Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, aguabella said:

Loved your routine, DG411!  If you upload the additional material, please let us know!

Sounded like it was well received by that particular crowd.  Have you taken it on the road?  Different groups respond differently?  Just curious - if you feel like sharing.

Thanks again for posting it and good luck! 

Tiny House Hunter Stand-Up
Thank you very much Aguabella.  Every crowd is different but generally it works pretty well.  It usually depends on my rhythm and if I stick any darker stuff in there.
Here is a link to the full routine with the regular House Hunter part at the beginning.  
Full Tiny House Hunter Stand-Up (with regular House Hunter beginning)

I don't travel as much as I should as my kids are still pretty young.  Here's another bit about that.
Kids - Stand-Up

• Love 2
(edited)
On May 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM, auntjess said:

Do please post the longer one, I really liked that. 
You could make a longer one by asking a friend to let you park in their yard.

I didn't forget!  I just posted the longer one some regular House Hunters stuff here...

Edited by DG411

Interesting clip and covered a lot of the things that we've already mentioned.  No way would I even visit one.  I need air all around me!  Plus where does one curl up and read a book on a winter evening - certainly not in that claustrophobic loft.  There weren't even enough chairs for the couples to both sit at the same time!

• Love 2

Some tiny homes are larger, this one is really small. To each his own although a weekend in one might be a good idea. So many find the dollhouse size too small. Some love it.

THN had a couple recently that built one for themselves and their backpacking gear and they love it. No plans for kids and they designed it. Others suddenly realize they can't escape each other or going to the laundromat isn't very much fun or not being able to stock up on things. I would miss buying things that were a steal on sale to stock up and to be honest, having space to not see my husband of kids and just be alone for an hour or so. A loft wouldn't cut it, you can hear and see too much. Nothing to do with caring, just needing some space. If I had to I could, but wouldn't be my first choice. I don't like huge homes, but this is too far to the other end.

• Love 3

i used to turn the channel when i saw people complaining about how small the places were but then i remembered the show was fake and also inherently dishonest.  I think most go towards tiny homes more for financial reasons than for wanting to go tiny, but the show paints the image thats its for ideological reasons.  I would respect the show more if they were honest and just admit they were financially limited and wanted a house as big and comfortable as possible for a set amount.

i do understand some want mobile homes, so why don't they buy mobile homes?  some say mobile homes are not as beautiful, but tiny houses are not as mobile as mobile homes if mobility is what they are looking for.

• Love 2
(edited)

The couple on tonight's THN seemed a little overwhelmed when they revisited. They were so excited in the beginning but the cuteness does wear thin. I can't put my finger on it, but the wife seemed less enthusiastic at the end and I wont be surprised to see it for sale one day but I hope I'm wrong. It was a cute "car theme" home but small for 2 kids. She seemed very surly describing their life now.

Edited by debraran
On July 2, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Grneyedldy said:

I agree, as a full time living situation, I think most of them are ridiculous and impractical. However, I can really picture creating a vacation compound with several tiny "units" and each one having a different purpose. 

Every once and awhile they show tiny/small houses with their own foundations. They are usually in the 500-750 sq.ft. range and have some outdoor space. Now those I can see being more practical and livable. I wish we saw more in that size range.

1 hour ago, debraran said:

The couple on tonight's THN seemed a little overwhelmed when they revisited. They were so excited in the beginning but the cuteness does wear thin. I can't put my finger on it, but the wife seemed less enthusiastic at the end and I wont be surprised to see it for sale one day but I hope I'm wrong. It was a cute "car theme" home but small for 2 kids. She seemed very surly describing their life now.

like i said above, i don't think most of them really want to go tiny...i think they want to go cheap and going tiny is a way to achieve cheap or low expense.  the show just isn't honest about portraying this.

I mean who would willing choose to live in a house the size of a jail cell or a dorm room?   when people check into hotels, do they ask for the smallest room possible?

• Love 1

ike i said above, i don't think most of them really want to go tiny...i think they want to go cheap and going tiny is a way to achieve cheap or low expense.  the show just isn't honest about portraying this.

Most of these homes aren't that affordable based on Sq footage and most definitely not a good investment based on resale value. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Most of these homes aren't that affordable based on Sq footage and most definitely not a good investment based on resale value. 

i agree.  it seems to be throwaway money to me.  but some of them seem to have a short term view of things, or else they wouldn't be so into those tiny home in the first place.  especially when they are shoehorning an entire family of 5 with their pets into space of a dorm room or a tiny hotel room.  

It's just another fad and an opportunity for Fifteen Minutes of Fame on TV.  I can't imagine that they is any resale value in those things.  And as others have pointed out, if you want to be mobile, buy a nice motorhome with amenities that has been designed specifically to accommodate tiny living.  How many of these yahoos actually move those things?  Most either park them somewhere on a piece of land or in their parent's back yard.  They are probably fine for a little vacation retreat or short term rentals. But I would pay big bucks to see some follow up shows that prove these folks are really living in those things long term.

It's all fake and will go the way of fads shortly.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It's just another fad and an opportunity for Fifteen Minutes of Fame on TV.  I can't imagine that they is any resale value in those things.  And as others have pointed out, if you want to be mobile, buy a nice motorhome with amenities that has been designed specifically to accommodate tiny living.  How many of these yahoos actually move those things?  Most either park them somewhere on a piece of land or in their parent's back yard.  They are probably fine for a little vacation retreat or short term rentals. But I would pay big bucks to see some follow up shows that prove these folks are really living in those things long term.

It's all fake and will go the way of fads shortly.

I agree to a point. Some are real. I have "followed" or googled a few families that have had their tiny homes for a while. Most were foundation homes though, a couple were on wheels but not moving. The last couple on THN, really love their home, they designed it, plan on no children and travel. For them, it's fine. Since they designed it, are engineers, they aren't naive. 

But, I would say more than half are selling in a year or so and from what friends who look at TH Listings tell me, they are for sale for a while, some more than a year. I cringe at some couples and can't really watch, it's so obvious they don't really want the home from the beginning, but the casting company thinks they will attract viewers more than a mature couple or older couple who are serious but not as silly.

I like to use the show for space saving ideas and it has helped me in an odd way to get rid of a lot of stuff I don't need or want. I've read books about it, been on organizing sites, but this show has put fear in my husband and his 200 tee shirts.....it has helped me get rid of things that meant nothing but made a home over 20 years. For that I am grateful ;)

• Love 1

and most definitely not a good investment based on resale value

Someone on one of these boards said that the mobile ones would depreciate in value, as a vehicle would, rather than appreciate like real estate.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Someone on one of these boards said that the mobile ones would depreciate in value, as a vehicle would, rather than appreciate like real estate.

That's true, but it's also because banks don't fix a value on them, no mortgages mostly. Without land, value is diminished also. I think zoning laws are restrictive but I like the idea of a home being inspected and having some codes. I think it can save lives and others around you.

I suppose an inspector (if the builder didn't) would have told some families that they needed a smoke detector and fire extinguisher and maybe an air filter if closed up during winter months. I know some gas stoves caused air problems in some homes, frozen pipes (another issue addressed on inspections) wood that might warp or have termites. I've heard so many stories googling tiny home failures that might not have happened with trailers/RV's  because they are regulated.

Of course that leads to more money and taxes but it's a trade-off.

• Love 1

I think zoning laws are restrictive but I like the idea of a home being inspected and having some codes.

If nothing else, egress windows would be required. I know I even had to have one put in my basement at my new house.  I can't imagine those loft things would pass an inspection since, in most cases, those windows would be impossible to get out of.  

I see all of the wood and the tiny windows throughout and all I can think of is fire trap.

• Love 1

Again, on one of these discussions, a person familiar with wood stoves said that some of them were a fire hazard in a tiny house.
I agree with egress windows, and my big hates are no fire extinguishers, no stair rails, and rails across the loft too.  Also, unever stair tread height.
I just want Mike Holmes to inspect these houses.

• Love 2
(edited)

Many put railings in later, don't know why (they aren't that expensive) they don't do it while building. As far as fire extinguishers and the like, I say with Home Depot being a big sponsor, have them donate them or show them bought in the show. I read about gas and other heaters from tiny house builders and they said some of the tiny homes they see on TV are way too small to have them. And gas without very good ventilation is a tragedy waiting to happen.  When one tiny home dweller told of an electrical fire starting from too many things plugged in the kitchen outlet, I wondered if that would have passed inspection. No shut off circuit breakers. Zack Giffin mentioned how many need air cleaner/circulation because of how well insulated some are, but it's not up to him, he wishes they had a show on just what to do and not to do. 

I find it scary after plunking down 20-50,000, you can't insure them many times either....that would be a no-go for me, you could lose everything with a storm or fire.

This touches on it a little bit. http://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/think-about-safety-when-you-build-tiny-houses.html

I agree with some of the comments that if you built the house yourself and took risks, you shouldn't be able to sell it without disclosing safety hazards. You also shouldn't be close to someone that it could impact if it did catch fire, etc. Many people say it's their life, etc. but not always, other people can be there or visiting.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

what about normal things like the toilet which in some cases is essentially an indoor outhouse being that close to food preparation and storage?

what about sharing that space with other people?

• Love 2

I think of the people with children in these lofts.
The baby they were hoisingt up in the basket, will soon be old enough to crawl around and climb.
If they only only harmed themselves, I'd count it as a win for the gene pool, but there are others involved.

• Love 2
(edited)
31 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I think of the people with children in these lofts.
The baby they were hoisingt up in the basket, will soon be old enough to crawl around and climb.
If they only only harmed themselves, I'd count it as a win for the gene pool, but there are others involved.

Yes, that hoist was almost a joke, cute in a way but totally impracticable. I still enjoy watching THN but now look at it with different eyes so it loses some appeal it had. I find myself looking at the hazards instead of the counter tops. As a mom of 3, no way would I have a loft for them to climb...even bunks scared me too young.

I hope they show more foundation homes next season, they are more regulated and usually get zoning waivers. My coworker has a 700 sq foot home near a beach (but not close enough to get extra insurance) and she loves it. She's over 55, downsized over the last 2 years, and she and her cat enjoy their 2 bedroom, 1 floor home. Her electric and gas is very low and her taxes, but she still has because she wants these things, WiFi charges, phone and cable. A nice alternative to a senior community which she wanted to avoid.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

600 to 700 sq-ft isn't bad for one to two people to live comfortably....that is the size of a small one bedroom apt.

anything less than that especially with more people is cruel and unusual punishment.

• Love 1

I need to say that I hate that promo and stupid promo song for THH.  Goes something like "BIP bop, Bobby di bo bo bo". Look at these tiny housers!  So quirky they needed their own stupid fucking quirky nonsense song!

also the women in the promo saying "we would rather spend our money on experiences.."   Yeah, 30 years from now when you need capital, those experiences should fetch at least 200k.  Dumbass.  

• Love 3
On 7/16/2016 at 0:11 PM, auntjess said:

Great article. I find myself constantly yelling at the TV screen, "But you're buying a tiny house!!!" It's nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. And yet I keep watching the show. Probably because I find it so interesting how the builders maximize the space. I don't think I could ever live in a tiny house with a family, however. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There are expenses with some tiny homes, many who do it with quality workmanship and make sure safety is uppermost on their minds, spend much more than expected. It's also not maintenance free, you still need to fix things, update exterior etc. It's just a smaller space. One couple that THN did a home for had so many leaks when they left, they had to do a floor area over and wall. One couple said they had to fix windows, put in something to make the rain not come in and rot the wood. Never thought of gutters or those type of things. One guy had to put something in the flooring to help with heat, another complained that small area got too warm, even with fans and she was concerned the air conditioner could be the only draw or it might overwhelm the circuits. So many things that superficially you just don't look at or care about on a show.

I laugh when couples say, It looks so big! and John usually says there isn't any furniture or appliances in it yet. But still, they go on. I heard they signed for another 26 shows...can't imagine how they will make them different yet.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I heard they signed for another 26 shows...can't imagine how they will make them different yet.

That's how I felt about Income Property - which basically had hunky Scott McGillvary renovate someone's basement into an income suite and in every episode Something Went Wrong.  It got pretty repetitive, pretty fast but to change things up they now have an Income Property Vacation Homes (or some such title).  Same basic premise but at least it's on a lake instead of someone's basement.  I expect they'll do similar fascinating twists with THH.  Anything to keep the show alive.

If they weren't worried about "cuteness" or a certain demographic, I think showing a veteran or older couple who need affordable housing, maybe a small home with wheelchair access and 2 doors to get in and out of for safety for someone with special needs (zoning always an issue) OR, this is probably too boring, take some already tiny homes, cottages, small homes people live in already, 700 sq feet or so, and make them more livable, put in a murphy bed or other things to up the storage, a Zack creation, but that takes away from the "trailer" theme. With so few states allowing them though and so many "hiding" in back yards and rural areas, it can't keep going on just that....or Tiny House Listings will be full! ; )

• Love 3

Fullerton, CA couple last night.... 3.5 kids and two parents trying to squeeze into a tiny house and wanting a composting toilet.  5 people and a baby on the way and they WANT a composting toilet.  They also wanted a big fridge, oven/stove, full size tub to bathe the kids, and two sleeping lofts (but then complained about the rickety stairs leading to the sleeping lofts). 

They want to be able to travel around with the kids, so are looking for a mobile tiny house.  After mentally slapping them repeatedly, I yelled, "Buy an RV" until my exhortations cracked all the windows on every house on my block. The last "place" they looked at was an old school bus.  Which he wondered if he'd be able to drive since he doesn't know how to drive a bus (but, I guess never wondered how he would transport a Tiny House while traveling all over?)

The topper?  He's supposedly a financial planner. 

So they bought the bus and it's parked where?  An RV park!

Ok, unless the financial planner husband planned them into bankruptcy, these people are NOT down-sizing.  They probably couldn't afford a nice RV that their family would be comfortable traveling in (they are planning a road trip), so they bought a "vintage bus" for $19k, and the rest of the story is all for the show.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7

The Fullerton bus couple were such "great" actors - as soon as their "realtor" showed them the bus, I knew it was already their's. The whole "I wonder if I can learn to drive this" was such a case of acting. I agree with izabella: "They probably couldn't afford a nice RV that their family would be comfortable traveling in (they are planning a road trip), so they bought a "vintage bus" for $19k, and the rest of the story is all for the show."

• Love 1

I wondered about the "financial planner" too.
I also wondered about the shape of the bus, how many miles on it, and did a mechanic check it out?
It was the best choice for them, though.
The thought of all those kids dealing with lofts and ladders was rather scary.

• Love 3

most of those tiny house buyers go that route because they don't have money.  what kills me is subjecting your entire family to living in a closet...and some of them even have multiple pets.

Edited by dga28
  • Love 3

The last thing this couple needed was a tiny house.  They need space to keep them from bumping into each other and the wife getting pregnant again.  Well, maybe the lack of a door to their bedroom will prevent them from a lot of hot, monkey love  

That bus looked like a piece of crap.  Many tiny houses are really attractive, but the bus looked nasty.   When watching this couple they reminded me of the hippie weirdos from the 1960's. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:45 PM, DG411 said:

Tiny House Hunter Stand-Up
Thank you very much Aguabella.  Every crowd is different but generally it works pretty well.  It usually depends on my rhythm and if I stick any darker stuff in there.
Here is a link to the full routine with the regular House Hunter part at the beginning.  

I don't travel as much as I should as my kids are still pretty young.  Here's another bit about that.
Kids - Stand-Up

Thanks for the add'l postings, dg411!  Love it!

Interesting to hear about the crowds.  Obviously, I was curious how the HH materials plays in say, suburbia v. college campuses or at downtown clubs.

I greatly admire anyone who has the confidence and basically, gumption (thinking of another word but cleaned it up!) to stand up virtually naked in front of a crowd and do what you do! 

Thanks, again!

• Love 2

Aargh! The Fullerton couple made me want to call Child Protective Services, because what they were planning to do to those kids was criminal. And what was with the wife's obsession with the composting toilet? Does she have shit fetish? "Oh, goody! It's time to empty the toilet of the waste products of two adults and four children!" And are they so concerned about the environment that they're going to use cloth diapers for the new baby? I bet not.

"Tiny House/Big Living" has featured a couple of bus renovations, and they turned out really nicely. This one still looked broken down and decrepit. I will say that the inside wasn't terrible. I agree, the husband's idiocy about being able to drive the bus was bad acting. Take a CDL class, learn how to become a school bus driver from one of those driving schools. 

The woman and her daughter moving to Washington to squat on her friend's land -- they were "eccentric," to say the least. First off, it should be forbidden, when you're looking at a tiny home, to utter the words "It's too small." No shit, Sherlock, it's a tiny house. Everything is small. That said, two of those houses had really poor excuses for kitchens. And I think the one they chose had a hot plate and a toaster oven. How is that even considered a kitchen? But we had the idiot mother saying, "You already made cookies in the toaster oven!" and I'm thinking, yeah, a batch of four. 

And the sleeping loft for the daughter? You couldn't even sit up in it. No thanks. When I have to be in a coffin, I want to be dead. I honestly kept getting confused as to which was the mother and which the daughter. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7

I honestly kept getting confused as to which was the mother and which the daughter. 

Me, too!   I came in a little late and when they did one of their endless recaps and mentioned a mother and daughter I was confused.  I kept looking for clues as to which was which.  And I was ready to hurl something with the "it's too small" remarks.  You are right, those words should be banned on this series.  It's stupid and redundant.

• Love 4

Out of the mouths of babes: Yesterday my son turned a large cardboard box into his play house. When he realized that he and I , along with his older brother, could all fit into the box, he shouts, "This could be my tiny house!"

--And I immediately added, "But it's a little tight."

• Love 7

I searched my Tivo and there are several shows on Tiny houses.

Is this about diminished economic expectations?  Or reducing one's environmental footprint?

• Love 1

I think "tiny homes" have been around for a long time, people have lived in small condos or little cottages for decades. Anyone living in a large city apartment who isn't rich, lives in a small space. People have lived in mobile homes and RV's for years too.

What tiny houses have done is take the trailer and make it more "doll house/cottage-like" and more acceptable in looks (which Zack talks about a lot) and made older kids want the play house they had or wanted as a kid, a reality. The problem with them is that most couples seem naive to their own zoning laws or those of other states and think they can treat it as an RV...some are compatible but some aren't. One couple on THN loved their home but could only find a handful of places to keep it across the USA and they had time limits....so they are selling it.  You plunk down 40-50,000 on a home and not know where you can take it?

That to me is the 15 minutes of fame some want from TV....the ones who do it themselves, maybe they look into things more. Some are happy, families I think are crazy.  : )

Small homes are fine, I love cottages, I've seen 700 sq feet look larger with built-ins and be great for a couple or one child.  I just think the "fad" part is going to leave a lot of tiny homes sitting on lots (some illegally) in years to come.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

i just feel sad when i see parents subject their children to living in an outlandish walk in closet.  no different than i feel when i see people living in their cars or minivans.  its also baffling when they insist on doing so with multiple huge pets.  all the while talking and acting as though there is nothing wrong with it.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, dga28 said:

i just feel sad when i see parents subject their children to living in an outlandish walk in closet.  no different than i feel when i see people living in their cars or minivans.  its also baffling when they insist on doing so with multiple huge pets.  all the while talking and acting as though there is nothing wrong with it.

My hubby just mentioned the pets today, he saw a family with pets, a couple with pets is tight but a family with pets in 300 sq feet...that's tight. The rooms aren't like a 2 bedroom apartment.

• Love 2

I think it's very different living in a small apartment compared to a tiny house.  Right after college, I rented a very small apartment, but it didn't feel claustrophobic and I didn't have to climb a ladder and crawl under a very low ceiling to get into bed.   Those ladders, imho, are an accident waiting to happen.  The very young couple last night surprised me with their choice because the wife looked completely freaked by the composting toilet, but of course, that's the one they chose.  Was it just me, but did their baby look sickly?  His skin was so mottled and discolored.  

• Love 4

Was that the Elgin, Ill., couple?  Five minutes in, and I wanted to punch both of them, but mostly the idiot husband. Do these people not understand what "tiny house" means?

After watching the episode, I'm back to slapping them both. Morons.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Was that the Elgin, Ill., couple?  Five minutes in, and I wanted to punch both of them, but mostly the idiot husband. Do these people not understand what "tiny house" means?

I just kept shouting at the TV " you idiots do know that the 3 month old you are holding is going to keep growing.  He will be needing more space to crawl, walk and play.  He is going to grow out of that portable crib and then what? Oh, and that ladder to the loft, good luck with keeping him off that."  

• Love 6