Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Judge's Chambers

• Start Topic

So I've relocated to Charlotte, NC.  I must say it start with a bang(?).  As I have stated before, I am a fluffy old lady, so I only fly when I travel with family or friends (who won't complain if I infringe upon their seat space). 

Mom2All, we are spirit animals lol. I am also a fluffy old lady and prone to falling randomly. I'm so glad you are okay and damn, girl, make sure to take some Naprosyn or Advil every night for a couple of days so the aches and pains don't sneak up on you. At least you have a grand story to tell. My boo-boos always involve something ridiculous like my last kaboom where I was carrying the dog crate outside and water landed inside my flip-flop and I flew right out of my flip flop onto the cobblestone driveway. Still nursing that bad knee.. .  

• Love 1

Oh. My. God.

It starts out odd - JJ gets halfway through her introductory statement, has a cough, and excuses herself to get a cough drop. Just when you're wondering why this wasn't left on the cutting room floor, Idiot Waddell starts joking around about getting $4200 for his car (which is either a 2000 model or a $2000 car; context is unclear) and says something about getting wasted. JJ comes out and explains to him that everyone on the planet is going to know he's an idiot, because in addition to cough drops, she has a TV monitor in her chambers. 

• Love 2

Well, gosh, I just blew my chance to be on JJ - my baby brother just paid me back for a loan I made, with interest, even though we didn't do any paperwork at all! Granted it was a safer loan than most banks, because he's been financially savvy since he was tiny (never even fell for the "we'll take those little dimes and let you keep the big nickels" trick) and only needed some cash because dipping into the principal is the sort of thing to make him twitch, still, doesn't he know how this is supposed to work?

• Love 4

@Jamoche Did you give him a receipt? Because you can always say he didn't pay you, and then JJ can grill you about the check, etc. If he paid by check, you just keep denying it, make him produce it so that she can compare your signatures while you have a dumb look on your face. All hope is not lost.

• Love 5

HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING FROM THIS SHOW, JAMOCHE?   Sheesh.  Some JJ litigant you'd be.  Christina gave you some really good advice.  If you had just kept your mouth shut, no one would know!  Bank? "We didn't use a bank." Criminy.  It's almost like you two were raised by, um, you know, like, basically, parents or something...

But now that you are flush with cash, we expect you to bring the cheese balls to all the parties! (And buy me a new cell phone, please. Then I won't have to shout at you!)

• Love 5

CBS is making a drama based on Judge Judy.

The famed television judge is developing “Her Honor,” a drama series at CBS, which is inspired by her own life, Variety has learned exclusively.

“Law & Order” vet and “Chicago Justice” showrunner Michael Chernuchin is penning the pilot, alongside Sheindlin who is billed as story co-writer.

“Her Honor” will follow the youngest judge in New York, who cuts through the chaos in Family Court, but can’t seem to maintain control of her own life outside the courtroom.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, SandyToes said:

But now that you are flush with cash, we expect you to bring the cheese balls to all the parties! (And buy me a new cell phone, please. Then I won't have to shout at you

But PLEEZE use a seatbelt so the bucket  doesn''t spill out.  As Byrd says "Safety first!

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 3

Forgive the length of this post.  Some of us have family issues that we have to deal with and move on.  What my family is dealing with now is difficult.  My 84 year old sister (my last sibling) had been ill and in the hospital since May.  She decided to stop taking treatment and let nature take its course.   Her daughter convinced her not to give up and to go back on her medications.  The family understood, after all, this was her mother and she was an only child. 

So after being hospital three weeks she was moved to a rehab facility.  While she was in the hospital and rehab, all the family could visit as often as they wanted.  My sister was the matriarch of the family.  Extremely close to all the nieces, nephews, husbands, wives, in-laws.   Everyone loved her dearly.  This was an issue for her daughter, who felt her Mother devoted too much time to the family and not enough to her.  Bear in mind this is woman a 65 years old.  At any rate, my sister became very ill and went back to the hospital.  There was nothing the doctors could do for her and she was placed in Hospice.  After a few days in the hospital she and her daughter made the decision she would spend whatever time she had left at home.  The doctors told us there was no timetable it could be “three days, three weeks, or three months”. 

My sister lived in a secure senior complex where you have to be admitted by the resident or security, when the resident gives permission.  My sister went home on July 27 and two of my nieces went to see her that evening.  After that, her daughter refused to let anyone in to see her mother.  She would only answer text messages, and she would say that it wasn’t a good time for visitors.  She would assure them that her mother was doing “well”.  We tried various agencies, the police, Hospice; anyone we felt might assist us in getting to see her.  We were told because she had designated her daughter as caregiver and resident (because of caregiver status) they couldn’t let us in the apartment.  Because of some law, Hospice couldn’t share any info with the family. 

We all started to feel that my sister had died and her daughter was keeping this from the family.  Yesterday, my daughter called the coroner’s office and learned that she has passed on July 31.  So her daughter kept this from us for weeks.  We assume she had a service of some sort (my sister wished to be cremated) but none of the family was there.   We are angry and outraged.  We will hold a memorial for my sister.  I told the family the no matter what her daughter did, she can’t take our good memories and the good times we shared with my sister. 

Best of all, we never have to see her daughter again!!

• Love 8

I am so sorry you have been going through this, momtoall!  Such a betrayal of trust, I just cannot imagine the pain!  Maybe when you over the initial shock and pain, you can sue the pants off her daughter.  My family has been going through a very similar crisis, with the selfish, reviled one made power of attorney and all that.  It really is elder abuse, and it happens so much nowadays.  Hugs for you and your family!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, momtoall said:

I told the family the no matter what her daughter did, she can’t take our good memories and the good times we shared with my sister.

That's a wonderful, healing attitude to take.  I'd have a hard time forgiving that daughter.  What's wrong with people?

• Love 5

Huge hugs, momtoall. My heart hurts for you. Your sister is in a better place, free of pain and strife. My belief is that one day you will be together again, with no "barriers."  You have a wonderful attitude, and I hope it carries you through the coming days.   <3

• Love 4

@momtoall - hugs and prayers (if you are a praying person) and cuddly thoughts to you. What the daughter did was awful. I'm sure someday she will realize what a turd she has been. Unfortunately it's common for people to get weird when others are dying/ die/ have funerals/ etc. I remember flying to California when my dad had terminal cancer and going to the hospital with my mother. They were supposed to have a conference on how to treat him and my mom shut me out (and I have medical knowledge). Just said - go home. I was nearly an hour from her house and had nobody to call. She just said go away. I managed to track down my father in law (not a nice person) and he drove me home. I remember sitting outside the house for a couple of hours because I had no keys. That's a very mild story. 

I'm sure wherever your sister is (and whatever your belief is), she's free and out of pain. Hang in there.

• Love 5

momtoall, I'm so sorry for your loss. (And yours, too HelloPatti.) 

Armchair analyzing the situation, maybe the daughter felt she could finally get her alone time with her mother? What a shitty, selfish way to do it -- but maybe that was her only way of getting back at the people she thought monopolized all of her mother's time during her life? Who knows. But at 65 years old, one would think she would have let such things go. I guess people don't ever really change. 

I hope your memorial is lovely and celebratory and that your sister's daughter will live out her life in her own private hell to which she is so obviously accustomed. 

Hmmm, according the previews, Monday I'm getting a rerun and 1 new episode. Ah well, at least it's a memorable rerun - the one where the good Christian parents try to get the "good daughter" arrested for coming back for her cat after being kicked out for visiting her boyfriend.

• Love 3

This past week I rented a car from Dollar and was told they don't accept personal insurance coverage; they'll charge the card you used. But they do give you the option to buy their insurance - which is as much as I pay for 6 months. Ha. If I'd had more sleep (it was 5AM and I'd been flying for 5 hours) I'd have walked to one of the other places.

Having googled it afterwards, I'm pretty sure they were lying to me, but at the time I thought I was in some ambiguous insurance state and it was a bit unnerving. I really do not see how the JJ drivers can just calmly drive around with no insurance at all.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

This past week I rented a car from Dollar and was told they don't accept personal insurance coverage; they'll charge the card you used. But they do give you the option to buy their insurance - which is as much as I pay for 6 months. Ha. If I'd had more sleep (it was 5AM and I'd been flying for 5 hours) I'd have walked to one of the other places.

Having googled it afterwards, I'm pretty sure they were lying to me, but at the time I thought I was in some ambiguous insurance state and it was a bit unnerving. I really do not see how the JJ drivers can just calmly drive around with no insurance at all.

I have seen rental agents tell customers all sorts of outrageous things.  Sorry to sound sexist, but they really try to push the insurance, upgrades, etc., on women.  I once had an Alamo agent try to push their insurance on me (which I refused).  He then asked me, "Who loves you so little that they would allow you to ride around in this unsafe little economy car?  Wouldn't you like to upgrade to a mid-sized vehicle instead?"  I looked at the guy with my innocent face and said, "Oh my.  Is it LEGAL for you to rent out unsafe cars?"  He backed off immediately.

I've often heard that rental companies don't make much money from renting cars; they make more money from selling insurance and upgrades.

• Love 7

Hawaii has places that will only rent to you if you have a return ticket.  Thankfully there were a couple that didn't when I was looking for a rental when we moved here.  Even better our car beat my husband here and he was able to go pick it up when he arrived.

When my dh travels for work he gets their insurance. And once he had an accident they just brought him a new car and that accident never went against our insurance at all. (I'm fairly certain it was his fault).  

I always call USAA and double check before we rent a car for personal use. We are covered for any damage/injury but I think she said if it puts the rental car out of commission for x number of days, that we'd have to pay for.  

52 minutes ago, califred said:

I always call USAA and double check before we rent a car for personal use. We are covered for any damage/injury but I think she said if it puts the rental car out of commission for x number of days, that we'd have to pay for.  

Yep, I've got USAA too, so I was sure that if anything happened they'd have my back, and in any sort of collision I knew I was covered because that's just how it works. Now that I've gone through the fine print, what they were talking about is non-collision damage - car gets scratched, dented, whatever; the sort of minor damage that is way less than they were charging for insurance. And lo, what does it say but "you or your insurer" are on the hook.

Google turns up reports that they push their frontline employees to push stuff in much the same way Wells Fargo is in trouble for doing - people discovering they got charged for the insurance they thought they declined.

• Love 1

OMG. I think I found the perfect breeding ground for future JJ litigants in the form of this show called The Super that's currently on Netflix. (I guess it aired on HDNet back in 2011/12? I never had HDNet so I never heard of it.) Anyway, the show supposedly follows around the Super from a property management company called Landmark Group in Omaha Nebraska. The company oversees something like 900+ rental properties mostly for low-income renters. 

Honestly, every episode (and there are 12 each season, two seasons total) there is an imaginary JJ case running through my mind. The squalor that some people live in is almost too much to bear. (Also, it's a pretty sad show underneath it all -- poverty + substance abuse + poor education + familial neglect + possible slumlordism = sociological nightmare.) 

Edited by Guest

In response to a comment on the All Episodes board about hoping Trump or Clinton would be able to bring back jobs...

I just started reading a book called Hillbilly Elegy, about the author's family and Appalachian heritage. Early in the book he talks about working at a tile store making decent money with coworkers that are unwilling to work despite really needing the money, and then being resentful when they're fired for calling in sick repeatedly, slacking, etc. 

Jobs won't fix this--even now we see a lot of jobs going unfilled because people don't want to be in skilled trades or physical labor fields--too hard.

I wish I knew what would. As long as many people, like JJ litigants, are content with a marginal lifestyle and have no aspirations to a better existence, it's tough to see a solution. Maybe the book will have the answer :)

• Love 8

I think if we could take the emphasis off every kid needing to go to college and bring back Vocational high schools that would help.  Some people aren't made for college and we need plumbers, electricians, etc.

Hawaii has had tons of open jobs, at least here around me. Unfortunately living here is so expensive you would need three of them to pay rent.  If I can't get to the commissary groceries are outrageous (milk is near $6 a gallon).  Housing is also unreal, and only sometimes comes with parking.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I wish I knew what would. As long as many people, like JJ litigants, are content with a marginal lifestyle and have no aspirations to a better existence, it's tough to see a solution. Maybe the book will have the answer :)

I think we need another War on Poverty.  LBJ's programs put a lot of people into good jobs and helped with the basics -- transportation, child care, medical care. 

None of the candidates have talked about real poverty, not even in the primaries.  Both parties have written off poor people, because they don't vote and they don't contribute financially. 

There's a culture of poverty -- like you say, people are content with the little they have -- and we might not be able to give them a boost, but there's hope for their kids. 

• Love 4

Thank you bad things are bad! Put that book right on my wish list! I'd also like to recommend, Evicted: Poverty and Profit in an American City. It's bad enough out there for the poor and the working poor -- but when they have no housing because they're priced out of the market where they live (like in Hawaii where califred is), things only get worse. It's a viscous cycle and my heart goes out to those honest, working people who just can't catch a freaking break in life. 

coworkers that are unwilling to work despite really needing the money, and then being resentful when they're fired for calling in sick repeatedly, slacking, etc.

Right now, I am putting in extra hours for a coworker who is always complaining they have no money -- spouse barely works, two kids in high school -- and yet can never seem to get themselves to work! There's nothing wrong with this person but it's always something that prevents them from earning income. I don't get it! And this is a person who grouses all the time about welfare recipients -- all while she's getting benefits from the state herself. So, basically, I'm working to pay her. Weirdly enough, that doesn't bug me as much as her inexplicable laziness! And plus, I'm a better worker and I love my job so I feel like it's a win for the business. :) 

5 hours ago, califred said:

bring back Vocational high schools

This, this, this, and THIS. YES. Not everyone is cut out for college and, you know what? That's OK! Having a trade is just as noble as having a college degree. There are more times in my life where I've needed a good plumber than a lawyer. 

ETA:

None of the candidates have talked about real poverty, not even in the primaries.  Both parties have written off poor people, because they don't vote and they don't contribute financially.

So true. Poverty is a blight on our nation and we need an honest, sober dialogue about it, now more than ever.

Edited by Guest

I just went to check the very cheapest studio I can find is $1000 plus $60 if you want a parking spot.  About 500 sq feet.

We we are fortunate to live in military housing where we give up our $4000 housing allowance but have 4/2 2300 sq foot house with garage and lawn and utilities are included as long as we stay under the cap.  In town that'd be almost impossible to find, most 3 bdr are $3500 + and about 1200 sq feet, cost the more and we'd have to pay utilities.  

For comparison our housing allowance in NC was $1900/month which amply covered our mortgage.

The homeless population in Hawaii is immense.  And you can see why.  Things are super expensive here.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Right now, I am putting in extra hours for a coworker who is always complaining they have no money -- spouse barely works, two kids in high school -- and yet can never seem to get themselves to work! There's nothing wrong with this person but it's always something that prevents them from earning income. I don't get it! And this is a person who grouses all the time about welfare recipients -- all while she's getting benefits from the state herself. So, basically, I'm working to pay her. Weirdly enough, that doesn't bug me as much as her inexplicable laziness! And plus, I'm a better worker and I love my job so I feel like it's a win for the business. :)

Coming to work every day should be a given, a habit.  Maybe it starts with school.  A kid starts missing school, gets behind, can't catch up, fails some classes, becomes discouraged, quits.  Can't get a good job, or a job they like, and the cycle starts again. 

I worked in HR for a long time, in a factory.  Some employees would rather cut off an arm than miss a day of work and would go years with perfect attendance.  They'd risk their lives driving to work in bad weather and they'd come in when they were sick and should have stayed home.  Others looked for any excuse not to show up.  Incentives didn't help.  Some of the never-misses were parents of the rarely-showed-up, so it's not like the slackers didn't have good examples. 

It's a puzzlement.

• Love 5

I was seated as a juror in a trial for a man charged with burglary in the second degree. As the case unfolded, I couldn't stop thinking that he was MADE to be a litigant on JJ, starting with his name. Kemo Jay Arthur Welborn. I would guess Mr. Welborn to be in his 50's. Not bad looking but really smug in his shirt with the fold wrinkles still in it and a tie that he probably borrowed from his public defender. Here's how it went down.......

A man on his way home from working swing shift (with his carpool buddy) got a call from ADT telling him the motion sensor in his garage had alerted them. He gave them the go ahead to call the police and arrived home about 15 seconds after the officer got there. The garage had a roll up, electric door and a small man door at the back of it. The homeowner used the key pad to open the electric door and there was the defendant inside the garage. The homeowner, his carpool buddy and the police officer all testified that they observed the defendant had something in his hands. They couldn't tell if he was picking something up or putting something down, nor could they see exactly what it was. The homeowner's Jeep was parked in the garage and the driver's side door was open and there was a shop towel with some sort of strong smelling solvent on it on the passenger seat. The homeowner did not leave the door open on the Jeep and he did not put the solvent soaked shop towel on the passenger seat.

The officer asked the homeowner if he knew the defendant and he did not. So, the officer asked the defendant what he was doing there and the defendant replied "What are YOU doing here?" As the officer walked toward the defendant, the defendant said "Shit! I'm going to jail." As he was being cuffed, he told the officer he was a federal agent and that the officer was making a big mistake. He also told the officer he didn't know how to put cuffs on someone and called him a rookie. When the defendant was questioned about why he was in the garage, he told a story that I swear we may have heard on JJ! He claimed that a woman asked him to meet her there so they could smoke some pot together........after she put her little ones to bed for the night. This all happened at about 11:30pm. The homeowner had never heard of this woman and the defendant claimed the officer took the piece of paper with her phone number from the defendant so they couldn't call her to back up his story.

The homeowner, his carpool friend and the officer all testified and all three of their versions of events were pretty much the same. The defendant's testimony was, as expected, not even close to what three people saw with their own eyes. He stuck to his story of the mystery woman asking him to meet her in a stranger's garage to smoke up. But, when the prosecutor pressed him about it, he changed his story and said the homeowner's wife invited him over. The homeowner's wife was in Minnesota visiting family and had never heard of this guy. When asked why he claimed to be a federal agent, he laughed and said he was just trying to lighten things up. He then went on to say that he NEVER touched anything in the garage, he just waited around for his lady friend to show up with the weed. The entire time he was on the stand, he acted like he had this in the bag and there was no way he would be convicted because he wasn't actually caught stealing anything. He also used a new term for being homeless. He said he was 'residentially challenged' - LOL! 

After we heard all the testimony and closing statements, we went home and met again this morning to deliberate. The first vote was 9 guilty, 3 undecided. The judge gave us a packet outlining all of the different points of law for the charge and after an hour or so of going over them, the 3 undecided agreed that he was guilty because of intent. Also,  three witnesses agreeing that he had things in his hands and he denied ever touching anything, along with changing his story about the mystery woman put his credibility in the shitter. The general consensus was he was there to steal and was interrupted before he could finish his job. Like JJ says, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, IT'S A DUCK. Several of us believe he found some solvent worth huffing, sat down in the Jeep and huffed a bit, then got busy looking for items to steal and was interrupted by the homeowner and the cop. I looked him up on the courts website when I got home, and just as I expected, he has a rather long history with  law enforcement and the judicial system. I'm happy to say that my first experience with jury duty was a positive one and that I was glad to be part of it.

ETA: There was water on every table in the courtroom and the judge encouraged everyone to drink it! The cop poured himself a glass and drank it on the witness stand.

Edited by lovesnark
  • Love 12
On 10/25/2016 at 9:52 AM, bad things are bad said:

In response to a comment on the All Episodes board about hoping Trump or Clinton would be able to bring back jobs...

I just started reading a book called Hillbilly Elegy, about the author's family and Appalachian heritage. Early in the book he talks about working at a tile store making decent money with coworkers that are unwilling to work despite really needing the money, and then being resentful when they're fired for calling in sick repeatedly, slacking, etc. 

Jobs won't fix this--even now we see a lot of jobs going unfilled because people don't want to be in skilled trades or physical labor fields--too hard.

I read the book, very interesting. It reminded me years ago of my step-mother bemoaning that a nephew was losing his job cuz the biz owner wanted to hire Mexicans. Turned out he hadn't shown up for work because he was in jail for public drunkenness. It wasn't the first time he had missed work or been late because of bad choices. So I asked her, "If you owned the biz would you want a hard working Mexican who showed up for work all the time or would you want to hire your nephew?"  To her credit she thought about it and said, you're right.

On judge judy we see so many scammers who, like another cousin, will put tremendous time and effort into getting onto disability and finding people to sue, when she could just have a decent life working. I know  we see a self selected portion of the population on this show, but .......

Edited by khyber
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

lovesnark, great story!  Much better than the time I was a juror.  How much time did your guy get?

I don't know yet. It should be posted to the court's website soon. A lot of times, sentencing doesn't happen on the same day, I'm hoping it did this time. The jury left the room after the verdict was read and we were polled and thanked. This guy has convictions for trespassing, multiple DUI and all sorts of other crap, so I'm hoping he gets more than a slap on the hand. He was on probation when he got popped for burglary, so he's  been in jail since August. Guess they didn't trust him to show up on his own-LOL!

• Love 1
On 11/1/2016 at 8:27 PM, Brattinella said:

Thanks for reminding me of Mr McDonald and his delusional fiancee.  How in the world do you think it will be any different for you, dear?  He is a cheater, big time, and he will do it again/is doing it now.  Please, girls, don't get pregnant by a doofus like this!  Aren't birth control pills pretty much free these days?

I mean, it's 2016. We have the technology! No need to bring another human being into your ridiculous 'arrangements'/hookups/etc..

• Love 1

I've missed a few episodes because I've been on call to schools who need counselors to "help" the students who are not taking the election results calmly.   I've been listening to shrieking and tantrums for the past week....and that's just in our office (har har).Apparently I only come in contact with people who to this point, have lead charmed lives.  Sheesh..

Actually, I view it as a good sign that kids are passionate enough to need counseling. How old are the kids? I think the first presidential election that I paid attention to was '68, and that was because of the chance of Wallace getting enough electoral college votes to send the election to the House. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Actually, I view it as a good sign that kids are passionate enough to need counseling. How old are the kids? I think the first presidential election that I paid attention to was '68, and that was because of the chance of Wallace getting enough electoral college votes to send the election to the House. 

I've talked to Jr. High and High School. 

I am getting the vibe that they're reacting to their parents' reaction.  Such good kids but the highly sensitive ones are sponges.  They're not intentionally absorbing what others are saying but in reality they're not only taking in what is being said but they're also taking in the high strung emotions.  The problem is that they don't know what to do with all this energy - it's not going away - and they don't know how to channel it.

I listen, of course then suggest activities that require physical exertion.  Both their body and mind will be occupied and essentially they'll burn off the excess energy.  We also talked about consciously stopping the negative tapes from playing over and over.  And finally, talking with friends and just talking help burn off the excess thoughts that if not recognized will fester.

You are so right though about their passion.  The other thing that is evident is their desire to please.  They want to be good students, a good son, daughter, athlete, sibling, you name it and they don't want to let anyone down.  This is part of the problem because they feel they need to react in line with their parents view of the election.  Just saying "I don't care about it" is not an option for some of the them.

Anyway, they'll be fine.  They are good kids who are going to turn into great adults very soon.  They certainly give me hope for the future.

1 minute ago, PsychoKlown said:

The problem is that they don't know what to do with all this energy - it's not going away - and they don't know how to channel it.

Would it help to tell them the adults feel the same way? On the one hand - you aren't alone, kids. On the other - it's scary when adults don't know what to do.

• Love 2
Just now, Jamoche said:

Would it help to tell them the adults feel the same way? On the one hand - you aren't alone, kids. On the other - it's scary when adults don't know what to do.

This is mentioned briefly. 

What we try to do is get them in a good place so they can cope with their feelings - an individualistic approach.  It tends to give them power to address their feelings.  I know what you mean when you say this but it's a fine line between shared emotions and "lumping everyone together".  Often, a pre-teen or teen will assume that we're minimizing their feelings if we say that others feel the same way.   They (and sometimes adults) think their tortured feelings are unique and no one can possibly understand what they're going through.

You're right though Jamoche, I think adults are feeling the exact same way.

On 11/15/2016 at 6:55 PM, PsychoKlown said:

This is mentioned briefly. 

What we try to do is get them in a good place so they can cope with their feelings - an individualistic approach.  It tends to give them power to address their feelings.  I know what you mean when you say this but it's a fine line between shared emotions and "lumping everyone together".  Often, a pre-teen or teen will assume that we're minimizing their feelings if we say that others feel the same way.   They (and sometimes adults) think their tortured feelings are unique and no one can possibly understand what they're going through.

You're right though Jamoche, I think adults are feeling the exact same way.

Other thing we all need to remember is that, despite the talking heads all talking about how historic result may be, it is far from the first extremely close election. Or the first time the winner of the election lost the popular vote. Heck, the first time Andrew Jackson ran he won both the popular vote and the Electoral College (both by large margins) and lost the election in the House. Closest election I can think of was Jefferson and Burr, tied in the Electoral College and it took a couple dozen votes in the House you decide race. That was really just a fluke, though, at the beginning of the two party systrm, and resulted in a Constitutional Amendment.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 2

Hi,

I don't post but this is one of the boards I read everyday.  Y'all make me laugh and rewatch to catch things I missed - and you all seem so nice and get along so well, if anyone would be so inclined, I could use any prayers and good thoughts for my cat.  

He is in congestive heart failure.  He is 15 years old and I've had him since before he was born (Momma was pregnant when she found me).  It's been an awful weekend being woken up about 2:30 in the morning Saturday with him gasping for breathe.  We've been between the ER, regular vet and ICU all weekend.  They were finally able to wean him off the oxygen last night and he is responding well to the Lasix.  We just got home a bit ago.  A local pharmacy was able to compound his Lasix to a liquid (Tuna flavored at that) that I put on his food and don't have to try to shove a syringe down his throat and he gobble that up!  So, he is doing better, but any good wishes/thoughts/prayers for that to continue will be greatly appreciated.

I return you to your regular grade A snark.  :)

PS - he has no tattoos and all his own teeth and has never asked me to borrow him cash!

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

Hi,

I don't post but this is one of the boards I read everyday.  Y'all make me laugh and rewatch to catch things I missed - and you all seem so nice and get along so well, if anyone would be so inclined, I could use any prayers and good thoughts for my cat.  

He is in congestive heart failure.  He is 15 years old and I've had him since before he was born (Momma was pregnant when she found me).  It's been an awful weekend being woken up about 2:30 in the morning Saturday with him gasping for breathe.  We've been between the ER, regular vet and ICU all weekend.  They were finally able to wean him off the oxygen last night and he is responding well to the Lasix.  We just got home a bit ago.  A local pharmacy was able to compound his Lasix to a liquid (Tuna flavored at that) that I put on his food and don't have to try to shove a syringe down his throat and he gobble that up!  So, he is doing better, but any good wishes/thoughts/prayers for that to continue will be greatly appreciated.

PS - he has no tattoos and all his own teeth and has never asked me to borrow him cash!

Always ready to send good thoughts and prayers for those in need... or as we used to say in the online newsgroup cat groups, I'll get my clowder purring for you and your boy

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 2

All the best wishes and strong healing energy from me and my kitty.  She suggests you feed him lots of cheese, but that doesn't sound like a great idea to me.  Here's hoping his appetite and his strength keep rebounding.  We'll be thinking of you.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tiftgirl said:

Hi,

Awwwww.  My six doggies and I are sending prayers to both of you. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

So, he is doing better, but any good wishes/thoughts/prayers for that to continue will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, gosh. Many good thoughts to your kitty! Did he have an cardiac ultrasound while he was at the emergency vet to see if there was an underlying reason for the CHF? I had a kitty who had CHF but was also at high risk for having a thromboembolism and he took enalapril and Plavix and Lasix for many years.  

Fingers crossed for him. :) 

24 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Oh, gosh. Many good thoughts to your kitty! Did he have an cardiac ultrasound while he was at the emergency vet to see if there was an underlying reason for the CHF? I had a kitty who had CHF but was also at high risk for having a thromboembolism and he took enalapril and Plavix and Lasix for many years.  

Fingers crossed for him. :) 

I lucked out with my Sammy. She was diagnosed with CHF at about 9 months old. I really thought I was going to lose her. After a round of Lasix the excess fluids were gone. She was a regular at the vet for awhile for checkups, and I was warned she had a murmur and may have a short life. Thankfully, she never had another bad spell where she needed drug intervention. I lost her at about 13 years old, passed peacefully napping in her favorite spot... still get a little teary eyed at times thinking about the kitten born on my pillow on my bed...

Oops, meant to add that my Sammy recovered from her spell at 9 months, then lived symptom free for 12 years. So, don't despair, your boy could bounce back.

Edited by SRTouch
Added comment
  • Love 3