Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Along the Hills of East Tennessee

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Wow! No one has ever touched this thread. 

I don't want to embarass anyone, but I believe @RebeccatheWriter mentioned she was working on her master's degree and I wanted to wish her good luck. 

Thank you. I actually finished and have "graduated" as of May 2. A little anticlimatic in this age of social distancing, but I have my cap and gown and will take a pic when my diploma arrives. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Thank you. I actually finished and have "graduated" as of May 2. A little anticlimatic in this age of social distancing, but I have my cap and gown and will take a pic when my diploma arrives. 

Congratulations! 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

That's great! Congratulations!

• Love 3

Congratulations @REBECCATHEWRITER! I am so sorry you can't have a "real" graduation ceremony after all your hard work. Graduate degrees are so labor intensive.

As my brother has been saying since March, "Covid is an asshole."

• Love 3
16 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Congratulations!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Congratulations @REBECCATHEWRITER! I am so sorry you can't have a "real" graduation ceremony after all your hard work. Graduate degrees are so labor intensive.

As my brother has been saying since March, "Covid is an asshole."

At least I was able to finish my thesis. One poor girl in our cohort was doing a thesis on communication strategies and tactics around the health issues with vaping. Her entire sample of interview subjects dried up when COVID-19 became more of an issue. She had to switch course fast. I think I would have lost my mind at that point. 

2 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

At least I was able to finish my thesis. One poor girl in our cohort was doing a thesis on communication strategies and tactics around the health issues with vaping. Her entire sample of interview subjects dried up when COVID-19 became more of an issue. She had to switch course fast. I think I would have lost my mind at that point. 

That is awful.  Poor girl. 

My son had his PhD defense at the end of January.  I am so relieved he was able to finish.  Timing is everything I guess.

He never intended to go to his graduation, even though my daughter-in-law and I really wanted to see him get hooded.  But, of course, when he got the official email that the graduation ceremony was cancelled, he said  "Too bad Mother, I would have gone".  Yeah, right. 🙄

• Love 4
On 5/15/2020 at 7:28 PM, 3 is enough said:

That is awful.  Poor girl. 

My son had his PhD defense at the end of January.  I am so relieved he was able to finish.  Timing is everything I guess.

He never intended to go to his graduation, even though my daughter-in-law and I really wanted to see him get hooded.  But, of course, when he got the official email that the graduation ceremony was cancelled, he said  "Too bad Mother, I would have gone".  Yeah, right. 🙄

I had already decided against making the trip to go to graduation. I would have wanted my parents there. My mom just finished chemo after having breast cancer. She couldn't have made the trip. 

That said, it still stung a little to get that email saying too bad, so sad. I at least wanted a good dinner out of it or something. My mother and father are still isolating, as mom's immune system is low and my dad's is wonky because of his own issues. 

Congrats to your son!

• Love 3

@RebeccatheWriter sending positive thoughts for your mom’s recovery.  Some schools are having ceremonies at a later date.  Maybe you can still have a celebration when your mother is in a better place health-wise.

My son was going to grad school in Canada.  He had started a job in San Francisco prior to his defense.  The plan was for his wife and daughters to stay until school ended in June so my older granddaughter could finish the year. He was going back every other weekend to see them.  Then came Covid and everything changed.  Schools were closed, he was working from home, so he brought the family back to stay with us because he was nervous about the border closing. They were with us for a month and then managed to find a rental in the Bay Area.  They still have to get back up to Canada to empty their apartment by July 1. It’s a bit of a mess to be sure.  They were not planning to bring any of their furniture but they still have a lot of belongings ( and a car) to retrieve.

• Love 2

So, update:  My son and his family returned to Canada and emptied their apartment.  Because they are citizens/permanent residents they were allowed to cross the border, with the stipulation that they self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.  They actually got a call from the border agency after a week to make sure they were following the rules (they were).  The border agent asked  to speak to my son, his wife, and their 10 year old, so they really are serious about the quarantine.  This is just one example of how Canada has flattened their curve.

Anyhow, after the quarantine was over they packed up their belongings, disposed of the things they were not taking, and returned to the US. Everyone is a US citizen, so no issues.  Daughter-in-law and the girls flew home, and my son is driving. Detroit to San Francisco is a looong drive. As I write this he is almost across Wyoming, and should get home tomorrow.  I will be relieved to get that news.

• Love 9

I am going to a fundy wedding next fall so I took a look at the Bates online shop.  They did have some really cute (but cheap!) dresses that I could see wearing to the wedding.  However, the prices are so low I can't imagine that they are well made. I wouldn't want something that was going to fall apart before the evening was over!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I am going to a fundy wedding next fall so I took a look at the Bates online shop.  They did have some really cute (but cheap!) dresses that I could see wearing to the wedding.  However, the prices are so low I can't imagine that they are well made. I wouldn't want something that was going to fall apart before the evening was over!

I'd check out NeeSees dresses. They're a little pricier than the Bateses', but similar style in terms of modesty and better quality. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, riverblue22 said:

other than no white (out of respect for the bride), covering the knees, ta-tas, and at least 1/2 sleeve - any other rules for woman's  guest wedding  attire ?

I guess after seeing a slide show of Queen E'lizabeth's style though the years (minus the hat) , sprinkled with a few pictures of Jackie O ( I like coat dresses - as I tend to get cold), I kinda wish I had someplace dressy to go to..  Kate had on a nice conservative dress today - it was black though.

Edited by sATL
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Someone please send me a PM on how many grands there are now. I.m watching the TN vs. GA game and the Bates came to my mind. I don't follow them on social media.  I did hear a few sons, including holdout Lawson got married. Shameful for as much as they love the univ of TN , they aren't allowed to attend.

TIA.

From what I remember-

Zach-2

Erin-3

Alyssa-3

Carlin-1

Tori-2

Wow, you've been gone for a while! 

Now it's

Zach 4

Erin 5

Alyssa 4 (with one on the way)

Carlin 2

Tori 4

Josie 2

Nathan 1

Katie pregnant 

I think that's everyone. 😀

Trace will be expecting soon, and Lawson will be once Tiff raises her body fat %. She lost a TON of weight before she got married and hasn't gained it back. She was very tiny to begin with.

• Useful 1

I guess I should put this here.  Can't remember which one of them is hawking a planner.  And we had a discussion.  Anyway, I use one in addition to the iPhone, iPad and iMac which are synced and also a paper planner because one can never be too careful!  And today one of the organizations we donate to sent me a planner for 2024!!!!!  Yay!!!!

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I guess I should put this here.  Can't remember which one of them is hawking a planner.  And we had a discussion.  Anyway, I use one in addition to the iPhone, iPad and iMac which are synced and also a paper planner because one can never be too careful!  And today one of the organizations we donate to sent me a planner for 2024!!!!!  Yay!!!!

Abbie Duggar is the one shilling the planner. Ironically, she's probably the only Duggar or Bates who actually has use for a planner. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

This is about the accents.  I am from NJ.  Lived there until I was 21, then moved to Brooklyn for about 3 years, and then the military sent us to Georgia.  Spent 2 years there loving the accent, me with my NJ voice.  Then moved to California for 3 years, accents of all kinds in the east bay area.  Then moved to Baton Rouge, where I lived from 1975 to 2015.  Now live in metro Atlanta.  My speech has surely changed - but when I go back to NJ people say "you sound so southern" and people here used to say "you're not from around here, are you?" With everyone moving around so much especially here, there are all kinds of accents, and a lot of them from foreign countries.  Our neighbors are from Nigeria and the grandma doesn't even speak English, but, we have some interesting conversations anyway.  A few years ago I met a woman at the gym and as soon as she said "hello" I said "You're from NJ aren't you?"  Yes, and now we are dear friends and laugh that we are "jersey girls".   Actually old ladies.  

• Like 7

Also about accents. Born in Northern N.J. and moved to England for a year with  my family when in 5th grade. I did not want to go, and I was determined to not speak with a British accent. Refused to say "can't" the way the general populace did. Returned home and all my friends said they loved my British accent. Couldn't believe I had picked it up against my will - then I heard an audio tape.😀

• LOL 9

I left Canada in 1991 and to this day people tell me they can pick out my Canadian accent. I never thought I had an accent but I guess the way I say certain words gives me away. 
I volunteered in my kids’ classrooms when they were in elementary school and some of the little kids would ask me to say “house” and giggle.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I left Canada in 1991 and to this day people tell me they can pick out my Canadian accent. I never thought I had an accent but I guess the way I say certain words gives me away. 
I volunteered in my kids’ classrooms when they were in elementary school and some of the little kids would ask me to say “house” and giggle.

I was just watching some behind the scenes thing from Outlander and they were making fun of the Canadian cast member when he said “about.” 😀

I grew up in Maine but did not have a Downeast accent, and now live in the Mid-Atlantic and don’t have that accent either, but when we first moved down here, it sounded SO southern to me after coming from New England.

• Like 2

I rarely go to the Counting On forum these days because, honestly, I have no interest in the Duggars any more, other than wanting to see the Supreme Court refuse to hear Josh’s case. But it is Sunday afternoon and I’m bored so I had a look. What the heck is going on? Red light? Threads locked? I am so confused…

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I rarely go to the Counting On forum these days because, honestly, I have no interest in the Duggars any more, other than wanting to see the Supreme Court refuse to hear Josh’s case. But it is Sunday afternoon and I’m bored so I had a look. What the heck is going on? Red light? Threads locked? I am so confused…

Yeah...I was wondering about this too...

• Useful 1

I hang out in the Counting On threads. We are confused too. What we know for sure is they say two of the thread titles "don't meet community standards".

Hopefully this forum is not next.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I hang out in the Counting On threads. We are confused too. What we know for sure is they say two of the thread titles "don't meet community standards".

Hopefully this forum is not next.

That's bizarre. None of the thread titles are new. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Heathen said:

It sounds to me like the site has new moderators who are on a power trip. It said the thread titles are discriminatory, which is absurd. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
10 minutes ago, Heathen said:

which threads??? do you know?

3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It sounds to me like the site has new moderators who are on a power trip. It said the thread titles are discriminatory, which is absurd. 

The moderators on that forum have been power-tripping (and playing favorites) for quite some time. Years, even. That includes ignoring their own terms of use. 

I wonder what the change is now. 

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I still don't know what's wrong with "holy goalie." 🙄

I thought the Duggalos was the offensive word. IMO, Holy Goalie is actually a compliment.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought the Duggalos was the offensive word. IMO, Holy Goalie is actually a compliment.

If they don’t tell us, I guess we’ll never know 🤦‍♀️.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, Heathen said:

The moderators on that forum have been power-tripping (and playing favorites) for quite some time. Years, even. That includes ignoring their own terms of use. 

I wonder what the change is now. 

Wonder if JimBoob is behind it.  He has been on a roll the past week to shut down a lot of different sites, especially after the Holts lost custody of their minor children.

It really sounds like they are really in a panic mode because a lot of damning information has come out in the past couple of weeks on them and their "religion".

• Useful 6

Is it just me or is anyone else having issues with this site? It takes forever to download, the feed keeps moving back to previous posts, there’s a long lag while trying to type posts, and I keep getting a message saying there is a problem. Not to mention the horrible pop up ads. I mostly use my phone or tablet but it’s getting so bad I often give up and try later.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Is it just me or is anyone else having issues with this site? It takes forever to download, the feed keeps moving back to previous posts, there’s a long lag while trying to type posts, and I keep getting a message saying there is a problem. Not to mention the horrible pop up ads. I mostly use my phone or tablet but it’s getting so bad I often give up and try later.

Yes! It's so annoying. Didn't they just do some big site upgrade? It shouldn't be this glitchy. 

• Like 3