Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

Well A&J are certainly raising those kids right per fundie standards. Alyssa posted a video of the kids playing - looks like she’s in the doorway and the kids didn’t notice. Allie acting as the officiant as she has the other two hold hands and take wedding vows - taking Travis as her wedded wife (lol Trav’s manhood is being threatened by the kids); promising to obey and serve god; and promising to have a cute baby. 🙄

I realize kids that age play wedding + weddings have been the excitement in that family for the last 2 mos. But given who they are - gross. You know John will be internally SO proud - his girls 100% get that they MUST marry and have kids even at ages 3-6. None of his girls will want to be spinsters or career professionals.

IDK guess I’d feel differently about it if they played wedding this afternoon but excitedly talked about playing for the WNBA or building tall buildings this evening and the parents encouraged all of those dreams. Don’t see that happening in that house as J doesn’t allow Allie to take ballet nor allow the 2nd kid in soccer or softball even though she’s athletic. Feel bad for kid #2 who has said she’d want to be a dentist — I get it she’s 5 and probably changes her mind weekly. But sad that it’s not even a possibility and all A&J will ensure she becomes is a wife + mommy; I mean if you’re born w a vag, what other dreams could you ever have??

Edited by cereality
  • Love 1

You know what's crazy, is Alyssa had a story of Allie doing a science experiment and referred to her as "my little science major," so I wonder if she's open to them doing mainstream stuff and it's John who says no? Her enthusiasm seemed genuine when she talked about wanting to get the girls into sports and dance, while John sat there, staring at his phone. Maybe I'm projecting, but he gives me vibes that he's not investing in his daughters any more than what's necessary. They'll all be married by 19, so why bother? 

On 12/17/2021 at 1:37 AM, BitterApple said:

You know what's crazy, is Alyssa had a story of Allie doing a science experiment and referred to her as "my little science major," so I wonder if she's open to them doing mainstream stuff and it's John who says no? Her enthusiasm seemed genuine when she talked about wanting to get the girls into sports and dance, while John sat there, staring at his phone. Maybe I'm projecting, but he gives me vibes that he's not investing in his daughters any more than what's necessary. They'll all be married by 19, so why bother? 

I tend to agree with this. Alyssa seems almost proud of Allie when she talks about school?? Like when she was doing that filter experiment - she like most 6 year olds was like it isn't working, oh well - and Alyssa was the one who was like no it will work, don't stop. And she also posted a video with Allie reading to her sisters about plants and photosynthesis and how they take in carbon dioxide and make oxygen and Alyssa was the one saying "that's so cool." I almost wondered if this is the first time ALYSSA is learning this stuff "formally" - beyond whatever mom told her that plants are good so she thinks it's a positive that her six year old knows things that Alyssa is now learning at 27. Kind of the way Jill Duggar is benefiting from her kid going to public elementary school and now they read all those books she was denied as a kid - Boxcar Children; Hardy Boys; Nancy Drew etc.

I do think Alyssa - wanting to be more mainstream and seeing sisters like Carlin being more mainstream bc she married Evan whose nieces take ballet etc. but Evan's family is still Godly - is open to and really wants her kids to experience things that she never did -- whether that's ballet or softball or soccer or science. I'm not saying she'd be ok with her kid going to med school and being in school and training until age 35 and not marrying. But I think she is open to her kids going to Christian school (and let's be real that'd allow her 6 more hrs/day of navel gazing); participating in sports or dance; having friends from school; going to a college like the one that Bobby and Kelton went to etc. She never had these things and when she had a chance to have some of them - like Crown College - she did one semester - if that - while not even really making too many college friends or engaging in any life there bc she was 1000% focused on getting a ring from John ASAP and wasn't willing to delay that in any way. I mean even her sisters - while not getting a great education - all completed Crown; Tori ended up "delaying" marriage a bit to finish school; Erin completed after marriage; and some like Tori, Carlin, and Josie were really into hanging out at school, making friends there etc.. In her heart of hearts Alyssa may regret that she chased the ring SO HARD instead of just taking an extra 18-24 months for herself but it's what she thought she HAD TO do as a woman - get married and make a baby yesterday.

More and more John strikes me as a guy who lives life out of obligation. He has all these girls - he's obligated to feed and clothe them, teach them the Bible, and make them Godly housewives who are off his payroll by ages 18-22 so he can be done with this responsibility by his mid 50s. In his mind, soccer, softball, ballet, or science don't help those causes. The only thing that helps those causes cooking to develop wife skills; take care of younger sisters to develop mommy skills; church and honestly what else do girls need? He could 100% care less if a season of soccer or once a week ballet lessons would make the kid happy; in his mind life isn't about happy and these girls have millions of blessings from God and their parents and should be grateful. If there was a son - he'd likely have him starting to help with manual labor tasks to prep him for the HVAC business bc again what other dreams could a son have besides the same family business that dad and uncles are in? Though for a boy he'd at least allow sports bc raising a boy = making him manly and how does that happen if he can't throw a football??

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5

Evidently they took the girls strawberry picking yesterday.  The girls and Alyssa were dressed in white dresses with dress shoes.  I am guessing they were filming a new opening sequence for their YouTube channel.  Little kids and strawberries and white clothes are a very BAD combination. 
The last part of her stories showed her rinsing the strawberries to “put them away”. You should only clean berries just before you eat or cook with them.  Otherwise they will get moldy fast.

• Love 6
On 12/29/2021 at 12:16 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

Interesting. That's never stopped her before. 

Really! She posted all throughout the last two weddings and showers and travels. How much busier can she get than that? I think either covid, or she's gearing up for a pregnancy announcement. 

The only ones of all the Bates who seem to be posting at their normal rate is Kelly and Lawson.

• Love 2

Link to the video:

https://youtu.be/svc7GvE83WI

They have a "fever" (wink, wink). Alyssa's comment: "Apparently there's sickness going around. Who would've guessed?." Yeah, no shit Sherlock. 

John was sick Christmas Day, so Alyssa took herself and the girls to his family's. Real smart. Spread those covid germs! Although I assume Taliban Dan is in the hoax camp.

Thankfully six year-old Allie is running the household, so it's all good. 🙄

• Love 9

While Alyssa was trying to be cute about it - "there's a sickness going around who knew," John pretty much said it directly - we had what everyone has.

Assuming they made the video yesterday/today, it's day 6-7 and they still look ROUGH. I'm sorry they're sick as I am for everyone who has had to deal with this. Nearly two years into a pandemic, we have a variant that is going to be really hard to avoid even with vax and masks. Not to get political as I think views here vary too but we've never seen them in masks ever; they freely indoor dine all the time with Alyssa sitting in coffee shops or taking the girls to meet John for lunch a restaurants nearly daily lately bc they aren't doing school. And I'd be shocked if they were vaccinated given what we know of Congressman Dan's politics. I think they've probably been very lucky thus far to avoid it; seems like a ton of her family got it from June-Dec 2020 and they managed to avoid it then.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 7

I mean really, they can't say covid out loud? They sound like fools.

And wow, no sweet friends from church and the neighborhood dropping of food, medicine and treats for the girls? Alyssa says first John got it, the next day she and Maci did, then the rest of the girls did. Then after John volunteered that the 6 year is holding down the fort, Alyssa lies and says Allie was the only one who didn't get it.

And yes, this new Omicron variant is highly contagious, so even the most careful may end up getting covid, but the Websters have not been careful. IMO, its folks just like this family that have us entering 2022, like its 2020.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I mean really, they can't say covid out loud? They sound like fools.

And wow, no sweet friends from church and the neighborhood dropping of food, medicine and treats for the girls? Alyssa says first John got it, the next day she and Maci did, then the rest of the girls did. Then after John volunteered that the 6 year is holding down the fort, Alyssa lies and says Allie was the only one who didn't get it.

And yes, this new Omicron variant is highly contagious, so even the most careful may end up getting covid, but the Websters have not been careful. IMO, its folks just like this family that have us entering 2022, like its 2020.

I think if they actually say Covid it affects something on YouTube. I have heard other YouTubers refer to the virus in a cryptic way, saying they can’t use the word Covid or coronavirus. Not an influencer myself, so not sure if it’s because the Webster’s are classified as a family channel or what, but that could be why they dance around the actual word. Plus they’re lying liars.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Idiots.  And I don’t care how sick you may feel you do not make your 6 year old responsible for running the house. 
My husband and I (fully vaccinated and boosted) spent Christmas at our daughter’s place.  My oldest son, his pregnant wife and 2 daughters drove 2 hours to spend Christmas Day with us.  Our youngest son was supposed to join us but he was notified that he could have been exposed through work so he stayed home.  It was not the desired outcome, but it was the responsible thing to do.  
I noticed that Josie has also been quiet for a few days.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they got sick too.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

I think if they actually say Covid it affects something on YouTube. I have heard other YouTubers refer to the virus in a cryptic way, saying they can’t use the word Covid or coronavirus. Not an influencer myself, so not sure if it’s because the Webster’s are classified as a family channel or what, but that could be why they dance around the actual word. Plus they’re lying liars.

Youtube demonitizes sensitive topics so that people aren't making money discussing things like school shootings.  Youtube has made COVID a sensitive topic so videos mentioning it are at risk for losing their ads. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Youtube demonitizes sensitive topics so that people aren't making money discussing things like school shootings.  Youtube has made COVID a sensitive topic so videos mentioning it are at risk for losing their ads. 

Figures it’s a money issue. I didn’t watch the whole Webster family post but it’s not surprising Allie was taking care of things even though she’s only 6. I’m sure Alyssa expected nothing less.

• Love 5

Funny though when Carlin had it last year the title of the video  was “ We tested positive for COVID!!”

I checked and it is still up on YouTube. 
Maybe earlier on they weren’t so picky about certain words?

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 1/1/2022 at 7:25 AM, 3 is enough said:

Idiots.  And I don’t care how sick you may feel you do not make your 6 year old responsible for running the house. 
My husband and I (fully vaccinated and boosted) spent Christmas at our daughter’s place.  My oldest son, his pregnant wife and 2 daughters drove 2 hours to spend Christmas Day with us.  Our youngest son was supposed to join us but he was notified that he could have been exposed through work so he stayed home.  It was not the desired outcome, but it was the responsible thing to do.  
I noticed that Josie has also been quiet for a few days.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they got sick too.

be careful if you are Vaxxed...does not mean you are safe...my whole vaxxed family gave it to each other over christmas... I come from a HUGE catholic family...so its up to 30 people with it as of now...the only people that are not vaxxed is one sister and her husband...they already had covid in the spring..they as of now do not have it...so yeah they thought they were safe...and they are really sick with my sister now hospitalized...I was not there - I live on the other side of the country...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am well aware that even vaccinated and boosted people are at risk to get Omicron, but chances are if you get a breakthrough case it will be mild or even asymptomatic.  But I would be willing to bet that the Websters are NOT vaccinated, so their symptoms were worse.  They were lucky they did not end up in the hospital.  

• Love 8

So Addie and Ellie are leaving Katie and Travis's house today and flying down to Florida to spend a week with Alyssa. When I was their age I was in high school. Do these girls not go to school even home school? I wonder if Kelly and Gil have decided that at 14 and 15 they are finished with school. In this day and age this is so sad. 

1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

So Addie and Ellie are leaving Katie and Travis's house today and flying down to Florida to spend a week with Alyssa. When I was their age I was in high school. Do these girls not go to school even home school? I wonder if Kelly and Gil have decided that at 14 and 15 they are finished with school. In this day and age this is so sad. 

Most public school kids have been out for a couple of weeks. Homeschoolers can make their own schedules so they make take off more time now and less in the summer. Also, if they are doing video lessons they can do those wherever they have internet access. I’d be more worried that they are going to Alyssa’s when everyone at her house is sick.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

Most public school kids have been out for a couple of weeks. Homeschoolers can make their own schedules so they make take off more time now and less in the summer. Also, if they are doing video lessons they can do those wherever they have internet access. I’d be more worried that they are going to Alyssa’s when everyone at her house is sick.

It really doesn’t seem like Addee and Ellie ever do homeschooling, they are always babysitting somewhere. They are in training to be SAHM’s and I think KJ has given up on homeschooling the last few kids. 

• Love 1

They spent most of December on Katie's wedding. Have we ever seen a video of them doing school work? But I'll bet we'll see them getting coffee and having their nails done. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

They spent most of December on Katie's wedding. Have we ever seen a video of them doing school work? But I'll bet we'll see them getting coffee and having their nas done. 

They did get their nails done with Katie. 

• LOL 2

I think Addee and Ellie are done with Bates school. They now have to focus on how to take care of a home and children.  At least with them being in Florida, Allie will get a break.  
Now this being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see posts with the younger Bates kids sitting at the dining room table "going to class."  

• Love 5

What I find so disturbing with the way they have raised their passel of kids is that they have denied them what both Kelly and Gil  had growing up. That is regular schooling and a college education. Oh I know they pushed Clown College but I seriously doubt that equates to the education that the parents received. Now it looks like they don't even pay lip service for home schooling for the 14 and 15 year old girls.  

Here's an idea for future BUB shows. Instead of the entire season revolving around courting, engagement, wedding and pregnancy, why not show how Kelly handles school work and educational field trips with the few remaining kids at home. Does anyone really think that these kids study world history, English literature, chemistry, foreign languages, and math that involves more than basic general math all while sitting at the dining room table? All of the subjects that those of us who actually went to high school studied.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

At least with them being in Florida, Allie will get a break.  

This is so sad but true. On their video A&J said they were surviving on Doordash, gushing about Allie picking up the deliveries and bringing the food upstairs. I guess Allie also fed her sisters if her parents were too weak (or lazy) to leave their room.  Poor kid.

It is also possible that Addie and Callie have blown through the "sit in front of a computer screen" homeschool curriculum and are caught up for the year, although my gut tells me Kelly is just done with the whole homeschool thing.

Alyssa has shown that her girls do their schoolwork in the morning and then they are done for the day by noon.  And Allie started first grade at 5, so if she continues she will "graduate" early. Allie seems very bright.  I bet she would do really well in a traditional school setting.  What a waste.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 13

During remote learning last year, my granddaughter was able to do the remote kindie program in less than 90 minutes a day. Usually she took less than an hour.  A reasonably bright child can get through the online program in early elementary without spending six hours a day.  I'm sure granddaughter would be in third grade work by now if her school had remained remote and they had lifted the gatekeeper that held to the level her teacher assigned.  My daughter made her stay in "school" off and on for about three hours a day, but most of it was spent free reading ,on educational games her teacher selected, and 30 to 60 minutes of zoom with the classroom.  The girls could easily have worked ahead or be spending some time every day on their online work.  

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

12 hours ago, Absolom said:

During remote learning last year, my granddaughter was able to do the remote kindie program in less than 90 minutes a day. Usually she took less than an hour.  A reasonably bright child can get through the online program in early elementary without spending six hours a day.  I'm sure granddaughter would be in third grade work by now if her school had remained remote and they had lifted the gatekeeper that held to the level her teacher assigned.  My daughter made her stay in "school" off and on for about three hours a day, but most of it was spent free reading ,on educational games her teacher selected, and 30 to 60 minutes of zoom with the classroom.  The girls could easily have worked ahead or be spending some time every day on their online work.  

Somehow I don't think Addie and Ellie have worked ahead studying chemistry, French,  algebra  and world history. Nor do I see them reading literature that most 9th and 10th graders are reading. I have a feeling that they are done with reading and writing lessons. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 5

I don't think it would matter if the Bates kids (of any generation) were in public school--the odds that they'd be on an academically challenging or college-prep course track are very slim, whether they had the aptitude and potential or not. The issue isn't the type of schooling (public, private, homeschool), but the fundie conservative culture they embrace that props religion, adheres to dated gender roles, and undervalues higher education.  Plenty of homeschooled students take chemistry and algebra and foreign languages and AP or honors classes and go on to college and universities. And many states' homeschool laws address things like required days/hours as well as compulsory school age.  Whether it's Addie and Ellie or little Allie, if they up and went to public school tomorrow, they'd likely be taking mostly home economics and general education courses to meet the minimum requirements for graduation because their parents and their churches tell girls that's all they need.  Heck, if they lived in Michigan, where a new law allows schools to use cafeteria workers and bus drivers to fill in as substitute teachers, they might not even be taught by a professional with more education than Kelly. Though in these fundie circles the homeschool curriculum & materials are coming from the fundie homeschool organizations they belong to anyways. Addie and Ellie could be miles away from Kelly and still receive their homeschool instruction.  Whether they do school lessons while in FL or not, the sad reality is that their "field trip" to Alyssa's is basically their internship for what's to come in a few years when they get married and start popping out a litter of kids.  

• Love 1

Nice to see Alyssa has made the switch back from "we're DONE - no more kids, that's it" to "we haven't completely decided" in today's IG. LOL. Shocking. No way she isn't trying for a boy - even moreso now with Carlin and Whit both having boys. Plus Allie's sister mom skills are coming along nicely and given that she'd be closer to 8 before any kid showed up, she'd be plenty able to take care of her 2 to 6 year old sisters and cook and clean more so Alyssa can carry a new kid around like a Gucci bag.

And Addie and Ellie are likely done "school" being 15 and 16 now. I mean isn't that what they said about Jackson around that age - oh he was doing school night and day a year ago so he'd finish early bc he just wanted to be done so he could start working for Chad; and for the boys it actually matters that they know how to measure and do basic math. So yeah for girls that age, they're done. 

Reality is G&K probably WANT Addie and Ellie spending more time with John and Travis' families to see if they can line up husbands for themselves. When they were starting to marry off their girls they were much more nervous about it and thus much more involved in fundie world -- they'd go to all sort of conventions and bigass fundie weddings where there are open invites and appear at other churches etc. to meet fundie families for their girls. That's how Chad, John, Brandon, and even Evan were found. Josie it just worked out that creepy Kelton had had an eye on her since she was in 8th grade and Tori while they don't admit it, I'm positive that was just Kelton introducing his best friend to an available sister. Katie and Trav I have no idea how they met. But now G&K don't do - and don't seem to want to do - those things and are over the fuddy duddy fundie families. They'd rather use their comps from the show for actual fun stuff like ski trips, last minute trips to Fla, Italy, and 1000s of parties. It's possible their kids don't want to do that stuff either now as they likely consider themselves a cut above the rest - and for every one Chad Paine like hottie you could meet at those events, you're taking to 100 others that probably more like single John David Duggars or like Anna Keller's family and these kids just don't have as much in common with anymore. Yet Addie and Ellie need to meet someone . . . .

Sure they'll probably enroll in Crown which ups the chances that they make a "sweet friend" and marry her brother, but in case they don't why not have them go to John and Travis too. Sure they don't socialize a ton when they're with Alyssa and Katie but they do go to church there and could catch someone's eye; plus John has said he has 18ish yr old nephews . . . .

• Useful 4

The pickings in Rocky Top must be slim. Of all the married daughters, only Josie is with a local guy, although Kelton was originally from South Carolina. Evan is from TN, but the Nashville area, so not the next town or county over. Everyone else was long distance. Shipping the girls off to hang with their sisters' well-heeled in-laws isn't an entirely bad strategy. 

I watched Alyssa's stories where she showed Allie's schoolwork, and the kid writes really well for a six year-old. Maybe they're not doing such a shit job with the homefooling after all. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I watched Alyssa's stories where she showed Allie's schoolwork, and the kid writes really well for a six year-old. Maybe they're not doing such a shit job with the homefooling after all. 

I think that if a child is bright and motivated they will do well. I can only imagine how much Allie would thrive in a traditional school environment where she would be more challenged.

• Love 11

I think Alyssa said that the kids school work was graded by a teacher and that they were tested and the tests were sent in to the state. So I hope that means that these kids are getting a better education that what Alyssa and her siblings had. But I agree that a regular school  whether public or private would challenge Allie more than the religious computer curriculum does. 

• Love 7
On 1/8/2022 at 9:38 AM, BitterApple said:

The pickings in Rocky Top must be slim. Of all the married daughters, only Josie is with a local guy.

Right!  How many more fundie families can there be in small town of roughly 2200 people?!  And then any non fundie guys, even if they got in the inner circle, would they really want to put up with that family?  

• Love 2

Per Alyssa’s Instagram stories Zoey fell and fractured her clavicle.  She will need to wear a sling for a few weeks. They had to go to the ER.  Luckily they were able to be seen- I know a lot of ERs are overrun these days.  Maybe they went to a children’s hospital?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That hospital bed wasn't kid sized. Looks like they probably went to the regular ER. Or maybe an Urgent Care if they do x-rays. 

Most urgent care places do x-rays.  That's where we took my foot to see if I needed more specialized care.  They took the x-rays and stabilized it and sent us off to call the orthopedist.  

• Love 2
On 1/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

I remember John taking someone to the urgent care a few months ago, but it was closed and they ended up at the ER. I figure they probably ended up at urgent care as a first choice.

that was lexie

The idea of John taking Lexie out all by herself for one on one time is nice but calling it a date is creepy. The tarting out (love that description) is just too much. Just reinforces the idea that their looks are the most important thing about them. The Webster girls will never have a chance to be anything but a wife and mother.

• Love 9