Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: End Of Watch

Athena

Holmes and Watson join forces with the NYPD after a police officer is murdered. Also, Sherlock searches for the creator of a “recovery blog” who is posting personal statements he has made in sobriety meetings.

• Love 2

I enjoyed how everyone pulled together on this case. No surprise, but I liked how when the first policeman was shot, the other cops were seemingly okay with Holmes, Watson and Kitty lending a hand. I wasn't surprised at the uncle's reaction, but there was a commonality, if not a sinister link.

Why do bad guys who try to do bad stuff in NYC forget Rule Number One? NYPD is the biggest gang around; the arms dealer got a pretty pointed reminder of that as he was being taken away. (By the way, the Knock, Knock text was funny, but the Who's there reply was funny. Dumb, but funny.)

I liked that Kitty was so proactive about helping Sherlock out; she is pretty protective of him, which is a sweet thing. I understood why Sherlock was as adamant about doing this particular case on his own though. Still, the guy from the meetings was very assy and very selfish in the first place. It wasn't for him to post what was said in meetings, no matter how useful in his own sobriety, as Shelock pointed out. If he can't depend that others will actually respect his anonymity, then the Program is useless.

Even with the nice motive of helping others, he did not clear it with Sherlock, so I would think that Sherlock might have had some legal standing if the guy had been really stubborn. ( I don't know; what say you more legally-oriented posters?)  If he had just asked Sherlock first, there might not have been a problem, so that's why I lean towards characterizing him as a selfish ass. I did like Kitty noting that he is quotable, because he is.

Joan and Marcus are quite an effective team. I like them together.

We could have used some Ms. Hudson, maybe helping organize research, but I think I may be greedy on that front.

It was an involving episode, with interesting things to mull. Thanks, Elementary folks!

• Love 7

I was very sad at the end when Sherlock told his NA meeting that he had nothing to say at that time. He had succeeded in getting the selfish cheater guy to take down the website, but Sherlock still felt his anonymity was violated, and he had become acutely aware that he "stands out from the crowd" at a meeting designed for him to feel anonymous.

• Love 10

but Sherlock still felt his anonymity was violated, and he had become acutely aware that he "stands out from the crowd" at a meeting designed for him to feel anonymous.

Yes! That is why I didn't mind Sherlock's quiet, and a bit unsettling, almost(?)-blackmail to get the guy to take the site down. Sherlock respected everyone's sobriety enough, that he could've outed the guy to the group so they could collectively  decide what to do, if anything. Yet he kept it between the two of them and is wrestling with his trust issues again.

I hope that he can work himself back to that level again, but if he can't, I hope he confides in Joan. He respects her skills and insights as a sober companion. If he feels he can't talk to her, though, I hope we see Alfredo. Surely, he can help our favorite consulting detective.

• Love 5

I'm realizing that without the intensity of the personal life concerns (like Sherlock's sobriety) and the deeper relationship between the characters (like Joan and Sherlock when they lived and worked side by side), this show is just another procedural to me. Some episodes are better than others, and I liked tonight's, but it still follows the same basic format of so many other similar shows: crime introduced in opening scene, characters going from suspect to suspect, talking over evidence and theories, sudden breakthrough, final confrontation and wrap up. It's Hawaii 5-0 with less action and set in grey NYC instead of bright colorful Hawaii.

• Love 6

I do like it when the show touches on Sherlock's sobriety and him still going to meetings, so I enjoyed those parts of the episode a lot.  I thought it was interesting to hear that his words at these meetings have meant something to the other people, but then that jerk had to violate his anonymity (even if he didn't actually name names), and now Sherlock is going to be effected by that in future meetings.  I hope we get more episodes like this.  Also, I really hope Alfredo makes a return.  I miss him.

The case itself wasn't all that different or special.  Obviously, when cops are the victims, it becomes real personal for everyone else, even if one of them turns out to be dirty as hell.  Still, this episode did a decent job at having Sherlock, Joan, and Kitty all play parts in solving it, and Gregson and Marcus were used well.  I really liked that Marcus got to be the one to actually haul the killer out in front of everyone.  Yeah, I do not want to be that particular killer.  His time in jail (have to think the rest of his life) is going to be rough.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Yes! That is why I didn't mind Sherlock's quiet, and a bit unsettling, almost(?)-blackmail to get the guy to take the site down. Sherlock respected everyone's sobriety enough, that he could've outed the guy to the group so they could collectively  decide what to do, if anything. Yet he kept it between the two of them and is wrestling with his trust issues again.

I hope that he can work himself back to that level again, but if he can't, I hope he confides in Joan. He respects her skills and insights as a sober companion. If he feels he can't talk to her, though, I hope we see Alfredo. Surely, he can help our favorite consulting detective.

Absolutely.  This has been my favorite episode this season.  I was actually cheering Sherlock when he got up in the blogger's face.  He probably feels like he stands out all the darn time, and the meetings were the one place he could just express himself and get something from it, and that trust was violated.  That's a huge betrayal, even if the guy had more or less good intentions.

I didn't really (and still don't) know how I feel about putting the famous Holmes "give me work" speech in the context of an NA meeting, but I have to say Miller knocked the delivery of that out of the park.  Even with my dis-ease with the context, that might stand as my favorite delivery of that speech across the Holmes incarnations I have seen.

• Love 6

Most of his waking hours, Sherlock is all "look at how smart I am" and at the moment he doesn't want the attention, someone shines a spot light on him.  He handled it way more subtly than Kitty did, but it was good to see Kitty protecting him -- a reverse of their original relationship.  It means they are both getting better.

I was apprehensive at the preview commercials when we saw cops lined up for a fallen comrade and WE DID NOT SEE MARCUS.  I was afraid they were going to kill him off,, because this was supposed to be such an important episode.  Sorry that any cops died, but so glad it wasn't Marcus!

• Love 4

Funeral duty roster...2 guys guarding the advanced weapons armoury. HR Fail.  

And they looked pretty dead to me, lying there on the floor.  But nobody said they were dead so I assume just injured which is bad enough.

• Love 1

If cops don't have back-up plans for special occasions (such as funerals, public events, when they know protests are coming) they should have.  If they don't have enough officers, call out the national guard to do the back-up work, such as in this case, guarding all targetable points.  Hope this was just for plot purposes!

• Love 1

The Final Call? Was so sad.  At first, I thought the group was going to listen to the last radio call the first officer took, the one he died on. Then the realization that it was a ritual call just made it sadder.

I agree with Al, that this week, or month, isn't necessarily the best time to give NYC's cops a love song. Then again, for the good ones, maybe it actually is.

• Love 5
The Final Call? Was so sad.  At first, I thought the group was going to listen to the last radio call the first officer took, the one he died on. Then the realization that it was a ritual call just made it sadder.

I had the same confusion at first too. Loved the Final Call, but is this really a police practice or did it just come out of the fertile imaginations of the show's writers?

Sometimes I wonder if Gregson is stepping on Regan's job (see Blue Bloods in which Regan is NYPD chief of police.)  Did these crimes really happen in Tommy Gregson' precinct?  Is the armory in his precinct (and what's up with that name: something like Rodney's Neck?  Is that really a place in NYC?  Did Gregson even know the two cops that were killed?  If so, shouldn't he have been giving the direct condolences to the families and taking this all a little more personally?

Also, why wasn't Gregson worried that his daughter might be in danger?  Isn't Hannah a beat cop, couldn't she have been the one sitting in the driver's seat of the police car while her (new and less felonious) partner got them coffee?  Hannah's death would have certainly drawn a crowd of blue at the funeral.  Why was I the only one worried about this, Tommy?

I loved how Sherlock warned everyone before he removed the gun from the side of the first cop victim.  I imagined that he had not given this warning a few times before and got his hands roundly slapped.  Sort of like him get arresting for staging a death in the last episode.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I was very sad at the end when Sherlock told his NA meeting that he had nothing to say at that time. He had succeeded in getting the selfish cheater guy to take down the website, but Sherlock still felt his anonymity was violated, and he had become acutely aware that he "stands out from the crowd" at a meeting designed for him to feel anonymous.

Yes, that was a sad, bad moment.  As a rather extreme introvert, I can relate completely to his reaction.  Trust violated like that would mean I'd never open my mouth again in front of people.  

• Love 7

Loved this ep touching back to his meetings and his sobriety.  While I'm sure we are not supposed to believe it's easy for him, we rarely see the struggle to stay sober and I always appreciate it when we do.  I'm hoping this touches off something that brings Watson back to him.....I hate this coolness between them, even as i enjoy his relationship with Kitty.

I felt like the Mr Riggs being Six was a shout out to Friday Night Lights. :)

• Love 4

Loved the episode but I am really tired of the continued distance between Watson and Sherlock.  Watson, stop preferring to work separately.

I don't think she did.  There were plenty of times when she was at the brownstone.  The major time they split up was when they were searching for Bouros and "6".

Very nice ep.  I liked it.

• Love 1

Great episode -- and a perfect example of why I stay with this show. It's often a simple, if smart, procedural, but then every once in awhile there will be these odd beautiful little character moments -- like Sherlock's weirdly moving little speech to Watson last week about her relationships, or his intense confrontation with the website guy from his meeting this week.

Speaking of which, I was so happy to see the added focus on Gregson and Bell, and that final call for the officer was quietly moving.

I also continue to really like Kitty, and I like what she brings to the show, although part of me does mourn because I do feel she's getting the little moments of friendship and intimacy with Sherlock that we used to get between Sherlock and Watson. But with that said, I liked this episode, and I do think the team's dynamics are pretty interesting and watchable.

JLM was absolutely superb in this episode, as well. I love the intensity he brings to his quieter scenes.

• Love 6

I can sort of understand Holmes freaking out about Watson's stories, but this was an anonymous blog. I'm not trying to invalidate his feelings but I do disagree with them. Only people who had physically been in meetings with him were ever likely to recognize his rhetorical style, out of the very few who were apt to stumble onto the site in the first place. But it was distressing that it prevented him from speaking in meetings.

I'm realizing that without the intensity of the personal life concerns (like Sherlock's sobriety) and the deeper relationship between the characters (like Joan and Sherlock when they lived and worked side by side), this show is just another procedural to me.

I often don't bother to watch my recording for days, so I guess my interest has waned as well. I pretty much don't care about the cases, but the lives of the characters keep me invested enough not to abandon the show entirely.

• Love 1
I can sort of understand Holmes freaking out about Watson's stories, but this was an anonymous blog. I'm not trying to invalidate his feelings but I do disagree with them. Only people who had physically been in meetings with him were ever likely to recognize his rhetorical style, out of the very few who were apt to stumble onto the site in the first place.

I disagree and to an extent I think the episode already established his concern was a valid one. Kitty stumbled upon the blog and immediately identified things he had said/would say. Yes, she herself is in a group (and thus I suppose more likely to come across such a blog if she were looking for support type things?), but she's not from the same group. I think anyone who spent enough time with Sherlock to be familiar with his style of speaking, upon reading that blog could easily wonder if it were him, or come to the conclusion it might be/probably were, not limited to people who'd been in meetings with him. Even if they were wrong in surmising it were him, they're still right since someone was quoting him. He was very much exposed, even if a casual person couldn't for sure pin down the anonymous poster. And he works with many in law enforcement so if one of them saw it and surmised it was him, that's a whole different kettle of fish. For anyone who wants privacy, putting their words on the internet is not a smart move. Once could also accuse the other guy of plagiarism, although not without ruining one's own anonymity. There are many levels of wrong to what that other guy did, not at all limited to "would anyone even notice or know it was Sherlock's words".

• Love 4

I had the same confusion at first too. Loved the Final Call, but is this really a police practice or did it just come out of the fertile imaginations of the show's writers?

Many departments do have this practice, for firefighters also.  Even some military units have a similar procedure.  Absolutely gut wrenching in person :-(

• Love 6

without the intensity of the personal life concerns (like Sherlock's sobriety) and the deeper relationship between the characters (like Joan and Sherlock when they lived and worked side by side), this show is just another procedural

... and a boring one at that when you add Kitty in - don't like or dislike her, just makes me completely tune-off her scenes, not sure why. I fell asleep again half way into this epi... New season seems very disjointed. Last call was soooo sobering, especially when the next thing said was about being vigilant about police being targeted. I liked that part.

Officer Alec Flynn the first shot cop, having a toy pellet gun in his holster, made me wonder about the wife,Brie,setting him up? Then I thought if he had a kid, did they change it playing with dad's weapon? But then we find out he swapped it for drugs. The number 6 was interesting. It wasn't Sherlock that figured it out, but he kept stressing over that person. Watson figuring it was a football thing, and I guess the picture was Flynn? It turned out to be Charlie Riggs, a kicker from his school team. I guess the wife saying Alec was a gym rat, and played sports played right into that. Trying to give us clues. I also liked Joan telling how NY had outlawed real looking toy guns. But New Jersey still allowed it. Doesn't make sense to let some still make them and some not?

It was to bad that Officer Alec Flynn had to go so low(selling his gun) to stay on Oxy, before he could beat it. And double bad that he lost his life when he was trying to right a wrong by telling Niko he was through. If he had arrested him and faced the consequences of the drug use and weapons selling, there would be at least 2 more Officers alive today. Was Flynn hoping that Buros would just go away? Maybe his buddy Riggs the dealer would go away, but how would he explain the "loss" of his weapon? Just report it had been stolen/lost somehow? He put himself and others in danger at any call. Even at a Bodega robbery or domestic. Someone could be shooting with real bullets and all Flynn had was a pellet gun.

I could see after the 2nd Officer Casey Hatem(If I remember right) was murdered, and his Uncle Miles Polano, was asked about the connection between the 2 slain officers. I could see why he was hostile. But at first I thought he was the link. Then we find out that the gun collection at the armory was the link. Flynn was selling them to Buros and replacing them with pellet guns. I would think that would be found out quite quick. Between the guns being used for trainings and all the cameras that should be around it. But Flynn was desperate for money to buy oxy. I wondered if the white fibers on the bullets would help find the killer/location. So Niko and team were hiding guns in furniture to ship to a Cartel?

Holmes was very good at his AA/NA meeting. I thought at first the guy,George, that talked to him was the one using his stuff for the "BrainAttic" help site. But with nudging by Kitty, Holmes confronted Daren. He didn't want to take down the site, it was actually helping people. It helped him when he lost his mom and almost went back to using. But it made it hard for Sherlock to express his feelings. You saw that at the end when he just sat and listened instead of contributed. It was nice how Sherlock used Daren's little body signs to tell he was having an affair. That reminds me of the first season. maybe at a later date he will let it go back up. Kitty found later the site only said,"I'm sorry!" He does have good insights and a way with words but Daren should have asked first.

It was so moving to see all the Officers, Detectives and Law Enforcement waiting outside of Niko Buros room as Detective Bell led him out in Officer Casey Hatem's cuffs,(I think he was the 2nd murdered cop). It reminded me of a Blue Bloods episode. He wasn't so cocky then. The "Knock Knock" text was cute.

Always like to see Joan Watson and Detective Bell work together. Did we hear if Andrew made it home for the dinner Joan had made?

Would not mind them working with ATF Agent Hernan again

• Love 1

I also continue to really like Kitty, and I like what she brings to the show, although part of me does mourn because I do feel she's getting the little moments of friendship and intimacy with Sherlock that we used to get between Sherlock and Watson.

I don't dislike Kitty but I do have this same reaction, granted this is my first year watching but it's obvious that she's taking scenes away that would normally be shared with Holmes and Watson.  Also, until this week it seemed more common that Kitty was making important discoveries than Joan.  I don't see why they  can't reduce Kitty's role and increase the Joan/Sherlock scenes for more balance.

Sherlock's sadness at no longer being anonymous at the group was really well played I agree.

• Love 2

And they looked pretty dead to me, lying there on the floor.  But nobody said they were dead so I assume just injured which is bad enough.

The one Officer by the cage looked like he had grey tape over his mouth. I could not tell if his hands were tied. But the quick flash as the crooks ran out looked like he wasn't moving. Maybe knocked out/drugged?

If cops don't have back-up plans for special occasions (such as funerals, public events, when they know protests are coming) they should have.  If they don't have enough officers, call out the national guard to do the back-up work, such as in this case, guarding all targetable points.  Hope this was just for plot purposes!

I would not think all Officers would be allowed to go at the same time to the sevices. They might have State Police/Sheriffs Deputies from other counties fill in. Also maybe other Restricted Officers, Administrators, Meter Maids, Court Officers, etc. to cover. There definately would be a town full of Police, Fire, Emergency, Military Personel from other areas there for the services. So even if Buros got away with it, he would problably be tracked down, like he was. Or seen on the street.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 2

If you haven't seen this episode yet, you might want to do it soon before CBS pulls it for good.

The actions today in Brooklyn, NY, where a man ambushed 2 police officers and killed them, was eerily similar to a situation that happened in this particular episode. I haven't heard if CBS has received any backlash yet, but I'd imagine it's on their minds.

• Love 1
The actions today in Brooklyn, NY, where a man ambushed 2 police officers and killed them, was eerily similar to a situation that happened in this particular episode. I haven't heard if CBS has received any backlash yet, but I'd imagine it's on their minds.

All due respect, there is nothing "eerily similar" about what happened on the show and in Brooklyn today. One was a robbery, the other an act of a madman. Why would CBS receive a backlash over an incident that happened AFTER the episode aired? One thing has nothing to do with the other.

On topic: I was very sad to see that Sherlock chose not to speak after the meeting.

• Love 1

All due respect, there is nothing "eerily similar" about what happened on the show and in Brooklyn today. One was a robbery, the other an act of a madman. Why would CBS receive a backlash over an incident that happened AFTER the episode aired? One thing has nothing to do with the other.

On topic: I was very sad to see that Sherlock chose not to speak after the meeting.

I wasn't referring to the robbery scene. CBS might pull the episode on their own without any backlash. Removing it from VOD, their streaming app, future rerun schedule, etc...

• Love 1
I wasn't referring to the robbery scene.

Then I'm confused. If you weren't referring to the robbery in the show, then what was "eerily similar" about the most recent episode and the murder of the police today in Brooklyn? What have I misunderstood?

In any case, I think removing the episode would make no sense. 

• Love 1

Then I'm confused. If you weren't referring to the robbery in the show, then what was "eerily similar" about the most recent episode and the murder of the police today in Brooklyn? What have I misunderstood?

In any case, I think removing the episode would make no sense. 

The scene where the guy walks up to the patrol car and fires point blank at the cop in the driver's seat.

Just like what happened today, except that it was 2 policemen sitting in their patrol car who were killed.

• Love 1

I actually completely missed that somehow. Regardless, by that logic, virtually all of the Law & Order episodes should be removed. I don't know why there would be a "backlash" since the incident happened after the episode.

Regardless, should you wish to discuss this further, let me know where you want to move it to. The discussion is well beyond the realm of this episode.

• Love 1

Thanks to those who let us know the "last call" is an actual tradition. I was wondering, especially because it was just so heart-breaking. 

I was also moved by the large number of police officers standing at attention as the killer was finally brought to justice. It gave me chills. (And I had to laugh a little at the startled look on the perp's face as soon as he came out and saw them. Pretty scary, no doubt!)

Speaking of scary... I think it was probably wise that Sherlock handled his own issue with the other AA member; going by how she "handled" things for Captain Gregson's daughter, Kitty probably would have terrified the guy.

And I liked how fiercely Sherlock believed in the anonymity of the meetings and in caring about everyone's sobriety. He wouldn't have cared so hard (about everyone else's sobriety) back in season 1. It shows some interesting growth in his character.

I don't know why there would be a "backlash" since the incident happened after the episode.

If there were to be "backlash," wouldn't it be because they could say the episode influenced the killer, inspiring him or her to commit the incident in a way similar to the episode? If the incident came before the episode, the media could simply say the showrunners were borrowing from "real life events," which would be bad taste. Either way, it's not great when these kinds of things happen at the same time a TV show comes out with a similar episode.

That said, however, it makes for potentially interesting TV show fodder - I could see an episode of Elementary or a cop show like L&O tackling a story where a suspect was inspired by something they saw or read. Though I can't think of any off the top of my head, I'm sure it's been done many times on various shows by now.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

Speaking of scary... I think it was probably wise that Sherlock handled his own issue with the other AA member; going by how she "handled" things for Captain Gregson's daughter, Kitty probably would have terrified the guy.

And you think Sherlock didn't terrify the guy?  It was clear to me that Sherlock was saying "Take the site down or I will destroy you."  Jonny Lee Miller seemed almost feral in that scene. 

As for as the NYPD officers getting murdered, that can't be blamed on Elementary, even if it actually turns out we learn that the guy watched this episode and went off.  Something was always going to set that guy.  You can't blame Jodie Foster for John Hinckley Jr, but you can and should blame her for Nym's Island.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

And you think Sherlock didn't terrify the guy?

Oh, I'm sure he did. I'm just saying that Kitty's approach probably would have been violent. Sherlock's was menacing in a different way. (And I liked it, because it showed Sherlock still has some bite. As possibilities said above, the show has been feeling like a regular procedural lately, so it's great when we see some of Sherlock's unique qualities come forth. Now I'd just like them to return to a closer relationship between him and Joan, and I'll be happier with the overall show. It's boring with them so general with each other these days.)

As for as the NYPD officers getting murdered, that can't be blamed on Elementary, even if it actually turns out we learn that the guy watched this episode and went off.  Something was always going to set that guy.

Agreed. I was just explaining to the other poster who didn't seem to understand why the media might stir up a backlash when an incident happens not long after a similarly-approached TV episode airs. I don't think it would the TV show's fault -- like you say, something was always going to set off the killer -- I'm just saying that's what the media would take and run with ad infinitum.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Thanks to those who let us know the "last call" is an actual tradition. I was wondering, especially because it was just so heart-breaking....

I knew it was real because I'd seen it on another show where another poster had verified it. I'm not sure, but maybe Southland?
  • Love 2

Well, friends, this is why you never leave your browser open unattended. Someone thought it would be funny to post as me. I didn't make any of yesterday's posts and have changed my password. Mods, feel free to delete yesterday's posts. 

That said, I don't see any point to removing the episode for any length of time. I could see postponing it if the murders has happened a few days before out of respect, but not now. L&O literally promoted its stories as "ripped from the headlines".

I pray for the families of the officers murdered yesterday.

And you think Sherlock didn't terrify the guy?  It was clear to me that Sherlock was saying "Take the site down or I will destroy you."  Jonny Lee Miller seemed almost feral in that scene.

Well, remember that he was prepared to torture a man to death not long ago.

Edited by basil
  • Love 1

One thing I loved was the way Sherlock sat down in the chair after dealing with the Brainattic guy.  Jonny Lee Miller seemed to break the action in several very precise, discrete movements, like it was Sherlock's way of reasserting his civilized side after showing his intellectual ferocity.

• Love 4