Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E10: Amy Adams / One Direction

• Start Topic

Jenny and Nasim never quite had that in their impressions. I agree with the point you're making, but I still felt like her Hoda was an integral part of what made the first couple iterations of that sketch work.

That's a fair point.  I did feel Michaela's contribution was solid, and after she left it was lot more All Kathie Lee all the time.  It was tolerable with her, excruciating after her. 

But the fact they felt they could just replace someone in what's supposed to be a two hander is relatively unheard of.  It's happened in bigger group settings like the View and the Superfans, but not very often if ever in what is essentially a pair plus guest host.

• Love 1

As for why she was there for Amy Adams...

I remember reading somewhere that Lorne has always said the Christmas show is open for any and all alumni who wish to be there.  That's probably why she was in the building.  I don't know that everyone who comes gets written into the show, but considering how fond Lorne is of her, I'm not really surprised.   I think this is the first Christmas episode in several years that I haven't seen Amy Poehler there. 

One thing they didn't address/forgot to address/wasn't aware TO address about Asian American doll is the actual stereotype of Asian women being obsessed with fashion/shopping.  The joke among my circle (well, those who're also of East Asian descent, anyway) is that walking around the mall is our ethnic pastime/gym membership. Also, a luxury department store in Canada has a Chinese edition of their magazine in addition to English and French.  I guess this stereotype is pretty much unknown in the US? 

Since I can't watch this while it airs, I missed a few sketches that aren't online. Overall, what I saw wasn't great. Martin Freeman's show set the bar, though. I really love Amy Adams and I agree with others that she was barely in the show. 

I probably wouldn't mind Wiig showing up (not Armisen, I've never been a fan) if she curtailed it to once a season and only one appearance, instead of multiple sketches. I'm really annoyed about it this season because I think the cast is good and is gelling very well, and she's taking up someone else's spot when she's on the show. 

I thought the Cuba sketch was horrendous, and maybe I'm projecting but it seemed halfway through the performers realized it wasn't working and then they rushed through the rest. I usually hate Girlfriends Talkshow, but I thought this one was the best one they did, mostly because while Morgan always comes off as pathetic and Cecily's character is the supposed cool girl, you just know in five years Morgan is still going to be awkward but at least she'll be making smart choices.  I also liked that she finally had someone take a bit of interest in her. This is the first time in that sketch that I didn't dislike Cecily's character but actually felt sorry for her (and feared for her). Still, I'll be fine if they never do that again. 

I never heard of Serial but that sketch still worked. The raccoons were good, too. Kyle's growing on me--I didn't like him last season but he seems to be finding himself as a performer. 

Serial - I've heard of it, but haven't listened to it. The sketch was still funny as it reminded a lot of This American Life. The music playing under it, Cecily's cadence while speaking, the way they tried to reenact stuff.

I groaned when Kristen Wiig came out, not because I hate her, but because I knew I'd hop on here and read all the hate.

• Love 3

I've noticed how tight the sketches have become this season. 

I was one of the few people who really enjoyed a lot of last season (at least the first half...the Olympics and Seth's departure wrecked havoc with the second half), but I'll admit the show was much more uneven. This season, I don't feel like skits drag as much and it helps a lot. (I don't know if this has actually translated into more, shorter, skits but it kind of feels that way for me.

Also, the live skits are really accelerating. Last year there was a noticeable divide between the quality of the pre-taped bits and the live skits. This year they're all over the live skits. Raccoons had me laughing the whole way through for its sheer absurdity, and then the pay-off. Oh my! And Christmas Swetpants. There's a skit that would have dragged last year, and this year hit through the whole thing.

I was okay with the singing monologue, it was Christmas, and with how crappy the news has been, a song from a talented performer was welcome. Then, screech. Garth and Kat, I did find amusing, watching Michael Che interact off of them. And Weekend Update continues to improve for me. Colin is letting the Seth persona go, and embracing the White Nerd Persona. And the more Michael gets to monologue, the better in my opinion. He's a talented stand up, and that's where his comfort zone lies. The earlier he gets that in a show, the better. Also, two Cosby digs, and both landed!

I enjoyed the sad holiday host guy, then tMike Meyers appeared and I thought the show crashed.  Nobody was laughing, his timing was awful -- it's OVER, Mike.  Then Amy, who I like, and again the show came to a screeching halt when Kristen (who I like) appeared.  Garth and Kat just sealed the deal.   It's like they're high school students who graduated but don't stop showing up to holiday concerts and homecoming games.  

I hadn't seen the cat ladies the first time around, so it was new to me and I liked it.  And the raccoon sketch had me mildly amused, but it had a great payoff.  

Asian doll bit for the win, though.

In that case, I wonder if this blind is about Kristin Wiig - http://blindgossip.com/?p=68390

Wow, how embarrassing. She's a talented, attractive woman, But comes off so desperate in everything she does. I think someone nailed it above: I think Kate has the same sort of talent, with the added benefit of being a great team player. I liked Kristin early on, but I have a low threshold for intentional scene-stealers and "look at me! look at me!" mugging. Sorry to anyone who is her fan, but she's just freaking exhausting and brought the show to a screeching halt -- a show she's no longer even on.

This crew had a bit of a rough start this season, but with the Blue Light and Raccoon sketches, I feel there's lots of promise. Too often SNL sketches are just weird without any point or punchline, and so often end abruptly or peter out. This group knows how to craft a sketch with a beginning, middle, and end. And that's the way to craft something satisfying. Sketches don't always need to produce belly-laughs; sometimes a great punchline can really elevate a sketch. In other words, good storytelling. Hope they continue with this style.

• Love 4

That was pretty good.  I can only guess that the length was an issue.  I like that Pete is obviously getting the hang of writing material.  Some newbies really struggle there.

FWIW, Courtney Love was also at the show and posted a picture on her twitter hanging out with One Direction at the afterparty. 

Edited by vb68

I like that Pete is obviously getting the hang of writing material.  Some newbies really struggle there.

Yeah as Pete is filling the niche as the "young guy" which is a rare but good role to have on the show.  Like Andy Samberg, Jimmy Fallon, and Adam Sandler before him.

• Love 1

Why does Cecily Strong have to feature prominently in almost every sketch every week, while Kate McKinnon is seriously under-used?

(Now that I've noticed that 90% of Cecily's characters are different ways she can make her voice nasal, I can't not hear it.)

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 1

Why does Cecily Strong have to feature prominently in almost every sketch every week, while Kate McKinnon is seriously under-used?

(Now that I've noticed that 90% of Cecily's characters are different ways she can make her voice nasal, I can't not hear it.)

I thought Kate was used a lot this week and last week. Complaining about Cecily's nasal voice is like complaining about Kate's "crazy eyes". Not much they can do about it except adjust the intensity.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
That was pretty good.  I can only guess that the length was an issue.  I like that Pete is obviously getting the hang of writing material.  Some newbies really struggle there.

I like him a lot. I wish they'd use him a bit more because he's very solid. 

I'll only be game for another singing monolog with Kristen if Elton John hosts again and the song is "The Bitch Is Back."

I really liked the raccoons sketch and "Whiskers R We," but the rest of the show bounced between uninteresting and actively off-putting to me. It's a shame, I really like Amy Adams and wish she'd been featured more prominently in the other skits.

Edited by Bruinsfan

I didn't think he didn't know how to pronounce it. I thought he just basically read it wrong and then it was too late and it already bombed.

Idk, I think he could have corrected himself. Plenty of WU anchors have misspoke, it happens, and they'll backpedal and try again. Either he didn't know how to pronounce the word (which is whatever, but someone should have told him after dress) or he just doesn't give a fuck, which is kind of the vibe I've been getting from him. Maybe it's supposed to be part of his "character," but it's almost a little too sincere. Like idk, he just seems like he shows up for ten minutes a week, rushes through the segment, and then goes home. Idk a better way to articulate it, but he just looks like he wants to get tf out of there asap. Perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't there because I really don't like the guy, and maybe it's unfair for me to judge his performance based on stuff he says on social media on his own time. But that's also his fault for not employing a filter in the first place.

I thought Kate was used a lot this week and last week. Complaining about Cecily's nasal voice is like complaining about Kate's "crazy eyes". Not much they can do about it except adjust the intensity.

If Cecily's nasal voice is the price we have to pay for Kate's crazy eyes, I will take extra helpings of both.

• Love 2

Idk, I think he could have corrected himself. Plenty of WU anchors have misspoke, it happens, and they'll backpedal and try again.

He could have corrected himself--if he knew he'd made a mistake. That's the part that worries me--that he didn't know. That he looked at the word "sedative" on a cue card and didn't know better than to think the correct pronunciation was seh-DAY-tive. 

Of course I don't know this to be true, but like you, I'm going from the vibe I got.

Mrs. Stone wanted to rewind and look at the moment again but I couldn't bear to. Any more than I could bear to rewatch footage of a man being decapitated.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

or he just doesn't give a fuck, which is kind of the vibe I've been getting from him.

I think he tries hard to project that and for the most part, I believed he felt that way.  But you know what?  I think he betrayed himself a little when he referenced the heat he got from the internet.  That told me he cares quite a bit.

He could have corrected himself--if he knew he'd made a mistake. That's the part that worries me--that he didn't know. That he looked at the word "sedative" on a cue card and didn't know better than to think the correct pronunciation was seh-DAY-tive. 

Of course I don't know this to be true, but like you, I'm going from the vibe I got.

Mrs. Stone wanted to rewind and look at the moment again but I couldn't bear to. Any more than I could bear to rewatch footage of a man being decapitated.

Oh, I understand. The point I was trying to make was that it could have been fixable, whether by him or someone else. If he knew he had mispronounced the word, it was on him to go back and try again. Yes, it's awkward, but it happens. If he didn't know he was mispronouncing it, that probably means he mispronounced it during dress, and someone should have taken him aside and let him know.

I don't mean to keep harping on this because on its own, it's really not a big deal (also it's usually the little details that stick out to me the most). But it doesn't help his case with someone like me, who is already struggling to like him. He just has a very "I can't be arsed" vibe about him that seriously bugs, and that just added to it (assuming he does know how to pronounce "sedative").

And yeah, lol, I can't go back to watch it again either. I'm allergic to secondhand embarrassment.

For what it's worth, I don't hear nasal in Cecily's natural speaking voice. It's that her go-to for most character voices is to make her voice nasal. Drunk Girl at the party, Girlfriends Talk Show, etc. It's like she rarely has more than two ways to change her voice: go really nasal, or deepen it ( Troll Sketch, the insulting coworkers with Danny). My complaint isn't that the nasal voice is annoying. My complaint is that it's repetitive and boring.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

For what it's worth, I don't hear nasal in Cecily's natural speaking voice.

Me either. Actually I think her normal voice can be great, especially when she does voiceovers. I adore her VO work in that CVS Valentines ad. Also the Your Hometown ad.

I was in CVS the other day when one of their ads came on over the speakers. I hadn't realized until that moment how precisely Cecily had nailed it.

Edited by 3dog
  • Love 1

For what it's worth, I don't hear nasal in Cecily's natural speaking voice. It's that her go-to for most character voices is to make her voice nasal. Drunk Girl at the party, Girlfriends Talk Show, etc. It's like she rarely has more than two ways to change her voice: go really nasal, or deepen it ( Troll Sketch, the insulting coworkers with Danny). My complaint isn't that the nasal voice is annoying. My complaint is that it's repetitive and boring.

Point taken, but at least she can change her voice, as opposed to Kenan who is always sounds the same no matter who he plays and really does seem to be in practically every sketch! Somebody posted earlier that one of the writers says they love using him  because he's a guaranteed laugh-getter(and I admit he does occasionally get a chuckle from me) but that's no excuse. Write a better sketch without using Kenan as a crutch.

Edited by VCRTracking

Fred and Kristen - you're both incredibly talented (really - you're great in Portlandia and The Skeleton Twins), but how can we miss you if you won't go away?

I disagree aboutt Fred.   I miss him and all his characters!

Every once in awhile a sketch comes along that really restores my faith in SNL's ability to stay fresh and current in their satire, and Serial was that sketch for me this season so far. Just incredible. Everything was so pitch perfect, right down to the Gutierrez impression. "Whhhatttt?"

As far as i am concerned, Kristen Wiig can come back any time she likes. There is a reason why lorne considers her top 3 cast member ever -  she is the best of the best. Kristen can be part of an ensemble -  there is a really sweet sketch with all the girls singing on Anna Faris' episode, there is the Hat sketch with Amy Poehler, there is the dating sketch from her own hosting show. But the fact is that if you let Wiig do her thing she WILL get laughs. She has the ability to elevate even shitty writing. 

She and Amy are friends too, so that might be why she was back there, doing her a favor.

That blind item is the biggest crock i have ever read. Who believes that crap?