement over finally having a boy has been short lived and the reality of having five kids has sunk in.

I wonder how many times he's pissed in her face. Sorry not sorry, Alyssa. 

• Sad 1
  • LOL 14
(edited)

Lol, have you guys seen Alyssa's latest video? They are doing some serious image rehab for John. 

It starts with the usual nonsense. It's right before July 4th weekend. Alyssa is complaining. They're so busy, it's chaos, she's trying to pack for the trip to the farm, yadda, yadda. Isaiah is flying down to help make the drive to South Carolina. A bunch of talk about VBS and how it's sooooo tiring, which I fast forwarded through, because who gives a shit.

Anyways, the good stuff starts at the 11:00 minute mark. Alyssa goes out with a friend for breakfast and shopping. She comes home, shows her haul, then mentions how John took all the kids to a friend's house to swim, fed Rhett and put him down for a nap. She refers to him as "Super Dad" and then says he's been calling himself that all day. Forgive me, because I don't have children, but isn't rounding up the crew and going places just a normal part of life? Do the Websters ever leave their house as a unit for anything besides church? 

The sales pitch for John Webster, Super Dad, doesn't end there. The last two minutes features Alyssa gushing because John "surprised" her and changed the oil on her SUV. She hypes him up some more, saying how awesome he is for picking Isaiah up at the airport so she can get all the kids bathed, dressed and ready for bed. Lol, I guess Alyssa isn't bright enough to realize she isn't getting the better end of that deal....

Bless their hearts, though. In their carefully curated attempt to make themselves look better, they unironically make themselves look worse. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10

I sent my children to ONE WEEK of Vacation Bible School at our church every summer that they qualified for it. VBS is only for one week in the summer. For heaven's sake, it's only one week; usually starts at 9:00 until noon. It's not such a big deal to ready your children for it. Alyssa and John did not have to volunteer to be there. The girls absolutely loved it. It goes to show you just how much they would benefit from going to a real school, with other children and make friends. If their mother didn't waste so much money on herself; perhaps they could afford to send their children to a Christian school after all. I only see what they show in the videos and I already can see so much wasted money. I, myself, all alone, have driven from Central Florida, way past South Carolina. Why can't Alyssa drive herself and the children there? Why did she need her brother to help her do it? None of these Bates daughters really have any guts.

• Like 13
18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Isaiah is flying down to help make the drive to South Carolina.

Why do they need help driving there? And who pays for his flight? 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

Why do they need help driving there? And who pays for his flight? 

Was John at the farm for July 4th? IIRC John usually stays in Florida in the summer since that’s the busiest time of the year for AC companies. So a manly man is needed to drive Alyssa and the 5 kids. Was Ellie or Addie in Florida too or were they at some other sister’s house? Alyssa has sent her younger siblings plane tickets in the past, she’s probably online constantly searching for cheap fares from Knoxville to Orlando, lol.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Was John at the farm for July 4th? IIRC John usually stays in Florida in the summer since that’s the busiest time of the year for AC companies. So a manly man is needed to drive Alyssa and the 5 kids. Was Ellie or Addie in Florida too or were they at some other sister’s house? Alyssa has sent her younger siblings plane tickets in the past, she’s probably online constantly searching for cheap fares from Knoxville to Orlando, lol.

John wasn't in any of the family pictures taken at the farm. 

I know that Ellie drove down with someone, I think Josie. I'm sure Addee was there as well. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Verb tenses. Oops.
  • Like 3

Personally, I wouldn't drive much over an hour if I was alone with 5 kids under 10, including an infant. Actually just thinking about it makes me shudder.

Mom, she's looking at me! Mom the baby spit up AND pooped. Mom, I have to pee. Mom, are we there yet? Mom, I spilled my water. Mom, she's still looking at me.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11

Alyssa said she was worried about juggling Rhett's feedings and the other kids during stops. In her defense, I can understand wanting an extra pair of hands. If I'm not mistaken, Spirit flies from Knoxville to Orlando, so it's pretty easy to score a cheap ticket. It's a crappy airline, but the flight is short, so it's doable. John did not make the trip to the farm. I imagine his family's HVAC business wanted all hands on deck. Tradespeople charge exorbitant fees to come out on weekends and holidays, especially during summer. Lots of money to be made. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

A child counts as a “manly man?” 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Alyssa said she was worried about juggling Rhett's feedings and the other kids during stops. In her defense, I can understand wanting an extra pair of hands. If I'm not mistaken, Spirit flies from Knoxville to Orlando, so it's pretty easy to score a cheap ticket. It's a crappy airline, but the flight is short, so it's doable. John did not make the trip to the farm. I imagine his family's HVAC business wanted all hands on deck. Tradespeople charge exorbitant fees to come out on weekends and holidays, especially during summer. Lots of money to be made. 

I agree, it's about a 9 hour drive, presuming all goes well.  That would be very tough to do with 5 kids under 8.  Doing it with a young baby that is still breastfeeding every few hours during the day would test almost anyone's sanity.

Of course, it is actually possible to simply forego the larger family gathering and simply admit it is not a good time for long car trips with the kids and visit the grandparents in the fall once John's business slows.  It's not like the kids are in school, they could go anytime.

I'm pretty sure that this is what most of us do when the timing just isn't right for a big trip.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
7 hours ago, AstridM said:

A child counts as a “manly man?” 😆

Isiah is a teenage boy so in the Fundie world he counts as a manly man. I assume he did at least some of the driving too.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2023 at 8:05 AM, floridamom said:

I sent my children to ONE WEEK of Vacation Bible School at our church every summer that they qualified for it. VBS is only for one week in the summer. For heaven's sake, it's only one week; usually starts at 9:00 until noon. It's not such a big deal to ready your children for it. Alyssa and John did not have to volunteer to be there. The girls absolutely loved it. It goes to show you just how much they would benefit from going to a real school, with other children and make friends. If their mother didn't waste so much money on herself; perhaps they could afford to send their children to a Christian school after all. I only see what they show in the videos and I already can see so much wasted money. I, myself, all alone, have driven from Central Florida, way past South Carolina. Why can't Alyssa drive herself and the children there? Why did she need her brother to help her do it? None of these Bates daughters really have any guts.

One of my friends homeschools her kids.. and she's going to Co-opt for the 2023-2024 for her grade school and middle school kids.  The Co-opt is 1 day a week where they will be studying Math, Science, and Literature.. and it's going to be taught by someone else in a class full of other kids their age.  

I bet Alyssa/John could look into doing that for the school age children where 1 day a week the kids could have a different person teach the harder subjects and it be like a classroom.  I'm sure FL has that.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

One of my friends homeschools her kids.. and she's going to Co-opt for the 2023-2024 for her grade school and middle school kids.  The Co-opt is 1 day a week where they will be studying Math, Science, and Literature.. and it's going to be taught by someone else in a class full of other kids their age.  

I bet Alyssa/John could look into doing that for the school age children where 1 day a week the kids could have a different person teach the harder subjects and it be like a classroom.  I'm sure FL has that.

They do a co-op, but I don't think they've ever disclosed what subject (s) they are being taught.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 7/9/2023 at 5:34 PM, Notabug said:

I agree, it's about a 9 hour drive, presuming all goes well.  That would be very tough to do with 5 kids under 8.  Doing it with a young baby that is still breastfeeding every few hours during the day would test almost anyone's sanity.

Of course, it is actually possible to simply forego the larger family gathering and simply admit it is not a good time for long car trips with the kids and visit the grandparents in the fall once John's business slows.  It's not like the kids are in school, they could go anytime.

I'm pretty sure that this is what most of us do when the timing just isn't right for a big trip.

Not defending her...but wasn't the gathering at Papa Bill and Mama June's?

If so, I can understand why she would want to go since she's close to both and they're older so maybe she wants to see them in case it's the last 4th of July celebration with both of them alive.

• Like 3

Far be it for me to defend Alyssa but she seems like one of the ones genuinely close with Bill and Jane, not one of the ones who goes just to get the perfect for IG shots of sitting on the porch swing with them or goes just bc it’s party party. I’m guessing she’s not turning down any time with them now. In Trace’s video Jane says that Bill doesn’t know who he is anymore. So I can see Alyssa feeling like the chances to sit down and actually chat with her grandfather are slipping away - he could be in his current state for a long time or he could decline further even in a few months. Maybe she simply didn’t want to wait on John - I mean the HVAC business in Fla doesn’t slow until about Oct - maybe 3 months was too much for her.

• Like 6

Alyssa needs to quit playing with her eyebrows. Sometimes she overdoes them. Her brows are heavy, thick and dark; looking awful on her. In this video, there was a part that she didn't have any make up on. Her natural brows looked so good...also her freckles did too. She looked younger and just more fresh and real. Why do some of the Bates daughters think they need a pound of make up on their faces to look good? I hope she quite "enhancing" her brows. It makes her look like one of the Angry Birds.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

I was surprised that The Bates had a one off special on TLC before their brief show on the channel.

Not only that, but Alyssa was featured a lot more on it than she ever was on either show.  17 year old Alyssa is so different than the Alyssa.we see now.  She was warm, was into photography, went hunting with her dad for her birthday, and was the only one to know the gender of baby 19.

Marriage, living in a different state, and married to someone of.a somewhat higher income really changes a person.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Alyssa posted a new video. It's a sales pitch for Hello Fresh disguised as a homeschool routine video, and oof, the comments are not good. For those who don't watch her channel, last week Allie said she doesn't enjoy homeschooling. Based on the way she said it, you got the sense it was a recurring feeling rather than a kid having an off day. So of course, Alyssa is in damage control mode, showing a happy, harmonious bunch showing off their workbooks and schedules and loving it!!!!!

Anyways, people are calling her out, saying it's sad the girls can't go to regular school and that Allie's wishes aren't being acknowledged. I'm curious to see if Alyssa will let the comments stand or if she'll start deleting. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Alyssa posted a new video. It's a sales pitch for Hello Fresh disguised as a homeschool routine video, and oof, the comments are not good. For those who don't watch her channel, last week Allie said she doesn't enjoy homeschooling. Based on the way she said it, you got the sense it was a recurring feeling rather than a kid having an off day. So of course, Alyssa is in damage control mode, showing a happy, harmonious bunch showing off their workbooks and schedules and loving it!!!!!

Anyways, people are calling her out, saying it's sad the girls can't go to regular school and that Allie's wishes aren't being acknowledged. I'm curious to see if Alyssa will let the comments stand or if she'll start deleting. 

One thing for sure, none of those girls will be in any school but the homeschool. It will be interesting to see if Alyssa can get 5 kids ready one day a week for co-op.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I can't hate her for the Hello Fresh sales pitch...most content creators use this or the Coldest Water bottle in videos. 

I will give her credit that she did make an effort with the Hello Fresh content..and she did well with it.

Homeschooling isn't a bad thing..and in some cases, might be better than public school.  Only concern I would have is the socializing factor..and not experiencing different teachers with different ways of teaching.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The kids do a co-op a day or two each week. So they do get exposure to someone actually teaching and not parking them in front of a screen for several hours a day. 

John once said that they homeschool because each kid has different learning needs and schools don’t provide that b/c they’re teaching a lot of kids. But to me, co-op w/a teacher teaching or a video (they once showed one that was a teacher teaching in front of a class of kids while Allie just watched the vid) are the same as that. But I agree with you—at least co-op is something. 

• Like 2
On 8/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, BitterApple said:

Why would Alyssa let a comment like this be in the video she posted without editing it out?

• Like 2
On 8/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, BitterApple said:

For those who don't watch her channel, last week Allie said she doesn't enjoy homeschooling. Based on the way she said it, you got the sense it was a recurring feeling rather than a kid having an off day. So of course, Alyssa is in damage control mode, showing a happy, harmonious bunch showing off their workbooks and schedules and loving it!!!!!

So, just thinking back to when my nephew was Allie's age, he would also say he didn't enjoy the private Christian school he attended.  However, he wasn't making some nuanced distinction between Christian private school and other schooling options;  he just meant that he doesn't enjoy school generally.

But, assuming for the sake of argument that Allie actually does have a gripe(s) specific to homeschool only, Allie's 8.  And 8 year olds don't get to run their own lives because - thank God - that's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works. 

P.S. I think home schooling almost always provides children with a sub-standard education, significantly restricting their options re: higher education / career, and has the potential to restrict their socialization.  So, absolutely not advocating for home schooling.  Just pointing out that the inmates shouldn't be running the asylum IMHO.

• Sad 4
  • Applause 3
15 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

John once said that they homeschool because each kid has different learning needs and schools don’t provide that b/c they’re teaching a lot of kids. 

I'm so tired of people who have never darkened the door of a public school pontificating about what teachers do and don't do.  I have several friends who are teachers and they work their butts off to ensure that every kid in their class gets what they need.  It's an extremely difficult job, but no teacher I know thinks that a one size fits all approach is good for students.  So, John, if you are reading here, go spend some time in a real public school volunteering and see what teachers actually do before you shoot off you mouth.

• Like 6
  • Applause 14
  • Love 2

Pretty sure the Webster kids are homeschooled to appease John’s dad, who is a big advocate of homeschooling, even though he has a degree in electrical engineering from Georgia Tech. 🙄 Gotta love these guys who got an education and then turn around and deny their kids the same opportunity.

I thought Florida schools were “safe” for fundie types now. I feel so bad for those poor girls who will be lucky if they will even have an equivalent to their mother’s abysmal education. Of course they don’t need much if they are just going to get married at 18-19 and start pumping out babies. I guess golden boy will go into the family business.

• Like 3
  • Sad 8
20 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

So, just thinking back to when my nephew was Allie's age, he would also say he didn't enjoy the private Christian school he attended.  However, he wasn't making some nuanced distinction between Christian private school and other schooling options;  he just meant that he doesn't enjoy school generally.

But, assuming for the sake of argument that Allie actually does have a gripe(s) specific to homeschool only, Allie's 8.  And 8 year olds don't get to run their own lives because - thank God - that's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works. 

P.S. I think home schooling almost always provides children with a sub-standard education, significantly restricting their options re: higher education / career, and has the potential to restrict their socialization.  So, absolutely not advocating for home schooling.  Just pointing out that the inmates shouldn't be running the asylum IMHO.

I had a few relatives that were homeschooled..and were able to go to fairly good colleges.  It all depends on the circurlum that the parent chooses for their kids, how much skill the parent has in teaching, and if they have a good co-op.

I had a roommate that was a public school high  school teacher and he taught honors English...and he would vent to me that he wasn't allowed to fail a student because of no child left behind..or so he said.

I think public school and homeschool both have pluses and minuses.

We'll see as Alyssa's girl get older how homeschool is affecting them.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think Allie is a very bright little girl and she would do well in public school. I bet she enjoys the co-op lessons and is most likely bored and not challenged sitting in front of a computer every day.That’s how I interpret her comment about not liking homeschool.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I think Allie is a very bright little girl and she would do well in public school. I bet she enjoys the co-op lessons and is most likely bored and not challenged sitting in front of a computer every day.That’s how I interpret her comment about not liking homeschool.

This is why John is a lying liar. The Webster family school curriculum does not cater to the needs or interests of the individual child. They are all plopped in front of a screen or a workbook. No interaction with each other, classmates or even their own mother, the alleged teacher. Based on Alyssa’s post with the daily schedule it seemed like all she did was correct paperwork. Maybe she reads to them, idk, maybe. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

who is a big advocate of homeschooling, even though he has a degree in electrical engineering from Georgia Tech.

Homeschooling does not mean you can't go to Ga. Tech.

Public school doesn't mean you're going to get in to Ga. Tech either.

I know people like to snark on the Bates here, but the level of ignorance about home schooling and bias towards public schools is frustrating to read. As a parent of a grown and successful child that was home schooled I've seen bad home schooling and a I've seen really successful home schooling. Growing up as an Army brat, I am the product of many public school systems across the county and a couple of DOD schools, and I've seen some good schools and some really bad public schools.

It's anecdotal, but of four or five girls my daughter grew up with that wanted to be doctors or vets, the only two that made it (one to medical school and the other vet school)  were home schooled. The public schooled kids hit college math and biology courses and were out for the count.

12 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I had a roommate that was a public school high  school teacher and he taught honors English...and he would vent to me that he wasn't allowed to fail a student because of no child left behind..or so he said.

I have numerous friends that teach in public schools, mostly at the elementary level, and they refer to the system as "an age based promotion system"  in which ability or merit plays no part.  From the one 9 week break we took from home schooling in the fourth grade I'd have to agree.

• Applause 4
1 hour ago, curbcrusher said:

Homeschooling does not mean you can't go to Ga. Tech.

Public school doesn't mean you're going to get in to Ga. Tech either.

I know people like to snark on the Bates here, but the level of ignorance about home schooling and bias towards public schools is frustrating to read. As a parent of a grown and successful child that was home schooled I've seen bad home schooling and a I've seen really successful home schooling. Growing up as an Army brat, I am the product of many public school systems across the county and a couple of DOD schools, and I've seen some good schools and some really bad public schools.

It's anecdotal, but of four or five girls my daughter grew up with that wanted to be doctors or vets, the only two that made it (one to medical school and the other vet school)  were home schooled. The public schooled kids hit college math and biology courses and were out for the count.

I have numerous friends that teach in public schools, mostly at the elementary level, and they refer to the system as "an age based promotion system"  in which ability or merit plays no part.  From the one 9 week break we took from home schooling in the fourth grade I'd have to agree.

Sorry, I can see where my post came off as dismissive of homeschooling.  Of course homeschooling can deliver excellent results and those kids can go on to university and grad school. And yes, public school can be less than ideal.  If you read old posts you will see that most posters here have no issue with homeschooling done properly. At the same time , the way the Bates and Websters approach it  is not a recipe for success.
Alyssa plunks her kids in front of a computer and marks the papers. Her curriculum is heavily Bible based and not so great on science. Georgia Tech is not going to care if you can recite Bible verses. They do expect you to have a grasp of physics and chemistry.

FWIW my kids went to public school in a state that is consistently in the bottom 5 in education rankings. One is a medical doctor and another has a PhD in biomedical engineering. Motivated kids will succeed even if they are in less than stellar school districts, just as homeschool kids can excel. But if they have a limited curriculum and and a mother/teacher who does the bare minimum they would have a lot of catching up to do if they had any hopes of a university or graduate degree.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 13
  • Applause 4

I think what we see with Fundies and education is a different set of goals. Most Fundies raise their girls to be moms and their boys to be self-employed, and they educate their kids as such. Most non-Fundy homeschoolers have the same goals as public school kids - learning a trade or going on to college - so with different goals the homeschool education looks different.

• Like 7

When I was in high school, I knew two people that were homeschooled...but went to public school for their Spanish class, gym class, and their music class (one was in Band, the other in chorus).

I think they had the best of both worlds getting to experience a classroom structure, and also get a more homeschooled experience.

The only Bates I could see having a Prayer of providing a decent homeschool experience would either be Josie (who has a sister in law helping with PK) and Tori..who has some sort of degree in elementary education from Clown College.

It sounds like Alyssa has a set up just like most people did during the pandemic...but I do hope she has 1 on 1 time with each of her girls to expand on the lessons they are learning from the computer/videos.  I went to public school..but my mom was great at English and would make up practice tests to make sure I understood the material.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That was one interesting thing about the pandemic was seeing how parents' and kids did in a home schooling environment. Majority of both did not do well. 

I think what happened during the pandemic was school at home vs home schooling. I know our local districts here in Central Florida simply had the kids log in on a laptop and watch the teacher .

Now, that is pretty much what the Webster's are doing (and I assume most of the other siblings). They get the ABECCA (?? spelling) DVD's that have basically filmed the teacher in front of a classroom and make the kids sit there and watch. There's really no big difference between that and sending your kid to a school, since they develop not at their pace, but at the pace of the class on the DVD. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That was one interesting thing about the pandemic was seeing how parents' and kids did in a home schooling environment. Majority of both did not do well. 

That is true.

The difference is home school families choose that option and one would think maybe they are committed to it, have a chosen curriculum, a schedule,  a parent or someone to assist as needed, have the necessary space and supplies on hand. Some families do that well, some don't.

Pandemic home school/virtual school was sudden. Leaving both families and educators with very little warning or planning time, so it was a mixed bag of what students received as far as resources, lesson plans, etc.

Most of the families involved never thought of, or intended to, home school. Many lacked work space for multiple students, wifi capacity for multiple students, had kids on different time schedules set up by their school, had infants and toddlers to care for as well, etc. Many families had adults also sorting how to work from home at the same time. All unexpectedly dropped on them with little warning.

So yes many parents and students did not do well with pandemic home school because they never wanted that or expect to be in the position of home schooling.

• Like 10