Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

In the S2 premiere, iirc, Kurt did not wear a suit, but mostly combat gear and did more fighting.  He also showed more personality and emotion than what I remember from early S1.  

But the main reason I'm tempted to watch Blindspot live instead of Arrow is because the premiere set up some intriguing potential conflicts and storylines going forward.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I never watch shows I watch live except the Flash (Sometimes. I can't stand to watch it live but if it's a show I watch live it's that one. My son Nicholas loves it though.) because my son watches that. We watch shows he likes* at 8 and then I'm getting him ready for bed and doing quiet time until he falls asleep. 

Yes, he doesn't like Arrow or legends :( He hates what I like or so it seems. Being a mom sucks sometimes >.<

Edited by tarotx
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

I confess (hanging head) - I'm tempted to watch Blindspot live and record Arrow.  Although I lost interest in Blindspot last season, I watched its S2 premiere this week and now I'm interested again because of the host of disclosures and new cast additions.  What to do, what to do...

I decided to check it out again as well (only new show on, lol) and I'm willing to give it another chance.  They've seemed to have blown through the really annoying angsty secret stuff.  I did like the female director that they killed off but I also like Archie Panjab and the chick from Growing pains so sure, why not. 

8 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Do it. When a show no longer entertains me, I move it to DVR or drop the show completely. I'd done that with Supernatural. I only started watching live again last season when it became interesting to me again. 

It's funny, if I'm watching a show live, it usually means I don't care as much about it, lol.  Shows I like the most I refuse to miss a moment so I always record it so I have the chance to watch stuff again if I need to.  Plus commercials make everything less enjoyable.  So I will be probably watching Blindspot live, lol. 

8 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Is the main dude from Blindspot still as dull as I remember him?

My initial reaction is to say, sadly, yes. (and He mumbles too) but yeah I suppose he did show a bit more emotional nuance than I remember...or it could have been gas.  Hard to tell.    

Edited by BkWurm1
10 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's funny, if I'm watching a show live, it usually means I don't care as much about it, lol.  Shows I like the most I refuse to miss a moment so I always record it so I have the chance to watch stuff again if I need to.  Plus commercials make everything less enjoyable.  So I will be probably watching Blindspot live, lol. 

Oh, I still DVR the shows I watch live. In case I want to go back to scenes over and over again (such as the Olicity proposal, Olicity in 320, you get my drift). But I also have a tendency to let things on the DVR pile up and I do end up deleting a lot of shows without even watching them.

• Love 1

If u don't have a Nielsen box, it doesn't really matter what you watch live. Watching Arrow on-demand or online actually probably helps it more than watching it live. So I say watch what you want/like.

Ironically when I'm getting upset with a show is when I'll go out of my way to watch it live because I don't want to contribute in any way to delayed or online ratings. 

Arrow has been added to TNT's lineup starting October 1st. It's the first time they're in syndication, I think.

Saturday: Sunday: 11AM-2PM, 11PM
sunday/monday: 12AM-2AM, 11AM-2PM, 11PM
Monday: 12AM-2AM, 2-5PM
Tuesday: 1AM-4AM 2-7PM
Wed: 12AM, 2PM-4PM
Thursday: 2PM-4PM

On an related note, it looks like after adding Arrow, the huge chunks of Castle reruns are gone. End of an era :(

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

88 was Canary Cry. I find it funny that that was Laurels last episode (KCs as a regular). 

What a way to celebrate syndication. I approve. 

Well, y'know, I've been told there's no Arrow without her so they might as well send the show off into syndication at that point :P

Seriously, though, I wonder if WB jumped the gun and negotiated Arrow's syndication deal early (even though they'd get more $$ after 100 episodes) because they weren't sure if the CW (and season 5) would exist? Not sure how this works.

I gave Blindspot another shot last week because I read that they adjusted things and wanted to see if I liked the changes. I ended up spacing out and playing on my phone. I would shocked if it lasts beyond this season. I'm not seeing it as a threat to Arrow.

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if Leathal Weapon will pose a threat to Arrow? I have to admit, i caved and watched the pilot it's not bad. I have the 2nd episode on the DVR and I'm looking forward to watching it.

I like Riggs. The actor is really good. Word of mouth on the show is good. I could see it taking some Live views from Arrow.

I have to admit I've been thinking about trying out Lethal Weapon as well, and it wasn't something that was even on my radar until the season started.   But I agree that Blindspot might not get a third season - it's not looking good.  According to TV Grim Reaper, it's the lowest rated scripted show on NBC so far this season. 

Edited by Starfish35
53 minutes ago, JenMD said:

I loved Lethal Weapon, and I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have.  But right now, I'm on the fence over which show I'll watch live next week, that or Arrow

I plan to watch 501 live and DVR Lethal Weapon. After that I'll play it by ear, whichever one holds my interest gets viewed live, the other goes to DVR.  Seems fair ?

• Love 2

Not sure which thread to post this in...

Here's How The CW Is Forging Its Own Digital Path, Without Hulu 
By Jason Lynch  October 2, 2016, 9:55 PM EDT
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/heres-how-cw-forging-its-own-digital-path-without-hulu-173777

This week, as The CW begins to debut its season premieres, viewers used to streaming those shows on Hulu will be in for a surprise. The network's five-year deal with the streaming service has lapsed, which means that for the first time, The CW's website and apps will have exclusive in-season streaming rights to its shows like Supergirl, which has migrated over from CBS, Jane the Virgin and The Flash.

It's a brave new digital world for The CW, which created its CW Seed digital platform in 2013 in part so it would one day be prepared to go it alone without Hulu. Last week, the network rolled out its CW app on Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, Chromecast and Amazon Fire, and will be amping up marketing efforts to direct audiences to the new digital destinations.

"When you know this is the only place you have to go, that makes a big difference, and it helps our business model," said network president Mark Pedowitz.
Sources close to Hulu counter that the company didn't want to pay more to renew its deal, and be required to take on the entire network's portfolio without in-season stacking rights to all episodes of a current season when only The Flash and Arrow were generating meaningful traffic on the site.
While Pedowitz is confident that viewers who watch his network's programming in-season won't be tempted to wait and binge the entire season on Netflix in May, others aren't so sure. "What does this ultimately do to live, linear ratings?" said BTIG Research media analyst Rich Greenfield. "The easier you make it to watch all your content ad-free in a binge fashion, the harder it is to ultimately get people to continue to watch live linear, with 20 minutes of disruptive commercials."

Edited by tv echo
On 9/15/2016 at 8:17 AM, tv echo said:

Wednesday at 8 pm (ET)
CW - Arrow
Fox - Lethal Weapon (new)
NBC - Blindspot
CBS - Survivor
ABC - The Goldbergs/Speechless (new)

Arrow and Blindspot both have Greg Berlanti as their head EP.

Arrow and Lethal Weapon both have Warner Bros. as their parent production company.

So I wonder how GB and WB will promote their competing shows?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

hile Pedowitz is confident that viewers who watch his network's programming in-season won't be tempted to wait and binge the entire season on Netflix in May, others aren't so sure. "What does this ultimately do to live, linear ratings?" said BTIG Research media analyst Rich Greenfield. "The easier you make it to watch all your content ad-free in a binge fashion, the harder it is to ultimately get people to continue to watch live linear, with 20 minutes of disruptive commercials."

I'm a little confused by this part.  There are ads galore in the CW app, or it least there were a week ago.  Is there something that changed?

41 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm a little confused by this part.  There are ads galore in the CW app, or it least there were a week ago.  Is there something that changed?

He means Netflix after the season. These shows now will go on Netflix soon after the season ends. Will people watch during the season (even on the app) or wait that now limited time after the season ends to binge watch. 

16 minutes ago, tarotx said:

He means Netflix after the season. These shows now will go on Netflix soon after the season ends. Will people watch during the season (even on the app) or wait that now limited time after the season ends to binge watch. 

I gotcha. Thanks. 

• Love 1

S2 also had (probably) the most direct competition for Arrow viewers, it aired opposite Revolution.

I'm curious to see what (if any) impact Lethal Weapon will have on the ratings this year.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I saw a number on Twitter that is close to that. 0.8 and around 2. 

I want to see the Twitter numbers. I know Arrow trended in the US but Olicity viewers are big on Twitter and a lot were not live tweeting cause they were mad. 

• Love 1

The Household number were a 1.4. Not sure how they got a 0.8 out of that, unless they just went back and compared it to previous HH at 1.4 and extrapulated? HH are supposed to give you an idea of # of viewers but it's also off somehow 

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings tank. They really didn't give people a lot to anticipate tuning into - there was very little about any of the main characters and what there was was garbage (Oliver being a shit mayor, Diggle off without his family, Flashpoint affecting Diggle and Felicity, whatever - if anything - was mentioned about Thea or Quentin). They spoke at length about people we've barely met (or never met), and Wendy really hammered home the "bleakness" of the season over the past few days. I suppose the only saving grace for large swaths of people was the promise of a return to its roots and better stunts/action. 

After a season and a half (I still think 4A was pretty great) of awfulness, what little we had to go on didn't indicate that they actually knew what they were doing and were going to follow through on any of the things they were promising. I completely understand why people would tune out. I've watched every episode live since 2x09, and even I didn't want to tune in (although I did, because I still care - but not nearly as much as I used to). 

• Love 7

Yikes indeed

S1 - 1.3

S2 - 0.9

S3 - 1.0

S4 - 1.1

S5 - 0.7

The thing to remember is that Arrow has more competition this year than previous years. I'm pretty sure Lethal Weapon appeals to the same group of viewers. Plus there is probably some overlap with Blindspot as well.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4