Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: Yuletide Fortune Tellers

As the holidays approach, Bay bristles at Kathryn’s festive holiday spirit while Daphne is frustrated with Regina’s usual tradition of movies and Chinese food for Christmas. Then, after a joint family dinner including “magical” garlic knots, they wake to discover that the switch never happened.

The episode is already up online and via phones and tablets so discuss away. Beware spoilers will be visible so for those who don't want to see them stay away from this thread.

Since it's up, are we allowed to talk about it? If not, I won't go into too much detail but I thought it was very cute. Can we keep A.J?

Edited by t7686
  • Love 3

Since it's up, are we allowed to talk about it? If not, I won't go into too much detail but I thought it was very cute. Can we keep A.J?

I agree. 

Let's keep A.J. and lose Travis, Tank, Lily, and all the other pointless guest characters.  He fit seamlessly into the Switched at Birth world.  He was seriously great.  Kudos to the actor as well.  It must have been daunting to play a family member of people who have been playing family together for like three plus years now, but he fit in with everyone else perfectly.  It would be great if he could somehow stick around in the real world.  He makes much more sense than some other characters that are still hanging around with really no reason to other than the writers like the actor.

• Love 4

There were many WTF moments, annoying rehashes, and such, but the whole episode was worth it for "Tobias"  generally and his reaction to Bay as Daphne specifically.

And I agree about AJ.  I spent the whole episode wondering how we could keep him.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

I agree. 

Let's keep A.J. and lose Travis, Tank, Lily, and all the other pointless guest characters.  He fit seamlessly into the Switched at Birth world.  He was seriously great.  Kudos to the actor as well.  It must have been daunting to play a family member of people who have been playing family together for like three plus years now, but he fit in with everyone else perfectly.  It would be great if he could somehow stick around in the real world.  He makes much more sense than some other characters that are still hanging around with really no reason to other than the writers like the actor.

Right? Have him show up as Angelo's random son that he didn't know about. It's Angelo, it could have happened lol.

• Love 7

No one caring about AJ made me sad in an otherwise great episode.

Yeah.  It was sad that Bay had no quams about the fact that the switch back was blinking him out of existence.  But I get that this was a cute Christmas/It's a Wonderful Life thing which did not have exploring the moral abiguities of time travel and paralelle universes as its aim.

• Love 1

Emo Toby was definitely the highlight of the episode for me. 

I had trouble believing Emmett would have turned out such a douchenozzle without Daphne (or original flavour Daphne, anyway). 

But mostly, it was a fun, mindless Christmas special, and I can't really complain.

• Love 1

I watched it early. I have no patience.

First of all, I LOVE YOU SaB DON’T EVER LEAVE ME AGAIN.

Ahem. Now that that’s out of the way, what a delightful episode! I missed this damn show. This is the second “what could have been episode” and I thought it was just great. (The first one, with Regina losing custody of both girls, was superlative work.) This one was funny and sweet, nothing truly annoying about it.

I find Katie LeClerc’s non-accented speaking voice kind of sexy. Not sure why.

A.J. was adorable and really looked like Gilles Marini’s Mini-me. There's got to be a way for him to join the "real world" of the show.

LOVED emo Toby. Excuse me, Tobias. And Bay’s horrified disgust at her brother hitting on her.

“I’m Tobias.”
[bay signing to Daphne] “What the hell?”

This was a nice little reprieve before the real season starts and we see the fallout of Bay falling on her sword for Daphne.

• Love 1

I just hope Emmett's earring isn't a real thing and was just an alternate reality accessory...

I also am so incredibly relieved they didn't try to have Bay do any kind of an accent.

Edited by heythere
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this a lot, and I am a total curmudgeon who hates xmas. The show is at its best when it focuses on the family dynamics and not the teen romance stuff.

Though honestly, Tobias was a riot, and that's acting because I never saw chemistry like that between him and Vanessa as Bay.

• Love 1

I specifically came here to say that we need to keep AJ somehow. Dear writers, I know you're reading this. Please make it so that Angelo had an illegitimate son out there. Or a cousin. A much younger brother. There was another kid but Angelo left while she was pregnant and Regina gave him up to hide the truth about the switch. I'd even accept Regina giving birth to twins and forgetting because the hospital screwed that up, too. Let's just figure out a way to keep this kid! He fit in so perfectly, which must have been tough knowing that he would be exiled from the island. Poor AJ, Bay as Daphne didn't mind wishing him away. He was so perfect and he actually looked like Giles.

Good call on the writers for not giving Bay as Daphne an accent. I wasn't a big fan of them saying that Regina just let her have speech therapy, but I'm glad they didn't make Vanessa try to pull that off.

Tobias was GOLD. Lucas Grabeel must have had a blast.

I loved the Regina and Bay as Daphne interactions. It took a Christmas special to get them onscreen together for more than a second.

• Love 2

I watched last week, but I watched it tonight too. 

Count me in as someone who loves AJ as well. The show should find a way to keep him and lose the extraneous characters (we all know who they are).

Toby and Bay was just awkward and not in a good way. I get the joke, but please no. Let's not go there again. 

Emmett's earring LOL. Although not sure I buy that Emmett had no romantic inkling towards Daphne (Bay) but he seemed to feel something after the kiss.

The show does work best when it focuses on both girls instead of pushing one's story (usually Daphne's) ahead of the other's (Bay). And I enjoyed the relationships between Bay and Kathryn and Daphne and Regina. But can real world Regina care about Bay? Please? It bothered me that in the beginning she was all about wanting to ditch the Kennish crew in favor of spending time with Daphne. Which, yes, I get you have traditions and it's not as though John and Kathryn are perfect, but they at least want to spend time with Daphne. This was their first Christmas they were spending together since the switch and Regina could not have cared less about spending it with Bay. I don't know what they are doing with those two. They give them some good moments during the season (when Bay went to Regina after almost sleeping with Tank and then the finale) but then they drop the ball and Regina acts like Bay's a distant cousin.

Regina either doesn't care or she has just de-programmed herself somehow from thinking of Bay as her daughter. But it seems Bay isn't upset about her up and down relationship with Regina so why should I. 

• Love 3

Wow, what a wonderful heartwarming episode.

"Tobias" was a hoot...but the whole hitting in "Daphne(Bay)" was really weird and awkward...

Loved AJ also, wish we could keep him... I co-sign with a long lost son of Angelo

• Love 1

I liked the episode, but kept wondering why this was the first Christmas they were spending together.  Wouldn't they have done that long ago?  I guess I don't know how long it's been since they found out about the switch, but it's been at least a couple of Christmases, hasn't it?

And no mention of Regina and Daphne spending Christmas with Regina's mother?  I thought she lived with them for years after Angelo left.  She didn't want movies and Chinese food?

Story logic aside, Tobias was hilarious, and I agree that AJ was a nice surprise.  They also really made me wish I had some garlic knots.  Those sounded delicious.

• Love 1

Wow, yeah, I had a HUGE issue with Bay not giving a shit about A.J. The entire time, I was thinking about how she should be all over him, spending time with him, asking about his life, showing SOME kind of interest in him! Wtf, show!  I want to say that it would have been better had they not included him at all, but then again, I really liked him. I hope he gets worked into the main timeline somehow. 

Count me in with those who LOVED Emo Tobias! And I LOVED that he was hitting on Bay! That was soooo funny, and Bay's reactions were priceless. Lucas Gabreel is a great actor, because I totally bought that he was attracted to her. 

I also don't get how Emmett wouldn't have been attracted to Bay at all, but they kind of redeemed that part with his reaction to the kiss. 

All-in-all, I enjoyed this fun episode. I hope the show focuses more on the family in the future and not just on the teen romances, as other posters have said. 

• Love 2

Loved Angelo Jr! Was sad to see him go.

Tobias was hilarious. I agree with everyone that was the most hilariously cringey part of the episode.

Interestingly, I found Daphne to be less annoying here, where she was trying to be Bay.

I did laugh out loud at their little "we wish we were switched" ritual that ended with everyone staring at them like they were crazy.

Ridiculous idea overall, but it was well executed. And the way the plot was going off the rails at the end of the season, it was nice to have a break from that storyline and just focus on their relationships.

• Love 2

I liked the episode, but kept wondering why this was the first Christmas they were spending together.  Wouldn't they have done that long ago?  I guess I don't know how long it's been since they found out about the switch, but it's been at least a couple of Christmases, hasn't it?

Supposedly it was because Regina and Daphne had gone away each previous year, but this was the first year they were staying home for the holidays. 

• Love 2
Wow, yeah, I had a HUGE issue with Bay not giving a shit about A.J. The entire time, I was thinking about how she should be all over him, spending time with him, asking about his life, showing SOME kind of interest in him!

She had only known A.J. for a day. I guess weighed against all that she would be gaining (hearing, Emmett, loving parents, non-hipster love-struck Toby etc.), losing someone she had spent a few hours with was okay with Bay. I liked him too... but, I get that he had to go. Maybe the actor can come back as a cousin or as someone earlier said one of Angelo's many children out there in the world. 

• Love 2

Not a bad episode, but I found the song at the end an embarrassment for everyone.  I'm not sure which was worse, the "spontaneous" singing, or the supposed reactions of Regina, etc. who were listening.  

Other than that, definitely a good natured special.  I must say, when I was a kid, I would have killed for a cheerful, decorating, cooking, and baking mother like Katherine.  I'm glad her daughter came to appreciate her better.

• Love 2

I'm of the mind that this episode happened in the middle of last season and we're just seeing it now. It makes sense that Daphne and Regina would've celebrated Christmas their traditional way even after they moved to Mission Hills hence this being the first Christmas the Kennish/Vasquez family celebrated together i.e. the girls senior year in HS.

• Love 1

So I watched it again, at least half of it, and I remembered something that bothered me the first time.  Why was Katherine a work-aholic and John a coach/stay at home-ish dad?  What about the switch not happening would have made John not buy the car washes and/or have affected his baseball career?  Toby was already born when the switch happened, so Katherine presumably would have already been caring for a child and nothing about bringing home the blue-eyed child should have changed that. 

Are we to believe that Daphne being athletic caused John to quit working and devote himself to her athletic career as an olympic hopeful in soccer?  He didn't do that when Toby showed promise in baseball.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the fact that Regina and daphne spend Christmas much like my family... Jews love their Chinese food and movies on Christmas!

I almost died when Justice Elena Kagan referenced this during her Supreme Court confirmation hearing. ;)

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the fact that Regina and daphne spend Christmas much like my family... Jews love their Chinese food and movies on Christmas!

The creator/writer mentioned this on Twitter last night.  Apparently she, Lea Thompson, and Lucas Grabeel all do this, as she states, "like all good Jews."  

• Love 1

What about the switch not happening would have made John not buy the car wahses and/or have affected his baseball carrer?

Probably nothing specific about the switch, just emphasizing that a different reality/timeline would have differences beyond just that particular effect. Butterfly flapping wings changing history yadda yadda. Although you may be right, the "New Bay"'s budding stellar sports career might have had something to do with pushing him that way.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the Christmas special. It was a lot of fun, and felt very "true" to the characters. I too want AJ to show up again as a cousin or a long lost son of Angelo's. Lucas Gabreel was cracking me up.... It's nice when they let him act.

As per facebook, AJ lives!!!!

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2

I enjoyed the Christmas special. It was a lot of fun, and felt very "true" to the characters. I too want AJ to show up again as a cousin or a long lost son of Angelo's. Lucas Gabreel was cracking me up.... It's nice when they let him act.

As per facebook, AJ lives!!!!

Wow! That was cool! Thanks for sharing AJ Lives!!! Yay!