Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

NOW I know who Chris reminds me of: a skinnier Kurt Warner! Thank you, Twitter.

At first FJ sounded like a jumbled mess of words... Morse code... victory... theme... what? But as soon as the showed the code, I got it instantly.

Loved the new champs happiness at winning!

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 1
(edited)

Another trip to the archive; tonight’s game was pre-empted for basketball.

I don’t fish, and I don’t even eat a lot of fish, but I ran the fishing category.  How did that happen?

I can’t believe Holly got the Margaret Sanger DD wrong.  While reading the clue, I was grumbling that it was over-valued as a DD, so I was quite surprised to see she blew it.  I was as lost as she was on the Dickens novel, though. 

I’m a bit surprised rainmaker was a TS, but I guess that film isn’t as well-known as I thought.

Fiery diary as a TS kind of blows my mind.

Double agent as a $2000 clue?

Whatever came up as a visual in FJ wasn’t viewable in the archive (at least in my browser), so I had just the text to go on.  I can’t remember anything I knew of Morse Code as a kid, but V sent my mind to Roman numerals.  And thinking of five in the context of classical music brought me to Beethoven’s 5th Symphony.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I knew Martin Chuzzlewit but I didn't know the whole title was the Life and Times of Martin Chuzzlewit.

I'm with you there.  I've never seen that whole title written out.  But then, I've never taken a class on Dickens or Victorian literature.

I did get the FJ.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved Holly's story about her cat watching dog shows on TV.

For the life of me I couldn't remember Margaret Sanger's name.

I haven't read any of Neil Gaiman's books, but I came up with his name instantly. Same with Charles Lamb.

And same with FJ. I didn't even need to sound it out. Just seeing three dots and one dash got me instantly to Beethoven's Fifth.

I'm sorry to see Chris go, but Phil is a good substitute.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

I knew Martin Chuzzlewit but I didn't know the whole title was the Life and Times of Martin Chuzzlewit.

I wonder if just Martin Chuzzlewit would have been acceptable as an answer.  I'm trying to remember did Alex say Life and Times (which I kind of think he did) or did he say The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit which is the actual title.

• Love 3

I wonder if just Martin Chuzzlewit would have been acceptable as an answer.  I'm trying to remember did Alex say Life and Times (which I kind of think he did) or did he say The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit which is the actual title.

Considering the judging lately, they probably would have accepted Nicholas Nickleby as the answer.

• Love 11

I wonder if that's one of those things, like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, where so few people actually call it by the full title that the shortened title has become "acceptable".  I know I certainly would never have thought of anything beyond just "Martin Chuzzlewit".  

I think I had an exodus/exile moment yesterday.  For the Rhyme Time clue of "A restraining strap made of tanned animal skin", I came up with "pelt belt".  After thinking about it, a pelt is the fur, not the skin, and it's not tanned...but I wonder if they would have accepted it anyway.

• Love 5

I wonder if that's one of those things, like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, where so few people actually call it by the full title that the shortened title has become "acceptable".  I know I certainly would never have thought of anything beyond just "Martin Chuzzlewit".  

I think I had an exodus/exile moment yesterday.  For the Rhyme Time clue of "A restraining strap made of tanned animal skin", I came up with "pelt belt".  After thinking about it, a pelt is the fur, not the skin, and it's not tanned...but I wonder if they would have accepted it anyway.

I wondered the same thing about "Martin Chuzzlewit". That's certainly all I could have answered!

I feel like you'd have a good chance with pelt belt

• Love 1

I'm trying to be as delicate as possible with this...but I was rather embarrassed at the amount of TS tonight. I didn't think anyone was going to get out of the Jeopardy! round alive.

• Love 7

I couldn't believe the number of TS tonight!  And mostly in the first round, too!  But they rebounded fairly well in DJ, and yes, FJ was astonishingly easy.

I liked that new champ was trying his level best to end up with a nice round dollar amount.

• Love 6

The new champ was a machine, once he got going. I like the nice round dollar amount, too.

Why do contestants stick with a category (I'm looking at you, Video and Film) when no one knows any of the freaking answers? Move on, people.

I liked the Words that Should Rhyme category.

Alex! You dweeb! It's pronounced just like the state of Arkansas, not Ark kansas River. Ass.

I was over thinking on FJ but it finally came to me. Then I slapped myself.

• Love 6

I think I had an exodus/exile moment yesterday.  For the Rhyme Time clue of "A restraining strap made of tanned animal skin", I came up with "pelt belt".  After thinking about it, a pelt is the fur, not the skin, and it's not tanned...but I wonder if they would have accepted it anyway.

I also said "pelt belt".  I would give us credit for it.

I missed tonight's game, guess I'll have to check out the archive tomorrow.

• Love 2

It didn't matter in the end but John Ritter's TV show was "8 Simple Rules." The long title was from the essay that inspired the show. But I'm thinking that there is a rule that if you give the correct first part, they don't penalize you if you add on?

It didn't matter in the end but John Ritter's TV show was "8 Simple Rules." The long title was from the essay that inspired the show. But I'm thinking that there is a rule that if you give the correct first part, they don't penalize you if you add on?

The original title of the show was the full one. I remember the promos for it, but they shortened the title relatively early on. It was just too long for a TV show. The full book title is even longer: 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter: And other tips from a beleaguered father (not that any of them work). I was briefly impressed the contestant went for the full title.

The new champ had two categories right up his alley way: 20th century books and King Arthur. Lit is also one of my strengths so I went through that as well, but I am really bad at American geography.

FJ was an insta-get for me though. I understand the lack of good bids. "Historic quote" could be anything.

• Love 5

I couldn't remember whether they shortened the title after Ritter's death or before, so I was wondering which version to go with.

That was a painful first round.  They were so bad in the film and video category - B-roll as a TS?! - but, then again, they were just bad.

All I know about King Arthur I learned from Monty Python.

I'm surprised - although nothing should surprise me this game - no one knew Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey, thanks to SNL.

• Love 4

It's another of those things that are fuzzy as far as judging goes. I think anything you add on needs to be accurate, otherwise it's ruled against you. Giving a last name only is acceptable (usually), but if you pair it with an incorrect first name, you lose the points. Titles are strange, though. I think if someone said "Alice in Wonderland" instead of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," they'd be ruled correct, but call it the "Book of Revelations" instead of "Revelation" and you're wrong.

As for the 8SR title, I remember it was shortened pretty early on. The credit sequence was changed after John Ritter's death. Details here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312081/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

I was surprised the English professor didn't know William Inge. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt about Ebola. I would have said malaria, although I was sure the cause of that was discovered much earlier.

• Love 2

As much as Ebola has been in the news recently, I can't give the guy a pass. I probably would have had he said malaria, though -- yes, it was discovered way before the date specified, but at least it is transmitted by mosquitoes.

• Love 4

That was a painful first round.  They were so bad in the film and video category - B-roll as a TS?! - but, then again, they were just bad.

They were terrible at reading the clues. That B-roll one literally said "This letter-roll." That seemed to be totally giving it away to me -- but no!

I hope the guy knows this and just didn't know what else to say, but mosquitoes don't spread Ebola!

Seriously. 

• Love 2

As much as Ebola has been in the news recently, I can't give the guy a pass. I probably would have had he said malaria, though -- yes, it was discovered way before the date specified, but at least it is transmitted by mosquitoes.

I missed the date when Alex read the clue and said malaria.  But yeah, ebola was a stupid answer.

The FJ was simple as pie, although at first the year kinda threw me off.  I knew Reagan said that about the Panama Canal, but didn't realize he'd said during the 1976 campaign.

• Love 1
(edited)
the one that killed me was the $200 North Pole TS.

Except I was sitting here yelling SOUTH POLE! So I guess it was a $200 FS.

I said malaria for the mosquito answer too, and shame on me since I have horses that can get West Nile, they have to be vac'd against it.

Alex! You dweeb! It's pronounced just like the state of Arkansas, not Ark kansas River. Ass.

He did pronounce it both ways so as to cover himself. I do agree with your assessment of him, however.

I do like the new champion, too. Are his round number bets OCD? 

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Ack . You're making me defend Alex 

My grandmother who hailed from the state of Kansas always called the river the Ark kansas. The state was Arkansas. 

• Love 2

My grandmother who hailed from the state of Kansas always called the river the Ark kansas. The state was Arkansas. 

I hate to defend Alex also, but I have heard the river pronounced that way. 

I thought West Nile Virus was obvious.  But so was ambient.  I watch too many commercials!

• Love 3

Well, I've lived in Colorado for over 40 years and have never, ever heard anyone pronounce it Ark kansas.

Transmitted by mosquitoes, but not a virus. Malaria is caused by a parasite.

• Love 1

Quite a runaway game for Darren.  I like him, hope he continues to do well.

i also said Cyprus for FJ although Malta was my second choice.

• Love 2

The kid from Milwaukee was pretty smart, but no match for Darren.  I like the champ and get a kick out of his wagers to end up with even dollar amounts.  I had no clue about FJ.  I know the H-O-R-S-E category was easy but I enjoyed it.

• Love 4

I like Darren's habit of having even dollar amounts. I guess I'm a bit OCD about this. He's pleasant and smart as all get out. I hope he sticks around.

I was surprised Waterloo Station was a TS since the clue mentioned Napoleon.

The London Calling category bugged me. You don't have to call Westminster Abbey to make reservations, for one thing. And another, all of the clues weren't revealed.

I was clueless on FJ. I lamely thought Crete but knew that was wrong.

• Love 2

Talk about misleading categories! I would have bet almost nothing on that FJ because I stink at geography, but actually it was an insta-get Bible question!

Darren is a good non-annoying player, glad to see him continue to do well.

• Love 2

I loved Kyle's reaction to getting FJ right. I didn't even have a guess, but thought once the answer was revealed, I would recall it. I didn't.

I also liked that Kyle gave Smithers' full name.

I thought the game was relatively easy since I knew so many of the answers. I did get the badminton one wrong. I went with volleyball. I knew it was a sport with a net.

• Love 3

I did get the badminton one wrong. I went with volleyball. I knew it was a sport with a net.

I remembered there was a scandal but I also was thinking volleyball instead of badminton.

According to Wikipedia, both pronunciations are correct, so everybody is right :-D

This explains why Trebek said it both ways. 

Pandora, your post made me LOL. Thanks for that.

I liked the regular Horse category (although H.O.R.S.E. was fun, too). Animal categories are in my wheelhouse and they are always the last to be chosen. I guess universities don't do a lot of teaching about Irish Wolfhounds or dressage. (Although dressage was guessed correctly this time.)

I said Malta for FJ although I was not positive. But Malta appears often as a game-show answer so I just assumed this would be another one.

I like the champ and hope he stays a while. How long before his OCD equal-money bets get on our nerves?

• Love 1

I like the champ and hope he stays a while. How long before his OCD equal-money bets get on our nerves?

I do too.  But I just realized that I must have a touch of OCD, because I hate it when contestants don't bet even amounts of money.  All those 01s and 99s, etc., drive me nuts.  Bet even thousands, dang it!  (And get off my lawn too!  lol)

• Love 5

I like when contestants make a DD wager that would give them a nice round number if they get it right … and hate when they wager so that the round number will come only if they get it wrong.  Let’s say they have $3200.  An $1800 bet makes me happy.  A $1200 bet makes me cranky.

Last night’s game was pre-empted for basketball, so I had to check the archive again.

I can’t believe Syria was a TS.  Maybe because it’s ongoing, reference to specific months in 2012 made them think it had to be something that was over.

The only Simpsons episode I’ve ever seen in its entirety is the X-Files one, but apparently I’ve picked up a few things along the way – I knew Krusty the Clown and Moe’s.

Geometry goes down in my personal history as the only C I ever received, so I was pleased to get three of those right.

I had no idea on FJ, so basically picked a Mediterranean island out of a hat.  I picked the right one by pure luck; there was zero reasoning involved.

• Love 2
The only Simpsons episode I’ve ever seen in its entirety is the X-Files one, but apparently I’ve picked up a few things along the way – I knew Krusty the Clown and Moe’s.

That Simpsons X-Files episode is one of the better episodes of all-time, plus it had the late, great Leonard Nimoy in it.

• Love 5

That's to eliminate doubt between him and Carson Smithers, the autistic, diabetic frontiersman.

There seem to be a lot of likes here for Carson references, but I'm not getting it. What'd I miss?

• Love 1
(edited)

It’s an allusion to the ruling on the Carson City clue a couple of months ago.  (After accepting last name only answers the likes of Roosevelt, Adams, and Guthrie in recent games, they required the full name of Kit Carson.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
(edited)

There seem to be a lot of likes here for Carson references, but I'm not getting it. What'd I miss?

Several weeks ago there was a clue along the lines of "This state capital was named after a frontiersman", and the first person that rang in said "Who is Carson ?" and was ruled incorrect.  Alex finally gave the correct answer as "Who is Kit Carson ?". 

The problem is that the judging has been so wildly inconsistent of late that other people have answered clues with surnames only and given credit as correct when they could be multiple people with that surname as the correct answer.  There was a clue about a character on the TV show Dallas and one contestant came up with the answer of "Who is Ewing ?" and was ruled correct (it was a FJ clue), when there are about a dozen people on that show with the last name Ewing. And in clues about Presidents people have been ruled correct while saying "What is Bush ?" when they should have been asked for more information.

The one about Kit Carson is probably an example of the most recent ridiculous ruling by the judges.

ETA: @Bastet beat me to it while I was composing.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

The assholes have done it again: Jeopardy! has been preempted for the Women's Soccer pregame show. I'll check this thread for details about Friday's game. There's nothing better than living vicariously through the Jeopardy! viewing experience from the posts of you.

• Love 2