Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

I was once "cited" for not smiling while walking through the French Quarter.

I've been in New Orleans in the week leading up to Mardi Gras -- during the Carnival season but not on the day itself. I saw one of the minor krewe parades. It wasn't too terribly wild, but the parade passed right in front of my hotel and I watched it standing next to the hotel doorman, so I was in a safe zone. I did have a weird experience when I was eating dinner earlier that evening as the crowds were starting to gather on the sidewalk. The hotel's restaurant had windows facing the sidewalk, and I got a table by the window. I was eating when there was a tap on the window and I looked up, expecting to see one of the other people on my team (I was there for a trade show, and my company's reps were all at that hotel), but it was some guy who then proceeded to lick the window right by my face.

My parents are from Louisiana, but up north, which is a totally different world from New Orleans.

Two words:  New Orleans.

But Uptown is so much cooler than the Quarter.  I live near the original home of Mardi Gras, Mobile, and ride in a Mardi Gras krewe there. Magazine and St. Charles are much more fun to me than Bourbon, particularly the little local bars.  And as a semi-local, I don't think I ever care to be in NOLA on Fat Tuesday.  St. Patrick's however is a blast, as the parades throw cabbages, carrots, potatoes, among other things (like the bottle of KY I caught one time attached to a bead.)

Boston or Toronto? Uh no. I don't have much pride, but I have enough to not do that. ;) On the other hand, I am also a Detroit Lions fan so I do kind of sympathize with the losers in Toronto.

Got to love the Toronto fans at the start of every season.  They are so endearing with their we will not only make the playoffs but also win the cup.  I've always had a soft spot for the Wings, Konstantinov was just my favorite player after Bure.

• Love 1

Sorry to double post but this afternoon I discovered that someone had run over my apple trees. The area at the back of my yard is kind of tucked away so I was likely the neighbor behind me. I think it is really bad form to destroy the apple trees of a Once Upon a Time fan. I WAS Snow White but I can feel Regina taking over. 

These trees arrived in late April as long sticks. I planted them May 2nd and they leafed out beatifully. The neighborhood critters didn't seem to bother them and I easily took care of a small moth problem. It looks like the someone rode a 4 wheeler or yard tractor trough the back corner of my yard and wallowed around pushing dirt into piles. Three trees are completely gone. One tree was seriously whipped around but the trunk is intact and there are still some leaves. Two of my 6 trees were untouched. 

I am furious and laughing at myself over the Once comparisons at the same time. I'm also ready to cry because this week was already so tough. My sisters and I have been working our butts off to prepare our father's house for an estate sale this coming weekend. Then last Thursday my husband was laid off. It just sucks.

Sorry to double post but this afternoon I discovered that someone had run over my apple trees.

What did you do to piss off Emma? Oh wait, that was a chainsaw. :-)

But really, that sucks. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you could do accidentally, so someone was either deliberately nasty or incredibly thoughtless. I suggest mining that part of the yard (not digging for gold or fairy dust diamonds, but planting pressure-sensitive explosives).

The area where the I planted the apple trees was really overgrown when we moved in. Our tree guy said they found a leg trap back there. The trap was very old and rusted closed but I wonder if there has been other trouble with the neighbors. 

I have been reminded by more than one friend that traps are not legal. 

• Love 1

Put a game cam up back there somewhere discreet and catch them next time. 

And then either turn them in to the police or rip their heart out and use it to have them parade around naked in public.

Edited by Crimson Belle
  • Love 1

I sent my Charming to talk to them. Turns out the two houses behind us had a company working in their yards. They messed up several things about this project and had used my yard to dispose of some unneeded soil. 

Regina is standing down and I stopped crying. They'll replace my trees. 

• Love 6

Yuck. Glad there at least replacing them. My mom had that happen to her garden once. The neighbors were getting new bushes put in and the people either torn up the flowers or replanted them somewhere else randomly in the yard. Same deal though -- they came out and fixed it. Still doesn't change the fact that all the work you put in is gone. :-(

Man, I'm really sad about the death of Robin Williams. It goes to show that celebrities are people, too, and we never know what's really going on inside another person's head or heart. I think a lot of comedians go into comedy to deal with or mask an inner pain or sadness.

"Oh Captain! My Captain!"

• Love 1

MedievalGirl, I'm so sorry about your trees. I'm glad they're being replaced.

You guys, I cannot even about Robin Williams. Suffice it to say that all through school I was Mindy because of him (and because of my HS sweetheart/asshat who was Mork). I can't stop crying. Honestly, I think I'm a little depressed, which is probably understandable, given job loss and family loss, but it still hurts.

That said, I have a  little good news. I hope it is okay to post it here. I currently have a few sites bidding on my wordiness. I don't, for a second, want to take away a thing from Previously.TV, because it has been a godsend to us. Selfishly, as a human person who needs money for stuff, I don't see me fitting in here. Glark, Wing, and Sars are brilliant (and more brilliant than I). I just want a job in a place where I fit. To have 2 places reach out to me, this week, after months of inertia, felt like a damned good thing. I would never want you to turn your eyes or page views from P.TV, but I do hope that if I land at one or two of the places seeking me out, that you'll read me after you read P.TV.

• Love 12

Deeply saddened that Robin Williams died. Woke up to the news. And am mostly at a loss for words. What a great artist and man, I'm thankful for all the laughs and thoughtful moments he gave us. Feeling for his family.

Good Luck! 

I've cried probably about five times since I heard the news yesterday. There's a roundup of messages from costars, friends, and admiriers here if you need your heart broken further.

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear that we may soon have your wonderful words again. If there was ever a day to hear some good news, this is one. Much love!

I've been volunteering this week at a children's music and art camp (getting the kindergarteners from session to session, which is like herding squirrels), and one of the teenage boys who was working with the older kids was named Killian. I hadn't run across him during the week because I was too busy chasing around small children, but in the final assembly the director was asking some of the teenagers to help with something, and I did a double-take when I heard the name "Killian."

And this kid actually looked not too far from what a teenaged Hook might have looked like -- similar build (though I imagine he'll end up being taller) and dark hair. I didn't get close enough to see his eye color because he was wearing glasses and I didn't want to be creepy and gaze into the eyes of a kid young enough to be my child. He was pretty cute, the "cool nerd" type that we didn't have any of in my hometown when I was a teenager but that seems to abound in this town.

Meanwhile, Frozen fever continues to rage. One of my kindergarten boys was wearing an Olaf t-shirt the other day (it said "I'm so hot, I'm ice cold"), and when we were in the singing session and the director asked what their favorite song was, all the girls shouted "Let it Go!" Two girls were making plans for a playdate in which they'd watch Frozen 300 times (I'm sure their mothers would be thrilled to hear that).

• Love 1

I watched Frozen, at last. And I honestly don't understand how it had such a success? Tangled is by far better, anyway for me, and not only for the romance, but because it's funny and I still laugh even after having watched it many times!

Actually, Tangled is my favourite Disney, Sleeping Beauty is second and Cinderella and Fantasia share the third position.

I think the big reason for it's success is the ending. The princess was saved by her sister! Yeah! Plus, talking snowman.

It's strange because I do consider myself a feminist but there is something about Sleeping Beauty that makes it my favorite Disney film, second is Tangled.

• Love 1

My daughter worked with kindergartners this past year in an Americorps job and she confirms the Frozen craze -- boys and girls belting out songs and reenacting scenes.  I finally watched it a few months ago after hearing so much and liked it generally (and was bored through some of it), but honestly still don't understand the mania.  But then I'm not 4 years old.  I still don't get exactly what engages the little kids so very much.  I suspect they're watching it over and over at home.

But then I'm not 4 years old.  I still don't get exactly what engages the little kids so very much.  I suspect they're watching it over and over at home.

This could also be a big reason. You never realize just how big these Disney movies are marketed until you have kids who watch these movies. Although I was that age in the '80s when a VCR was a luxury item and Disney had nothing of anything except the same old movies coming back to the theater every few years -- I saw Snow White at a movie theater in fact! I feel like I missed out now or something. I wanted to be ridiculously marketed to when I was four years old too! Boo.

Of course, we did eventually get a VCR and my parents recorded Splash off of HBO for me because hey, it had a mermaid! I watched that movie everyday for three weeks before my mom finally put her foot down. Still have no idea what they were thinking with that one. It was a romantic comedy and I was eight!

I don't get the Frozen mania, either. It was entertaining enough, but nothing special in the Disney pantheon, IMO, beyond the sister thing. Even the songs weren't that catchy to me. (The Little Mermaid still wears the song crown for me.)

Edited by Souris

I'm glad I'm not alone. I think Frozen is cute, but nothing more. The only thing I actually liked was that it was the love between sisters what saved Anna and not a romantic love. Lilo and Stitch also has that sisterly love and is so funny and sweet.

I don't get the Frozen mania, either. It was entertaining enough, but nothing special in the Disney pantheon, IMO, beyond the sister thing. Even the songs weren't that catchy to me. (The Little Mermaid still wears the song crown for me.)

Love "The Little Mermaid," and I'd put "Part of Your World" against "Let it Go" any day, although I do kind of think one thing that gives "Frozen" an advantage is that, IMO at least, Idina Menzel blows Jodi Benson out of the water. Then again, I have a friend/fellow musical theater geek who thinks Idina is much too affected/tries way too hard to sound like Streisand when she sings, so as with anything, YMMV. One point in "Little Mermaid"'s favor: Sebastian the Crab is a much better character than Olaf the Snowman. Yes, I have kids and I know all these characters.

Then again, I have a friend/fellow musical theater geek who thinks Idina is much too affected/tries way too hard to sound like Streisand when she sings, so as with anything, YMMV.

I think Idina Menzel is highly overrated. Her technique isn't all that great -- she spreads her vowels, and she can get pretty nasal. She just about ruined the concert version of Chess.

I think a lot of the appeal of Frozen for little girls is the combination of visuals and song for the "Let it Go" sequence -- a big, anthemic song combined with visuals of building a pretty ice palace and creating a fancy dress, and since really little kids don't care much for romance, they got a cool character to identify with without having that icky kissing stuff. As an adult, I kind of missed the romance and wished they'd developed things a little more with Kristoff and maybe had given him at least one decent song or duet. I loved the fact that the guy with the insta-love turned out to be the villain, but it irked me that the villain got the big romantic duet without the good guy getting much of anything, especially since they bothered to hire a big Broadway singer to play Kristoff.

Tangled is probably my favorite of the more recent movies. It was a fun romantic adventure, though the music was pretty weak. I loved Beauty and the Beast, but they underutilized the voice talent (but made up for that by adding some songs for the Beast in the Broadway version). Of the classic era, Sleeping Beauty is by far my favorite. There was some action, more humor -- and the main characters got to have a sense of humor -- and gorgeous music. I might still have a wee bit of a crush on movie Philip.

Tell me about Prince Philip, Shanna Marie! That's why I like Sleeping Beauty so much!

And the reason why Tangled is first (in recent movies) is because I still laugh a lot and because I like the lanterns scene, song and drawings.

Actually, I keep on forgetting that Once is a PG program... Sometimes I wish it was broadcasted later...

I'm ending tomorrow (with Richard Armitage on stage nonetheless!) my weekend in the South of England, visiting Stonehenge and Wells and Salisbury Cathedrals, plus the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey. Words are missing to describe the beautiful buildings. And to listen to a Dies Irae sung by a choral in the Salisbury Cathedral it's an experience that goes beyond words!

A lot of the Frozen appeal is from the songs, mostly Let It Go. There isn't too much buzz about the story or non-Elsa characters. A lot of little girls love dressing as an ice princess and singing. I liked Frozen before it became uber popular, mostly because I'm a Disney fanatic and music lover.

I love the more artsy romantic Disney films, like Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty.

A lot of the Frozen appeal is from the songs, mostly Let It Go. There isn't too much buzz about the story or non-Elsa characters. A lot of little girls love dressing as an ice princess and singing. I liked Frozen before it became uber popular, mostly because I'm a Disney fanatic and music lover.

I love the more artsy romantic Disney films, like Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty.

Replying in Other Fairy Tales.

I've never been a Disney girl. My favourite is 101 Dalmatians (the animated one) because it was the first film I ever saw in a movie theatre. It was a special pass. My brother was crying all time but I loved it, it was the start of my love for movies.

Alex, how I envy you! I love Stonehenge, even if it is smaller than it looks on photos. But it's incredible. When I went there it wad snowing and it wad amazing.

Edited by RadioGirl27
And to listen to a Dies Irae sung by a choral in the Salisbury Cathedral it's an experience that goes beyond words!

Music in a cathedral can be so amazing. I was touring Canterbury Cathedral when the choir was rehearsing. It was a darkish, rainy day and the cathedral was practically empty (I was with a group that got special access during a time it wasn't open to the public -- not sure how that was arranged). We were touring the crypt when this angelic music started floating down. I love English choral music anyway, and in that setting it was spectacular. The rain and dark skies added to the haunting mood. I would love to get to sing in a cathedral like that. The sopranos really ring in that setting with all the stone. It would be like shower singing on steroids. The closest I've come was attending Evensong at Westminster Abbey and doing the congregational singing.

Tonight at Evensong there was a solo soprano with the voice of an angel!

I used to sing in a church choir (or choral? Which is the difference in English?), I heard many good voices, but probably due to the location, this one moved me.

RadioGirl27, I imagined Stonehenge bigger as well. And there were too many tourists. Good experience, but not the best. Nevertheless, the place is rather suggestive.

I used to sing in a church choir (or choral? Which is the difference in English?)

I don't know if there's a technical difference, but in my church, the big choir everyone can join is the "choir," while the smaller ensemble is the "chorale." I think of "chorale" as more of a chamber music ensemble. "Choral" is the adjective used to describe music sung by a choir.

One reason my two daughters love Frozen is that there is something for them both to do. The drama llama 8 year old can belt Let it Go like no one's business but my 4 year old daughter feels like she owns Anna especially the younger parts of Do You Want to Build a Snowman. (And the toddler can be cast as Olaf. I'm Marshmallow the snow monster.) The movie has played many times in my house and I was floored that I like is more and more. 

@Souris It's nice that they are finally releasing "Prairie Girl" since it is the original book that Laura wrote before the publishers made her change it into a less dark and truthful story for the Little House series. If you're interested, there's a Little House readalong going on in the book section and also discussions of the books/show in comparison to the actual reality in the Little House part of this forum. It's interesting reading. I haven't read the books for a long time, but I had no idea Pa was such a shady character in real life. 

• Love 1

Interesting. I know very little about the actual Laura Ingalls Wilder, though I read all the books. I didn't know Pa was actually shady, either! (Though, hmm, come to think of it, did I read something ages ago about him claim-squatting or something? Does that ring a bell?) How very un-Michael Landon as Pa!

So I have a random question that I can only ask strangers because otherwise it gets awkward. Very recently, my brother and his fiancee asked me to be the maid of honor in their wedding which is occurring in about six weeks. The bride has been married before, but this is the first marriage for my brother. My question is whether I am now supposed to plan some sort of girls night for the bride (not a shower, that's right out). Since my brother is still a bachelor, he is getting a night out and I'm not sure if that makes it weird if his girlfriend doesn't get something too even if this is her second go at marriage. Anyone have any ideas on what's appropriate or expected in this situation? Further complications include the fact that I live over a thousand miles away from them and I don't know the bride very well and I don't really think she has many if any of her own friends, so planning is difficult. Am I a horrible person if I don't organize something?

I would say that a thousand mile distance and not knowing her or her friends well takes you off the hook. If anything, maybe if you arrive a day or so before the wedding, you could take her out for lunch or dinner or drinks and do a low-key "getting to know you" thing that's more personal rather than doing a big bash.

• Love 1

Yea, I would say maybe a bridal luncheon the day before the wedding would be a good alternative. The friends she has closer to her can organize a more traditional night out.in the city they live in.

Ugh. I had a mammogram yesterday and just got a call-back to come in for more images. That's happened to me once before and it was fine, but I'm totally freaking out. A good friend and a coworker both had breast cancer last year, so it's very much in my mind.

That's so disquieting, Souris.  It happened many times to me to the point I had to go every 6 months for awhile, and have ultrasounds, but always ended up OK.  It all ended (fingers still crossed) when I started getting digital mammography where they can more easily compare your mammo with past ones and see that the calcifications or whatever haven't changed.  Best of luck!