Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Buddy is adorable and I wish you both years of happiness.

Thank you!!  I have to stop myself from boring people with all his new little milestones and back story.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jordan Baker said:

No!! Buddy is what we all need now.

Okay you asked for it. 

Last night we were out for a walk and I ran into a neighbor who I hadn't seen for a while. So she was petting Bud etc.  I looked down at him and he had this look on his face like "hold me", so I picked him up.  (he weighs about 14 lbs)

Kept chatting with my neighbor.

Within a couple minutes, he's not only asleep in my arms, but snoring. 

13 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Ask yourself, WWMD?  And do the opposite.

Well I don't purposely scare him for my own amusement and then laff about it. 😲 (remember the little pig?)

(I think she learned that from her mother) 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

My life is pretty much social distancing personified and we have a small office (9 employees) and we all sit pretty far apart so I'm about the same.  

How's everybody else? 

I'm an introvert by nature, and so being forced to stay in the house, read, do puzzles, watch TV, etc.? Not that bad. But I also know that I'm lucky because I'm retired and don't have to make the decision about going to work.

And, on another bright note, as I told Mr. JB, not going out to eat saves money!

On the down side, I'm in Florida. 

Seriously, I am worried, more for my children and grandchild than for myself. 

I hope everyone will check in with status updates.

• Love 6

I had about a 60 second panic the other night, thinking "what IF I get sick and have to go to hospital, who will take care of Buddy". But then a friend re assured me I have people who can come over and let him out and hang out with him etc. 

Indiana doesn't have very may cases 39 at last count in 19 counties and 2 deaths, but they were both elderly people who had several other medical conditions. 

I do hope in the next few weeks we get tests and number of cases start flattening out so businesses don't suffer too much.  

• Love 6

Just saw on The Guardian Twitter feed that Japan has virus drug that is effective in 91% of cases, China is praising it and stock in the company is sky rocketing. 

Hopefully FDA will waive extensive testing and get it the F over here. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I am responding to something in the Discussion thread.  Porcelain eggs in the lady parts?  Gwynneth Paltrow does this?  And advises others?  Let me see if I understand this....

Why?  Are they (the eggs) the size of hard-boiled ones or robin's?  Can you get them in colors? Do you walk around with them stuck up there?  If so, how do they not fall out.  And onto the floor, sidewalk, etc.  Do you only use them during sex?  Wouldn't that make things a bit crowded?

Okay, I am a Boomer who came of age in the 60's.  We tried crazy things but it would never have occurred to me to stick hard eggs into my you-know.  I am beginning to see why people dislike Ms. Paltrow; or at least think she is foolish.  Wait!  She is Meeka without Joe and his wallet.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Eliot said:

Kemper, how is Mr. Kemper doing?

Things on the health-front with Mr. Kemper have improved; he has an optimistic nature and we keep one another entertained, bolster one another and sometimes cry with one another.   But we laugh a lot; Mr. Kemper is back to cursing Joe (and using the F word again!), he makes fun of the daily "press briefings" and heaves a few epitaphs at most everyone who steps up to the microphone.   We are reduced to FaceTiming with family; so we make a wee party out of it; I set up the iPad so it looks like we are having a fireside chat; we pour cocktails (sadly, right now, Mr. Kemper is reduced to O'Doul's) and we let the conversations fly. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I love reading this Board first thing and see the snark and opinions.  We need to keep doing this....can you imagine not having anyone to bitch about in the morning?  Other than the usual news makers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Things on the health-front with Mr. Kemper have improved; he has an optimistic nature and we keep one another entertained, bolster one another and sometimes cry with one another.

I’m glad to hear his health has improved and he’s back to cursing Joe! 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

She is Meeka without Joe and his wallet.  

Gwynnie could buy & sell Mika and Joe ten times over. 

Between her acting career and GOOP, her net worth in 2019 was $100 million. 

Glad to hear Mr. Kemper is better!! 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5

It cheers me up to have this place and have such a nice group of virtual friends! Mr. Blue is retired and I stopped working shortly after he did. No kids, no family...each an only child...so we just have each other to watch out for. He's pretty laid back about everything and I do my best to "adapt and overcome" as he is so fond of saying. (Retired military!) I had a MAJOR freakout yesterday before starting dinner: the water in the kitchen was suddenly all cloudy and dirty looking...no apparent reason so I panic called the water dept. and was told whatever the problem was it was on MY end and I better call a plumber! Yikes! No strangers allowed during this time!! Of course, we don't really believe in the bottled water need as most people now seem to feel is a necessary item so I don't have a garage full of it and there isn't any in any store now. I "collect" them from places that offer them so had a few but freaked...we ran around trying all the faucets inside and out and the others seemed just a little cloudy. I ran the kitchen faucet for quite awhile and after about 45 min, it was back to normal!! Whew. Fine this morning, too, but I soaked the nozzle and aerator all night in vinegar...I do it monthly here d/t the hard TX water. 

I wish I'd given up TP for Lent!!! Is there any anywhere? Luckily, I'd bought a case at Sam's before this started. Sadly, I gave up bourbon and that bottle was calling my name last night!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Mr. Kemper being back to cursing Joe made me think of my Great Uncle Lou, one of my favorite relatives.  He was a very smart and well read man who lived with his sister who was the opposite, so he was known for his patience.  When he had a stroke, she was implying to people that his brain was gone rather than that he was having speech problems.  Then my aunt (his niece) came to visit.  She had ripped off my siblings and I when my father died, stealing everything she could from the house.  Even took the snow tires off the car!  Uncle Lou saw her and cursed her out with a combination of swear words and literary and biblical references spoken in English and Latin.  It was the kind of scene you would think only a screen writer would concoct.  My great aunt did the hand signals like he was not right in the head.  He yelled at her I know exactly what I am saying and that woman is one of the worst human beings to ever grace this earth with her vile presence.  So yes, one sign of getting better is knowing who to curse and doing it with aplomb.   Welcome back, Mr. Kemper, to the people telling Joe exactly what we think of him.  Let your language make his ears burn! 

• Love 9

Princess, your family sounds a bit like mine...a mix of Irish and Italian.  Mr. Kemper is from a gentle Southern Baptist family, so it was a bit of culture shock to him.  But he adapted quickly and they loved him.  At the time he had his hair (dark and curly) really long with a beard.  No one in my family had ever brought anyone home who looked like him.  The first family "heated" discussion wowed him ; he had a hard time closing his mouth.  The most amazing thing was that after it was over, everyone sat down together, ate and drank.  I am trying to give up saying the "F" word for lent.  I am paying quarters into a jar.

Plumbago...I feel your pain.  I had no hand sanitizer (well, maybe one of those small sample bottles you get from the grocery/drug store bins); had not much toilet paper or paper towels. And a six-pack of water from this past summer.  I made hand sanitizer from 70% rubbing alcohol and aloe vera; it smells awful.  And I would have been a wreck with your water situation.  Glad it turned out okay.

• Love 5

I actually had to turn the show off this morning; the over-the-top hysteria, lecturing and shouting both terrifies and enrages me.  Here we are - many of us "sheltering in place", watching more tv than we have ever watched in our lifetimes.  My husband is sick, I cannot hug my kids and we are in the middle of a pandemic.  I need toilet paper! I just want the facts; I don't want hysteria, yelling, shrillness and constant doomsday reporting.  I know it is bad...I know it could get way worse; my local news does such a good job of reporting on this.  

Joe and Meeka are not helpful and not professional.  Stephanie Ruhle does it without Schrmeeking (combination of shrieking and Meeka).  Other anchors can do this without bringing doomsday down on us all.  To give them their due. I don't think The Twins are alone in this.  This morning I retreated into watching very old reruns of the NY Housewives.  Good times.

• Love 4
On 3/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, Kemper said:

I am responding to something in the Discussion thread.  Porcelain eggs in the lady parts?  Gwynneth Paltrow does this?  And advises others?  Let me see if I understand this....

I forgot to mention this when I replied to your post awhile back:

She also sells candles with a scent called "This Smells Like My Vagina" for $75.

Gwyneth definitely knows her value, and the sad thing is that she's laughing all the way to the bank. 

"Kemper - pick up your jaw, it's on the floor!"

• LOL 4
9 hours ago, suomi said:

She also sells candles with a scent called "This Smells Like My Vagina" for $75.

"Kemper - pick up your jaw, it's on the floor!"

Sweet Jesus...there is a scent other than "needs washing" or no scent?  I admit I have a grudging admiration for Gwyneth -  because yes, suomi, she is laughing all the way to the bank.  With Meeka, I think she actually believes (!) the tired schtick she peddles.  Sad. 😁 

I hate to admit this but without Meeka's delusions, shrieking, over-emoting and hysteria; without Joe's pompousness and yelling...would we still tune in?  It is just that some days we need calm; that is why lately I tune to old reruns (oxymoron?) or CNN.  At least CNN gives you the terrible news without the Oscar-worthy drama.  Well, sometimes.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Kemper said:

With Meeka, I think she actually believes (!) the tired schtick she peddles.  Sad. 😁 

I hate to admit this but without Meeka's delusions, shrieking, over-emoting and hysteria; without Joe's pompousness and yelling...would we still tune in?  It is just that some days we need calm; that is why lately I tune to old reruns (oxymoron?) or CNN.  At least CNN gives you the terrible news without the Oscar-worthy drama.  Well, sometimes.

I think that Mika is frustrated that she had to cancel her KYV seminars until further notice.

This is a loss of revenue for her. She also can't spend as much time plugging her seminars & KYV tips during this crisis.

I watch CNBC in the morning to get an update on the stock market & record Morning Joe on the DVR.

Joe's doomsaying just got mentioned on Fox News. He was called a nutbag on Fox News by Greg Gutfield for saying that Trump wants to euthanize WW2 veterans.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, oakville said:

This is a loss of revenue for her. She also can't spend as much time plugging her seminars & KYV tips during this crisis.

MSNBC is still paying her and Joe millions, so it's not like she is going to be homeless any time soon.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

MSNBC is still paying her and Joe millions, so it's not like she is going to be homeless any time soon.

This is true. However, I think Mika was happier when she could use the show to promote her personal business interests.

Joe is upset that the show won't be getting any additional revenue from Bloomberg & other political advertisers. This will affect his bonus.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe's doomsaying just got mentioned on Fox News. He was called a nutbag on Fox News by Greg Gutfield for saying that Trump wants to euthanize WW2 veterans.

Greg G calling Joe a nutbag? Wouldn't this be a case of I Know You Are But What Am I?

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Greg G calling Joe a nutbag? Wouldn't this be a case of I Know You Are But What Am I?

Battle of the blowhards :)

I watch the news from France 2 in french to get a better technical explanation of how the virus is affecting people.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

admit I have a grudging admiration for Gwyneth -  because yes, suomi, she is laughing all the way to the bank.  With Meeka, I think she actually believes (!) the tired schtick she peddles.

Gwyneth believes it.  Her stuff is expensive but effective, the health and beauty and fitness stuff anyhow.  Gwyneth and Mika would've been in high school together.  They're 4 years apart.  Mika looks old enough to be Gwyneth's mom. 

Fwiw, a vagina scented candle as a way for a woman to symbolically (if vulgarly) embrace the center point of her womanhood, her femininity, is a hundred million times more legitimately empowering than Mika's KYV word salad horseshit.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, oakville said:

I think Mika was happier when she could use the show to promote her personal business interests.

Yeah, me too. As Landsnark so aptly labeled it above, her KYV word salad horseshit is where she is most comfortable...just a bunch of oft repeated platitudes and metaphors with no real substance. No facts, figures, no deep thought. Very shallow waters. That is why she is struggling so much with real world issues now. I have stopped doing my daily drive-by's as the show does not offer content I can't get elsewhere by professionals. BTW, how's that Cosmo advice hot line working out? Anyone?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Her stuff is expensive but effective, the health and beauty and fitness stuff anyhow.

I read a review of her $90 cleansing balm,  guess what?  "Remove your make up first".  So on top of $90 you have to use something else to get the make up off? 

Or, for half the price Tatcha cleansing oil will remove your make up, clean your skin and leave it soft and moisturized. 

Fwiw, a vagina scented candle as a way for a woman to symbolically (if vulgarly

If I want my house to smell like my bathing suit area, I can just not bathe for a week.  Or cook some salmon.

Same effect as a $75 Vajayjay candle. 

YMMV. 🙂

• LOL 1

I think that Joe will get very angry at being featured in a pro Trump ad. He complimented Trump for doing what he had to do on the Coronavirus.

Joe will not appreciate having his comments being  used to support Trump.

• LOL 2

Wasn't Dana Bash (I love Jeremy Bash, by the way...think he is very handsome)...also married to the John something on CNN?  She seems to go for nice-looking guys.  Wonder if she is married now.  I do remember she and the CNN John had a baby; and maybe they divorced not a real long time after that.  I may be dis-remembering.  And why do I know these useless things?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Wasn't Dana Bash (I love Jeremy Bash, by the way...think he is very handsome)...also married to the John something on CNN?  She seems to go for nice-looking guys.  Wonder if she is married now.  I do remember she and the CNN John had a baby; and maybe they divorced not a real long time after that.  I may be dis-remembering.  And why do I know these useless things?

She was married to John King on CNN. They still appear on shows together & are very polite with each other. I suspect that Dana got frustrated with John King who spent too much time playing with the CNN magic wall on election nights. He spends hours on those screens talking to Wolf Blizer.

Can you imagine Mika & Joe hosting a show together if they ever got divorced ?

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Meeka and Joe hosting a show together post-divorce?  I would pay to see it...PAY, I tell you.  However, I don't think they will ever divorce; they are a brand.  You will have to pry him out of Meeka's cold hands.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

She was married to John King on CNN. They still appear on shows together & are very polite with each other. I suspect that Dana got frustrated with John King who spent too much time playing with the CNN magic wall on election nights. He spends hours on those screens talking to Wolf Blizer.

Dana and John have a son. So I suspect that may have helped their professional relationship as well their personal relationship. 

However,  I do remember that when their marriage originally went south they were not on the air at the same time or in the same studo. It's changed quite a lot. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 4
On 3/28/2020 at 10:04 AM, oakville said:

John King was on the air on CNN on the night that Osama Bin Laden was killed.  He was slurring his words and seemed a little tipsy.  The killing of Bin Laden occurred on the same day as the White House Correspondents Dinner. 

It is interesting watching Dana and John on election night.  Even when they are on the set at the same time, they never talk to each other during the broadcast. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Joe and Heilemann are talking hard core politics this morning.  They have described the governor of FL's behavior as reckless.  FL is deemed to be the next COVID 19 hotspot. 

Where I live in FL I'm lucky that the mayor (a Republican) listened to the city council and started to adopt strict rules over three weeks ago. Although not a lockdown. 

It's worrisome that DeSantis is so inward thinking that we are not only marching straight into the headwinds of the Coronavirus but June 1st is the start of hurricane season. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if Mika had a mastectomy or had an issue with one of her implants? She looked distinctly mismatched in the pink top she wore this morning and it's very noticable in the stills and video that oakville linked from the Daily Caller. It would explain many of her wardrobe tics and tweaks during the last year or so.

I don't see her as someone who would step forward to represent as a cancer survivor who opted for surgical restoration, critics be damned. Or as someone whose body reacted badly to implants. But it is odd that she looks very different than she has in the last year. 

The most obvious "new and improved" Mika occurred right around the time Stormy Daniels/Michael Avenatti came on the scene.

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 2

Every show there's a lot of hand wringing about the urgency of a NOVID 19 vaccine.

Does anyone have any confidence that in 12 to 18 months when there hopefully is a vaccine available, that everyone (that wants one) will actually be able to have one 

I have my doubts.  Based on the current state of hospitals and doctors getting tests, masks or just basic medical supplies is not a positive sign.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, suomi said:

I wonder if Mika had a mastectomy or had an issue with one of her implants? She looked distinctly mismatched in the pink top she wore this morning and it's very noticable in the stills and video that oakville linked from the Daily Caller. It would explain many of her wardrobe tics and tweaks during the last year or so.

I don't see her as someone who would step forward to represent as a cancer survivor who opted for surgical restoration, critics be damned. Or as someone whose body reacted badly to implants. But it is odd that she looks very different than she has in the last year. 

The most obvious "new and improved" Mika occurred right around the time Stormy Daniels/Michael Avenatti came on the scene.

Oh my God, please don't put this into my head; if she has had a mastectomy I will forever feel guilty about making fun of her.  Because as my best friend says .... it is always always about us.

I haven't noticed any crookedness but then again, she wears those shrouds a good bit of the time.  And now for the handbasket awaiting me...

If she truly had a mastectomy (God , please no) - I cannot believe she would not have exploited and used that to boost her KYV stock.  And write another book.  

• Love 4

We can take this to small talk, but is Tiger King worth it?

I heard on a podcast recap there are scenes of animal cruelty, and I'm out if so. Also, I am not really in the mood for dipshits.  Main reason I don't watch the JoMika Power Hour. 

It's probably not for you @teddysmom. There are scenes where animals are mistreated and everybody in it is a dipshit.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

It's probably not for you @teddysmom. There are scenes where animals are mistreated and everybody in it is a dipshit.

My son told me not to watch it...that the mistreatment of animals would send me off the deep end.  And Lord knows there is enough going on right now, everyday on my tv screen to give me nightmares for weeks.  Although...

Someone yesterday was interviewing Kamala Harris and she said that she had binged on this series because it is so crazy.  

• Love 1

August 2011, a couple months before the promo video oakville posted, when Joey was still married (barely) and they used to end the show by standing around as they answered the question "What have we learned today?'

• Love 3
(edited)

Ha, oakville, you were on to something  about the deleted scene but it dimly rings a bell that Mika-in-bed-with-Donny was the opening scene in an episode of his sitcom that didn't last very long. Joe did insist on it being deleted later. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

That 3-minute promo you posted got a lot of flak in 2011 (when Joe was still wearing his wedding ring) and he and Yoko were miffed about the bad press.

Gee, what's not to love? Joe and Willie partying with Louis Bergdorf and without their wives, Joe shooting craps in an alley and passing out in a hotel room next to some wormy guy, Bergdorf kicking in the door in time to defribrillate Joe so he can slug his breakfast from a pint bottle, Mika's speed wake rousing a passed-out Barnicle on a sidewalk bench who then looks at his watch and mouths "Oh shit," Mika knocking a bottle from (I think) Heilemann's hands at a food truck (I dunno, maybe he wasn't tall enough to be Heilemann), Mika stealing a pair of shoes from someone exiting a cab (one of the Sex And The City actresses?), Louis burning up a pedi-cab to get Joe to 30 Rock on time where Donny is operating the elevator.

Glynnis MacNichol at Business Insider described it best:

Fun stuff.  And presumably viewers are supposed to be reassured that they are watching the coolest show on television.  Less reassuringly, it also manages to sum up quite succinctly the increasingly hard to watch dynamic of Morning Joe, in which Joe and company behave like bad little boys and sexy Mika scolds them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/morning-joe-promo-smoking-video-2011-11

https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2011/11/morning-joes-icky-promo-041104

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2011/11/morning-joe-doesnt-get-why-its-new-promotion-sexist/335012/

http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com/2011/12/morning-joes-sexist-icky-frat-boy-promo.html

The head-scratcher is the disappearance of the 2014 promo called Morning Jolt (Three years after the first KYV book was published).

Remember when Joe wanted Google to be "fixed" because he didn't like Joe Scarborough search results? Morning Jolt AFAIK was scrubbed from the internet. Various sites that promote Video Below or See It offer no video. Sites that promote Watch It At MSNBC link to ... nothing. Only one article about it remains. Some excerpts:

Why Does ‘Morning Joe’ Throw Mika Into the Toilet? Can’t any of you chicks take a joke?

On The Daily Show last week, Samantha Bee did a nearly seven-minute bit on MJ, portraying Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski and supporting players as a sicko family. It was painfully unfunny, but it did get in some jabs about how the “boy pundits” are “always completely agreeing with their dad.”

The more amusing and yet more damning parody of the show, however, came in the form of “Morning Jolt,” a 4:23-minute video from Morning Joe itself. Launched last week, with clips from it now running as MSNBC promos, “Morning Jolt” (see it below) inadvertently reveals why the relationship between Joe and Mika, and between Joe and the boy pundits, is getting increasingly hard to watch.

“Morning Jolt” is intended to be a self-deprecating and obviously exaggerated look at what the MJ crew goes through to get to work in the still dark hours of the morning. They did something similar in 2011, in a bit panned as “icky” and sexist - Joe and the boys carouse all night while Mika jogs before dawn in a skin-tight dress. But this newest video moves beyond sexism: the real jolt is the smell of a little S&M in the morning.

Mika portrays herself (as she often does on the show) as an overly diligent but discombobulated dame. She drops her coffee and her many newspapers; she trips and breaks a stiletto heel; driving herself to work (what, no limo?), she nearly runs over a construction worker and parks her SUV right on a Rockefeller Center sidewalk.

Joe is the laid-back screw-up, a guy’s guy who oversleeps and casually rebels - when the alarm clock rings at an ungodly hour, he throws it onto a pile of other clocks.

It’s then that the promo starts to edge into Republican war-on-women territory. When Mika calls and Joe sees her photo on his smart phone, he hurls it too, but this time into the toilet. Other cell phones marinating there indicate that she bothers him daily. So, hmmm… maybe she’s a little unstable, stalker-ish even - the next time we see Mika’s picture on a cell, she's bugging sex symbol Bradley Cooper, who tosses his phone into the trash. The camera catches Brzezinski’s face landing on a paper plate smeared with leftovers.

Putting her face in the toilet and then the trash is simply demeaning. It’s odd that Mika (not to mention the show’s producers) would want to blare that to a national audience.

Joe, however, operates from a [more] passive-aggressive place. There’s an anger in him that he denies but can’t quite hide from view. For her part, Mika swings between vigorously defending herself and willingly making herself the butt of a joke gone ugly.

Joe, of course, wants us to believe he’s just horsing around, and the video’s fantastical morning commutes are supposed to clue us in: Scarborough stands in the prow of a small boat crossing the Hudson, à la Washington crossing the Delaware, as if he’s invading New York to bring some red-state virtue to Sin City. The guys - Mike Barnicle, Willie Geist, Mark Halperin, John Heilemann, Donnie Deutsch, Steve Rattner, Dan Senor, et al. (Tina Brown is one of only two women; Al Sharpton’s the sole black person) - arrive together on the subway, like working-class stiffs, setting them apart and below the more individualistic Joe.

Mika and the boys humor Joe, and themselves, that he’s only kidding. But hoping you’re not going to be flushed down the can isn’t the same thing as love.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/why-does-morning-joe-throw-mika-toilet/

The video of their big blow-up, when he snapped his fingers at her, has disappeared. Only her apology to him remains. Looks like he did get Google fixed. Imagine that. 

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, suomi said:

The video of their big blow-up, when he snapped his fingers at her, has disappeared. Only her apology to him remains. Looks like he did get Google fixed. Imagine that. 

He didn't fix Google. Networks can take down videos that they own.  He got MSNBC to take it down. Can you imagine if BeBop saw it? Talk about the shit hitting the chainsaw. 

So unless someone had it privately and posted to YouTube, it's gone. 

Let's face it, we all know what a bunch of jackasses they have always been.  The fact Mika went along with this just re enforces that she has no business preaching to women about how to behave. 

The video of her dancing with Jonathan Capehart is pathetic.  Why not just stand in front of Joe & disrobe? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Ha, oakville, you were on to something  about the deleted scene but it dimly rings a bell that Mika-in-bed-with-Donny was the opening scene in an episode of his sitcom that didn't last very long. Joe did insist on it being deleted later. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

That 3-minute promo you posted got a lot of flak in 2011 (when Joe was still wearing his wedding ring) and he and Yoko were miffed about the bad press.

Gee, what's not to love? Joe and Willie partying with Louis Bergdorf and without their wives, Joe shooting craps in an alley and passing out in a hotel room next to some wormy guy, Bergdorf kicking in the door in time to defribrillate Joe so he can slug his breakfast from a pint bottle, Mika's speed wake rousing a passed-out Barnicle on a sidewalk bench who then looks at his watch and mouths "Oh shit," Mika knocking a bottle from (I think) Heilemann's hands at a food truck (I dunno, maybe he wasn't tall enough to be Heilemann), Mika stealing a pair of shoes from someone exiting a cab (one of the Sex And The City actresses?), Louis burning up a pedi-cab to get Joe to 30 Rock on time where Donny is operating the elevator.

Glynnis MacNichol at Business Insider described it best:

Fun stuff.  And presumably viewers are supposed to be reassured that they are watching the coolest show on television.  Less reassuringly, it also manages to sum up quite succinctly the increasingly hard to watch dynamic of Morning Joe, in which Joe and company behave like bad little boys and sexy Mika scolds them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/morning-joe-promo-smoking-video-2011-11

https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2011/11/morning-joes-icky-promo-041104

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2011/11/morning-joe-doesnt-get-why-its-new-promotion-sexist/335012/

http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com/2011/12/morning-joes-sexist-icky-frat-boy-promo.html

The head-scratcher is the disappearance of the 2014 promo called Morning Jolt (Three years after the first KYV book was published).

Remember when Joe wanted Google to be "fixed" because he didn't like Joe Scarborough search results? Morning Jolt AFAIK was scrubbed from the internet. Various sites that promote Video Below or See It offer no video. Sites that promote Watch It At MSNBC link to ... nothing. Only one article about it remains. Some excerpts:

Why Does ‘Morning Joe’ Throw Mika Into the Toilet? Can’t any of you chicks take a joke?

On The Daily Show last week, Samantha Bee did a nearly seven-minute bit on MJ, portraying Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski and supporting players as a sicko family. It was painfully unfunny, but it did get in some jabs about how the “boy pundits” are “always completely agreeing with their dad.”

The more amusing and yet more damning parody of the show, however, came in the form of “Morning Jolt,” a 4:23-minute video from Morning Joe itself. Launched last week, with clips from it now running as MSNBC promos, “Morning Jolt” (see it below) inadvertently reveals why the relationship between Joe and Mika, and between Joe and the boy pundits, is getting increasingly hard to watch.

“Morning Jolt” is intended to be a self-deprecating and obviously exaggerated look at what the MJ crew goes through to get to work in the still dark hours of the morning. They did something similar in 2011, in a bit panned as “icky” and sexist - Joe and the boys carouse all night while Mika jogs before dawn in a skin-tight dress. But this newest video moves beyond sexism: the real jolt is the smell of a little S&M in the morning.

Mika portrays herself (as she often does on the show) as an overly diligent but discombobulated dame. She drops her coffee and her many newspapers; she trips and breaks a stiletto heel; driving herself to work (what, no limo?), she nearly runs over a construction worker and parks her SUV right on a Rockefeller Center sidewalk.

Joe is the laid-back screw-up, a guy’s guy who oversleeps and casually rebels - when the alarm clock rings at an ungodly hour, he throws it onto a pile of other clocks.

It’s then that the promo starts to edge into Republican war-on-women territory. When Mika calls and Joe sees her photo on his smart phone, he hurls it too, but this time into the toilet. Other cell phones marinating there indicate that she bothers him daily. So, hmmm… maybe she’s a little unstable, stalker-ish even - the next time we see Mika’s picture on a cell, she's bugging sex symbol Bradley Cooper, who tosses his phone into the trash. The camera catches Brzezinski’s face landing on a paper plate smeared with leftovers.

Putting her face in the toilet and then the trash is simply demeaning. It’s odd that Mika (not to mention the show’s producers) would want to blare that to a national audience.

Joe, however, operates from a [more] passive-aggressive place. There’s an anger in him that he denies but can’t quite hide from view. For her part, Mika swings between vigorously defending herself and willingly making herself the butt of a joke gone ugly.

Joe, of course, wants us to believe he’s just horsing around, and the video’s fantastical morning commutes are supposed to clue us in: Scarborough stands in the prow of a small boat crossing the Hudson, à la Washington crossing the Delaware, as if he’s invading New York to bring some red-state virtue to Sin City. The guys - Mike Barnicle, Willie Geist, Mark Halperin, John Heilemann, Donnie Deutsch, Steve Rattner, Dan Senor, et al. (Tina Brown is one of only two women; Al Sharpton’s the sole black person) - arrive together on the subway, like working-class stiffs, setting them apart and below the more individualistic Joe.

Mika and the boys humor Joe, and themselves, that he’s only kidding. But hoping you’re not going to be flushed down the can isn’t the same thing as love.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/why-does-morning-joe-throw-mika-toilet/

Excellent analysis Suomi. The "wormy guy" that Joe was next too in bed was the British soccer analyst they had on the show that time. He would get a 5 minute segment to talk about UK soccer. Joe was the only one who talked to him. Mika would start reading the newspaper or clean out her purse during the segments.

I do remember the "Morning Jolt " ad. It was weird.

• Love 2