Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think Greg's total is 180,000 something.

I was very surprised that Fodor was a TS. I blurted it out but wasn't even sure where I had heard it before.

I got it correct, but the friend who was watching with me said Frommers.

• Love 1

At first I thought Bush I but just as the clock was running out, I remembered Mondale.

I was very surprised that Fodor was a TS. I blurted it out but wasn't even sure where I had heard it before.

I knew it was either Fodors or Frommers but don't think I knew which one.

• Love 1

I had a complete brain fart on travel writers because I had just watched an old James Burke Connections episode that talked about Thomas Cook and I got hung up on that name even though it didn't fit the clue at all.

I did get Mondale, though! I knew I hadn't seen his name pop up on the "Dead Politicians" roll call yet, so I figured he was a safe call.

• Love 2

Greg, my friend!  The Last Tycoon!  Even I knew that.

Stevie Wonder, Mark Rothko.  (OK, those were harder.....)

But FJ was not difficult and if you're going to write down What is PETA? you don't deserve to win.

Oh, well.  Long live the new champion.

The question where you had to give Rolls partner seemed like a good example of why it really wouldn't be fair to demand last AND first names on every question.

• Love 2

Stevie Wonder, Mark Rothko.  (OK, those were harder.....)

But FJ was not difficult and if you're going to write down What is PETA? you don't deserve to win.

Oh, well.  Long live the new champion.

I too was surprised by the number of TS's in the Art by Numbers category. Nine times out of 10, the answer is Georgia O'Keefe for a female artist. I knew Pollock because of a tour I had years ago of his house in Springs, LI. Everybody had to wear special slippers in the studio so as not to damage the drips on the floor.

I didn't think PETA was such a bad guess. My first thought was the Audubon Society but I rejected it because I thought it had been founded by Audubon himself.

• Love 1

Gets you out of speeding tickets.....

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but that was the dumbest story I have ever heard. I had such a visceral reaction to that awful mustache that I don't think there is anything that guy can do to win me over.

Also I really liked Greg and felt badly at the end when it felt like he was just guessing in the hope that something stuck.

I only knew Stevie Wonder because that is one of my favorite performances Justin Guarini did on American Idol.

• Love 2

Just recently failed to get last (cobbler's tool) in a crossword puzzle. Did I learn the lesson? No! Missed it again tonight.

Audubon Society are words I've heard before, but had no idea what it was. I guessed PETA just to say something, even though I was pretty sure it wasn't that old.

I'll miss Greg, but he sure did have a good run!

• Love 1

I used to have my cat in the phone book as my listing.  It was a way to have an unlisted number without the surcharge.  I told Bellsouth she was my roommate.  *She* got an invitation in the mail to join the Audubon Society.  A cat.  If I had had the money at that point, I'd have signed her up.  LOL.

Georgia O'Keeffe?  Nah...sometimes the female artists are Grandma Moses or Mary Cassatt.  But Georgia's probably a safe guess.

Sad to say G'bye to Greg.

• Love 4

Sorry to see Greg go, but he had a great run. Mustache Guy seems okay but I can hardly stand to look at that thing.

Lots of TS. Stevie Wonder!

I guessed ASPCA for FJ. I thought the Audubon Society was started by Audubon, too.

I love using your cat for your phone listing. Ingenious, Prevailing Wind!

• Love 3
(edited)

I used to have my cat in the phone book as my listing.  It was a way to have an unlisted number without the surcharge.  I told Bellsouth she was my roommate.

Okay, well, Maddie (in the avatar) may have just become my roommate -- she costs me enough money elsewhere, she might as well save me $5/month in unlisted number fees on my phone bill.

The Audobon Society was one of the groups I had in mind during the commercial break before the FJ clue, based on the category.  Since it was the only one of those I figured dated back that far, that's what I went with. 

Between the novel and the film, I thought someone would have known O-Lan's husband, so that was a surprising TS.  Agreeing with some points made above:

Stevie Wonder was also a surprising TS, because you had two chances -- either knowing the winners of a very-recent Grammy or knowing who sang that song originally.

The Harvey Milk clue was quite over-valued for a DD in DJ.

With "she" in the painting by numbers category, the look of the painting, and the fact J! writers seem to think there have only been a handful of women in the history of art, Georgia O'Keeffe should have been a given.

But I didn't know Mark Rothko, either; I'm not familiar with his work (and was not at all impressed with the piece shown in the clue).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Maybe it was just because I recently re-watched The Hunger Games, and the Jeopardy! guy reminded me of poor Seneca Crane, but I didn't hate the mustache. I wish there had been a Dali clue in the art category, though.

• Love 2

I've seen The Good Earth movie many times and I blurted out Wang Li, so at least I was close lol. I also thought Audubon started the eponymous club. I was sorry to see Greg go but new guy is alright except for the stupid facial hair. It's a silly look.

• Love 1

For the love of god, get rid of that mustache!!!!!!!

Otherwise, the new champion was certainly impressive.

I knew it, and yet I couldn't pull it out of my brain in time.  At least Greg's answer was actually by Fitzgerald; all I could come up with was "The Other Side of Midnight", most definitely NOT by Fitzgerald.  Although a much more entertaining read.

I too was surprised by the number of TS's in the Art by Numbers category. Nine times out of 10, the answer is Georgia O'Keefe for a female artist. I knew Pollock because of a tour I had years ago of his house in Springs, LI. Everybody had to wear special slippers in the studio so as not to damage the drips on the floor.

I hate modern art, so the last two clues were a bust for me.  Although I did get O'Keefe, because, as you say, if they're looking for a female American artist, it's usually O'Keefe, and Warhol and Picasso seemed obvious.

• Love 1

The Audobon Society was one of the groups I had in mind during the commercial break before the FJ clue, based on the category.  Since it was the only one of those I figured dated back that far, that's what I went with

I thought "feathered", "birds", "Audobon".  Wasn't sure if it was old enough but that's what I went with.

As for "The Good Earth" clue, I saw part of the movie years ago, and know that Pearl S. Buck wrote the book, and that's it.  I wouldn't know the characters' names if my life depended on it.  And I didn't get Stevie Wonder, but then, I not particularly a fan of his, and had no idea that he and Tony Bennett did a duet.  (Not really a fan of Bennett either.)

But I didn't know Mark Rothko, either; I'm not familiar with his work (and was not at all impressed with the piece shown in the clue).

I've heard the name, but wouldn't have known his work by sight.  And after seeing that example, I'm just as glad.  I hate modern art.

• Love 1

The unicorn is gone, replaced by the Stache. Not only does he have a horrible mustache, but he also looks like a former client of mine who ripped me off. So I hope he's a one-and-done.

• Love 2

I was heartbroken to see Greg go. He was a smooth and easy player. While I liked Alex Jacob for his quirkiness, I liked Greg better because there was nothing NOT to like about him. The contrast was big Monday in the asking for clues:

Woman: "I'll take Modern Art In Europe for 200 dollars, please Alex."

Greg: "Art, 200."

I could have supported and watched Greg for the rest of the year and enjoyed his play. The only downside was his answer to FJ. I about puked when he wrote "PETA." That group is a radical anti-animal-ownership group so I hated Greg for the first and only time for him writing that. I got Audobon right away, did not think it was hard at all. But then, animal-related categories are my strong suit.

The Georgia O'Keefe painting shown was a bit of a stumper since most of her work resembles female anatomy. Although O'Keefe would have been my only guess just given the style. (Five years of art school here.)

The winner ... I just can't with that moustache. I hate, hate, hate it and the rest of his gross facial hair. He reminds me of a Subway sandwich maker around here who had facial piercings. I quit going to that Subway, he turned my stomach. I won't be able to watch as long as Pompously Affected Moustache Man is on, it will be a listen-only for me today. I'm hoping he loses, and I don't care to whom, just LOSE, please, and get off my teevee.

Although again Alex turned the moustache interview back to himself. I know ... surprise.

• Love 4

I used to have my cat in the phone book as my listing.  It was a way to have an unlisted number without the surcharge.  I told Bellsouth she was my roommate.  *She* got an invitation in the mail to join the Audubon Society.  A cat.  If I had had the money at that point, I'd have signed her up.  LOL.

Georgia O'Keeffe?  Nah...sometimes the female artists are Grandma Moses or Mary Cassatt.  But Georgia's probably a safe guess.

My brother's cat, no kidding, has a credit card.  Issued to his first name (Boomer) followed by my brother's last name.

You forgot Frida Kahlo to round out the complete history of women in art.

• Love 4
(edited)

I knew Wang Lung because we read that book in ninth grade and teenagers are very immature.

Now I'm hoping for a John Hughes Movie category: "This Sixteen Candles character was played by Gedde Watanabe."

ETA: Ugh. That gross new guy has a twitter account. https://twitter.com/spylinen

Edited by saber5055

Well, darn. I was really rooting for Dan until he made that bad DD bet and guessed wrong. I'd never heard of Spiritual Lords but instantly said The Church of England. He then went downhill with too many wrong guesses.

As much as I liked Greg, I dislike Salvador Douchestache. I literally can't stand to look at him.

This game seemed pretty easy. I liked the middle name category.

• Love 8

I had to take a phone call right at the first commercial break, and then didn't get back to the show until FJ, so I missed most of it.  Based on the little I saw ...

I thought the Tripoli clue was over-valued as a DD, so I was a bit surprised the contestant didn't get it (or seem to have an "oh yeah, duh" reaction upon its reveal).

Poe being in the authors by middle name category annoyed me; dare I hope as they progressed down that category, the clues were about people who are/were not commonly referred to by their full name? 

• Love 1

ETA: Ugh. That gross new guy has a twitter account. https://twitter.com/spylinen

When I checked just now, it says under his description that he's a two-time Jeopardy champion. Do you know if it said that before he won today? ie has he been updating it daily or did he breach some aspect of his contract by saying that the only won two days :P

• Love 2

When I checked just now, it says under his description that he's a two-time Jeopardy champion. Do you know if it said that before he won today? ie has he been updating it daily or did he breach some aspect of his contract by saying that the only won two days :P

It appears he updated it after it aired. I looked at it before showtime here (6:00 pm Mntn time) and it said nothing about winning again.

If I didn't like him before, I really can't stand him after reading his Twitter drivel.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, man, he's updating his twitter account like mad. No ego there *cough*. I hope his "Two time Jeopardy champion" doesn't get updated. He thinks he's pretty hot stuff, then he writes this:

"Me and Dan ..."

I hope one of tomorrow's categories is "Pronouns." And there's a DD where he bets it all. Buh-bye!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)

Poe being in the authors by middle name category annoyed me; dare I hope as they progressed down that category, the clues were about people who are/were not commonly referred to by their full name?

Alas it did not. It's why I thought Alex two remarks about how well-read she was weird given all the authors in the category went by their full names and all extremely famous. The others were Louisa May Alcott, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and Zora Neale Hurston. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I have a Rothko print,* which is the only reason I know who he is. That, and the fact that every. single. time. a particular friend walks into my foyer, he looks at the wall and delightedly says "Rothko!"  All his work that I've seen is the same theme, two boxes of contrasting color on top of each other.  He was a Russian who emigrated to New York and he committed suicide in his 60s. That's all I know about him.  But it was enough to get that clue right.

* I don't like modern art and my least favorite color is orange. Yet my home is filled with orange modern art. I don't get it.

• Love 4

Alas it did not. It's why I thought Alex two remarks about how well-read she was weird given all the authors in the category went by their full names and all extremely famous. The others were Louisa May Alcott, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and Zora Neale Hurston.

I kinda thought that was the whole point of the category - famous authors who used their middle names - so I didn't have a problem with it.  ymmv, of course

• Love 1

(Had to cut and paste this name). Liked Alex on the Tchaikovsky question. "Go for the obvious guys"

That's just what I did.  Which is why I said Stravinsky.

• Love 2

All the news items today about fecal matter being discovered in facial hair makes me dislike Moustache Guy even more. No wonder I can't bear to look at him. Several "puny" nicknames for him now come to mind.

• Love 2
(edited)

That's just what I did.  Which is why I said Stravinsky.

And I said Rachmaninoff, based on his Variations On A Theme Of Paganini.  Oh well.  At least I knew all the other ABT clues.  {Oops, that's Rhapsody, not Variations.  Now I feel doubly stupid.  Still, I knew Fancy Free.}

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
(edited)

One thing I noticed in last night's game was that we saw the lights along the sides of the board for the first time in a long while (at least that I've noticed) that indicate when a player can buzz in.  But it was only during one question.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

That Terra Cotta warrior DD was ridiculously easy with just the clue description, but then they accompanied it with a photo as well.  WTF ?

It looked like the 'stache was going down to defeat early on, but he pulled out the runaway thanks to the ridiculously easy DD mentioned above.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

I thought for a minute this WAS the Teen Tournament. Terra Cotta Warriors indeed. Geesh.

Although I did laugh out loud when Snidely answered, "What is a uterus?" since Jeopardy doesn't duplicate answers, especially not within the span of a couple of days. Although since he's a man, I figure he doesn't know what a uterus is. (See previous posts re: this subject.)

I was rooting for the guy in the middle. He was cute and showed a personality like at least he was having a good time. He had a nice lead there for a while, the big tease.

• Love 3
(edited)

Although I did laugh out loud when Snidely answered, "What is a uterus?" since Jeopardy doesn't duplicate answers, especially not within the span of a couple of days. Although since he's a man, I figure he doesn't know what a uterus is. (See previous posts re: this subject.)

I wondered if he got confused by the “You” category title and was thinking of body parts beginning with U – because uterus was such a random guess, and by the wording of the clue it had to be a body part that everyone has.

J! provided my "learn something new every day" moment for today -- I had no idea whence "bell, book, and candle" came.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Second night in a row I've been out and missed the show. Tomorrow I'll have no excuse so I'll have to tune in to Snidely.

Was the Terra Cotta Warriors question FJ?

• Love 1

J! provided my "learn something new every day" moment for today -- I had no idea whence "bell, book, and candle" came.

Same here.  That was pretty interesting.

No, Terra Cotta Warriors was not FJ.  I agree with whoever said it was overvalued, though.

• Love 1