Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3: Get Your Spoons!

Kromm

The other thing I recall, and I need a life if this is true, is that Vanessa said in passing that she lost one of jobs (or her second job or something like that) which left me thinking she had more than one job.  Since she is self-employed as a personal chef, I could see her losing individual gigs but wouldn't people who chase fame be eager to hire her once her tour of The Taste was over?   She does live in Los Angeles (or did).  Of course if Bourdain is as impressed with her as he says, he might hire her (Ludo hired one contestant so there doesn't seem to be any rule against it).

It looks like things have picked up on the job front for Vanessa.  According to her twitter she is now working at Ludo's restaurant, Petite Trois. 

• Love 2

I don't think I'd want to eat there.  I'd be too busy wondering if Ludo invaded Jen's personal space to the point where they had to rent a room (in the walk-in) to work it out, how many chefs had to listen to Ludo scream at them in unintelligible English, how many times the staff had to listen to Jen being loud and obnoxious, and how many innocent appliances got beat up because someone's egg whites didn't froth enough, or something.

• Love 1

I don't think I'd want to eat there.  I'd be too busy wondering if Ludo invaded Jen's personal space to the point where they had to rent a room (in the walk-in) to work it out, how many chefs had to listen to Ludo scream at them in unintelligible English, how many times the staff had to listen to Jen being loud and obnoxious, and how many innocent appliances got beat up because someone's egg whites didn't froth enough, or something.

Ludo hired Vanessa, not Jen. Thank the deity of your choice; I cannot stand Jen.

• Love 2

Congrats to Gabe, a very deserving winner. And to Tristen as well, for getting a job offer from Marcus. Ludo cracked me up at the end.

Oh, and in case anyone didn't know, Jen was the last home cook there! I lost count of how many times she said that.

Anthony swigging straight out of the bottle, the bottle eventually used to add liquor to Eric's dish.

• Love 11

Oh yay! I'm so pleased, especially since there's still an hour to watch here. Takes the tension right out of it. I'm just going to enjoy the rest. Plus bonus, it's only the two contestants I like in the finale finale.

Tristen's sweat soaked shirt was grossing me out. It even soaked through his apron. Yikes.

I was weirdly fascinated by that shirt. When they went into the break room the first time to hang out with their families, his shirt was soaked. When he went into it for the last time, it was dry. And it had been soaked as he turned to go back to the break room. I kept watching to see "Is it dry? Is it wet? How long has he been wearing that thing?"

• Love 3

That was a very satisfying finale.  I would have been happy with any of the final three winning, but it does make sense for Gabe to take it all.

Who was this mythical, fantastic, incredible cook named Eric Anthony kept talking about? /sarcasm

Anthony, America only likes to root for underdogs that show at least a scintilla of humility.

It sure sounded like all three made terrific meals.  Great finale!

• Love 7

I think the show accidentally spoiled itself, because Marcus had glitter on his face during his first TH. Only 15 mins in and had to check if it was true. Could have been from other activities, I suppose, but everyone knows glitter will last on your skin forever. Not a surprise result and I'm glad for the winner.

• Love 1

Nice ending. I don't think it would be easy (ever) to work for Ludo so kudos to Vanessa for apparently being a good enough chef and having a great work ethic.

Very happy about the Gabe win--very deserving--and glad for Marcus showing the other mentors how its done (i.e. you don't have to be a control freak or a bully or an emotional wreck or play favorites.) Now, if Nigella would only take suggestions here, get a replacement then play to her strengths--articulate, lovely way with words, very poised as a host/commentator, likes to keep harmony among the rest--instead of her weaknesses (being a mentor) S4 could be very enjoyable.

• Love 2

Pretty underwhelming as a finale for me, but everyone who made it was deserving, and Gabe obviously was the most consistently high-performing throughout the season.  I was hoping for Tristen to win, but if I were a chef, I'd take a job with Marcus over an ABC.com show any day!  

Echoing what a lot of others have already said, but there's no way this show is going to get any better unless they switch out some of the mentors, particularly Nigella and Tony.  Nigella has shown that she can't coach without micromanaging, and her team is always made up of the people that no one else wanted, since nearly everyone who has the option of another mentor takes it.  I love Tony's food/travel shows, but he makes crap decisions when it comes to eliminating mentees. I think he just shoots himself in the foot by trying to tie eliminations too closely to immediate performance rather than overall - hence why his last representative went into the final with three red stars against opponents who had multiple gold each.  Tarik being eliminated before Vanessa and Eric was a huge mistake, I think.

• Love 6

I was weirdly fascinated by that shirt. When they went into the break room the first time to hang out with their families, his shirt was soaked. When he went into it for the last time, it was dry. And it had been soaked as he turned to go back to the break room. I kept watching to see "Is it dry? Is it wet? How long has he been wearing that thing?"

Either the breaks were longer between rounds were much longer than they might like us to believe, or the finalists might have been instructed to bring multiples of shirts...or both.

• Love 1

" the finalists might have been instructed to bring multiples of shirts...or both."

Likely the wardrobe department at work.

I would love to see a mentor change up. Except Marcus, because he is the only mentor who seems to take this calmly and with dedication to the cooking. I watch this show for the little ideas it give me for my own food, not the drama and celebrity chefs. That being said, I appreciate that they seem to go a little more into the process than shows like, oh, anything from Ramsay.

• Love 3

I actually teared up when Marcus offered Tristen a job. Not just because I like Tristen, but because...what a prize. I saw someone ask Tabatha Coffey how she felt about coming in second on Shear Genius. She was giving a reading and signing her book between seasons of one of her reality shows, and she just shrugged and said, "I won." I almost feel that way about Tristen. 

But I am thrilled for Gabe. It was a great final three with the right winner.   

• Love 6

Pretty underwhelming as a finale for me, but everyone who made it was deserving, and Gabe obviously was the most consistently high-performing throughout the season.  I was hoping for Tristen to win, but if I were a chef, I'd take a job with Marcus over an ABC.com show any day!  

Echoing what a lot of others have already said, but there's no way this show is going to get any better unless they switch out some of the mentors, particularly Nigella and Tony.  Nigella has shown that she can't coach without micromanaging, and her team is always made up of the people that no one else wanted, since nearly everyone who has the option of another mentor takes it.  I love Tony's food/travel shows, but he makes crap decisions when it comes to eliminating mentees. I think he just shoots himself in the foot by trying to tie eliminations too closely to immediate performance rather than overall - hence why his last representative went into the final with three red stars against opponents who had multiple gold each.  Tarik being eliminated before Vanessa and Eric was a huge mistake, I think.

I think Tony's good (overall) on this show, but that would be a way for Nigella to save face, if she AND Tony bowed out next season, staying on instead as host/commentators maybe conversing on camera with the guest judges or contestants to change up from THs--something. That way it wouldn't be so obvious that Nigella is a failure as a mentor. The following season, she could continue and AB could return to judging if he wanted. 

Tony should take one for the team. They could (should) even have two women replace them on the panel.

Ben looked stunned to have lost after Gabe's mistake (imagine how wonderful it would have been with the sour cherries?) but all three finalists were gracious, nice and very likable, and Gabe was a very deserving winner. I hope its a good opportunity (at decent salary) for Tristen in NY. Sounds exciting!

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

I'm shocked that the contestant who's performed the best throughout the competition actually won! I don't see that very often on competition shows. I think Gabe is adorable and I'll be checking out his web series. I hope he can get some sour cherries for that show and make the duck the way he had envisioned it. I'm also happy for Marcus because he's been my favorite mentor so far.

I just loved Jonathan Waxman. Something about the way he talked and coached the contestants just made me happy; I almost felt my serotonin levels rising. 

Ludo was hilarious with the faces he was making at the end. I wonder which kitchen appliance he beat up afterwards. 

• Love 5

Oh my gosh it was so hard not to read this thread and spoil myself on the ending. I'm on the West Coast and I really did want to watch it unspoiled. I was pretty happy with the final 3. I think the only one that would've actually irritated me was if Eric was in there (well or Jen, but I knew she was out pretty quick). I don't know how Eric's food is, but his attitude sucks. I would've been happy with any of them winning, but was glad Gabe got it since he did so well the whole time. I liked how well they treated each other, too. They genuinely seemed happy for each other. Hopefully Ben got a job offer out of the whole thing too, even if it wasn't televised.

• Love 2

If I had to pick 3 people for the finals after Tarik was eliminated, these 3 would likely have been it.  Gabe deserved to win and Tristen deserved that job, so I have a good feeling about the ending.  Things happened as if they were eliminating based on my preferences.

As far as next season goes, I don't hold out much hope of either Nigella or AB not being mentors because they're producers.  I don't see the need for AB to step down, but I definitely do for Nigella.  It's beyond ridiculous already.  She's just about ruined her chances of ever having a winning contestant and anyone who would accept her offer would have to be picked by only her.  I think her ability to judge a good cook sucks as does her mentoring style.  She reminds me of "bosses from hell" from my past, AGGGGH!!!

All in all, it was an OK season but something irks me in general about it.  I think Tony made some mistakes and that's why he didn't win.  Sending Tarik home when he did was just not right.  I was also upset with Jen.  I didn't like her after her nastiness toward Vanessa.

• Love 1

Good finale!

I am a Bourdane fan and love his relationship with Ludo.  It is a major factor on the entertainment level, for me.   I do agree that Nigella should step aside for a serious female chef.  

I don't know how popular Gabe's web series will be.  Web series are in their infancy and not sure will get the exposure he needs to further his career, in the way Tristen will, at any rate.  Tristen got the best prize.  

• Love 4

So what was the deal with the sour cherries?  He intended for them to be fresh ones and the production got him jarred?  I didn't quite get it because he was saying "I don't have sour cherries" as he was opening the jar of what appeared to be sour cherries.

So what was the deal with the sour cherries?  He intended for them to be fresh ones and the production got him jarred?  I didn't quite get it because he was saying "I don't have sour cherries" as he was opening the jar of what appeared to be sour cherries.

I was confused on that, too.  Was it the fact they were canned and not fresh or sweet instead of sour?  

• Love 1

Nigella's team: Only Mia got any recognition at all, and it was negative.

Anthony's stars broke down: Gold-- Tom, 1; Tarik, 1. Red-- Tom, 3; Tarik, 1; Vanessa, 2; Eric, 3.

Ludo's star's: Gold--Natasha, 1; Dan, 1; Ben, 3; Jen, 1. Red--Natasha, 2; Dan, 2; Ben, 0; Jen, 4.

Marcus': Gold--Jake, 0; Joe, 1; Gabe, 7; Tristen, 3. Red--Jake, 1;Joe, 1; Gabe, 0; Tristen, 0.

With these numbers, it seems the show actually got the finale correct. Was there any doubt that Gabe would win? I didn't think so. Once the final cook off came up and they played so much film of him struggling and running into problems it was almost a certainty. I guess they could have been playing all that footage to convince us he didn't deserve to win, if he hadn't actually won.

Gabe's laid back, "hippie" personality annoyed me (reminded me too much of Pi on Castle) but it was obvious that he needed to win. 

I was confused on that, too.  Was it the fact they were canned and not fresh or sweet instead of sour?  

That was my interpretation also.

" the finalists might have been instructed to bring multiples of shirts...or both."

Likely the wardrobe department at work.

I was fascinated by this as well.  I'm going with multiple shirts, because when a sweat soaked shirt dries, it leaves salt stains on the fabric.  Also, he had on a completely different shirt for the talking heads near the end of the show.  Ben did, too.  Gabe was the only one with the same shirt on, so I was thinking that was a tell for the winner. 

Very silly -- this is what I focus on when I cannot taste the food!

• Love 1

Is there really going to be a season 4?  That surprises me.  I made it through but, man, two hour shows of this was just too long for this ol' gal.  

Nigella - oh, my.  A serious female chef would be a good choice IF there is a season 4; Nigella is just not such a chef which is why she always ends up with the ones no one else wants to mentor.  

I'm sure she's a swell person and I understand she is a producer but for so many week to pass with one less team is pretty pathetic.

I won't be watching again unless there is some major tinkering; watching judo's behavior is just such a turn off to the whole shebang for me.

But, it was sweet that the winner was someone who performed so great throughout the season.  Well done.

In my mind, I think Tristen is the real winner. He got a job offer with a great chef. Honestly, I wouldn't watch and won't be watching a web based cooking show, but best of luck to all of them!

I kind of felt bad for Ben. Tristen got a job, Gabe was the winner and Ben was just standing there all, 'What about me?".

• Love 6

In my mind, I think Tristen is the real winner. He got a job offer with a great chef. Honestly, I wouldn't watch and won't be watching a web based cooking show, but best of luck to all of them!

I kind of felt bad for Ben. Tristen got a job, Gabe was the winner and Ben was just standing there all, 'What about me?".

I've read runners up on other reality cooking shows saying they're thankful they took second or third place rather than winning, because they get the notoriety and likely the job offers without the obligations that come with winning. It's probably much the same here. 

Edited by ae2
  • Love 4

I love this show flaws and all.  I hope we get a 4th season!  There are many cooking shows I don't like and don't watch, Chopped and anything with Guy Fieri to name two. 

The Taste is one of the most interesting and enjoyable, for me.  

I hope to hear Ben got a juicy offer, if not from Ludo, from someone.   It was an oversight to allow him to just stand there for so long.  He handled it well but my heart lurched.  

• Love 3

Jen saying she learned enough from Ludo that she's going to blow off going to culinary school....right after over-salting some nasty-looking sausage gravy. Drop a piece of apple in there, stir for a few minutes, and your salt problem is gone. She needs to stick with her plan of going to school, in my opinion.

• Love 12

She is the only one who over salted anything.  Everyone else was criticized for not using enough salt.

I guess Vanessa wanted to be sure to stand out....she wore a hat and a short skirt and looked unhappy the times I saw her.  She could have faked some enthusiasm.  In the audience, Tarik was shown as being very supportive of his team member. A class act. I know which of the two I'd extend a job offer if I had one available.

They probably chose to show her "unhappy" face.  It plays into her story.  My hunch is that she was upbeat and okay with things.  

I'm pretty sure it was the latter, because (a) Gabe tasted one before saying "fuck", and (b) unless they filmed in June/July, it would have been just about impossible to get fresh sour cherries. 

Edited by chocolatine

From a recent tweet of Jen's, they filmed in September.  I almost hope that the PA's or whoever did the shopping for the contestants deliberately messed up one ingredient for each for the purposes of drama, because it would really suck if it was an honest mistake.  (OTOH, they might not have been able to find the sour cherries in whatever stores they went to.  I don't know if I've ever seen them in my supermarkets.)

(OTOH, they might not have been able to find the sour cherries in whatever stores they went to.  I don't know if I've ever seen them in my supermarkets.)

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but I've almost never seen sour cherries in the Seattle supermarkets I shop at - it could be similar in California. Where I'm from in Eastern Europe, we had both sweet and sour cherry trees in our back yard, so I know that the taste is very different, but I can see how a PA who's never eaten sour cherries would think that sweet cherries would do just as well.

• Love 1

From a recent tweet of Jen's, they filmed in September.  I almost hope that the PA's or whoever did the shopping for the contestants deliberately messed up one ingredient for each for the purposes of drama, because it would really suck if it was an honest mistake.  (OTOH, they might not have been able to find the sour cherries in whatever stores they went to.  I don't know if I've ever seen them in my supermarkets.)

I think it was an honest mistake.  I have seen both sweet and sour cherries in jars in the canned fruit isle.  An upscale market should have them frozen, too. 

Count me in as one who would have been happy with any of the final three winning it, but at the same time, feels like Gabe really was the best of the best. Nine gold stars is incredibly impressive. Enjoyed the season, enjoy the show. It has its faults, but overall, it's well worth watching in my opinion.

I issued this challenge years ago back at TWoP, but I can't resist repeating myself because it just blows me away every single time the situation presents itself...

Close your eyes, and attempt to determine whether the person speaking is Tony Bourdain or Jonathan Waxman.

It's freaking uncanny. I'm convinced that dogs and maybe dolphins are the only ones who can reliably distinguish between their voices. Every now and then Tony's might be just a tick higher-pitched, but most of the time, I'm not even sure most machines could tell the difference. And it's not just the tone. It's the cadence, the sentence structure, the accent (or lack thereof) and just about everything else.

• Love 6

Close your eyes, and attempt to determine whether the person speaking is Tony Bourdain or Jonathan Waxman

I'm glad it's not just me, because a few times when I was looking away, I wondered why Tony came back in to help them cook when he's supposed to be blind judging. :)

• Love 5

I hope that is true.  She has little reason to be unhappy, as it turns out.  But I can see her putting on an unhappy face to play into her own story as well. 

I meant the editor only showed shots of her face in repose to play into her storyline.  She probably wasn't unhappy at all.  Sometimes our faces when relaxed don't necessarily tell the feeling they seem to portray.  

Why is Thousand Island dressing on a burger or something called "white trash" food? Jen said it when she screwed up her gravy and Ludo chimed in to use Thousand Island and make it white trash. Then I think Gabe said the same thing later on.

• Love 2

I was wondering the same thing. And really what were the odds of them having fresh sour cherries around just in case?  (though they do have all kinds of unusual ingredients I wouldn't necessarily expect, so maybe it's not all that far fetched)

Why is Thousand Island dressing on a burger or something called "white trash" food? Jen said it when she screwed up her gravy and Ludo chimed in to use Thousand Island and make it white trash. Then I think Gabe said the same thing later on.

That was bugging me to. I couldn't understand why all of a sudden there was such a focus on "white trash food."  Is that a thing now?  Did they think that fit into the theme somehow?

I've never thought of it as white trash food. (What's white trash food? Just cheap food? McDonald's? Pop tarts? Sloppy joes? Apparently.)

But maybe the idea that it is comes from people mixing ketchup, mayo, and relish and calling it thousand island?

With the exception of SPAM, Funyuns, and pork rinds I buy pretty much everything in that photo in the link. Ludo used the term with enough glee that I knew he had to be making fun of people who don't wait in line at his restaurants. Then he goes on to say that Heinz is the only ketchup there is. I don't care for the term or what it makes fun of.

• Love 5

With the exception of SPAM, Funyuns, and pork rinds I buy pretty much everything in that photo in the link.

Fun fact:  My 8 year old likes broken Funyuns on top of her salads she takes to school.

• Love 3

With the exception of SPAM, Funyuns, and pork rinds I buy pretty much everything in that photo in the link. Ludo used the term with enough glee that I knew he had to be making fun of people who don't wait in line at his restaurants. Then he goes on to say that Heinz is the only ketchup there is. I don't care for the term or what it makes fun of.

I think it's a mean-spirited term and don't like it at all. Not surprised from Ludo, really, as he seems like a snob. But surprised to read here that Gabe would talk about "white trash" (i.e. poor people, perhaps with no post hs education). Really hate that snobbery. Phrases like that would be -particularly- odd from Bourdain with his love of poor people's cuisine around the world. I hope its not like vegetarianism which he indulges in other countries as part of the culture, but often ridicules in the U.S.  Chefs shouldn't look down on people just because they don't go to fine dining restaurants and may cook with inexpensive, perhaps processed ingredients at home.

I guess that was a good thing about adding Nigella, to try to broaden the concept of the show beyond "chefs" to include "home cooks" as experts, too. Too bad it didn't work out that way.

• Love 6

I agree that the term is offensive, but it was in the context of the "saints and sinners" theme. It seemed to me like some of the cooks interpreted it as "light/healthy vs. rich/decadent", while others interpreted it as "high-brow vs. low-brow". And when preparing/describing the low-brow food, that's where the unfortunate phrase came in.

Edited by chocolatine

I'd be willing to believe that Ludo is not entirely hip to the history of the phrase, "white trash". At any rate, I don't think we should take his tv persona too seriously. (Same for Anthony).

Close your eyes, and attempt to determine whether the person speaking is Tony Bourdain or Jonathan Waxman.

I never noticed this before, but it really stood out for me this time. Must be a New York thing.

Nice! And good for her. She really does have hidden depths, I guess. I wish more shows would follow up with what people go on to do after the series is over. I'm sure Gabe & Ben will have good careers as well but I'd like to hear about them. I'd like to hear from Marcus & Tristan, too.

This was the first time I watched the show. It was interesting. I plan to watch more if it's renewed.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sure it was the latter, because (a) Gabe tasted one before saying "fuck", and (b) unless they filmed in June/July, it would have been just about impossible to get fresh sour cherries. 

Here in Texas, cherries are already in the stores and weren't a gazillion dollars a pound

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they sound alike. I was half ass watching and it was uncanny!