Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Still listening to Texas discogs. Two albums left. Though, yeah... after Rick's Road in 1993, they changed style from acoustic/country rock to alternative rock, which actually to my ears sounds like club music, and most of the songs are just background noise. Though, since I'm creating lists of bands songs that I liked, I put a handful of them in to those lists, but it does not necessarily mean that I liked them. It's just from all the meh songs those songs stood out the most lol. I can't really imagine that two last albums will be any different.

Hmm... which song to put from the Conversation (2013) album? Hmmm... yeah, Conversation.

EDIT:

Okey, their last album "Hi" is pretty good. Surprised me out of nowhere when they did a collab with Wu-Tang Clan, but probably the most chillax song in the album was "Had A Hard Day".

Overall, since Rick's Road, they went ABBA music road more or less. For me, their albums since then was a hit or miss, but they still had some pretty decent songs. Though, for me, their best album is White On Blonde (1997).

Edited by Rushmoras

Currently on the last Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy" (2008). This is the only album, from which I never heard any songs, all I knew is that it received some pretty mixed signals and I was dreading it like Metallica's "Saint Anger", but... "Chinese Democracy" is pretty good, not on "Use your Illusion" level, but way above "Spaghetti Incident".

(edited)

Decided to listen to songs in my local language, and decided to go with an artist, with whose music I've been familiar with for a very long time, and he's probably regarded as one of the classic artists of modern Lithuanian pop-rock genre. After all these years, I've forgotten what a banger Marijonas Mikutavičius 2004 album "Pasveikinkit vieni kitus" ("Congratulate yourselfs") was.

"Atsisveikinimas" ("Farewell") - a duet with Aistė Smilgevičiūtė (became popular in Lithuanian for her band's songs about heroic deeds of the past, I guess it could fall in to folk-rock genre); a song about a knight going off to war and leaving his lover at home to wait for him.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Second album of M. Mikutavičius "Baigėme mokyklą" ("We Graduated From School") from 2008. Compared to the first one, pretty lacklustre. Apart from a couple of more meaningful songs whole album IMO is pretty boring. The ending song of the album of the same name talks about shattered hopes and dreams after graduating, people not accomplishing the goals that they've set during their youth, world bringing them down.

• Love 1
(edited)

His last studio album "Lengvas būdas mesti klausytis" ("Easy Way To Quit Listening") from 2014 is just as good as the first one. Also, this song is when you just need one more song to complete the album, and you create some repetitive funny shit just for giggles (its in English, BTW) 😄

And the most saddest/beautiful song in the album "Balintos sienos" (Whitened Walls). About break-up and the feelings you cope with afterwards. Piano version.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Enslaved - Building With Fire. Sometimes I forget how good they are with clean vocals. It's just the right combination of clean vocals and distortion pedals. What else is like it? Stuff like Blind Guardian and the other power metallers are a little too light on. Maybe Arcturus.

• Love 1

Aistė Smilgevičiūtė ir grupė Skylė (Aiste Smilgeviciute and Group "Skyle") live concert from St. Catherine's Church in Vilnius from 2009. Overall, pretty good performance, found only two songs in the whole set-list meh, but even then the delivery was fine.

Currently on the semi-last song called "Ruduo" (Autumn), wherein it is sung about... well, Autumn and what people and animals are doing during that period at that moment.

Continuing on the discog of Aistė Smilgevičiūtė ir grupė SKYLĖ. 5 albums in. Since 2010 they chosen a heavier sound with electric guitars verging on folk-hardrock/metal most of the times. Themes either patriotic songs about war or songs encompassed in folk fairy-tales. Overall, pretty good. So far, "Broliai" ("Brothers") from 2010 and "Vilko Vartai" ("Wolven Gates") from 2015 are their strongest albums.

Approximate lyrics in English of this song.

Song title: A Star and Grasshopper

[Man: As Grasshopper] Each night,
When all the stars naked become,
As a grasshopper I lean to the wall,
With my skirt I lean towards vodka and with my eyes I see the sky.
Therein there's my star, though I know it's not mine,
I love her afar, while gazing only through a window.
But, if she does not come down to earth,
Tomorrow, I will really move towards Heaven.

[Woman: As Star] Oh, poor boy you, you think that is love unrequited?
Even though I love you, I shall not come to you.
"Happily Ever After" is only in fairytales,
Loneliness and freedom is meant for the stars.
Though, I cannot live without your melodies.
I shiver and differ from others.
You even made me blush with hot poison,
Alas, I cannot marry a Grasshopper.

[Woman: As Star] Only for tonight,
Our passion will burn the skies down,
Only for an hour to kiss you and bite you.

[Man: As Grasshopper] Will I for the whole brightest night
Will Be Able to Love You?
This is what's called "The Ever After".

[Man: As Grasshopper] The most bitter spirits does not intoxicate me,
Women are too blank, cinders too cold for tonight.
I know that love - an animal untamed,
Though, I am at fault, cause I let it inside.
I know that people like us will never get shining dames,
I know, would not be able to carry you in my arms.
But, if she does not come down to earth,
Tomorrow, I will really move towards Heaven.

[Woman: As Star] You are only midnight exception,
You're not even here - only a sweet sin of love.
But its not what's most important.
You must touch your bare naked star,
Drink your Life Glass,
Love, Write and Yell Yourself Out.
Dream forever to reach your star,
Even though just for one night...

• Love 1

Last studio album of Aistė Smilgevičiūtė ir grupė SKYLĖ (Aiste Smilgeviciute and group SKYLE) called "Gervaza Dūzgės" (not sure how to translate it, but possibly "Good afterparty") from 2020. Um... how do I explain this album... the songs are sung in rural dialect. That's the gist of the album. Overall, kinda meh compared to their previous ones.

Track from spotify (hard-rock/metal style song). Not gonna bother translating the lyrics, because... um... I have no idea what's the song really about lol. EDIT: actually tried reading the lyrics, and yeah... its either about personification of the cold period or they are singing about a cold hearted woman. I really don't know...

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 1

Pink Floyd recorded a first song in 28 years in support of Ukraine, teaming with the Ukrainian musician Andriy Khlyvnyuk, who has joined Ukrainian defence and has recently recorded a version of Ukrainian folk song, which became viral. Pink Floyd's song is kind of mix of that and their music. Sounds quite badass to me:

• Love 3

Was driving home from work this morning when i heard a song on the local oldies station (60s-70s).  I heard this really cool song but never heard it before!  I did a lyric search and found out it was a song by Tommy James & The Shondells called, "Sugar On Sunday".  

I'm so glad to hear this tune because so many other songs he sang like Crimson & Clover and Mony, Mony seem to get the most airtime around here!

Another group called, The Clique recorded the song and managed to take it to 22 on the charts back in 1969.

Makes one wonder what the hell happened to good music!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

There's good and bad in every era. But as time goes on, the old bad is pushed out of our brains by new stuff. We only remember the good.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/12/2022 at 12:51 PM, magicdog said:

Was driving home from work this morning when i heard a song on the local oldies station (60s-70s).  I heard this really cool song but never heard it before!  I did a lyric search and found out it was a song by Tommy James & The Shondells called, "Sugar On Sunday".  

I'm so glad to hear this tune because so many other songs he sang like Crimson & Clover and Mony, Mony seem to get the most airtime around here!

Another group called, The Clique recorded the song and managed to take it to 22 on the charts back in 1969.

The Clique was from Beaumont Tx., they did a cover of Splash 1 by The 13th Floor Elevators.

21 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Been rather addicted to this song the last few days. 

I love that one.

I probably need something like this for change. It's been mostly Linkin Park for me lately, mixed with some anti-war songs.

• Love 2
(edited)

Currently listening to "Baltos Varnos" (White Ravens) live concert album "Virsmas" (Change) released in 2019. It's a local Lithuanian band that became popular barely a couple of years ago with their debut album "Dar Nedaviau Tau Vardo" (Still Haven't Named You Yet). It's a mix of acoustic folk, pop and some light jazz influences. Hence, the name of the band - white raven it's an idiom in our country meaning to stand out from the crowd (and not always in a positive way).

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I love that one.

I probably need something like this for change. It's been mostly Linkin Park for me lately, mixed with some anti-war songs.

It's such a pretty song :)! That chorus is just so...<3. I first heard it a few years ago when I worked at our local bookstore - they would pipe in music in the main area of the mall and so I'd catch some of the songs as they played, and that one popped up every now and again, and I was always happy to hear it. And then the other day I came across it again when poking around on YouTube and I just can't stop playing it :D. 

Anti-war songs are always worth a listen, too, yes! Certainly cathartic and relatable. And ah, Linkin Park...flashbacks to my high school years there (I pretty much just know their big hits, but boy, were they popular). It is nice to have a mix of stuff like that, yes - I'm like that, too, with the music I listen to :D. Go from pretty and soft to angsty and dark and back. Keeps things interesting, LOL. 

• Love 1

When the war started, I have been listening a lot to the late Czech singer/songwriter Karel Kryl, who was famous for his criticism of the russian invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 (he later emigrated, so he could get away with it). There are some parallels with the current situation, even though back then it was significantly less bloody, with "only" about hundred victims. I know a lot of people who remember it have been experiencing flashbacks to that time now.

I was already familiar with his songs, but now I see them under a sort of new light and it's horrific how much of it is relevant again.

This one is the most famous, kind of synonymous with the invasion:

Bratříčku, zavírej vrátka (Little brother, close the gate)

I don't think there's any official translation, so my amateur attempt:

Little brother, don't cry, those are not monsters from under the bed.

You are grown-up now, those are just soldiers.

They came in square, iron caravans.

With a tear in our eyes, we look at each other.

Come with me, little brother, I'm worried about you.

On sinuous roads, little brother in your moccasins.

It is raining and it got dark outside.

This night is not going to be short.

The wolf has gotten a taste for the sheep.

Little brother, did you close the gate?

Little brother, don't cry, don't waste your tears.

Swallow your curses and save your strength.

You can't blame me if we don't reach the end.

Learn the song, it is not so hard.

Lean on me, little brother, the road is broken.

We will walk, we can't go back now.

It is raining and it got dark outside.

This night is not going to be short.

The wolf has gotten a taste for the sheep.

Little brother, close the gate.

Close the gate.

And this one is less famous, but more intense:

Tak Vás tu Máme (So you are here)

So you are here, brothers from the blood of Cain.

Envoys of the night that stabs a dagger in the back.

So you are here, brothers, grandsons of Stalin.

But not like yesterday, today you come without flowers.

Thank you for your iron doves of peace.

And thank you for your kisses that taste of bitter almonds.

In this beautiful country, you murdered faith.

With red darts on the road, like a monument to the fallen.

Huge thanks to you and warm hugs.

For provocations and for shooting at children.

And may our homes be your homes.

Only witnesses are graveyards that smell with lead.

I know, it would be a mistake to spit at monuments.

We still have some hope, we were, are and will be.

(in russian):

Thank you very much, brothers occupiers.

Thank you very much, we will never forget.

We will never forget.

• Love 2

Continuing on with Bon Jovi's discography. Two albums left. Currently on "Burning Bridges" (2015), and while, his first couple of albums were a hit or miss for me, mostly miss, but this one is probably the first one that I actually dislike. Seven songs out of ten in and only "Fingerprints" is different enough to warrant me saying: "Wow, this is pretty good".

• Love 1

Okey, the current-most Bon Jovi album is pretty good (for what the group has released since 2010 at least). Probably the best from 2010-2020 era, I'll give it that. Plus, it has some pretty good guitar solos and licks, which I haven't heard from them in a quite a while. Maybe a little too social problems at times, but way better than: "Hey, look at my properties that I bought and built" album.

Blood in the Water, while not as "punching" ballad as, for example, Dry County, but it's pretty close.

If I had to make a list of their albums it would go as:

1) Keep the Faith - 10/10

2) 2020 - 9/10

3) Have A Nice Day - 8.5/10

4) These Days - 8.3/10

5) Crush - 8/10

6) This House is Not For Sale - 7.9/10

7) Lost Highway - 7.5/10

8) New Jersey - 7.4/10

9) Slippery When Wet - 7.3/10

10) 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit - 7/10

11) Bounce - 6.7/10

12) Burning Bridges - 6/10

13) The Circle - 5.8/10

14) What About Now - 5/10

14) Bon Jovi - 4.4/10

Solo albums:

Blaze of Glory and Destination Anywhere 9/10 and 10/10 respectively.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, Rushmoras said:

Okey, the current-most Bon Jovi album is pretty good (for what the group has released since 2010 at least). Probably the best from 2010-2020 era, I'll give it that. Plus, it has some pretty good guitar solos and licks, which I haven't heard from them in a quite a while. Maybe a little too social problems at times, but way better than: "Hey, look at my properties that I bought and built" album.

Blood in the Water, while not as "punching" ballad as, for example, Dry County, but it's pretty close.

If I had to make a list of their albums it would go as:

1) Keep the Faith - 10/10

2) 2020 - 9/10

3) Have A Nice Day - 8.5/10

4) These Days - 8.3/10

5) Crush - 8/10

6) This House is Not For Sale - 7.9/10

7) Lost Highway - 7.5/10

8) New Jersey - 7.4/10

9) Slippery When Wet - 7.3/10

10) 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit - 7/10

11) Bounce - 6.7/10

12) Burning Bridges - 6/10

13) The Circle - 5.8/10

14) What About Now - 5/10

14) Bon Jovi - 4.4/10

Solo albums:

Blaze of Glory and Destination Anywhere 9/10 and 10/10 respectively.

Me, I'd take 8, 9, 10, and 15 (mislabeled as #14.2) and put them near the top. I think "Keep The Faith" was the last listenable album the band did. But, opinions, etc.

This topic is now sort of ironic since Alec Such, the original bassist, has just passed away.

• Useful 1

Few days ago started Joss Stone discography. She has a strong and really powerful voice, but... that wasn't enough to catch my attention. Five albums in, and two good albums (7.9/10 (Mind, Body and Soul (2004)) and 7.7/10 (Colour Me Free (2009)) and three mediocre albums. Or maybe I just don't like soul music, I don't know.

"Karma" from her 2011 album "LP1" 🤘

So, finished Joss Stone discography just now. And, I've got to say, the last album is the blandest music in general that I have ever heard yet. I have no idea whether I liked it or not, probably not, if this was on the radio, I'd turn to another radio station, me thinks. Her strongest album was The Soul Session Vol. 2 from 2012 (8.2/10 in my opinion), second best Mind, Body and Soul from 2004 (7.9/10) (which was the first album many years back that introduced me to her) and Colour Me Free from 2009 (7.7/10). Rest ranging from unmemorable to just okey for me (but given the chance, would switch to other radio station).

I wanted something less depressing but still nostalgic, so I listened to a lot of Phil Collins for past few days. My favorite songs are In the air tonight and Can't stop loving you.

Also a random song that can cheer me up is Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, even though I don't really know many other songs from her:

• Love 1

I've been hearing "In the Air Tonight" on our local classic rock station on occasion. It's a good song. Was one of my dad's favorites, too. I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for Phil Collins' music in general, both with Genesis and during his solo career, just 'cause hearing him gives me some childhood nostalgia, as I remember him being all over the radio when I was little. "Land of Confusion" was one of the earliest songs/music videos I ever remember hearing/seeing - I used to laugh at the part where the Nancy Reagan puppet bopped her husband in the head. Apparently anytime I saw that video, I used to go try to find my dad afterwards so I could bop him on the head, too :p. 

And "Torn"....hello, teenage flashbacks :D. I didn't realize until recently that her version was a cover. I can't remember who did it originally, but she had the big hit with it, of course. She gets extra cool points from me 'cause she once covered a Crowded House song (which makes sense, given both artists are from Australia), and since they're one of my favorite bands, well...:). 

She had another song that was a minor hit, "Wishing I Was There". I liked that song, too. 

• Love 3

Been listening to Jazz oddly enough.  I'd accidentally found a YT channel that plays Gerry Mulligan's Night Lights album (1963).  It's so tranquil and perfect for a rainy day too!  The only drawback is the entire album is over in 31 minutes!!

• Love 2