Type keyword(s) to search

Teen Mom 2: Small Talk

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Talky Tina said:

May I ask for a bit of advice or is that considered off topic? I don't see an off topic board so I hope it's within the rules to ask here.  I don't post much but I read this part of of site more than any other so I feel like I "know" you all better than any other thread. 

Ok, here's my question.  I've adopted a family for the holidays, the family has mom, 2 boys and 2 girls, the dad died in a car accident in 2015.  I've received wish lists for the kids but mom insists she doesn't want anything.  Along with a few ideas I have for her I'm thinking of putting together a household type basket for her. I'll get a nice basket and I want to add stuff that we can all use new of, but don't often buy for ourselves.  My problem is that I'm not at all creative so aside from kitchen towels/dish cloths and maybe some candles, I'm out of ideas.  My I ask what you ladies would want in such a basket?  I just want to fill it with useful things and maybe a fun item or two.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.  

I think it’s amazing what you are doing ?

Maybe you can include one of the following:

A nice comforter or comforter set

A sheet set

A silk pillowcase

Bath towel set

Robe and slippers or lounge wear

Bath & Body Works ( or other brand) shower gel or gift certificate

Uber gift certificate or gas card if she has a car

• Love 6

You ladies are so nice, I knew this was the right group to ask.  Thank you all for the kind words and mostly for the suggestions. 

@geauxaway, I also love gadgets, when I had my cabin built I specifically asked for a big double drawer for all of my gadgets. Great ideas, thanks! @druzy, thank you. I had thought of a few things on your list but gas cards are a great idea.  I'm definitely using your ideas.  Thank you all. 

Edited to add: The sponsor who matched me up with the family said that the mom is going back to school in the spring when the youngest is in elementary school full time. I'd like to get her something to encourage that. 

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Talky Tina said:

You ladies are so nice, I knew this was the right group to ask.  Thank you all for the kind words and mostly for the suggestions. 

@geauxaway, I also love gadgets, when I had my cabin built I specifically asked for a big double drawer for all of my gadgets. Great ideas, thanks! @druzy, thank you. I had thought of a few things on your list but gas cards are a great idea.  I'm definitely using your ideas.  Thank you all. 

Edited to add: The sponsor who matched me up with the family said that the mom is going back to school in the spring when the youngest is in elementary school full time. I'd like to get her something to encourage that. 

Maybe a nice bookbag with some school supplies for the mom? 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Talky Tina said:

Thanks!!  I'm going to do gift cards like that but I also wanted to make up the basket for the mother,  I'm just not creative enough to think of what should go inside.  I'm retired and living my dream life, I have no kids of my own to spoil for Christmas so I'm adopting a few this year.  It's so fun to buy for the kids, I'm probably going to go a bit overboard.  The kids are 5, 7, 10 and 12, I have been on Amazon looking at things in their lists and I think this will be a blast. Of course their two kitties will also get presents. 

Fuzzy socks, gloves, hand lotion, sheet face masks, hair conditioner, herbal tea?  ( aka my usual haul when I hit TJ Maxx!

LOL I love me some “self-care”!) 

• Love 8
On 11/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, Talky Tina said:

When I was in college, many many years ago, we had to buy textbooks. Do they still use them or is everything online? Maybe you can give her a certificate to the campus bookstore or help her pay for the books. Maybe you can pay for one of her credits. Does she have a laptop?  Perhaps you can put money towards a laptop. Does she need a printer? She may need a  dictionary, thesaurus and citation style manual. 

• Love 5

@Talky Tina, you are so amazing!

I am not a bullet journal person (although I would like to be), but many of my mommy (and mommy age) friends are into these. https://bulletjournal.com/ Someone posted yesterday that Michaels has all their journals 40% off right now or something? 

A nice travel mug is nice, too. 

A food or produce subscription? like a CSA or "imperfect produce" box delivered? 

A lot of mommy age women right now are also into essential oils and oil diffusers so maybe one of those kits?

Please share with us what you end up getting. I know I could use the ideas!

• Love 6

Hey guys!!  I hope everyone is doing well today. 

I just wanted to pop in and say hi to all of my favorite internet friends. I haven't been around for a while because I got some sucky news a few weeks ago.  I had been having some health issues and was told that I have "a couple of good years" left.  Please, I don't need any I'm sorrys or any sympathy,  I just really like you guys and wanted to he honest with you all.  I will tell you though that these next couple of years will be damn good ones.  The bad part is that I still haven't told my kids. I asked them to come over this weekend and I'll do it then. This is the worst part so far.  I did have a bad moment this past weekend though, my granddaughter was spending the night with me and we saw a show about weddings. She told me that she wants me to wear purple and dance with her at her wedding. That sucked. 

@Talky TinaTINA, it's great that you're adopting a family for the holidays. I read your original question, are you asking specifically about household items?  You mentioned a household basket.  Let me know if that's what you meant.  My son and his girl are the hardest people to buy presents for, they have a beautiful house and enough money to get whatever they may want. A few years ago I made them a basket similar to what I think you're talking about.  I just bought a bunch of kitchen/household things that we all have and could always use new ones. I got kitchen towels, measuring cups and spoons and a bunch of other stuff and put it in a big, pretty basket. 

Nice to "see" everyone!  I'll be back! 

• Love 16

Thanks you guys. I'm ok. I've always been pretty positive and I'm trying hard to stay that way. My "husband" didn't want to leave my side but I finally convinced him to get back on the road, for the sanity of both of us. So I'll have some time to bug you guys for a while. 

@Enya Face, I'm so sorry to hear about your kidney infection. From what I hear, they're so painful.  I hope you're feeling better. 

@Jennifersdc, the best internet friends I've ever had are right here in small talk.  These people are the best. 

• Love 11
On October 27, 2018 at 2:48 PM, FairyDusted said:

You know weed comes with filter tips now?! Oh and I ate a batch of adult cookies. That's how I spent my special day. LOL!

I think that "fairydusted" should be a new word describing smoking and eating edibles at the same time:

"We spent an extra day in Denver because my husband wanted to get fairydusted."

or

"I ate two of the brownies before I realized that I would be too fairydusted to drive back home that evening"

(happy birthday!)

• Love 12
1 hour ago, FairyDusted said:

You gotta hang around. This the the ultimate crib. Shit goes down. We fuckin rally! At least we make each other laugh through all the bs❤️

I couldn't agree more. You've all helped me through my accident and the horrible boredom of not being able to do anything. You've all given great advice, a shit load of laughs and you've always been so nice to me.   I'm not leaving this place. I consider you all to be my friends.

????

• Love 13
12 hours ago, OldButHappy said:

I think that "fairydusted" should be a new word describing smoking and eating edibles at the same time:

"We spent an extra day in Denver because my husband wanted to get fairydusted."

or

"I ate two of the brownies before I realized that I would be too fairydusted to drive back home that evening"

(happy birthday!)

LMAO Fairydusted as a VERB or an adjective! ! LMAO! 

Thank you OBH! 

Edited by FairyDusted
  • Love 8

You ladies are the best. I shouldn't keep saying ladies because I'm not sure if we have men here as well.  Apologies to any men that may be here. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:30 AM, FairyDusted said:

You guys have great ideas! I think gift certificates are great but a lot of moms would treat their kids so some great comfort gifts would be great. It's way better than my system of here-let-Nana-write-you-a-check.  

Exactly!! I know that's what my mom would have done.

As for spa certificates and the like , I'm never sure about those because, for me, I don't like being touched. I've never had a manicure, pedicure, massage or anything like that.  I know I'm in the extreme minority with that.  I have collected a great mani/pedi set over the years and I find it relaxing to do my own. 

@Maharincess, I am looking for kitchen ideas, I already have a "pamper" basket with items that were suggested here but I want to fix up a kitchen basket. (can you tell I love doing basket type presents with lots of little things?).  I'm trying to think of things in the kitchen that when you pull it out to use it, you think to yourself "damn, I really need a new one", but always forget to buy a new one.   Does this make sense?!  I already have a couple of dishtowel/potholder sets, a nice set of measuring spoons and cups and things like that.  Her bio said she liked to make home cooked meals for the kids. 

I completed their Thanksgiving shopping last week. I bought a few things and then sent grocery store gift cards so the mom can buy what she wants.  I also got a gift card to a pie shop in town. Best pies I've ever had. Now I get to the fun part and I get to go Christmas shopping for them. I haven't bought for kids in years so I'm glad I have detailed lists from the sponsor. 

Happy Sunday everyone. 

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 6

@Talky Tina now you’re talking.  (Bad joke) But I like the idea of stuff that you’d never buy for yourself because money could be put other wise.    We cook a lot of soups and sauces in the winter and I’d love a little spoon rest.  It’s not necessary.  We use plates (me) or put it on the stove (husband ?) but it’s just an extra mess.  I’d love this https://www.crateandbarrel.com/conversion-spoon-rest/s201565?localedetail=US&a=1552&campaignid=699792213&adgroupid=35234998983&targetid=aud-356254942704:pla-293946777986&pla_sku=201565&pcat=HSW&ag=adult&scid=scplp201565&sc_intid=201565&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw5_fBRCSARIsAGodhk_xqZHk38gZKnyXcwjhkpa_XdJkU1CzKkl9zCtIpJS7kUXuYr7QYdcaArYGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Love 6

@LBS, yes!!  That's the kind of thing I'm thinking about. I'm always thinking that I need a new one of whatever I'm using but never buy new. I like the spoon rest idea. 

I think I mentioned that I took a lot of the suggestions you have all given me and made the mom a pampering basket. I bought a bunch of fuzzy socks and things that @teapot suggested and other ideas from you all.  Without you I probably wouldn't have done a big basket like that.  For her pamper one I bought a pretty basket that she can use for just about anything. I want to get creative with the container for the kitchen stuff but haven't thought of anything yet.  The only thing that comes to mind is a big collander but I'm not sure. I get so damn excited every Christmas. It's usually just me, my cousin and his husband and the animals. My cousin and his husband are both contractors and they built my house. I paid them with 6 acres on my land.  I'm especially excited this year to be able to buy for kids and for a family that needs it. 

• Love 5

I had surgery a few weeks ago and had to see the surgeon to deal with a situation today and it caused a bunch of pain so he issued a few more pain killers and now I’m feeling them as well as “fairy dusting” (love it!) and while sitting here watching one 30 minute episode of The Simpsons (ok...sort of watching) I managed to mindlessly eat like $10 worth of pistachios. And this is why I shan’t buy the shelled kind ever again...they just go down tooooo easy... ?  @Talky Tina everyone came up with great ideas already but might I suggest pistachios? ? 

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I had surgery a few weeks ago and had to see the surgeon to deal with a situation today and it caused a bunch of pain so he issued a few more pain killers and now I’m feeling them as well as “fairy dusting” (love it!) and while sitting here watching one 30 minute episode of The Simpsons (ok...sort of watching) I managed to mindlessly eat like $10 worth of pistachios. And this is why I shan’t buy the shelled kind ever again...they just go down tooooo easy... ?  @Talky Tina everyone came up with great ideas already but might I suggest pistachios? ? 

Hope you are feeling better. I'm always a lil Dusted myself. Mama loves her herb! And pistachios go with any kind of buzz. *PPP*

@Talky Tina I love your baskets!!! I'm sure she will light up as much as you have. You're good people. 

• Love 6

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, peanuts.  Add in chocolate to that gift basket!   Since I can remember I’ve always gave my mom a tin of cashews and a bag of dark chocolate for every holiday. ❤️ 

I love my silicone covered baking utinsels.  And they are usually on the cheap!  

I’ve been soooo in the Christmas mood for 2 weeks now.  Our trees (yes we have 3) have been up since 11/4.  The only thing I haven’t done is the outside lights / decor.  I gotta keep the crazy contained, don’t need the neighbors knowing. ?

• Love 7
16 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, peanuts.  Add in chocolate to that gift basket!   Since I can remember I’ve always gave my mom a tin of cashews and a bag of dark chocolate for every holiday. ❤️ 

I love my silicone covered baking utinsels.  And they are usually on the cheap!  

I’ve been soooo in the Christmas mood for 2 weeks now.  Our trees (yes we have 3) have been up since 11/4.  The only thing I haven’t done is the outside lights / decor.  I gotta keep the crazy contained, don’t need the neighbors knowing. ?

Is that why you use baking "utinsels"?  ;D

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 5

I'm still thinking of nuts and dark chocolate.

Dreading the tree deal though with this dog. He runs into EVERYTHING! I'm sure if the kitten comes up he will climb it. My Dad says he runs around the house without touching the floor for the first few hours a day. I walked laundry down today and Baker was lurking in the laundry room and jumped in my basket then tried to beat me up the steps.

• Love 4

Well, bizzles. Happy turkey day!  I’m the official Chandler of my family / friends.  I HATE hot turkey.  Love the sides but give me some ham.  I baked 4 pies today, which was a cut down from years past when I would do 8-10 pies, we have a smaller group this year.  

anyone want to take wagers on any of these TM girls preparing a full dinner for their family from scratch (I could and I have).  But these fools?  Yah no.  🤣🦃   Peace love and fat pants y’all 🙏🏻🇮🇹✌🏼

• Love 11

@FairyDusted I’ve been fairy dusting (I’M FUCKIN’ DUSTIN’!!!!! Yes, by that I mean I’m banging Jenelle’s old law-yur. Or it’s a David fuckin rakin joke. Or both. 😉)and I’m sorry but I laughed so hard!!! Like, I’m gonna need a video! 😆 

If you haven’t listened to the podcast Amanda Loves to Hate Teen Mom y’all need to get on that!! I don’t always agree with her opinions but she’s overall pretty funny. Her impressions of Jenelle are hilarious, she really hits the odd way of speaking Jenelle sometimes has. I haven’t listened to that many but check out the newest episode Law and Disorder. It’s about the clips show...she said that she is “convinced that Nova was played by a different child actor” 😆 And the Roxanne imitation.. “OHHHH MYYY GODDDD, THIS GUUUYYYY” !! The vapors, the vapors!!

EDIT: it includes the “that’s why I got all these feathers in my hair” iconic moment..reenacted!

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 6

LMAO @Rebecca! Dusted Sisters Unite! 

Ham for my HAM of a Thanksgiving here. I'm still so pissed I can't even describe WTAF happened here except it was straight out of a 'Roseanne Thanksgiving episode.' I'll come back and give you the details when I 'm not so DUSTED myself! 

Big Ole No to Black Friday shopping. It was black enough. I don't fuck with crowds.

• Love 4

@FairyDusted Some of the thanksgiving episodes of Roseanne got dark. I hope it’s not like that and more like your mom came out of the closet like Bev did or your son was in a school pageant the city of Lanford wasn’t ready for...

I’m sorry, I’m dusted ✨ Fresh stuff ! May your dustings be plentiful!

• Love 5

I grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone and you are safe from any real crimes. (Except thieves) Safety has never really been an issue.  (1,400 population) That being said we desperately want to move to Washington State. We have no family there (Family is what we are tryinggn to get away from) but we are tired of Texas.  Husband has been applying for jobs on the base on Whidbey and Port Hadlock. Two yrs ago he was offered two separate permanent jobs in Washington and at the time we had to turn them down. This yr life proved we made the right choice but now we are trying again. For a paranoid mom who has a 7th grader, what are some of the best areas/schools. We like Anacortes and Oak Harbor. We love Port Townsend as well. Of course Friday Harbor is completely out of our price range. I’ve looked at Craigslist and Zillow.  Found a great apartment in Everett but I don’t know anything about that area. Any Washington State friends have any recommendations. We have one inside dog, a lab.  I know that cuts our options in half but we have to bring our Luna. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mkay said:

I grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone and you are safe from any real crimes. (Except thieves) Safety has never really been an issue.  (1,400 population) That being said we desperately want to move to Washington State. We have no family there (Family is what we are tryinggn to get away from) but we are tired of Texas.  Husband has been applying for jobs on the base on Whidbey and Port Hadlock. Two yrs ago he was offered two separate permanent jobs in Washington and at the time we had to turn them down. This yr life proved we made the right choice but now we are trying again. For a paranoid mom who has a 7th grader, what are some of the best areas/schools. We like Anacortes and Oak Harbor. We love Port Townsend as well. Of course Friday Harbor is completely out of our price range. I’ve looked at Craigslist and Zillow.  Found a great apartment in Everett but I don’t know anything about that area. Any Washington State friends have any recommendations. We have one inside dog, a lab.  I know that cuts our options in half but we have to bring our Luna. 

I grew up in Everett and have lived about 10 miles NE of Everett for 31 years. North Everett is not a good place to raise a teenager. It used to be full of nice neighborhoods but has really gone downhill. Look north of Everett to Arlington or further. Anacortes, Mount Vernon and pretty much all of Skagit county would be a much better area with less populated schools and rent is a lot less up there, too. Oak Harbor is not far away, either. Anacortes would be the closest to Oak Harbor. 

Rent is insane around the greater Everett area (not as insane as Seattle, though). My three bedroom, two bath rental goes for $2300 a month and I could get more if I wanted. If the house was in Seattle, it would go for $3500 or more a month. Look north! And hope your husband can work with the Navy base in Oak Harbor 😄

• Love 5
11 hours ago, lovesnark said:

I grew up in Everett and have lived about 10 miles NE of Everett for 31 years. North Everett is not a good place to raise a teenager. It used to be full of nice neighborhoods but has really gone downhill. Look north of Everett to Arlington or further. Anacortes, Mount Vernon and pretty much all of Skagit county would be a much better area with less populated schools and rent is a lot less up there, too. Oak Harbor is not far away, either. Anacortes would be the closest to Oak Harbor. 

Rent is insane around the greater Everett area (not as insane as Seattle, though). My three bedroom, two bath rental goes for $2300 a month and I could get more if I wanted. If the house was in Seattle, it would go for $3500 or more a month. Look north! And hope your husband can work with the Navy base in Oak Harbor 😄

Thank you! You named all the places we want to live. Yay! We have a home here we will probably rent out. If it were just me and my husband I wouldn’t mind living anywhere. But with a 12 yr old and changing schools I worry for her. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, lovesnark said:

Thank you! You named all the places we want to live. Yay! We have a home here we will probably rent out. If it were just me and my husband I wouldn’t mind living anywhere. But with a 12 yr old and changing schools I worry for her. 

Bremerton called him today. 🤞🏻 Know anything about that area?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mkay said:

Bremerton called him today. 🤞🏻 Know anything about that area?

I don't know much about Bremerton. I have fond memories of going there with my childhood friend on her dad's boat when I was a little kid😊

• Love 4
2 hours ago, monicageller said:

All my dreams/nightmares are coming true! Get ready for bogans galore! I'm so excited to share my country's trash with y'all.

Thanks for sharing! I wonder how cultural differences will affect the show. 

• Love 3

What happened to Teen Mum UK?  I watched the 2 season they ran on MTV, but was that it?  

Will MTV run this Australia version?  I’ll watch it if they do!  And I’ve not watched TM OG or TM2 I’m going on 3 years.  But I’m all in for these international versions.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

What happened to Teen Mum UK?

There was more seasons that aired in the UK but MTV never saw fit to broadcast it in the US. I looooovved that show! 

@Giant Misfit me too!!!!  I need to know how many kids Megan has now!  And are they still in the caravan?!  So many questions!  And the guy with the 2 babies the same age but with different moms, and no job.  Where are they now?? I guess I could try to track info down online, but I’m too lazy for that. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, geauxaway said:

And the guy with the 2 babies the same age but with different moms, and no job.  

MANLEY!!! He was the worst—I barely think he could summon the energy to open his eyes let alone support those two kids. Caravan-girl Megan apparently is still married to that gross grifter and has had a lot of cosmetic procedures. 

I'll never understand why MTV didn't continue airing the show in the US. It was soooooo much better than the versions we get here. 

I’ve been awake for almost 23 hours 🤪🥴 I woke up at 3:30am yesterday and couldn’t fall back asleep and ended up drinking a can of Coke around 2pm..now it’s 2:11am and I’m wide awake, because of the caffeine...I’m old y’all. I don’t drink caffeinated stuff usually but damn.

• Love 4

I've been on third shift myself lately. I just got to the point that if I get sleep I don't care when it is. Everyone is retired here and and when my Dad first sees me, every day, regardless of time, asks me if if I just got up. I answer yes every time no matter what! 

And it's almost 6 PM and I just cracked a Pepsi with sugar. Oh well. I'll be on Land Watch tonight! 

• Love 4